Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,363 members, 7,812,036 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:52 AM

Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective - Health (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective (20573 Views)

Ebola: Nigeria Reaches Out To U.S. For Experimental Drug; NMA Sets Up Committee / Nma Strike, The Nurses' Perspective. / JOHESU Press Release on the NMA STRIKE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by timowale: 2:05am On Jul 16, 2014
All comments are merely accusations and counter accusations.truth be told,a level playground should be set for all practitioners in the health industry to showcase proficiency in their chosen fields, in order to impact on the patients positively.
Each practitioner should seek to be best in a particular field. trying to be best in another person's field,is quite unthinkable.
whichever professional thinks and crave superiority should prove it by their
competencies and expertise on their job not in castigating ,blackmailing of other professional...these i see as barbaric and in no way in the interest of patients and of the nation

4 Likes

Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by allycat: 3:59am On Jul 16, 2014
Please educate me, which lab test do I need to diagnose Otitis media with effusion, Ca Larynx, Tonsillities, Sensorineural hearing loss, Tinnitus or epistaxis. These are a few conditions I see everyday and I make my diagnosis based on clinical findings alone. I then investigate my patients to rule out contributing factors but these investigations do not in anyway make my diagnosis for me.

1 Like

Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by Morotov1(m): 4:52am On Jul 16, 2014
phantom: grin grin......
oga the person in my illustration is male.
secondly it presents mainly with pruritis.jaundice is uncommon.
of course there is a need for all those tests you mentioned.
but my point is that if a pregnant lady presents to me with intense itching and NO jaundice after 25wks,then ICP is my likely diagnosis which is made first ,THEN I SEND HER FOR LABWORK TO CONFIRM MY DIAGNOSIS.
so even before lab work,I have a working diagnosis.
Who says jaundice is uncommon in obstetrics cholestasis and that it occurs only after 25 weeks of gestation,it can occur anytime during pregnancy. Please update your textbooks. And even if your patient is either male or female, you will have a list of differential diagnosis that you have to rule out.
Not all jaundice with itching is post hepatic. WHAT ABOUT BRIC- benign recurrent intrahepatic cholestasis.
Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by lexib(m): 5:00am On Jul 16, 2014
A doctor shd be d CMD... can't imagine a nurse or lab scientist heading doctors in a hospital... the hospital is the primary place of work for Doctors and Nurses... other professionals are ancilliary or support staffs... the primary place of work for a Lab. Scientist is a Medical Research laboratory best within in a University whr dey shd make reagents n improve on available analytical procedures, serve as a control for hospital-based routine labs... d govt shd look into dat, dey r to head such places n not fight for headship with doctors in hospitals...

the primary place of work for pharmacists shd be in Pharmaceutical companies... if d govt dsnt own any, it means d country has bin importing drugs or using those produced by private firms or both... d pharmacist shd head here, dia job in d hospital z supportive n not frontline as in these companies.

the physiotherapist shd run a Rehabilitation Home... etc.

the frontline hospital staffs are Doctors and Nurses n only these two can talk about headship... buh Nurses take oaths within which they say "With loyalty, I shall ASSIST the PHYSICIAN in the performance of HIS job"... Nightangle pledge. I dnt fink Nurses insist on also bcoming CMD, most importantly, Doctors shd respect dem n carry them along.

SO, WHERE IS ALL THIS JOHESU THING COMING FROM

4 Likes

Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by lexib(m): 5:01am On Jul 16, 2014
Morotov1: Who says jaundice is uncommon in obstetrics cholestasis and that it occurs only after 25 weeks of gestation,it can occur anytime during pregnancy. Please update your textbooks. And even if your patient is either male or female, you will have a list of differential diagnosis that you have to rule out.
Not all jaundice with itching is post hepatic. WHAT ABOUT BRIC- benign recurrent intrahepatic cholestasis.

Sharrap there! These r d type dat fail exams
anyhow... u don come for Nairaland dey ginger...
go n release all dat stuff in a wardround let's c
how much u know... Nonsense!
Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by Samgreguc(m): 5:01am On Jul 16, 2014
phantom: grin grin.........lab scientist........ itching in a patient with jaundice is most likely post hepatic. I don't need your bilurubin levels to distinguish...grin...its not magic.its just my training.
if I don't see the bilirubin levels expected in post hepatic jaundice, then I will query your result.
dont make comments when you shouldn't.
u said most likely meaning there is an atom of doubt. grin
Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by Samgreguc(m): 5:02am On Jul 16, 2014
Iwegbadu:

Do doctors know its fake isnt it pharmacist job to make original yall busy embezzling money
lol. . . The Pharmacist play a very very vital role indeed.

1 Like

Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by Morotov1(m): 5:09am On Jul 16, 2014
phantom: my brother I don't like arguing with someone who DELIBERATELY decides to MISS MY POINT...grin
look as a doctor, I don't rely on the lab work for my diagnoses. I already have one before I send for CONFIRMATORY lab work.
if I am in a rural area with out a lab or radiological center,I can go ahead and treat my patients based on clinical findings.
if you can't understand this then I can't help you.i dont have the time to draw pictures for you.no need going round and round in circles.
You don't want to get sued for that clinical findings, using it alone to diagnose. Rurall centres has limits. Do you know and read about Nigerian referral system?
Working without Lab work is an archaic way of practicing medicine, it has been revolutionarised to evidence based medicine.
Doctors who knows their onion don't practice like these, even rural populace has started requesting for test to find out what is wrong with them.

1 Like

Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by Morotov1(m): 5:18am On Jul 16, 2014
lexib:

Sharrap there! These r d type dat fail exams
anyhow... u don come for Nairaland dey ginger...
go n release all dat stuff in a wardround let's c
how much u know... Nonsense!
Refute these or keep quiet.
I am a college dropout .....fine
Failed the MB exams but got to O&G posting......fine
I failed JAMB ........fine
I don't have time for mediocrities, we learn everyday and I won't descend to your level of reasoning because it won't add to my knowledge.
So if there is nothing you might wanna add to the discussion then I advice you kindly back out. Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by lexib(m): 5:27am On Jul 16, 2014
Morotov1: You don't want to get sued for that clinical findings, using it alone to diagnose. Rurall centres has limits. Do you know and read about Nigerian referral system?
Working without Lab work is an archaic way of practicing medicine, it has been revolutionarised to evidence based medicine.
Doctors who knows their onion don't practice like these, even rural populace has started requesting for test to find out what is wrong with them.

u sound like lab tests z all n all... we hv very regular incidences whr lab result state resistance to a certain drug which may hv bin started empirically, yet d patient is getting fine... on some occasions patient may hv taken over the counter antibiotics whc will suppress pathogens below the limit of detection n lab test would say d patient is fine, but d doctor uses his clinical accumen n prescribe a more appropriate drug based on d presentation of the patient n d most probable causative organism... also, for enteric fever, definitive test is d culture in blood, urine or stool at abt d 2nd, 3rd n 4th wks respectively (not d spurious widal test), so wud u sit n wait till 2nd wk of d illness to do a blood culture, wen d patient is dying infront of u... or do u talk abt lab tests b4 intervening in a patient with a medical emergency? ...... I can give u 20 instances whr lab findings fall short of diagnostic value

U CAN'T JUST GO FINKING ITS ALL ABOUT LAB TESTS

1 Like

Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by lexib(m): 5:30am On Jul 16, 2014
Samgreguc:
u said most likely meaning there is an atom of doubt. grin

Doctors never use terms like, "always", "never", etc. U most put in a certain level of suspicion... "Most likely" implies it is it until proven otherwise.
Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by lexib(m): 5:37am On Jul 16, 2014
A doctor shd be d CMD... can't imagine a nurse
or lab scientist heading doctors in a hospital...
the hospital is the primary place of work for
Doctors and Nurses... other professionals are
ancilliary or support staffs... the primary place of
work for a Lab. Scientist is a Medical Research
laboratory best within in a University whr dey shd
make reagents n improve on available analytical
procedures, serve as a control for hospital-based
routine labs, carry out researches dat advance medical practice (dats why dey r scientists)... d govt shd look into dat, dey r to
head such places n not fight for headship with
doctors in hospitals, or call demsefs "scientists" wen all dey do is feed samples into auto-analysers (machines) and read out d results...

the primary place of work for pharmacists shd be
in Pharmaceutical companies... if d govt dsnt own
any, it means d country has bin importing drugs
or using those produced by private firms or
both... d pharmacist shd head here, dia job in d
hospital z supportive n not frontline as in these
companies... in hospitals, dey stock n dispense drugs, n r involved in patient drug counselling... dey dnt nid to review patient drug mgt for wen physicians are in doubt, dey invite the Therapeutic n toxicology team of Physicians for a review... Consultant pharmacists in foriegn climes are not hospital-based staffs...

the physiotherapist shd run a Rehabilitation
Home... etc.
the frontline hospital staffs are Doctors and
Nurses n only these two can talk about
headship... buh Nurses take oaths within which
they say "With loyalty, I shall ASSIST the
PHYSICIAN in the performance of HIS job"...
Nightangle pledge. I dnt fink Nurses insist on also
bcoming CMD, most importantly, Doctors shd
respect dem n carry them along.
SO, WHERE IS ALL THIS JOHESU THING COMING
FROM

3 Likes

Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by Oduduwaboy(m): 5:46am On Jul 16, 2014
Morotov1: Who says jaundice is uncommon in obstetrics cholestasis and that it occurs only after 25 weeks of gestation,it can occur anytime during pregnancy. Please update your textbooks. And even if your patient is either male or female, you will have a list of differential diagnosis that you have to rule out.
Wannabe !
Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by Samgreguc(m): 5:57am On Jul 16, 2014
lexib:

Doctors never use terms like, "always", "never", etc. U most put in a certain level of suspicion... "Most likely" implies it is it until proven otherwise.
dnt try using words to make the MLScientist useless cos, u myt b making the Pathologist useless also grin

2 Likes

Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by Morotov1(m): 6:15am On Jul 16, 2014
lexib:

u sound like lab tests z all n all... we hv very regular incidences whr lab result state resistance to a certain drug which may hv bin started empirically, yet d patient is getting fine... on some occasions patient may hv taken over the counter antibiotics whc will suppress pathogens below the limit of detection n lab test would say d patient is fine, but d doctor uses his clinical accumen n prescribe a more appropriate drug based on d presentation of the patient n d most probable causative organism... also, for enteric fever, definitive test is d culture in blood, urine or stool at abt d 2nd, 3rd n 4th wks respectively (not d spurious widal test), so wud u sit n wait till 2nd wk of d illness to do a blood culture, wen d patient is dying infront of u... or do u talk abt lab tests b4 intervening in a patient with a medical emergency? ...... I can give u 20 instances whr lab findings fall short of diagnostic value

U CAN'T JUST GO FINKING ITS ALL ABOUT LAB TESTS
No, I am not thinking that please, in the wworld of evidenced based medicine you can't say absolute without investigations. Then comes the physicians intellectual acumen to discern and sieve out the likely and possible diagnosis, which can't be done with only clinical findings even malaria as somebody wrote has been mimicked.

If defensive medicine is being practice where you reside ,where every of your activities is scrutinized by attorneys then you will know the importance of Lab and other investigations.

2 Likes

Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by lexib(m): 6:23am On Jul 16, 2014
Morotov1: No, I am not thinking that please, in the wworld of evidenced based medicine you can't say absolute without investigations. Then comes the physicians intellectual acumen to discern and sieve out the likely and possible diagnosis, which can't be done with only clinical findings even malaria as somebody wrote has been mimicked.

If defensive medicine is being practice where you reside ,where every of your activities is scrutinized by attorneys then you will know the importance of Lab and other investigations.

U r obviously not interested in logical reasoning... I wnt want to argue illogically wif u cos u'll flaw me in dat realm...

2 Likes

Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by Morotov1(m): 6:27am On Jul 16, 2014
lexib: A doctor shd be d CMD... can't imagine a nurse
or lab scientist heading doctors in a hospital...
the hospital is the primary place of work for
Doctors and Nurses... other professionals are
ancilliary or support staffs... the primary place of
work for a Lab. Scientist is a Medical Research
laboratory best within in a University whr dey shd
make reagents n improve on available analytical
procedures, serve as a control for hospital-based
routine labs, carry out researches dat advance medical practice (dats why dey r scientists)... d govt shd look into dat, dey r to
head such places n not fight for headship with
doctors in hospitals, or call demsefs "scientists" wen all dey do is feed samples into auto-analysers (machines) and read out d results...

the primary place of work for pharmacists shd be
in Pharmaceutical companies... if d govt dsnt own
any, it means d country has bin importing drugs
or using those produced by private firms or
both... d pharmacist shd head here, dia job in d
hospital z supportive n not frontline as in these
companies... in hospitals, dey stock n dispense drugs, n r involved in patient drug counselling... dey dnt nid to review patient drug mgt for wen physicians are in doubt, dey invite the Therapeutic n toxicology team of Physicians for a review... Consultant pharmacists in foriegn climes are not hospital-based staffs...

the physiotherapist shd run a Rehabilitation
Home... etc.
the frontline hospital staffs are Doctors and
Nurses n only these two can talk about
headship... buh Nurses take oaths within which
they say "With loyalty, I shall ASSIST the
PHYSICIAN in the performance of HIS job"...
Nightangle pledge. I dnt fink Nurses insist on also
bcoming CMD, most importantly, Doctors shd
respect dem n carry them along.
SO, WHERE IS ALL THIS JOHESU THING COMING
FROM
You're writeup is good.
Nurses no longer swear by that line of Nightingale oath, according to them it has been modified to include collaboration with other health practitioners.
Same way Hippocratic oath was modified and allegiance to all the Greek gods mentioned remove.
Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by Morotov1(m): 6:37am On Jul 16, 2014
lexib:

U r obviously not interested in logical reasoning... I wnt want to argue illogically wif u cos u'll flaw me in dat realm...
What is logical in citing examples of where lab result failed and then with your trial and error methods patient became okay.
Don't expect me to respond the way you want to prove your point.
Thought I will learn something new but just like the rest, it is quite unfortunate indeed.
Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by Morotov1(m): 6:40am On Jul 16, 2014
Oduduwaboy:
Wannabe !
Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by Morotov1(m): 6:40am On Jul 16, 2014
Oduduwaboy:
Wannabe !
Yeah, I failed fifth MB but I learnt about all that before I became an auxiliary doctor.
Can you beat that.
Old and Stale.
Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by Nobody: 7:20am On Jul 16, 2014
allycat: Please educate me, which lab test do I need to diagnose Otitis media with effusion, Ca Larynx, Tonsillities, Sensorineural hearing loss, Tinnitus or epistaxis. These are a few conditions I see everyday and I make my diagnosis based on clinical findings alone. I then investigate my patients to rule out contributing factors but these investigations do not in anyway make my diagnosis for me.

Guess you've never heard of ear swab investigation and Antibiogram sensitivity testing in otitis media.
Of course you know everything a Scientist knows.

I applaude you.
Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by lexib(m): 7:37am On Jul 16, 2014
GentleMimi:
If he already knows what he is expecting,why proceed with the request? If u query a lab result showing malaria,it indicates u do not really know what u are doing. Don't u know many Nigerians are asymptomatic parasite carriers? Using QBC to investigate for MP,u'll find it in virtually 70% of Nigerians,with only half being sypmtomatic.
Sending a request for Serum bilirubin to investigate jaundice will not only tell u if it is a jaundiced patient,but will also point out if its hepatic,prehapatic or post hepatic. Now,why the hell will u get a malaria test result when u requested for jaundice test(SB,urobilinogen)? It only means u got confused at a certain point.
Query indeed. You prolly work in a clinic that employed the services of technicians and SLTs whom u pay peanuts. That is when u can come out to tell us u can ''query'' a result.

Mr. "Scientist"... What research hv u carried out b4... changing name from technician to scientist is not just enough... be an actual scientist.
Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by dakotchic(f): 8:18am On Jul 16, 2014
YourHealthlabs:

Guess you've never heard of ear swab investigation and Antibiogram sensitivity in otitis media.
Of course you know everything a Scientist knows.
I applaude you.

Ignorance exposed again! Who told you an ear swab is done for otitis media with effusion? Or that it is treated with antibiotics? I reiterate, if we all understood the meaning of these terms we are fighting for then there won't be any fight ab initio by either party

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by dakotchic(f): 8:27am On Jul 16, 2014
I sincerely think the problem, besides the epidemic Nigerian factor, lies with the training of most of these allied health workers. If your teachers make it known that you are not superior, equal or inferior to doctors then all these problems won't even arise. Every specialty is unique, special and different. If you like to be a doctor with all the risks of failing, growing old before graduating, extremely long work hours etc fine, and ofcourse a chance at being cmd, lucky u! If u want to be a nurse with the joys of graduating really young, earning well, still have a lot of time for the pleasures of life fine, and ofcourse chance of being the head matron or ADNS with its plentiful pecks, lucky u too! Everyone has a price to pay and if that is not being CMD and consultants in the hospital, y'all better move on!
Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by GentleMimi: 8:27am On Jul 16, 2014
lexib:

Mr. "Scientist"... What research hv u carried out b4... changing name from technician to scientist is not just enough... be an actual scientist.
It is a ''Miss'',young man.
Research: lol! Are you living in a bubble? Or just being pseudo-smart?

I'm sure u are aware that full research requires further training and finance. Can your country make it available for all teaching hospitals? Even the professors with doctorates and federal grants find it difficult to carry out research with the limited resources and little or no encouragement,yet u want scientists to do it for u for free,so ur CMD will beat his chest and boast of progress. Lol! If u want research,pay for it.
Let it be known that the primary and basic function of a scientist is ''diagnosis''. Research is secondary. Yes,we carry out research. There is a research lab at the council and NIMR,Yaba.

As for the nomenclature,there are medical technicians,assistants and scientists. Google about the different professions. You aint paying me for educating u.
phantom: I give up. trying to make you see my point is akin to fetching water with a basket.
best regards.
Oh,i get your point alright. cheesy but it is as lame as soggy spaghetti.
You are an independent entity that can take care of his patient without input from any other. You already know the problem once u have a chat with them. I mean,singlehandedly. You'll look at them and know if its a mere UTI,rather than renal Dx,or if infertility is due to the man's azospermia,rather than the woman's hormonal imbalance...or chest pain and tightening due to CHD rather than a hundred other possible reasons....or if it is prostatic cancer rather than infection.,.
Mini mini mani mo...guess guess,rule out..lol.

5 Likes

Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by Nobody: 8:30am On Jul 16, 2014
dakotchic:

Ignorance exposed again! Who told you an ear swab is done for otitis media with effusion? Or that it is treated with antibiotics? I reiterate, if we all understood the meaning of these terms we are fighting for then there won't be any fight ab initio by either party

Knowledge is a few keystrokes away.

-----> www.muschealth.com/lab/content.aspx?id=150486
Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by phantom(m): 8:35am On Jul 16, 2014
grin grin........it so obvious why you are a lab scientist and not a doctor.please let's not take this discussion further.best regards.
Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by Nobody: 8:42am On Jul 16, 2014
Morotov1: No, I am not thinking that please, in the wworld of evidenced based medicine you can't say absolute without investigations. Then comes the physicians intellectual acumen to discern and sieve out the likely and possible diagnosis, which can't be done with only clinical findings even malaria as somebody wrote has been mimicked.

If defensive medicine is being practice where you reside ,where every of your activities is scrutinized by attorneys then you will know the importance of Lab and other investigations .

The last paragraph is so full of truth.
Nigerian Attorneys should get fully involved in medico-legal issues with the right legal framework.
Lots of patient's relatives and law-firms have become rich from suing hospitals and scrutinizing erring physicians in advanced countries. The fear of a subpoena is the beginning of wisdom for many Western physicians and hospital.
Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by armadeo(m): 8:52am On Jul 16, 2014
God bless the Google guys.
Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by Morotov1(m): 8:52am On Jul 16, 2014
phantom: grin grin........it so obvious why you are a lab scientist and not a doctor.please let's not take this discussion further.best regards.
You've been trying to find out what I am,so you can ridicule and discredit my post as usual, sorry to burst your bubble.....I am not a Lab scientist...okay.
I don't argue passionately about the professions as you guys do because I belong to neither of the professions.
Best regards too.

1 Like

Re: Nma Strike: The Patients's Perspective by Nobody: 8:58am On Jul 16, 2014
lexib:

Nigerian Scientists and i mean MLScientists have developed testing system and protocols for investigating endemic diseases especially in parasitemia. Do your research oga Doctor,Scientist, prof, Engr., Astronaut lexib. Na you be all.
grin

You can also carry placards and protest against Nigerian Constitution for addressing them as 'Scientists' or better still make it the 25th issue on your demands. It's not too late. Greedy allo-man.
grin

----->http://www.mlscn.gov.ng/files/
mlscn_docs/MLSCN_ACT.pdf

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Coronavirus Testing: Lagos Creates 20 Centres, FCT Combs Residents’ Houses / COVID-19 Update For October 6 2020 In Nigeria - (4,419 Tested) / Bill Gates Attests To Nigeria Transformation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.