Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,781 members, 7,820,724 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:18 PM

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening - Travel (174) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening (820470 Views)

A Comprehensive List Of The Documents Required For Visas / Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America / Illegal Immigrant Disguised As A Car Seat Caught (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (171) (172) (173) (174) (175) (176) (177) ... (229) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 6:42pm On May 02, 2017
Applicants are given one opportunity to change the appointment time. After that, you must pay another fee.

Solo84:
Dear abujaniv,

Please how can i cancel an appointment scheduled for tomorrow for DW as she wouldn't be available at all for the interview, all efforts to change date has not yielded any result i guess because its within the next 24 hrs. please how can i change the date as change of appointment icon has been taken away from her page.

Kindly assist.

Thank you.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Solo84(m): 10:40pm On May 02, 2017
abujaniv:
Applicants are given one opportunity to change the appointment time. After that, you must pay another fee.

Dear VO,

Thanks for your response. Kindly note that we have not for once cancelled or resheduled before now. We would have preferred to change our date before tommorrow. Please advise.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by jar: 1:10am On May 03, 2017
Goodday Sir/Ma,
I am a nurse(diploma holder-2014),being practising since 2014 till date& also hold a Bsc in biochemistry-2005: i am planning to study for a Bsc in nursing this fall .i started my research a month ago,already started my application process, and 1 of the schools i started with is a community college in houston offering an associate degree for 2years,then completing the study for the Bsc in their affliated uni.
I paused my application with the commnity college, cox i learnt going for study in a community college in the eyes of the visa officers is a NO NO(red flag)
Please is it true? Really need clarification.
Thank you
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by qunby: 3:41am On May 03, 2017
Pls I need an advise on what to do......I have been denied visa:3 times.....the first time with hubby and daughter not considering I have travelled to UK before with family. ..i applied again 2015 but for child birth with my daughter but was denied the third time as a family we were all denied but hubby then applied alone and was given.....my bro in law invited us d last time we applied now I want to apply with my kids plz help hubby has travelled Will be back soon.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by qunby: 3:46am On May 03, 2017
Plz sir hubby passport was stamped at poe but d expected time to spend in America was not given but says he will stay for 16days we are confused hope all is well
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 7:29am On May 03, 2017
Hello jar. The bigger question, in the situation you describe, is why a practicing nurse would go back to school to be a nurse. On the face of it, that doesn't make educational or economic sense.

jar:
Goodday Sir/Ma,
I am a nurse(diploma holder-2014),being practising since 2014 till date& also hold a Bsc in biochemistry-2005: i am planning to study for a Bsc in nursing this fall .i started my research a month ago,already started my application process, and 1 of the schools i started with is a community college in houston offering an associate degree for 2years,then completing the study for the Bsc in their affliated uni.
I paused my application with the commnity college, cox i learnt going for study in a community college in the eyes of the visa officers is a NO NO(red flag)
Please is it true? Really need clarification.
Thank you

1 Like

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 7:58am On May 03, 2017
Hello qunby. Your are welcome to reapply, however, if nothing material has changed since the previous interview, the result is likely to be the same. Read and absorb the 214b letter and let that guide your decision.

qunby:
Pls I need an advise on what to do......I have been denied visa:3 times.....the first time with hubby and daughter not considering I have travelled to UK before with family. ..i applied again 2015 but for child birth with my daughter but was denied the third time as a family we were all denied but hubby then applied alone and was given.....my bro in law invited us d last time we applied now I want to apply with my kids plz help hubby has travelled Will be back soon.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by jar: 8:02am On May 03, 2017
[quote author=abujaniv post=56156738]Hello jar. The bigger question, in the situation you describe, is why a practicing nurse would go back to school to be a nurse. On the face of it, that doesn't make educational or economic sense.

Ok.i purposel put my level of degree "diploma" to drive home my point.
In nigeria,a diploma holder is termed a Junior staff,unlikr her counterparts who hold bsc certificates..he or she is not allowed to work in certain or special departemnts,if she does not hold another diploma in another specialty like Midwifery,theatre nurse,pediatric nurse etc.
And in nigerian irrespective of my diploma,i have to still put in 5years to get a Bsc in Nursing. Besides, my earnest desire to get an internationally acclaimed degree....i want to get a Bsc,not a specialty.becasue with my Bsc i can work anywhere
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by ibrocoast: 8:28am On May 03, 2017
Hello visa officer
i want to ask if somebody going for a three days comprehensive review course can apply for via B1/B2 or F1.
Thanks
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 8:34am On May 03, 2017
Hello jar. The term "community college" comes from the fact that these were institutions intended to cater to people in the immediate area, i.e. the "community." That doesn't exactly connect with your idea of getting an "internationally acclaimed degree." You may be thinking that any school outside of Nigeria is automatically better, but that is not necessarily the case. There is a vast spectrum of quality and cost among American schools. You are welcome to apply and make your case that this educational plan makes sense for you.

[quote author=jar post=56157749][/quote]

1 Like

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by jar: 9:19am On May 03, 2017
[quote author=abujaniv post=56158607]Hello jar. The term "community college" comes from the fact that these were institutions intended to cater to people in the immediate area, i.e. the "community." That doesn't exactly connect with your idea of getting an "internationally acclaimed degree." You may be thinking that any school outside of Nigeria is automatically better, but that is not necessarily the case. There is a vast spectrum of quality and cost among American schools. You are welcome to apply and make your case that this educational plan makes sense for you.
Alright Sir,thank you much.i get what you mean.i will attend to the universities then.thank you
One other thing, my 1year old son comes with me as a dependant, do i come with him to the embassy on the day of the interview¿
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 10:33am On May 03, 2017
Any dependent of an F1 accompanying the F1 to America needs an F2 visa. Anyone applying for a visa must attend the interview.

[quote author=jar post=56160069][/quote]
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 10:36am On May 03, 2017
Hello ibrocoast. If the course confers a degree or certificate, it usually requires an F1. To apply for an F1, the school has to issue an I-20 form. Inquire with the school whether it provides I-20s for the course you are pursuing. Many types of short-term training can be done on a B1/B2. Again, it's dependent on the situation.

ibrocoast:
Hello visa officer
i want to ask if somebody going for a three days comprehensive review course can apply for via B1/B2 or F1.
Thanks
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by flow2davis: 2:27pm On May 03, 2017
hello, can I defer my admission for 2 months when i arrive in States, so as to work for awhile, make more money and concentrate on my studies
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 3:17pm On May 03, 2017
Hello flow2davis. From looking at previous postings, you are asking questions about going to school in Canada, going to school in the US, working in Canada, working in the US, giving birth in the US. That's a lot on one's plate. To be sure, you may not work in the US on either a student or tourist visa.

flow2davis:
hello, can I defer my admission for 2 months when i arrive in States, so as to work for awhile, make more money and concentrate on my studies
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by flow2davis: 4:45pm On May 03, 2017
Thanks.
But the posts/situations are for different fellows who asked for my opinion so i post their cases here.
Not for me personally.
I give the feedback I get from here to the individuals respectively.... just an attempt to guide them. I have also introduced them to this forum.
So sorry if the posts/questions are misleading or misinterpreted.

abujaniv:
Hello flow2davis. From looking at previous postings, you are asking questions about going to school in Canada, going to school in the US, working in Canada, working in the US, giving birth in the US. That's a lot on one's plate. To be sure, you may not work in the US on either a student or tourist visa.

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Onedimple: 8:00pm On May 03, 2017
Hello @Abujaniv,
A brother made a mistake while filling his DS-160. He mistakenly picked "NO" where he was asked about whether he has attended any institution. Whereas, He graduated with a B.Tech. in Electrical Electronics Engineering from LAUTECH. what can he do? can he pay for another application to fill another DS-,160? Your response would be highly appreciated. Thanks.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 11:00pm On May 03, 2017
You misrepresented yourself on this forum. It's our experience that a person who is dishonest about small things tends to adopt the same aversion to the truth on more weighty matters. This is not a good path, unless it is your aim to acquire a lifetime ban on travel to the US.

flow2davis:
Thanks.
But the posts/situations are for different fellows who asked for my opinion so i post their cases here.
Not for me personally.
I give the feedback I get from here to the individuals respectively.... just an attempt to guide them. I have also introduced them to this forum.
So sorry if the posts/questions are misleading or misinterpreted.

1 Like

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by flow2davis: 8:23am On May 04, 2017
Good morning,

Well noted and caution taken.

abujaniv:
You misrepresented yourself on this forum. It's our experience that a person who is dishonest about small things tends to adopt the same aversion to the truth on more weighty matters. This is not a good path, unless it is your aim to acquire a lifetime ban on travel to the US.

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Diapearl: 8:52am On May 04, 2017
[quote author=abujaniv post=56143520]Hello Diapearl. The name change is a change to your identity, so you need to come in to reestablish that with fingerprints and an interview.

[/quote
Dear VO, Thank you for your response. Please how do i request for the interview? secondly does my husband and daughter also need to come in for interview? or can they renew theirs via dropbox?.Thank you so much.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Pesuzok(m): 9:54am On May 04, 2017
abujaniv:
Hello favor30. The qualifications are well delineated in this thread and also at our website. In short, you need to demonstrate sufficient ties to your home country that would compel a return after a short stay. To travel to the US, the applicant must have at least six months of validity on their passport from the time that they enter the country. Otherwise, they may be turned back.

Hello abujaniv, concerning the six month validity, I thought Nigeria is exempted. Please see links
[url]https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/572/kw/passport%20validity%20to%20enter%20USA/session/L3RpbWUvMTQwMjY2NjQ2NC9zaWQvVnU3Vi1JV2w%3D/suggested/1/p/0/c/0[/url]

[url]https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/Six%20Month%20Club%20Update_0.pdf[/url]

Nice job you are doing here.

Regards
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 3:57pm On May 04, 2017
Hello Diapearl. Go here and follow the instructions:
http://www.ustraveldocs.com/ng/
It's up to you if the rest of your family appears for the interview. If they elect to renew via the Interview Waiver Program (IWP, dropbox) it is still possible they will have to appear for an interview.

[quote author=Diapearl post=56191855][/quote]
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 3:58pm On May 04, 2017
Hello Pesuzok. Well researched. If you need a new passport eventually, it would behoove you to get it sooner rather than later.

Pesuzok:

Hello abujaniv, concerning the six month validity, I thought Nigeria is exempted. Please see links
[url]https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/572/kw/passport%20validity%20to%20enter%20USA/session/L3RpbWUvMTQwMjY2NjQ2NC9zaWQvVnU3Vi1JV2w%3D/suggested/1/p/0/c/0[/url]

[url]https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/Six%20Month%20Club%20Update_0.pdf[/url]

Nice job you are doing here.

Regards
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by urstruly1: 4:52pm On May 04, 2017
Hi..

This is my conundrum...

As I'm currently STILL under administrative processing (4 months and counting, now) after a dropbox renewal application, I'm at a loss what to think as per my status.

Also, it seems by sending an email to request for a status update, one only gets a generic (atimes even rude) response back, saying to exercise patience etc etc etc..

I've had to miss out on a couple of important activities in the US cos of this.... a third one coming up in a few weeks..

My question is- after waiting for this long, is it safe to construe this as a denial or not?? Cos I dont know..

One needs to get some sort of 'closure' on this... and decide on alternatives..

Looking forward to ur response....

Thanks
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 5:08pm On May 04, 2017
Hello urstruly1. I apologize for your situation. We understand that these processes are sometimes complicated and drawn out, and we endeavor to provide the best service possible. Certainly our e-mail responses should be courteous, even when we don't have update for you.

Unfortunately, we can provide no time span for how long such processing will take. I can only suggest that you e-mail again to the Embassy/Consulate with your biographical details so that we can look into the matter.

urstruly1:
Hi..

This is my conundrum...

As I'm currently STILL under administrative processing (4 months and counting, now) after a dropbox renewal application, I'm at a loss what to think as per my status.

Also, it seems by sending an email to request for a status update, one only gets a generic (atimes even rude) response back, saying to exercise patience etc etc etc..

I've had to miss out on a couple of important activities in the US cos of this.... a third one coming up in a few weeks..

My question is- after waiting for this long, is it safe to construe this as a denial or not?? Cos I dont know..

One needs to get some sort of 'closure' on this... and decide on alternatives..

Looking forward to ur response....

Thanks
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by urstruly1: 5:35pm On May 04, 2017
abujaniv:
Hello urstruly1. I apologize for your situation. We understand that these processes are sometimes complicated and drawn out, and we endeavor to provide the best service possible. Certainly our e-mail responses should be courteous, even when we don't have update for you.

Unfortunately, we can provide no time span for how long such processing will take. I can only suggest that you e-mail again to the Embassy/Consulate with your biographical details so that we can look into the matter.

Hmmm... Well, ok.. I'll email again..

But b4 I do so, I want to ask this..

If this goes on fr another couple of months, surely it means there's a problem somewhere or its an impending denial right?? Cant help assuming the worst here.. I hope u understand where I'm coming from.

Thanks again for your timely response.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Talliusceciro12: 8:39pm On May 04, 2017
Hello,
Does partaking in the dv lottery disqualifies an applicant for a student visa. I understand immediately you see an applicant has entered the lottery before, you conclude the interview. Please is that true.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 8:42pm On May 04, 2017
It does not surely mean that, and it is not necessarily an impending denial.

urstruly1:

Hmmm... Well, ok.. I'll email again..

But b4 I do so, I want to ask this..

If this goes on fr another couple of months, surely it means there's a problem somewhere or its an impending denial right?? Cant help assuming the worst here.. I hope u understand where I'm coming from.

Thanks again for your timely response.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 8:53pm On May 04, 2017
Hello Talliusceciro12. Participation in the diversity visa lottery or any other type of immigrant visa is not, in itself, a disqualifier for non-immigrant visas. That said, it is likely to be brought up in the interview, and the applicant may need to explain how they previously had immigrant intent, but now they do not.

Talliusceciro12:
Hello,
Does partaking in the dv lottery disqualifies an applicant for a student visa. I understand immediately you see an applicant has entered the lottery before, you conclude the interview. Please is that true.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by amah1905: 9:39pm On May 04, 2017
Dear VO, the B1/B2 2yr-visas of my daughter (now 8 yrs old) and I expired in Aug 2016, and i am preparing to renew them this month. I did a change of name for my daughter, and a passport in her new name was issued recently. The name change was from bearing my surname which she had borne from birth, to bearing her father' surname...i'm a single mom. 1. Can we still use the DropBox route or does the name change necessitate an interview. 2. Will the old passport bearing her expired US visa be demanded for the renewal? (Please note that to prevent her from carrying two valid passports in 2 different names, the Passport Office retained the old passport upon issuing the new one, but the old Passport No. is stated somewhere on the new one for reference purposes). Kindly advice. Thank you.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 8:15am On May 05, 2017
Hello amah1905. You and the child will need to reappear for an interview to establish identities.

amah1905:
Dear VO, the B1/B2 2yr-visas of my daughter (now 8 yrs old) and I expired in Aug 2016, and i am preparing to renew them this month. I did a change of name for my daughter, and a passport in her new name was issued recently. The name change was from bearing my surname which she had borne from birth, to bearing her father' surname...i'm a single mom. 1. Can we still use the DropBox route or does the name change necessitate an interview. 2. Will the old passport bearing her expired US visa be demanded for the renewal? (Please note that to prevent her from carrying two valid passports in 2 different names, the Passport Office retained the old passport upon issuing the new one, but the old Passport No. is stated somewhere on the new one for reference purposes). Kindly advice. Thank you.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Olas38: 3:06pm On May 06, 2017
abujaniv:
Hello, Nairaland! Our last thread was lost due to the Nairaland data loss, so we're re-starting the Non-Immigrant Visa discussion.

We are U.S. Foreign Service Officers working in Abuja and Lagos. We'll be happy to answer as many of your Non-Immigrant Visa questions as possible. Please note that we do not comment on specific cases, we do not offer advice, and we will not answer abusive or insulting posts.

While we will attempt to explain U.S. immigration policies and provide overall visa application guidance, any opinions expressed are the personal views of the writer and do not necessarily reflect the views of the United States Government.

There is a separate Immigrant and Diversity Visa thread at https://www.nairaland.com/1792591/u.s-immigration-questions-ask-u.s., also handled by a U.S. Foreign Service Officers in Nigeria, so please use this thread only for questions about Non-Immigrant Visas.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Our best,
AbujaNIV
Dear VO, I have been refused almost 10 times and am so worried because I am a frequent traveler and I have never overstayed any of my visas. The first time I was refused was in Abuja and its 10yrs now. The CO won't tell me the reason for refusal and would just hand me the 214(b) refusal. How do I know if it has to do with a permanent ban?

(1) (2) (3) ... (171) (172) (173) (174) (175) (176) (177) ... (229)

QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6 / Travelling To Canada Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.