Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,832 members, 7,810,201 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:28 PM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (66) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (677293 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:44pm On Nov 19, 2014
Adeyinka2014:
Dear VO,
Thanks for taking the time once again to read this post, its well and greatly appreiated.
this was on 23rd of October
Adeyinka2014:
Good evening visa officer, thanks so much for taking the time out to answer questions, really much appreciated. My question is this, my husband filed an immigrant visa petition for me in 2012, it was approved by USCIS, but I was denied a visa at the visa interview in lagos. I was told I was eligible to file for an i601 waiver on grounds of inadmissibility, we have since filed the i601 waiver, and the waiver was Approved on the 13th of August 2014. I was also mailed a confirmation notice of approval, which indicated that all processing by USCIS was now complete, And we should wait for the us consulate to contact us. It's been a little over 2 months now, and we are yet to hear from the us consulate in lagos. I sent an email about a month ago to lagosIV@state.gov, indicating my email address and contact phone nos. I just wanted to know if it usually takes this long, or if they had been trying to reach me. Thanks

This was your response

After which I sent an email to LagosIv@state.gov, mentioning Nairaland, and also updating my contact information with the embassy, but I got no response at all. It's been over three months since the approval of the i601. Please I would appreciate any help given as I am confused as to why its taking this long.
Thanks so very much and God bless

Hmm, odd. Could you e-mail us again? I'll keep an eye out for it.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Ummuslimah: 2:45pm On Nov 19, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Aside from the fact that that petition would have expired years ago, under U.S. law (8 CFR 205.1), upon written notice of withdrawal filed by the petitioner, the approval of an immediate relative or other family-sponsored petition (other than Amerasian petitions) is automatically revoked as of the date of approval, and the petition cannot be reinstated. So the petitioner would need to file a new petition on your behalf.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:46pm On Nov 19, 2014
justwise:

Welcome back VO, glad its all sorted now.. grin

I WAS GOING CRAZY WITH NO INTERNET.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Ummuslimah: 2:46pm On Nov 19, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Aside from the fact that that petition would have expired years ago, under U.S. law (8 CFR 205.1), upon written notice of withdrawal filed by the petitioner, the approval of an immediate relative or other family-sponsored petition (other than Amerasian petitions) is automatically revoked as of the date of approval, and the petition cannot be reinstated. So the petitioner would need to file a new petition on your behalf.

fiancé visa? If yes, does he av to write the embassy an invitation letter stating that we av renewed our relationship now and he wants me to visit himwith our daughter. Will such visitor visa be granted ma, tanks for ur help ma, may God be with u as well
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Ummuslimah: 2:48pm On Nov 19, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Ma can he still invite me as a visitor or it must be on the fiancé visa? If yes, does he av to write the embassy an invitation letter stating that we av renewed our relationship now and he wants me to visit himwith our daughter. Will such visitor visa be granted ma, tanks for ur help ma, may God be with u as well
(Modify) (Quote) (Report) (Share)
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:48pm On Nov 19, 2014
Ummuslimah:
Ma can he still invite me as a visitor or it must be on the fiancé visa? If yes, does he av to write the embassy an invitation letter stating that we av renewed our relationship now and he wants me to visit himwith our daughter. Will such visitor visa be granted ma, tanks for ur help ma, may God be with u as well

Greetings! If you intend to immigrate to the United States, he should file the I-129F for you as his fiancee. If you don't intend to immigrate, you can apply for a non-immigrant visa. Like all non-immigrant visa applicants, you'll need to convince the interviewing officer that you intend to abide by the terms and conditions of the visa.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:52pm On Nov 19, 2014
eoc4ever:
Welcome back ma.

Am writing this with tears in my eyes, my husband sent the requested contact sheet Nov 6th, he sent a case update yesterday to LagosIV@state.gov and today we got this response:

"Thank you for your email.

According to our records, we have not received the requested contact sheet. We advise that you should resend it and we would acknowledge receipt as soon as we receive it.

The contact sheet was sent on Nov 6th after my interview and we are surprised that the embassy didn't receive it.

Today my husband have resent the contact sheet and i also have forwarded the Nov 6th email with the attachment to LagosIV@state.gov

Please ma can you help to confirm the receipt of the contact sheet and any update on our case. LGS2014643058.

Thanks

I don't see it in the case notes -- BUT -- as you may have heard we are recovering from a major e-mail and internet outage, so we are behind on processing our messages. Please remind me to check again in a few days.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 2:53pm On Nov 19, 2014
omotfavy:
.tanx very much ma,it was her hubby dat filed for her thru F2a filing.

The baby can absolutely be included as a derivative. Please ask her to contact us as soon as possible.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by justwise(m): 2:57pm On Nov 19, 2014
VisaOfficer:

I WAS GOING CRAZY WITH NO INTERNET.

grin grin grin trust me i know the feeling. Good to have you back though.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by eoc4ever: 2:57pm On Nov 19, 2014
VisaOfficer:

I don't see it in the case notes -- BUT -- as you may have heard we are recovering from a major e-mail and internet outage, so we are behind on processing our messages. Please remind me to check again in a few days.

Ok ma. Will surely remind you. Thanks a lot ma
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:00pm On Nov 19, 2014
Now that I'm caught up, I want to repeat something I wrote in an earlier reply.

I have to say I'm getting a little uncomfortable with being asked about specific cases in this forum. Really specific cases that necessitate the sharing of people's case numbers should be directed to LagosIV@state.gov. That's because not all cases are as straightforward as others appear to be. On some rare occasions, Nairalanders are asking questions about their specific cases when I'm privy to information associated with their cases that I would never discuss in a public forum. So it's impossible for me to provide a candid answer, because I'm privy to more information than the person has shared online. Thus, I'm going to attempt to bring this forum back to a more general level -- answering the questions asked, but not looking up the specific cases unless there's a compelling reason to do so.

I'd also add that I can never give additional information about cases under administrative processing. There are many different reasons for administrative processing, and discussing some but not others is simply unfair to everyone. So I'm afraid my answers about people's administrative processing are never going to be satisfactory.

Thank you all for your understanding!

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by omotfavy(f): 3:02pm On Nov 19, 2014
VisaOfficer:

The baby can absolutely be included as a derivative. Please ask her to contact us as soon as possible.
.d hubby isn a citizen yet,op it doesnt matter
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Lepetitechic(f): 3:05pm On Nov 19, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Hi! Yes, we've finally started to use social media to get our messages out. It's an exciting time to be a Consular officer!

Your fiance should have received an e-mail which begins: "The U.S. Consulate General in Lagos is ready to begin final processing of your approved K1 visa petition. Kindly request your fiance/fiancee (the applicant) to visit any branch of Guaranty Trust Bank PLC in Nigeria to pay the K1 visa processing fee of $265; and after that, follow the instructions for fiance/fiancee visa applicants attached to this email." If not, please e-mail us at LagosIV@state.gov and ask how to make an appointment. Thanks!

Good afternoon and welcome back Ma,its so nice to have you back on naira land smiley I will tell him to check his email. hmm I'm sorry but I'm a little confused my fiancé said he paid a visa fee when he started the processing is it the same one we are supposed to pay at GTBank or it's a different one? thank you once again for your kind response Ma.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Ummuslimah: 3:10pm On Nov 19, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Greetings! If you intend to immigrate to the United States, he should file the I-129F for you as his fiancee. If you don't intend to immigrate, you can apply for a non-immigrant visa. Like all non-immigrant visa applicants, you'll need to convince the interviewing officer that you intend to abide by the terms and conditions of the visa.

Thank you so much for the prompt reply . For the visitor visa application ma, does he have to indicate in the invitation letter that the we r now back together (Cos in 2009 he sent them a letter that we r no longer in a relationship and that was why the fiancé visa application was revoked).
I also want to know that if on getting to the embassy , will the last fiancé visa that I was denied (due to what my husband wrote to them initially) not stand against me.
Also do I need pictures of our reunion to convince them we r now back together among other documents. Thanks for ur patience. May God reward u. Kindly help answer the 3 questions
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:35pm On Nov 19, 2014
omotfavy:
.d hubby isn a citizen yet,op it doesnt matter

It's actually good in this case that the husband is still a Legal Permanent Residents. If he were a U.S. citizen, he would need to file a whole new petition for his child. IR1 and CR1 petitions don't allow derivatives.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:36pm On Nov 19, 2014
Lepetitechic:

Good afternoon and welcome back Ma,its so nice to have you back on naira land smiley I will tell him to check his email. hmm I'm sorry but I'm a little confused my fiancé said he paid a visa fee when he started the processing is it the same one we are supposed to pay at GTBank or it's a different one? thank you once again for your kind response Ma.

There's a fee to file the petition at USCIS, and a separate fee for the interview.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:36pm On Nov 19, 2014
Ummuslimah:

Thank you so much for the prompt reply . For the visitor visa application ma, does he have to indicate in the invitation letter that the we r now back together (Cos in 2009 he sent them a letter that we r no longer in a relationship and that was why the fiancé visa application was revoked).
I also want to know that if on getting to the embassy , will the last fiancé visa that I was denied (due to what my husband wrote to them initially) not stand against me.
Also do I need pictures of our reunion to convince them we r now back together among other documents. Thanks for ur patience. May God reward u. Kindly help answer the 3 questions

These are questions for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Lepetitechic(f): 3:57pm On Nov 19, 2014
VisaOfficer:

There's a fee to file the petition at USCIS, and a separate fee for the interview.

Okay thank you for your response. I am truly grateful. Does the email contain the things I need to come with for the interview?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:05pm On Nov 19, 2014
Lepetitechic:

Okay thank you for your response. I am truly grateful. Does the email contain the things I need to come with for the interview?

It should. If not, http://photos.state.gov/libraries/nigeria/487468/pdfs/Interview_Prep_Packet_K1-K3_SEP14.pdf is the document that we send people who are waiting for K1 interviews.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Lepetitechic(f): 4:17pm On Nov 19, 2014
VisaOfficer:

It should. If not, http://photos.state.gov/libraries/nigeria/487468/pdfs/Interview_Prep_Packet_K1-K3_SEP14.pdf is the document that we send people who are waiting for K1 interviews.

Thank you Ma. God bless you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by omotfavy(f): 4:19pm On Nov 19, 2014
VisaOfficer:

It's actually good in this case that the husband is still a Legal Permanent Residents. If he were a U.S. citizen, he would need to file a whole new petition for his child. IR1 and CR1 petitions don't allow derivatives.
.Ma,i cant thank u enuf for this eye opening,she has sent an email via DELETED ,pls kindly help follow it up,her case no is LGS2013738003-DELETED .May God bless u ma.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by justwise(m): 4:30pm On Nov 19, 2014
omotfavy:
.Ma,i cant thank u enuf for this eye opening,she has sent an email via DELETED ,pls kindly help follow it up,her case no is LGS2013738003-DELETED .May God bless u ma.

There is no need for personal details or email address.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Adeyinka2014: 4:41pm On Nov 19, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Hmm, odd. Could you e-mail us again? I'll keep an eye out for it.

Thanks so much VO. God bless you. I'll send another email, my case number is LGS2012616001.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by fasiel: 4:58pm On Nov 19, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Well, I can't speak for Ethiopia, and I don't know the details of your case, so you should ask them. But I can tell you that if a person has EVER received any time of immigration benefit as an adopted child, that person can never obtain any type of immigration benefit for or from his or her biological parents afterward.

I remember that you wrote that the case is in Ethiopia?
ya in ethiopia
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by fasiel: 4:59pm On Nov 19, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Well, I can't speak for Ethiopia, and I don't know the details of your case, so you should ask them. But I can tell you that if a person has EVER received any time of immigration benefit as an adopted child, that person can never obtain any type of immigration benefit for or from his or her biological parents afterward.

I remember that you wrote that the case is in Ethiopia?
ya in ethiopia & tnx for ur response
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by taikay: 5:21pm On Nov 19, 2014
Greetings ma,
Please ma i was suppose to pick up my visa today which i tracked it and It has bin showing (there's no update on the passport number submitted),i wanna no if it sumtyms takes more than 5days before i can pIck it up.Its an immigrant visa(my dad is the petitioner)
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by onuzulikenma(f): 6:09pm On Nov 19, 2014
MA just want to appreciate u, you re a good woman hoping to see u one day.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by JASM: 7:08pm On Nov 19, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Hi JASM,

When a Consular officer is not convinced that a K1, IR1, or CR1 relationship is bona fide, the petition is returned to USCIS with a memo explaining the officer's findings. The cases remain in "administrative processing" status because they are still open pending action by USCIS. In IR1 and CR1 cases, USCIS will contact the petitioner and ask for more information. Unfortunately, because K1 petitions are only valid for four months, USCIS usually does not contact K1 petitioners. Instead, the petitioners can file a new petition if they so desire. You can reach out to USCIS directly if you feel you can present a compelling argument as to why they should reaffirm the K petition, but if it has already expired, they usually will not do so. I hope this information helps.

Hi VisaOfficer,

Welcome back and thank you very much for your response. I have been reading about cases that get transferred from the consulate back to USCIS and it says that they can take anywhere from 2-3 months before they reach USCIS. Our K1 petition is set to expire January 10 which is less than 2 months away so I will reach out to USCIS and hopefully they will allow me to submit the additional proof. Since the interview my fiancé and I have been speaking about the possibility of me traveling to Nigeria next year to do the wedding since we're not sure anymore that having the wedding in the US will be a possibility, that's if the K1 is revoked. As much as I would love to travel back to Nigeria to be with him and his family and don't mind having the wedding there, so much time, money, tears, etc. have been spent on the K1 process to just let it go.. especially when we felt that the validity of our relationship would be apparent during his interview cry. Thank you so much for your advice and all that you do. Very very much appreciated, God bless you!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by bodescous: 8:35pm On Nov 19, 2014
Hi VO and welcome back to the forum.We really missed you here..I will like to ask if you have an idea of when case would be completed/ approved after sending it to USCIS....(months)??.My wife who is a LPR just sent out the I-130 form this week..Am trying to prepare myself for the wait time as I know how tiring the process is because of the loneliness.. Pls,any share idea would be appreciated. Thank u.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by keepmegoing(m): 8:41pm On Nov 19, 2014
VO, please my brother's wife is coming to USA to have baby with Visiting Visa. I want to know if this is possible and what are the likely questions to be asked at the POE? Can she come with her B1 b2 visa and have baby in the United states? Thank you for your response.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by florajolasupo: 11:10pm On Nov 19, 2014
Thank you so much for the reply ma, I will start getting my visa renewal documents together to travel down to Nigeria so I can be with my man for his Interview hopefully he comes back to the US with me smiley grin . Whoooooah I'm getting so excited already.

VisaOfficer:

NVC is currently scheduling January appointments, so if your case is complete, you have a good chance of being scheduled in January or February.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Oreos1984: 5:00am On Nov 20, 2014
Hello C/O I have a question regarding my pending I-130 case. My husband applied for a travels visa in October 2012 . At that time we was not married he was denied. While preparing to apply for traveler visa he hired a person to assist him with the paperwork. At this point the travel agent informed him to put married on his application so he did and so a married certificate was given to him to use by travel agent but the visa was denied . In 2013 February I went to Nigeria to Marry my husband unbeknown to me the previous had happened. We filed our case in March 2013 case complete in April 2014 interview June 2014 at that time in the interview he was question bout the wife that was used on travel visa . We got denied . My question is will he ever make it to usa now ? Please please help !!!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) ... (223)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.