Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,115 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:27 PM

The Economy Of Value - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Economy Of Value (551 Views)

Nigerians React To Lai Mohammed's Comments On The Economy / Igbos Contribute More To The Economy Of Nigeria / Jonathan Pledges N500bn To Boost Economy Of S-east (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Economy Of Value by bamto(m): 9:10am On Jul 22, 2014
Man ought to tell money what the value of a thing is, and never vice versa. We shouldn't get an impression of the value of a thing from the price tag on it. This is because money, the means of exchange, is actually of little value in and of itself. It takes on the value of what it could purchase, or be exchanged for. The value of money is not intrinsic, but imparted. Without things to market, money is without value, but without money, things still retain their intrinsic values. A tree is a tree, a rock a rock, a diamond a diamond, and an education -an education.

If I paid a certain amount of money to educate my child, I would not equate the value of that education to the fees paid. I won't say my child had a 40 million or a 60 million education. The value of my child's education cannot be expressed in monetary terms, even though it was purchased at a particular amount. Educating my child has a value of its own that is very different from what it cost. So it is with everything of value in life. Money represents an accurate estimation of COST, but a rough estimation, and sometimes very rough, of VALUE.

Cost and value bear a certain relationship, but there is sometimes a whole world of difference. They are related to the extent that the more valuable a thing is, the costlier it should be. However value is an intrinsic quality and has several determinants and characteristics which money cannot measure. Something may bear heavy cost and be of little value and quite useless, whilst another thing may bear light cost and prove invaluable. Money therefore has a poverty when it comes to value, by virtue of its own lack of value, and the key is to separate these two, in the pursuits of life.

Therefore the lesson is to put value where value belongs, and money where money belongs. Money is useful therefore, not valuable. Certain things are valuable, but money is not one of them. Money is used to mobilize those things, and there it should end. It should not be at the centre of our endeavors nor the reason for rising early or sitting up late. Although very useful for the exchange of value, we must not get carried away to the point where we defocus from things of actual value and usurp their place by making money itself the reason for everything. It turns the course of society upside down. That is the lesson.

It is a very important lesson. It makes us never give up something of quality for the sake of money, something like honesty or a calling. It is the difference between ambition and vision, making money and serving a purpose, competition and innovation, the need to meet up with status and the simplicity of personal satisfaction. A thing which if understood, will change the world. It requires us to go for what is expedient, not what is imminent and pressing on us, with or without value. It requires us to go for what will outlast us instead of what will announce us. It gives us the freedom to make choices over what actually is, than what only seems to be. It considers posterity as a true measure of prosperity, by placing personal aggrandizement second to nation building. We are safe where value is the reason, but where money is the reason…..everything falls apart. In slow motion.

Placing value on things that are actually valuable, and letting money serve those things gives rise to a value system. When on the other hand, value is placed on money, having money, and making money; the value of things that actually have value decreases, sometimes to the point of insignificance. That is called a money system. In a money system, I could sacrifice honesty or integrity, the goal is to make money. I could buy beauty, or seek to sell sensitive information. It is the reason for every dirty and unsavory cut-throat event that occurs in the business world.

The reason why we have a failed state is that it operates a money system instead of a value system. Say politics and money comes to mind. A friend who gets a political appointment is perceived as one connected not to leadership, nor nation building, but one connected to money, and one who would soon become very rich. At the back of the rush for government projects and contracts is little to do with the passion for nation building. The main deal is that at every junction along such business is the opportunity for money to be gained. That is a money system. While it may be obvious that such a system is partly the reason for a failed state, it mightn’t readily be seen that on a personal level, it equally gives rise to failure.

If one wants to have a lot of money and it is to be meaningful eventually, one would have to have a lot of value, and get money to work it. Like a business with one worker, which as it expands gets more workers. Or a house with servants. The wealthy men today, and from time, get to a point where they give out almost all the money they have, and make even more in no time. They operate, not a money system, but a value system. Like a servant, they send money around; and it comes back. Those who have obtained riches otherwise, even though they now have the means to make wealth, find it extremely difficult because they do not understand value. They have to hold on to what they have rather tenaciously, and are afraid to lose any of it. By the second generation, all is wiped out and forgotten.

Money is needed (yes, it is needed) as a means of exchange for value, but itself is not worth much. It is not worth living for, and it is not worth dying for. It is not worth your family, friendships, esteem, or your health. It is a means of acquiring value, transferring value, transporting value. Value is the substance, money is the means. So if at the end of the dance, one is left holding on to cash, and only cash, it has been a pointless exercise, and waste of good music. Set up a value system that money can serve, as it exchanges value from one level to another, instead of setting up a money system, where the main point is to make money, and then make some more. It destroys people, families, legacies, and nations -eventually.

A simple and common way to express this thought is to go acquire real estate, buying up property with money. What is the cost of a plot of land? Can you tell me? You'd say it depends on where. It could be 40 thousand here and 40 million there. And the latter may not be as good or well situated as the former. Actually land, like the best things in life, is both free and priceless. The price tag on it does not tell us its value, but its man-made cost. That is a simple way of expressing the thought behind the economy of value, but such an economy system goes beyond real estate. It does not merely acquire land; it mobilizes value and improves the quality of life for the next generation. It makes the world a much better place to live in, all things considered; a thing only achievable where money is removed from the reason-for-all-things position in the equation of life, and placed where it should be, as one of the main parameters in the service of value.

Credit: Ebele UzoPeters

(1) (Reply)

President Jonathan Appoints Osita Chidoka As New Aviation Minister / Politicians Buy Human Part From Me Says Ritualist / Ekiti Election Was Rigged Scientifically.. "Meaning And Prove Included"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.