Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,526 members, 7,826,978 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:50 AM

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening - Travel (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening (821239 Views)

A Comprehensive List Of The Documents Required For Visas / Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America / Illegal Immigrant Disguised As A Car Seat Caught (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (229) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 3:37pm On Sep 23, 2014
maddock: Hi Abujaniv,
Thank you for your assistance here,but please I asked a question that I would really appreciate your opinion. I asked some days back s regarding your earlier post as indicated below :

(abujaniv:
Applicants are welcome to reapply 90 days or more after their last interview, but we encourage applicants to research the section of the law under which they were refused (most commonly 214(b)), and assess whether or not anything has significantly changed in their situation that would make them more qualified to receive a visa. As to your specific chances, we cannot and will not speculate as to anyone's chances to be issued a visa).
[i][/i]

My question is still same as indicated before- I recently appled for a visa for a group study visit but 16 of us were denied and only 2 granted a visa. The executive leadership program was slated for september and november. So we were advised by the facilitators to re-apply for the november edition since we weren't successful to join the september edition. But looking at your response above as par 90days stuff, is it advisable to re-apply again for the november edition or wait out out the 90days. Talking about the section 214(b) which you advised that we should research is as indicated below and didn't really or couldn't understand why I was refused. Is the 90days a standard that MUST be adhere to or just an advise? My job is still the same with an excellent end of month take home, am still married for more than 8years with 2 kids, CAN NEVER stay an extra day more than the 5 intending days for the training etc etc.

The 90 days wait between applications is not a firm rule. You can wait less than 90 days before you file your next application, but it is not advisable.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 3:39pm On Sep 23, 2014
toydee: Hello! My b1/b2 visa expired January this year.i want to go for renewal, Pls how do I go about it?

Our website provides information on how to apply for a visa: http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/non-immigrant_visas.html

You should look to see if you are eligible to use our dropbox program.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 3:42pm On Sep 23, 2014
toydee: Good day VO! Can you please explain this part of the requirement further for me- The applicant has never been arrested nor had an encounter with law enforcement, customs, or immigration officials in the United States. 

Have you traveled to the United States in the past? If so, have you been arrested by the police, deported by immigration, or stopped at the border for trying to bring something in to the United States illegally? Have you ever been arrested in Nigeria or any other country? ---> if the answer to any of these questions is "yes" then mark "yes" on your application.

I hope that this helps?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 3:43pm On Sep 23, 2014
femi4wonders: Hello AbujaNiv, I need your advice, I applied for a US student visa( for my masters degree) 3 times last year and was denied, i was working for the government and also married and have also been to the UK and some african countries as part of my travelling experience.I was denied based on section 214b, that I don't have strong ties to my home country despite the fact that my father was my
Sponsor.
But my situation have changed now because i decided to purse my masters degree in Nigeria and have completed the program and also my father have handed over the family company to me to be the Managing Director ever since I finished my M.Sc, but I will want to apply for a visa to enable me attend a conference in the US but the problem is that I have lost my old passport but I have gotten a new passport. I hope this will not affect my application and also with the change in my case will it give me a high chance of getting the visa....thanks

If you believe that your circumstances have changed and that you are now qualified for a visa then you should apply again. Be prepared to explain how your life has changed in the past year to give you stronger ties to Nigeria.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 3:46pm On Sep 23, 2014
princemoyemi: Hi,
I went to d embassy today but I was not given d visa aπϑ dis Ȋ̝̊̅§ how it went
VO guud mornin
M̶̲̥̅ε̲̣̣̣̥ mornin ma
VO why. Do U̶̲̥̅̊ want to go to d state?
M̶̲̥̅ε̲̣̣̣̥ for bla bla bla
VO how much Ȋ̝̊̅§ my pay
How long do U̶̲̥̅̊ expect to stay

That's all aπϑ she said we are sorry you are not eligible. But I. Noticed was, dis VO's get tired afta sometym cos for dose of us dat our appointment was 10, we were most refused aπϑ people frm -8 were well given.
My question now Ȋ̝̊̅§ wen can I reapply?

We advise you to wait at least 90 days before you apply for a new visa. Read the letter that was provided for you at the interview because it will explain why your visa was denied. Each application is evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 3:56pm On Sep 23, 2014
aaa33: Hello VisaOfficer i need an advice/views about what am about to post here. I applied for American student visa in 2002. Before then I had attend and written a SAT exams in Lagos. Its a company that we paid to then to write the exams . On the day of my interview in Abuja. I was asked every document which I presented until the lady asked me if I wrote SAT I said yes. She demanded for it and I presented it to her. After a close look at it she flared up that its fake and showed a colleague of hers and he confirmed its fake. She said she ain't gonna allow me enter her country and stamped my passport after inputting some stuff to her computer. Its been years since that happened. I already finished my bsc here in Nigeria and my Msc is in view presently. I have a paid employment and am relatively doing well. The issue now is was I banned? If I go to apply for a visa again will the last incidence crop up? I lost the last passport to fire and intend to go do anothe. Pls what's your candid take on this. Kind regards.

We cannot comment on a specific case in this forum. The only way to know if you are permanently ineligible is to apply again and ask the consular officer at your interview. You should be as straightforward as you can during your interview about your past refusal if you are asked about it.
This is a good reminder to all of the younger readers on Nairaland that what happens at one visa interview can have a long impact. Make sure that you always bring valid documents to your visa interviews because while in your current circumstances you might not qualify for a visa, you might be qualified in the future and will not want to be found ineligible based on something that happened in your youth.

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 4:26pm On Sep 23, 2014
abujaniv:

If you believe that your circumstances have changed and that you are now qualified for a visa then you should apply again. Be prepared to explain how your life has changed in the past year to give you stronger ties to Nigeria.

Thanks Abujaniv for your response, you didn't address the issue of the lost passport because it shows evidence of my travelling experience, the difference in my travelling experience between the last time I applied for a visa and now is just that I travelled to Ghana before I lost the passport, but how will I prove this to the interviewer as there is no evidence apart from the previous DS-160 I filled which I believe will still be on the record.
And I also have a police report and sworn affidavit to the lost international passport. Pls advice me on what to do. Thanks
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 6:00pm On Sep 23, 2014
Hey Abujaniv

does a 17yr old need to accompanied by a legal guardian/parent for an F-1 visa interview?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by princemoyemi(m): 7:15pm On Sep 23, 2014
Good day all,
Can one appeal for a b1b2 visa? How long can one do dat cos I was denied. I was to attend a conference wit my colleague and d rest has be given so my company decided to appeal. The VO asked me just 3 question and decided my case. A question which I answerred correctly:
Where do I work?
How much is my pay?
Why am I goin to the state?
That's all.

I tink its better one choose 7:30 to 8 as appointment time cos dey give dose ppu around dat tym, frm 10-15 worst, tink dey are tired
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by d100: 12:22pm On Sep 24, 2014
Good afternoon Abujaniv,
I am a DV lottery winner but currently on AP. The deadline date is just a few days away and it seems i'll lose my eligibility because of the deadline September 30th time frame.
I've been wanting to apply for a U.S student visa but because I won the lottery thinking I was going to get the visa I halted.
So now I want to go ahead and apply for the student visa.
What are my chances?
1, I'm single but in my late 30's
2, I have been denied U.S student visa and visiting visas about 10 years back.
3, I actually waited this long so as to be able to sponsor myself to get educated.
4, Will the intent of being an immigrant because of the DV lottery I won become an issue for visa refusal?
Your honest response will be highly appreciated.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by aadeyi: 6:35pm On Sep 24, 2014
@abujaniv
Please I need an advise on my F-1 visa application
I have been given admission to two different schools in the us, one university and one community college.
I currently live and work in Dubai(7month) and am waiting for my 1-20 presently.
Since I don't have any tie to Dubai, is it advisable to apply from Dubai here or I should come and apply from Nigeria jejely, though I will b coming to Nigeria soon.

PS: also advised on which school to choose among d two, community college or university. I applied to both as a transfer student with my ND result.

Thanks
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Horluphysiryor(m): 9:54pm On Sep 24, 2014
Hi @ abujaniv thanks for the good work and I pray the almighty God will bless you abundantly, pls sir I filled my monthly salary in USD hope that's not going to affect my application. Waiting for ur swift response
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by bolajifive: 10:57pm On Sep 24, 2014
abujaniv:

Aside from the fact that you'll be interviewed by a Consular Officer, I cannot tell you what to expect. Just show up on time, and speak truthfully!

Thank you...AP was today and it went very well...Too God be the glory i have being asked to come pick my passport nxt week.
I was hardly asked any questions, the VO basically asked me to repeat what i had filled out in my form.
When i tried to even take out my documents she told me not to.
Handed me the white paper, and ticked where to go pick my passport.
Was done in 1minute.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by ykjnr(m): 11:46pm On Sep 24, 2014
Hi VO,
Recently, I advised a friend not to patronize a visa agent and presently he is of the opinion that i misguided him. the current picture of the scenario is thus: He applied for US visiting visa last year through an agent and was denied and presently he has been invited to an induction/get together by a networking organisation based in US as the sole representative here in Nigeria. he have filled DS 160 form on his own (based on my advice) but at the point of scheduling an appointment he was told that he previously have a PROFILE with a particular email address (the email that was used by the agent last year) He sent a mail explaining the true situation about the whole agent issue and ask the Consulate to recognize his new profile and he got a response to send his Passport data page and open a new email address which he did, he was later sent an email on Friday 19/09/2014 that his new email has been recognized that he should wait for a new generated password that will be send to him before he can access the new profile and schedule an appointment. Now he has sent series of email to the desk support services but yet to get a response for the new password as indicated in the last email. He have also call your phone line non-stop without success (actually i too help him dialed up the phone number to no avail). The event he plan on attending is fast approaching and yet he is yet to get the new password from your office that will enable him to schedule an appointment. The guy is presently at a dilemma, is in fact regretting not engaging the service of the agent. NB: IT WAS WRITING OF YOUR WEBSITE THAT RESPONSE IS WITHIN 24 -48 HOURS. His case number: Case-2014-09-18-004002796. Please use your good office to help on the situation and restore his faith in DIY as advocate by your good office. Thanks
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by bsafolabi: 10:11am On Sep 25, 2014
I will like to seek for advice on behalf of my mother, her 2years us visiting visa expired on 2nd of june 2012 and she is 69 years old now. I will like to ask may she is qualified for dropbox application for visa renewal
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 9:34am On Sep 26, 2014
cryptography: Hey Abujaniv

does a 17yr old need to accompanied by a legal guardian/parent for an F-1 visa interview?

There is no requirement for a 17 year old to appear with their parent at a visa interview; however, it can be helpful to have a parent present particularly if the parent is paying for your education or if they already have a visa to travel to the United States.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 9:36am On Sep 26, 2014
princemoyemi: Good day all,
Can one appeal for a b1b2 visa? How long can one do dat cos I was denied. I was to attend a conference wit my colleague and d rest has be given so my company decided to appeal. The VO asked me just 3 question and decided my case. A question which I answerred correctly:
Where do I work?
How much is my pay?
Why am I goin to the state?
That's all.

I tink its better one choose 7:30 to 8 as appointment time cos dey give dose ppu around dat tym, frm 10-15 worst, tink dey are tired

There is not an appeal to the B1/B2 denial. You can apply for another visa; however, we strongly encourage all applicants to wait 90 days before submitting a new application.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 9:39am On Sep 26, 2014
d100: Good afternoon Abujaniv,
I am a DV lottery winner but currently on AP. The deadline date is just a few days away and it seems i'll lose my eligibility because of the deadline September 30th time frame.
I've been wanting to apply for a U.S student visa but because I won the lottery thinking I was going to get the visa I halted.
So now I want to go ahead and apply for the student visa.
What are my chances?
1, I'm single but in my late 30's
2, I have been denied U.S student visa and visiting visas about 10 years back.
3, I actually waited this long so as to be able to sponsor myself to get educated.
4, Will the intent of being an immigrant because of the DV lottery I won become an issue for visa refusal?
Your honest response will be highly appreciated.

We cannot comment on specific cases in this forum. If you are interested in studying in the United States then you should apply for a student visa; however, we encourage all student applicants to be prepared to discuss why you selected the school that you want to attend, why you selected your course of study, and what you have done since you graduated from your last academic program.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 10:07am On Sep 26, 2014
aadeyi: @abujaniv
Please I need an advise on my F-1 visa application
I have been given admission to two different schools in the us, one university and one community college.
I currently live and work in Dubai(7month) and am waiting for my 1-20 presently.
Since I don't have any tie to Dubai, is it advisable to apply from Dubai here or I should come and apply from Nigeria jejely, though I will b coming to Nigeria soon.

PS: also advised on which school to choose among d two, community college or university. I applied to both as a transfer student with my ND result.

Thanks

There is no requirement to apply for an F-1 visa in your home country. You can apply in either Nigeria or the UAE depending on what makes the most sense for your situation. We cannot advise you on which school to select. You should select the school that best matches your needs and interests.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 10:08am On Sep 26, 2014
Horluphysiryor: Hi @ abujaniv thanks for the good work and I pray the almighty God will bless you abundantly, pls sir I filled my monthly salary in USD hope that's not going to affect my application. Waiting for ur swift response

You can list your salary in US dollars or Naira. Either one is okay on your application.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 10:13am On Sep 26, 2014
Thanks Abujaniv for your response, you didn't address the issue of the lost passport because it shows evidence of my travelling experience, the difference in my travelling experience between the last time I applied for a visa and now is just that I travelled to Ghana before I lost the passport, but how will I prove this to the interviewer as there is no evidence apart from the previous DS-160 I filled which I believe will still be on the record.
And I also have a police report and sworn affidavit to the lost international passport. Pls advice me on what to do. Thanks
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 10:26am On Sep 26, 2014
ykjnr: Hi VO,
Recently, I advised a friend not to patronize a visa agent and presently he is of the opinion that i misguided him. the current picture of the scenario is thus: He applied for US visiting visa last year through an agent and was denied and presently he has been invited to an induction/get together by a networking organisation based in US as the sole representative here in Nigeria. he have filled DS 160 form on his own (based on my advice) but at the point of scheduling an appointment he was told that he previously have a PROFILE with a particular email address (the email that was used by the agent last year) He sent a mail explaining the true situation about the whole agent issue and ask the Consulate to recognize his new profile and he got a response to send his Passport data page and open a new email address which he did, he was later sent an email on Friday 19/09/2014 that his new email has been recognized that he should wait for a new generated password that will be send to him before he can access the new profile and schedule an appointment. Now he has sent series of email to the desk support services but yet to get a response for the new password as indicated in the last email. He have also call your phone line non-stop without success (actually i too help him dialed up the phone number to no avail). The event he plan on attending is fast approaching and yet he is yet to get the new password from your office that will enable him to schedule an appointment. The guy is presently at a dilemma, is in fact regretting not engaging the service of the agent. NB: IT WAS WRITING OF YOUR WEBSITE THAT RESPONSE IS WITHIN 24 -48 HOURS. His case number: Case-2014-09-18-004002796. Please use your good office to help on the situation and restore his faith in DIY as advocate by your good office. Thanks

Unfortunately, this situation occurs from time to time and there is nothing that we can do at either the Embassy or the Consulate to resolve it. Our scheduling is handled by an outside contractor and so your friend needs to contact them to fix the situation with his email. The phone number for the call center is 234-1440-6218.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 10:30am On Sep 26, 2014
bsafolabi: I will like to seek for advice on behalf of my mother, her 2years us visiting visa expired on 2nd of june 2012 and she is 69 years old now. I will like to ask may she is qualified for dropbox application for visa renewal

Information on our drop-box program can be found at: http://nigeria.usembassy.gov/niv_dropbox.html

The criteria for using our drop-box for the renewal of a B1/B2 visa is:
For a B1/B2 visa holder:

•The applicant is a Nigerian passport holder;
•The applicant principally resides in Nigeria;
•The applicant’s last visa interview resulted in an issuance;
•The applicant was issued a two-year B1/B2 United States visa;
•The visa expired no more than two years prior to reissuance;
•The applicant was at least 14 years old at the time of the last issuance or will be under the age of 14 at the time of reissuance; and
•The applicant has never been arrested nor had an encounter with law enforcement, customs, or immigration officials in the United States.

Your mother does not appear to be eligible for the program because her last visa expired more than 2 years ago.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by kaykad: 10:32am On Sep 26, 2014
Dear Team,

i currently work with a reputable bank in nigeria and we recently bought an equipment worth millions of dollars that we need to be trained on. y would an officer deny u a visa witout chcking your document, while the rest of my group was given. i applied for a visa B1, i have a letter stating that my company is sponsoring my training for 4 days in the US and i also have a letter from the company that is training us. while the rest of my colleagues was given i was denied. when i got back to the office, my hr was confused and i was advice to get another visa form and another reintroduction letter has been issued, pls confirm if i can reapply immediately as i was told to reapply you need to wait for another 90 days and the training has been scheduled for next month. what are my chances of been given a vissa. because all other things remain constant except for the new introduction letter. await your swift response.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 11:03am On Sep 26, 2014
femi4wonders: Thanks Abujaniv for your response, you didn't address the issue of the lost passport because it shows evidence of my travelling experience, the difference in my travelling experience between the last time I applied for a visa and now is just that I travelled to Ghana before I lost the passport, but how will I prove this to the interviewer as there is no evidence apart from the previous DS-160 I filled which I believe will still be on the record.

Abujaniv, I await your urgent response
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 11:29am On Sep 26, 2014
femi4wonders: Thanks Abujaniv for your response, you didn't address the issue of the lost passport because it shows evidence of my travelling experience, the difference in my travelling experience between the last time I applied for a visa and now is just that I travelled to Ghana before I lost the passport, but how will I prove this to the interviewer as there is no evidence apart from the previous DS-160 I filled which I believe will still be on the record.

Include the travel on your DS-160 and then be prepared to answer questions that the officer asks you about your prior travel and the circumstances under whic your visa was lost.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 11:33am On Sep 26, 2014
kaykad: Dear Team,

i currently work with a reputable bank in nigeria and we recently bought an equipment worth millions of dollars that we need to be trained on. y would an officer deny u a visa witout chcking your document, while the rest of my group was given. i applied for a visa B1, i have a letter stating that my company is sponsoring my training for 4 days in the US and i also have a letter from the company that is training us. while the rest of my colleagues was given i was denied. when i got back to the office, my hr was confused and i was advice to get another visa form and another reintroduction letter has been issued, pls confirm if i can reapply immediately as i was told to reapply you need to wait for another 90 days and the training has been scheduled for next month. what are my chances of been given a vissa. because all other things remain constant except for the new introduction letter. await your swift response.

We cannot comment on specific cases in this forum. All we can say is read the letter that was provided as part of the denial because that will explain why your case was denied. You can apply again for a visa, but we advise that you wait at least 90 days to do so or until there has been a change in circumstances such that you would be qualified for a U.S. visa.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by azeezbaba(m): 12:00am On Sep 27, 2014
@Abujaniv,

can i attend my F-1 visa interview with my spouse and child. If yes, won't that jeopardize my home ties? Won't the VO think I wont come back after my studies?

Thank you
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Ctemi(f): 11:07am On Sep 27, 2014
@Abujaniv, my international passport will expire next year September,can I till use it to apply for F1 come this Oct/Nov ds year?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by aadeyi: 9:58pm On Sep 27, 2014
abujaniv:

There is no requirement to apply for an F-1 visa in your home country. You can apply in either Nigeria or the UAE depending on what makes the most sense for your situation. We cannot advise you on which school to select. You should select the school that best matches your needs and interests.

Thanks for the response @abujaniv
But if I should apply from UAE here, what are my chances of getting a visa because it is even on the consulate website that d chances of getting a visa where you do not have any ties to the country you are applying from is very low cos presently I have no ties to the UAE
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by mccas: 1:39am On Sep 30, 2014
Hi VO,
I was trying to print my appointment confirmation and the message below was displayed;
''PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE OR MORE OF THE DS-160 NUMBERS USED TO SCHEDULE THIS APPOINTMENT CAN NOT BE VALIDATED.
INCORRECT DS-160 NUMBERS MAY LEAD TO A DELAY IN BEING PROCESSED''
Please what does this mean? Hope it wont affect my application.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Pricelessamzy: 9:25am On Sep 30, 2014
Good day Visa Officer,
What would you advise me to do, i discovered i was pregnant a month after i was given a US Visa. During the interview i was asked if i was pregnant and i honestly answered "NO" because as that time i had medical issues relating to fertility which says i couldn't get pregnant naturally so my answer was very honest. Initially i intended traveling with my husband on vacation but my leave was cancelled due to work related issues. Now, i have decided to have my babies in the US because the Pregnancy came as a miracle and would like proper medical attention since we can afford it. Do you think i should send a mail to the US Embassy informing them of my intention.

I really don't have an idea of what to do but would appreciate your opinion.

Thanks for all your help on this forum. God bless

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (229)

QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6 / Travelling To Canada Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.