Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,886 members, 7,817,612 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:30 PM

Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil (17547 Views)

African People With Blue Eyes...weird... O_o / Red-head African People / Do African Americans Have A Culture? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by TerryCarr(m): 6:00pm On Jul 12, 2014
pickabeau1:

As I asked earlier...what determines greatness of a culture
personal opinion or historic bias
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by pickabeau1: 6:11pm On Jul 12, 2014
TerryCarr:
personal opinion or historic bias

Basically subjective

A culture is great to you because you like it or were told it was great?

1 Like

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by TerryCarr(m): 6:26pm On Jul 12, 2014
pickabeau1:

Basically subjective

A culture is great to you because you like it or were told it was great?

i think all culture a "great" in there own right
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by pickabeau1: 7:37pm On Jul 12, 2014
TerryCarr:
i think all culture a "great" in there own right

Did u mean every culture is great in its own right?
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by TerryCarr(m): 8:14pm On Jul 12, 2014
pickabeau1:

yeah grin it add diversity to the world
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Nobody: 5:57am On Jul 13, 2014
pickabeau1:

I think he is right. Every culture is great but the diff. only comes from the attitude of its 'followers'
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by pickabeau1: 10:47am On Jul 13, 2014
Zedric:
I think he is right. Every culture is great but the diff. only comes from the attitude of its 'followers'

Do you also agree every culture is great in its own right
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Nobody: 3:38pm On Jul 13, 2014
pickabeau1:

Do you also agree every culture is great in its own right

Sure. Take the hausas has a case study, if they didn't respect thier language like their yoruba counterparts, do u think it will get the international regocnition it has now? There z even a BBC hausa
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by pickabeau1: 3:41pm On Jul 13, 2014
Zedric:
Sure. Take the hausas has a case study, if they didn't respect thier language like their yoruba counterparts, do u think it will get the international regocnition it has now? There z even a BBC hausa

If every culture is great
Do you agree no culture is less greater or more greater than another

1 Like

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Nobody: 3:59pm On Jul 13, 2014
pickabeau1:

If every culture is great
Do you agree no culture is less greater or more greater than another
Ofcourse, they are all equal. All any culture needs is to be valued by its people. Simple
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by pickabeau1: 4:01pm On Jul 13, 2014
Zedric:
Ofcourse, they are all equal. All any culture needs is to be valued by its people. Simple

If all cultures are equal n great

Then if u adopt any culture other than what I was born with.. It shouldn't be an issue undecided
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Nobody: 4:14pm On Jul 13, 2014
pickabeau1:

If all cultures are equal n great

Then if u adopt any culture other than what I was born with.. It shouldn't be an issue undecided
All cultures are basically great. What differentiates the cultures is the attitudes of its people. If the people believe in it, they can make it greater. Conversely, if the people neglect, it is gradually neglected to the background. And thats where the problem arises, neglecting your ancestors legacy to hype another man' culture. Would you allow your son drop your surname for another man' surname cos he feels urs is "uncool"?

2 Likes

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by pickabeau1: 4:16pm On Jul 13, 2014
Zedric:
All cultures are basically great. What differentiates the cultures is the attitudes of its people. If the people believe in it, they can make it greater. Conversely, if the people neglect, it is gradually neglected to the background. And thats where the problem arises, neglecting your ancestors legacy to hype another man' culture. Would you allow your son drop your surname for another man' surname cos he feels urs is "uncool"?

So at your age..your father still monitors what u do

Why do u call it hype...

You just stated now all cultures are equally great. Could it just be choice or experiment

Dunlop tyre
Pirelli tyre....all the same...tyres

undecided..
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Nobody: 4:31pm On Jul 13, 2014
pickabeau1:

So at your age..your father still monitors what u do

Why do u call it hype...

You just stated now all cultures are equally great. Could it just be choice or experiment

Dunlop tyre
Pirelli tyre....all the same...tyres

undecided..

The 1st step u have to take to understand this is to get rid of the sterotype u have about some cultures being greater than others. Do u think if the Egyptians had treated their culture the way we treat ours, it ll be has celebrated has it is now. Maybe i was wrong about how i put it, i think it will be better to say "ALL CULTURES HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO BE GREAT"

2 Likes

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by pickabeau1: 4:33pm On Jul 13, 2014
Zedric:
The 1st step u have to take to understand this is to get rid of the sterotype u have about some cultures being greater than others. Do u think if the Egyptians had treated their culture the way we treat ours, it ll be has celebrated has it is now. Maybe i was wrong about how i put it, i think it will be better to say "ALL CULTURES HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO BE GREAT"

Better wink
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Nobody: 5:00pm On Jul 13, 2014
pickabeau1:

Better wink
Guess that settles it

1 Like

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by TerryCarr(m): 8:18am On Jul 14, 2014
pickabeau1:

Better wink
it seems you have an inferiority complex
https://www.nairaland.com/1811912/why-ancient-wisdom-matters-modern
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by pickabeau1: 9:33am On Jul 14, 2014
TerryCarr:
it seems you have an inferiority complex
ttp://www.nairaland.com/1811912/why-ancient-wisdom-matters-modern

Typical....

1 Like

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Nobody: 1:29pm On Jul 14, 2014
TerryCarr:
yeah grin it add diversity to the world
Like human rituals and primitive practices. Bleh! angry angry
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by kingston277(m): 10:11pm On Jul 14, 2014
TerryCarr:
the Olmecs were a stone age native civilization & Africans are iron age but anyway the viking were not "primitive"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G53no4LqsAw
Africans built ships like that all the time...

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by kingston277(m): 10:21pm On Jul 14, 2014
pickabeau1:

Not sure u been following the discussion

I asked a question n no one has answered

At what point is the change of the sub components can a culture be deemed changed

Answer this
Think about it for a second...what aspects do you think this culture changed to end up going from this

to this
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by pickabeau1: 10:23pm On Jul 14, 2014
kingston277:
Think about it...what aspects do you think this culture changed to end up going from this
[img]htp://img687.imageshack.us/img687/8789/precolonialghana3.png[/img]
to this
[img]htp://exploringafrica.matrix.msu.edu/teachers/curriculum/m24/activity2_clip_image011.jpg[/img]

What's the point of the pics

I'm sure u know that modern buildings can be designed with a cultural tint
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by kingston277(m): 10:27pm On Jul 14, 2014
pickabeau1:

For the same reason no-one has answered your question.
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by pickabeau1: 11:09pm On Jul 14, 2014
kingston277:
For the same reason no-one has answered your question.

Ok ..that's anyone's prerogative

It is mine to ask
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Nobody: 12:46pm On Jul 15, 2014
kingston277:
What's wrong with sticking with culture, seems like you need tutoring on what tradition is
https://www.nairaland.com/1796388/tradition-progress

It seems you didn't do the research. All of those people are AAs who converted to yoruba religion and are trying to spread African culture and prove a point as you said. I used him as an example of a foreigner trying to influence and promote Africa.

We simply don't like non-progressive aspects of culture which is much of western culture taught to Africa in a nutshell, read the link I posted.
If I need to do any research, I would rather do that from the source which is where the culture sprang from- NIGERIA and not from some yoruba wannabes who obviously play 'nollywood' and don't practice every thing the real yoruba's do here. As someone living in a civilized country, learn how to respect people's opinions on matters especially those that don't concern you. keep your link to yourself because you obviously need it more. Don't ever quote me on any other thread like you just did!!! If you need to prove more baseless points, relocate to any african country and live there for a good number of years, then you'll earn the right to make any suggestions or recommendation.
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Nobody: 1:10pm On Jul 15, 2014
pickabeau1:

I'm sure u know that modern buildings can be designed with a cultural tint

Just read all his baseless,contradicting and meaningless comments! He's obviously the type that likes to see africans go backwards. To even think he lives in canada (living in a white man's land and using their inventions and facilities)just makes him the biggest hypocrite ever! What a nosy impostor!
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by pickabeau1: 1:13pm On Jul 15, 2014
koyyes: Just read all his baseless,contradicting and meaningless comments! He's obviously the type that likes to see africans go backwards. To even think he lives in canada (living in a white man's land and using their inventions and facilities)just makes him the biggest hypocrite ever! What a nosy impostor!
Not sure i know much about him

However i do know that modern buldings can be improvised with cultural inspirations

In asia they use concrete and glass but u can still see the asian cultural tint
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Nobody: 1:31pm On Jul 15, 2014
pickabeau1: Not sure i know much about him

However i do know that modern buldings can be improvised with cultural inspirations

In asia they use concrete and glass but u can still see the asian cultural tint

Exactly! the chinese for example still value their culture and language even though they've embraced immense development that depicts a reasonable level of western influence. They wear suits when attending international conferences but that changes nothing. Even western countries have a high regard for them,their culture ,crafts and medicines. The world has become a global village so there is an exchange of cultures. It is inevitable! I don't just understand the message this canadian wanabe is trying to pass across-ridiculous!
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by pickabeau1: 3:54pm On Jul 15, 2014
koyyes: Exactly! the chinese for example still value their culture and language even though they've embraced immense development that depicts a reasonable level of western influence. They wear suits when attending international conferences but that changes nothing. Even western countries have a high regard for them,their culture ,crafts and medicines. The world has become a global village so there is an exchange of cultures. It is inevitable! I don't just understand the message this canadian wanabe is trying to pass across-ridiculous!

Seems you guys have some past beef smiley

Culture issues tend to be subjective however
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Fulaman198(m): 4:11pm On Jul 15, 2014
koyyes: Just read all his baseless,contradicting and meaningless comments! He's obviously the type that likes to see africans go backwards. To even think he lives in canada (living in a white man's land and using their inventions and facilities)just makes him the biggest hypocrite ever! What a nosy impostor!

That's not what Kingston is saying.

He is asking why have Africans gone backwards? They used to build buildings of greatness and today they have regressed instead of progressed. Why he is asking? Our ancestors he says were far greater in their accomplishments. That is the point of his argument.

2 Likes

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by kingston277(m): 4:57pm On Jul 15, 2014
koyyes: If I need to do any research, I would rather do that from the source which is where the culture sprang from- NIGERIA and not from some yoruba wannabes who obviously play 'nollywood' and don't practice every thing the real yoruba's do here.
You dare call Adefunmi a wannabe? Maybe you don't like reading links that directly answer your questions, but others reading this thread need the information to help make their personal, educated decisions. So I will keep posting regardless.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adefunmi

As someone living in a civilized country, learn how to respect people's opinions on matters especially those that don't concern you. keep your link to yourself because you obviously need it more. Don't ever quote me on any other thread like you just did!!! If you need to prove more baseless points, relocate to any african country and live there for a good number of years, then you'll earn the right to make any suggestions or recommendation.
I have traveled enough thank you very much. And if you think the situation in the Caribbean is different than in Africa, then you seriously need a wake-up call because shouldn't be talking down on your fellow African descendants. The imf/cia are on our governments backs too and were responsible for the downfall of the Haitian power, so I really don't appreciate your condescending tone. Plus it doesn't help your cause or ours by portraying your continent as a charity-case the way you've been going on, we all have the power to improve.

1 Like

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by kingston277(m): 7:09pm On Jul 15, 2014
koyyes: Exactly! the chinese for example still value their culture and language even though they've embraced immense development that depicts a reasonable level of western influence.
Development simply means adopting of technologies. Thats like saying the Greeks adopted Sumerian culture because the wheel came from Sumer.

I will simply ignore the rest of your baseless comments but would like to seek evidence of this "reasonable" level of western influence the Chinese allegedly possess. I noticed you skipped over Saudi Arabia too because you're well aware everything they do is Arab.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Yoruba Boys And Igbo Gals / Full List Of Past Olubadans / Abeg Who Can Teach Me Ekiti?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.