Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,432 members, 7,823,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:19 PM

Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto (20068 Views)

Ebola Outbreak: Lagos To Provide Insurance Cover For Health Workers - See More / Liberian Dies In Morocco Of Ebola - Internal Affairs Minister Discloses / Fear Of Ebola: Villagers Flee From The Sight Of Red Cross And Western Doctors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by aluunoble: 10:46am On Jul 26, 2014
kinguwem: Johesu should manage the situation, I thought they are doctors. Ebola is a deadly disease & doctors will not call off the strike unless the FG increases harzard allowance. Every body including a clerk in the hospital gets a flat rate of N5,000.

The situation is under control even without Physicians. The Ebola virus was diagnosed by a Medical Lab Scientist, the patient was cared for by a Nurse, drugs prescribed and administered by a Pharmacist all in LUTH (though there is no cure for Ebola virus @ the moment). On the whole, there never demanded for a frivolous increase in hazard allowance. So what's ur problem now? Month has ended am sure u've received ur unjustified salary 4 d month of July...eat, grow fat and stop farting rivalry in nairaland...

2 Likes

Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by Nobody: 10:48am On Jul 26, 2014
Katakore: . You don't have to be super human to make a perfect diagnosis, just go and read Medicine. Even an average but commited person can do that. As simple as that.

Please your m.b.b.s does not equip you with medical laboratory methodologies, procedures and principles. They are not in your curriculum. It only teaches you the clinical importance of those tests. You can not be Knowledgeable in medical laboratory principles than the Scientists.

If you dispute this, maybe you should oblige me to set a piece of exam on Medical laboratory Science right here on this platform for you and your colleagues, i have done it before. I promise you google will disappoint you and you will leave here with a battered self-esteem. Stop saying m.b.b.s teaches you everything about Medical Laboratory science.It is a BIG LIE. Be guided.

2 Likes

Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by walexbiz(m): 10:50am On Jul 26, 2014
johnwarax: .

It will not. It will act as a form of compensation to them.

And moreover an average doctor works 24hours for 15days in a month and 12hours for the other 15days, that is to say they have only another 12hours for 15days to spend with their family, so me think they should be paid N1million for hazard.

And these nurses only works based on night/day shift for 5days in federal hospitals.

Lecturers receives not less than 40k in my school as hazard allowee.

Why do people keep deceiving themselves, so you think all these health workers are not important then I guess most doctors are magicians or rather god that they can do all the diagnosis themselves. All health workers are as important as the doctors and they're exposed to the same risk as the doctors so not part of the health institution should be overlooked they all should be given what they deserved in line with best practices

1 Like

Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by Nobody: 10:55am On Jul 26, 2014
Leopantro:

The patient bypassed the doctor and went straight to the medical lab scientist?

Yeah...patients/people can actually self-order tests in advanced countries, even online. It is a global practice bro. You want links and proofs?. Google is free man.

1 Like

Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by tigonana: 10:56am On Jul 26, 2014
osjoshua: o God,I don't want to hear that name Ebola again....how can someone wake up this early morning with Ebola on FP...(close tabs)
;Dgo sleep den.
Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by Leopantro: 11:00am On Jul 26, 2014
I have seen lab results from medical lab scientist that revealed a urine culture was resistant to ciprofloxacin but sensitive to ciprotab.a typical Nigerian will go and buy the 2nd drug without realizing that the two drugs are both the same. Don't want to even start on Malaria and typhoid

Look, let us agree that the Nigerian healthcare system has a big structural problem brought about by everyone involved and find a way to fix it. Stop bringing emotions into it. I know a prominent health care worker who is in the forefront of shouting how insignificant doctors are whose younger brother was involved in

1 Like

Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by Nobody: 11:00am On Jul 26, 2014
Vincenzi:
You are a piece of scum. Who do you think carried out tests to confirm the diagnosis? Stupid fool. While doctors were enjoying the strike,some people risked their lives at the research center in LUTH. Shut your buccal hole if your brain is too slow to make up an intelligent comment. Even fools in their houses think they have opinion.
I hear. Do their work. Lab rat trying to be a doctor after no school accepted you to study medicine.
Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by idu1(m): 11:01am On Jul 26, 2014
deols:

That is why Nigerians should tell the government to be reasonable.

Imagine spending up to 9yrs of your life in medical school onlyto get into a crappy hospital for work with no infrastructure and then have to 'compete' with people who spent three years in training as support staff, to then come ahead asking to boss you, in something they were not trained for?
Must u b doctor? Who send u go there. Abeg park well jor make person hear word.

1 Like

Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by aluunoble: 11:03am On Jul 26, 2014
[quote author=nationwide24] You call them heartless now but remember you said they are worthless. Another opportunity for JOHESU to prove they can do it in the absence of the "worthless ones". lol.[/quote

Nobody is worthless in health care delivery. A Medical Lab Scientist did the needful in LUTH in the recent Ebola virus incident. It's on record that the Ebola Virus was properly diagnosed and comfirmed by a Med Lab Scientist. So what's the fuss! Nurses did their work, Pharmacists played their own role while the life of the Liberian who was down with the dreaded virus lasted. NMA should stop resorting to politics of calumny to attract public sympathy coz the masses have known the truth.

2 Likes

Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by Nobody: 11:03am On Jul 26, 2014
deols: Can I possibly be blamed for your dumbness??

I said up to 9yrs. That ur scope is limited to Nigeria shld not be my fault. Ode

see who is dumb here, that my scope is limited to Nigeria, so all the medical doctors in Nigeria went to the UK to spend nine years , huh? we re talking about a doctor who spend six years and a physio who spend five years here in Nigeria, go and learn what is called standard comparism. As a matter of fact there is no medical skul that is up to nine years in the world exluding residency and further trainings, i wonder what profession u re referring to when u mentioned three years in ur first post, u might come here and tell us that's what pharmacists spend in Zimbabwe, native doctor lieing abt years and trying to look cool since 1756, such brain, smh

1 Like

Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by Nobody: 11:04am On Jul 26, 2014
Lab rats moaning. How does the strike affect you? Everyone in the hospital is important but doctors are more important than you. Ger over it. No one rushes to a hospital saying he needs a lab rat. Know your place. And If you can't, jamb form will soon be out.

2 Likes

Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by Leopantro: 11:04am On Jul 26, 2014
ismokeweed:
I hear. Do their work. Lab rat trying to be a doctor after no school accepted you to study medicine.

That's not nice. Not everyone wanted to read medicine. Have friends that are scientist, nurses and pharmacist that enjoy their work and love what they do. It's the bad ones or those that are dissatisfied with their work that have issues. Also those with inferiority complex. Let's respect others

2 Likes

Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by Nobody: 11:08am On Jul 26, 2014
Leopantro:

That's not nice. Not everyone wanted to read medicine. Have friends that are scientist, nurses and pharmacist that enjoy their work and love what they do. It's the bad ones or those that are dissatisfied with their work that have issues. Also those with inferiority complex. Let's respect others
It's those bad ones that com to talk trash on all social platforms. After trying to become doctors and Nigeria universities frustrated them, they are forming pseudo-doctors now. The ones that wanted that profession are not seen spewing the trash these frustrated ones vomit everyday.
Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by Kajiang02(m): 11:13am On Jul 26, 2014
ismokeweed:
It's those bad ones that com to talk trash on all social platforms. After trying to become doctors and Nigeria universities frustrated them, they are forming pseudo-doctors now. The ones that wanted that profession are not seen spewing the trash these frustrated ones vomit everyday.
If your type is a doctor, I'll prefer to have Nurses and other professionals handle my health problems. #nooffenceintended.

3 Likes

Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by aluunoble: 11:17am On Jul 26, 2014
Leopantro:

The patient bypassed the doctor and went straight to the medical lab scientist?

Hey don't miscontrue my humble objective point...Medicine is dynamic, every member of the health sector has a complimentary role. The physician can do it alone likewise the Pharmacist, Lab Scientist, nurses etc they need each other for a holistic and reliable medical practice centered on patients' need. A Physician lacks the dexterity to diagnose an ebola virus without proper laboratory investigation!
Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by Nobody: 11:19am On Jul 26, 2014
Kajiang02:
If your type is a doctor, I'll prefer to have Nurses and other professionals handle my health problems. #nooffenceintended.
I sell morocco. No offence taken. I should be made a consultant too as my weed helps people.
Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by Nobody: 11:25am On Jul 26, 2014
Leopantro: I have seen lab results from medical lab scientist that revealed a urine culture was resistant to ciprofloxacin but sensitive to ciprotab.a typical Nigerian will go and buy the 2nd drug without realizing that the two drugs are both the same. Don't want to even start on Malaria and typhoid

Look, let us agree that the Nigerian healthcare system has a big structural problem brought about by everyone involved and find a way to fix it. Stop bringing emotions into it. I know a prominent health care worker who is in the forefront of shouting how insignificant doctors are whose younger brother was involved in

Oga..the antibiotic sensitivity multi-disc used during Antibiogram studies can not have Ciprotab and Ciprofloxacin on a multi-disc, that's duplication of results, and no qualified Scientist will report Ciprotab(Brand name) and Ciprofloxacin(Generic name) on the same study even as single discs. That's why the B.MLS curriculum ensures you study Pharmacology for 12 months.(PHM 321, PHM322)

But we remember your Oga Dr Enabulele erroneously declaring on a national newspaper column that Vibro cholerae is gram positive organism when in actual fact the Cholera-causing organism is Gram negative bacterium. He wrote it twice in that piece (Sun newspaper dated Nov 28. page 32, 2013). These are the people that claim to know everything about Medical Laboratory science.

1 Like

Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by docxdee(m): 11:25am On Jul 26, 2014
God blezz yhu much
Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by aluunoble: 11:26am On Jul 26, 2014
ismokeweed:

U guyz don't need to resort to verbal abuse to make ur points.....
Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by docxdee(m): 11:27am On Jul 26, 2014
deols: The doctors make demands. The government should reason and provide them for the benefit of all.

Doctors work 24/7 taking care of their patients but these patients seem to care less about what happens to those doctors.

In Liberia, the chief doctor in charge of treating people with the Ebola is said to be under treatment for the same ebola virus.

How can a Nigerian doctor, who was never appreciated all the while, go ahead and be involved when all of their demands for better healthcare infrastructure, for remuneration and for the protection of the dignity of their practice have been denied them. The same Nigerian populace, who suffer more from all these should be drumming the need to see to the needs of the doctors into the government's ears but they are too driven by sentiments and their judgemental attitude to see what is really going on.

People are dying in case none is close to you due to these strikes and the doctors have nothing to lose since the private hospitals are owned by them. Nigerians should be asking the government to do what is right!

Nurses, pharmacists etc are not consultants. They are doing almost nothing at the hospitals right now.

The dignity of the great profession must be protected.and Doctors have every right/conscience to do that.

The government has to see reason and the populace need to be reasonable as well.

God bless Nigeria.
Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by Leopantro: 11:27am On Jul 26, 2014
YourHealthlabs:

Yeah...patients/people can actually self-order tests in advanced countries, even online. It is a global practice bro. You want links and proofs?. Google is free man.

I agree with you there but in those countries you are advised to consult a doctor to interpret such results. Sometimes the results are not as straight forward as simple interpretation.
For example, you can order for a urinalysis which shows features suggestive of an infection. A lab scientist will look at the result and treat the infection. However, a doctor will notice the protein is a bit high for an infection, will ask for further test and confined that that patient has the beginning of a kidney disease and institute treatment.
Medicine is holistic, requiring everyone's input

1 Like

Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by docxdee(m): 11:28am On Jul 26, 2014
[quote author=deols]The doctors make demands. The government should reason and provide them for the benefit of all.

Doctors work 24/7 taking care of their patients but these patients seem to care less about what happens to those doctors.

In Liberia, the chief doctor in charge of treating people with the Ebola is said to be under treatment for the same ebola virus.

How can a Nigerian doctor, who was never appreciated all the while, go ahead and be involved when all of their demands for better healthcare infrastructure, for remuneration and for the protection of the dignity of their practice have been denied them. The same Nigerian populace, who suffer more from all these should be drumming the need to see to the needs of the doctors into the government's ears but they are too driven by sentiments and their judgemental attitude to see what is really going on.

People are dying in case none is close to you due to these strikes and the doctors have nothing to lose since the private hospitals are owned by them. Nigerians should be asking the government to do what is right!

Nurses, pharmacists etc are not consultants. They are doing almost nothing at the hospitals right now.

The dignity of the great profession must be protected.and Doctors have every right/conscience to do that.

The government has to see reason and the populace need to be reasonable as well.

God bless Nigeria.[God blezz yhu much]
Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by kamer: 11:29am On Jul 26, 2014
hmmm
Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by Kajiang02(m): 11:30am On Jul 26, 2014
ismokeweed:
I sell morocco. No offence taken. I should be made a consultant too as my weed helps people.

Only Morocco, why not add Libya, Algeria and the entire North-Africa.
You should be made a consultant in your field where necessary, but the NMA guys won't permit.
This NMA guys should remain where they are, we have a way as humans to adapt. Apart from handling surgeries, I don't see their Job functions again cos Nurses/midwives handle delivery through Normal Procedures.

1 Like

Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by monex(m): 11:32am On Jul 26, 2014
dexterinc2003: These 'johesuites' above no dey tire?
How many of u talking trash are willing 2 get in A bus with a confirmed ebola virus infected patient for just 1 minute?
But yall can say anything about drs who are locked up in wards all day wit patients wit all sorts(hepatitis,hiv,ebola,lassa) for N5,000 monthly hazard allowance(diaris goduoo)...
As a matter Of fact i think all health workers(cleaners included)should recieve a hazard allowance of nothing less than N100,000.
Not some ppl fighting 2 head hospitals or 2 be called consultants...get ur priorities right people.
PS: ebolavirus has no cure presently...once you get it,YOU WILL DIE!!
i ve got just one question for you: re you a doctor?

if you are then it is terribly unfortunate. i highly doubt it sha. False information that can create panic is not the approach of a doctor.

1 Like

Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by kamer: 11:32am On Jul 26, 2014
deols: Can I possibly be blamed for your dumbness??

I said up to 9yrs. That ur scope is limited to Nigeria shld not be my fault. Ode

lwkmd...so they busted your bubble and decided to play diaspora game..ok but we are discusing Nig med ass NMA, and members of NMA spent 6yrs in sch....olodo like u, come here dey talk after you might have repeated 3 times or more...abeg go set line make we discuss with drs wey spend 6yrs,only God knows how many yrs you will spend in residency..olodo oshi

2 Likes

Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by aluunoble: 11:34am On Jul 26, 2014
YourHealthlabs:

Oga..the antibiotic sensitivity multi-disc used during Antibiogram studies can not have Ciprotab and Ciprofloxacin on a multi-disc, that's duplication of results. Finally no qualified Scientist will report Ciprotab(Brand name) and Ciprofloxacin(Generic name) on the same study even as single discs. That's why the B.MLS curriculum ensures you study Pharmacology for 12 months.(PHM 321, PHM322)

But we remember your Oga Dr Enabulele erroneously declaring on a national newspaper column that Vibro cholerae is gram positive organism when in actual fact the Cholera-causing organism is Gram negative bacterium. He wrote it twice in that piece (Sun newspaper dated Nov 28. page 32, 2013). These are the people that claim to know everything about Medical Laboratory science.

ROTFLMAO da omo dat newpaper na museum things o. I hereby move a motion that the said newpaper be archived for future references! I so move!!! Abeg who wan second the motion make Mr speaker strike gavel?hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahah

3 Likes

Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by Leopantro: 11:38am On Jul 26, 2014
YourHealthlabs:

Oga..the antibiotic sensitivity multi-disc used during Antibiogram studies can not have Ciprotab and Ciprofloxacin on a multi-disc, that's duplication of results, and no qualified Scientist will report Ciprotab(Brand name) and Ciprofloxacin(Generic name) on the same study even as single discs. That's why the B.MLS curriculum ensures you study Pharmacology for 12 months.(PHM 321, PHM322)

Dude, this is what I see on a daily basis, in a tertiary hospital for that matter. Can get copies of such reports for you. Are you saying such hospitals don't employ qualified scientist?
The one I can never forget was candida sensitive to metronidazole. This was from an outside lab. I swear on my certificate
Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by kamer: 11:43am On Jul 26, 2014
walexzee11: I think you are the master of heartless breeds..... How on earth do you expect Doctors that government needs to do all it can to meet their needs,so that they can save if not all but little of Nigerian from Ebola. Aside that this doctors are in more career risk which government must even do more than expected for them.If you are a doctor will you turnup?
please who is the highest paid profession in the health sector? i tot they said that doctors enter civil service from level 12, pls who else enters at that level...if no one else then what are drs agitating for....IF NA TRUE SAY NA ONLY DRS THEY ENTER CIVIL FROM LEVEL 12 IN HEALTH SECTOR,THEN GOD MUST PUNISH THEM FOR THIS STRIKE

3 Likes

Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by Nobody: 11:51am On Jul 26, 2014
The problems bedeviling our health sector has workable solutions.

Our physicians should stop believing that the promotion of other health professionals is a stain on their ward coats. Policallly they are the most powerful in the health sector.
-They take up 99% of sits on the Board of management of every public hospitals.
-They earn the fattest pay, starting from Medical interns who earn more than even experienced Pharmacists and Scientists.
-Has anyone ever seen the the promotion list of our public hospitals--80% are usually physicians, even though they consistute just about 10% of the entire health workforce.
--and so many other advantages they have over others.

They don't have to lose this merits to allow others grow. What JOHESU is saying is--give our professionals some breathing space,if you want to lead carry everyone along, don't go asking for hazard allowance and benefits for NMA, at the same time fighting against same for nurses, scientists and cleaners. They also want to learn and grow in their respective fields. How does this affect the importance of a physician?

4 Likes

Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by ebemio: 11:55am On Jul 26, 2014
Im sure doctors are human and have a right to advocate for better work environment.
Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by Leopantro: 11:55am On Jul 26, 2014
Here's a scenario : a woman had an ulcer on her foot from which a nurse took a swab and sent to the lab. Result came out showing a culture very sensitive to genticin and moderately sensitive to another drug. The nurse started injecting the genticin. What she didn't realize was that the woman was diabetic for a long time with resultant kidney problems and that drug could destroy the kidney. When I tried to make an input, I was told to mind my business. RIP woman.
This happened during my service.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How To Naturally Get Pink Lips. / COVID-19: Three New Cases In Ogun Are Togo Returnees – Commissioner / 162 New COVID-19 Cases, 176 Discharged And 3 Deaths On Sept 5 - (1557 Tested))

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.