Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,343 members, 7,819,205 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:44 PM

Random Facts About Ebonyi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Random Facts About Ebonyi (33154 Views)

Pictures : Random Pictures Of The Nigerian Air-force / Oil Lesson101: 1st Oil Well In Nigeria! Ebonyi State! / Maiduguri: Soldiers Kill 23 Civilians At Random After Bomb Blast (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Random Facts About Ebonyi by passion007: 3:14pm On Jul 21, 2014
Akanu Ibiam
Akanu Ibiam (1906–1995) was a distinguished medical missionary who was appointed Governor of Eastern Region, Nigeria from December 1960 until January 1966 during the Nigerian First Republic.[1] From 1919 to 1951, he was known as Francis Ibiam, and from 1951 to 1967, Sir Francis Ibiam.
Following the war, Ibiam continued work on reconstruction and hospital service. Ibiam was responsible for the Bible Society of Nigeria and the Christian Medical Fellowship. He became a president of the All Africa Conference of Churches.[3]

Ibiam died in December 1995. More than 20,000 people attended his funeral in Unwana.[8] The Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu, the Akanu Ibiam Federal Polytechnic, Unwana, Ebonyi State, and the Francis Akanu Ibiam stadium University of Nigeria, Nsukka are named after him.

John Ogbu:
Born in the village of Umudome in Ebonyi State, John Uzo Ogbu (May 9, 1939 – 20 August 2003) was a Nigerian-American anthropologist and professor known for his theories on observed phenomena involving race and intelligence, especially how race and ethnic differences played out in educational and economic achievement. He suggested that being a "caste-like minority" affects motivation and achievement, depressing IQ scores. He also concluded that some students did poorly because high achievement was considered "acting white" among their peers. Ogbu was also involved in the 1996 controversy surrounding the use of African American Vernacular English in public schools in Oakland, California. The 2000 book Eminent Educators: Studies in Intellectual Influence focused on him as one of "four intellectual giants of the 20th century."
He died in 2003 after suffering from a post-surgery heart attack at the Kaiser Permanente Oakland Medical Center. He is survived by his wife, Marcellina Ada Ogbu, and his children Elizabeth, Nnanna, Grace, Cecilia, and Christina. He was buried in Nigeria.

Prince Nick Mbarga
Prince Nico Mbarga (1 January 1950 – 24 June 1997) was a highlife musician, born to a Nigerian mother and a Cameroonian father in Abakaliki, Nigeria. He is renowned for his hit song "Sweet Mother", recorded with his band Rocafil Jazz.
Although he only recorded one significant hit, "Sweet Mother," in 1976, which sold more than 13 million copies (and which is recognised as one of Africa's greatest songs), Mbarga played an important role in the evolution of African popular music. With his soulful vocals set to the light melodies of his acoustic guitar, Mbarga created a unique hybrid of Igbo and Congolese guitar playing and uplifting highlife rhythms. He formed his own group, Rocafil Jazz, to perform regularly at the Plaza Hotel in the eastern Nigerian city of Onitsha.

After releasing a disappointing single in 1973, Mbarga and Rocafil Jazz had their first success with their second single, I No Go Marry My Papa, which became a regional hit. The band's inability to break past their local following resulted in their recording contract being dropped by EMI, a decision that proved ill-fortuned when the band signed with Rogers All Stars, a Nigerian recording company based in Onitsha, and recorded "Sweet Mother".[1]

Sung in Pidgin English, "Sweet Mother" became one of the top sellers in the history of Nigerian music. In the six years that Mbarga and Rocafil Jazz remained with Rogers All Stars, 1975 to 1981, they recorded nine albums.

2 Likes

Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by passion007: 3:26pm On Jul 21, 2014
Nollywood

Grace Amah: The Ebonyi born actress started her career in 1999 but came into limelight after she featured in a TV drama series ‘Superstory’ and she has featured in many movies.

Chacha Eke

Chita Agwu: The delectable actress is well known for her sexy Igbo dialect in the Igbo blockbuster Adaure'. She also presents a breakfast show on Africa Magic "Akanchawa"

Diamond Adaeze Igwe

1 Like

Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by passion007: 3:32pm On Jul 21, 2014
Sinach
Sinach (born Osinachi Kalu)[1][2] is an award winning musical artist who has written more than 200 songs.

Angela Okorie
Ex-Delta soap beauty and actress, Angela Okorie, hails from Ishiagu.

4 Likes

Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by passion007: 3:43pm On Jul 21, 2014
Okposi

For a living, the Okposi have two major occupations: farming (which is strictly reserved for the men), and salt-production (which is under proscription in favor of the women). In the past, these two occupations made Okposi self-supporting and contented. The situation was such that even the presence of roads and waterways “did not seem to have engendered the habits of travel” in them (Waddington 1933: 4).
It is obvious from the position of the town that her alluvial soils would be rich. Yam farming, became so highly developed that a piece of land was under cultivation every year. Five months after yams are harvested, the land was cleared for planting the alternative crop – cocoyam. Nowadays, it is cassava that is alternated with yams. This attachment to yams continues now in spite of a boost in rice farming.

On earth the most important deity is the “Ani” whose totem is “Aka,” a particularly harmless green snake.

With yams always in the barn and salt and oil in pots, Okposi hospitality became proverbial. Though the people love themselves, they will defend any visitor to the same extent they would defend a close relation. They will not, however, take kindly to anyone who takes their kindness for foolishness.
Social life is always enlivened by the monthly festivals and sometimes by a number of title taking ceremonies. Almost all these titles are connected with achievement in yam farming. The highest of them, “Ikwa odju,” which confers on the title holder the name “Onyiba” could cost up to five hundred pounds, dating back to 1933. (Waddington 13).
The Okposi are externally humble but internally proud. They would do anything to defend their prestige. Fighting ensues almost immediately in any circumstance in which an Okposi man is called a thief. Murder is the town’s highest offence and it carries capital punishment. In any of the eight broad divisions, any man who goes to bed with another’s wife commits adultery and is excluded from ritual ceremonies for life. Before the coming of the white man, he was stoned to death while kleptomaniacs were hanged.

6 Likes

Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by passion007: 3:51pm On Jul 21, 2014
Nkwa Umuagbogho (The Maidens' Dance)occupies a pride of place as one of best cultural dance groups in Africa. The group was founded in 1970 by Chief Vincent Omeri Nwachi from Ndibe, Afikpo, Ebonyi State in Nigeria.
Nkwa Umuagbogho Dance Group has won a host of local, national and international merit awards dating back to 1972 when the group beat hundreds of competing dance groups to win First Place at the All Nigeria Festival of Arts and Culture. Other awards – dozens of them – soon followed in rapid succession.
Founder of Nkwa Umuagbogho Dance Group, Chief Vincent Omeri Nwachi
Chief Vincent Omeri Nwachi, Founder of Nkwa Umuagbogho Dance Group and recipient of the United Nations Living Legends Award
This winning streak has continued till date. More recently, the group (which is now led by Mr. Godwin Emeka Omeri, son of Chief Nwachi) beat a host of other dance groups to clinch First Place at a competition organized in Ebonyi State by the Radio, Television and Theatre Art Workers Union (RATTAWU) of Nigeria in 2010.
In it’s 40 plus years history, Nkwa Umuagbogho Dance Group has entertained heads of States from dozens of countries, thrilled hundreds of thousands of spectators and wowed audiences in Africa, America and China.
In 2006, the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) conferred the Living Legends Award to the group’s founder, Chief Nwachi, for his choreographic skills and lifetime contributions to the advancement of African art and culture.

5 Likes

Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by Nobody: 3:56pm On Jul 21, 2014
I see Obinoscopy viewing the thread, i'm guessing he is from Ebonyi gringrin
Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by Obinoscopy(m): 4:01pm On Jul 21, 2014
INNOisBACK: I see Obinoscopy viewing the thread, i'm guessing he is from Ebonyi gringrin
grin

No, I'm not. I'm an Anambarian smiley.

3 Likes

Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by oilykid(m): 4:01pm On Jul 21, 2014
impressive cool cool
Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by passion007: 4:03pm On Jul 21, 2014
Uburu

UBURU SALT LAKE, EBONYI STATE a natural salt deposit in lake form. It used to be business hub for merchants in the South East region then. A visit to even drink from the lake is as important as exploring further in the lake’s natural potentials that still question nature till date

The Daily champion's opening sentences in a 2002 news article:
"EVENTS will come and go, but history is indelible.

Remembering the Nigerian Civil war, I recall a community exists that saved the entire population from the ugly sickness of kwashiorkor. Kwashiorkor is gone but the saviour seems to have been forgotten."

Uburu salt lake was a savior during the Biafran War.

17 Likes

Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by passion007: 4:04pm On Jul 21, 2014
Nkalagu
Nkalagu is a town in Ebonyi state, Nigeria. It is notable for having a limestone formation — not common in Nigeria — which provides the raw material for the large cement plant of the Nigerian Cement Company (Nigercem)

Pic: Michael Okpara visits Nkalagu Cement Factory

4 Likes

Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by passion007: 4:05pm On Jul 21, 2014
The Slave Market (Eke Imoha)

The market was originally known as Eke Imoha, and at its peak, was the largest slave market where men captured from the hinterland were sold. A monument has been erected in Ezza as a testament to the infamous trade.
Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by smileandlove(f): 4:06pm On Jul 21, 2014
Ndi ibeanyi nda ga unu nmere? Unu nohu ereme? Unu bukwara! Ezi uzo chee unuoooo!

OP are you from Okposi?

11 Likes

Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by IGBOSON1: 4:10pm On Jul 21, 2014
I keep on saying it: Alaigbo has blessed this country with the most memorable and evergreen music imaginable! The history of this country can never be complete without telling the contributions we've made in this regard!

Never knew Prince Nico Mbarga had martenal links to Ebonyi! smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mecNrIaWOA

10 Likes

Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jul 21, 2014
Obinoscopy: grin

Udo... Kedu ogbodo difa? Abum nwa Nnewi grin
Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by Nobody: 4:27pm On Jul 21, 2014
I am waiting to see the delicious "Abakaliki Rice" included in the topic.
Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by passion007: 4:34pm On Jul 21, 2014
Ishiagu Pottery

4 Likes

Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by passion007: 4:35pm On Jul 21, 2014
Ebonyi is recognised as having an total of 9 languages, all of which are actually Igbo dialects. They are: Afikpo, Mgbo, Izzi, Ezza, Ikwo Kukele, Legbo, Mbembe, Oringare.

2 Likes

Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by bloodyassassin: 4:36pm On Jul 21, 2014
berem: I am waiting to see the delicious "Abakaliki Rice" included in the topic.

sweerie come to bed
don't wear pant ooooo

14 Likes

Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by Ohaneze1: 4:38pm On Jul 21, 2014
Okay, but we have decided to dash you out to Ebonyi so that the op will place you on his list above as resource! grin

Obinoscopy: grin

1 Like

Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by passion007: 5:20pm On Jul 21, 2014
berem: I am waiting to see the delicious "Abakaliki Rice" included in the topic.

I'm deliberately leaving out Agriculture.
You can enjoy Abakaliki rice pics here:

https://www.nairaland.com/1367864/ebonyi-state-may-not-known/
Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by Nobody: 5:26pm On Jul 21, 2014
passion007:

I'm deliberately leaving out Agriculture.
You can enjoy Abakaliki rice pics here:

https://www.nairaland.com/1367864/ebonyi-state-may-not-known/
no wahala! Its all good.

I thought Mbonu Ojike is from Ebonyi State? Am I right?
Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by Lionheartedfew: 5:26pm On Jul 21, 2014
You forgot armed robbery[quote author=passion007]Okposi
For a living, the Okposi have two major occupations: farming (which is strictly reserved for the men), and salt-production (which is under proscription in favor of the women).

1 Like

Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by passion007: 5:26pm On Jul 21, 2014
smileandlove: Ndi ibeanyi nda ga unu nmere? Unu nohu ereme? Unu bukwara! Ezi uzo chee unuoooo!

OP are you from Okposi?

Mba, abum onye Igbo. grin

2 Likes

Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by passion007: 5:31pm On Jul 21, 2014
berem: no wahala! Its all good.

Nope, he's from Arondizuogu.
Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by Solupeace: 5:48pm On Jul 21, 2014
smileandlove: Ndi ibeanyi nda ga unu nmere? Unu nohu ereme? Unu bukwara! Ezi uzo chee unuoooo!

OP are you from Okposi?
makwarama! I bu Onyibe so Oshiahu?
Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by Obinoscopy(m): 6:30pm On Jul 21, 2014
INNOisBACK: Udo... Kedu ogbodo difa? Abum nwa Nnewi grin
Abum onye Nimo smiley.
Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by wheesin(m): 6:31pm On Jul 21, 2014
ebonyi...abakaliki..i lived their throughout my childhood for 10 years..i learnt igbo language there also..still remember ezza and ezzi local gov..wit deir weird igbo language version..aldough a boring state hardly in the news but its peacefully... i hail Dr sam egwu..governor till 2007
Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by Omimah: 6:32pm On Jul 21, 2014
Abakiliki is the Dubai of Africa.

4 Likes

Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by datguru: 6:35pm On Jul 21, 2014
no pictures angry

1 Like

Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by psychologist(m): 6:35pm On Jul 21, 2014
cool
Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by priscaoge(f): 6:38pm On Jul 21, 2014
berem: no wahala! Its all good.

MBONU OJIKE is from Arondizuogu in Ideato North LGA IMO STATE!!!
Re: Random Facts About Ebonyi by biggiyke(m): 6:38pm On Jul 21, 2014
Patoranking: Born Patrick Nnaemeka Okorie. From Ebonyi State.

11 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ibrahim Idris Appears Before Senate Panel Over Misau / Governor Sanwo-Olu Seen Buying Roasted Plantain In Lagos (Video) / Urum Kalu Eke: South East Nominee Rejects Tinubu's Appointment To CBN Board

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.