Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,741 members, 7,824,139 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:10 AM

Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey (18099 Views)

The Importance Of Studying The Word Of God (the Bible) / Muslims Proving Islam Is God's True Religion By Seeking The Bible: / Murder in the name of God - The slaying of Pope John Paul 1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by torchwave: 8:37am On Jul 01, 2014
This is a continuation of the thread "Interested In An Online Christian Group? Please Come In. Unbelievers Stay Out." It is unfortunate that a huge amount of data was lost, along with that thread, when the site crashed for days. Nevertheless, all is not lost.

Why a different title? Why not simply recreate the lost thread using the same title? A different title became essential to reflect the content of this thread. When I created the previous thread, I intended it to be an interaction (which it was to some extent) but it was, on the most part, a semblance of a weekly diary. Now that is what I intend by changing the title, however, the content and participation from others remain the same, the title is the only thing changed.

The thread will go on until the purpose of its existence is achieved - talking with God face to face. Even after that, the thread will stay alive to help others who are interested in fellowshipping with God achieve the greatest thing in life - knowing God. All this by His grace and to the glory of God.

This thread, like the other, is meant to be an interaction among fellow minded Christians. It is meant for encouraging, helping and learning from each other since our experiences in life are unique. It goes without saying that to live a victorious, peaceful, blessed, prosperous and joy-rich life in an ever darkening world of today, knowing God personally is the only door to that kind of life - Heaven on Earth.

If your desire, like mine, is to know God intimately, to have daily fellowship with Him and reap the numerous spiritual and physical benefits of communing with the Holy Spirit, you are graciously welcome to my journey to see the Face of God.

18 Likes

Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by torchwave: 10:07pm On Jul 06, 2014
WEEKLY UPDATE

This past week has been really really challenging. Despite it all, I give thanks to God, especially, because I have found Him faithful. I see His invisble hands at work in my life.

I have been seeking God for over six months now. In the first week of the seventh month of seeking His Face, my determination has not waned nor dwindled.

Sometimes it seems I am just 'wasting' my time sitting in the Presence of God daily, for months now, hearing nothing but the pervading silence of the early morning hours. It really takes faith to continue though seconds stretch into days and days into months.

Faith

In a nutshell, that is what keeps me going. That is what began this journey and that is what will end this journey. Quitting is not an option because it suggests a lack of faith. Without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him - Hebrews 11:6. Besides, I am fullly persuaded that God will honour His Word that says 'seek and you shall find.'

11 Likes

Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by Busybody2(f): 9:34pm On Jul 10, 2014
@Torchwave @Naijababe @thecongo

G'day, kindly send a mail directly to ************** i tried replying the other time but dunno what happened!

Cheers.

@Obowunmi
Re your previous thread concerning Mum...you are what is called "an omo oloju aanu" i.e. a very empathetic child and you hate the "double life" upbringing/your toxic unavailable Dad/your "weak" Mum...this is the core reason you are unconsciously hesitant and wary of adult relationships and have resigned to the unhealthy fact that the odds are unfavourable...

You have the upperhand as an adult now, so you have to boldly approach your Mum for some serious communication about their parental role and its impact on your childhood...

1 Like

Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by torchwave: 11:49pm On Jul 11, 2014
Hi Busybody, glad to hear from you. Thanx for the email. Will get in touch with you.
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by Elijah78: 1:05pm On Jul 14, 2014
Following.........
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by Busybody2(f): 1:50pm On Jul 14, 2014
torchwave: I thank God for another month being the fifth month in my journey of seeking His face. It has not been a smooth journey but His grace on me has made it this consistent. I never dreamed it possible that I'd be this consistent, every morning sitting or standing, listening for His voice day after day, week after week, month after month. God is sweet. Looking back now, I see that covering this distance without feeling weary is proof of God's hand of grace upon me. One desire fulfilled.

The truth is I have been tempted many times to give up as it seems nothing is working and God keeps choosing to remain silent. I had always wondered why God delays His answers to His children. Since He is God, He could grant the answers to our requests in a short time if He chooses to. When I began seeking Him, I wondered why it took long to find Him. I just couldn't understand why God takes long to answer our prayers. Is it that He just loves delaying answers to prayers?

A certain day, very recently, a thought found its way into my thoughts in answer to my confusion. It wasn't a voice but they were words. Weird right? Voiceless words that can be 'heard' in the thoughts. The thought said 'God delays the answers to our prayers for sometime because He is 'sharpening' our faith through our patience.' Almost immediately, I recalled a verse in the Bible I have read quite a few times but which deserted my memory in my confusion about His delays to answering our prayers. I did not remember the exact chapter and verse but I recalled some of the words in this manner, "The trial of your faith worketh patience.'

James 1:3-4, Knowing this, that the trying of your faith works patience
But let patience have her perfect work, that you may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.

When the thought came along with the words of the Scriptures confirming it, I was baffled, surprised, thrilled, happy and had a sense of peace because I knew the thought could not have originated within me. Besides, it had this authority that was lacking in my everyday thoughts. Since then, I have learnt to love His delays to my prayers or, say, His silence whenever I listen for His voice because I know and I know that He is developing my faith through patience. My faith is much more important to Him than the answer to my prayers. It is the only means of reaching Him, receiving from Him and hearing from Him. When you quit asking or seeking Him, there can only be one reason - you've run out of faith.

So then, I love His delays because His delays are for my benefit (for the growth and purification of my faith) and I love His answers which are proof of my tenacious faith. Either way, God is sweet.

Indeed, God is ordering my steps. I'm still on the path of seeking His face and will never turn to the right or left till I have met Him. I'm more confident of finding God than the sun rising tomorrow. I am not being optimistic, I am being very very certain of that fact. I dream of the day I wake up to hear His voice and ask, "Is that you, Lord?" Another great desire fulfilled.

Congratulations torchwave,

Job 33:15 In a dream, in a vision of the night, when deep sleep falleth upon men, in slumbering upon the bed: then openeth the ears of men and sealeth their INSTRUCTIONS...

He is a faithful God hence reason you already have some experience of His presence through music, dreams, the radio, etc and that encounter in your 3rd paragraph is one of the means He speaks to us...That was God talking to you, He communicates His mind and His will to us in various ways and that was an instruction from Him to you, to exercise patience and to reassure you that you now have a relationship with HIM...Add more praise and worship to your routine, cos as you know He inhabits the praises of His people, and I bet you know all there is to know about praying and fasting...I've had several of such similar lucid communication, although mine mostly came by way of chastisement cos I kept refusing to submit to His will...

I'd hear this subtle voice...then hurriedly wake up and see the same passage in the Bible...I had an instance I was running from someone for years and told him "biko stay away from me since it is you your Mama wan kill..." Following this, I got weeks and weeks of loud vivid instructions to stay put, etc, yet I refused and was still saying no and arguing with God... then the next voice I heard was "disobedience is worse than witchcraft"... I jumped outta bed startled and checked the Bible and it was there, shuo shocked Then I started scoping God that shebi He is the one who says we should flee from danger, that that is tantamount to sleeping with the roof on fire, that how can my saying no to His will be worse than witchcraft, etc. I talked and negotiated till I was blue in the face, but for where...I love God sha cheesy

1 Like

Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by torchwave: 7:16pm On Jul 14, 2014
Elijah78: Following.........
Hi Elijah. Very glad to see you bro. Eagerly awaiting your contribution. smiley
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by torchwave: 12:05am On Jul 15, 2014
Busybody2:

Congratulations torchwave,

Job 33:15 In a dream, in a vision of the night, when deep sleep falleth upon men, in slumbering upon the bed: then openeth the ears of men and sealeth their INSTRUCTIONS...

He is a faithful God hence reason you already have some experience of His presence through music, dreams, the radio, etc and that encounter in your 3rd paragraph is one of the means He speaks to us...That was God talking to you, He communicates His mind and His will to us in various ways and that was an instruction from Him to you, to exercise patience and to reassure you that you now have a relationship with HIM...Add more praise and worship to your routine, cos as you know He inhabits the praises of His people, and I bet you know all there is to know about praying and fasting...I've had several of such similar lucid communication, although mine mostly came by way of chastisement cos I kept refusing to submit to His will...

I'd hear this subtle voice...then hurriedly wake up and see the same passage in the Bible...I had an instance I was running from someone for years and told him "biko stay away from me since it is you your Mama wan kill..." Following this, I got weeks and weeks of loud vivid instructions to stay put, etc, yet I refused and was still saying no and arguing with God... then the next voice I heard was "disobedience is worse than witchcraft"... I jumped outta bed startled and checked the Bible and it was there, shuo shocked Then I started scoping God that shebi He is the one who says we should flee from danger, that that is tantamount to sleeping with the roof on fire, that how can my saying no to His will be worse than witchcraft, etc. I talked and negotiated till I was blue in the face, but for where...I love God sha cheesy

Hey BB, your hilarious post really got me laughing helplessly.

You know, that is God for you.

BB, it is evident you have a close relationship with God, something God desires with all His children but few can really say they have it.

There are things I want us to discuss privately because doing so here will be inappropriate.

Besides, you quoted my post from the thread that got lost when NL crashed for some days. How were you able to do that? I have tried to recover that thread to no avail.
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by torchwave: 9:46am On Jul 16, 2014
You know what they say - experience is the best teacher. I recall the words of Bishop David Oyedepo in one of his books (I have forgotten the title of the book) where he said and I quote, "Seeking God is not fun; it is hard work!" I tell you, he cannot be more right.

Since I began this journey, the only reason I have come this far in seeking God, besides grace and faith, is because I keep my eyes on the goal, the reward of daily communion with God that will last till eternity. I don't keep my eyes on the journey or I'd have found a perfect excuse to quit.

I know the pain I go through seeking His face; I also know the rewards and benefits of finding Him, and I know that the latter is much much greater than the former, so incomparable as speck to a mountain. I can't quit, I won't quit, I will never quit, ever. I have tasted and seen that the Lord is sweet, nothing else matters but finding Him.

I could keep my journey in search of God private, between me and God. On the contrary, I made it public because I want to encourage many by documenting my progress. That is my only motive, nothing else. If people get to read how I've been seeking God since I made it public in May, my challenges, my experiences, they'll also be encouraged to seek God and, like me, they will refuse to give up till they have achieved their goal. If and when that happens, one of my dreams will be fulfilled to the glory and praise of God.

2 Likes

Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by torchwave: 9:50am On Jul 16, 2014
I haven't seen or heard from Udeme4Christ and Fruitfulvine for quite some time now. I hope that temporary crash did not adversely affect them.
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by torchwave: 5:30pm On Jul 25, 2014
God, where are You? This is not fair o! grin

Lol. Kidding

God and His mysterious ways...past finding out.

I am really glad that I'm on this journey to know God. It gives everyday a purpose so that I am always looking forward to the next day by preparing for it (making sure nothing makes me miss my daily appointment with God). This is where I'd rather be than anywhere else.

I'm not a little shocked by many Christians who believe communion or dialogue with God is impossible. They have no problem believing a demon can talk to someone but it becomes blasphemy or heresy to say God talks to you daily or that you asked God a question and He replied. To them it is simply unacceptable.

In addition, they are of the opinion...well, let me leave that. This is not the time or place to address such belief.

This hunger to know God is really tearing me apart. The desire is just mounting into an unbearable degree. Sometimes I just wish...(sighs)

Wherever you are, Udeme4Christ, Fruitfulvine, Elijah78 and Ademola (not really sure I got the last name right), I pray you guys have not given up. I have never stopped praying for grace for us to be successful in our quest to know the Lord God Almighty like we know a bosom friend.

Grace be to you all already in this quest and those inspired to embark on this journey. Amen.

1 Like

Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by ayoku777(m): 7:39pm On Jul 25, 2014
Hmmm. Nice to find kindred souls. People who just want to behold his glory or die beseeching too.

Don't give up. Its not easy and its not meant to be.

"God is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him"

There is need for diligence and tenacity in seeking God.

2 Likes

Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by torchwave: 8:34pm On Jul 25, 2014
ayoku777: Hmmm. Nice to find kindred souls. People who just want to behold his glory or die beseeching too.

Don't give up. Its not easy and its not meant to be.

"God is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him"

There is need for diligence and tenacity in seeking God.
thank you. When you said it is not easy, believe me it is not. God has a reason for making the journey difficult but extremely rewarding. Besides helping to strengthen our faith, it also helps to gauge the intensity of our desire and hunger for Him. Someone with little desire or hunger for Him would have quit a long time ago.

Everything you said is apt.

I have come too far to give up. It is not an option at this stage of my journey.

It is refreshing to see someone in this forum who shares the belief, more like conviction, that dialogue with God is possible.

3 Likes

Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by ayoku777(m): 9:08pm On Jul 25, 2014
torchwave: thank you. When you said it is not easy, believe me it is not. God has a reason for making the journey difficult but extremely rewarding. Besides helping to strengthen our faith, it also helps to gauge the intensity of our desire and hunger for Him. Someone with little desire or hunger for Him would have quit a long time ago.

Everything you said is apt.

I have come too far to give up. It is not an option at this stage of my journey.

It is refreshing to see someone in this forum who shares the belief, more like conviction, that dialogue with God is possible.

I understand you too well, brother. I know what it means to have an insatiable hunger for an uncommon intimacy with God. It makes you tarry and tarry and beseech and beseech.

You feel tired but you've reached a point where giving up is now worse than death.

Other christians look at you like a fanatic, or even call you proud and presumptuous to ever think that kind of intimacy can be possible.

It gets to a point where your only encouragement is the word of God and the inner witness of the Spirit nudging you on. But you know what God has shown you and you are ready to contend till you possess.

Be encouraged!

What will be rewarding must first be demanding.

Pain is the test of passion, and perseverance is the proof.

Endurance is the proof of esteem, what you esteem you endure for.

3 Likes

Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by torchwave: 9:44pm On Jul 25, 2014
Ayoku777, thank you very much for the word of encouragement

A personal relationship with God like it was before the fall of Man is worth every pain and sacrifice.

I have the impression you've walked this path before or you're familiar with the journey. Either way, it is an honour to meet you.

Your words of encouragement and advice are worth reflecting on.

I hope I get to hear more often from you.
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by God2man(m): 9:36am On Jul 26, 2014
ayoku777: I understand you too well, brother. I know what it means to have an insatiable hunger for an uncommon intimacy with God. It makes you tarry and tarry and beseech and beseech.

You feel tired but you've reached a point where giving up is now worse than death.

Other christians look at you like a fanatic, or even call you proud and presumptuous to ever think that kind of intimacy can be possible.

It gets to a point where your only encouragement is the word of God and the inner witness of the Spirit nudging you on. But you know what God has shown you and you are ready to contend till you possess.

Be encouraged!

What will be rewarding must first be demanding.

Pain is the test of passion, and perseverance is the proof.

Endurance is the proof of esteem, what you esteem you endure for.

Discipline is training your soul to tolerate travail. It is doing something hard until its not.

Good
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by Busybody2(f): 10:27am On Jul 27, 2014
Morning Torchwave, BRB.

1 Like

Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by Busybody2(f): 12:34pm On Jul 28, 2014
torchwave: Hey BB, your hilarious post really got me laughing helplessly.

You know, that is God for you.

BB, it is evident you have a close relationship with God, something God desires with all His children but few can really say they have it.

There are things I want us to discuss privately because doing so here will be inappropriate.

Besides, you quoted my post from the thread that got lost when NL crashed for some days. How were you able to do that? I have tried to recover that thread to no avail.

When the Potter comes a-calling, what can the clay do ehn, lol.

What simplified things for me was in the old testament God has hundreds of names, but in the new testament He was known by only one name Abba Father...so as with my earthly Father i don't book any appointment to see my Heavenly Father, God, i don't need facebook, whatsapp, i don't need to book appointment with his PA ...same way i can saunter into my earthly Father's presence to ask what newspaper he is reading/ask if he heard such and such in the new... This is the same relationship i have with my heavenly Father God. I pull God's legs, I remind Him to expect the same naughtiness i show my Dad, my ascerbic tongue, try to bribe Him, try to run rings round Him, try to bargain or negotiate with Him...tease Him that shebi He is still my Heavenly Father who knows all my quirks and weakness, so He should chastise me gently if He has to...that i am human who likes to err on the side of caution occasionally so He should not expect 100% perfection from me, that punishment exists cos of foreknowledge of sin...etc

I guess this approach works because i wasn't born into a Christian home so didn't have to follow any protocol or toe any rigid line of fellowshipping with God...so i could just be my brash, blunt self embarassed There are times i get woken up and have realised that once i go back to sleep, na dream/vision sure pass, so i would start doing stronghead with God that i am going to stay awake cos i don't want any...but God can be so patient...even if i succumb to just one minute sleep, that dream/vision will come by fire by force...

The irony though is that with stuffs pertaining to the Holy Spirit, I see him as a no-nonsense person, elewon mi l'oga, so if he asks me to jump, I quickly ask how high...i might later start mumbling under my breath how rigid he is and how if one vexes him now, he fit vex no show face again for 20 years cheesy So for me God, Jesus Christ, Holy Spirit, Angels are like family and i love being the little Sister cheesy cheesy cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by Busybody2(f): 12:48pm On Jul 28, 2014
torchwave:

Besides, you quoted my post from the thread that got lost when NL crashed for some days. How were you able to do that? I have tried to recover that thread to no avail.[/i]

I got it from google cache, twas only the second page i saw thougj. All i did was input your topic into google search and hey presto!
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by torchwave: 8:59am On Jul 29, 2014
Busybody2:

When the Potter comes a-calling, what can the clay do ehn, lol.

What simplified things for me was in the old testament God has hundreds of names, but in the new testament He was known by only one name Abba Father...so as with my earthly Father i don't book any appointment to see my Heavenly Father, God, i don't need facebook, whatsapp, i don't need to book appointment with his PA ...same way i can saunter into my earthly Father's presence to ask what newspaper he is reading/ask if he heard such and such in the new... This is the same relationship i have with my heavenly Father God. I pull God's legs, I remind Him to expect the same naughtiness i show my Dad, my ascerbic tongue, try to bribe Him, try to run rings round Him, try to bargain or negotiate with Him...tease Him that shebi He is still my Heavenly Father who knows all my quirks and weakness, so He should chastise me gently if He has to...that i am human who likes to err on the side of caution occasionally so He should not expect 100% perfection from me, that punishment exists cos of foreknowledge of sin...etc

I guess this approach works because i wasn't born into a Christian home so didn't have to follow any protocol or toe any rigid line of fellowshipping with God...so i could just be my brash, blunt self embarassed There are times i get woken up and have realised that once i go back to sleep, na dream/vision sure pass, so i would start doing stronghead with God that i am going to stay awake cos i don't want any...but God can be so patient...even if i succumb to just one minute sleep, that dream/vision will come by fire by force...

The irony though is that with stuffs pertaining to the Holy Spirit, elewon mi l'oga, if he asks me to jump, i quickly ask how high...i might later start mumbling under my breath how rigid he is and how if one vexes him now, he fit vex no show face again for 20 years. So for me God, Jesus Christ, Holy Spirit, Angels are like family and i love being the little Sister cheesy cheesy cheesy

hahaha. Nice nice nice. God is a master planner you know, because He placed you where you would cultivate unrestrained relationship with Him. That is what He wants, just that - friendship.

It reminds me of the time Jesus came to me in a dream, smiling, and said He wants to be closer to me than my best friend and that I should be free to talk and relate with Him as I would do to a best pal. He made me feel how much He so loves me that I felt strong waves of love from Him towards me.

He is God, He is a sweet and loving Father, and He is also my very best Friend. I so love Him. I always tell Him there is nothing in the world for me, that He is my only portion. I used to keep my feelings to myself and I would not tell God because I thought it was sin or disrespect towards God to tell Him how mad or angry or frustrated I felt. I also felt telling Him how happy or glad or optimistic I was towards anything was unnecessary. However, everything changed after that dream. Now I tell Him anything, I mean like, "God why are You frustrating me? I will fall o if You don't help me." Hahahaha. I tell Him, "God I love You. Everything You do is perfect," "I love You," "God, you see how so and so made me angry. Please give me love for him or her," etc etc...

I'm still learning to talk to Him this way though I cannot say I have arrived at that stage of closeness He desires yet, but I can confidently say I'm almost there. A step at a time.

When I read your post, I kept smiling because I know your relationship with God is what He desires. He wants you to tell Him the good, the bad, the ugly...everything, because He cares to know how we feel, because He loves us deeply.

Indeed, what a caring Elder Brother and Friend we have in Jesus.

He is in the business of spoiling His kids like us with endless affection. Hahahaha. I am so in love with God, our Father and Best Friend.
smiley

2 Likes

Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by torchwave: 9:10am On Jul 29, 2014
Busybody2:

I got it from google cache, twas only the second page i saw thougj. All i did was input your topic into google search and hey presto!

I will try once more to determine the possibility of its recovery. The whole thread I mean. Thanks without measure.
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by Busybody2(f): 4:00pm On Aug 01, 2014
torchwave: I will try once more to determine the possibility of its recovery. The whole thread I mean. Thanks without measure.

Working on this, my sidekick Tigerpaws the terror, is trying to fix this but is having issues - cache has been updated.
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by torchwave: 9:39pm On Aug 01, 2014
Thanks Busybody. Really hope he does. In any event he is unable to recover it, I very much appreciate the effort.
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by torchwave: 10:20pm On Aug 01, 2014
Lord, I am so weary and thirsty from such a long journey. I have walked this wilderness so many days that I can't wait until I finally meet You Face-to-Face.

2 Likes

Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by misreal(m): 11:04pm On Aug 01, 2014
hmmmm..I really want more of God but don't knew we're to start frm
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by torchwave: 8:17am On Aug 02, 2014
Hello Misreal. I believe the only explanation for your desire to want more of God is the fact that God is the One drawing you closer to Himself (John 6:44).

Friendship with God is the highest calling of the human race; it is the reason we were created.

I shall outline the basic steps to take to begin your quest to know God. However, they are by no means the only steps to closeness with God. They are:

Keep a daily time with God: Have a daily appointment with God that you should endeavour to keep. It could be early morning, noon or night. It depends on which is convenient for you.

Take time to listen for His voice: Specify an amount of time to listen to God. It could be an hour or two, thirty minutes, fifteen minutes, ten minutes, five minutes or even two minutes if it is what you can afford.
Don't try to impress God by trying to keep the amount of time that is uncomfortable to you. Experiment and do what works for you. When you have specified the duration of time to spend in His Presence, do as much as possible to keep it.
If in keeping any amount of time you discover it is uncomfortable or doesn't work for you, please try another one. The keyphrase is what works for you.

Meditate on the Word of God or on God: This is the key that tunes your spiritual ears to hear from God. You could decide to meditate (picture) on the Word or picture Christ beside you as you listen for His still small voice in your heart. This is what you do for the duration of the time you have specified to spend in His Presence listening for His voice. Whichever one you choose, Bible or picture or awareness of Jesus Christ beside you or in you, it achieves the same purpose of making you sensitive to the voice of God.

*updated*

Distractions: You will notice that when you begin to pray (listening for the voice of God), your mind seems to take a trip, and that all your efforts to keep it from wandering seems to be in vain. It just ups and jumps into some other irrelevant thoughts without warning giving you an extra duty of having to drag it back to focusing on the listening process. Your mind cannot just stay focused for a long time on meditation that you feel you are getting nowhere. That, my friend, is what is commonly known as distraction.

Distraction in prayer can also come in the form of things to do.

The only way to combat distraction in prayer is to love it. Don't fight it. Fighting it will only result in your tuning out the voice of God. You will block your sensitivity to the Holy Spirit if you fight distraction.

Whenever your mind temporarily wanders from meditation, gently bring it back to meditation because it is also a part of your prayer time.

If thoughts of what you ought to do come up, give your attention to them and write them somewhere on a todo list or assure them of attending to them after your prayer time. That will do the trick. However, they will not cease. You must love them as part of your listening prayer to be able to achieve stillness.

That is basically where to begin your journey to know God, but it doesn't end there.

You should listen to God all day, everyday. It doesn't start and end in your prayer closet. You do this by being aware of His Presence beside you or in you wherever you are or wherever you go.

Develop the habit of talking to God about anything. Don't try to hide your feelings from Him. He already knows what you feel but He loves it when you tell Him, because when you do He is there listening to you.

Dialogue with God is as simple as ask Him a question and wait for a reply from Him.

God reveals Himself at the appointed time. He may begin talking to you shortly after your journey has begun or it may take a long time (like mine). Whatever time it takes to know Him is the price you pay to know Him, it is the accurate guage of your hunger and desire to dialogue with Him. Don't despair if nothing seems to work for a long time. He will surely talk to you if you don't give up.

I hope this helps you to begin your journey to see the Face of God.

1 Like

Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by misreal(m): 10:17am On Aug 02, 2014
torchwave: Hello Misreal. I believe the only explanation for your desire to want more of God is the fact that God is the One drawing you closer to Himself (John 6:44).

Friendship with God is the highest calling of the human race; it is the reason we were created.

I shall outline the basic steps to take to begin your quest to know God. However, they are by no means the only steps to closeness with God. They are:

Keep a daily time with God: Have a daily appointment with God that you should endeavour to keep. It could be early morning, noon or night. It depends on which is convenient for you.

Take time to listen for His voice: Specify an amount of time to listen to God. It could be an hour or two, thirty minutes, fifteen minutes, ten minutes, five minutes or even two minutes if it is what you can afford.
Don't try to impress God by trying to keep the amount of time that is uncomfortable to you. Experiment and do what works for you. When you have specified the duration of time to spend in His Presence, do as much as possible to keep it.
If in keeping any amount of time you discover it is uncomfortable or doesn't work for you, please try another one. The keyphrase is what works for you.

Meditate on the Word of God or on God: This is the key that tunes your spiritual ears to hear from God. You could decide to meditate (picture) on the Word or picture Christ beside you as you listen for His still small voice in your heart. This is what you do for the duration of the time you have specified to spend in His Presence listening for His voice. Whichever one you choose, Bible or picture or awareness of Jesus Christ beside you or in you, it achieves the same purpose of making you sensitive to the voice of God.

That is basically where to begin your journey to know God, but it doesn't end there.

You should listen to God all day, everyday. It doesn't start and end in your prayer closet. You do this by being aware of His Presence beside you or in you wherever you are or wherever you go.

Develop the habit of talking to God about anything. Don't try to hide your feelings from Him. He already knows what you feel but He loves it when you tell Him, because when you do He is there listening to you.

Dialogue with God is as simple as ask Him a question and wait for a reply from Him.

God reveals Himself at the appointed time. He may begin talking to you shortly after your journey has begun or it may take a long time (like mine). Whatever time it takes to know Him is the price you pay to know Him, it is the accurate guage of your hunger and desire to dialogue with Him. Don't despair if nothing seems to work for a long time. He will surely talk to you if you don't give up.

I hope this helps you to begin your journey to see the Face of God.
thank you so much.but,what do you mean by listening to God.as in waiting in silence
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by torchwave: 11:56am On Aug 02, 2014
Yes. That is exactly what it means. You wait in silent expectation of His still small voice.
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by misreal(m): 5:07pm On Aug 02, 2014
torchwave: Yes. That is exactly what it means. You wait in silent expectation of His still small voice.
wow..
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by misreal(m): 5:07pm On Aug 02, 2014
torchwave: Yes. That is exactly what it means. You wait in silent expectation of His still small voice.
wow..what if the voice does not come.
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by misreal(m): 5:11pm On Aug 02, 2014
can I play a worship song with my phone while waiting and what body position is advisable.that is weda to lie or sit down
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by josh001(m): 9:50pm On Aug 02, 2014
The place of fellowship, the place of the word, the place of prayer, the place of praise. These three are key in the place of fellowship.
fact #1: God is not man that He should lie, he has promised to reward those who diligently seek Him.Note that diligence may connote seemingly stupid perseverance and acidic faith.
fact #2: Seek more of the comforter, the holy spirit. It is good to want to see God with face, o what Glories unspeakable, something all Christians crave for but few are willing to pay the price including me. In your place of waiting however, why don't you commune with the holyspirit. I do want to believe that you are baptised with the holyspirit, and you are sure of the infilling. He us with us for a purpose and we need not go through much stress for the purpose to come good. With total faith, just ask the holyspirit to grant you audience. After that, take your Bible and tell the holyspirit to explain things to you. Have no doubt, it is expected, just as how you trust your switch to always bring light when it is on. From there, go deeper in fellowship with the holyspirit, He will help your prayer life and your place of the Word.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Witches & Aspiring Witches Meet Here: 36 Signs You Are A Witch / God Delivered My Sister From The Spirit Of Insanity: My Testimony / How I Listen To The Audio Bible (my Advice)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 137
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.