Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,197 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:22 AM

Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. - Education (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. (45214 Views)

See What Our Future Leaders Are Doing(pics) / If You Were The One Marking This Waec Paper Would You Do? / Man Marking WAEC May/june 2015 In A BRT Bus: Right Or Wrong? (pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by proffemi: 3:49pm On Jul 01, 2014
juwoonn: ...A lot of professors in Nigeria today were products of public schools, our president and most Governors are products of public schools, but why have they taken their children abroad, to private schools and destroy the public schools for the less privileged.

On second thoughts, I think I'm going to go ahead and address the elephant in the room: the less privileged played a role in the destruction. As you hinted at above, the rot in public schools is somewhat by design.Yes, the rot is evident in both private and public schools. However, anecdotal evidence abounds that it is far more serious in the latter. The slow death of public primary and secondary education in Nigeria is even sadder when one considers the fact that we have not learnt our lessons; the same thing is about to happen to the public universities.

Remember how this started (or at any rate, got worse)? The people wanted free education. Well, the government simply gave us a Hobson's choice: free education that is actually none at all, or expensive education that improves with your buying power. Quick question: do you suppose students of Loyola Jesuit College have the same difficulty passing WAEC Economics? No? Okay, you get my point. To a large extent, you do get what you pay for.

This point is important because we are at it again. My university recently increased fees for returning students to ~N30,000 per annum. The resulting student protest was so heated that there is a real chance that school will not resume till September. What they do not realize is that N30,000 for a passably good education is better than N5,000 for education that becomes so much worse that it is entirely worthless. If we cry hard enough for cheaper education, we will get it. But we will be sorry we did, because then, the government will make sure that it becomes so useless that nobody go tell you before only you waka go private university.

One solution: let us be less eager to ask for everything to be free, Rather, we must first demand for some minimum guarantee of quality, at a *reasonable* cost. Let us stop trying to minimize inconvenience and cost above all else.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it

2 Likes

Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by gidjah(m): 3:57pm On Jul 01, 2014
juwoonn:
I forgot to mention that. Almost everybody in a center writes the same thing, in fact a candidate forgot the photocopy of one of the answers in his/her booklet (teacher involved malpractice) and another forgot a page of the keypoint in the booklet. The education sector is really deteriorating by the year.
I AM A PRODUCT OF ANOTHER GREAT PUBLIC SCH in d north!(GREAT indeed i call it because i was all to my self to develop,lots of teachers but no teaching at all!gd facilites but no teacher to show hw 2use dem.i studied sciences so u should know wot i went tru 2get where i am 2day,but@ d end of d day,God In His Mercy Helpd me(I AM A DOCTOR 2DAY),BUT i can also tell u of about 80%of my co student who could not amount 2anytin but nuisance in d north 2day.it is really heart killing,so when i hear or see small children on air or around me making noise about what they mostly in some case do not know much about,it pains me 2my bone marrows.hard work does not kill, DISTRACTION DOES!

2 Likes

Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by MadCow1: 3:58pm On Jul 01, 2014
prof.femi:

On second thoughts, I think I'm going to go ahead and address the elephant in the room: the less privileged played a role in the destruction. As you hinted at above, the rot in public schools is somewhat by design.Yes, the rot is evident in both private and public schools. However, anecdotal evidence abounds that it is far more serious in the latter. The slow death of public primary and secondary education in Nigeria is even sadder when one considers the fact that we have not learnt our lessons; the same thing is about to happen to the public universities.

Remember how this started (or at any rate, got worse)? The people wanted free education. Well, the government simply gave us a Hobson's choice: free education that is actually none at all, or expensive education that improves with your buying power. Quick question: do you suppose students of Loyola Jesuit College have the same difficulty passing WAEC Economics? No? Okay, you get my point. To a large extent, you do get what you pay for.

This point is important because we are at it again. My university recently increased fees for returning students to ~N30,000 per annum. The resulting student protest was so heated that there is a real chance that school will not resume till September. What they do not realize is that N30,000 for a passably good education is better than N5,000 for education that becomes so much worse that it is entirely worthless. If we cry hard enough for cheaper education, we will get it. But we will be sorry we did, because then, the government will make sure that it becomes so useless that nobody go tell you before only you waka go private university.

One solution: let us be less eager to ask for everything to be free, Rather, we must first demand for some minimum guarantee of quality, at a *reasonable* cost. Let us stop trying to minimize inconvenience and cost above all else.

Prof!!

You again?!

grin

E be like say you go like quarrel pass fight.. grin

Have you not noticed that Nigeria is a country of 'Free' everything?

The sad truth is that in the past, we had a lot of free stuff, but the country has since evolved from there to where its at now.
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by tete7000(m): 3:59pm On Jul 01, 2014
Danhumprey: Na today? E don tey! It's really awful! Public schools are just glorified home-teaching centres! Heck! Being taught at home seem to be more better than being taught in a public school. Our leaders have failed us!
No be only public schools, private ones hardly fair better. It is a reflection of the general ineptitude that has crept into our national life.

1 Like

Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Onyenna(m): 4:21pm On Jul 01, 2014
nickz: gringrin also went through some of the scripts my cousin marked......chai wish i had taken picturees!!!!!

there was this candidate that could pass for aphotocopy machine or an artist.she basically drew everything from another candidate 3 sits from hers

the other one had clean handwriting but his paper was very rumpled
the female wrote everything!(her pi appeared as double T) written seperately

alpha and beta signs na diegrin not to mention the graph that had the same shape but was out of rangegrin

set bracket was drawn in a very weird way
to the extent that she even copied the roughwork the boy did on his last(empty page) every dot!

construction work was very 'free handed'gringrin

very disappointing!!!
***faints***

1 Like

Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Nobody: 4:48pm On Jul 01, 2014
adisa204: weep for yourself...........can u please tell us the impact you made in your own generation.......all because of marking waec script.And I even read when someone said he marked for his friend imagine

Are you blind that you didn't see the smiley I used? I was actually joking.
Btw, I wrote Wassce in 2012. tongue
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Nobody: 4:50pm On Jul 01, 2014
samoks:

My dear friend, at least I believe you are 18+, and so I expected that you at least show some sense of maturity with your response. You don't have to insult me or anyone else here. Just make your point and educate others.

Even the Op has made the necessary corrections as I stated earlier. It shows he is matured and ready to take corrections from anyone no matter how big or small the person is. No one knows it all. We are all learning.

But point of correction, yes I know the Op marked economics or was talking about Economics, but I'd love you to answer my next question without you insulting me....

In what language was the Economics paper written?

If you must correct someone openly, then you should be humble enough to also take correction(s) from others openly.

Okay. I am sorry. embarassed Actually, I am below 18. cool
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by aguiyid2nd(m): 5:32pm On Jul 01, 2014
oluyemisee: ...And you refused to help the girl/boy that asked you to pls help.you are not a good nigerian.lol
a good nigerian would have helped, I guess huh?.
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Nobody: 6:12pm On Jul 01, 2014
cbrass:

No be my fault nw, na our neighbor dey give us mark after we don play ball tire..grin

I am flabber kujared!!
A JSS student will play soccer taya then enter house begin mark WAEC papers for his neighbor
And we are here blaming students for poor performance
The whole system is completely screwed
The schools are a dump
No one teaches the students
No laboratories ,no libraries,no one is motivated to teach or learn
Expo galore
And the papers are marked by teenagers yet to take WAEC
I feel like crying
A 14 year old kid could be the person marking the papers?

1 Like

Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by smithsammy(m): 6:31pm On Jul 01, 2014
FrancisTony:

Okay. I am sorry. embarassed Actually, I am below 18. cool
1000 likes. Rer

1 Like

Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Diswt: 6:33pm On Jul 01, 2014
chi i hope say u no fail grin
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Nobody: 6:43pm On Jul 01, 2014
FrancisTony:

She is a friend. tongue lipsrsealed
what's her name? cheesy tongue
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jul 01, 2014
mayapop: what's her name? cheesy tongue

Stephanie kiss cool
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jul 01, 2014
FrancisTony:

Stephanie kiss cool
Yeah, that's her name or tiffie. tongue
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jul 01, 2014
mayapop: Yeah, that's her name or tiffie. tongue

Her name is Stephanie. Tiffie and Tiffany is her nickie.

Btw, do you know her
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Nobody: 6:53pm On Jul 01, 2014
FrancisTony:

Her name is Stephanie. Tiffie and Tiffany is her nickie.

Btw, do you know her
Yeah tongue
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Nobody: 6:56pm On Jul 01, 2014
mayapop: Yeah tongue

shocked How? Where? She's fb famous tho'. ?

*confused* undecided
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Nobody: 6:58pm On Jul 01, 2014
FrancisTony:

shocked How? Where? She's fb famous tho'. ?

*confused* undecided
grin ;Dlmao! don't worry, just ask her if she knows me tongue
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Nobody: 7:00pm On Jul 01, 2014
mayapop: grin ;Dlmao! don't worry, just ask her if she knows me tongue

Is Mayapop your real name sad
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by tete7000(m): 7:02pm On Jul 01, 2014
juwoonn:
Noted bro.
But I wasn't condemning any body, I was only sharing my pain.
Besides I rushed to open this thread while watching Nigeria's match. Anybody could have made more errors.

Why do you bother yourself to answer those characters? Couldn't you see they lack capacity to understand why you shared your concern?
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Nobody: 7:02pm On Jul 01, 2014
FrancisTony:

Is Mayapop your real name sad
Yeah just tell her mayapop undecided tongue
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Nobody: 7:03pm On Jul 01, 2014
tete7000:
No be only public schools, private ones hardly fair better. It is a reflection of the general ineptitude that has crept into our national life.
The latter fares better with corruption. The owners make sure that happens to command registration turn-out from external students.
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Nobody: 7:05pm On Jul 01, 2014
mayapop: Yeah just tell her mayapop undecided tongue

We don't chat, undecided I hate her, grin she hates me. sad

E.O.D tongue
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by eldoradoxx: 7:06pm On Jul 01, 2014
Don't just blame govt alone, we also have to blame the students. Government was not funding education well during our time. We also saw empty labs, outdated libraries, some incompetent teaches during our period but these abnormalities couldn't discourage us. We had passion for the books. We wanted to make names for ourselves. We competed amongst ourselves. How brilliant you were then was how attractive you were to the opposite sex in school then. We were immaculately dressed, we excuded brilliance because we didn't want to be embarrased in the presence of a person of opposite sex u had some childish "attraction" for. There was no GSM, no smartphones then, no 2go or whatsapp or badoo or twitter. You went to business centre strictly to send and receive emails or to google educational materials online. Today, everything has changed. Currently, there is a cousin putting up with me. He scored 185 in the last JAMB yet applied to study medicine in the university. He is spends the whole night chatting. I ve spoken to him and am tired. I ve reported to his mum and the mum said she too is tired. Its not like he is dull, I see he is intelligent, went to good schools. But he is taken by internet addiction. Some nights he sleeps around 4 or 5 am due to all night movies downloaded from internet using his blackberry. He's amongst the set currently waiting for WAEC result and I wonder whether he can even pass this one. Post UME is coming, he told me, yet he's not reading. I have sat him down severally when ever am free yet nothing is coming forth. So we should know that students of today are not really interested in books. We corrupted them so early with smartphones. I never used any smartphone until after my university and after I saw my law school result. Time has changed.

2 Likes

Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Nobody: 7:08pm On Jul 01, 2014
Baby mama:

I am flabber kujared!!
A JSS student will play soccer taya then enter house begin mark WAEC papers for his neighbor
And we are here blaming students for poor performance
The whole system is completely screwed
The schools are a dump
No one teaches the students
No laboratories ,no libraries,no one is motivated to teach or learn
Expo galore
And the papers are marked by teenagers yet to take WAEC
I feel like crying
A 14 year old kid could be the person marking the papers?
There was a year NECO markers were protesting of pay increments or sth by withholding the answer scripts, NECO went ahead announcing results. From where?
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by MOBBDEEP: 7:17pm On Jul 01, 2014
prof.femi:

But Sir, even the Ivy League learning institutions and other leading universities all over the world, offer lots of quality studies free which explains the on-going infinitesimal increasing brain-drain that black countries are suffering.
I quite agree they are usually funded by 3rd party.
Are we saying that our resources cannot fund nor support standard level of education ??

I think the rot is a reflection of the corruption cankerworm that has become the norm of our nation and not because it is free.
Afterall, in the 70s & 80s, education was completely free and the standardwas top-notched.
May be, the few numbers of the scholars in schools then "cushioned" the rot that could have started then.

Let me cite an example Sir, in the pre-2003 at UI, accommodation fee used to be only 90 Naira per session.
When the students started complaining about the depreciation & dilapidation of the halls, the school administration were quick to give the line of "cheap equals sub-standard" especially when Fed Gov howled its tiredness in funding almost everything ( mind you Sir, without productivity & resourcefulness ooooohhhh ).
They increased the accommodation fee to 3,500 per Student with an average size room containing 3 occupants.
Even, luxurious rooms or apartments off-campus were not that expensive ( ~ 10.5 - 14 K pet room per session in additionto the FG subsidy ooooohhhh )
Do you know Sir that within 2 years, the school administration fought off the FG subsidy on accommodation in a bid to take over it, the war which they won.
They shot the accommodation from there (3.5K to 10K per annum)
By 2008, students were paying 20K for accommodation.
May be many will see this as a show of shame, may be not.
But that is not even the crux of the matter.
Do you know Sir that the hostels even got worsen faster than prior to when they were FG funded.
May I remind you Sir that the condition got so worse that in 2010/2011, the gory mind-shattering sad state of the hostel's condition had to be brought to the forefront of the public & media houses.
What were the billions raked in used for?
For example, Tedder Hall has capacity for 400-500 occupants = about 8-10 Million annually.
What were the annual generated funds utilized for

So Sir!!!!, I will still maintain the stand that cheap does not necessarily means sub-standard quality.

1 Like

Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by infogenius(m): 7:58pm On Jul 01, 2014
ferdimako:
But who wants to teach? Even those with certs in education did so because of enrollment issues. The society is rotten already. U marry a wife with fake degree and u think she is there for the kids?
People who never did their exams on their own...just after yr1 ....aristo or cultism to graduation. U can't help ur child with an assignment... u don't have that knack...u don't know it.

Lol, remember my earlier comment,parents that are not visionary will have problem making their children do well at school.
My friend, if my children get to secondary school and one decides to study in the arts. I am science based,
I will read his books and get more info about his subjects to make him have that extra edge.
I will do this no matter my tight scheduled.
My Dad did it, I will do it also!

The teacher will never know more about my child than I.
But since the society are depending on teachers, even if the best teachers are recruited
the parents have the role to ensure that their children read and study their course work!

ferdimako: When a teacher can build a house and go on vacations...then that sector must have been lucrative. Here in Nigeria, we pay less for lesser tuition. How much is one semester in GH, US, CA and OZ? Govt is corrupt so as we...eg if Lagos govt hires good hands from other tribes to teach in Lagos...Yorubas will possibly be annoyed and would prefer fake teachers of Yoruba descent and funnily expect good results. It was hard to get my brother a slot in 2006 but he graduated among d best 3...where were d indigenes that populated d admission list?

I no fit laff,yeah the system looks poor, but what shall we do. Instead of complaining
do the best you can do and leave the rest.
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Nobody: 8:16pm On Jul 01, 2014
You guys are funny. Ever wondered wby the failure rate is high- distracrion on the part of the students, tv, cell phones to many other tbings, parents want their wards to pass at every amd any cost and not to mention the schoil who want to stay in business.because of they need to show good grades.

I once taught in a school where the principal involves himself in malpractices for waec examination and even Junior waec, not to mention the principal is also a pastor.

2 Likes

Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Nobody: 8:18pm On Jul 01, 2014
infogenius:

Lol, remember my earlier comment,parents that are not visionary will have problem making their children do well at school.
My friend, if my children get to secondary school and one decides to study in the arts. I am science based,
I will read his books and get more info about his subjects to make him have that extra edge.
I will do this no matter my tight scheduled.
My Dad did it, I will do it also!

The teacher will never know more about my child than I.
But since the society are depending on teachers, even if the best teachers are recruited
the parents have the role to ensure that their children read and study their course work!

I no fit laff,yeah the system looks poor, but what shall we do. Instead of complaining
do the best you can do and leave the rest.

More power to ur elbow. I did all those with my siblings...one opened a blocked account @ German Embassy today. Since no jobs here and Master's degree won't guarantee anything...let him head out by Sept. I don't even understand PhD holders here!
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Nobody: 8:32pm On Jul 01, 2014
engineerd:

Awwwwww....sweet of you two....why don't you 2 bloody phaggots make out while you're at it? Apologizing to each other like bloody BISHES!!!

Bros u harsh o! U got me cracking up real hard.
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by GoodBoi1(m): 8:38pm On Jul 01, 2014
Blame it on the government and corruption (some people pointing fingers here might have "sorted" their way through university, even the good students) first 'cos distractions will always be there . Somethings won't change except by massive funding from government and charity organisations e.g eradication of diseases, power supply, quality of education. One other thing people should understand is that the economy is different now, you get what you paid for, and the exposure given at public schools is too limited. If we want change, we have to be truthful to ourselves. Be the change you want to see.
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Romanciella(f): 9:20pm On Jul 01, 2014
FrancisTony:

*Sigh* He marked Economics not English, Mr. English professor!

Btw, some of the words you cancelled ain't wrong. You don't even know what you're doing. Smh!

Next=====> undecided

hmmmmmm tony....

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Sokoto Girl Leads With Highest Score As FG Releases NCEE Results / Final Year Student Of UNIZIK Dies From Malaria As Friends Mourn. Photos / JAMB's Snake: Nigerian Student Disgraced Abroad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.