Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,098 members, 7,821,796 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:35 PM

Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Today - Health (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Today (24017 Views)

Lagos Doctors Begin Another Indefinite Strike / Medical Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Wednesday / Resident Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Action Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Today by phantom(m): 3:46pm On Jul 01, 2014
YourHealthlabs:

Disprove what i said with facts. Stop allowing your lecturers deceive you.

If you touch an American patient with your Nigerian Mbbs, oga you'll go to JAIL. Try it
oga what are you saying? as a foreign graduate you must write the licensing exams of the countries in which you want to practice. of course I can't work in the US UK OR Australia without USMLE,PLAB OR AMC. this applies almost everywhere except Trinidad and Tobago where I can practice with my MBBS. your earlier statement implied that a Nigerian doctor who has passed the exams of those countries can't practice in those places WHICH IS FALSE.

7 Likes

Re: Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Today by Nobody: 3:47pm On Jul 01, 2014
phantom: lab technologists -> lab scientists
radiographers -> medical imaging scientists

we all see through the charade.all we see are lazy people trying to get what they couldn't get through the front door from the backdoor.

You phamton can call them whatever you want, it doesn't change the fact they are Scientists in the eyes of FEDERAL LAW.

Which is more important existentially? You or the LAW?. Even when we die, that LAW remains.
Re: Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Today by nobilis: 3:47pm On Jul 01, 2014
You clamor to be granted equal rights and privileges as the medical doctor.
But you do not clamor to have high UTME and postUTME cut off marks like it is for the doctors. But you're comfortable with the lesser cut off marks for admission to study your courses in the university.

You do not clamor to be treated equally with medical students during the course of your training. During the preclinical training years, you guys are given less vigorous treatment than the medical students and you guys are all comfortable with it.

Medical students spend average of 6 to 8 years in medical school (depending on the school) while you guys spend 5 years in school. You do not clamor to at least spend an equal amount of time in school as the doctors. But u clamor to be treated equally.

And you say the doctors are unjust. How can you wish to earn the same salary as someone when you don't do the amount of work the person does? How is that for injustice? Our doctors are accused of being greedy and selfish yet the "health professionals" who are instigating this whole problem are ignored and lauded as saviours of the health sector.

The "amorphous" union called JOHESU allied themselves against doctors. Even hospital works technicians, janitors orderlies are part of JOHESU and they are all clamoring to be heads of hospitals. And I want to ask: what business does a janitor have in heading a hospital? This is to show you the blind greed of JOHESU. And the worst part of it is that those people who are being used by the corrupt few at the helm of affairs of JOHESU seem also blinded. I would really love to see a "consultant" pharmacist or "consultant" nurse sit down and allow a janitor or an orderly to become a chief medical director. And I will also love to see a "consultant" nurse allow herself to earn the same thing as a janitor or an orderly. At least, these will make a case for the relativity of salaries they are clamoring for.

If you provoke them a little bit, they will start to tell you about international best practices. But when the NMA demanded for the post of surgeon general to be created, JOHESU refused. Even though it is obvious that many countries abroad have such positions or the equivalent. Maybe they vehemently rejected it because it is obvious to them that in countries where such positions exist, it is only occupied by physicians.

JOHESU goes on strike and even actively tries to hamper the work of doctors who are trying to look after patients. And they are called saints. Yet when doctors go on strike, they are labelled as murderers. Since you guys want to earn equal pay, this is a perfect opportunity to score points for your agenda. Rise up to the challenge and show us that you can do better than the incompetent doctors.

Is it the work of a "consultant" nurse to prevent a consultant physician or a consultant surgeon from doing his/her work?
Is it the work of a "consultant" pharmacist to cancel and change d course of treatment prescribed by a consultant physician or consultant surgeon without consulting with the physician or surgeon first?
Is it the work of a "consultant" radiographer to prevent the consultant radiologist from reading and interpreting radiological investigations?
Is it the work of a "consultant" lab scientist to cancel and change the order of laboratory tests requested by a consultant physician or consultant surgeon without consulting with the physician or surgeon first?
But this is exactly what is going on in our hospitals and this is the definition of anarchy. Maybe one day we will have consultant janitor, consultant works technician, consultant records clerk, consultant orderly.

And the problem with nigerians is that we are always eager to condemn, to point fingers, eager to criticise and crucify. We don't take the necessary time to look into matters adequately before making judgments. And that is why JOHESU is scoring cheap points with the populace because of their gullibilty and lack of keen reasoning faculties.

Anyways, we will all see how it plays out.

12 Likes

Re: Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Today by phantom(m): 3:50pm On Jul 01, 2014
saxywale:
Doctors don't get poached again as the profession is heavily regulated except the poster is referring to countries like Uganda or CAR. In a country like Canada, they find regulated degrees not even as valuable as the paper they are written on especially when it's from a 3rd world country. Even doctors from almighty India would spend at least 5 years retraining to prove their worth before being allowed to touch a patient.
If it was that easy, all Nigerian doctors would have left Nigeria for better pay abroad.

note:I am not taking sides in this argument. I have a doctor as sister, a registered nurse as sister and pharmacist as wife.
this is false. those countries have NEVER REALLY POACHED our graduates.even in the 70s and 80s.what you actually mean to say is that its MORE DIFFICULT THESE DAYS TO GET PLACEMENTS ABROAD. that is not necessarily due to our qualifications but might be because of tighter or stricter IMMIGRATION policies. this issue is multifactorial

4 Likes

Re: Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Today by Nobody: 4:05pm On Jul 01, 2014
phantom: this is false. those countries have NEVER REALLY POACHED our graduates.even in the 70s and 80s.what you actually mean to say is that its MORE DIFFICULT THESE DAYS TO GET PLACEMENTS ABROAD. that is not necessarily due to our qualifications but might be because of tighter or stricter IMMIGRATION policies. this issue is multifactorial
give me about 5 minutes.lemme get on my computer. I am using a phone to type.
Re: Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Today by Nobody: 4:06pm On Jul 01, 2014
For our 5th centrury docs that hang on the "not-doctor-not-smart" belief. I didn't hear any American Doc telling U.S. Nurses to go write 'JAMB' if they want to become Docs.

I 've also never heard a U.S Physician talk about 'owning' Patients like Nigerian doctors always mouth about, even though U.S was a hotbed of slavery.

"Not true, Dr. Potempa said — the
new degree simply ensures that
nurses stay competent. “It’s not like
a group of us woke up one day to
create a degree as a way to compete
with another profession,” she said.
Nurses are very proud of the fact
that they’re nurses, and if nurses
had wanted to be doctors, they
would have gone to medical
school.

That the difference right there between the first world Physicians and our Pre- paleolithic dokitas. Mentality!

2 Likes

Re: Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Today by phantom(m): 4:09pm On Jul 01, 2014
till date Nigerian medical graduates compete favourably anywhere in the world. go and check the pass rates of our graduates in USMLE & PLAB. after the Indians, the Nigerians are not far off. I know a boy four classes below me in medical school who left without doing the NYSC and in 3 -4 years became an " attending " in paediatrics.medical graduates leave the country everyday and compete well. that tells you something is fundamentally wrong in Nigeria and we all know what is. until Nigerians address the root cause we are not moving an inch forward. if we kill all the Nigerian doctors today and import american, British and Indian doctors,we will still have our abysmal and shameful health indices.don't be decieved. in the US,certain specialties are kept for their people e.g cardiothoracic, neurosurgery e.t.c. I don't know why but it makes no sense to me.you can't blame that on foreign qualifications.even Ben Carson a black american trained doctor had to surmount lots of obstacles before he could carry out paediatric surgeries.

3 Likes

Re: Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Today by Nobody: 4:16pm On Jul 01, 2014
phantom: as if you could even afford to go to Ghana if your life depended on it....lol.
I wl never be in such situation...

Btw: Nurses are de facto consultants within localities.
Re: Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Today by phantom(m): 4:47pm On Jul 01, 2014
in the radiology department of UPTH,there is 1 MRI machine,1CT machine and 1 functioning ultrasound machine. the mammography machine has packed up.the digital xray machine is dead. they have been using the mobile xray machine used for patients who cannot be moved.the mobile machine is not built to handle lots of patients. in UPTH they xray not less than 50 patients a day.the mobile machine will soon pack up cos of the load.

the MRI machine is a 0.2 Tesla machine. (that figure is an indication of the strength of the machine and quality of images you get.the higher the Tesla, the better)
abroad they have gone up to 7tesla and more.in Ghana ,the least they have us 2 or 3 Tesla. in India they don't have less than 3 Tesla machines. the images gotten with 3 Tesla machine are so beautiful. you see tiny blood vessels well defined. a friend of mine went to India and told them we had a 0.2 Tesla machine at UPTH.they looked at him like he fell from the moon.a brand new MRI is about 300million naira
the ultrasound machine at UPTH is a new one but get this....it was acquired under a PPP arrangement. can you beat that? a state of the art ultrasound machine is at the most 20million naira.can't our government afford 50 of those?the machine came without a transvaginal prove meaning we can't properly assess the ovaries in an infertile woman.
the main x ray machine is dead so we have drastically reduced patient load and can't carry out contrast studies like HSG ,MCUG and IVU.

the CT machine is not wonderful.we can't do angiographic procedures.the injector never worked since the unit was installed.
the mammography machine is dead.we can't screen elderly women for breat cancers.
no dedicated generator for the department so poor power supply has ruined many of the machines and many times power has gone off in the middle of examinations ruining our images.
all these machines were acquired from vamed under obj in 2005.nothing has changed since then.
it is the same story in other depts. sometimes no reagents or fake reagents in the lab. no drugs in the pharmacy.no sterile packs for surgeons. no water or electricity for patients. are doctors magicians? we are seriously hampered YET we try our best.it is seriously disheartening when Nigerians crucify and call us all sorts when their leaders are robbing them blind.
Re: Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Today by Nobody: 4:48pm On Jul 01, 2014
Sad!
Re: Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Today by drobadebayo: 4:52pm On Jul 01, 2014
YourHealthlabs:

Sorry your last paragraph is another common fallacy you guys sold to the unsuspecting public.

A Nigerian-trained mbbs doctor won't be allowed touch an American patient. Never!. Even U.S medical Interns and Resident Docs are not allowed to treat patients, that's why they are paid far lower that Pharmacists, Nurses and Scientists in the States. Go check the relativity. American lives are too precious.

Now statistically, In the U.S the chances of a foreign-trained doctor passing MCAT and practicing in the U.S is a paltry 3% and that includes Britons, Indians, Italians, Nigerians, Filipinos and the rest of the world....all sharing a paltry 3%!. 97% is for U.S-trained Docs.

My uncle is a Nigerian-born US-trained doc practicing in the U.S.
Many Nigerian-born docs practicing there are US-trained. Nigerian-trained docs are only fit to be phlebotomists and lab specimen collectors in the U.S until they acquire more training and try passing MCAT.

Please let endeavour to tell the world the truth.
Let's not propagate lies because of hatred.foreign docs don't do mcat,thats one fallacy.i belive u meant usmle which is required by all doctors foreign trained or us-trained.number two is Nigerian docs practising abroad are more Dan d ones at home and of course naija trained.77% of black docs in us are Nigerians and dey r fully licensed to practise

http://www.punchng.com/health/77-of-black-doctors-in-us-are-nigerians-reps-committee/

5 Likes

Re: Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Today by phantomxx: 5:34pm On Jul 01, 2014
In the radiology dept of UPTH,there is 1 MRI machine,1CT machine and 1 functioning ultrasound machine. the mammography machine has packed up. the digital xray machine is dead. they have been using the mobile xray machine(for bedside xray examination of immobile patients). the mobile machine is not built for a high patient load. at UPTH,they xray not less than 50 patents a day using that same mobile machine. of course its just a matter of time before it packs up.
the MRI machine is a 0.2 tesla machine(the figure is an indication of the strenght of the machine and the quality of images gotten. the higher the tesla,the better)Abroad,they are using 7tesla and above machines.Iin ghana,the least they have is 2-3 tesla. In india they dont have less than 3 tesla machines. even with a 3 tesla machine,the images are so beautiful. you can see very tiny blood vessels maybe in the brain for instance,all well defined. a colleague of mine visited india and told them we had a 0.2 tesla machine at UPTH and they looked at him like he fell from the moon.....lol. a brand new MRI is about 300million naira. cant our govt afford it
the ultrasound machine at UPTH is a new one but get this.....it was acquired under PPP. can you beat that in a govt hospital? shame! a state of the art US machine is about 20million naira. cant our govt afford to install 50 of those in all our hospitals the same machine at UPTH came without a transvaginal ultrasound probe meaning we cant properly assess the ovaries in an infertile woman.
The main xray machine is dead so we have drastically reduced patient load so as not to damage the mobile xray machine. since the main machine is bad. we cant do HSG,MCUG/RCUG and IVU procedures.
The CT machine is not wonderful. we cant do angiographic(blood vessel studies) procedures. the auto injector that came with the unit has never worked since it was installed.
the mammography machine is dead. we cant screen for breast cancer in elderly women.
no dedicated generator for the dept so poor power supply has ruined many of our machines and power has gone of many times in the middle of radiological investigations resulting in very poor images.
All these machines were acquired from vamed under OBJ in 2005. nothing has changed sine then.
it is the same story in other depts. sometimes we have no reagents or fake reagents in the lab. no drugs at the hospital pharmacy. no sterile packs for surgeons. no water or electricity for patients.

are doctors magicians we are seriously hampered YET we try our best. it is seriously disheartening when nigerians point accusing fingers at us and call us all sorts without asking the right questions. but they sit and watch helplessly as our leaders rob us blind. sad sad sad angry angry angry
Re: Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Today by drobadebayo: 5:35pm On Jul 01, 2014
I have looked and looked and yet to see a reputable hospital in United States headed by a nurse or a pharmacist.Mayo clinic is headed by a neurologist Dr John noseworthy,MGH by Dr Peter slavin,a physician,Johns Hopkins by Dr Paul rothman,a rheumatologist.which hospitals are they always talking about?am curious.

2 Likes

Re: Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Today by Nobody: 5:48pm On Jul 01, 2014
Re: Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Today by Nobody: 5:50pm On Jul 01, 2014
drobadebayo:
Let's not propagate lies because of hatred.foreign docs don't do mcat,thats one fallacy.i belive u meant usmle which is required by all doctors foreign trained or us-trained.number two is Nigerian docs practising abroad are more Dan d ones at home and of course naija trained.77% of black docs in us are Nigerians and dey r fully licensed to practise

http://www.punchng.com/health/77-of-black-doctors-in-us-are-nigerians-reps-committee/

Yeah, i meant USMLE, not MCAT, i even wrote mentioned it in one of my previous post before mixing it up. USMLE it is. Mistake is mine. Apologies

Nigerians in the U.S are one of the most educated group of people in the U.S, but most Nigerians practicing there like my uncle schooled there and got his medical degree in the U.S. The chances are higher for Nigerians with American medical degree.

I still maintain that statistics, People with Non-US medical degrees have only cummulative 3% chance of practicing in the United States, even lower for Nigerian mbbs. There is no dearth of doctors in the United states as there is for Nurses and Clinical laboratory Scientists.

For some years now, Americans are right now offering Permanent resident status to Scientists who wish to immigrate and work in their medical laboratories. 30-40% of Clinical laboratory scientists in the U.S will retire in 10 -15 years..baby boomers. To fill the gaps that will be created in the future, they are aggressively recruiting internationally-trained Clinical laboratory scientists and Nurses and issuing green cards to the Professionals. Canada has same issues.

My assertions can be easily verified.

2 Likes

Re: Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Today by Nobody: 5:51pm On Jul 01, 2014
phantom: this is false. those countries have NEVER REALLY POACHED our graduates.even in the 70s and 80s.what you actually mean to say is that its MORE DIFFICULT THESE DAYS TO GET PLACEMENTS ABROAD. that is not necessarily due to our qualifications but might be because of tighter or stricter IMMIGRATION policies. this issue is multifactorial

Immigration for where..that's an entirely different ball game. That's even the easiest of the process.

Only one-quarter of immigrants educated outside Canada are working in medical, law and teaching occupations(heavily regulated) for which they're trained, according to a report from Statistics Canada. And with Doctors the problem seems to be an everlasting one.

Foreign-trained doctors who immigrate to Canada face [b]a rigorous licensing process in which they must prove themselves worthy of a residency seat in the Canadian medical system.[/b] But many -often despite 7-10+ yrs. of experience, hit a serious roadblock when it comes to qualifying & becoming a medical practitioner in Canada.

The Procedure to become ‘Practicing Doctors' in Canada:
In simple terms, an expatriate doctor must get Retrained, pass some Exams, complete a 1 yr. Internship then apply for a 2 yr. Residency Position. Ideally, The total Time frame in theory should take 4-5 yrs., before being 'permitted' to practice medicine. But is it? Here are the Steps involved:

Step-1. Language Tests (Written & Oral):
All foreign-trained doctors firstly, must pass the language tests [2 types -written as well as oral] to practice in this country.

Step-2. Canadian Medical Course & Exam ($950): (1 or more or disqualification)
Secondly, doctors must take Canadian university courses and are required to sit for a series of exams. These are two [2] exams -one written and one clinical -administered by the Ontario International Medical Graduate Program [similar in other provinces].These are the Qualifying Exams before they are allowed to practice medicine.

Step-3. Medical Practice of 1 year:
In order to be accepted into Residency Programs, they must have at least one [1] year of continuous medical practice within the previous four years. This is usually a hands-on training under a qualified medical practitioner.

Step-4. The Residency Program of 2 years:
The last step is to apply for a two [2] year residency position under the Canadian Resident Matching Service (CaRMS). Which are administered by universities and hospitals together.

Step-5. Medical Council of Canada's Evaluation Exam 1 & 2, $1,695 & $2,260: (1year or more or disqualification)
As a final step, there is the Medical Council of Canada's Evaluation Exam, which all foreign doctors must write to obtain his Medical License. And thereon, s/he can practice medicine in Canada.

So, where is the Problem?
The foregoing 5 steps seem to be fairly Ok. Though time consuming, but is achievable, Right? Wrong... there is a problem.

Problem-1. Scarcity of Residency Openings:
A major problem is the shortage of residency openings. An American residency is treated on a par with a Canadian one, but doctors from other countries are not. Therefore, the majority of immigrant doctors have to complete a residency here. “The snag is getting the residency, you can pass all your exams, but you still can't get into a training program.”

Foreign doctors can compete with Canadian medical school graduates for residency positions. But there is a catch: Foreign doctors will only be considered after Canadian-trained graduates have found residency positions. They can compete in the second round -for the leftovers. The competition is stiff. In 2003, 625 international graduates competed. Only 67 -about ten percent, found a position.

In every province the situation regarding residency positions varies: the number of positions available, the rules about how to get them and how long a doctor has to train. Each province sets aside a few positions for foreign doctors, but in no province is the number of residencies available equal to the number of doctors seeking to fill them.

Problem-2. Qualifying for the Residency Programs:
Foreign-trained doctors are caught in a Catch-22. In order to be accepted into residency programs, they must have at least one year of continuous medical practice. This is nearly impossible to accomplish. 'Coz, upon immigrating to Canada, doctors also must take Canadian university courses and are required to sit for provincial and federal exams before they are allowed to practice medicine. Therein lies the problem: they cannot get the residency without the experience and cannot practice in Canada without passing the qualifying exams A complex situation, albeit.

Problem-3. Time, Effort & Money:
This education, examination, training & residency process can be lengthy. And costs quite a lot. And if all goes well it would yet take 4-5 years to complete.

Some Examples:

(a) In Iran, Dr. Shahab Khanahmad had worked as a family physician for two years. He also worked as an assistant in the Teheran University Neurology Dept's clinical Electrophysiology Lab, studying diseases such as Epilepsy. But in Canada, Khanahmadi hasn't been able to work as a doctor. The closest he's come to a hospital is as an unpaid assistant to a Neurologist and as a Volunteer in a family practice. The 32-year-old says, “I am so disappointed.”

Dr. Khanahmadi came to Vancouver in September 2001. He studied in UBC, passed all Canadian medical exams and in 2004 applied for a residency position under the CaRMS. He got two interviews but no position. That year British Columbia had only six positions set aside in family practice for immigrant doctors. After 2 more year's attempts, in 2007 he finally got his residential opening.

(b) Dr. Bashir started studying medicine ab-initio in Canada. After 3 yrs. of medical school & clearing the qualifying exams he needed to pass the clinical exam. Bashir says, “I had never failed an exam in my life.” But the first time he took the Ontario exams, his clinical scores were not high enough to be accepted into the program. He tried again a year later, with the same disappointing result.

When he wasn't on social assistance, Bashir worked as a cabbie and a dishwasher. He tried the exams again in 2002 and 2003. His written results were always among the highest out of some 500 candidates. But the examiners weren't satisfied with his clinical skills. They told Bashir his accent made it difficult for patients to understand him [though he had passed the Language Exams].

Finally, in 2004, almost 9 years and 15 exams later, Bashir got closer to practicing here as a doctor. He secured a residency at McMaster. It was what he had always wanted, but he says, “I am 33. I've lost nine years -almost a third of my life.

Conclusion:
Before medical doctors can practice in any Canadian province, they must complete a residency program, which is a paid hospital position considered the last step in medical training. This applies to doctors trained in Canada and doctors educated abroad. But there is an important difference between these two groups: nearly all Canadian medical school graduates are accepted into residency positions, but only just over a quarter of foreign-trained doctors were able to find a residency position last year.

They are the victims of a complicated bureaucracy that seems intent on shutting out foreign-trained physicians.

The few Nigerian doctors i have met here spent average of 9 years going through the rigorous process listed above. The exams also have a number of times you need to fail or yu would be permanently disqualified. People spend nothing less than one year preparing for each exams and there are three exams in all. i have only met one that spent a minimum of 5 years. That's why i just smile when Nigerian doctors always boast about how important they are in advanced countries. So do you still think they poach Nigerian in 1st world nations after reading the article above?

1 Like

Re: Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Today by drobadebayo: 5:55pm On Jul 01, 2014
saxywale: .
Ur ryt Canada has a peculiarity.its almost impossible to work as a doc in Canada whether you r from Britain or liberia.its even difficult for us citizens,only less difficult
Re: Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Today by Peaceworld(m): 5:55pm On Jul 01, 2014
nobilis: You clamor to be granted equal rights and privileges as the medical doctor.
But you do not clamor to have high UTME and postUTME cut off marks like it is for the doctors. But you're comfortable with the lesser cut off marks for admission to study your courses in the university.

You do not clamor to be treated equally with medical students during the course of your training. During the preclinical training years, you guys are given less vigorous treatment than the medical students and you guys are all comfortable with it.

Medical students spend average of 6 to 8 years in medical school (depending on the school) while you guys spend 5 years in school. You do not clamor to at least spend an equal amount of time in school as the doctors. But u clamor to be treated equally.

And you say the doctors are unjust. How can you wish to earn the same salary as someone when you don't do the amount of work the person does? How is that for injustice? Our doctors are accused of being greedy and selfish yet the "health professionals" who are instigating this whole problem are ignored and lauded as saviours of the health sector.

The "amorphous" union called JOHESU allied themselves against doctors. Even hospital works technicians, janitors orderlies are part of JOHESU and they are all clamoring to be heads of hospitals. And I want to ask: what business does a janitor have in heading a hospital? This is to show you the blind greed of JOHESU. And the worst part of it is that those people who are being used by the corrupt few at the helm of affairs of JOHESU seem also blinded. I would really love to see a "consultant" pharmacist or "consultant" nurse sit down and allow a janitor or an orderly to become a chief medical director. And I will also love to see a "consultant" nurse allow herself to earn the same thing as a janitor or an orderly. At least, these will make a case for the relativity of salaries they are clamoring for.

If you provoke them a little bit, they will start to tell you about international best practices. But when the NMA demanded for the post of surgeon general to be created, JOHESU refused. Even though it is obvious that many countries abroad have such positions or the equivalent. Maybe they vehemently rejected it because it is obvious to them that in countries where such positions exist, it is only occupied by physicians.

JOHESU goes on strike and even actively tries to hamper the work of doctors who are trying to look after patients. And they are called saints. Yet when doctors go on strike, they are labelled as murderers. Since you guys want to earn equal pay, this is a perfect opportunity to score points for your agenda. Rise up to the challenge and show us that you can do better than the incompetent doctors.

Is it the work of a "consultant" nurse to prevent a consultant physician or a consultant surgeon from doing his/her work?
Is it the work of a "consultant" pharmacist to cancel and change d course of treatment prescribed by a consultant physician or consultant surgeon without consulting with the physician or surgeon first?
Is it the work of a "consultant" radiographer to prevent the consultant radiologist from reading and interpreting radiological investigations?
Is it the work of a "consultant" lab scientist to cancel and change the order of laboratory tests requested by a consultant physician or consultant surgeon without consulting with the physician or surgeon first?
But this is exactly what is going on in our hospitals and this is the definition of anarchy. Maybe one day we will have consultant janitor, consultant works technician, consultant records clerk, consultant orderly.

And the problem with nigerians is that we are always eager to condemn, to point fingers, eager to criticise and crucify. We don't take the necessary time to look into matters adequately before making judgments. And that is why JOHESU is scoring cheap points with the populace because of their gullibilty and lack of keen reasoning faculties.

Doctors here please get enlightened.Follow the links below:

http://www.wimbledonclinics.co.uk/consultants/

Anybody see the Consultant Physiotherapist in that sea of doctors?

Follow link to American Association of Consultant Pharmacists here:

https://www.ascp.com/

Consultant Pharmacists in Canada:

http://www.cscpharm.com/

NMA brought in Surgeon General without even knowing the meaning, but are now fighting to withhold consultancy for other health professionals. It's so sad, coming from a so-called body of repute. SMH.... And for your information, other health professionals have been fighting to make their undergraduate courses 6 years for some time now...see what NUC did to D. Pharm with the help of NMA? Some professions take MB with medical students now. And it will get better if only NMA will stop thinking it's their right alone to professionally develops.

1 Like

Re: Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Today by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jul 01, 2014
drobadebayo:
Ur ryt Canada has a peculiarity.its almost impossible to work as a doc in Canada whether you r from Britain or liberia.its even difficult for us citizens,only less difficult
You are correct. Most guys I known have relocated to the Caribbean islands so as to get a better chance of getting residency in New york. The process cost $$$$$$$
Re: Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Today by phantomxxx: 5:58pm On Jul 01, 2014
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin wale all you have succeded in telling us is that GETTING PLACEMENTS IN FOREIGN COUNTRIES FOR FOREIGN MEDICAL GRADUATES IS DIFFICULT. i didnt argue with that.what i argued with was our basic nigerian qualifications OVER THERE. your post failed to mention anywhere a nigerian was or is required to go through medical school AGAIN from scratch.

from time immemorial,the us and canada HAVE NEVER valued foreign graduates over theirs.your use of the word 'poached' means that they had a scarcity of doctors OR were not satisfied with the quality of their own graduates so they had to come steal our 1st class doctors

1 Like

Re: Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Today by skabber2: 5:59pm On Jul 01, 2014
citizenisb: may we pray that evil BH does not strike again in Abuja before all you rats ranting understand the importance of doctors in your lives.

doctors are the best paid in the States because they value life and if we are so incompetent why do Nigerian trained doctors get frequently poached to work in the US and UK health sectors

You can as well start the bombing or carry gun to the nearest market and shoot as many as you can for us to know the importance of durstors.

Must you always reason with your anus?
Re: Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Today by phantomxxx: 6:03pm On Jul 01, 2014
if you like be a distinction candidate from nigeria,you must write and pass the licensing exams of foreign countries to practice there.no arguement there.'re-training' as you put is a repeat RESIDENCY TRAINING. NOT repeat basic medical training.
Re: Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Today by drobadebayo: 6:05pm On Jul 01, 2014
YourHealthlabs:

Yeah, i meant USMLE, not MCAT, i even wrote mentioned it in one of my previous post before mixing it up. USMLE it is. Mistake is mine. Apologies

Nigerians in the U.S are the one of most educated group of people in the U.S, but most Nigerians practicing there like my uncle schooled there and got his medical degree in the U.S. The chances are higher for Nigerians with American medical degree.

I still maintain that statistics, People with Non-US medical degrees have only 3% chance of practicing in the United States regardless of what country they hail from. There is no dearth of doctors in the United states as there is for Nurses and Clinical laboratory Scientists.

For some years now, Americans are right now offering Permanent resident status to Scientists who wish to immigrate and work in their medical laboratories. 30-40% of Clinical laboratory scientists in the U.S will retire in 10 -15 years..baby boomers. To fill the gaps that will be created in the future, they are aggressively recruiting internationally-trained Clinical laboratory scientists and Nurses and issuing green cards to the Professionals. Canada has same issues.

My assertions can be easily verified.
No dearth of docs? Theses websites as well as AAMC disagrees with you.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100546118

http://www.businessinsider.com/there-is-a-serious-shortage-of-primary-care-doctors-and-its-only-getting-worse-2013-9

Plus ur statistics are very wrong.This is last 2013 match process for international medical graduates

http://www.ecfmg.org/news/2013/03/21/img-performance-in-the-2013-match/#sthash.GBUA8AUN.dpbs

Read this and u ll realise shortage of nurses in US is a myth.43percent of registered nurses can't get a job in 6 months

http://thehealthcareblog.com/blog/2013/01/15/the-nursing-shortage-myth/

1 Like

Re: Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Today by phantomxxx: 6:11pm On Jul 01, 2014
In the radiology dept of upth,there is one MRI machine,one ct machine and one functioning ultrasound machine.the mammography machine has packed up.the digital xray machine is dead.they have been using the mobile xray machine(for bedside xray examination of immobile patients).the mobile machine is not built for a high patient load.at upth,they xray not less than fifty patents a day using that same mobile machine.of course its just a matter of time before it packs up.
the MRI machine is a zero point two tesla machine(the figure is an indication of the strenght of the machine and the quality of images gotten. the higher the tesla,the better)Abroad,they are using seven tesla and above machines.in ghana,the least they have is two to three tesla.In india they dont have less than three tesla machines.even with a three tesla machine,the images are so beautiful.you can see very tiny blood vessels maybe in the brain for instance,all well defined.a colleague of mine visited india and told them we had a zero point two tesla machine at UPTH and they looked at him like he fell from the moon.....lol.a brand new MRI is about 300 million naira.cant our govt afford it
the ultrasound machine at ph teaching hospital is a new one but get this.....it was acquired under PPP.can you beat that in a govt hospital?shame! a state of the art ultrasound machine is about 20million naira.cant our govt afford to install 50 of those in all our hospitalsthe same machine at UPTH came without a transvaginal ultrasound probe meaning we cant properly assess the ovaries in an infertile woman.
The main xray machine is dead so we have drastically reduced patient load so as not to damage the mobile xray machine. since the main machine is bad.we cant do hsg,mcug/rcug and ivu procedures.
The ct machine is not wonderful.we cant do angiodraphic(blood vessel studies) procedures.the auto injector that came with the unit has never worked since it was installed.
the mammography machine is dead.we cant screen for breast cancer in elderly women.
no dedicated generator for the dept so poor power supply has ruined many of our machines and power has gone of many times in the misddle of radiological investigations resulting in very poor images
all these machines were acquired from vamed under obasanjo in 2005.nothing has changed since then.
it is the same story in other depts.sometimes we have no reagents or fake reagents in the lab.no drugs at the hospital pharmacy.no sterile packs for surgeons.no water or electricity for patients.

are doctors magicians we are seriously hampered yet we try our best.it is seriously disheartening when nigerians point accusing fingers at us and call us all sorts without asking the right questions. but they sit and watch helplessly as our leaders rob us blind.
Re: Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Today by drobadebayo: 6:12pm On Jul 01, 2014
phantomxxx: if you like be a distinction candidate from nigeria,you must write and pass the licensing exams of foreign countries to practice there.no arguement there.'re-training' as you put is a repeat RESIDENCY TRAINING. NOT repeat basic medical training.
Abi oo.people just make assumptions wen dey don't understand something.u can't enter any country and start practising medicine without writing exams and passing them.no matter how good u are.in some states in US u require further certifications to practise even after being licensed in other states.it is medicine not nursing.its deir way of saying"hey,prove to us that u can treat our people"

1 Like

Re: Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Today by DaKing007(m): 6:16pm On Jul 01, 2014
sexy-excalibur:

Lol, have u heard of private practice

We call it PP or workshop
Re: Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Today by ebiskem(m): 6:19pm On Jul 01, 2014
Thank you my brother. Tell them.
otokx:

No work no pay will not affect them, they are not lazy lecturers.
Re: Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Today by Nobody: 6:19pm On Jul 01, 2014
phantomxxx: grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin wale all you have succeded in telling us is that GETTING PLACEMENTS IN FOREIGN COUNTRIES FOR FOREIGN MEDICAL GRADUATES IS DIFFICULT. i didnt argue with that.what i argued with was our basic nigerian qualifications OVER THERE. your post failed to mention anywhere a nigerian was or is required to go through medical school AGAIN from scratch.

from time immemorial,the us and canada HAVE NEVER valued foreign graduates over theirs.your use of the word 'poached' means that they had a scarcity of doctors OR were not satisfied with the quality of their own graduates so they had to come steal our 1st class doctors

Sorry i misunderstood you. I never said there was anything wrong with naija qualifications, atleast my first degree and my wife's Bpharm are from naija. What i was trying to say is that, it's not as easy as the other poster before you was trying to portray i.e naija doctors are being poached by Advanced countries.
citizenisb: may we pray that evil BH does not strike again in Abuja before all you rats ranting understand the importance of doctors in your lives.

doctors are the best paid in the States because they value life and if we are so incompetent why do Nigerian trained doctors get frequently poached to work in the US and UK health sectors

Those Nigerian doctors practicing in 1st world countries are not just Nigerian doctors but the "1st class ones" among them. Those qualifying exams are not rice and beans.

:to take without permission and use as one's own: to poach ideas; a staff poached from other companies.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/poach

1 Like

Re: Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Today by Nobody: 6:20pm On Jul 01, 2014
thread derailed

2 Likes

Re: Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Today by DaKing007(m): 6:22pm On Jul 01, 2014
olrotimi: I still dont understand all these hoof hoof about we doctors, soo loved yet soo hated. Unfortunately the common man wldnt understand the genesis of the conflict in the health sector. Visit the average lab in teachn hospitals & you'd be shocked abt the incompetence of the technicians (i desist from calling them scientists cos thrz nthng scientific abt their operation). We often times go back to discuss the veracity of the results they gv us which doesnt tally with clinical diagnosis, u'd b shockd to the marrow how hollow an explanation they'd offer. Its commön knowledge that if therz a diagnostic dilema, we take our samples to private laboratories which are directly supervised by doctors .......these are the people who want to be consultants. Consultants of the very chemicals they are confused about?

1 Like

Re: Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Today by drobadebayo: 6:25pm On Jul 01, 2014
saxywale:

Sorry i misunderstood you. I never said there was anything wrong with naija qualifications, atleast my first degree and my wife's Bpharm are from naija. What i was trying to say is that, it's not as easy as the other poster before you was trying to portray i.e naija doctors are being poached by Advanced countries.

Those Nigerian doctors practicing in 1st world countries are not just Nigerian doctors but the "1st class ones" among them. Those qualifying exams are not rice and beans.
Truedat!but the thing is if u could make final MB exam,u cn make USMLE with the right preps,u don't hv to be d best in ur class.u jst hv to get it right.
Re: Doctors Begin Nationwide Strike Today by DaKing007(m): 6:29pm On Jul 01, 2014
nobilis: You clamor to be granted equal rights and privileges as the medical doctor.

Food for thought

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Nigerian Man Diagnosed With Brain Tumour, Left Paralyzed Recounts His Recovery / Dangote, Access Bank To Provide 1000-Bed Facility To Combact Coronavirus / Safe Home Remedies For Yellow Teeth#dentist Directive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 143
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.