Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,862 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:29 PM

Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey (18092 Views)

The Importance Of Studying The Word Of God (the Bible) / Muslims Proving Islam Is God's True Religion By Seeking The Bible: / Murder in the name of God - The slaying of Pope John Paul 1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by torchwave: 11:08am On Aug 03, 2014
misreal: wow..what if the voice does not come.
Then keep seeking till you hear it. It may not come easily, and it may take time to hear it but you must be willing to pay the price of keeping your daily appointment with Him until you begin to dialogue or converse with Him.

Do you know this is my eight month of seeking His voice? So don't be discouraged if you don't hear anything at first or for a long time. God is very happy you're seeking Him and He will reward you in due time if you don't give up.

can I play a worship song with my phone while waiting and what body position is advisable.that is weda to lie or sit down
You can assume any posture that is comfortable with you. You could decide to sit or stand or lie or kneel if it is what works for you. There is no rules and regulations in listening to God. However, I've discovered that sitting seems to be the more acceptable posture. It makes you relax inwardly and outwardly so that you will be able to give your full concentration to the listening process. Standing is also good. In fact, in my opinion, it doubles your concentration and attention to the inward voice of God.

As regards worship music. I should let you know first that the idea of listening to God entails or requires the medium of silence. There are many Scripture verses on the essence of silence before God. Psalm 46:10 says, Be still and know that I am God. It is in that stillness, the silence of your heart and environment that God is able to talk to you.

Music should not be a way of passing time waiting for God to speak. It defeats the purpose of being silent before God.

However, there is a place for worship music in listening prayer. When you use it to achieve stillness before God and it helps you stay your mind on meditation, then by all means incorporate it into your quiet time with God. I have done it once or twice and found it really helpful in maintaining my awareness of God and listening to Him.

In the end do what works for you. That is the most important aspect of your listening prayer - experimenting and choosing the listening aids that work for you.

I have also updated the steps in listening prayer with a very important aspect of listening prayer I omitted. It is about Distractions and how to overcome them in your listening prayer.

Hope it helps. If you have any more questions concerning seeking God, do let me know. We are here to help each other grow in the Christian Faith.

1 Like

Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by torchwave: 11:12am On Aug 03, 2014
josh001: The place of fellowship, the place of the word, the place of prayer, the place of praise. These three are key in the place of fellowship.
fact #1: God is not man that He should lie, he has promised to reward those who diligently seek Him.Note that diligence may connote seemingly stupid perseverance and acidic faith.
fact #2: Seek more of the comforter, the holy spirit. It is good to want to see God with face, o what Glories unspeakable, something all Christians crave for but few are willing to pay the price including me. In your place of waiting however, why don't you commune with the holyspirit. I do want to believe that you are baptised with the holyspirit, and you are sure of the infilling. He us with us for a purpose and we need not go through much stress for the purpose to come good. With total faith, just ask the holyspirit to grant you audience. After that, take your Bible and tell the holyspirit to explain things to you. Have no doubt, it is expected, just as how you trust your switch to always bring light when it is on. From there, go deeper in fellowship with the holyspirit, He will help your prayer life and your place of the Word.
Very well said
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by misreal(m): 3:27pm On Aug 03, 2014
torchwave: Then keep seeking till you hear it. It may not come easily, and it may take time to hear it but you must be willing to pay the price of keeping your daily appointment with Him until you begin to dialogue or converse with Him.

Do you know this is my eight month of seeking His voice? So don't be discouraged if you don't hear anything at first or for a long time. God is very happy you're seeking Him and He will reward you in due time if you don't give up.

You can assume any posture that is comfortable with you. You could decide to sit or stand or lie or kneel if it is what works for you. There is no rules and regulations in listening to God. However, I've discovered that sitting seems to be the more acceptable posture. It makes you relax inwardly and outwardly so that you will be able to give your full concentration to the listening process. Standing is also good. In fact, in my opinion, it doubles your concentration and attention to the inward voice of God.

As regards worship music. I should let you know first that the idea of listening to God entails or requires the medium of silence. There are many Scripture verses on the essence of silence before God. Psalm 46:10 says, Be still and know that I am God. It is in that stillness, the silence of your heart and environment that God is able to talk to you.

Music should not be a way of passing time waiting for God to speak. It defeats the purpose of being silent before God.

However, there is a place for worship music in listening prayer. When you use it to achieve stillness before God and it helps you stay your mind on meditation, then by all means incorporate it into your quiet time with God. I have done it once or twice and found it really helpful in maintaining my awareness of God and listening to Him.

In the end do what works for you. That is the most important aspect of your listening prayer - experimenting and choosing the listening aids that work for you.

I have also updated the steps in listening prayer with a very important aspect of listening prayer I omitted. It is about Distractions and how to overcome them in your listening prayer.

Hope it helps. If you have any more questions concerning seeking God, do let me know. We are here to help each other grow in the Christian Faith.
I really don't know how to thank you enough.
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by torchwave: 7:40am On Aug 04, 2014
misreal: I really don't know how to thank you enough.
You really don't have to. I am glad I could be of some help to you.

1 Like

Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by Elijah78: 1:19pm On Aug 04, 2014
torchwave: Then keep seeking till you hear it. It may not come easily, and it may take time to hear it but you must be willing to pay the price of keeping your daily appointment with Him until you begin to dialogue or converse with Him.

This is my 5th month and i am still seeking. Your tips are really helpful to me.
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by Elijah78: 1:28pm On Aug 04, 2014
Busybody2:

When the Potter comes a-calling, what can the clay do ehn, lol.

What simplified things for me was in the old testament God has hundreds of names, but in the new testament He was known by only one name Abba Father...so as with my earthly Father i don't book any appointment to see my Heavenly Father, God, i don't need facebook, whatsapp, i don't need to book appointment with his PA ...same way i can saunter into my earthly Father's presence to ask what newspaper he is reading/ask if he heard such and such in the new... This is the same relationship i have with my heavenly Father God. I pull God's legs, I remind Him to expect the same naughtiness i show my Dad, my ascerbic tongue, try to bribe Him, try to run rings round Him, try to bargain or negotiate with Him...tease Him that shebi He is still my Heavenly Father who knows all my quirks and weakness, so He should chastise me gently if He has to...that i am human who likes to err on the side of caution occasionally so He should not expect 100% perfection from me, that punishment exists cos of foreknowledge of sin...etc

I guess this approach works because i wasn't born into a Christian home so didn't have to follow any protocol or toe any rigid line of fellowshipping with God...so i could just be my brash, blunt self embarassed There are times i get woken up and have realised that once i go back to sleep, na dream/vision sure pass, so i would start doing stronghead with God that i am going to stay awake cos i don't want any...but God can be so patient...even if i succumb to just one minute sleep, that dream/vision will come by fire by force...

The irony though is that with stuffs pertaining to the Holy Spirit, I see him as a no-nonsense person, elewon mi l'oga, so if he asks me to jump, I quickly ask how high...i might later start mumbling under my breath how rigid he is and how if one vexes him now, he fit vex no show face again for 20 years cheesy So for me God, Jesus Christ, Holy Spirit, Angels are like family and i love being the little Sister cheesy cheesy cheesy

Thank you for sharing! this is very encouraging!
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by torchwave: 4:38pm On Aug 04, 2014
Elijah78:

This is my 5th month and i am still seeking. Your tips are really helpful to me.

Welcome back brother. It gives me great pleasure to know I'm not the only one on this journey. smiley

Glad you found them tips useful. I learned from those who have made their journey and found God. In essence, they are things I learned from those who learned from others before them...and it goes on like that.

I thank God for His grace on you to be consistent in seeking Him.

Indeed, someday, in the near future when conversation with God has become a daily affair, we shall look back on our journey and thank God we took the pain and made the necessary sacrifices to see the Face of God.
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by mployer(m): 5:19pm On Aug 04, 2014
Great thread.
Good job, torchwave and busybody

This is what we need in this section and not some endless argument.

4 Likes

Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by Elijah78: 6:15am On Aug 05, 2014
At what point do i need to fast brethren?
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by Elijah78: 6:19am On Aug 05, 2014
ayoku777: I understand you too well, brother. I know what it means to have an insatiable hunger for an uncommon intimacy with God. It makes you tarry and tarry and beseech and beseech.

You feel tired but you've reached a point where giving up is now worse than death.

Other christians look at you like a fanatic, or even call you proud and presumptuous to ever think that kind of intimacy can be possible.

It gets to a point where your only encouragement is the word of God and the inner witness of the Spirit nudging you on. But you know what God has shown you and you are ready to contend till you possess.

Be encouraged!

What will be rewarding must first be demanding.

Pain is the test of passion, and perseverance is the proof.

Endurance is the proof of esteem, what you esteem you endure for.

Discipline is training your soul to tolerate travail. It is doing something hard until its not.

Thank you! ''You feel tired but you've reached a point where giving up is now worse than death''. You encourage me.
I thought i was out of my mind to think so.
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by Elijah78: 6:27am On Aug 05, 2014
misreal: hmmmm..I really want more of God but don't knew we're to start frm

Dear, i was in the same shoe like you until i came across some articles in the net the encouraged me to start the journey and how to start it. God being so faithful, i came across torchwave's thread that made me to know i was not the only one in pursuit for God. i was encouraged by the experiences shared on this thread, that is why i have not given up despite the seeming quietness of God. I know that one day He will response in a way that will prove He has been listening to me all these 4 months of seeking Him.

I advice you to read these short articles, and others on that website. Thanks

http://www.voiceofonecrying.com/intimacy_with_god_and_eternal_li.htm

http://www.voiceofonecrying.com/The_Desert_Experience.htm
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by torchwave: 8:40am On Aug 05, 2014
mployer: Great thread.
Good job, torchwave and busybody

This is what we need in this section and not some endless argument.
thanks.

If there is one thing I will never do in my life, it is to argue with skeptics that God talks to His children individually and specifically concerning any issue of life if they are willing to listen for His voice. That is a no no.

I learnt from my big mistake of engaging in such kinds of argument in the past that I have no power to convince anybody of the reality and possibility of dialogue with God, so why should I even try?

1 Like

Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by torchwave: 9:02am On Aug 05, 2014
Elijah78: At what point do i need to fast brethren?
I am no authority on fasting but I will suggest you fast when you are led to do it.

In my case, since I began searching for God, I make sure I never eat much during the day and nothing, or very little at most, at night so as not to be weighed down whenever I wake to pray. I always go to bed hungry or partly satisfied because then my flesh is subdued and my spirit becomes alive to receive from God. That is how I go about taming my flesh which is akin to fasting.

It is real difficult, more difficult than fasting because it is now my way of life and it works wonderfully.

However, if the fasting you have in mind is for another purpose, then embark on it if your heart tells you to do so.

Note: Fasting does not change God; it makes your spirit rise above your flesh so that you can pray effectively and be able to receive fresh revelation from God for your life since your spirit is in the driver's seat and God communicates with the spirit.
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by Elijah78: 9:59am On Aug 05, 2014
torchwave: I am no authority on fasting but I will suggest you fast when you are led to do it.

In my case, since I began searching for God, I make sure I never eat much during the day and nothing, or very little at most, at night so as not to be weighed down whenever I wake to pray. I always go to bed hungry or partly satisfied because then my flesh is subdued and my spirit becomes alive to receive from God. That is how I go about taming my flesh which is akin to fasting.

It is real difficult, more difficult than fasting because it is now my way of life and it works wonderfully.

However, if the fasting you have in mind is for another purpose, then embark on it if your heart tells you to do so.

Note: Fasting does not change God; it makes your spirit rise above your flesh so that you can pray effectively and be able to receive fresh revelation from God for your life since your spirit is in the driver's seat and God communicates with the spirit.

Thank you very much. Not fasting for a particular purpose, Just my seeking Him. But now i get the idea from your experience.
The truth is when i eat, i really feel my flesh subdues my spirit. I will try the eating light because i am some one who really loves food.
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by torchwave: 6:27pm On Aug 05, 2014
You're welcome bro. smiley
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by Nobody: 10:51pm On Aug 10, 2014
Lord helpme abide in u as ur word says in john 15 vs 7.. Of a day or two passes without seeking ur presence then there is a problem. U said unto me in psalms 27 vs 8 that i should seek ur face and live.. Have mercy and let ur presence be with me... I foresaw the Lord always before my face for He is at my right hand that i should not be moved.. (acts 2 vs 25)
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by Elijah78: 9:11am On Aug 12, 2014
I like this simple translation and wish to share for edification. It is about the ''Lords Prayer"". It enlightens my understanding. To know about this translation visit: http://www.voiceofonecrying.com/Personal.htm

Matthew 6:5-15

Verse 5. When you pray, don’t be religious about it. Don’t recite long, flowery prayers in public, where everyone can hear. When you do that, who are you really talking to?

Verse 6. If you’re going to talk to God, go to a quiet, private place and just talk to Him. And even though you can’t see Him, He sees you. And He’ll honor your personal, heart-felt conversation by responding to you in ways that confirm that He heard you.

Verse 7. Just try to be yourself. There’s something false and impersonal about reciting the same, old, tired, worn-out formulas. Remember, the Father responds to sincerity, not the length of the prayer.

Verse 8. So don’t be like those who have no relationship with a real God, Who lives and sees and hears. They repeat the same words over and over again to lifeless images that can’t respond. Your Father is much different than that. He knows what you need, even before you ask.

How to Have a Private Personal Conversation with The Father and What to Talk About When You are in His Presence

Verse 9. So, when you talk to God, this is how you should talk to Him and what you should talk about. Talk to your Father in Heaven like you would talk to your earthly father, with affection and respect. Only acknowledge that He deserves an honor and respect greater than any man.

Verse 10. Then affirm to Him again that you want His Kingdom revealed in your life. And tell Him that you only want what He wants, so His will can be seen here on the earth just like it is in His Heavenly domain.

Verse 11. Ask Him to give you just what you need for today.

Verse 12. And ask Him to forgive you of your faults and mistakes and the offenses they’ve caused. Then tell Him you understand that His forgiveness is determined by your own willingness to forgive those who have offended you.

Verse 13. And finally, ask Him to protect you from yourself and from all the evil that surrounds you in the world.

Verses 14, 15. And remember if you’re willing to forgive others, then your Heavenly Father will forgive you. But, if you’re not willing to forgive others, neither will your Heavenly Father be willing to forgive you.

http://www.voiceofonecrying.com/model_prayer%201.htm

1 Like

Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by torchwave: 9:38am On Aug 12, 2014
@ Prophetudeme, amen to that. God will see us through.

WEEKLY UPDATE

I may be surrounded by brothers, sisters, friends, relatives, and total strangers, I may be in constant company of one or the other, I may find myself among a large or small crowd of people with similar or different goals and beliefs, I may even lead a multitude of people like Moses, however, I have discovered since beginning this journey that seeking God makes you walk alone in your thoughts, dreams, and actions.

I have felt acute loneliness despite being in the company of friends and loved ones. I still do. The path to friendship with God is a lonely, scarce-of-people, rocky, wilderness that reminds me gold is found in the most unlikely places - and Who I seek is far more precious than all the gold and precious stones the universe can ever produce...but this loneliness....

It is one reason among many people shy from seeking God. Only those whose hearts are burning, determined to know God will walk the lonely road and befriend it, the being or living apart from the rest of the crowd, if it is the only path they must take to see the Face of God.

3 Likes

Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by SilentPsalmist: 12:39am On Aug 17, 2014
Hey brethren.
I'm encouraged to see this thread. I'm new. Its been 7 months for me. I'm still seeking. Its been discouraging lately but I won't give.

Lead me to the desert Lord
And teach me how to thirst
That I may not be quenched
Till I follow Thee in herst

Oh let me be the bush, My Lord
Whose flame always remains
The one that You've consumed
Yet who never fades away

Your hand is laid upon me
Before and behind
I'll wrestle with Thee ever
Until your face I find

I will not be quenched
Nor will be satisfied
Till your glory pass before me
And my face, like Moses', shines

So I'll ascend Thy mountain
On the rock of Christ I'll stand
I'll plead before You boldly
I'll not leave with empty hand

3 Likes

Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by Johnnoo(m): 2:09am On Aug 17, 2014
Thank God I found this thread!!!
Men & Brethren greetings to you all...

2 Likes

Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by Nobody: 2:55am On Aug 17, 2014
You are not Christ like....a true christian would not ask "Unbelievers" to keep out!

1 Like

Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by GodMode: 3:37am On Aug 17, 2014
There is no god... Only fools believe in something they cannot see, hear or feel.
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by cushycute(f): 4:11am On Aug 17, 2014
Am happy to find like minds here. Av always crave for God , but not always surE of how to go about it. Thanks guys for the advices.

I wanna ask; when I read my bible, sometimes do drop in my spirit, can I say its d holy spirit that talks to me?
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by iceberylin(m): 5:10am On Aug 17, 2014
if its not jehovahs witnessis teachings am out :p

1 Like

Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by Atk1nson(m): 6:10am On Aug 17, 2014
torchwave: Hi Elijah. Very glad to see you bro. Eagerly awaiting your contribution. smiley
pls can u tell me what it took to start this journey and what it takes to sustain it. My email is rakintade@gmail.com, thanks and God bless
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by crusader01(m): 7:14am On Aug 17, 2014
This is the right place to be. I need help seeking the face of God because I feel left alone after my sinful past.
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by Christmygoal(m): 7:35am On Aug 17, 2014
What a Happy man I am!!!finding like-minded christians online is amazing. My thirst to walk with God is unquenchable. Sometimes I feel as if I'm been too demanding. I've for sometimes now assigned my mind to wander and trail only in christ, my beloved brethrens, its not been easy.........I call it "the practice of God's presence" this title became my watch goal everyday. Where ever I go I'm always aware that Christ is there right with me. Please brethren I'm not saying this to make myself look like a righteous man but I want us to understand something.......1. It is possible to live a sin free life 2.Its possible to enjoy incredible relationship with God. 3. It is possible to hear God speak to you. 4. It is possible to commune/discuss with God (to speak to him and he speak back to you). It may be demanding but surely it is! My desire came when I read Num 12:6-8. Where God told Miriam and Aaron that he speaks to his prophets through dreams and visions but with Moses he speaks with face to face(my paraphrase),,,,,,,,then Job 33:15, Deut 29:29......unfortunately I began praying @night and asking God to speak to me in my dreams! Although I've been a dreamer from childhood but this didn't work! I got tired and started asking 4 God to show me himself like he did to Moses, jacob,abraham,isaac daniel etc. Until when I read paul in phil 3:10.....that was when I started seeking his face. Though its been tough but His grace hasn't failed! I do enjoy uninterrupted fellowship with him and also hear him deliver small still voice to me.....somehow inaudible and often 'uncompelling' . Its been wonderful........may He give us the grace that we may speak with him face to face like Moses in Jesus name.

4 Likes

Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by pappyrose(f): 8:30am On Aug 17, 2014
Jeremiah 29:
12 "When you call on me, when you come and pray to me, I'll listen. 13-14 "When you come looking for me, you'll find me. "Yes, when you get serious about finding me and want it more than anything else, I'll make sure you won't be disappointed." GOD's Decree. "I'll turn things around for you.

When I discovered this scripture, I understood that going deep with God is serious business.

2 Likes

Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by pappyrose(f): 8:34am On Aug 17, 2014
Christmygoal: What a Happy man I am!!!finding like-minded christians online is amazing. My thirst to walk with God is unquenchable. Sometimes I feel as if I'm been too demanding. I've for sometimes now assigned my mind to wander and trail only in christ, my beloved brethrens, its not been easy.........I call it "the practice of God's presence" this title became my watch goal everyday. Where ever I go I'm always aware that Christ is there right with me. Please brethren I'm not saying this to make myself look like a righteous man but I want us to understand something.......1. It is possible to live a sin free life 2.Its possible to enjoy incredible relationship with God. 3. It is possible to hear God speak to you. 4. It is possible to commune/discuss with God (to speak to him and he speak back to you). It may be demanding but surely it is! My desire came when I read Num 12:6-8. Where God told Miriam and Aaron that he speaks to his prophets through dreams and visions but with Moses he speaks with face to face(my paraphrase),,,,,,,,then Job 33:15, Deut 29:29......unfortunately I began praying @night and asking God to speak to me in my dreams! Although I've been a dreamer from childhood but this didn't work! I got tired and started asking 4 God to show me himself like he did to Moses, jacob,abraham,isaac daniel etc. Until when I read paul in phil 3:10.....that was when I started seeking his face. Though its been tough but His grace hasn't failed! I do enjoy uninterrupted fellowship with him and also hear him deliver small still voice to me.....somehow inaudible and often 'uncompelling' . Its been wonderful........may He give us the grace that we may speak with him face to face like Moses in Jesus name.

Amen
I agree with u on this. The experience is completely supernatural. More real than reality itself.
Re: Seeking The Face Of God - The Journey by chibwike(m): 8:46am On Aug 17, 2014
God, God, God what more can i say. In my quest to seek God, i rise and fall only to rise again and still fall again..one important i know is that every being one earth is obliged to seek for his face..we ve got little or no option..coz he owns us..i mean..he is the air we breath for Gods sake.

God has been so merciful and faithful to me..to the extent that sometimes i wonder why he loves me that much..

My dad is late...so i decided to make God my heavenly and earthly father...i talk to him as my Lord, my God and my Daddy,. i try my best not to offend him...coz he has neva offended me before..my dear friends let me say this to our hearing..God is not a wicked God, he is merciful God that loves his children dearly.

Seeking his face for me has not been quite easy, buh its worth it..God bless the owner of this thread.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

God Delivered My Sister From The Spirit Of Insanity: My Testimony / How I Listen To The Audio Bible (my Advice) / Apostle Suleman Arrives New Jersey For "Help From Above" (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.