Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,634 members, 7,809,386 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:35 AM

Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). (64956 Views)

Eheneden Erediauwa To Be Crowned Oba Of Benin / "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake / Olori Sekinat-Elegushi Wife Of Oba Of Ikate Land [photos] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by OrlandoOwoh(m): 6:02pm On Jul 01, 2014
For a long time now, there has been the argument over the true rest place of the oba (kings) of Benin. While some, mostly of Yoruba descent believe the oba's decapitated heads are buried in Ile-Ife, hence the phrase, "orun oba Ado"; those of Benin descent believe their oba are buried in Benin.
I came across this two shrines in Gbelenkan Street, Ile-Ife recently with the inscription, "Orun Oba Ado" meaning the heaven of the kings of Ado (Benin). The one to the right when coming from Oduduwa College has the drawing of the head of a Benin oba with the inscription, owhviwo (male). The one opposite it that of the female.

12 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Gboliwe: 6:14pm On Jul 01, 2014
This should be in culture and should make a very healthy discuss. BTW where is Physics PHD/MHD? That brother carries benin culture like odumchi carries Aro culture

6 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by eluquenson(m): 6:18pm On Jul 01, 2014
Invariably, the Benins are embedded in yoruba land, they are just a chip off the old block.

2 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Redoil: 6:25pm On Jul 01, 2014
Land grabbers at it again. You people will never learn that the benin kings are always burried in benin. You saw a shirine and so what..

19 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Nobody: 6:29pm On Jul 01, 2014
Lmao...the biggest myth ever busted!!! grin

Orlando_Owoh, I beg you take the topic to the culture section, so it can make frontpage.

Hopefully, Bini folks would accept this reality. grin

I'll save the thread and picture in my archives. cool

5 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by ChristyG(f): 6:51pm On Jul 01, 2014
Redoil: Land grabbers at it again. You people will never learn that the benin kings are always burried in benin. You saw a shirine and so what..
oh pls,go and learn history before typing shit.their kings used to be buried in ile ife before it was changed,so he is not wrong.mumu like u

28 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by OrlandoOwoh(m): 6:55pm On Jul 01, 2014
Redoil: Land grabbers at it again. You people will never learn that the benin kings are always burried in benin. You saw a shirine and so what..
Where is your evidence to dispute my picture evidence?

3 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Gboliwe: 7:22pm On Jul 01, 2014
Orlando Owoh:
Where is the second shrine?
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Redoil: 8:27pm On Jul 01, 2014
I love females so much that i hate insulting them. For the nonesense you have pour down i will reserve my insult for any of ur numerous boyfriends or bedmate whenever i meet them on line
Christy G: oh pls,go and learn history before typing shit.their kings used to be buried in ile ife before it was changed,so he is not wrong.mumu like u

37 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Redoil: 8:30pm On Jul 01, 2014
Orlando Owoh:
which pissure? I have my prove from oral tradition

3 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Arosa(m): 8:33pm On Jul 01, 2014
Do yorubas call Binis Ado?

2 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Nobody: 8:51pm On Jul 01, 2014
i really don't know much,as a benin boy,about the edo culture n tradition especially as it relates to other cultures n traditions,the yoruba's in particular..have heard of n read some myths n legends n bit of history about the origins of the benins n their obas having a thing or two to do with oduduwa (not as though i know who da hell oduduwa is,ya know) who i believ is d dada of the yorubas. The fact that both cultures share lotsa some words in common lends credence to that relationship..but the arguement that dead obas of benin are buried at ile-ife,out of oredo,is something am only knowing about for the first time n i wish the op wud expatiate on that more comprehensively..
I shud've known Ado and Edo are the same!but now i do..
Oba gha tò'kpérè,ísê..

8 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Malawian(m): 9:06pm On Jul 01, 2014
dont mind them. i am sure it was ilungunboy or eggy that smoked weed and went ahead to display their art skills.

6 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by LoveDecay(m): 9:11pm On Jul 01, 2014
To mediocre look like the final resting place of the Oba Benin city and the paramount ruler of Edo land.

Ever been to the palace, in Benin city . cool

Na gode mallam but, this is undecided

3 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Nobody: 9:18pm On Jul 01, 2014
Lies and more lies!

What have the Ancient Empire got to do with your 'Ado'?

The Ubini Kingdom was named Edo when a certain Oba whose half brother -the king, as at then wanted dead, but was saved by Edo - a slave to one of the Ubini prominent cheifs who housed the Prince in his well in pretence of safe-guarding him whilst he went to the Oba to announce his capture, rescued him from his master's craftiness.
As fate 'd have it, Edo overhead the plots to eliminate him, and had him out.

...From thenceforth the word 'Edo' can be dated and not your ado.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by OrlandoOwoh(m): 9:36pm On Jul 01, 2014
According to Prof. I. A. Akinjogbin and Prof. E. A. Ayandele in "Yorubaland Up To 1800" in Groundwork of Nigerian History, edited by Obaro Ikimi, page 133, " . . . a living oba of Benin was prohibited from seeing Ile-Ife and why only his corpe (some say only his head) was brought back to Ife to be buried a place still called Orun Oba Ado (the heaven of the kings of Benin) in Ile-Ife.
"The present Oba continue to observe this eewo. In 1937, during an Oba's conference (pelupelu) held at Ife, he refused to stay in Ile-Ife. Instead he remained in Modakeke, outside the Ife wall for the duration of the conference."

30 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by OrlandoOwoh(m): 9:44pm On Jul 01, 2014
"Whenever a Benin prince brought the remains of his predecessor to Ife, he also sought sanction from Ife for his own succession. The sanction would appear to be given by emissaries sent out from to accompany those of Benin, and bearing whatever it was that conveyed the approval. This traditional was re-enacted in 1916, when Aguobasimi became the Oba of Benin as Eweka II after the death of the deposed Ovonramwen." - Akinjogbin and Ayandele.

9 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by dontjealousme: 9:48pm On Jul 01, 2014
Oba of Benin is the Oba of all yoruba Oba. Benins rule over yoruba land. Yorubas are slaves to Benin.

45 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by OrlandoOwoh(m): 9:52pm On Jul 01, 2014
dontjealousme: Oba of Benin is the Oba of all yoruba Oba. Benins rule over yoruba land. Yorubas are slaves to Benin.
Give us proof.

22 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by dontjealousme: 9:56pm On Jul 01, 2014
"ile ibenu" wat does that mean? A proper ile ife man would know.

Only run away slaves from Benin will refer to their encampment as such on route to ile ife. Yoruba Race are run away slaves from Benin.

13 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by ManTiger(m): 10:10pm On Jul 01, 2014
dontjealousme: Oba of Benin is the Oba of all yoruba Oba. Benins rule over yoruba land. Yorubas are slaves to Benin.
[size=20pt]Stop displaying the level of your foolishness...
Go back to history, search,read and enlighten your stewpid self.

...Benin and the yorubas most especially the Oyo's are from the same descendant. [/size]
cheesy

31 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Arosa(m): 10:22pm On Jul 01, 2014
So Ado Ekiti was part of the then Benin empire right?
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Mogidi: 10:23pm On Jul 01, 2014
How can an Oba be buried in that place you showed in your picture?

18 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Nobody: 10:58pm On Jul 01, 2014
Orlando Owoh: "Whenever a Benin prince brought the remains of his predecessor to Ife, he also sought sanction from Ife for his own succession. The sanction would appear to be given by emissaries sent out from to accompany those of Benin, and bearing whatever it was that conveyed the approval. This traditional was re-enacted in 1916, when Aguobasimi became the Oba of Benin as Eweka II after the death of the deposed Ovonramwen." - Akinjogbin and Ayandele.
now this is some pretty interesting history..but something tells me something happened that made da benin obas to steer clear of ile-ife or were banned frm 'ife..what cud possibly be d reason behind that? From d gods or what?
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by musiwa112: 3:52am On Jul 02, 2014
[size=18pt] it is not correct, it is not ile ife...

it means it is a secret. that they cant tell you.

i know so, because my great great grand father was the emperor(President) of western nigeria,
my great grand father was the emperor(President) of western nigeria
my grand father was the emperor(President) of western nigeria
it is reserve by international law to my family.

so when you people tell lies. i just listen.

President of Western Nigeria
President Musiwa
His Royal Highness of Western Nigeria

independent day of western nigeria 15th november 1957

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdzZ1Dfl-Dg
[/size]

10 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by OrlandoOwoh(m): 5:13am On Jul 02, 2014
Mogidi: How can an Oba be buried in that place you showed in your picture?
Where did you read that an oba is buried there? That is only shrine. The exact place where they are buried is known as Orun Oba Ado.
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by justi4jesu(f): 7:26am On Jul 02, 2014
gbege smiley

Benin city is just too dirty for my liking undecided undecided undecided lipsrsealed

6 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by dridowu: 7:27am On Jul 02, 2014
musiwa112: that is wrong.. for the burial.. it is fake.. they will never bury the oba of benin this way.. it is fake..

my great grand father was the emperor of western nigeria... akanbi, the father of ooni of ile ife is the child of the third son.

lagos seaport was built under my great grand father... so is the railway line from lagos to jebba.. so the correct answer is not ile ife.. but i am not allowed to tell you online.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/875644_Lagos1_jpgb3560c02f20dd4f83d7da4a3addae20f
this thread is not about your greatgreatgreatgrandgrandgrandfatherfatherfather, this thread is about Oba of Benin. Pls i used God name beg you, dont use my name as your next topic like the way you did last time.

6 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Nobody: 7:27am On Jul 02, 2014
I was here...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Excited Masquerade Poses With Catholic Priest After Meeting Him On The Road.PICS / Throwback Photo Of Ooni Of Ife With The Ladies / Naomi Oluwaseyi, Ooni’s Wife, Prophesied Her Reign As Queen Over A Year Ago?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.