Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,272 members, 7,811,799 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:49 PM

Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. (45150 Views)

See What Our Future Leaders Are Doing(pics) / If You Were The One Marking This Waec Paper Would You Do? / Man Marking WAEC May/june 2015 In A BRT Bus: Right Or Wrong? (pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by MadCow1: 9:26am On Jul 01, 2014
okpara ugo:

I didn't even see your reply before stating mine.

Parents are to blame.

[b]Spread the blame..

I will start with the NUMBER 1 person or entity at fault,

Government - Government Schools = MOSTLY children of Government Employees and then Children of Parents whose income fall below a certain benchmark.

If the Government Schools were properly run, properly maintained, properly monitored and supervised, properly researched to find ways of improving its standards both in content and estetiques, and also POLITICS is removed from education, what you would have done is solve more than half the problem.

I attended a Government school and heaven knows I was one of those who snuck through the system. We were poorly equipped as I never saw a Bunsen burner (except in textbooks) until SSCE time. Infact I was shocked to know that we had a few chemistry Lab sets that were kept in the Principals office for fear that they would get broken during classes and the school wouldn’t be able to replace them. Even Physics Lab equipment of things as basic as glass prisms, glass block, 'knife edge' & meter rule, e.t.c were never made available to us. SO we learnt causes that were highly practical in nature 'theoretically'. So a student like me who learns visually is left really handicapped. I still remember learning music with a 'Stick Piano' that made no sound. A carpenter designed a wooden piano with keys and all and our teacher expected me to know the 'C-note' and what have you.

Still on Government. The Ministry of Education is responsible for Teachers recruitment and welfare. What applies is that ethnicism and politics gets involved, poorly trained and under-qualified teachers are employed, their meager wages and benefits are not paid as at when due, then these teachers are barely ever re-trained or evaluated and no audit is ever carried out to investigate the quality of teachers in the system. If not for Mr. Oshiomoles verification exercise, that woman who couldn’t read her own allegedly written sworn-affidavit could still be in the employs of the Edo state Ministry of education and many more pupils would have been passed/graduated by her only to go look grossly-stupiid in the higher levels of education and thus resort to cheating their way through schools. I still remember by Geography Teacher in secondary school. She would come to school just to sell Meatpie and Ice cream and leave. She barely ever came to class to teach us anything.

Still on Government. Its the Governments jobs to provide schools. The average Government School has an estimated 50 Pupils per teacher/per class. HOW ON EARTH IS THAT SUPPOSED TO WORK. Well, students like me simply blend in with the back crowd and gets lost in the system. That’s how many students somehow sneak through the system till graduation and then somehow become First Lady of Nigeria and with a degree in Mathematics, Biology and Psychology from both a state and federal university, still can’t speak nor read simple English Language. The Governments should have built more schools and employed more qualified teachers to accommodate these students. not more than 22 per class.

Next would be Parents.

Well.. Parents remain the primary care-giver and care-provider of their kids. Its their duty to know at all times how their children are faring academically, socially and otherwise. So when you are the parent of a child whose school work you have never checked on, whose school teachers you have never met, whose academic life you have only bothered to pay for and nothing more, then you should also be blamed that your kid is a mo-ron. A classic example would be that of my kid brother who started doing really bad in school. After several beatings from my mum (who somehow thinks the solution to every problem starts with the cane and ends with prayers) she then decided to follow him to school and sit in class with him while learnt. The teacher said he was a very quiet and respectful boy but couldn’t quite get why he wasn’t doing well in school. That day my mum followed him to class was the day she noticed that my brother could not see anything written on the board as his eyes were bad. She noticed he wasn’t writing and when she was forcefully trying to make him write, she noticed he was struggling. She immediately took him from class to the optician where they diagnosed my brother with acute short sightedness. Many Parents would never have known this because they are too busy chasing paper to notice the welfare of their kids.

This continuous decay in our Education sector has already started yielding its fruit. I remember Gov. Amaechi of Rivers State almost losing his mind when he went through some of the scripts of the applicants for the Rivers State Teachers recruitment exercise. The guy could not believe that some of those scripts belonged to people who had written first school leaving examinations. grin

Has anybody wondered why the Nigerian Union of Teachers (NUT) fights every government that tries to set a competence examination for teachers?! grin

My advice is simply; Get rich and send your kids to good private schools. cool or we can start electing people with sense into government so as to have a sensible society.[/b]

1 Like

Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by juwoonn(m): 9:28am On Jul 01, 2014
cbrass:

For wherecheesy please stop believing those lies,

I was in Jss3 when I started marking wayec...come to think of it ,English Paper for that matter
This is a bloody lie...
Only graduates, masters holders and higher qualifications marks WAEC.

If anybody ask you to help mark @that level, then that person is wicked and should have been blacklisted by WAEC long ago

WAEC have vetter(s) to vet all script marked

CHECKERS to check all scripts marked and vetted

OFFICIALS to cross check marks, vets, and Checker's work

Its simply impossible to mark or record nonsense and get away with it.

Stop fooling people.

2 Likes

Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by bjdon: 9:31am On Jul 01, 2014
The deterioration in the Educational sector is symptomatic of the wider deterioration in society. When I was growing up in the 80's there hardly any private secondary schools in my state. Everybody attended the public schools. In my secondary school we had children of Generals, High/Appeal court justices and a range of VIPs. This made the PTA very robust and strong. The parents would simply not tolerate a drop in standards because their kids education was at stake.
Now even a local council chairman will send his kids abroad, so where is the pressure going to come from to improve the schools. Until our so called rulers are forced to use the same public services as the general public, be it healthcare, education etc, there will never be an improvement.

1 Like

Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by opylas(m): 9:49am On Jul 01, 2014
ITbomb: I recently helped a friend in it, you should mention the copied works, not that the students copying dey vex me, they cannot even copy. Any mistake you see in a script will be repeated in the next 20 scripts.

It's awful

Hahaha... It's called PDP-People Dubbing People

1 Like

Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by kechywillz(m): 9:57am On Jul 01, 2014
This country may explode someday,if things are not properly handled,God help n save us.
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by 5thNOTE: 10:04am On Jul 01, 2014
ITbomb: I recently helped a friend in it, you should mention the copied works, not that the students copying dey vex me, they cannot even copy. Any mistake you see in a script will be repeated in the next 20 scripts.

It's awful
how do i even get it to mark, one principal promise me promise me to mark tire still he didnt fulfill. Wait how much did u collect for that 6.. U marked? He gave u marking scheme or that economics is ur field?
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by juwoonn(m): 10:06am On Jul 01, 2014
Odenigbo Aroli: Op could be one of the chronic Igbo haters who isn't happy with the success we made so far in education. So,he decides to help his people by failing Igbo children. Don't be surprised, Yorubas are very dirty and capable of anything. They have no conscience!
I served in Igbo land and I love Igbo people..
They taught me a lot of business tactics... In fact I have Igbo friends that are genius, and I was generous in marking.

There is no way you can mark people down in WAEC without being blacklisted and the scripts remarked.

I have marked centers in Lagos and Northern regions where candidates scored 0/100.... I didn't record any 0 in any of the Eastern state.

This issue is general, It is happening every where in the country.

2 Likes

Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by samoks(m): 10:08am On Jul 01, 2014
FrancisTony:

You cancelled his spelling of privilege and professor. Do you mind to spell it please?

@Ferdimako....please stop joining issues with them. It is obvious they are not better than those students. If at this point they still haven't seen anything wrong with the words you canceled.

How can someone say "a lot of our professor"? Where is the 's' to signify plural?

And how can someone say "less privilege"? Where is the 'd' to signify that the event had already occurred?

Here is Ferdimako's elementary correction for you.....
1. Professors, NOT professor
2. Less privileged, NOT less privilege

Hope you now know why he canceled those words.

1 Like

Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by blakky97(m): 10:09am On Jul 01, 2014
I served in Ogun state. When I was posted to a school, I felt I had to do a little brush-up on my O'level. I attended UPSS in Benin city ( those who know the school will know what I'm talking about) so I had the impression that teaching senior secondary school students will be a challenge to any corp member. So I held fast to my most comfortable zone- maths and fmaths. No physics! No chemistry!
Mehn! When I started teaching! Omg! The best students in the class (ss2 and 3) would not pass the jss2 promotioÈ
n exams in upss. Ss2 students could not solve addition of fractions!
But my pride is in the fact that by the time I was leaving, I had transformed the lives of 60 percent of my students. I started from arithmetic till we got to a stage where 50-60 percent of the students could solve quadratic equations by cmpleting the square method, draw inequality graphs, they answered questions I lifted from engineering maths on logarithms.
Each time I came to class- I was filled with the joy of seeing my students- my projects! I organized free lectures for them, motivated them with gifts.
When I was going, the school gave me a micro wave oven. But that means nothing to me compared to the 2 ghana must go bags that was filled with wrapped glass cups, spoons, and plates the students gave me. Even their maths teacher became jealous. The students still call me on phone till today. Even their cult students bowed their heads to greet me whenever they saw me passing. NYSC made the most fulfilling year in my entire life. That was when I realised another source of happiness. That is to make a positive change in peoples lives- it worths more than gold and silver. If I ever get a chance, I'll do it again!

3 Likes

Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Nobody: 10:13am On Jul 01, 2014
juwoonn: As we conclude this year's June/July WAEC marking, I cry for the future of these students.
I marked 645 scripts in Economics for some Onitsha schools and only 2 candidates scored above 40/80 in paper2. One scored 45 and the other 48 while more than 80% scored below 20. Some 2/80, 1/80 despite my simple marking. Honestly like 3 candidates wrote only "PLEASE HELP ME" in their answer booklets.

One thing I noticed is that all the centers I marked are public school centers. What has gone wrong with our public schools?

A lot of professors in Nigeria today were products of public schools, our president and most Governors are products of public schools, but why have they taken their children abroad, to private schools and destroy the public schools for the less privileged.

Products of a failed educational system, i'm not surprised abit.

The kids on the other hand lack good guardianship. I doubt if the parents make out time to look into their children's school work and progress at school.

They're not getting any healthy attention both at home & school hence you see them deserting their books to camp on 2go & Whatsapp all day.

It's a shame!
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by sirchim(m): 10:13am On Jul 01, 2014
Is rily disheartening, bt wot do u expet, wen 2go is dia Lessons, n facebuk is dia burnin of 9t CANDLE? We wia nt doing al dis durin ourDAYS.
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Nobody: 10:22am On Jul 01, 2014
FrancisTony:

You cancelled his spelling of privilege and professor. Do you mind to spell it please?

Guy, it's professors and privileged, not professor and privilege. Don't disgrace yourself here.
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by owoyale1: 10:32am On Jul 01, 2014
Is it no the same waec that others before them passed once and for all!!??
Most of you did not know about free education in European countries or in the USA. But here is the thing:
You can study in Finland for free!!!!!
Yes, I repeat: You can study in Finland for free!!!

Both Bachelor's degrees and Master's degrees.
You can begin right now without wasting time!
http://www.ineedscholarships.com/2014/06/cimo.html

or call: +2348178057858
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Nobody: 10:37am On Jul 01, 2014
infogenius: It is so easy to put blames on the Govt of Nigeria, teachers, corruption blah blah blah.

We quickly forget that this nation is made up of individuals that come from families.
Education should have really improved in Nigeria as there are better enabling environment
today than before.

But honestly, the woes of these students boils down to their parents.
How many parents follow their wards academic work?
How many parents spend time to help their wards with school work.

I owe my cognitive abilities to my parents.
My mathematical prowess to my Dad, even as a banker in ever busy Lagos, the man made
sure that he went through my school work and inculcated thoroughness in my studies.
No teacher will ever do that.
I still use my brains to solve mathematical problems that requires the use of calculators.

My mum though didn't go through the 4 walls of a University but she inculcated the
essential memory work in my life and ability to use figures. Tell me your date of birth today and in the
next ten yrs I will send u a birthday gift on that day.
That was the job of my mum. And she did it perfectly.

This generation is suffering because we have lazy parents that is why we have lazy children.
Lesson teachers are paid to do all even to bleep their children.

I was talking to a set of teens sometime ago and I asked them, how many spend at least four hours
reading for Jamb and WAEC, the four hours to them was like"how is this possible?"
None and I mean one of the about 70 teens ever thought of reading overnight talk less of spending
4hrs reading.

My friends, parents do not only have work hard to earn good money to give their children qualitative education
but must able to directly impact children with abilities that make their wards stand out academically .

My boy will be 2yrs next August, but honestly, what that boy knows or can do children in Pri 1 cannot,
i am not bragging, I know exactly what I am saying. Out of my busy schedule, I still sit with the boy
to teach and impact him whether it is convenient for me or not.

Parents should do their work and compliment the teachers to make their wards better.

No govt will help ur children do well at school, the teacher will do the little they can but parents will
the greater part of the work.

Parents that abandoned school...never worked hard to pass exams on their own? You are different. Kudos! I was there for my brother, taught him English and Maths..he did the other four himself..he never did May/June...Nov/Dec after SS2. Once he cleared his papers, parents and people started begging me and him to do the exams for their children.The same problem is in the university. Many students beg and pay to have their courses sorted out.

We need to overhaul our systems and improve on the common language of teaching.
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Engrdavo: 10:42am On Jul 01, 2014
God will surely have mercy on us in Nigeria.
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by slydog(m): 10:42am On Jul 01, 2014
juwoonn: As we conclude this year's June/July WAEC marking, I cry for the future of these students.
I marked 645 scripts in Economics for some Onitsha schools and only 2 candidates scored above 40/80 in paper2. One scored 45 and the other 48 while more than 80% scored below 20. Some 2/80, 1/80 despite my simple marking. Honestly like 3 candidates wrote only "PLEASE HELP ME" in their answer booklets.

One thing I noticed is that all the centers I marked are public school centers. What has gone wrong with our public schools?

A lot of professors in Nigeria today were products of public schools, our president and most Governors are products of public schools, but why have they taken their children abroad, to private schools and destroy the public schools for the less privileged.

Just like De javu, a guy walked up to me this morning in my office and asked- "are they submitting civIC here?'
I asked what is is civic? Only for him to bring out his cv, then I realised he meant cv

He studied economics from Ambrose Ali University and told me he graduated with second class upper, I was happy, then I ask which renowed economist is Fiscal policy attributed to?
Guess the answer: Adam Smith embarassed lipsrsealed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by mikolo80: 10:48am On Jul 01, 2014

do the profs and president look or sound or even taste like educated ppl.you cant give what you don't have.like begets like

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Nobody: 10:50am On Jul 01, 2014
sirchim: Is rily disheartening, bt wot do u expet, wen 2go is dia Lessons, n facebuk is dia burnin of 9t CANDLE? We wia nt doing al dis durin ourDAYS.
Yeah, the problem is not technology but not using the apt apps or sites that will help one. People who like to be in their comfort zones don't go to dictionary.com to check spellings and pronunciations. I had to work hard to do away with my r, q, n & m sounds. Since we can't manufacture, let's be sound grammatically. Things might turn around from there as we stand to go places.
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Nobody: 10:51am On Jul 01, 2014
samoks:

@Ferdimako....please stop joining issues with them. It is obvious they are not better than those students. If at this point they still haven't seen anything wrong with the words you canceled.

How can someone say "a lot of our professor"? Where is the 's' to signify plural?

And how can someone say "less privilege"? Where is the 'd' to signify that the event had already occurred?

Here is Ferdimako's elementary correction for you.....
1. Professors, NOT professor
2. Less privileged, NOT less privilege

Hope you now know why he canceled those words.

Dude, get a life since you can't comprehend the point OP made.

I weep for your 'like'.

OP, didn't write that he's an english teacher. He never cricticised their english but he was only complaining about the poor performance in Economics. It's a pity you're daft to figure it out. lipsrsealed

It's better to keep shut when intelligent mind are discussing than to be displaying your astute stupidity.

Guess I am done with you. embarassed

1 Like

Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Sweetlemon(f): 10:52am On Jul 01, 2014
In this day and age in Nigeria, sending your child to a public school is like stabbing that child to death.

1 Like

Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Danhumprey: 10:57am On Jul 01, 2014
FrancisTony:

Dude, get a life since you can't comprehend the point OP made.

I weep for your 'like'.

OP, didn't write that he's an english teacher. He never cricticised their english but he was only complaining about the poor performance in Economics. It's a pity you're daft to figure it out. lipsrsealed

It's better to keep shut when intelligent mind are discussing than to be displaying your astute stupidity.

Guess I am done with you. embarassed
gringringringrin
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Nobody: 10:59am On Jul 01, 2014
piano music maths physics teachers available, please call 08169116771
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Nobody: 11:06am On Jul 01, 2014
Op it's unfortunate really. i hope u filled the malpractice form? i heard even when students ask for help, it's a form of malpractice.
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Nobody: 11:09am On Jul 01, 2014
Danhumprey: gringringringrin

LOL! I have been getting annoying 'mentions' here but I decided to ignore. This one really got me annoyed.
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by ezugegere(m): 11:13am On Jul 01, 2014
It's a pity that many of us don't know what is going on in private schools, especially in Lagos. In most of the big private schools within Orile/Coker and FESTAC town that I have been to, or interacted with their teachers, during WAEC, answers are written on the board for students to copy. It is that bad!

1 Like

Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Nobody: 11:13am On Jul 01, 2014
juwoonn:
This is a bloody lie...
Only graduates, masters holders and higher qualifications marks WAEC.

If anybody ask you to help mark @that level, then that person is wicked and should have been blacklisted by WAEC long ago

WAEC have vetter(s) to vet all script marked

CHECKERS to check all scripts marked and vetted

OFFICIALS to cross check marks, vets, and Checker's work

Its simply impossible to mark or record nonsense and get away with it.

Stop fooling people.

God bless u.
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by ojuu4u(m): 11:27am On Jul 01, 2014
you *blame* or you *blamed*
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by jeje123(m): 11:35am On Jul 01, 2014
I love the last paragraph

Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by jeje123(m): 11:36am On Jul 01, 2014
I love the last paragraph it deserves an answer from all our leaders in this country

Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by adisa204(m): 11:56am On Jul 01, 2014
FrancisTony: Children of these days don't study any longer. sad smh!

We burnt midnight candle during our own time of writing Wassce. tongue grin

Like Chinua Achebe said "There was truly a country".

I weep for this generation. cry
weep for yourself...........can u please tell us the impact you made in your own generation.......all because of marking waec script.And I even read when someone said he marked for his friend imagine
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Odunharry(m): 11:56am On Jul 01, 2014
FrancisTony:

It should be corruption. Most of the teachers we have in Nigeria don't have the zeal to teach. They took teaching as an alternative to survive since they couldn't get a good job in a field they were trained on. Teachers are not paid well in this our country. So, you don't expect someone who has passion for it but got a lucrative job waiting for him/her to accept the profession of teaching. undecided
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Odunharry(m): 12:01pm On Jul 01, 2014
juwoonn:
Sorry bro.
I don't like trouble at all.
Forgive me, if you feel offended.
i like this

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

University Of Benin Students Shot This Afternoon / Which Is The Cheapest Federal University In Nigeria Currently? / Aisha Balarabe Bawa's Thesis Plagiarized By Amos Ngaruiya, A Kenyan Lecturer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.