Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,117 members, 7,814,916 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:22 PM

Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue (2800 Views)

Atheism Has Ancient Roots And Is Not ‘modern Invention’, Claims New Text / My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! / Atheism Has Denominations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Nobody: 6:34pm On Jul 13, 2014
davidylan:

Not really... a ton of people are "Christians" in name only or by association only.

The old Christian argument : if they left Christianity, they weren't real Christians, or they didn't have enough faith.
A lot of people also identify as "christian" solely because they were not born Muslim.

Wrong. This is a False Dichotomy ; it is not neither Christian or Muslim, there are literally thousands of other religions. By your argument I can say that a lot of people identify as Muslims because they were not born Christian.
This is a feckless, weak argument that i hear all the time as justification for why only Christianity, and no other religion, brings out the same foaming in the mouth noise making from atheists.
Don't you read the Muslim section? You're saying atheists don't bash Islam as much as they do Christianity. I'm telling you that most atheists-the ones on NL - were former Christiana, also Mac.latunji does not hesitate to ban what he considers "blasphemy" to Islam. He banned one of my accounts till 2055 for this reason.
Tl;dr: If the atheists on NL bash Christianity more, it's because most of them were formerly Christians, and they fear the wrath of Mac.latunji.
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Nobody: 6:38pm On Jul 13, 2014
Since I know more about Christianity, it's only natural I spend more time criticising it.

After all, davidylan himself has repeatedly argued repeatedly on this forum one should only argue on things he has good knowledge of.
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Nobody: 6:39pm On Jul 13, 2014
Apatheist:
The old Christian argument : if they left Christianity, they weren't real Christians, or they didn't have enough faith.

This is not an argument as much as it is true. Most of those who claim to have once been christians do not understand what it means outside of merely bearing it as a tag of some sort. Christianity is not merely a religion, it is a personal relationship with Christ.

Apatheist:
Wrong. This is a False Dichotomy ; it is not neither Christian or Muslim, there are literally thousands of other religions. By your argument I can say that a lot of people identify as Muslims because they were not born Christian.

Exactly the point. Why then are most atheists, who claim all they stand for is a mere disbelief in God, simply fixated on christianity only? The other thousands never seem to bother them whatsoever. Cue the rehash to the "we were all former christians" trope.

Apatheist:
Don't you read the Muslim section? You're saying atheists don't bash Islam as much as they do Christianity. I'm telling you that most atheists-the ones on NL - were former Christiana, also Mac.latunji does not hesitate to ban what he considers "blasphemy" to Islam. He banned one of my accounts till 2055 for this reason.
Tl;dr: If the atheists on NL bash Christianity more, it's because most of them were formerly Christians, and they fear the wrath of Mac.latunji.

Yawn. See above.
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Nobody: 6:41pm On Jul 13, 2014
rationalmind: Since I know more about Christianity, it's only natural I spend more time criticising it.

After all, davidylan himself has repeatedly argued repeatedly on this forum one should only argue on things he has good knowledge of.

I wonder what it is you really know... outside of the fact that it is the easiest to mock and the only one that really threatens you.

See above. The circular nature of the non-arguments here has become a bore.
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Weah96: 6:45pm On Jul 13, 2014
davidylan:

and this is of relevance to the atheist because? There are many other "fictional characters"... why is this one of most importance to you that you spend a whopping amount of your time caterwauling about?

This particular character has a cult which has lobbied the government for tax exempt status. They also have their members occupying the highest levels of political office. Is your judgment that clouded by bias? What happens when someone in high office happens to hear the same thing that Abraham heard before he attempted to murder his own son? We don't use arrows and swords anymore.
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jul 13, 2014
davidylan:

I wonder what it is you really know... outside of the fact that it is the easiest to mock and the only one that really threatens you.

See above. The circular nature of the non-arguments here has become a bore.

I doubt you know half of what I know about Christianity bar the historical part.
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jul 13, 2014
Weah96:

This particular character has a cult which has lobbied the government for tax exempt status. They also have their members occupying the highest levels of political office. Is your judgment that clouded by bias? What happens when someone in high office happens to hear the same thing that Abraham heard before he attempted to murder his own son? We don't use arrows and swords anymore.

This is idiocy at its best. Welfare organizations, charities, religious organizations, even atheist organizations in the US have tax exempt status under the IRS... yes, in case you were not aware, atheist groups are also tax exempt in the USA.
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jul 13, 2014
davidylan:

This is not an argument as much as it is true. Most of those who claim to have once been christians do not understand what it means outside of merely bearing it as a tag of some sort. Christianity is not merely a religion, it is a personal relationship with Christ.

If peradventure you become an Atheist tomorrow, will you agree you were never a true christian?
rationalmind:

I doubt you know half of what I know about Christianity bar the historical part.

which is essentially what you've read off the web. Again it tells me you really know nothing... the letter doth not a christian make. the personal relationship with Christ is what counts. These are spelled out clearly in the bible. Try again.
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Nobody: 6:53pm On Jul 13, 2014
davidylan:

which is essentially what you've read off the web. Again it tells me you really know nothing... the letter doth not a christian make. the personal relationship with Christ is what counts. These are spelled out clearly in the bible. Try again.

I thought I used the word bar. Meaning except.

What I'm saying is, you don't know half of what I know about Christianity except it's history.

The history I don't know much, every other thing I know. Is that difficult to understand?
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Nobody: 6:55pm On Jul 13, 2014
rationalmind:

I thought I used the word bar. Meaning except.

What I'm saying is, you don't know half of what I know about Christianity except it's history.

The history I don't know much, every other thing I know. Is that difficult to understand?

I understood and i responded twice already. The letters of the bible are worthless to you outside of a personal relationship with Christ. The relationship is what makes you a christian... not the man-made religious rites.
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Nobody: 6:56pm On Jul 13, 2014
rationalmind:

If peradventure you become an Atheist tomorrow, will you agree you were never a true christian?

Lets not waste precious time speculating on pure irrelevancy.
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by TheBigUrban2: 7:01pm On Jul 13, 2014
davidylan:

I understood and i responded twice already. The letters of the bible are worthless to you outside of a personal relationship with Christ. The relationship is what makes you a christian... not the man-made religious rites.

So it is magic now.

Once you accept christ, the words magically mean something?

mtcheww
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Nobody: 7:08pm On Jul 13, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

So it is magic now.

Once you accept christ, the words magically mean something?

mtcheww

this is a senseless, thoughtless comment. See it this way... every nuclear family have certain words, customs that carry significant meaning among the members. To an outsider, they are just words that bear zero meaning.
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Nobody: 7:12pm On Jul 13, 2014
davidylan:

Lets not waste precious time speculating on pure irrelevancy.

Lol, its a very relevant question. If I claimed I was once a christian (in the real usage of the word) and you doubt the veracity saying I most likely never had a personal relationship with Christ and tomorrow you lose your faith only for another christian (josh for example) to say you never had a personal relationship with him, will you agree with him?
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Nobody: 7:13pm On Jul 13, 2014
rationalmind:

Lol, its a very relevant question. If I claimed I was once a christian (in the real usage of the word) and you doubt the veracity saying I most likely never had a personal relationship with Christ and tomorrow you lose your faith only for another christian (josh for example) to say you never had a personal relationship with him, will you agree with him?

Not going to happen, so why waste time speculating on such?
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Nobody: 7:14pm On Jul 13, 2014
davidylan:

I don't remember saying all I know about Christianity are letters of the bible
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by TheBigUrban2: 7:20pm On Jul 13, 2014
davidylan:

this is a senseless, thoughtless comment. See it this way... every nuclear family have certain words, customs that carry significant meaning among the members. To an outsider, they are just words that bear zero meaning.

lol....nice try but the atheists here were christians before.....meaning that they were part of the family too.

Guy, you still fail
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Nobody: 7:21pm On Jul 13, 2014
davidylan:

Not going to happen, so why waste time speculating on such?

I thought the bible made this clear.

1st corinthians 10:12(KJV)

Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall

But Let's ignore that.

It's an hypothetical question. It need not happen. You can as well give an hypothetical answer. I think the fact you've said everything but refuse to answer this question speaks volumes
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by mazaje(m): 7:21pm On Jul 13, 2014
People like davidylan keep bringing emotional arguments because he is ONLY emotionally attached to his religion. . .He does not believe in christianity because the religion is true, he only accepts it because he has been indoctrinated with it and he is emotionally attached to it. . .Most atheist here were ex christians and the christian idea of god is the only god idea they know and can argue againts, most do not even know that islam has 5 tenets, most do not know what the koran is. . .Most really know the bible. . .If someone like me was not a christian then NOBODY in the world is a christian, i TRULY BELIEVED. . .TRULY accepted what i was indoctrinated with, had a personal relationship with Jesus, I preached the word, i was a christian, if i wasn't then no body in the world was a christian, but over time i realized that it was just a man made idea and conception, nothing more. . .The Jesus story was just a made up story just like that of Moses, Abraham, Elijah, Mohammed, Buddah, Panku , Zeus and other religious figures. . . .STOP talking about people not being christians, you are not a better christian that me when i was one. . .

Most vocal atheist were former christians or lived in the west. . .They also chrticize islam ALOT, so its a lie when davidlylan says atheist don't criticize islam, here on nairaland if not for the mod on the islam section the criticism will be the same. . .

[url= http://ex-muslim.org.uk] Here[/url] is an ex muslim forum, if you go through the discussion board you will see that the islamic idea of god is what they criticize /Jesus or Yahweh gets no mention there, they use the koran when they say god does not exist. . So davidylan has no point, he is lying and he knows it. . .

1 Like

Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Nobody: 7:22pm On Jul 13, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

lol....nice try but the atheists here were christians before.....meaning that they were part of the family too.

Guy, you still fail

Read the bible... being a christian is more than a label.
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Nobody: 7:23pm On Jul 13, 2014
mazaje: People like davidylan keep bringing emotional arguments because he is ONLY emotionally attached to his religion. . .He does not believe in christianity because the religion is true, he only accepts it because he has been indoctrinated with it and he is emotionally attached to it. . .Most atheist here were ex christians and the christian idea of god is the only god idea they know and can argue againts, most do not even know that islam has 5 tenets, most do not know what the koran is. . .Most really know the bible. . .If someone like me was not a christian then NOBODY in the world is a christian, i TRULY BELIEVED. . .TRULY accepted what i was indoctrinated with, had a personal relationship with Jesus, I preached the word, i was a christian, if i wasn't then no body in the world was a christian, but over time i realized that it was just a man made idea and conception, nothing more. . .The Jesus story was just a made up story just like that of Moses, Abraham, Elijah, Mohammed, Buddah, Panku , Zeus and other religious figures. . . .STOP talking about people not being christians, you are not a better christian that me when i was one. . .

Most vocal atheist were former christians or lived in the west. . .They also chrticize islam ALOT, so its a lie when davidlylan says atheist don't criticize islam, here on nairaland if not for the mod on the islam section the criticism will be the same. . .

[url= http://ex-muslim.org.uk] Here[/url] is an ex muslim forum, if you go through the discussion board you will see that the islamic idea of god is what they criticize /Jesus or Yahweh gets no mention their, the use the koran when they say god does not exist. . So davidylan has no point, he is lying and he knows it. . .

An emotional rant... obviously fueled by deep resentment, blaming others for posting on emotions? you can't make this up... really.
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by TheBigUrban2: 7:24pm On Jul 13, 2014
davidylan:

Well, we all read the bible as christians....so you are still talking nonsense
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Nobody: 7:25pm On Jul 13, 2014
rationalmind:

I thought the bible made this clear.

1st corinthians 10:12(KJV)

Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall

But Let's ignore that.

It's an hypothetical question. It need not happen. You can as well give an hypothetical answer. I think the fact you've said everything but refuse to answer this question speaks volumes

Meh, you're really fishing desperately. It speaks no volumes other than the fact that i am not worried about losing my salvation at any time so answering that question is completely moot as far as i'm concerned. It is a question that is not interested in a fact but in pushing a preconceived point of view.
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by mazaje(m): 7:25pm On Jul 13, 2014
davidylan:

What does it take to be a christian?. . .There is NO universal definition of what a christian is. . .
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Nobody: 7:26pm On Jul 13, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

Well, we all read the bible as christians....so you are still talking nonsense

As the bible said... the letter killeth, but the Spirit, it giveth life - 2 Cor 3:6. Basic really...
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by TheBigUrban2: 7:26pm On Jul 13, 2014
davidylan:

Meh, you're really fishing desperately. It speaks no volumes other than the fact that i am not worried about losing my salvation at any time so answering that question is completely moot as far as i'm concerned. It is a question that is not interested in a fact but in pushing a preconceived point of view.

see dodging.

You must be related to anony

1 Like

Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Nobody: 7:26pm On Jul 13, 2014
mazaje:

What does it take to be a christian?. . .There is NO universal definition of what a christian is. . .

Get a bible... the definition is there.
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by TheBigUrban2: 7:28pm On Jul 13, 2014
davidylan:

As the bible said... the letter killeth, but the Spirit, it giveth life - 2 Cor 3:6. Basic really...

So you actually repeated your original useless claim?

Jeez....you're just supporting christianity for emotional and not logical reasons
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by mazaje(m): 7:28pm On Jul 13, 2014
davidylan:

An emotional rant... obviously fueled by deep resentment, blaming others for posting on emotions? you can't make this up... really.

I have debunked your baseless points, I was a christian that truly believed, if i wasn't then no body in the worls is a christian and I am VERY serious about that. . . i have given you a link to an ex muslim web forum where they only use allah and the koran when criticizing religion and the god concept, what then are you all about?. . .Every thing you have stated is false. . .
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Nobody: 7:29pm On Jul 13, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

So you actually repeated your original useless claim?

Jeez....you're just supporting christianity for emotional and not logical reasons

Another senseless comment. You asked a question, i posted the biblical response and you devolve into mewling about emotions?
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Nobody: 7:29pm On Jul 13, 2014
mazaje:

I have debunked your baseless points, I was a christian that truly believed, if i wasn't then no body in the worls is a christian and I am VERY serious about that. . . i have given you a link to an ex muslim web forum where they only use allah and the koran when criticizing religion and the god concept, what then are you all about?. . .Every thing you have stated is false. . .

Ok and? whatever floats your boat.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Book Of Enoch EXPOSED! / The Relationship Between Witchcraft And Atheism. / Whatever Happened To The Program "pastor Explain This" On Ogtv!?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.