Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,086 members, 7,814,770 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:27 PM

Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue (2799 Views)

Atheism Has Ancient Roots And Is Not ‘modern Invention’, Claims New Text / My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! / Atheism Has Denominations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Nobody: 11:09pm On Jul 13, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

Please shut up and stop spouting ignorance.
I dont know why you always make that ignorant assumption that atheists arent on the islam section

Who made the rule that christian bigotry is meant to be only discussed among friends and family? Are you alright?

I didnt make that assumption, just wondered why you bring up islamic terror when discussing reasons atheists hate christianity. Its like apples and oranges... senseless comparison.

With regard to your example of christian bigotry, the only people who really have the power to ostracize you are your family and friends... of what value would it be for me to ostracize you? that is the point... and i'm sure you could have gotten it if you just relaxed enough to actually think through the response before ejaculating thoughtlessly.
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by TheBigUrban2: 11:20pm On Jul 13, 2014
davidylan:

I didnt make that assumption, just wondered why you bring up islamic terror when discussing reasons atheists hate christianity. Its like apples and oranges... senseless comparison.

With regard to your example of christian bigotry, the only people who really have the power to ostracize you are your family and friends... of what value would it be for me to ostracize you? that is the point... and i'm sure you could have gotten it if you just relaxed enough to actually think through the response before ejaculating thoughtlessly.

Please, stop the foolishness....no one was discussing the bold with you (atheists hating on christianity). That is your paranoia.

Secondly, I see how you selectively cut out the point where I mentioned that christians would try to get me fired if they knew that I am an atheist. You did this just to run with your foolish strawman claim that only friends and family can ostracize a person.

As if one cant be ostracized and bullied at work.

Guy, sometimes I worry about your brain
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Nobody: 11:32pm On Jul 13, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

Please, stop the foolishness....no one was discussing the bold with you (atheists hating on christianity). That is your paranoia.

Secondly, I see how you selectively cut out the point where I mentioned that christians would try to get me fired if they knew that I am an atheist. You did this just to run with your foolish strawman claim that only friends and family can ostracize a person.

As if one cant be ostracized and bullied at work.

Guy, sometimes I worry about your brain

neither was that the topic/main point of my response. Your fixating on an abstract, irrelevant phrase sounds to me like a drowning man grasping desperately at straws, any straws to stay afloat.

You saying you are ostracized and bullied at work is news to me... unless you are talking about nigeria specifically. Anywhere else in the world, harassment due to religious affiliation is a serious offense and you need to speak with your boss or HR.
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by TheBigUrban2: 11:33pm On Jul 13, 2014
davidylan:

neither was that the topic/main point of my response. Your fixating on an abstract, irrelevant phrase sounds to me like a drowning man grasping desperately at straws, any straws to stay afloat.

You saying you are ostracized and bullied at work is news to me... unless you are talking about nigeria specifically. Anywhere else in the world, harassment due to religious affiliation is a serious offense and you need to speak with your boss or HR.

You very well know that I'm in Nigeria undecided
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Chrisbenogor(m): 11:47pm On Jul 13, 2014
Err let's discuss the topic na.....
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Nobody: 11:52pm On Jul 13, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

You very well know that I'm in Nigeria undecided

then that is an issue you should take up with your congressman. In serious nations, it is illegal to harass anyone with regard to religion. Infact there are many cases where open display of religious paraphernalia are banned... for example crucifix on chains. Prayer in schools are banned here in the US, opening government meetings with prayer are banned, christian businesses are sued and fined by the government for refusing to provide services to the gay community... you dont hear christians here whining about being ostracized.
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by TheBigUrban2: 12:01am On Jul 14, 2014
davidylan:

then that is an issue you should take up with your congressman. In serious nations, it is illegal to harass anyone with regard to religion. Infact there are many cases where open display of religious paraphernalia are banned... for example crucifix on chains. Prayer in schools are banned here in the US, opening government meetings with prayer are banned, christian businesses are sued and fined by the government for refusing to provide services to the gay community... you dont hear christians here whining about being ostracized.

You are very very very foolish.

I dont know if you think i have a coconut brain like the village bride you are trying to import from Nigeria to USA.

First of all, the religious bigotry is crazy in Nigeria. Comparing it to the USA and indirectly telling me to stop whining does not help solve the issue.

Secondly, religion has no place in government or in public schools. So please, you and your christian bigots have no reason to whine about oppression or being ostracized in the USA.

Secondly, if your christian business receives subsidies from the federal government, it then has to abide by the rules of the fed government relating to those subsidies. For instance, taking healthcare subsidies from govt and then ridiculously trying to not provide contraceptives for women.

Thirdly, a business can not refuse a customer based on sexuality or race.
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Nobody: 12:03am On Jul 14, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

You are very very very foolish.

I dont know if you think i have a coconut brain like the village bride you are trying to import from Nigeria to USA.

First of all, the religious bigotry is crazy in Nigeria. Comparing it to the USA and indirectly telling me to stop whining does not help solve the issue.

Secondly, religion has no place in government or in public schools. So please, you and your christian bigots have no reason to whine about oppression or being ostracized in the USA.

Secondly, if your christian business receives subsidies from the federal government, it then has to abide by the rules of the fed government relating to those subsidies. For instance, taking healthcare subsidies from govt and then ridiculously trying to not provide contraceptives for women.

Thirdly, a business can not refuse a customer based on sexuality or race.

I thought i had addressed this in my first line - take up the issue with your congressman. That is what sane people in civilized countries do rather than crying piteously on the web.
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by TheBigUrban2: 12:07am On Jul 14, 2014
davidylan:

I thought i had addressed this in my first line - take up the issue with your congressman. That is what sane people in civilized countries do rather than crying piteously on the web.

Take it to congressman in Nigeria? That is your solution?

I didnt know that you were this unreasonable grin grin grin grin grin

==================
Note; I am not crying on the web....rather, raising awareness on nairaland.
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Nobody: 12:30am On Jul 14, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

Take it to congressman in Nigeria? That is your solution?

I didnt know that you were this unreasonable grin grin grin grin grin

==================
Note; I am not crying on the web....rather, raising awareness on nairaland.

Well nigeria is a democracy isnt it? and you're represented in congress by someone right? I mean, its the way anti-discriminatory laws have been passed in other countries... why shouldnt that solution work for you? What others do you have in mind? Killing all christians?
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by TheBigUrban2: 12:33am On Jul 14, 2014
davidylan:

Well nigeria is a democracy isnt it? and you're represented in congress by someone right? I mean, its the way anti-discriminatory laws have been passed in other countries... why shouldnt that solution work for you? What others do you have in mind? Killing all christians?

undecided

Just admit that you have no solutions
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Nobody: 12:37am On Jul 14, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

undecided

Just admit that you have no solutions

just admit that solutions are not what interest you... just posting to save face.
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Weah96: 3:32am On Jul 14, 2014
davidylan:

This is idiocy at its best. Welfare organizations, charities, religious organizations, even atheist organizations in the US have tax exempt status under the IRS... yes, in case you were not aware, atheist groups are also tax exempt in the USA.

I don't know of any special tax breaks for atheist organizations. Mind posting a link to your source? Unlike churches, charity organizations are not in business to make a profit. Why are churches earning income without paying taxes?
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Weah96: 3:39am On Jul 14, 2014
davidylan:
That is what sane people in civilized countries do rather than crying piteously on the web.

You're on the web, incessantly defending your creator. The one with the unlimited power, that is. Why are you here?

2 Likes

Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by FOLYKAZE(m): 7:13am On Jul 14, 2014
davidylan:

so in short, we've just got a bunch of confused souls here? Ok.

Why do you choose to have headache because of my worldview?
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Nobody: 10:49pm On Jul 14, 2014
TheBigUrban2: What is atheism

1)A disbelief in God?
2)A lack of theism?
3)A belief that God doesnt exist (or there is no God)

These three definitions have very different meanings.

The 3rd definition clearly implies that God doesnt exist- which would eliminate agnostics and "weak atheists"
The 2nd definition clearly implies that it is just a lack of belief- which would include babies, agnostic and all atheists
The 1st defintion clearly implies a positive disbelief- which would exclude babies (but still includes agnostics and atheists)

Another confusing issue is the fact that the word "atheism" shouldnt exist considering the fact that there is no word for those who do not believe in the toothfairy or unicorns.

The atheist/agnostic divide is another confusing issue. Agnostics are atheists in the sense that they also lack a belief in God (definition no 2).

Another confusing issue is that atheists can be religious despite atheism not being a religion. Buddhism is an atheistic religion according to some of its sects.

There is only one type of atheism, there cannot be two. Theists have many sects, but an atheist can have no sect. For a true atheist once the declaration is made “there is no God” the whole shebang is finished, there are no other possibilities. A true atheist transcends “unbelief” and encounters the supreme doctrine of…”no doctrine”

A true atheist realises that all religions without exception are lies, because they do not change you. It makes no difference whether you are Moslem, Christian, Hindu or Idol worshipper, the real person behind the Moslem, Hindu or Christian remains the same, the façade remains the same. Only the faces differ, and they are faces which are false, they are masks. Behind the masks rest the same man, the same anger, greed, lust, aggression, the same violence. The reality remains the same, only the faces and the clothes differ.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by AlfaSeltzer(m): 11:57pm On Jul 14, 2014
dis tread never die?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by TheBigUrban2: 6:14am On Jul 15, 2014
Sarassin:

There is only one type of atheism, there cannot be two. Theists have many sects, but an atheist can have no sect. For a true atheist once the declaration is made “there is no God” the whole shebang is finished, there are no other possibilities. A true atheist transcends “unbelief” and encounters the supreme doctrine of…”no doctrine”

A true atheist realises that all religions without exception are lies, because they do not change you. It makes no difference whether you are Moslem, Christian, Hindu or Idol worshipper, the real person behind the Moslem, Hindu or Christian remains the same, the façade remains the same. Only the faces differ, and they are faces which are false, they are masks. Behind the masks rest the same man, the same anger, greed, lust, aggression, the same violence. The reality remains the same, only the faces and the clothes differ.

My guy, stop and think.

There is no such thing as a "true atheist". You are falling into the "no true scotman fallacy"
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by TheBigUrban2: 6:14am On Jul 15, 2014
AlfaSeltzer: dis tread never die?

Satan cant stop us.

He doesnt exist
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by Nobody: 8:51am On Jul 15, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

My guy, stop and think.

There is no such thing as a "true atheist". You are falling into the "no true scotman fallacy"

No problem, point taken.
Shouldn't your's read "Scotsman"?
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by IdiatFF(f): 8:55am On Jul 15, 2014
I still find it difficult to believe that some people just decided, for whatever reason(s), to believe that THERE IS NO GOD. With all the obvious of his presence around us, all his signs abounding on earth? Really what then do Atheists believe in, humanism? Humanism is of God!
I really wish to meet an atheist either online or offline, I want to understand what is not clear to him/her of God's presence.
Note: I am a MUSLIM.
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by TheBigUrban2: 9:21am On Jul 15, 2014
Sarassin:

No problem, point taken.
Shouldn't your's read "Scotsman"?

Yes, you are right- it is "scotsman"
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by TheBigUrban2: 9:22am On Jul 15, 2014
IdiatFF: I still find it difficult to believe that some people just decided, for whatever reason(s), to believe that THERE IS NO GOD. With all the obvious of his presence around us, all his signs abounding on earth? Really what then do Atheists believe in, humanism? Humanism is of God!
I really wish to meet an atheist either online or offline, I want to understand what is not clear to him/her of God's presence.
Note: I am a MUSLIM.

Lol.......just look at the north of Nigeria. Is it atheists that are bombing the country?

Belief in God or disbelief in God doesnt matter. What matters is how the person acts on the bleief
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by ooman(m): 3:38pm On Jul 15, 2014
davidylan:

and this is of relevance to the atheist because? There are many other
"fictional characters"... why is this one of most importance to you that
you spend a whopping amount of your time caterwauling about?

your posts always show lack of thought. do your math and you'd see
xtianity has more fans than other religions, its the dominant religion.
so destroy xtianity and you'd have a good strike down of other religion
because same arguments that destroy one religion destroy all religions.
so fight one, you fight all.

so dont worry, when your religion gets struck down, other religions will
follow.
Re: Atheism Has No Definition....a Very Confusing Issue by TheBigUrban2: 6:39pm On Jul 17, 2014
ooman:

your posts always show lack of thought. do your math and you'd see
xtianity has more fans than other religions, its the dominant religion.
so destroy xtianity and you'd have a good strike down of other religion
because same arguments that destroy one religion destroy all religions.
so fight one, you fight all.

so dont worry, when your religion gets struck down, other religions will
follow.

lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

See What This Pastor Is Doing With This Woman (video) / Apostle Arome Osayi Storms Abeokuta / Love Life Of Athiests And Agnostics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.