Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,550 members, 7,812,761 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:48 PM

Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). (65006 Views)

Eheneden Erediauwa To Be Crowned Oba Of Benin / "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake / Olori Sekinat-Elegushi Wife Of Oba Of Ikate Land [photos] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by politicalpastor: 8:56pm On Jul 02, 2014
Christy G: oh pls,go and learn history before typing shit.their kings used to be buried in ile ife before it was changed,so he is not wrong.mumu like u

You are so foolish , thank God you are not an history lecturer, it could have be a disaster to the children or students under you.
OBA OF BINIs has never be buried anywhere else , it was only oba ovoranmwen that was buried in the present day calabar
by the British in a controversial circumstances. ! Other than that all bini kings are buried in benin kingdom.
Pls go back and take history.
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by brownlord: 9:25pm On Jul 02, 2014
Rexxie:
i learnt that also obtains in the benin kingdom,that the oba of benin mustsnt see his 1st son..legend has it that the current oba of benin got so old his mother had to trick oba Akenzua to the palace court to behold something important only to get there to his son..learnt he got angry,turned back and placed a curse on her and stormed into his charmber never to be seen again...well,i dont know the authenticity of that but i know the current oba was old in years b4 ascending the throne just like prince charlse is getting old while da queen is still frolicking..

Never heard of this, but it's true the King does not see the heir to the throne and as such is often used as parable. Oba e guoba dia, meaning a king is no slave to a king. But the present Oba broke the jinx in 2012.

1 Like

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by brownlord: 9:26pm On Jul 02, 2014
Sweetlemon: One question please.

Why the hell are Yorubas and Igbos so obsessed with claiming SS tribes no matter how much we shout and scream that we are NOT and will NEVER be Yorubas/Igbos?

Because there is something synonymous with the two tribes.

They are both chest beaters and cowards.

1 Like

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by brownlord: 9:37pm On Jul 02, 2014
shymexx:

[s]Stop telling porkies - a large chunk of Bini religion came from Yoruba. Ifa, Olokun, Ogun etc.

A lot of Bini arts also came from Yoruba. There are Ife, Owo, and Ijebu influences on Benin arts - even most Benin historians can't deny this.[/s]

Trash from the Ijebu boy who never step foot or ever been to his place, or has probably lost touch with his people back home, stop believing what your half bake historian told you about yoruba.

A man was banished and was found somewhere instead of the lazy and foolish people to trace his origin before making him King, they believe he descended from heaven with hundreds of demons bla bla.

No wonder one man said, all yoruba Oba's are useless and fake. I believe him now because they don't know where they came from.

2 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by baby124: 9:42pm On Jul 02, 2014
brownlord:
Trash from the Ijebu boy who never step foot or ever been to his place, or has probably lost touch with his people back home, stop believing what your half bake historian told you about yoruba.
A man was banished and was found somewhere instead of the lazy and foolish people to trace his origin before making him King, they believe he descended from heaven with hundreds of demons bla bla.
No wonder one man said, all yoruba Oba's are useless and fake. I believe him now because they don't know where they came from.

What does Oba mean in Edo language. LOL. I know you are looking for a fight. But it will be funny to see you kill yourself over this one.
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Morgan567(m): 10:04pm On Jul 02, 2014
Hmmm, the arrogance of an average Benin Man always prevents him from learning about his history. The Benin kingdom shroud their ways in mystery till date, it still cannot Érase the fact that the Benin kingdom has Its history tied to the yorubas, study history Benin people, your ignorance and baseless pride is sickening. You cannot airbrush the yorubas out of your history....that being said, dis picture is just a shrine.
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by realtem(m): 10:11pm On Jul 02, 2014
dontjealousme: Oba of Benin is the Oba of all yoruba Oba. Benins rule over yoruba land. Yorubas are slaves to Benin.
ode, go carry shackles come put for my neck
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Morgan567(m): 10:19pm On Jul 02, 2014
Chao, I just noticed that edo guys in the house did not recourse to history, rather they choose to curse and swear. Benin guys, tell us your history, enough of the shakara and curses, Oya, open floor.

2 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by brownlord: 10:20pm On Jul 02, 2014
baby_123:

What does Oba mean in Edo language. LOL. I know you are looking for a fight. But it will be funny to see you kill yourself over this one.

Oh, Oba is yoruba word?
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by brownlord: 10:22pm On Jul 02, 2014
Morgan567: Chao, I just noticed that edo guys in the house did not recourse to history, rather they choose to curse and swear. Benin guys, tell us your history, enough of the shakara and curses, Oya, open floor.

Our history is that a man descended from heaven with 100 demons and c0ck in his hand, he is the first man to be created by God, yet he had children and married someone, Holy sh1t.

1 Like

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Nobody: 10:31pm On Jul 02, 2014
brownlord:

Are you sure you're not from Igbanke? Bini people are honourable folks and they're not as utterly dumb as you've always portrayed yourself on these sides

And if you're - the elders and custodians of Bini culture in Igodomigodo need to section you, and re-educate you about the Bini way. grin
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by baby124: 10:40pm On Jul 02, 2014
History give it that the Ugbode Olukumi speaking people migrated from Owo/Akure axis in the present Ondo state between 9th and 11th century AD to settle down in Benin during the reign of king Ogiso of Benin. It was this period in the history of the Benin kingdom, the most neglected of the wife of the Ogiso gave birth to the heir apparent to the throne. After the woman gave birth to the child, a male, the nobles consulted the oracle and said that the oracle told them that the child should be killed for peace to reign in Benin kingdom. At the end, the child was not killed as it was said that the child was too handsome to be killed, so a fowl was killed in his place.

According to Ochei, this was the reason the Ugbodu people left Benin. “They felt that if a crown prince could be ordered for execution just like that, they could do worse things to strangers in their midst. As a result, they left Benin and came to Ewohimi, an Ishan speaking community in Edo state. Due to intra-tribal wars, they later left the place to settle down in Ugbodu which is a shortened form of Ugbodumila means bush saved me in English language”.

This further shows evidence of both groups being aware of the existence of each other as far back as 9th and 11th century AD. Further strengthens my suspicion that Oduduwa was not a stranger. Neither did he go to a strange land. Also obvious that people back then were more suspicious of strangers.
http://www.nigerianobservernews.com/14012014/14012014/features/features2.html#.U7R7OrGqTCY
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by brownlord: 10:40pm On Jul 02, 2014
shymexx:

Are you sure you're not from Igbanke? Bini people are honourable folks and they're not as utterly dumb as you've always portrayed yourself on these sides

And if you're - the elders and custodians of Bini culture in Igodomigodo need to section you, and re-educate you about the Bini way. grin

Ijebu boy, do you also believe that a man descended from heaven with 100's of demons and is the first man in the world?

If you found something that is not your's and i declare mine is missing, is it not common sense that it belongs to me?
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by baby124: 10:43pm On Jul 02, 2014
brownlord:

Oh, Oba is yoruba word?

Humor me. It is a Bini word What does Bini even mean. Translate for me, i am waiting.
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Nobody: 10:43pm On Jul 02, 2014
brownlord:

Ijebu boy, do you also believe that a man descended from heaven with 100's of demons and is the first man in the world?

If you found something that is not your's and i declare mine is missing, is it not common sense that it belongs to me?

And where did the Ogisos descend from? - Jupiter? grin

Ever heard about legends and folklore? How come all the other ancient civilisations also had legends about fallen angels, annunaki etc.?
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by baby124: 10:47pm On Jul 02, 2014
shymexx:

Ever heard about legends and folklore? How come all the other ancient civilisations also had legends about fallen angels, annunaki etc.?

No one ever wants to admit that they broke away from a larger group and may in future be required to pay homage. LOL. Everyone wants to make sure history is as ambiguous as possible. So no group can get any ideas of ownership. Nigerian's have always been wiser and more cunning than we realize.

1 Like

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Xfactoria: 10:56pm On Jul 02, 2014
shymexx:

The bold had me laughing. I had a discussion with my pops a few weeks ago about the Sudan thing, and he was just laughing his ar.se off. Ijebu's came from Ife, but I believe the progenitors left before Oduduwa. Hence it seems the Ijebu crown isn't an Oduduwa crown. However, history can't be denied.

God bless your Dad! I once wrote an account of the Ijebu history that my father researched. The Ijebus are from the same source as Ugbo, the ilaje waterside island in Ondo State. There is something derogatory about their history that they refused to acknowledge that source. Saying they came from Wadai, Sudan makes them feel cool but it is false!
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by baby124: 11:03pm On Jul 02, 2014
Oduduwa and descendants definitely erased history of both tribes to maintain their hold. Each king probably sold a story to validate their hold on their people. And they keep revising to the present day. We will never know the true story. But to get such power, they had to have a legal and true right to the thrones. One enviable thing is that they secured their thrones firmly. I wonder what other history could come from the stories if only they will tell the truth. So many gaps. They probably killed off people who could tell their story
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Nobody: 11:16pm On Jul 02, 2014
baby_123:

No one ever wants to admit that they broke away from a larger group and may in future be required to pay homage. LOL. Everyone wants to make sure history is as ambiguous as possible. So no group can get any ideas of ownership. Nigerian's have always been wiser and more cunning than we realize.

Lmao...I believe it has more to do with greed, and the Nigerian factor than anything else. If the similar groups can admit they came from the same source, that would further engineer the mutual relationship/respect that has been elusive to the people - and foster more cooperation. Europe has about 5 or 6 main ethnic groups, hence the reason why working together is easier.
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Nobody: 11:20pm On Jul 02, 2014
X-factoria:

God bless your Dad! I once wrote an account of the Ijebu history that my father researched. The Ijebus are from the same source as Ugbo, the ilaje waterside island in Ondo State. There is something derogatory about their history that they refused to acknowledge that source. Saying they came from Wadai, Sudan makes them feel cool but it is false!

Thanks sir. I actually didn't know he knew that much about Ijebu/Yoruba. He told me things I've never read anywhere, and expanded my knowledge about Yoruba history in general. Things you'll never see in books.

Yes, the Ugbo(Ilaje) people and Ijebu's are from the same source, including the Itsekiri's(not claiming them). And to even get more knowledge about Ijebu history, one will have to also study both groups because it seems they retained certain traditions the Ijebu's lost.
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by brownlord: 11:25pm On Jul 02, 2014
shymexx:

If the bini prince went on exile, and a strange man was found in Yoruba land which is closest to Benin, I'm not sure about the time of the two event, should it be about the same time, maybe the prince had been missing before the strange man was found in another land, don't you think the missing man is the same that was found in another land, at least nothing to backup the Yoruba claims that he descended from heaven and there is evidence to show someone was banished from Benin. What we should be talking about is the time of this two event.
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by brownlord: 11:27pm On Jul 02, 2014
baby_123:

Humor me. It is a Bini word What does Bini even mean. Translate for me, i am waiting.

No idea, you can tell me if you know
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Nobody: 11:27pm On Jul 02, 2014
Gaggi: The binis do not struggle superiority with the yorubas, a king does not struggle with his subjects, it's always the yorubas trying so hard to prove they are superior.

That tiny Bini? I don't need all these history to know that Bini is just a break away Yoruba group.

All of us are related one way or the other if we can go far back in time.
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Xfactoria: 11:28pm On Jul 02, 2014
I don't blame the current generation of Bini people. Solomon Akenzua caused all this problem! I mean the current Oba of Bini who invented the story that even his father didn't tell the British.

The Bini version of Oduduwa surfaced in history for the first time in "Your Obedient Servant" an autobiography written by Solomon Akenzua, the current Oba of Bini. Before him, and when he must still be a child, Jacob Egharevba, a Bini historian of the colonial era had researched and written the Bini's history and had acknowledged as well that Oba of Bini's head were buried in Ife in pre-colonial times.

When it was time to form the Western Region of which Bini was then a part (before the post independence creation of the Midwest Region), the British invited all monarchs in the Western Region, including the Oba of Bini and it was decided based on historical facts made available to them independently by both Ife and Bini that Ife was the spiritual capital of both and therefore the Ooni of Ife was appointed the permanent Governor General of the region (head of state, in similar capacity as the Queen of England). The Oba of Bini at the time (Solomon Akenzua's father) did not object and instead accepted his rightful place as junior to the throne of the Ooni of Ife. So from time, there had been no dispute as to the relationship between Ife and Bini until Solomon Akenzua ascended his father's throne and started to re-write history.

If we must argue superiority, the Ife has all the facts to lay claim to it. Apart from Oranmiyan establishing the Oba dynasty in Bini, the Ife Arts predate the Bini's as a matter of fact. There are archeological proofs of this.

However, my guess is that the relationship between Ife and Bini must have predated the Oduduwa/Oranmiyan/Iweka era in the Ife-Bini history. If the Bini empire in its military might and fearfulness as widely described didn't expand westward into the Yoruba domain or even administer any of the Yoruba towns or territories before and after Oduduwa even emerged in Yoruba history, then what stopped them at the time? Weren't the Ogisos, the king of the sky, powerful enough to surmount Ife? Why did the Obas boycott Yorubaland in their occupation of Dahomey and other regions far west of Bini? Apart from feeding off the weakness of the Oyo empire at the time the Bini soldiers got to Eko (Lagos) to establish a camp by usurping the Aworis and administering their farmland (now Lagos Island) and establishing a dynasty there, there are no accounts of history that the Binis ruled over Yorubaland. There has always been a mutual respect and understanding between these two empires that need further research.

2 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Nobody: 11:29pm On Jul 02, 2014
brownlord:
If the bini prince went on exile, and a strange man was found in Yoruba land which is closest to Benin, I'm not sure about the time of the two event, should it be about the same time, maybe the prince had been missing before the strange man was found in another land, don't you think the missing man is the same that was found in another land, at least nothing to backup the Yoruba claims that he descended from heaven and there is evidence to show someone was banished from Benin. What we should be talking about is the time of this two event.

Stop going on a tangent.

Where did the Ogisos drop from? Jupiter or Nibiru, since the folklore about Oduduwa is funny to you?

And all evidences, including the academic source about excavations by archaeologists show that Bini kings were actually buried in Ife. Can you please provide alternate sources to back up your claims?
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by macof(m): 11:40pm On Jul 02, 2014
smoothsk: The burial site looks too simple for a monarch and benin king at that, though yoruba and benin kingdom share a lot of similarity.

I know benin was coined from the word ILE IBINU by a yoruba regent sent to govern Benin at some point guess his name is Akenzua not too sure though.
And Edo was coined from a slave who helped the king of benin at some point escape death.

Am curious as to the origin of ADO......

Yes that Yoruba reagent was prince Oranmiyan of Ife sent by his elder brother Adimula who took over Ife after Akanbi and Oduduwa were dead

Note: some tend to remove Akanbi from the family tree
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by macof(m): 11:41pm On Jul 02, 2014
Frenchkiss564: I agree with the omonoba, oduduwa is the barnished ogiso prince, the name oduduwa sounds edoish what does oduduwa mean in yoruba? To really understand this we look on to tne gods, how did olokun emerge, how did ayelala evolve, these are gods worshipped by the both, if ayelala and olokun precedes oduduwa that means both ethnics had had connection before oduduwa

Oduduwa is not what Brought Benin and Yoruba tribes together...before Oduduwa we used to have a good relationship
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by sleekman(m): 11:45pm On Jul 02, 2014
It is high time we get archaeologists into dis matter. Simple carbon dating techniques will put 2 bed a lot of these issues. For all of u that aren't aware. There were 3 main empires. Nok, dahoumey and d Benin empire. Dahoumey and d Benin empires were offshoots from d Nok empire. The Benin empire was d strongest and biggest. The major reason d Benin empire didn't grow in size was due 2 wickedness and high level of ritualistic practices. The yorubas, Itsekiri, Urhobo, Isoko, Ndokwa, Igbo(Onitsha), Ighara, Esan are either breakaways due 2 political tussles or brother princes that established other hamlets. In the case of the Urhobos who were slaves 2d Binis they ran away because of d practice of killing over 200slaves whenever an Oba was 2b buried. All Obas are buried @d Oba's palace. Like I said wickedness in high places as well as d 1897 massacre of Binis resulted in a weaker Benin.
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by macof(m): 11:53pm On Jul 02, 2014
abiolert: Am not trying to be bias or sentimental in my observations of this particular issue, being discussed but I want to raise some salient point observed in d topic. As a graduate of History and international relation one thing I observed in my course of reserch was that,yes! There was a link between the Benin and yoruba people but at a latter point in time this link was no more as a result of factors which has not be proven yet. Ife can decide to preserve this linkage or site as an historical monument but its no longer plausible that the Benin's would bury any part of their dead Oba in ife or anywhere else in the world.

Of course, no one is saying the Bini should bury Oba Erediuwa in Ife but this is history...people just don't know much of it....we in Nigeria are only interested in Jewish history at the detriment of ours

3 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Nobody: 11:53pm On Jul 02, 2014
sleekman: It is high time we get archaeologists into dis matter. Simple carbon dating techniques will put 2 bed a lot of these issues. For all of u that aren't aware. There were 3 main empires. Nok, dahoumey and d Benin empire. Dahoumey and d Benin empires were offshoots from d Nok empire. The Benin empire was d strongest and biggest. The major reason d Benin empire didn't grow in size was due 2 wickedness and high level of ritualistic practices. The yorubas, Itsekiri, Urhobo, Isoko, Ndokwa, Igbo(Onitsha), Ighara, Esan are either breakaways due 2 political tussles or brother princes that established other hamlets. In the case of the Urhobos who were slaves 2d Binis they ran away because of d practice of killing over 200slaves whenever an Oba was 2b buried. All Obas are buried @d Oba's palace. Like I said wickedness in high places as well as d 1897 massacre of Binis resulted in a weaker Benin.

Lol. Common sense dictates that Benin like other sub groups under the name Yoruba are of the same ancestry. I dont know why there is so much arguments about this, everything points to that obvious fact.
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by baby124: 11:56pm On Jul 02, 2014
sleekman: It is high time we get archaeologists into dis matter. Simple carbon dating techniques will put 2 bed a lot of these issues. For all of u that aren't aware. There were 3 main empires. Nok, dahoumey and d Benin empire. Dahoumey and d Benin empires were offshoots from d Nok empire. The Benin empire was d strongest and biggest. The major reason d Benin empire didn't grow in size was due 2 wickedness and high level of ritualistic practices. The yorubas, Itsekiri, Urhobo, Isoko, Ndokwa, Igbo(Onitsha), Ighara, Esan are either breakaways due 2 political tussles or brother princes that established other hamlets. In the case of the Urhobos who were slaves 2d Binis they ran away because of d practice of killing over 200slaves whenever an Oba was 2b buried. All Obas are buried @d Oba's palace. Like I said wickedness in high places as well as d 1897 massacre of Binis resulted in a weaker Benin.
I think Oduduwa and his descendants know the real truth of how they came to be. They seem to be a very tactical and politically intelligent family. Note how they switch from bini to Yoruba names, depending on location. Benin no doubt were a force to be reckoned with at a point because we see smaller Yoruba groups moving there. The itsekiri and the olukumi. Probably for economic purposes. One funny thing I found that further exposes this Oduduwa dynasty is that Itsekiri claim to have moved to Benin 600yrs ago. ooni talks of a dynasty of 400yrs. Very curious. I will post the links. The thing is they might have silenced the opposition in these two tribes but they forgot that the smaller tribes will have their history as well. These smaller tribes that moved from place to place for survival. I think the best way to discover the truth is to look closely at the history of the smaller tribes. The Bini and Yoruba never had hostilities for a reason. I think Oduduwa and his descendants were brilliant opportunists.

1 Like

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by macof(m): 11:56pm On Jul 02, 2014
Rexxie:
i learnt that also obtains in the benin kingdom,that the oba of benin mustsnt see his 1st son..legend has it that the current oba of benin got so old his mother had to trick oba Akenzua to the palace court to behold something important only to get there to his son..learnt he got angry,turned back and placed a curse on her and stormed into his charmber never to be seen again...well,i dont know the authenticity of that but i know the current oba was old in years b4 ascending the throne just like prince charlse is getting old while da queen is still frolicking..

Lol...yes my brother in law - an Esan who grew up in Benin told me that Oba doesn't see his first son..
Also I heard, Erediuwa did something so his father would die for him to be king as Oba always lives long...#just rumor o grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Throwback Photo Of Ooni Of Ife With The Ladies / Naomi Oluwaseyi, Ooni’s Wife, Prophesied Her Reign As Queen Over A Year Ago? / Dele Momodu Fumes As KWAM 1 Prostrates for Ooni But Shakes Hands With The Oluwo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.