Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,085 members, 7,814,757 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:07 PM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (79) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (677850 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) ... (223) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by dgman11234: 3:50pm On Dec 23, 2014
I got married to my US Citizen wife recently. Now she wants to file I-130 for me, my question is; what should be her last name? Is she suppose to use my last name while filling the form? Note that she has not done change of name.

How long do I have to wait from filing of I-130 to getting appointment date?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:39pm On Dec 23, 2014
noberu10:
Hi VO,
I attended a k1 interview and I was told the divorce decree I submitted could not be verified. I contacted my lawyer at the time the divorce took place , and he has contacted the high court with other evidence in his record.
I ask the VO that interviewed me if I could be given extention so as to get my lawyer get in touch with the high court to show that I was actually divorced ( 8 years ago) but he refused instead I was given a white sheet stating your petition will be returned under section 221g.
My fiancee has tried everything possible to see that the petition is not returned but to no avail.
Now we want to get married and file for spousal visa.
My question is what do we do before we file for the spousal visa?
Do I bring the new evidence that shows that I was actually divorced?
Will we need file for a weaver?

Kind of confused here.

Well, when the divorce decree can't be verified, what that means is that we've checked with the court that allegedly issued it and they have confirmed that they in fact did not actually issue it. To us, that's strong evidence of a fraudulent document. Under such circumstances it's normal for us to close the case and return it with a recommendation that the petition be revoked.

I would advise all parties to make sure they are truly, legally divorced from any previous spouses, and then if you still plan to marry, you may do so. The spouse in the U.S. can then file the I-130.

Often USCIS chooses not to enter a finding of ineligibility under INA 212(a)(6)(c)(i) when there is a fraudulent document in a K case, so chances are good that you won't need a waiver if you do everything properly the next time around. (USCIS recognizes that sometimes the fraud originates with attorneys who tell people they'll take care of their divorce, rather than with the parties to the divorce themselves.)
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:50pm On Dec 23, 2014
omotfavy:
Helo goodmorning and compliment of d season ma. Ma,imagine last week mondayi was at d embassy to submit my passport n dat of my kids, i was cald on wed to appear on thurs again for my child's birth cert (d one i justadded as a. Derivative),we did interview and was askd to cum this week for our visa,just today again,i was called dat i didnt swear oathdat i shld cum over again.Ekiti-lagos inst a small journey,this shlould have been done d day i came.Am just terribly angry and confused now,case no is LGs 2013738003.

Yes, it should have been done the day you came and it is perfectly acceptable to be angry under the circumstances. I apologize and will apologize in person when you return. But considering that you've already sworn an oath for yourself, I've thought of a solution that will let you collect all the passports & visas at the same time as when you return to do the child's oath - unless you were planning to have someone pick everything up on your behalf at the collection center? Let me know if you were planning to send someone else to the collection center, and if so, I'll keep thinking this through...
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:53pm On Dec 23, 2014
Realmason:
Hello All,

I have the following queries to make:

Next May 1- 5 is my coronation as the next King of my Community and People.

Recently, one of my subject and a bosom friend had his father also a very highly prized member of my community; invited me to play host as guest and best man of his son - my friend, since i am not yet married. I obliged and now i am getting set having discussed this with my employer and company Board of Directors. Some of the followings are the necessary documents i currently have; would want to know if there are other documents i should secure since Wednesday 28th, 2015 is my appointment date:

1. Invitation Letter from my Subject - who also has a reputable company in the US state of Delaware
2. Approval of Leave Letter from Company
3. Letter of Introduction and Confirmation from Company
4. Appointment/Employment Letter
5. Letter of Attestation from my Traditional Ruling Council, signed by the Secretary on behalf of Community, nobles and peoples of my community
6. About 2years Payslip, since i have been working with the company for 3yrs now, where pay slip states my net monthly of about N1,085,601.67
7. Bank Statements
8. Company ID Card
9. Coronation Invitation Card
10. I am engaged, not yet married, but i have a Son who's my heir (with Birth Certificate)
11. I have other ID cards as members of Organizations like National Youth Council of Nigeria (Vice President - South South), Centre For Development Research, Federation of Boys and Girls Club of Nigeria, Youth Parliament, Red Cross, Association of Ethnic Nationalities - Edo State Chapter, etc

Above are some of the items, i have in possession; can this work?

Again, I don't own a house, but inheritance of my thrown as Emerging King; i don't have papers for this as i can invariable take it with me. Furthermore, i have landed property stretching to about 231 hecters belonging to my Family; i have the title, but don't also feel comfortable taking this along with me.

Can this be of any help, and if you think there are other things that can be added to this documents, please drop a comment.

Thanx

This is a question for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by omotfavy(f): 4:57pm On Dec 23, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Yes, it should have been done the day you came and it is perfectly acceptable to be angry under the circumstances. I apologize and will apologize in person when you return. But considering that you've already sworn an oath for yourself, I've thought of a solution that will let you collect all the passports & visas at the same time as when you return to do the child's oath - unless you were planning to have someone pick everything up on your behalf at the collection center? Let me know if you were planning to send someone else to the collection center, and if so, I'll keep thinking this through...
.i plan to come in person ma
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 5:00pm On Dec 23, 2014
iamoluwafemi:

Good afternoon ma,

We finally had our interview today without the medical results for the kids. I am glad we were attended to very well, the CO was very professional and we indeed had fun. However, the officer seems unconvinced that our relationship/marriage is bona fide, please , my wife will be coming into the country in few days and may be here for a month, please can we get another interview , just as you once suggested to us --Just hoping this could really help our situations. Our case numbers are LGS2014572028, LGS2014625024 and LGS2014625026.

Thanks for your support.

Greetings! Well, reading the case notes, I can see how the officer reached the conclusion that he reached. I'm not sure an additional interview with the petitioner would be of assistance at this stage. As the petitioner plans to be in Nigeria, I'll ask the officer for his opinion tomorrow, but the decision will be up to him and I'm not in the habit of pressuring my officers about their decisions.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 5:02pm On Dec 23, 2014
omotfavy:
.i plan to come in person ma

Well, good, at least I can keep you from wasting a trip to Lagos. We do need your oath for the child but I can see to it that when you leave us, you'll leave with your immigration packets and passports. Again, my apologies.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 5:05pm On Dec 23, 2014
dgman11234:
I got married to my US Citizen wife recently. Now she wants to file I-130 for me, my question is; what should be her last name? Is she suppose to use my last name while filling the form? Note that she has not done change of name.

How long do I have to wait from filing of I-130 to getting appointment date?

She should file using whatever her legal name is. There are a variety of customs for family names after marriage in the U.S., and we don't consider it odd for a woman to keep her original name.

For US citizen spouses, assuming the petition is filed with all necessary documents, the time from filing to appointment is running around six to eight months at present, I believe.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by omotfavy(f): 5:14pm On Dec 23, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Well, good, at least I can keep you from wasting a trip to Lagos. We do need your oath for the child but I can see to it that when you leave us, you'll leave with your immigration packets and passports. Again, my apologies.
.thanks very much ma,u are such a blessing,may God bless u and make u happy,may u know no sorrow.i hope i dont have to come with the baby?.can i make the trip on mon instead of the jan 9 d woman dat called me said?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 5:18pm On Dec 23, 2014
omotfavy:
.thanks very much ma,u are such a blessing,may God bless u and make u happy,may u know no sorrow.i hope i dont have to come with the baby?.can i make the trip on mon instead of the jan 9 d woman dat called me said?

Given that it's our mistake, just tell me when you'd like to come and if we're open I'll accomodate you. We've seen the baby, so no need for her to return. By Monday do you mean next Monday, Dec. 29?

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by omotfavy(f): 5:27pm On Dec 23, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Given that it's our mistake, just tell me when you'd like to come and if we're open I'll accomodate you. We've seen the baby, so no need for her to return. By Monday do you mean next Monday, Dec. 29?
.yes ma
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by omotfavy(f): 5:27pm On Dec 23, 2014
VisaOfficer:

.yes ma abi when do u think i can cum ma
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 5:33pm On Dec 23, 2014
omotfavy:
.yes ma abi when do u think i can cum ma

I've got you down for 10:00 on Dec. 29.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by omotfavy(f): 6:37pm On Dec 23, 2014
VisaOfficer:

I've got you down for 10:00 on Dec. 29.
.Thanks maam
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by iamoluwafemi: 8:30pm On Dec 23, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Greetings! Well, reading the case notes, I can see how the officer reached the conclusion that he reached. I'm not sure an additional interview with the petitioner would be of assistance at this stage. As the petitioner plans to be in Nigeria, I'll ask the officer for his opinion tomorrow, but the decision will be up to him and I'm not in the habit of pressuring my officers about their decisions.

Alright and Thank you ma. I will be glad to read and hear the good news from the officer tomorrow! Do have a great day. Thank you once again.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by onyiblanche: 5:09am On Dec 24, 2014
Good morning . Thanks for this forum. Please a pettition for an immigrant visa was filed for my husband about 12years ago by his elder brother.this was before we even met and got married. Finally this year it came through , he received packet 4, came to lagos for the interview, was told myself and the kids could benefit from the petition, was asked to pay some money but he didn't hv cash on him, was also asked to fill the ds 260 form for me and our two kids . About a month later he came back to pay but a lady at the reception area told him he didn't need to pay anything that we should just go and fill the forms but to acess the form we are asked to provide our case num and invoice I'd which the kids and I don't hv, when we use my husbands case no and invoice I'd its only my husbands case that appears. Please can we acess the ds 260 if we hv not paid, if not please how do we pay, can we come and pay in cash at the consulate in lagos. Pls help we have already done our medical exams its only this ds-260 that's left for us to schedule an interview.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 6:58am On Dec 24, 2014
Hello VO.

Compliments of the season. Would you please advise on the appropriate way to get an appointment date for a B1/ B2 visa for an infant. The rest of the family has this class of visa valid till August 2015. We've filled the DS 160 and paid as well, but every time we try to book an appointment the response we get is 'there are currently no appointments available'.

Would appreciate your kind advice. I'm also aware we can call to schedule an appointment, but I don't the phone number for that. It would be great if you can help with that too.

Thank you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by noberu10: 7:27am On Dec 24, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Well, when the divorce decree can't be verified, what that means is that we've checked with the court that allegedly issued it and they have confirmed that they in fact did not actually issue it. To us, that's strong evidence of a fraudulent document. Under such circumstances it's normal for us to close the case and return it with a recommendation that the petition be revoked.

I would advise all parties to make sure they are truly, legally divorced from any previous spouses, and then if you still plan to marry, you may do so. The spouse in the U.S. can then file the I-130.

Often USCIS chooses not to enter a finding of ineligibility under INA 212(a)(6)(c)(i) when there is a fraudulent document in a K case, so chances are good that you won't need a waiver if you do everything properly the next time around. (USCIS recognizes that sometimes the fraud originates with attorneys who tell people they'll take care of their divorce, rather than with the parties to the divorce themselves.)

Thanks for your response. I have initiated an investigation process with the high court with the documents I had then to find out why my divorce could not be verified, because all this time I've been under the assumption that I was truly legally divorced. Are you saying the consulate will only accept a new divorce decree and not the same divorce decree even if am able to get it verified that I am truly legally divorced?

What gets me confused here is my ex has remarried since I guess with same divorce decree.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:16am On Dec 24, 2014
iamoluwafemi:

Alright and Thank you ma. I will be glad to read and hear the good news from the officer tomorrow! Do have a great day. Thank you once again.

The officer told me that if he had known the petitioner was coming he would have asked to see her. Please send an e-mail to us at LagosIVscheduling@state.gov letting us know when the two of you are available. We can see you on a Thursday or Friday (no holidays). Thanks!
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:28am On Dec 24, 2014
onyiblanche:
Good morning . Thanks for this forum. Please a pettition for an immigrant visa was filed for my husband about 12years ago by his elder brother.this was before we even met and got married. Finally this year it came through , he received packet 4, came to lagos for the interview, was told myself and the kids could benefit from the petition, was asked to pay some money but he didn't hv cash on him, was also asked to fill the ds 260 form for me and our two kids . About a month later he came back to pay but a lady at the reception area told him he didn't need to pay anything that we should just go and fill the forms but to acess the form we are asked to provide our case num and invoice I'd which the kids and I don't hv, when we use my husbands case no and invoice I'd its only my husbands case that appears. Please can we acess the ds 260 if we hv not paid, if not please how do we pay, can we come and pay in cash at the consulate in lagos. Pls help we have already done our medical exams its only this ds-260 that's left for us to schedule an interview.

It sounds to me like your name and your children's names have not been added to the case in our computer, and that's why you can't access them. Your case number and invoice ID will be the same as your husband's. Could you send us an e-mail at LagosIV@state.gov asking us to add the names to the case? We'll also need to know genders and dates of birth.

You don't have to pay to access those applications, but the lady in the reception area was wrong to say you don't need to pay (unless someone already paid the fees for you). Derivatives in IV cases are also charged for the interview. You can pay the next time you come to see us. Meanwhile, I'll go instruct the lady in the reception area...

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:28am On Dec 24, 2014
MrsDGN:
Hello VO.

Compliments of the season. Would you please advise on the appropriate way to get an appointment date for a B1/ B2 visa for an infant. The rest of the family has this class of visa valid till August 2015. We've filled the DS 160 and paid as well, but every time we try to book an appointment the response we get is 'there are currently no appointments available'.

Would appreciate your kind advice. I'm also aware we can call to schedule an appointment, but I don't the phone number for that. It would be great if you can help with that too.

Thank you.

This is a question for my non-immigrant visa colleagues at https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening .
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 9:35am On Dec 24, 2014
noberu10:

Thanks for your response. I have initiated an investigation process with the high court with the documents I had then to find out why my divorce could not be verified, because all this time I've been under the assumption that I was truly legally divorced. Are you saying the consulate will only accept a new divorce decree and not the same divorce decree even if am able to get it verified that I am truly legally divorced?

What gets me confused here is my ex has remarried since I guess with same divorce decree.

Can I ask if you personally went to court for the divorce proceedings, or did you let an attorney handle it?

If you can get it verified we will be eager to hear how you did so and why your results differed from ours. From our point of view, it's not that the decree couldn't be verified; it's that the court told us it's not a genuine document. My guess at this point is that when your ex got married, no one checked the decree... but if you have good evidence that what the court told us is wrong, we'd be glad to listen.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by noberu10: 3:18pm On Dec 24, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Can I ask if you personally went to court for the divorce proceedings, or did you let an attorney handle it?

If you can get it verified we will be eager to hear how you did so and why your results differed from ours. From our point of view, it's not that the decree couldn't be verified; it's that the court told us it's not a genuine document. My guess at this point is that when your ex got married, no one checked the decree... but if you have good evidence that what the court told us is wrong, we'd be glad to listen.

Yes, I did follow my lawyer to the court once. That is why I have initiated my own investigation because I know my divorce is 100% genuine. So I believe there must have been an error somewhere.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ayinba1(f): 3:31pm On Dec 24, 2014
VisaOfficer:

Whew, that's good news. Thanks, and I'm sorry you got an outdated form! I really appreciate your help and feedback.

Thanks VO,

We have a date January 16th. I will let you know how it goes and I pray all goes well. smiley
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by nalacandi(f): 5:54pm On Dec 24, 2014
Dear VO,

Please forgive I have a question . I've been informed that the embassy will be shutting down for a few weeks and I was not aware of this. Can u confirm this?

Also, is it not possible for us to request another interview to provide the documents that our attorney did not frontload which I feel has played a part in the decision made to place us in AP. My husbnd was just very nervous that day and we don't seem to be making any progress here.

I noticed you were able to do this for others. I really feel we have been placed on AP in error, if you want my honest opinion.

I am concerned that my inability to return to Nigeria has also contributed to the AP processing, but my mother had to have major spinal cord reconstructive surgery as her spinal cord was being slowly crushed and would have decapitaed her internally without the surgery and I am her medical POA. Now she is having complications and may require another surgery. My husband has offered to take care of her while I work as I will not be able to take off and stay with her in the hospital and rehab for 2 weeks, as I did before. My mother is praying my husband can be here soon, because she can see the sadness in me without him for so long, see we have been waiting 19 months since filing, as it is. Now, our status has changed as of today and we are celebrating our 2nd wedding anniversary apart, as of today. We are now a CR-1 Category.

To complicate matters further my uncle has been diagnosed with 2 additional precancerous areas, in addition to the pancreatic cancer he just survived. You see, my uncle is to walk me down the aisle for our American Reaffirmation of vows and we might need to change the date for that now that my husband won't be here for our anniversary on the 28th. I'm concerned my uncle might not survive much longer and I lost a father to suicide and my adoptive dad to cancer, already.

Honestly, I need my husband for this emotional support to get through these events and I truly desire that my uncle be able to walk me down the aisle, as I've stated my father is unable to do so and I would be devastated if this could not happen.

We want to do reaffirmation on Valentines Day in 2015 since it carries the same color scheme as our Christmas Wedding.

Please can't something be done here. We have all we need to prove a bona fide relationship, we provided it at his interview already, and we can provide it again, asap.

My family and my husbands family are in support of our marriage. We just want to prove that we are an honest couple in a truly bona fide relationship. We are ready to start our lives together and we want children, also. I may be older than him but I am still of childbearing age, as of now. We just want to start our lives and make new memories together. We talk several times a day, but it is not the same.

Sincerely,

Mr and Mrs Nalacandi
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by onyiblanche: 11:21pm On Dec 24, 2014
Thank you ma.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by hayjayfeez: 3:06am On Dec 25, 2014
Hello VO, compliment of the season ma. My sister's husband petition for her and she had her interview on Tuesday (12/23/2014) but before her interview, she gave birth to a bouncing baby boy in october. Pls ma, I would like to know why she was told that her case was pending. They also told her at embassy to apply for her son passport which she did yesterday.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 10:41am On Dec 25, 2014
Merry Christmas Everyone! May God bless you!

1 Like

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by mcaylife(m): 12:40pm On Dec 26, 2014
hello VO.. Compliments of the season to u and everyone. I have been a follower of this thread for a long time.. I got married to US citizen earlier this month in nigeria and she has traveled back to the US.. And in ur previous replies to questions u said it takes up to 6 to 8months before the spousal visa is approved for an interview.. Me and my wife cant wait that long to be with each other.. I want to ask how long will it take to get a k3 visa and what are the important things to do to fast track it.. All we wnt is ur advice. Thanks and av a good day.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by princessedo: 4:55pm On Dec 26, 2014
Visa officer, compliments of the season to you. I am currently going through the k1 visa process with my fiancé .i am preparing for my interview and trying to gather my documents together .
Please i want to make enquiries on the issues listed below:

Firstly, I my birth certificate issued when i was born in late 1980's but i heard that this old birth certificate is not recognized by the US embassy.
I have been to NPC in Surulere to make enquiries byr they said they can only issue out " Attestation of Birth" since i was born before NPC started doing BC's.

First question : Please i want to know if this "ATTESTATION OF BIRTH" from NPC is accepted by the embassy.

Secondly, i have filled my DS160 online already and gotten my confirmation page, but now im worried cause someone told me i was supposed to compulsorily upload my Passport photograph and I didn't do so. So my confirmation page does not have my passport photograph on it.

Second question: is it okay that I didn't upload a passport photograph? If it isn't then pls how do I go about rectifying this mistake

Thirdly, when I booked my interview, I was only able to input my first and last name, meanwhile on my DS160 I was asked for Surname and "Given names" so I wrote my surname, first name and middle name (just as it is on my intl passport) . So now my DS 160 and intl passport and all the supporting petition documents have my first name, middle name and surname on them, but my interview confirmation page has only my first name and surname.

Third question: is it okay or would it be a problem that my middle name is not on my interview confirmation (putting into consideration that my DS160 and intl passport have my surname, first and middle name on them)

Lastly, I heard of a new rule that the DS160 barcode number must be input during the process of booking your interview so that on your interview confirmation page the DS160 barcode would be there.

Last question: please does this new rule apply to immigrant visas ( specifically K1 category).

I would really appreciate a response as i am really confused right now.

Thank you very much .

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) ... (223)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.