Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,576 members, 7,820,073 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:19 AM

Why Is No One Talking More About Ebola In Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is No One Talking More About Ebola In Nigeria? (2614 Views)

Six Compelling Reasons Not To Panic About Ebola / Stop The Panic About Ebola,stop salt scam / Prof. Maurice Iwu's Fraudulent Claims About Ebola Cure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is No One Talking More About Ebola In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:35am On Jul 26, 2014
This is the most sinister threat to hit us yet and I am saddened to see that social media, Nigerian news stations, etc are not doing more to keep us up to speed with what is going on.

I was thinking about the gravity of this disease finally making its way into Nigeria and it makes me SICK to think that no one issued travel alerts for countries most affected by the virus in the first place. Were tweets from Atiku the only measures taken to alert us on what was happening? What a big disgrace to the aviation ministry and security officials.

There are no awareness initiatives disseminated by health ministry, why

And what about us, the foolish masses? We distract ourselves day in and out with foolish ethnic rivalries, political battles, and stupid comparisons that make no sense and there is a ticking time bomb waiting to explode.

Why is there so much silence over this? I'm almost on the verge of tears thinking about how this country is falling apart because of the selfish ambitions of all our leaders, past and present, north and south, PDP and APC, Buhari and GEJ, IBB and OBJ....all of these bastards who will abandon us to our fate to foreign countries when the shit hits the fan.

This is so sad and I am genuinely afraid of what is going to happen in the next few months. cry

In typical Nigerian style everyone is ignoring the elephant in the room and no one here will act until something drastic happens.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is No One Talking More About Ebola In Nigeria? by Firefire(m): 12:38am On Jul 26, 2014
because ebola missed road enter naija and was nabbed at the airport.

RIP to the victim angry
Re: Why Is No One Talking More About Ebola In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:49am On Jul 26, 2014
Please can the Ebola virus be captured or contained. Its services is needed at Sambisa ASAP. Maybe it can do what our troops can not.

But seriously, so Naija department of health is yet to issue a release on that? What a funny country undecided
Re: Why Is No One Talking More About Ebola In Nigeria? by Jakumo(m): 3:25am On Jul 26, 2014
chulla12: This is the most sinister threat to hit us yet and I am saddened to see that social media, Nigerian news stations, etc are not doing more to keep us up to speed with what is going on.

I was thinking about the gravity of this disease finally making its way into Nigeria and it makes me SICK to think that no one issued travel alerts for countries most affected by the virus in the first place. Were tweets from Atiku the only measures taken to alert us on what was happening? What a big disgrace to the aviation ministry and security officials.

There are no awareness initiatives disseminated by health ministry, why

And what about us, the foolish masses? We distract ourselves day in and out with foolish ethnic rivalries, political battles, and stupid comparisons that make no sense and there is a ticking time bomb waiting to explode.

Why is there so much silence over this? I'm almost on the verge of tears thinking about how this country is falling apart because of the selfish ambitions of all our leaders, past and present, north and south, PDP and APC, Buhari and GEJ, IBB and OBJ....all of these bastards who will abandon us to our fate to foreign countries when the shit hits the fan.

This is so sad and I am genuinely afraid of what is going to happen in the next few months. cry

In typical Nigerian style everyone is ignoring the elephant in the room and no one here will act until something drastic happens.

The answer to your question is simple and can be expressed in a single word - denial. Nigeria is a land of die-hard optimists who will continue to express confidence that "God" can be assigned the job of solving all worldly problems, and defusing all threats Nigeria faces as a nation, even when ALL evidence points to the contrary.

Yes indeed, Chula, I too share your grave fear and deep apprehension that Nigeria remains essentially oblivious to a gathering storm of biblical proportion, given that geographically she lies perilously close to the epicenter of a pestilence far more ominous and deadly than anything the human race has witnessed since the "Black Plague" decimated entire populations in Europe a few hundred years ago.

With a confirmed EBOLA death now recorded in Lagos, Nigeria, the logical expectation would be that Nigerian authorities would swiftly slam a TOTAL and IMMEDIATE travel ban that would effectively seal off Nigeria as a destination for ALL travelers originating in Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea. Nothing of the sort has occurred.

Furthermore, one would have anticipated that efforts would have been made by Nigerian authorities to locate and test ALL passengers on the aircraft which brought the now deceased Liberian Ebola victim to Nigeria from his infested homeland, as a prequel to quarantining ALL who tested positive for the pandemic virus. Nothing of the sort has occurred.

As the Ebola virus silently closes in on Nigerian towns and cities, urgent alerts and precautions that would potentially save millions of lives, easily disseminated by the radio or newspapers, were evidently never considered by relevant federal and state authorities, leaving a nation of 200 million souls essentially unprepared and in the dark as the Grim Reaper closes in on West Africa.

"God forbid bad ting" is the mantra parroted by Nigerians whenever the existence of a mortal threat is identified. Praying feverishly on their knees, with their aszes or waving arms pointed skyward, Nigerians as a nation remain blissfully confident that the only precaution EVER needed, to stave off the galloping horsemen of the Apocalypse, is yet more prayer and arm-waving to the unseen Great Referee and Miracle Worker levitated above the clouds.

Ignorance is bliss ONLY up to the point that reality intrudes, and for Nigeria, that point of no return will be recognized when MASS death is recorded across the entire nation, despite all the prayers and chanted invocations of that timeless order to the Almighty - "God Forbid Bad Ting".

1 Like

Re: Why Is No One Talking More About Ebola In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:15am On Jul 26, 2014
Jakumo:

The answer to your question is simple and can be expressed in a single word - denial. Nigeria is a land of die-hard optimists who will continue to express confidence that "God" can be assigned the job of solving all worldly problems, and defusing all threats Nigeria faces as a nation, even when ALL evidence points to the contrary.

Yes indeed, Chula, I too share your grave fear and deep apprehension that Nigeria remains essentially oblivious to a gathering storm of biblical proportion, given that geographically she lies perilously close to the epicenter of a pestilence far more ominous and deadly than anything the human race has witnessed since the "Black Plague" decimated entire populations in Europe a few hundred years ago.

With a confirmed EBOLA death now recorded in Lagos, Nigeria, the logical expectation would be that Nigerian authorities would swiftly slam a TOTAL and IMMEDIATE travel ban that would effectively seal off Nigeria as a destination for ALL travelers originating in Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea. Nothing of the sort has occurred.

Furthermore, one would have anticipated that efforts would have been made by Nigerian authorities to locate and test ALL passengers on the aircraft which brought the now deceased Liberian Ebola victim to Nigeria from his infested homeland, as a prequel to quarantining ALL who tested positive for the pandemic virus. Nothing of the sort has occurred.

As the Ebola virus silently closes in on Nigerian towns and cities, urgent alerts and precautions that would potentially save millions of lives, easily disseminated by the radio or newspapers, were evidently never considered by relevant federal and state authorities, leaving a nation of 200 million souls essentially unprepared and in the dark as the Grim Reaper closes in on West Africa.

"God forbid bad ting" is the mantra parroted by Nigerians whenever the existence of a mortal threat is identified. Praying feverishly on their knees, with their aszes or waving arms pointed skyward, Nigerians as a nation remain blissfully confident that the only precaution EVER needed, to stave off the galloping horsemen of the Apocalypse, is yet more prayer and arm having to the unseen Great Referee and Miracle Worker levitated above the clouds.

Ignorance is bliss ONLY up to the point that reality intrudes, and for Nigeria, that point of no return will be recognized when MASS death is recorded across the entire nation, despite all the prayers and chanted invocations of that timeless order to the Almighty - "God Forbid Bad Ting".
Bros wait oo, how is this virus transmitted sef? Are you saying that the passengers on the same aircraft with the deceased man can possible contract the disease? Chineke ekwela ihe ojoo #rushes off to cancel my flight to Naija#
Re: Why Is No One Talking More About Ebola In Nigeria? by Jakumo(m): 4:42am On Jul 26, 2014
IdiAmin1: Bros wait oo, how is this virus transmitted sef? Are you saying that the passengers on the same aircraft with the deceased man can possible contract the disease? Chineke ekwela ihe ojoo #rushes off to cancel my flight to Naija#

As you will no doubt be aware, Amin, the pressurized air inside passenger jets is merely filtered and recirculated during the flight, with only a tiny amount of "fresh" air from the outside flowing into the passenger cabin via the engines' "bleed air" plumbing.

This of course means that any air-borne human diseases, such as the common cold or the Ebola virus, present in a single passenger aboard a commercial airliner, COULD be transmitted to the entire passenger load sitting in the cabin, IF, the sick person coughs or sneezes into that closed air re-circulation system, allowing those microbes to be spread via the aircraft's air-conditioning vents.

Anyone still under the impression that the Ebola virus is a minor concern is most definitely ignoring some major realities already manifesting in Africa.
Re: Why Is No One Talking More About Ebola In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:47am On Jul 26, 2014
Jakumo:

As you will no doubt be aware, Amin, the pressurized air inside passenger jets is merely filtered and recirculated during the flight, with only a tiny amount of "fresh" air from the outside flowing into the passenger cabin via the engines' "bleed air" plumbing.

This of course means that any air-borne human diseases, such as the common cold or the Ebola virus, present in a single passenger aboard a commercial airliner, COULD be transmitted to the entire passenger load sitting in the cabin, IF, the sick person coughs or sneezes into that closed air re-circulation system, allowing those microbes to be spread via the aircraft's air-conditioning vents.

Anyone still under the impression that the Ebola virus is a minor concern is most definitely ignoring some major realities already manifesting in Africa.

So, what you are saying in effect is that Ebola is an air-borne disease? Chai, Na e be say wahala Wey pass boko haram don enta Naija be that oo #in Chinwetalu Agu's voice#Ekwensu enwee phone number.

1 Like

Re: Why Is No One Talking More About Ebola In Nigeria? by Asemo11(m): 4:54am On Jul 26, 2014
Bros no be lie u talk oh. Atlist by now the y could have being a public awareness campain by the health ministry
But as it his now have not heard or listern to any aweness campain on tv or radio
Re: Why Is No One Talking More About Ebola In Nigeria? by Jakumo(m): 4:59am On Jul 26, 2014
IdiAmin1: So, what you are saying in effect is that Ebola is an air-borne disease? Chai, Na e be say wahala Wey pass boko haram don enta Naija be that oo #in Chinwetalu Agu's voice#Ekwensu enwee phone number.

Yes, air-borne transmission is one of the modes by which Ebola infects new victims. Bodily fluids such as saliva, sweat, urine, blood, feces and and sperm are the other media though which this annihilating microbe spreads, but airborne transmission is by far the most insidious and unavoidable mode of infection possible.

You said it brother man. The Boko Haram terror menace, as deadly as it is, rates only as a minor inconvenience, when compared side-by-side with the potential of the Ebola virus to wipe out much of the human race, starting in Africa, and radiating outward across the globe via jet travel.

If I sound scared of Ebola, it is because I am VERY scared indeed, when I contemplate this new invisible, spreading enemy of mankind.
Re: Why Is No One Talking More About Ebola In Nigeria? by Jakumo(m): 1:28pm On Jul 26, 2014
The Liberian man who just died in Lagos has most likely infected everyone on board that aircraft that brought him from Monrovia to Lagos.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ebola-outbreak-spreads-to-fourth-country/

The passenger manifest of that plane MUST be produced by the relevant airline, and all passengers screened for EBOLA with a view to IMMEDIATELY placing all who test positive into strict quarantine until the disease has run its course in each one of them.

More importantly, a TOTAL AND ABSOLUTE air-blockade MUST be imposed at once, prohibiting airlines using any Nigerian airport from departing to or arriving from the new Ebola epicenters of Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea. This action must be undertaken FAST, and a matter of PARAMOUNT importance, since MILLIONS of Nigerian lives are at stake.

1 Like

Re: Why Is No One Talking More About Ebola In Nigeria? by juman(m): 3:26pm On Jul 26, 2014
Hmmmm

I was also thinking of that.

All levels of government failed in this respect.
Re: Why Is No One Talking More About Ebola In Nigeria? by cyril83(m): 3:30pm On Jul 26, 2014
Bro calm your nerves, ebola cannot survive in Nigeria.
Re: Why Is No One Talking More About Ebola In Nigeria? by uzeba(m): 3:46pm On Jul 26, 2014
This morning an ebola patient was brought to a private clinic, the sister said to the receptionist my brother has ebola the doctor being a yoruba man shouted from his office EBOKINI? Olorunmaje ki ari oriburuku he ran out of the hospital everybody followed including women in labor and Hiv patients.
Re: Why Is No One Talking More About Ebola In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:58pm On Jul 26, 2014
Jakumo: The Liberian man who just died in Lagos has most likely infected everyone on board that aircraft that brought him from Monrovia to Lagos.
The passenger manifest of that plane MUST be produced by the relevant airline, and all passengers screened for EBOLA with a view to IMMEDIATELY placing all who test positive into strict quarantine until the disease has run its course in each one of them.
More importantly, a TOTAL AND ABSOLUTE air-blockade MUST be imposed at once, prohibiting airlines using any Nigerian airport from departing to or arriving from the new Ebola epicenters of Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea. This action must be undertaken FAST, and a matter of PARAMOUNT importance, since MILLIONS of Nigerian lives are at stake.

The sad thing is that there doesn't seem to be any indication of this happening.

What a weak and foolish country. undecided
Re: Why Is No One Talking More About Ebola In Nigeria? by Kalvan: 8:19pm On Jul 26, 2014
Jakumo:

Ebola is not an air-borne disease. It's spread from contact with bodily fluids, organs from an infected person or animal. I agree with most of what you've said already. No one of talking about this disease, it kills 90% of the Time. Nigerians/Africans need to be proactive for once. I recently watched a Vice Documentary where the Liberian people denied ebola existed, they continued eating infected bushmeat, Look at what has happened now.
Re: Why Is No One Talking More About Ebola In Nigeria? by Eziachi: 8:40pm On Jul 26, 2014
Probably the legion pastors had assured the government that they possess the divine power over Ebola. In Nigeria hallucinations in the name of prayer solves all problems.
Or its the opposition inventions, not real. If you doubt me ask FFK, he will soon come up with a wako theory the Ebola.

1 Like

Re: Why Is No One Talking More About Ebola In Nigeria? by Jakumo(m): 8:56pm On Jul 26, 2014
Eziachi: Probably the legion pastors had assured the government that they possess the divine power over Ebola. In Nigeria hallucinations in the name of prayer solves all problems.
Or its the opposition inventions, not real. If you doubt me ask FFK, he will soon come up with a wako theory the Ebola.

You ain't lyin' my brother Eziachi. Endemic superstition and religious brainwashing have rendered many an African brain completely impervious to logical reasoning.

That head-in-the sand attitude could, tragically, cost multitudes of lives in Nigeria before the existence of a plague is even acknowledged by official spokespeople.

@Kalvan I sincerely hope that Ebola is not transmitted as an airborne contagion, as you feel may be the case. My understanding from the little reading I have done on the subject is that Ebola CAN be transmitted through the closed air-conditioning system inside an aircraft cabin, as suggested in the link I posted above. I want to be wrong, and you to be right on this point, and that is the truth.
Re: Why Is No One Talking More About Ebola In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:10pm On Jul 26, 2014
Jakumo: The Liberian man who just died in Lagos has most likely infected everyone on board that aircraft that brought him from Monrovia to Lagos.

wow!

1 Like

Re: Why Is No One Talking More About Ebola In Nigeria? by idumuose(m): 9:11pm On Jul 26, 2014
Ebola? Ebola! Eggheaders alias anago knows about the disease.Infact anago is the custodian of ebola.He is the chief priest of Ebola.He doesn't post a comment without mentioning Ebola.There is something about anago and Ebola that i don't really understand.

1 Like

Re: Why Is No One Talking More About Ebola In Nigeria? by solid3(m): 9:18pm On Jul 26, 2014
Nigerian doctors have killed the bros before he spread the incurable disease. So no worries.

I pity any next victim of the virus in Nigeria cos, our dockis dey fear for them lives too, so na kill them go kill d person sharp sharp. grin
Re: Why Is No One Talking More About Ebola In Nigeria? by Jakumo(m): 9:26pm On Jul 26, 2014
solid3: Nigerian doctors have killed the bros before he spread the incurable disease. So no worries.

I pity any next victim of the virus in Nigeria cos, our dockis dey fear for them lives too, so na kill them go kill d person sharp sharp. grin

I was wondering myself how doctors in Nigerian hospitals would react when INCURABLE Ebola victims come seeking help in large numbers.
Re: Why Is No One Talking More About Ebola In Nigeria? by iluvnaija: 11:53pm On Jul 26, 2014
Effects of Ebola

Re: Why Is No One Talking More About Ebola In Nigeria? by omenka(m): 12:05am On Jul 27, 2014
IdiAmin1: Bros wait oo, how is this virus transmitted sef? Are you saying that the passengers on the same aircraft with the deceased man can possible contract the disease? Chineke ekwela ihe ojoo #rushes off to cancel my flight to Naija#
That is exactly what it is brother!

People seem so naiive about this disease. No doubt a few other persons out there must have contracted it from the man without even knowing it. And that is it, the chain reaction has been initiated!

Instead of the government drawing up vivid strategy for containment, they are busy plotting how to assassinate perceived political enemies, or how to secure billion dollar loans to prosecute some political agenda, or how to steal the next billion!!

I discussed it with my friends all day long, and the thought of it sends shivers down my spine! Imagine this seemingly useless govt having to deal with such a complex pandemic when they are already inundated with terrorism, corruption, and poverty!

This might indeed turn out to be the little push the country needs to fall off the cliff!
God help us all.
Re: Why Is No One Talking More About Ebola In Nigeria? by Jakumo(m): 8:15am On Jul 27, 2014
Scary, Scary Scary muffugin chit.

http://news.yahoo.com/nigeria-screen-airline-travelers-ebola-165545938.html

If the World Health Organization does not hasten to find a cure for this terrible threat to mankind, the human race WILL be wiped out, one continent at a time, commencing with Africa.

NOW is the time for the US government to dump BILLIONS of dollars into the urgent search for a cure, before it is too late even for America to avert this impending GLOBAL calamity.
Re: Why Is No One Talking More About Ebola In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:28pm On Jul 27, 2014
Jakumo I read that yahoo article and I cannot believe my eyes.

How in the world are the passengers on that plane NOT quarantined?? Monitored, but not quarantined?

I am so livid. The Health Ministry is filled with first class idiots!

(1) (Reply)

“your Mother Was Not Properly Married To Your Father” – David Mark Insults Dan O / Nigerians Won't Kill Someone With Their Funny Captions (pics) / Vanguard : S-west Is Nigeria’s Kidnap Capital — Report

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.