Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,707 members, 7,827,585 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:58 PM

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening - Travel (83) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening (821292 Views)

A Comprehensive List Of The Documents Required For Visas / Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America / Illegal Immigrant Disguised As A Car Seat Caught (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) ... (229) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 2:06pm On Feb 10, 2016
seesaw:
Had my visa interview last week and was denied. Was applying for B-2 visa (tourism/Medical)

Went with my little daughter

Interview went thus
VO: why do you want to travel to the US
Me: To give birth to my second child in the US
VO: which state are you travelling to
Me:Houston Texas
vo: Where do you work
me:......
Vo: Where does your husband work
Me:.......
VO: have you contacted a Doctor
Me: yes and passed forward doctor n hospital relevant documents and budget sheet
VO: where will you be staying after delivery of the child
Me: with my sister n her family
VO: How much does it cost to give birth in Houston
Me: $13000 (which was the cost of the whole trip not only hospital cost)
VO: Do you have any bank statements to support this
Me: passed forward mine n hubby's statements
VO: you have this amt, (which was a little above the naira equivalent for $13000) does that mean all the funds you have is what you intend to use for this trip
Me: That is what we have set aside at the moment but we expect other allowances to be paid to us during the course of the year
VO: Am sorry you aren't eligible for entry visa to the us at this time n hands me a blue paper. which is the INA section 214(b)

MY questions:

I presume the denial was cos my funds was the exact equivalent of $13000. however some of the expected incomes have been received so can i re-apply again in early March.

What other documents can i take to show evidence of strong ties to home country.

Should I reapply with my daughter or not

What can i do different to help my chances

NB:I am about 5 months gone and my first appointment should be 1st week in May.

Thank you for your anticipated response.

Hello seesaw,

You are welcome to reapply at any time. The officer is seeking to ensure that you can cover all the costs of the birth, so if you have any other bank accounts or sources of income, it would be good to bring those accounts. You can also bring a budget sheet that shows your estimated costs for all expenses and how you will pay for all of those with the savings you have as well as the salary you expect to receive while you are in the U.S.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 2:07pm On Feb 10, 2016
infofirst:
Can one member of a family pick up issued visa + passport on behalf of others even when the family members are all above 16years?

Hello infofirst,

The back of the white paper you were given during the interview has a place to sign to give permission for a proxy to pick up your passport and visa.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 2:17pm On Feb 10, 2016
princessrbt:

Thanks so much for your response.
Yes it's just a tourist visa and since she'll not need an affidavit of support, does she need any document to show we are the one (my husband and I)sponsoring her traveling? If yes, what does she need?
Also do we need to send all the document she'll need to the embassy?

Thanks.

Hello princessrbt,

There are no documents required. She will need to answer the officer's questions during the interview.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 2:20pm On Feb 10, 2016
shawno:
HELLO CONSULAR OFFICER,
PLS I AM A STUDENT IN UK, I WANT TO APPLY FOR US VISA WITH THE AIM OF GOING FOR A CONFERENCE ..PLEASE I WANT TO KNOW IF I WILL NEED A BANK STATEMENT AND IF YES , LIKE HOW MUCH MUST BE IN THE ACCOUNT AND FOR HOW MANY DAYS.. AM A LITTLE BIT CONFUSED BECAUSE SOMEONE SAID THE AMOUNT THERE MUST BE FOR LIKE 28DAYS .. JUST WANT TO CLARIFY . THANK YOU .

Hello shawno,

There are no required documents for an NIV interview. An officer may ask to see bank statements, but there is no rule about how much money is in the account or how long it has been there. You qualify for a visa if you can prove to the officer that you are a qualified and credible student, that you or someone in your family can afford the tuition, fees and living expenses and that you have concrete plans to return to Nigeria after your graduation.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team

1 Like

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 2:35pm On Feb 10, 2016
onyemaanuforo:
Hello VO/Everyone,

I have been an ardent follower of this thread for a while. Seen and learned from the good advice, and scoffed and laughed at the 'not so good' ones.
Either ways, well done to everyone.
I went for my F1 Visa interview in Abuja on 29th January and........... I was granted.
*smiles*... Thank you very much. I see y'all saying congrats.
The thing is I quite prepared for the interview but was still scared AF!... I wrote a full transcript of both the build up to my interview and the interview itself so that other followers passive and active alike can benefit. But my system chose to freeze up after like 20 minutes of typing..
Now I hope I get the motivation to start afresh.....

I hope I can throw in a quick question to more experienced guys in the house while I develop another transcript.

My program starts in May 2016, and by law I am not permitted into US until 30 days before that date.

My question is, I want to book my flight for April 19th, via LA to see a senior/old time friend for 2 weeks before proceeding to Chicago.
Will that pose any troubles?

Also, I read on the department of Homelands page that I am meant to pick my passport along with a sealed envelop. But I am damn sure I did not get any sealed envelop when I picked my passport....... AM I MISSING SOMETHING??

Lest I forget, they also said my passport should be valid 6 months after my intended stay.. My passport expires just a month after my intended stay in 2018. Now, the Immigration here in Lagos says they cannot extend the validity of my passport until 6 months to its expiration meaning I have to go with my current passport.

Any advice

Hello onyemaanuforo,

You need to travel with your I-20 and your SEVIS receipt. The CBP agents at the POE may ask more questions about why you are not going straight to the school, but it is the prerogative of the CBP agents to allow entry into the U.S. Your passport should have at least 6 months of validity left on it when you travel. We recommend that you not travel on the passport that will expire one month after your arrival - it is possible that the CBP agent will not allow you to enter. You should get a new passport and then travel with both passports.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team

1 Like

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Nobody: 3:10pm On Feb 10, 2016
Hello VO,
I have an on-going application for a migrant visa. Last year, my wife and kid got a B1 visiting visa and traveled for a visit and are back. They want to travel again this year but my kid can't understand why i can't follow them. I recently read that i'm actually allowed to apply for a B1/2 visa while waiting for the application. How true is this? I miss not being in the holiday pics and having a good time with them.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by MrFabs(m): 3:52pm On Feb 10, 2016
Hello VO please Kindly help me out on this, I have a brother who was selected for the last bash of the visa lottery interview, he won it as a single(but was legally married when he filled it, although he didnt know it would later be this serious, so it was just a case of ignorant and unserious when he filled the form though) but by the time he book an appointment he filled in family with his wife and 4 children which he included because he would not leave his family behind which he explained to the CO but was denied because he didn't shows up with the earlier status he filled when he was selected for an interview initially, its now over 3 to 4 years he last appeared at the embassy and he will love to go for a vacation with his family because he has never taken his family for vacation before and would love to go to US, Please what is the chances of him and his family getting a visa this time around and how do we go about this. Your response will highy be appreciated.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by infofirst(m): 5:30pm On Feb 10, 2016
abujaniv:

Hello infofirst,

The back of the white paper you were given during the interview has a place to sign to give permission for a proxy to pick up your passport and visa.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
Thank you for the response. Let me put it this way, it's a family of six and only one paper was issued and they all appeared same time for the interview, only two members of the family are available to pick the passport + visa, so only one form and yet there are other four people as proxy... How will they go about that to ensure that the two members of the family are able to pick the visas for others.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by kennycanny: 10:04pm On Feb 10, 2016
Dear VO,
thanks for the good work you are doing here.
Pls kindly clarify this situation. My mum in her late 60s & has visited my sister(US Citizen) 3 times
in the past.
During her last interview at the embassy, she said the VO mentioned to her that she ll
likely be refused next time she applies for visa, that she should tell her daughter to petition for her
to get immigrant visa. but the issue is that she doesn't desire to live in the US , or can afford not to
be outside the US for more than 365 days as required to maintain permanent stay status.

The issue is that she needed to attend a function in the US soon. Will they refuse her visa cos her daughter didn't
petition for her? and why are you interested in pushing people not interested to immigrate to us to do.

Thanks!

1 Like

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by excelyem: 7:24am On Feb 11, 2016
abujaniv:

Hello seesaw,

You are welcome to reapply at any time. The officer is seeking to ensure that you can cover all the costs of the birth, so if you have any other bank accounts or sources of income, it would be good to bring those accounts. You can also bring a budget sheet that shows your estimated costs for all expenses and how you will pay for all of those with the savings you have as well as the salary you expect to receive while you are in the U.S.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team

Good morning here please i fill out my form DS160 myself after an agent has fill for me and the confirmation number on the form is diffirent from the one on the apointment pls what should i do? a friend had d same problem and he wasnt allow to enter the embassy i dont want to fall victim as well.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 7:56am On Feb 11, 2016
TheN1:
Hello VO,
I have an on-going application for a migrant visa. Last year, my wife and kid got a B1 visiting visa and traveled for a visit and are back. They want to travel again this year but my kid can't understand why i can't follow them. I recently read that i'm actually allowed to apply for a B1/2 visa while waiting for the application. How true is this? I miss not being in the holiday pics and having a good time with them.

Hello TheN1,

You are welcome to apply for a B1/B2 visa. You will need to sufficiently prove to the officer that your ties to Nigeria are stronger than your ties to the U.S. and that you will use the visa properly, meaning you will travel for the vacation and then return to Nigeria to wait for the status of your IV petition to come through. We recommend that you are very upfront and honest about your pending IV petition. However, there is no guarantee that you will be granted a nonimmigrant visa when you have an IV pending.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 8:07am On Feb 11, 2016
kennycanny:
Dear VO,
thanks for the good work you are doing here.
Pls kindly clarify this situation. My mum in her late 60s & has visited my sister(US Citizen) 3 times
in the past.
During her last interview at the embassy, she said the VO mentioned to her that she ll
likely be refused next time she applies for visa, that she should tell her daughter to petition for her
to get immigrant visa. but the issue is that she doesn't desire to live in the US , or can afford not to
be outside the US for more than 365 days as required to maintain permanent stay status.

The issue is that she needed to attend a function in the US soon. Will they refuse her visa cos her daughter didn't
petition for her? and why are you interested in pushing people not interested to immigrate to us to do.

Thanks!

Hello kennycanny,

First of all, your mother can use Dropbox to renew her visa and doesn't need to go to the Embassy or Consulate for an interview. If she is asked to come for an interview after submitting her passport and application via Dropbox, she must explain to the officer clearly that she does not intend to immigrate to the U.S. - she will need to show that her ties to Nigeria are stronger and that her life is here and she has no intentions of abandoning it. If your mother has been properly using her B1 visa and can thoroughly explain her upcoming travel plans and how her ties are stronger to Nigeria, she may be eligible for a B1 visa; but as always there is no guarantee.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 11:32am On Feb 11, 2016
MrFabs:
Hello VO please Kindly help me out on this, I have a brother who was selected for the last bash of the visa lottery interview, he won it as a single(but was legally married when he filled it, although he didnt know it would later be this serious, so it was just a case of ignorant and unserious when he filled the form though) but by the time he book an appointment he filled in family with his wife and 4 children which he included because he would not leave his family behind which he explained to the CO but was denied because he didn't shows up with the earlier status he filled when he was selected for an interview initially, its now over 3 to 4 years he last appeared at the embassy and he will love to go for a vacation with his family because he has never taken his family for vacation before and would love to go to US, Please what is the chances of him and his family getting a visa this time around and how do we go about this. Your response will highy be appreciated.

Hello MrFabs,

Your brother is welcome to apply for a B1 visa at any time. The same qualifications apply to him as everyone else - he must show strong ties to Nigeria. It is best if he is totally open and upfront with the officer at the window about his DV application, but having an old IV application or even a pending IV petition is not an ineligibility.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by MrFabs(m): 2:47pm On Feb 11, 2016
abujaniv:

Hello MrFabs,

Your brother is welcome to apply for a B1 visa at any time. The same qualifications apply to him as everyone else - he must show strong ties to Nigeria. It is best if he is totally open and upfront with the officer at the window about his DV application, but having an old IV application or even a pending IV petition is not an ineligibility.

Regards, b
Abuja NIV Team

Thank you for a great response. Bless U
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by faithh01: 5:39pm On Feb 11, 2016
Hello VO,

I need your advice on Administrative processing.I applied for a CHANGE OF STATUS from B1/B2 to F1 Status in Abuja and the Officer gave me a piece of paper stated that I will be contacted as soon as its ready,that i don't have to do anything on my part.it's been 11months now ,enlight me on what to do please .
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by vanagon: 7:08pm On Feb 11, 2016
Hello VO.
Kindly educate me.
Friend elder sister in America who is a citizen filled for her younger sister from Nigeria.
What are the documents that she will needs to take along with her international passport to the embassy cause a date in late February has been given to her
Be kind to help.
Thanks
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by bigfido: 10:51am On Feb 12, 2016
Hello abujaniv,
My sister had her interview at Abuja on January 29th and her visa was approved but she was told to provide another passport because the information on the passport she used for the interview was blurring. She has since submitted her new passport via DHL as she was instructed since 2nd February but she's yet to get her visa and passport back. I don't know if it makes sense dropping passport number on a public forum so you can help verify what the issue is.
Thank you
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by vanagon: 2:00pm On Feb 12, 2016
vanagon:
Hello VO.
Kindly educate me.
Friend elder sister in America who is a citizen filled for her younger sister from Nigeria.
What are the documents that she will needs to take along with her international passport to the embassy cause a date in late February has been given to her
Be kind to help.
Sir
Still waiting to hear from you.
Be kind to educate me further
Thanks

Thanks
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by shawno: 4:49pm On Feb 12, 2016
DEAR VO,
PLEASE I JUST WANT TO ASK, WHAT IS THE CURRENT DURATION OF US VISA FOR CONFERENCE .
I AM PLANNONG TO APPLY THIS MARCH . THANK YOU
SHAWN
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by ibrocoast: 9:24pm On Feb 12, 2016
Thanks for the good work so far.
I have an issue trying to upload picture for ma visa application for the past 1week but declining. I edited the passport picture to the requested size which is 600x600pixel yet, it is declining. Would there be any consequence if i submit the application without the picture.
Advise needed urgent.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by tubsontyanka: 2:48pm On Feb 13, 2016
Good Evening VO.I was at the USA embassy in 2005 though l was dined the visa .The immigration made mistake on my Nigerian passport in 2005 with my date of birth, l was told they will correct it anytime l come for renewal. Now l had the new e passport and l have travelled to SA and swazilland with the new passport that carries my real date of birth, same name though l did declaration of age before l could be issued a new passport. Now if l go to usa e now what are my chances of getting visa??. Thanks
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by tmeeto: 4:19pm On Feb 13, 2016
Dear VO,
What is the least duration of a us b1/b2 visa. I would like to travel maybe half year or nov/dec is it advisable i apply now?

Kind regards.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by MrFabs(m): 11:19pm On Feb 14, 2016
Please VO kindly put help us out, I have a friend whom I introduced to this forum, but he he's yet to find a related convo to his issues here, he's currently a widow, but was at the embassy with his late wife in 2014 for a vacation and visit in Oregon but was denied, unfortunately he lost his wife last year during child birth which was so sad. When This friend of his heard the demise of his late wife he had to came in from Us to pay him a condolence visit which he was grateful considering how busy he is at his job in the states, so he,d like to visit his and his family to show his gratitude and spend some part of his leave there, he has a child who is in a boarding school here in Nigeria, please what are his chances now as a widower going to the states please, he has a better job at a reputable contruction company and travelling experience too. Thanks
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by ptassystems: 11:34pm On Feb 14, 2016
Please vo, I am a student here in India, my resident permit expires next year April. My uncle (mum's elder brother)brother is sending me an invitation to visit him in the united states. What are the possible chances I have to get the visa or should I better still come home to get the visa?
Thanks
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by fideco: 2:10pm On Feb 15, 2016
Hello VO,

I have a very serious issue-
I started an application ds160 and i used the Application ID to schedule an appointment.
Now, I want to retrieve the application and continue the ds160 form and when i input the father's name and date of birth it says the information does not match.

Its been about 2weeks I scheduled the appointment and the appointment is on the 2nd march 2016.

I need urgent help with this Please!
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by bosypumpin: 1:00am On Feb 16, 2016
Dear V.O, great job deserving of kudos here.

My mistakenly booked appointment before filling the DS 160 form. thus, the codes ( or confirmation thingy) differ.
I seek your sound counsel on way forward.
though, we had sent a mail to lagos NIV @state.gov and all the email addresses for issues regarding non immigrant visa. we are yet to hear from them.

Im an avid reader of the US thread and honestly, dont want to go over it backwards.
Pls help.
Thank you in advance

1 Like

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by feyilow: 11:24am On Feb 16, 2016
Dear VO
I filled the Ds160 form stating Abuja Embassy as a preferred place of interview but mistakenly chose Lagos while filling booking appointment.At this time,i would actually prefer Lagos.Please i need your advise.Am scheduled for interview on 2nd of March
kind regards
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by chuckdee13(m): 1:15pm On Feb 16, 2016
Hello AbujaNIV,

My company is sending me on a training in Houston. Please what are the documents peculiar to training that I need to carry along with me to the interview.

Thank you in advance.

(1) (2) (3) ... (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) ... (229)

QATAR AND UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 6 / Travelling To Canada Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.