Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,653 members, 7,820,267 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:21 PM

The People Voted Their Stomach -blues For An Arrested Renaissance, Niyi Osundare - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The People Voted Their Stomach -blues For An Arrested Renaissance, Niyi Osundare (1069 Views)

Just Because Benue People Voted David Mark Fulani Have murder 300 Today in Agatu / Prof. Niyi Osundare: “Blues For The New Senate King” / Jonathan Made Corruption Attractive, Says Niyi Osundare (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The People Voted Their Stomach -blues For An Arrested Renaissance, Niyi Osundare by oluwakorrect(m): 4:11pm On Jul 01, 2014
A-RICE, oh compatriots
Your stomach’s call obey
Say, A-RICE, oh compatriots
Your stomach’s call obey
Hold out your bowls for the golden grains
Pawn your pride without delay

Grab your bribe and dance in the street
To the Riceman’s drum and venal command
Yes, grab your bribe and dance in the streets
To the Riceman’s drum and venal command
Bend your back for his heavy ride
Your golden rice is your sole demand

The Riceman is here, your lord and saviour
Pawn your vote for his golden gift
Say, the Riceman is here, your lord and saviour
Pawn your vote for his golden gift
Eat your rice and belch like a bull
And give your guts the forgetful lift

The passage down the gullet
Is the fastest road to heaven
Yes, the passage down the gullet
Is the fastest road to heaven
To those held hostage by their shameless guts
There is no nirvana like the seething toilet

The people voted their stomach
And the dunghill usurped their future
Alas, the people voted their stomach
The dunghill embraced their future
The wounds from this blind affair
Defy the magic of the cleverest suture

II

Cunning Riceman with bags
Full of tricks and daggers
Say, cunning Riceman with bags
Full of tricks and daggers
His first coming left us all
In ashes and fluttering rags

Brazen murders, strange disappearances:
His hands drip with unexpiated crimes
Yes, brazen murders, strange disappearances
His hands drip with unexpiated crimes
But he has an arsenal of cash and rice
Both so vital in these degenerate times

Rabble-rousing, clowning, scheming
Frightful intimations of Idi Amin’s pedigree
Yes, rabble-rousing, clowning, scheming
Frightful intimations of Idi Amin’s pedigree
Yesterday’s fruits still stir the leaves
On History’s bewildering tree

Here, once again,
The wild histrionics of a deadly actor
Say, here, once, again,
The wild histrionics of a deadly actor
Mindless applause from a captive audience
Chloroformed puppets of a wily victor

III

They sold their birth right
For a kongo* of rice
Alas, they sold their birth right
For a kongo of rice
This mindless commerce
Will come at a heavy price

Erstwhile Knowledge Fountain
Overgrown with Ignorance’s malignant weeds
Alas, erstwhile Knowledge Fountain
Overgrown with Ignorance’s malignant weeds
The Book, once robust, resurgent,
Has been voted out of our daily needs

They sold us a lemon; we emptied
Our bank of virtues to pay the price
Alas, they sold us a lemon; we emptied
Our bank of virtues to pay the price
The will powerful guns could not subdue
Now lies suborned by a spoonful of rice

Poverty so desperate, so demeaning,
It consumed our pride, our primal worth
Yes, Poverty, so desperate, so demeaning,
It consumed our pride, our primal worth
The pride we once extolled is vanishing fast
From the face of our stunned, corrupted earth

*Kongo: a small tin, plastic, or calabash container used for measuring peas and grains in market sales.

IV

Too good for us, far too advanced
The reigning King is too high above our rot
Say, too good for us, far too advanced
The reigning King is too high above our rot
Too much bound to Excellence and Honour
And a public garment without a blot

He expends state funds on the road to the Future
He never paves the way to our bottomless stomach
Yes, he expends state funds on the road to the Future
He never paves the way to our bottomless stomach
Whoever doesn’t know in the eating world
That the gut is a grand, demanding monarch

We asked for rice, he gave us Reason
We asked for booty, he gave us the Book
Say, we asked for rice, he gave Reason
We asked for booty, he gave us a book
So we trooped all out to cast our lot
For the side of the dark and loaded crook

The Damaged Good has riced its way
To the top of the brand
Alas, the Damaged Good has riced its way
Right to the top of the brand
Our feet stand askew
On our dark and traitored land

Come again soon, oh brief Renaissance
This interlude forebodes a trembling twilight
I say, come again, brief Renaissance
This interlude forebodes a trembling twilight
Sow rainbow stars in our darkening sky
Divine another Dawn, new and bright

Prof. Niyi Osundare
Re: The People Voted Their Stomach -blues For An Arrested Renaissance, Niyi Osundare by moyinoluwabun(m): 4:28pm On Jul 01, 2014
So? What's dis epistle all about?

1 Like

Re: The People Voted Their Stomach -blues For An Arrested Renaissance, Niyi Osundare by busuyem: 4:32pm On Jul 01, 2014
Hope this has nothing to do with Ekiti people?
Re: The People Voted Their Stomach -blues For An Arrested Renaissance, Niyi Osundare by oluwakorrect(m): 10:07pm On Jul 04, 2014
moyinoluwabun: So? What's dis epistle all about?
That people didnt consider dia future but the immediate gratifications of unnecessary lucre
Re: The People Voted Their Stomach -blues For An Arrested Renaissance, Niyi Osundare by oluwakorrect(m): 10:10pm On Jul 04, 2014
busuyem: Hope this has nothing to do with Ekiti people?
U did guess right... Its all abt them. Prof made a great write up abt d pple who prioritise stomach infrastructure than basic amenities
Re: The People Voted Their Stomach -blues For An Arrested Renaissance, Niyi Osundare by Nobody: 10:21pm On Jul 04, 2014
oluwakorrect:
U did guess right... Its all abt them. Prof made a great write up abt d pple who prioritise stomach imfrastructure than basic amenities
Was it Fayose that was giving voters 5k and 2k @ the polling booths? Abeg make I hear word joor

1 Like

Re: The People Voted Their Stomach -blues For An Arrested Renaissance, Niyi Osundare by Nobody: 10:44pm On Jul 04, 2014
BS. Fayemi is a bad governor. Tinubu is a despot the people are tired of. All this long epistle na for nothing.

1 Like

Re: The People Voted Their Stomach -blues For An Arrested Renaissance, Niyi Osundare by gsainttrinity(m): 11:02pm On Jul 04, 2014
moyinoluwabun: So? What's dis epistle all about?

the Ekiti people are a disappointment to democracy

1 Like

Re: The People Voted Their Stomach -blues For An Arrested Renaissance, Niyi Osundare by Olastep(m): 11:36pm On Jul 04, 2014
To be honest, and impartial. I'll say Fayemi/APC lost in Ekiti state because they are bound to lose. My brother, forget the media propaganda and unskilled journalism out on the internet. I live in Ekiti and its disappointing though not surprising that some folks would abuse the intelligence of ekitis.

The winner, Fayose/PDP may not be the best but they are right. We voted for you because we believed in you than the masquerades. You meant development and there is fair play. This life is just toooo short for a crook in the name of change to deceive us.

I hope and pray such plays out in Osun state.

I believe its for our good. Trust me.

No to APC. NO! Not in this world. Change your name 81 times, it won't change anything.

All we want is true democracy and only for the people.

God Bless Ekiti State
God Bless Osun State
God Bless Nigeria

---Olastep

1 Like

Re: The People Voted Their Stomach -blues For An Arrested Renaissance, Niyi Osundare by MisterLongman(m): 11:41pm On Jul 04, 2014
Rice is now the most popular food commodity in Naija thanks to Ekiti state election......

1 Like

Re: The People Voted Their Stomach -blues For An Arrested Renaissance, Niyi Osundare by oluwakorrect(m): 7:37am On Jul 05, 2014
MisterLongman: Rice is now the most popular food commodity in Naija thanks to Ekiti state election......
Looooooool
Re: The People Voted Their Stomach -blues For An Arrested Renaissance, Niyi Osundare by oluwakorrect(m): 7:41am On Jul 05, 2014
Olastep: To be honest, and impartial. I'll say Fayemi/APC lost in Ekiti state because they are bound to lose. My brother, forget the media propaganda and unskilled journalism out on the internet. I live in Ekiti and its disappointing though not surprising that some folks would abuse the intelligence of ekitis.

The winner, Fayose/PDP may not be the best but they are right. We voted for you because we believed in you than the masquerades. You meant development and there is fair play. This life is just toooo short for a crook in the name of change to deceive us.

I hope and pray such plays out in Osun state.

I believe its for our good. Trust me.

No to APC. NO! Not in this world. Change your name 81 times, it won't change anything.

All we want is true democracy and only for the people.

God Bless Ekiti State
God Bless Osun State
God Bless Nigeria

---Olastep
the landslide victory was so shockin... Cant wait to see d drama that wil unfold durin d forth comin Osun's guber election. Senator Omisore a.k.a Senetor Alagbado has been paradin himself as d grassroot man. Just wonderin d length our fake politicians cud go to satisfy dia greed n desires.
Re: The People Voted Their Stomach -blues For An Arrested Renaissance, Niyi Osundare by oluwakorrect(m): 7:51am On Jul 05, 2014
chukwudi44:
Was it Fayose that was giving voters 5k and 2k @ the polling booths? Abeg make I hear word joor
Bros, were u paid to vote too?
Re: The People Voted Their Stomach -blues For An Arrested Renaissance, Niyi Osundare by oluwakorrect(m): 7:55am On Jul 05, 2014
jerseyboy: BS. Fayemi is a bad governor. Tinubu is a despot the people are tired of. All this long epistle na for nothing.
I wont dispute ur view but Fayemi's contribution to the development of Ekiti is evident... Nobody is holy. Corruption runs in d blood stream of every Nigerian as long as u breathe n eat. We are all kettle n sudnt call the pot black!
Re: The People Voted Their Stomach -blues For An Arrested Renaissance, Niyi Osundare by oluwakorrect(m): 7:57am On Jul 05, 2014
gsaint trinity:

the Ekiti people are a disappointment to democracy
Its really an eyesore...
Re: The People Voted Their Stomach -blues For An Arrested Renaissance, Niyi Osundare by juman(m): 10:01am On Jul 05, 2014
Good governance should be aimed to improve the populace living condition.

But any so-called good governance that failed to positively impact the lifes of the populace is faulty.

2 Likes

Re: The People Voted Their Stomach -blues For An Arrested Renaissance, Niyi Osundare by oluwakorrect(m): 11:30am On Jul 05, 2014
juman: Good governance should be aimed to improve the populace living condition.

But any so-called good governance that failed to positively impact the lifes of the populace is faulty.
U really on point bro

(1) (Reply)

Fashola Should Stop Running His Mouth, He’s A Product Of God- Fatherism–ayo Fayo / How PDP Sell The Future Of South West People For A Porridge: / How Ali Modu Sheriff Sponsored Boko Haram- Femi Falana

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.