Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,410 members, 7,812,215 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:09 AM

Studying In US And Canada Faq's - Educational Services (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Educational Services / Studying In US And Canada Faq's (58064 Views)

Unn 2015/16 Departmental Cut-off Mark (faq) / Universities In US And Canada That Doesn't Require GRE / Tution Free Universities In Norway, Sweden And Canada Urgent Please! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 2:37am On Jan 13, 2020
dafemlions:

You are welcome

If you are an indigent student who graduated from a Nigerian secondary school and had great WAEC results or graduated with a First class from a Nigerian University in any of the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) fields, you stand a good chance in the "EducationUSA Opportunity Fund Program"

If selected into the program EducationUSA Opportunity Fund Program will:

Pay your GRE and TOEFL fees
Pay your application fees
Assign mentors to guide you through the entire process
Pay your visa fees
Pay your flight ticket.

Applications open around March/April each year.

You can read more about the entire program at https://ng.usembassy.gov/education-culture/exchange-programs/opportunity-fund/

1 Like

Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by Daneeez11: 6:03pm On Feb 25, 2020
Hello

I graduated with a second class lower (3.41) in a Nigerian university, I studied Bsc Industrial Chemistry and would like to go for masters in Petrochemical Chemistry in any Canadian school. Any chance I can find a school that suits my cgpa and I would like to know the admission process. Thank you?
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 5:15pm On Feb 26, 2020
Daneeez11:
Hello

I graduated with a second class lower (3.41) in a Nigerian university, I studied Bsc Industrial Chemistry and would like to go for masters in Petrochemical Chemistry in any Canadian school. Any chance I can find a school that suits my cgpa and I would like to know the admission process. Thank you?

Congratulations on this great achievement. You have better chances in the US than Canada. I will suggest that you read through this thread from the beginning and follow the WES evaluation route to put you in a better standing for US schools. I also encourage you to study well for the GRE and make sure you do well in the GRE exam. You may also search for schools in Canada but funding are generally limited in Canada relative to the US. I encourage you to search for schools in US and Canada in google using the following format:

Masters in Petroleum Chemistry + US Universities
Masters in Petroleum Chemistry + Canada Universities.

I hope this helps.

Regards

1 Like

Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by Daneeez11: 1:24pm On Mar 08, 2020
Yes thank you so much���
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by Zudde: 3:01am On Apr 14, 2020
Hi @Dafemilions,
I just read through the whole thread and it's a good one thanks for the info. I am a final year student of elect elect and hoping to go for my masters soon. I already sent you a mail and requested joining the LinkedIn group.

Regards
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 3:10am On Apr 25, 2020
Zudde:
Hi @Dafemilions,
I just read through the whole thread and it's a good one thanks for the info. I am a final year student of elect elect and hoping to go for my masters soon. I already sent you a mail and requested joining the LinkedIn group.

Regards

All your requests have been granted. I wish you all the best.
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by TJ0987(f): 8:44am On Jul 05, 2020
Hello,
What if the school says to submit unofficial transcripts, and then official transcripts after admission, do I still use WES? I'm asking because my bsc GPA is 3.37/5, and I feel the Wes route could put me on a better footing.
dafemlions:

Congratulations on this great achievement. You have better chances in the US than Canada. I will suggest that you read through this thread from the beginning and follow the WES evaluation route to put you in a better standing for US schools. I also encourage you to study well for the GRE and make sure you do well in the GRE exam. You may also search for schools in Canada but funding are generally limited in Canada relative to the US. I encourage you to search for schools in US and Canada in google using the following format:

Masters in Petroleum Chemistry + US Universities
Masters in Petroleum Chemistry + Canada Universities.

I hope this helps.

Regards
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by TJ0987(f): 4:35pm On Aug 02, 2020
I apologise for rushing to ask questions before properly reading through the entire thread.
I have now done so and I realise that this question has been asked and even answered.
I am hoping to get full funding for a PhD in the US (PhD Urban Studies).
My profile:
BSC 3.12/4, msc 3.5/4
GRE Q 151, V 157, AWA 3.5
Toefl (W28, S29, L29, R29 = 115)
My schools of Choice:
CUNY, sociology PhD
Georgia State, Urban Studies PhD
Ohio State, City and Regional Planning PhD
Uni of California Irving, Sociology PhD
I am told that as a first step, I need to get in touch with faculty members who could likely supervise me, but I'm so scared of rejection, because I've gone this path before. Hopefully, a few of them agree to supervise me. I really hope luck shines on me this time around.
Thank you Dafe for all that you do. I pray God rewards your selflessness.
TJ0987:
Hello,
What if the school says to submit unofficial transcripts, and then official transcripts after admission, do I still use WES? I'm asking because my bsc GPA is 3.37/5, and I feel the Wes route could put me on a better footing.
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 2:46am On Aug 18, 2020
TJ0987:
I apologise for rushing to ask questions before properly reading through the entire thread.
I have now done so and I realise that this question has been asked and even answered.
My profile:
BSC 3.19/4 (Wes unofficial), msc 3.17/4 (Wes unofficial).
My schools of Choice:
Florida State,
Georgia State,
Ohio State,
Uni of California Irving,
Uni of Massachusetts Amherst.
I am told that as a first step, I need to get in touch with faculty members who could likely supervise me, but I'm so scared of rejection, because I've gone this path before. Hopefully, a few of them agree to supervise me. I really hope luck shines on me this time around.

I have replied to your email.

Hello Everyone,
Just want to let you know that some schools in the US are waiving the GRE requirements for 2021 Fall (September 2021) admission due to the coronavirus pandemic. So it is a good time to apply to schools in the US if you don't want to write the GRE. Please do your research online by typing "US University waiving GRE" or going through the schools of your choice to see if they are waiving the GRE requirements for Fall 2021. An example of schools that I THINK are waiving the GRE are Florida State University, West Virginia University, University of Memphis, University of Tennessee, University of Kentucky, Bowling Green State University, California State University Long Beach, Clayton State University, Illinois Institute of Technology (applicants to doctoral programs are still required to submit their scores),Mississippi State University, Stevens University, Texas A&M University-Commerce (with the exception of a few programs), University of Texas at San Antonio, Texas Tech University, University of Alabama, University of Southern Mississippi, University of Texas Rio Grand Valley, William Carey University.

Programs that waive GRE even when their school is not waiving the GRE across all programs include The University of North Texas School of Public Health, Rutgers University Professional Science Master’s Program, Some graduate programs at the University of Illinois

Also I encourage you to apply to schools that are in the northern part of the United Sates as they are in the colder region (because they are close to Canada but not as cold as Canada) and less stringent in their requirements. So you have a better chance of being admitted and getting funded. Such states include Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Idaho, Wyoming, and Washington State (NOT Washington DC).

3 Likes

Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by sujitoba(m): 12:33pm On Dec 09, 2020
Good day bros,

Thanks for your good work. I just came across this thread on nairaland and I have read through it from the beginning to the end. I’ll appreciate your input/advise on this issue.
I currently have BSc and BSc honors from South Africa university, however, prior to coming to SA I was studying nursing science at lead city university in Nigeria. I left when I was in 300L, therefore, I have 2 years transcript with cgpa 3.1 from the course.
I am trying to apply to study nursing in Canada and the school has requested that I should evaluate my academic transcript via WES. My question is should I include the 2 years transcript for WES evaluation?
Will my 3.1 gpa equals 3.0 on scale 4.0 that my prospective school is requesting.

Your advice and suggestions will be highly appreciated.

i have sent a mail to gre.nigeria@yahoo.com
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 1:36am On Jan 03, 2021
I have responded to your email
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by belovez(m): 10:56am On Feb 18, 2021
I have been searching online for canadian university that offers Msc Economics Education but i didnt find any. Most of the scholarship offers I've bee seeing are for science student.

I need help on this.
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 4:12am On Feb 28, 2021
belovez:
I have been searching online for canadian university that offers Msc Economics Education but i didnt find any. Most of the scholarship offers I've bee seeing are for science student.

I need help on this.

Thank you for your question. Honestly scholarships in Canada can be difficult compared to the United States. So I will encourage you to apply to US Universities. While reading your post, I googled your course of study and I discovered it is offered at Columbia University. https://www.tc.columbia.edu/education-policy-and-social-analysis/economics-and-education/degrees--requirements/economics-and-education-ma/

I encourage you to click on that request info or search for the graduate coordinator and send him/her an email. A good sample email is:

Dear Dr Smith,
I am John Lad Doe (nee Smart), an International student, who seeks admission for a PhD degree in the Department of ABC from your prestigious University and would be interested in working in your research team if given the opportunity.

I finished my Bachelor’s degree in 2008 from the department of ABC at the University of DEF Nigeria with a first/second-class upper division. During my senior year, I worked on a research titled “GHI”

After my undergraduate degree, I proceeded for a mandatory National Youth Service Corps (NYSC), after which I started my Masters JKL, Nigeria. During my Masters, I completed a Masters Thesis titled “MNO” and graduated with a Master’s degree in PQR in 2010. More recently, I completed an MBA program at the STU.

Please find attached to this email my Curriculum Vitae.

I look forward to hearing from you soon

Best Regards,
John Doe

Please note that you can modify the email to suite whatever you want, including admission requirements like GRE and funding/scholarship opportunities and ask if you can still be considered for funding/scholarship if you apply for fall 2021 at this time.

I hope this helps.
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by TJ0987(f): 8:35am On Mar 02, 2021
Unfortunately, I got rejected to all 4 PhD programs. Maybe the PhD isn't for me. I wish you all the best on this journey, and thank you for your responses.
TJ0987:
My profile:
BSC 3.12/4, msc 3.5/4
Toefl (W28, S29, L29, R29 = 115)
My schools of Choice:
CUNY, sociology PhD
Georgia State, Urban Studies PhD
Ohio State, City and Regional Planning PhD
Uni of California Irving, Sociology PhD
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by Fall2021: 9:55am On Mar 02, 2021
TJ0987:
Unfortunately, I got rejected to all 4 PhD programs. Maybe the PhD isn't for me. I wish you all the best on this journey, and thank you for your responses.
Please don’t give up yet. Try western Illinois university. Apply for masters.
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by TJ0987(f): 10:08am On Mar 02, 2021
To be honest, I simply can't afford the deficit, no matter how small. Most PhD programs are fully funded and that was my assurance, but with masters I won't be able to pay for the resulting fees. I thank you for your concern, and wish you the best.
Fall2021:
Please don’t give up yet. Try western Illinois university. Apply for masters.
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by KVN1(m): 9:18am On Apr 04, 2021
Good morning Dafemilions

please what is the fate of a prospective undergraduate student in an American University with an eight year old NECO result of all C's provided I come up with a good SAT score
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 1:50am On Apr 07, 2021
TJ0987:

TJ0987 kindly send me an email at gre.nigeria@yahoo.com
I know how you feel but I think all we need to do is to fine-tune the strategy. My wife (then fiancee) once gave me a card during the period of my exam in my undergraduate days and the words of the card stuck with me till today even though I misplaced the card. It reads: The road to success may be rough and challenging. If you encounter a stumbling block on the way, do not change your decision to go, only change your direction to get there. So, don't give up. By God's grace you should be able to get into a Ph.D program either by Spring 2022 or latest Fall 2022. I want you to remain optimistic. I look forward to your email.

Best regards
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 1:54am On Apr 07, 2021
KVN1:
Good morning Dafemilions

please what is the fate of a prospective undergraduate student in an American University with an eight year old NECO result of all C's provided I come up with a good SAT score

Hmmm. If you can explain the gap, you should be fine. It pretty expensive to get an undergraduate degree in the United States as an international students because scholarships for international students are very limited. As a result, people go though the route of community college for the first 2 years (which is relatively less expensive) and then cross to the University for the last 2 years.
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 1:58am On Apr 07, 2021
TJ0987:
To be honest, I simply can't afford the deficit, no matter how small. Most PhD programs are fully funded and that was my assurance, but with masters I won't be able to pay for the resulting fees. I thank you for your concern, and wish you the best.

TJ0987 not all Ph.D programs are fully funded. Your response appears to me that you did not go through the entire thread from the beginning. If you apply to programs with Masters only (no PhD program for your course in the school to which you're applying), you have a better chance of getting full funding/scholarship. I will be looking out for your email.

Best regards
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by KVN1(m): 12:06pm On Apr 21, 2021
dafemlions:

Hmmm. If you can explain the gap, you should be fine. It pretty expensive to get an undergraduate degree in the United States as an international students because scholarships for international students are very limited. As a result, people go though the route of community college for the first 2 years (which is relatively less expensive) and then cross to the University for the last 2 years.

thanks for the answer Bro. I realize that my chances are slim.

My alternative is Canada. Please tell me all I need to know.
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 4:29pm On May 22, 2021
KVN1:

thanks for the answer Bro. I realize that my chances are slim.

My alternative is Canada. Please tell me all I need to know.

Hello KVN1,
I still want you to know that you stand a better chance in the United States than Canada in terms of funding. For example, there is a scholarship called FLAWI (Florida/West Africa Institute) which if you get the scholarship, you will be able to pay in-state tuition if you get admitted to any Community college or University in the State of Florida and this will greatly reduce your financial burden. I will encourage you to apply to community colleges for an associate degree and then cross to the third year in the University to finish up your bachelors. You may even be lucky that the community college offers a Bachelor's degree in your course of study and that will greatly reduce the financial burden on you.

Just want to include that for those of you that go to Canada because of their immigration friendly atmosphere, the United States also have legal and easy pathway for international students who come in to study to become permanent residents in the United States. It is called the National Interest Waiver and many international students have taken advantage of this route to become permanent residents and eventually Citizens of the United States. So what you are looking for in Canada is also in the United States.

Also, maybe in August or early September this year, when the new application cycle will start for Fall 2022, I will be doing a zoom conference to answer questions and give guidance to those that may have questions. I will also be speaking to some of friends who are Professors in the United States to join the conference to answer questions. Will encourage you to stay tuned and will give you updates when the conference will be coming up.

Regards

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by KVN1(m): 5:18pm On May 23, 2021
dafemlions:

Hello KVN1,
I still want you to know that you stand a better chance in the United States than Canada in terms of funding. For example, there is a scholarship called FLAWI (Florida/West Africa Institute) which if you get the scholarship, you will be able to pay in-state tuition if you get admitted to any Community college or University in the State of Florida and this will greatly reduce your financial burden. I will encourage you to apply to community colleges for an associate degree and then cross to the third year in the University to finish up your bachelors. You may even be lucky that the community college offers a Bachelor's degree in your course of study and that will greatly reduce the financial burden on you.

Just want to include that for those of you that go to Canada because of their immigration friendly atmosphere, the United States also have legal and easy pathway for international students who come in to study to become permanent residents in the United States. It is called the National Interest Waiver and many international students have taken advantage of this route to become permanent residents and eventually Citizens of the United States. So what you are looking for in Canada is also in the United States.

Also, maybe in August or early September this year, when the new application cycle will start for Fall 2022, I will be doing a zoom conference to answer questions and give guidance to those that may have questions. I will also be speaking to some of friends who are Professors in the United States to join the conference to answer questions. Will encourage you to stay tuned and will give you updates when the conference will be coming up.

Regards

thanks a lot Dafemlions

my intention of making Canada my new alternative is because of the fact that Canada allows me to work outside Campus without much restrictions as the States
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by Jennyslims: 10:22pm On Feb 01, 2022
Hi Guys,
Greetings from here. Honestly I commend all your contributions and guidelines on this thread. It is so Helpful.
Please I really need some help from you guys. It's my first time applying for a course in abroad (Canada), I have little or no experience at all. i have an OND in Environmental Health Science. I want to apply for a Degree in Nursing or in Environmental Health too. Here's where I need help, I don't know where and how to start drafting my Motivation letter to be great as I don't have any hints or heads up.

Please can someone help me draft a good Motivation letter?? Please I'm pleading � The admission deadline is February 15th. I'm applying to these schools: University of Columbia Canada, University of Alberta, Queens University.. and I also want to know if these schools give scholarships and international student Grants/Funds??
Thank you!
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by tuffguy: 4:36pm On Feb 12, 2022
Thank you so much sir, I don't know how nairaland works, I am hardly ever here, I just saw this, thanks so much. I passed the GRE almost 3years.
dafemlions:

GRE is only verbal and quantitative so you have to fall in love with maths.
Read my thread from the beginning till end and it will answer most of your questions.
Send and email to gre.nigeria@yahoo.com to request for GRE materials
To manage your worry, you need to study the materials to learn the tricks for solving the maths. The more you learn the tricks, the less your worry.

You can get details on the cost of GRE from http://www.ets.org/gre/

I hope this helps
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by Jacknn: 1:44pm On Feb 21, 2022
Heey mr dafe..thanks thusfar for ur huge contributions. I just stumbled upon this thread on my way to pursuing a fully funded Msc programme in the US with a 2.85/4 CGPA when converted to Wes..

Mr dafe, pls can we create a whatsapp group for intending guys hoping to move this year or next year as d case may be??
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 9:41pm On Mar 27, 2022
Jacknn:
Heey mr dafe..thanks thusfar for ur huge contributions. I just stumbled upon this thread on my way to pursuing a fully funded Msc programme in the US with a 2.85/4 CGPA when converted to Wes..

Mr dafe, pls can we create a whatsapp group for intending guys hoping to move this year or next year as d case may be??

Hello Jacknn,
Thank you for reaching out. kindly follow me @dafemlions on Twitter and I will be answering your questions on Twitter.
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by Neyosky2000: 11:36am On Jun 07, 2023
Hi, I am a recent graduate (First class), married with a child. I look forward to scholarships either in the US or Canada but the fear of not being with my family for a very long time makes me narrow the scholarship hunt to only Canada. Is this an unnecessary fear about the US or I should just concentrate on my hunting in Canada?
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by Nobody: 11:49am On Sep 13, 2023
Nice write up
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by Ayosharon4321: 1:14pm On Mar 12
Hello everyone, I have a 1.7/5.0gpa from unilag, is it possible to get school in usa for masters degree. Am finding myself?

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

JAMB PAST QUESTION AND ANSWER / I Need Good Accounting Project Topics For My Final Year Project. / Download Complete Project Topics And Materials For FREE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.