Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,136 members, 7,814,975 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:16 AM

Are The Ivorian Golden Generation Players Overated Or Unlucky? - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Are The Ivorian Golden Generation Players Overated Or Unlucky? (12072 Views)

Is Eden Hazard Of Chelsea, Overated Or Under Rated? / Is John Obi Mikel A FLOP Or Just Been Overated By Chelsea Fans / Caption This Picture Of Ivorian Players (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are The Ivorian Golden Generation Players Overated Or Unlucky? by Nobody: 1:59pm On Jul 06, 2014
They are simply overrated abeg

5 nations cup attempt - No win
3 world cup attempt - first round exit in all
Thought they were unlucky with their previous draws in the world cup group stages but what about the 2014 edition?

3 Likes

Re: Are The Ivorian Golden Generation Players Overated Or Unlucky? by rattlesnake(m): 2:00pm On Jul 06, 2014
Expired
Re: Are The Ivorian Golden Generation Players Overated Or Unlucky? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 2:00pm On Jul 06, 2014
They had unlucky strikers, but overrated defenders & a goal keeper called Boubacar Barry. That guy has been fumbling since 2006 AFCON in Egypt.
Though, they were unlucky in 2006 AFCON.
But in recent years, Ivory Coast was overrated btw 2008 till date!

1 Like

Re: Are The Ivorian Golden Generation Players Overated Or Unlucky? by pyyxxaro: 2:02pm On Jul 06, 2014
grin tongue Na Devil they use them

1 Like

Re: Are The Ivorian Golden Generation Players Overated Or Unlucky? by azimibraun: 2:04pm On Jul 06, 2014
Population is supposed to be an added advantage and I jst ddnt say population I said with experienced players. The more youths a futball crazy nation hs d more potential futballers it is expected to have. Its just logical. Is population nt one of the factors helping brazillian futball? Cn brazil have 200,000 futballer with a population of 400,000. Population is jst one added advantage alongside others such as youth development programmes, funding, strong local leagues etc.
Re: Are The Ivorian Golden Generation Players Overated Or Unlucky? by Vansnickers: 2:05pm On Jul 06, 2014
laidesmen217:

u get luck say 2day na sunday.....if nt......

What would you do? Ediot!

Get out of here.
Re: Are The Ivorian Golden Generation Players Overated Or Unlucky? by tuffgongjo(m): 2:06pm On Jul 06, 2014
publicenemy: Too much Ego n the team no team work.

When Ngeria had the star studded team what did we win? Nothing. But because we now have unknown players willng to play for one another and listen to the manager,we won the nations cup and revived the belief in Ngerians in the team.
.Tunisia 94.
Re: Are The Ivorian Golden Generation Players Overated Or Unlucky? by Emmysteve(m): 2:06pm On Jul 06, 2014
t.swags:
pls has any one here ever bought a domain name 4rm lagoshost.com, I need his hlp
is this the right thread to ask this question?
Re: Are The Ivorian Golden Generation Players Overated Or Unlucky? by tuffgongjo(m): 2:07pm On Jul 06, 2014
Okiki_Oluwa: They had unlucky strikers, but overrated defenders & a goal keeper called Boubacar Barry. That guy has been fumbling since 2006 AFCON in Egypt.
Though, they were unlucky in 2006 AFCON.
But in recent years, Ivory Coast was overrated btw 2008 till date!
,na lie he has been fumbling from him mama belle.lol
Re: Are The Ivorian Golden Generation Players Overated Or Unlucky? by Nobody: 2:07pm On Jul 06, 2014
Van snickers:

What would you do? Ediot!

Get out of here.

i pity ur mum who wasted her energy in givin birth 2 a pig like u
Re: Are The Ivorian Golden Generation Players Overated Or Unlucky? by pickabeau1: 2:07pm On Jul 06, 2014
eaxtly

Adetayo100: They are simply overrated abeg

5 nations cup attempt - No win
3 world cup attempt - first round exit in all
Thought they were unlucky with their previous draws in the world cup group stages but what about the 2014 edition?

1 Like

Re: Are The Ivorian Golden Generation Players Overated Or Unlucky? by chucky234(m): 2:08pm On Jul 06, 2014
Overhyped, overrated and overflogged bunch.
Re: Are The Ivorian Golden Generation Players Overated Or Unlucky? by Fimmy(m): 2:08pm On Jul 06, 2014
to me.. I believe they ALWAYS under perform when it matters most.. this isn't about luck or not having a good coach.. Besides there is no passion or commitment for their country.. Jst like most african football teams...
Re: Are The Ivorian Golden Generation Players Overated Or Unlucky? by hensben(m): 2:10pm On Jul 06, 2014
ritux: 1. They are unlucky

2. They are like the English national team, good individually as players but poor collectively as a team.
english players are overrated, most of them are average
Re: Are The Ivorian Golden Generation Players Overated Or Unlucky? by Nobody: 2:12pm On Jul 06, 2014
Personally, I think the "golden generation" tag on teams, is like a gift and a curse. You get the hype, and the failure. I still don't know any "golden generation" team in recent times that achieved any greatness, to be honest. I grew up watching the the so-called Dutch golden generation, of the Seedorf, Kluivert, Overmars, Davids, Cocu, Bergkamp etc. and they never achieved anything - perennial underachievers. Then, the Portuguese golden generation of Figo, Rui Costa, Abel Xavier etc., and they were also perennial underachievers. So, the hype about "golden generation" always obfuscate the weaknesses of these teams.

As for Ivorians: coaching, tactics, and team chemistry have been the curse of the team. I, for one, know that, the team never play well in big matches whenever Drogba starts. I don't know why, but I knew they would lose when I saw Drogba's name in the starting line-up against Greece. Also, the tactics and coaching were just horrible, from the get-go, including the ludicrous substitutions.

Also, they were unlucky during the lost two world cups - no sane person expected them to make it out of those groups. Then again, Senegal did the unthinkable at the 2002 world cup when they shocked the world. They were also unlucky at the two African cup finals they lost. Missed chances messed them up.

In all honesty, I just think "golden generation" is more or less a hype. There's nothing golden about them, since most of their players, aside Drogba and Yaya Toure, aren't world class players. Just decent players. The same hype is the curse of the Belgian team, which has only probably Hazard and Kompany, with a bunch of other decent players. People need to stop the hype about golden generation.

3 Likes

Re: Are The Ivorian Golden Generation Players Overated Or Unlucky? by alfredo4u(m): 2:13pm On Jul 06, 2014
Na wetin dis small boy dey look abeg?

Re: Are The Ivorian Golden Generation Players Overated Or Unlucky? by jnrbayano(m): 2:22pm On Jul 06, 2014
They are a bunch of nearly men
Re: Are The Ivorian Golden Generation Players Overated Or Unlucky? by jnrbayano(m): 2:24pm On Jul 06, 2014
banega: Confused set!

Eva Banega lipsrsealed
Re: Are The Ivorian Golden Generation Players Overated Or Unlucky? by pomporiking: 2:26pm On Jul 06, 2014
They are talented individuals not a team
Re: Are The Ivorian Golden Generation Players Overated Or Unlucky? by Leemak: 2:27pm On Jul 06, 2014
Not that they are overrated or unlucky but is just that they lack indepth-techniques abilities,their matches at this world cup showed this.
Re: Are The Ivorian Golden Generation Players Overated Or Unlucky? by publicenemy(m): 2:27pm On Jul 06, 2014
tuffgongjo: .Tunisia 94.

Just that once and dont forget that we played the zambian team that lost its best players to a plain crash the previous year..
subsequent years we paraded better stars playing in dfferent european clubs and so much was expected from us and we failed in the nations cup and the world cup.
Re: Are The Ivorian Golden Generation Players Overated Or Unlucky? by tuffgongjo(m): 2:33pm On Jul 06, 2014
publicenemy:

Just that once and dont forget that we played the zambian team that lost its best players to a plain crash the previous year..
subsequent years we paraded better stars playing in dfferent european clubs and so much was expected from us and we failed in the nations cup and the world cup.
.we didn't failed @ d World cup in 94,inexperience cost us and after don't forget that nigeria was suspended by caf betwixt 96$98 so we never defended our crown.
Re: Are The Ivorian Golden Generation Players Overated Or Unlucky? by LeSulk(m): 2:34pm On Jul 06, 2014
Les Elephants are just as OVERRATED as the Three Lions.In 2006 and 2010 they had difficult groups and I tot they were unlucky.This World Cup proves they are overrated
Re: Are The Ivorian Golden Generation Players Overated Or Unlucky? by femi4: 2:38pm On Jul 06, 2014
publicenemy:

Nig was suspended in 96 & 98
Re: Are The Ivorian Golden Generation Players Overated Or Unlucky? by publicenemy(m): 2:42pm On Jul 06, 2014
tuffgongjo: .we didn't failed @ d World cup in 94,inexperience cost us and after don't forget that nigeria was suspended by caf betwixt 96$98 so we never defended our crown.

i didnt say we failed in 1994 world cup what meant is that after that set of Nigerian players we havent achieved anything on the senior level with subsequent star players.and i thnk its becos then football wasnt as publicised as it is today and not much money was being payed compared to today so their head was cool then compared to now.
Re: Are The Ivorian Golden Generation Players Overated Or Unlucky? by femi4: 2:45pm On Jul 06, 2014
The overrated ivorians lost to
Egypt in 2006 final

Egypt in 2008 semi

Algeria in 2010 qfinal

Zambia in 2012 final and

Nigeria in 2013 qfinal
Re: Are The Ivorian Golden Generation Players Overated Or Unlucky? by publicenemy(m): 2:46pm On Jul 06, 2014
femi4: Nig was suspended in 96 & 98

Yea...and from 98 till date we have been n numerous nations cup fnals and semi finals and lost most of them...

Still thnk the ivorian team problem is based on ego and lack of team work.

I watched them in the world cup and the seemed to be playing indvidual football.

They need a good manager to blend them up.
Re: Are The Ivorian Golden Generation Players Overated Or Unlucky? by femi4: 2:49pm On Jul 06, 2014
publicenemy:

i didnt say we failed in 1994 world cup what meant is that after that set of Nigerian players we havent achieved anything on the senior level with subsequent star players.and i thnk its becos then football wasnt as publicised as it is today and not much money was being payed compared to today so their head was cool then compared to now.
It has nothing to do with money, we stopped producing world class players. Our players failed to command regular shirts at their clubs

We hardly get nominations for APOTY
Re: Are The Ivorian Golden Generation Players Overated Or Unlucky? by femi4: 2:51pm On Jul 06, 2014
publicenemy:

Yea...and from 98 till date we have been n numerous nations cup fnals and semi finals and lost most of them...

Still thnk the ivorian team problem is based on ego and lack of team work.

I watched them in the world cup and the seemed to be playing indvidual football.

They need a good manager to blend them up.
Not with the same generation of players

Nig won the olympic in between
Nations cup 94
And got to the world cup second round back to back
Re: Are The Ivorian Golden Generation Players Overated Or Unlucky? by Samunique(m): 2:53pm On Jul 06, 2014
publicenemy: Too much Ego n the team no team work.

When Ngeria had the star studded team what did we win? Nothing. But because we now have unknown players willng to play for one another and listen to the manager,we won the nations cup and revived the belief in Ngerians in the team.
Thanks u so much!!!!

U rally hit the point.

100000 likes!!!!
Re: Are The Ivorian Golden Generation Players Overated Or Unlucky? by sean079: 2:55pm On Jul 06, 2014
dos guys lack hunger n thirst for glory. no doubt d talent is dere but if hunger n urge for success is missing dey always b a nobody in d game just lyk spanish team yrs back. bundle of talent n technical knowhow but still remained underdogs until new generatn of players with team spirit for glory spearheaded by my boy iniesta step in.
Re: Are The Ivorian Golden Generation Players Overated Or Unlucky? by Nobody: 2:55pm On Jul 06, 2014
t.swags:
pls has any one here ever bought a domain name 4rm lagoshost.com, I need his hlp
i placed an order on 3/7/2014 but have not paid yet! Domain registration and hosting...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Fan Dies In Dubai / Fire Guts Gbenga Okunowo 's Home In Ibadan / Liverpool Battle Chelsea Over FC Porto’s Alex Telles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.