Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,108 members, 7,814,891 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:14 PM

Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil (17540 Views)

African People With Blue Eyes...weird... O_o / Red-head African People / Do African Americans Have A Culture? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Nobody: 5:19am On Jul 10, 2014
In a world where bio-tech engineers redefine life's boundaries and fashion designers dictate dress code, civilization and most importantly social media influence have all helped most of us flush our very own culture, tradition, language and heritage down the wrong tunnel.

1 Like

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by AfricanApple(f): 5:27am On Jul 10, 2014
pickabeau1:

i will respond to you if you can answer three questions

- Define culture to you
- What is african culture
- What is uncommon about african culture

Then we can have a discussion

culture is a way of life, d way we live; d way we eat dress greet, d clothes we were and d food we eat. our customs and our believes
our culture is our origin and our origin is our identity

African culture is d culture dat belong to d people of africa

i dnt really understand d last question. do u mean what we dnt have in common as africans or wat is unusual abt african culture in general

1 Like

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by angela98(f): 6:03am On Jul 10, 2014
Yes they do depending on family background. Particularly the older generation. But the younger generation are becoming more westernized, liberated and they are now having their own voice.they are also more exposed and wiser because the world have changed and now very open. The birth of technology changed a lot of conception. cool

1 Like

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Atmmachine(m): 6:18am On Jul 10, 2014
yes i do..
I have a masquerade & a shrine here in America.. Only death can take me away from my culture

1 Like

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by pickabeau1: 6:25am On Jul 10, 2014
AfricanApple: culture is a way of life, d way we live; d way we eat dress greet, d clothes we were and d food we eat. our customs and our believes
our culture is our origin and our origin is our identity

African culture is d culture dat belong to d people of africa

i dnt really understand d last question. do u mean what we dnt have in common as africans or wat is unusual abt african culture in general

Thank you...i agree with the first
However I would like to know what you mean as culture as origin.

Secondly do you think African culture itself is common and monolithic

The question you did not answer
You said there is nothing common with the white man..was what is there is not common in african and non cultures

Are u saying they don't have language. Festivals. Way of greetings, value system etc

Explain..
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Jakeattah(m): 6:32am On Jul 10, 2014
Not like before
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Nobody: 7:07am On Jul 10, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

typical excuse of a whitemans bootlicker.

guy calm down..... ur blood too dey hot..... why are u typing in english..... african evander holyfield

2 Likes

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by DocAdray(f): 7:09am On Jul 10, 2014
Following
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by NickiRoman: 7:35am On Jul 10, 2014
Fulaman198:

That's only a few who are not white-washed/Westernised. I am not Westernised. If they had their way, I'm sure a lot of Nigerians here would want me to put my signature in English, not going to happen.
...What do you mean by "A lot of Nigerians here would want you to put your signature in English"? Do you mean A lot of Nigerians care about your signature

Your world really does evolve around Nairaland grin,
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Freiburger(m): 8:13am On Jul 10, 2014
***yawns***
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by OkikiOluwa1(m): 8:29am On Jul 10, 2014
I always hold my culture high.
For public notice,
me & my wife are wearing native attires in our church wedding!
That's to prove that it's not compulsory to put on wedding suits & gowns to church.
There's a difference btw church wedding & white wedding!

1 Like

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by DarryOsh(m): 9:52am On Jul 10, 2014
NickiRoman: ...What do you mean by "A lot of Nigerians here would want you to put your signature in English"? Do you mean A lot of Nigerians care about your signature

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by DarryOsh(m): 9:53am On Jul 10, 2014
NickiRoman: ...What do you mean by "A lot of Nigerians here would want you to put your signature in English"? Do you mean A lot of Nigerians care about your signature

Lol. I thought I was the only one that sneered at that statement.

All this culture issue sef ehn e get as e be o. What you guys should realise is that there are over fifty countries in Africa , thousands of languages and distinct cultures (although we could argue thatI there are some similarities)

And the so called oyibos that we jumble up together and regard as Western culture, they once had distinct cultural practices. But with continued interaction over long periods they absorbed from one another and became really similar.

I am pan African. I love Nigeria. I speak my native language very very well. I speak English very very well. However I read and write English much better than my native language.

English is our lingua franca. That is the major thing that has led to us absorbing the so called western culture. Once a language becomes dominant in a place the battle for cultural supremacy is half won. The dominant language you speak determines the books you read, the movies you watch, the online sites you visit etc. We all know that the info we consume affects how we see things. So over time the things we read about (practices, dressing, etc) look to us as the 'normal and acceptable'.

We can certainly take steps to preserve aspects of our culture but I don't think we can go back to to pre-colonial cultural Africa.

A lot of cultures have had to deal with this. A lot of people don't even know that there are local languages in places like Ireland till this day .

2 Likes

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Nobody: 10:23am On Jul 10, 2014
pickabeau1:

Your question is flawed

Culture is dynamic

Define african culture.. before you can say not having one type of culture stems from inferiority complex

This way, while i get your thrust, you steer clear of needless controversies and focus on logic

Every person has an identity.. it just may not suit your fancy
Well said! As time passes, things advance and situation arises that brings cultural/traditional changes. The op cannot tell us that he ties wrapper to work or farms for a living. It has nothing to do with inferiority complex. We are only moving/evolving with time- that is the key to development! Any culture that depicts wickedness and selfishness that brings tears to the eyes of people deserve to go extinct! After all, the same promoters of our culture/tradition sold their brothers to the whites as slaves for petty things like mirror.

3 Likes

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Freiburger(m): 10:35am On Jul 10, 2014
koyyes: Well said! As time passes, things advance and culture/tradition changes. The op cannot tell us that he ties wrapper to work or farms for a living. It has nothing to do with inferiority complex. We are only moving/evolving with time- that is the key to development!
No, I should be appying bigotry to whatever I'm doing so I can show to the world that I really care about my culture cheesy cheesy
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:06am On Jul 10, 2014
fulanigirl: These attacks on women and abandoning their cultures is getting old. I am proud of my culture and I don't need anyone else's approval. My dad is Fulani but I dong speak any Fulani. He grew up around Hausa people and that's the language he was brought up to speak. Please explain to me why that makes him any less of a Fulani man? As a Fulani person I'm expected to like fura and nono but I hate it. Do you think that makes me any less of a fulani person?

My mum is Hausa but my Hausa is terrible and I don't always speak it. However I do read the Hausa books really well. However my cousins whose Hausa is perfect do everything to represent their culture but yet they can't read it. Which one of us abandoned our culture here?

I have my traditional Hausa clothes but I only wear it on special occasions because I think It makes me look really good. I guess I am abandoning my culture?

So if a woman chooses to have a white wedding, how does that affect you in any way? Each to their own!!

So you are choosing these things to define me? Don't you think that's kinda shallow? I am only proud of my culture based on clothing, language and the type of music I listen to?

You are who you are regardless of anything. I will always be Fulani and Hausa regardless of what you find to be acceptable and I am damn well proud of it

half-castes are exempt from this discussion. (no offence)
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:09am On Jul 10, 2014
ARES:

guy calm down..... ur blood too dey hot..... why are u typing in english..... african evander holyfield

Im not getting hot.

That excuse which I quoted ""Culture is Dynamic"", is not the first time Im hearing it.

It is a common excuse used to do away with aspects of African culture and justify western cultural traits being used by Africans.

traits, many of which can be avoided.

and btw I am typing in English because you wont be able to understand my language. That doesnt mean I speak English as the default language with my own people.

2 Likes

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 11:18am On Jul 10, 2014
koyyes: Well said! As time passes, things advance and situation arises that brings cultural/traditional changes. The op cannot tell us that he ties wrapper to work or farms for a living. It has nothing to do with inferiority complex. We are only moving/evolving with time- that is the key to development! Any culture that depicts wickedness and selfishness that brings tears to the eyes of people deserve to go extinct! After all, the same promoters of our culture/tradition sold their brothers to the whites as slaves for petty things like mirror.

Trash, you sound like someone who believes he made those changes or they came naturally, are you living in denial? Being subjugated, colonized and brainwashed have nothing to do with culture dynamic, your people never gathered somewhere to decide and adopt new principles...you are just another white wannabe

Funny enough African cultures seem the only ones to change or b dictated by external societies. Tufiakwa
I spit on anyone justifying not practicing his culture...

5 Likes

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 11:23am On Jul 10, 2014
angela98: Yes they do depending on family background. Particularly the older generation. But the younger generation are becoming more westernized, liberated and they are now having their own voice.they are also more exposed and wiser because the world have changed and now very open. The birth of technology changed a lot of conception. cool

another brainwashed zombie, who believes that abandoning her culture is synonymous of being open and exposed .wiser really? Yet our forefathers lived in more advanced societies, while we live in shithole ?

3 Likes

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by pickabeau1: 11:36am On Jul 10, 2014
koyyes: Well said! As time passes, things advance and situation arises that brings cultural/traditional changes. The op cannot tell us that he ties wrapper to work or farms for a living. It has nothing to do with inferiority complex. We are only moving/evolving with time- that is the key to development! Any culture that depicts wickedness and selfishness that brings tears to the eyes of people deserve to go extinct! After all, the same promoters of our culture/tradition sold their brothers to the whites as slaves for petty things like mirror.

While I get your points, there are elements of contempt where not showcasing one's culture lies in some instances

if an eskimo comes to Australia which is mostly hot, will he need to wear his anorak.. NO
He cant speak the language to another except maybe by phone call..

Does it mean he is inferior..NO?

Which is why i asked for definition of culture from the OP..
There
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by angela98(f): 11:44am On Jul 10, 2014
CAMNEWTON4PRES:

another brainwashed zombie, who believes that abandoning her culture is synonymous of being open and exposed .wiser really? Yet our forefathers lived in more advanced societies, while we live in shithole ?

king amadioha Abi oba of sango, why is your heart full of anger?? Na wah for you o
You just carry this world matter for head like world cup...ha ha ha ha. Abeg no go kill your self for culture issue o. Ha ha ha..adamama

2 Likes

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Nobody: 11:44am On Jul 10, 2014
CAMNEWTON4PRES:

Trash, you sound like someone who believes he made those changes or they came naturally, are you living in denial? Being subjugated, colonized and brainwashed have nothing to do with culture dynamic, your people never gathered somewhere to decide and adopt new principles...you are just another white wannabe

Funny enough African cultures seem the only ones to change or b dictated by external societies. Tufiakwa
I really don't give a damn about what you think. Have you studied or visited the whole continents in the world to make that baseless conclusion that its only african cultures that are being 'dictated' by external societies. Its very simple, if you want to prove a point, go and farm,don't wear western clothes, don't have anything to do with anything made possible by western influence which includes being a member of nairaland, don't go to hospitals,don't even go to school or speak english anymore, relocate to the remote part of your village and live there till you expire. Look who is talking about being in denial, even the tribe in south africa that walks nude make and prove their points better. You spit....? Why not admit that you drool like a retard that can't control the muscle around your filthy mouth? DAMN DELUSIONAL HYPOCRITE!

4 Likes

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Nobody: 11:44am On Jul 10, 2014
CAMNEWTON4PRES:

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by bukatyne(f): 11:45am On Jul 10, 2014
This same topic again?

What is 'African Culture'?

Let me limit to Nigeria here.. 'what is Nigerian culture?'

@OP that doesn't put his signature in English, ever heard of communication? or do you expect all NLers to understand Hausa?

Quick question: why is the OP and subsequent posts not in Fulani/Hausa?

1 Like

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Nobody: 12:23pm On Jul 10, 2014
Senseless thread indeed! Stop exporting ritual killings, dirtiness and primitive activities to developed countries. If you aren't ready for change and move with the modern world you better go back to the forest where you belong.

2 Likes

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Nobody: 12:32pm On Jul 10, 2014
Fulaman198:

That's only a few who are not white-washed/Westernised. I am not Westernised. If they had their way, I'm sure a lot of Nigerians here would want me to put my signature in English, not going to happen.
But ur signature is for u and ur tribesmen. Talk more with it here....u are on ur own. Ur culture does not reach all Nigeria. I'm not OK though with copying all we see but who has a better economy spreads his culture.
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by fulanigirl(f): 1:14pm On Jul 10, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

half-castes are exempt from this discussion. (no offence)

Why would I be exempted?
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:26pm On Jul 10, 2014
bukatyne: This same topic again?

What is 'African Culture'?

Let me limit to Nigeria here.. 'what is Nigerian culture?'

@OP that doesn't put his signature in English, ever heard of communication? or do you expect all NLers to understand Hausa?

Quick question: why is the OP and subsequent posts not in Fulani/Hausa?

Cuz you wont understand Hausa or Fulfulde. undecided
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:31pm On Jul 10, 2014
fulanigirl:

Why would I be exempted?

because half-castes are neither here nor there, so they don't know where to fit in. Eternally confused.

but it is not their fault. It is their parents, ignorance, etc.

and it eventually leads to write-ups such as these:

fulanigirl: These attacks on women and abandoning their cultures is getting old. I am proud of my culture and I don't need anyone else's approval. My dad is Fulani but I dong speak any Fulani. He grew up around Hausa people and that's the language he was brought up to speak. Please explain to me why that makes him any less of a Fulani man? As a Fulani person I'm expected to like fura and nono but I hate it. Do you think that makes me any less of a fulani person?

My mum is Hausa but my Hausa is terrible and I don't always speak it. However I do read the Hausa books really well. However my cousins whose Hausa is perfect do everything to represent their culture but yet they can't read it. Which one of us abandoned our culture here?

I have my traditional Hausa clothes but I only wear it on special occasions because I think It makes me look really good. I guess I am abandoning my culture?

So if a woman chooses to have a white wedding, how does that affect you in any way? Each to their own!!

So you are choosing these things to define me? Don't you think that's kinda shallow? I am only proud of my culture based on clothing, language and the type of music I listen to?

You are who you are regardless of anything. I will always be Fulani and Hausa regardless of what you find to be acceptable and I am damn well proud of it
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by bukatyne(f): 1:31pm On Jul 10, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

Cuz you wont understand Hausa or Fulfulde. undecided

Perfect then why is he saying some NLers would like his signature in English?

If it is something important to us, he would have posted in English
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:33pm On Jul 10, 2014
bukatyne:

Perfect then why is he saying some NLers would like his signature in English?

If it is something important to us, he would have posted in English

He probably wants to display it only to his fellow FUlani people. and to show everyone that he is FUlani. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Hierarchy Of Kings In Yoruba Land: The Top 5 / Full List Of Past Olubadans / Yoruba Boys And Igbo Gals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.