Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,732 members, 7,820,536 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:39 PM

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening - Travel (33) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening (820443 Views)

A Comprehensive List Of The Documents Required For Visas / Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America / Illegal Immigrant Disguised As A Car Seat Caught (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) ... (229) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 1:11pm On Jul 01, 2015
Why Do the Embassy keep one in Dark? When he or she is put in Administrative Processing Required??
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 1:24pm On Jul 01, 2015
Hello Nairaland,

In less than an hour we're going to be here to answer your B1/B2 visa questions. Join us today from 2pm to 3pm (WAT) as we discuss visiting the US for tourism and business.

Have any questions? Post them now! We look forward to chatting with you shortly.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team

1 Like

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by irnaf(f): 1:34pm On Jul 01, 2015
Many thanks for reaching out to a lot of us via this channel. My 2 year BI/B2 visa expires in February 2016. During the expiration period, I will be studying in the UK for my PhD ending in 2019 but I will be doing my research and field studies mainly in Nigeria. How can I renew my visa and what documentation do i require? Thank you
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 1:37pm On Jul 01, 2015
What is administrative processing 221 (g)?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 1:57pm On Jul 01, 2015
nigeriainfo:
hello V.O, The news is that the computer problem has been solve in some u.s embassy and consulate, and that some embassies have started issuing visa. So my question is that how soon Abuja Embassy computer problem be resolved?since lagos consulate computer problem has been resolved ;Dhello V.O, The news is that the computer problem has been solve in some u.s embassy and consulate, and that some embassies have started issuing visa. So my question is that how soon Abuja Embassy computer problem be resolved?since lagos consulate computer problem has been resolved

Dear nigeriainfo,

All system issues have been resolved in Abuja and Lagos. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 1:57pm On Jul 01, 2015
Papiyandrix:
Good afternoon VO...Please I need to know what is going on. I attended an interview at the US embassy on the 9th of June and was given a proxy form on which the address I was to pick up my issued visa at, GSS Collection Center, Muri Okunola was circled out and given to me. I am due for my trip on the 30th of June and till now I have not got my passport back. On tracking it today I saw the message "there is no status update available for the passport number submitted". I am indeed very worried because two days ago I was told it was still at the US Embassy /Consulate by the same tracker. Please I need your help!

Dear @Papiyandrix,

You can call, Skype, chat, or email us by visiting the following link:
http://www.ustraveldocs.com/ng/ng-main-contactus.asp

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
flodave:
Hello VO ,I am so confused as to why the DS 160 portal refuse to forward my Barcode to the email I provided and my interview date is next week. Please help

Dear flodave,

If you're having problems with the portal, please reach out to our call center. You can call, Skype, chat, or email us by visiting the following link: http://www.ustraveldocs.com/ng/ng-main-contactus.asp

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 1:59pm On Jul 01, 2015
eaadegboye:
Hi.

I got selected for a one-week entrepreneurship bootcamp at MIT which holds in August. What kind of VISA would I need to apply for? What documents would be required and what is the general procedure? I also heard that there's been an issue with the US visa processing system globally. Does that apply to Nigeria too?

Thanks

Dear eaadegboye,

A B1/B2 visa is appropriate.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 1:59pm On Jul 01, 2015
Wadosky:
Hi everyone,
I have a problem I wish anybody can contribute ,
I was invited to an exchange programme in newyork ,I have made my payments including visa payment n booked a date for the interview.
In two of d supporting documents from my sponsors my name was not spelt correctly of which I have written to the anchor n she made same mistake by ommiting my surname.I tried to reach her again but it seems she is irritated and stopped responding to my mails.
I want to know how this will affect my chances of passing the interview since I will be presenting those documents on d day of interview.
Hi dear
Please I have a problem,
I was invited to an exchange programme in new York and I made d necessary payments including visa payments and I have equally booked a date for the interview.
My problem is that in two of the supporting documents from my sponsor,my name was wrongly spelt and I made contacts with them again,this time in trying to correct it they ommited my surname. I tried to reach her again and it seems she is not responding to my mails again.
How will this affect my chances of a visa n what steps should I take in trying to rectify this problems.
Thanks

Dear Wadosky,

Thank you very much for your question. The Consular Officer may or may not to ask to see your supporting documents at your interview. Consular Officers are trained to make decisions based on the interview alone. That said, if they ask to see your documents then you can explain to them the mistake at the time of the interview.

Regards,

Abuja NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 2:00pm On Jul 01, 2015
AbusM:
Good day VO
On the drop box requirements, I saw this : Spouses and children under 18 years of age may qualify to apply with parents renewing their visas even if the spouse or children do not meet the above conditions. Please note, however, that children over 18 years must apply independently of their parents even if they are traveling together.

My wife has a b2 visa which she would be renewing soon. Whereas I was refused a b2 visa the last time I applied earlier in the year.
My question is, is it possible I submit my passport along with her drop box application? As we plan to travel together at during our next leave.

Kindly help, the whole thing is confusing.

Thanks

Dear @AbusM,

You will need to submit a separate application and schedule an interview.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 2:01pm On Jul 01, 2015
davj50:
Good day @abujaniv,I applied for a b1b2 visa on the 10th of june and my scheduled appointment for the visa interview was 11th of August,and have printed out my appointment letter,yestaday.I decided to update my account,to my surprise I saw it on my profile that no visa interview schedule yet,thus this .made me to b so worried.....what will.I do now? Should I schedule another appointment? Or should I come to the visa interview on the date I had on my appointment printout? So confuse now don't know wot else to do now.......pls help. And direct

Dear @davj50,

You can call, Skype, chat, or email us by visiting the following link:

http://www.ustraveldocs.com/ng/ng-main-contactus.asp

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by irnaf(f): 2:02pm On Jul 01, 2015
Many thanks for reaching out to a lot of us via this channel. My 2 year BI/B2 visa expires in February 2016. During the expiration period, I will be studying in the UK for my PhD ending in 2019 but I will be doing my research and field studies mainly in Nigeria. How can I renew my visa and what documentation do i require? Thank you.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 2:03pm On Jul 01, 2015
Chanteh:

Hi, thanks for creating this thread. I have applied for J1 visa gotten an appointment, filled the DS 160 form, paid the sevis fee. Am now waiting to go for the interview but my problem is that one of the documens sent to me by the school in US has my name wrongly spelt by 1 letter. Will I be denied because of this? Am just worried about the mistake because I have written to them to correct the name but it's taking long for them to reply and my interview date is close at hand.

Dear Chanteh,

Thank you for your question. You should come for your interview with all of the documents that you have. At the time of your interview you can explain your situation to the Consular Officer and they will decide how to proceed at your interview. You will not be denied out of hand because your name is spelled incorrectly, but if your visa is approved it may not be able to be issued until you have documents from your school reflecting the correct spelling of your name.

Regards,

Abuja NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 2:04pm On Jul 01, 2015
Bolajibeckley:
[color=#006600][/color]Hello Visa officer, I applied for the B1/B2 this January 6 ,2015 and was denied the visa after delayed for over 6/7 hours , in the letter typed stated that I will not be consistent with the non immigrant visa ,also I don't have ties to my country . I am Single 34years old male , no kids , employed, With travel history , my father is a Citizen of the U.S by Naturalization , my trip was to visit my father he had been on dialysis for over 4yrs and he is about to have a surgery. Can I reapply? Pls what steps should i take now cause I will like to see my father , he cannot stay here due to his health condition ,we've tried that it's way too expensive and still dangerous for him , Thank you

Dear Bolajibeckley,

You are welcome to reapply. If you were denied a visa and your circumstances have not changed, you may want to consider how likely it is for a different outcome before you pay the fee again.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team

1 Like

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by nedum360: 2:04pm On Jul 01, 2015
Dear Vo, thanks for sparing some of your time. I'm a doctor in Saudi. Hope to apply for tourist visa April next year. At that time, I'm gonna be in UAE. Can I apply from there or do I need to come back to Nigeria? Also, how do I prove home ties while I'm based abroad?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 2:05pm On Jul 01, 2015
irnaf:
Many thanks for reaching out to a lot of us via this channel. My 2 year BI/B2 visa expires in February 2016. During the expiration period, I will be studying in the UK for my PhD ending in 2019 but I will be doing my research and field studies mainly in Nigeria. How can I renew my visa and what documentation do i require? Thank you

Dear @irnaf,

You can schedule an interview at a Consulate or Embassy anywhere in the world. Alternatively, you can renew your visa via drop box, but only if you are back in Nigeria because you may be called in for an interview.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Busconductor: 2:07pm On Jul 01, 2015
Good day,

Dear VO, I was interviewed at the Lagos consulate general on the 10th of June for an F-1 visa, and I was approved. I understand that there were some technical difficulties in printing visas but on the Facebook page of the department of state on consular affairs, it states that all embassies are now in full operation and that they would work over the weekend that just passed to clear the backlog.

But up till now, I haven't gotten any notifications that my visa is ready. And when I try tracking it, it says that there is no status update for my passport number.
And a lot of people who had their interviews after me have gotten theirs. I called you guys this morning and d lady told me that my passport has been issued and sent to d collection center but then d collection center said they are not with it

Please I would like to know what the problem is and how soon the visas will be ready.

Yours faithfully
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by KUNZEEL01: 2:08pm On Jul 01, 2015
Dear VO,

I applied for a non-immigrant visa (B1/B2) July 2014 but was denied because i couldn't provide my old expired passport that carries visa's of countries i have been too. Do i still need to provide it at my next application as car my car was stolen with my old documents?
Will it affect my new application as i will be applying as family?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 2:10pm On Jul 01, 2015
orimahspence:
Abujaniv Sir/Ma, please kindly respond to this , thank you

Greetings VO, having seeing so many assistance you have rendered here, I am convinced that I could be added to the long list of people you have helped, hence, I decided to humbly write you.
I am 27yrs married with 2 kids, I work with a reputable print media here in Nigeria as a reporter, I am scheduled to cover an AU event taking place in Washington Dc in August,my interview appointment is july, my visa application class is Journalist/media I class, I haven't travelled out of the country since 2012 and i just renewed my passport some days ago, though the old passport carry expired Saudi and Qatar visa on it, and i had never overstay my time in any of those countries,my questions are, 1. do i need to glue the old passport with the new one? 2. What are the necessary documents to take along for the interview? 3.my salary is not channel in to my bank account as it's always remitted by cash ( although always accompanied by pay slip) and perhaps I don't have huge funds in my personal account but have landed properties, the my since my company is the sponsor and would be responsible for all the expenses , 4. do i need to bring l the company account statement with me? 5.would my age be a barrier because most of my co reporters sheduled for the same purpose 3/4 years ago are over 30, and would be on assignment in the UK at the same time the washigton event is taking place.
thank you

Dear orimahspence,

You are not required to bring in the old passport, but it would be a good idea as it proves your previous travel history. The only document that you are required to bring is your passport, our adjudications are based on the interview conducted with each applicant at the window and the information that they present.

Your age, in and of itself, is never a barrier to obtaining a visa. Consular officers will review the individual case and its varying factors including your situation in your country of residence, stated intent for going to the United States, previous travel history, financial situation, etc.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team

1 Like

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 2:10pm On Jul 01, 2015
sweetg:
Hello visa officer,
We recently applied for my mother inlaw visa and her interview is scheduled for July 7th there is a mistake on her ds160 form. It says 20th Dec 1965 instead of 1963 that is on her passport. We filled 1965 in our own forms. What can we do and will this affect her during her interview?

Dear Sweetg,

To gain access to the interview the barcode number on your DS-160 needs to match the barcode on your appointment sheet. If having the incorrect birthdate on your DS-160 has caused those numbers not to match up then you will not be able to access to Consular Section on the day of your interview. However, if those numbers do match up then you can come to your interview and explain the situation to the Consular Officer. If the visa is approved then it will be issued with the date of birth listed on the passport.

Regards,

Abuja NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 2:11pm On Jul 01, 2015
ying2000:
What is administrative processing 221 (g)?

Dear @ying2000,

Administrative processing is when the Embassy or Consulate must conduct additional work on a case following the interview. It can be required for any number of reasons. We work to process every application as quickly as possible and then always contact the applicant as soon as administrative processing is complete. Applicants will hear from the Embassy or Consulate when we have more information.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 2:11pm On Jul 01, 2015
nedum360:
Dear Vo, thanks for sparing some of your time. I'm a doctor in Saudi. Hope to apply for tourist visa April next year. At that time, I'm gonna be in UAE. Can I apply from there or do I need to come back to Nigeria? Also, how do I prove home ties while I'm based abroad?

Hello nedum360,

You are allowed to apply for visas outside of your consular district.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
krisnwanegbo:
Why Do the Embassy keep one in Dark? When he or she is put in Administrative Processing Required??

Dear krisnwanegbo,

We work to process every application as quickly as possible and then always contact the applicant as soon as administrative processing is complete. Rest assured that you will hear from the Embassy or Consulate when we have more information. If you applied in Abuja, you can inquire by writing to ConsularAbuja@state.gov, and if you applied in Lagos, contact LagosNIV@state.gov.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team

1 Like

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Busconductor: 2:13pm On Jul 01, 2015
Good day,

Dear VO, I was interviewed at the Lagos consulate general on the 10th of June for an F-1 visa, and I was approved. I understand that there were some technical difficulties in printing visas but on the Facebook page of the department of state on consular affairs, it states that all embassies are now in full operation and that they would work over the weekend that just passed to clear the backlog.

But up till now, I haven't gotten any notifications that my visa is ready. And when I try tracking it, it says that there is no status update for my passport number.
And a lot of people who had their interviews after me have gotten theirs. I called you guys this morning and d lady told me that my passport has been issued and sent to d collection center but then d collection center said they are not with it

Please I would like to know what the problem is and how soon the visas will be ready.

Yours faithfully.
(Modify) (Quote) (Report) (Share)
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 2:15pm On Jul 01, 2015
abujaniv:

Can a visa be refused under administrative processing??

Dear @ying2

Administrative processing is when the Embassy or Consulate must conduct additional work on a case following the interview. It can be required for any number of reasons. We work to process every application as quickly as possible and then always contact the applicant as soon as administrative processing is complete. Applicants will hear from the Embassy or Consulate when we have more information.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Sakasaka: 2:15pm On Jul 01, 2015
I obtained B1-B2 visa a year ago in Nigeria. I've visited the States and even married in the States to my long time girlfriend who is a dual citizen(German-American). We only got married in the States and since then we've been living in Germany and we are not planing to move to the U.S.
My questions are how do I go about renewal my U.S.visa when it expires, am I suppose to go back to Nigeria to reapply using drop box? Or I could apply for B1/B2 renewal over here in Germany because I have a resident permit as am married to her(she holds both German and American passports).
Like I said we have no plan to live in the States but we have plan to have our kids delivered in the U.S. We also have plan of going to the U.S. once or twice yearly for vacation during our holidays. I'm yet to obtain German citizenship we just got married eight months ago, going to the U.S. Temporarily as a couple or family either to give birth or for vacation would be hard for us because of me like I've heard it's hard for US citizen spouse to obtain non-immigrant visa. Please enlight me on what to do in the future when the time comes for me to reapply for B1/B2.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 2:15pm On Jul 01, 2015
Fujiano:
Hello VO, i booked an appointment slated for june22, meanwhile, there was discrepancies between my appointment confirmation page and ds160 confirmation page indicating different bar code, which makes me to forfeited da interview. My question is this: 1 am i to fill another application form to generate new id or i can still use da previous application to book an appointment.2 am i going to pay another visa fee.

Dear Fujiano,

Our appointment system is handled by a third-party contractor. You can contact them directly regarding technical issues at support-nigeria@ustraveldocs.com

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 2:16pm On Jul 01, 2015
ablaze247:
I was issued a 2year B1/B2 visa in March when I was suppose to attend a conference alongside my brother.

I couldn't travel because some very crucial issues came up which I had to stay back to attend to.

Until this moment it hasn't been convenient for me to travel, how does this affect the validity of my visa.

Thank you

Dear Abaze247,

Thank you for your question. Except in limited instances when B1/B2 visas are issued they are valid for 2 years. It is okay if you were unable to travel for your original purpose of travel. As long as your visa is valid you are free to use it to travel to the United States. Have a great trip!

Regards,

Abuja NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 2:17pm On Jul 01, 2015
[quote author=ying2000 post=35362462][/quote]

Dear ying2000,

Yes, sometimes the result of administrative processing is a refusal. Sometimes, however, it is an issuance. We will be sure to keep you informed about the status of your case.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 2:17pm On Jul 01, 2015
Hello Nairalanders,

Here's a question that we hear often, so we thought we'd answer it unsolicited:

Q: If I am pregnant and apply for a U.S. visa, what are my chances for getting a visa?

A: Honesty is always the best policy. Applicants seeking to enter the United States for medical treatment must present detailed information about their plan, duration of stay, total projected cost of the treatment, and evidence of their ability to cover all expenses.  Learn more about medical trips here:

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/nigeria/487468/pdfs/MedicalVisa%20Information_Updated17June2015.pdf

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 2:19pm On Jul 01, 2015
Hello Nairalanders,

Here's another common question:

Q: How come it is so much harder for single people to get visas?

A: By far the most common reason an applicant is denied a non-immigrant visa is for not overcome Immigration and Naturalization Act 214(b), which states:

Every alien shall be presumed to be an immigrant until he establishes to the satisfaction of the consular officer, at the time of application for admission, that he is entitled to a nonimmigrant status.

This means that, in the short time you have with your interviewing officer, it must be made clear to them that you have sufficient ties that would compel you to return after your scheduled excursion to the US. Ties can mean many things, whether they are familial, economic, personal, professional, social, or cultural. It is often harder for young and single people to this as they are in the process of establishing themselves.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by AbubakarMA1: 2:19pm On Jul 01, 2015
Hello,
I asked last week, but i missed the answer. I have a valid US Visa and am planning a trip to Boston in September 2015. However, my passport expires in January 2016. Will i be allowed entry into the US with the same passport ? ‪#‎askconsular‬

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) ... (229)

QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6 / Travelling To Canada Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.