Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,011 members, 7,817,978 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:25 AM

Doctor's Strike And The Lagos Locum - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctor's Strike And The Lagos Locum (11923 Views)

Pharmaceutical Society Of Nigeria Faults Ministers Position On Doctor's Strike / Nigerian Nurses Thrown Into Confussion Concerning Doctor's Strike / NMA Strike And Crises In The Health Sector (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Doctor's Strike And The Lagos Locum by sogodihno: 5:53pm On Jul 26, 2014
Doctors’ Strike And The Lagos Locum.
Fashola-OK TODAY makes it 26 days when doctors under the aegis of the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) abandoned their patients in hospitals nationwide to protest against the Federal Government’s agreement with other allied health professionals who are under the umbrella of the Joint Health Sector Union (JOHESU). Medical consultants who were supposed to join in the strike, were restricted by a legal case they filed through their umbrella body, Medical and Dental Consultants’ Association of Nigeria (MDCAN) at the National Industrial Court (NIC).The case has since been adjourned to October because judges are on recess. Even NMA itself has been dragged to court by JOHESU. But while everyone is awaiting the outcome of the legal cases, it seems the Lagos State government has found a soothing balm to the challenge of incessant strikes in the healthcare sector. Today, the tension that usually heralds strikes in the healthcare sector in the state has been significantly reduced. When The Guardian visited some private hospitals in the state, it was discovered that those hospitals were not crowded by patients as it used to be during strikes by medical professionals. The situation at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH) was as if there was ongoing strike action in the medical profession. Staff at both the accident and medical emergencies of the hospital were working.A source who spoke anonymously at LASUTH said locum staff (doctors hired on contract) by the Lagos State government have made the difference. “Medical consultants along with locum doctors and other healthcare professionals are working. We have been admitting patients. I think the locum staffing phenomenon introduced by the Lagos State government sometime ago has made the difference,” the source said. Locum staffing was alien to the medical profession in Nigeria until 2012 when medical doctors and the Lagos State government locked horns over the implementation of the Consolidated Medical Salary Structure (CONMESS) signed in 2009 between Federal Government and medical doctors. Medical doctors under the umbrella of the Medical Guild went on strike. Irked by the action, the Lagos State Governor Babatunde Fashola sacked about 788 striking medical doctors. But there was a big void to fill. To fill that it, the state government recruited locum medical officers, but not without signing a contract with the contract medical doctors.Details of the terms of contract revealed that the locums are not employees of the state government but contract staff that can be fired at will. The terms of operation also revealed that they have no right to unionism or collective bargaining, and they cannot embark on strikes or any industrial action to seek redress. The only option available to them when they have grievances is mediation. The terms of engagement also reveal that since there is no guaranteed income for them, the locum staff will be paid between N5, 000 to N7, 000 for every four hours worked. The crisis was later resolved. But unlike what many observers had thought, the locum staff remained, even while the employed medical doctors returned to work. According to the Wikipedia, a locum is a person who temporarily fulfills the duties of another. Locum is a global practice. Wikipedia explains: “In the UK, the NHS (National Health Service) on average has 3,500 locum doctors working in hospitals on any given day, with another 15,500 locum general practitioners. Many of these locum hospital doctors are supplied by private agencies through a national frame work agreement that the NHS holds with 51 private agencies.”Until the ongoing strike, many people had forgotten that locum has become a part of Lagos State medical practice. Affirming how the locum staff practice has become a soothing pill to the strike headache in Lagos, a consultant gynaecologist with LASUTH, Dr. Paul Adekoya (not his real name) said: “Lagos State government has tied our hands with locum staff practice.” He added that the contract type of employment has been effective in reducing the effects of the ongoing nationwide strike. The state government has since expanded the scenario to other healthcare professionals, including nurses, radiographers among others. It was learnt that the Lagos State government decided to retain the system to curtail the negative effects of strikes in the nation’s healthcare system. Some other public hospitals not owned by the Lagos State government, it was also gathered, have started hiring locum staff. At the Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH), it was discovered that locum staffing has been adopted in the recruitment of gatemen, cleaners and non-medical professionals. However, as good as the practice may seem in stabilizing the healthcare system, there are fears in some quarters that it may lead to unemployment in the medical sector if continued. “Locum staffing is good for the patient, but bad for the person engaged as locum staff. Government may, as a result of the practice, deliberately refuse to give jobs to qualified medical person,” Mr. Alex Akanji, a pharmacist with the Lagos State government, said. While many people may attribute the relative stability in government hospitals to the locum staffing, a medical sociologist with Crawford University , Dr. John Ayodele, thinks otherwise. Citing a research that was conducted in Canada, he averred that the absence of patients in private hospitals may be because Lagos residents have learnt how to live in a healthy way.“A research that was done in Canada some years ago showed that when medical doctors go on strike, there was a decrease in medical problems because people were proactive; they were taking action that would positively affect their health so that they would not see any need to go hospital,” Ayodele said

2 Likes

Re: Doctor's Strike And The Lagos Locum by Mynd44: 6:18pm On Jul 26, 2014

2 Likes

Re: Doctor's Strike And The Lagos Locum by Mynd44: 6:20pm On Jul 26, 2014
Hate them or love them, you can't help but respect the Lagos state Government....

Good stuff

32 Likes

Re: Doctor's Strike And The Lagos Locum by Chibuke56: 6:21pm On Jul 26, 2014
Just passing by. Abeg let d doctors call of d strike 4 hw long wil dey kip dis up
Re: Doctor's Strike And The Lagos Locum by Chibuke56: 6:22pm On Jul 26, 2014
Just passing by abeg let d doctor call of d strike 4 hw long will dey kip dis up.

2 Likes

Re: Doctor's Strike And The Lagos Locum by Babyboy1986(m): 6:22pm On Jul 26, 2014
Make i book FP now...

I made it...

1 Like

Re: Doctor's Strike And The Lagos Locum by smudge2079(m): 6:22pm On Jul 26, 2014
Who need a doctor??.? , am my own doctor!
Re: Doctor's Strike And The Lagos Locum by Nobody: 6:23pm On Jul 26, 2014
Dogtos.
Re: Doctor's Strike And The Lagos Locum by whobemumu(m): 6:24pm On Jul 26, 2014
Fp
Re: Doctor's Strike And The Lagos Locum by DJDOLA(m): 6:24pm On Jul 26, 2014
Its all good
Re: Doctor's Strike And The Lagos Locum by hensben(m): 6:26pm On Jul 26, 2014
Chibuke56: Just passing by abeg let d doctor call of d strike 4 hw long will dey kip dis up.
y comment twice? Mehn! It sucks to be you.

2 Likes

Re: Doctor's Strike And The Lagos Locum by adekayo1234(m): 6:26pm On Jul 26, 2014
Can someone please summarise the passage for me? The only news i want to hear about this NMA strike is that Doctors are back at their duty post and some of their reasonable demands have been met. shikena

2 Likes

Re: Doctor's Strike And The Lagos Locum by tbagjames(m): 6:27pm On Jul 26, 2014
STRIKE. This is one word that has continously been placed at the peak of the preference scale when it should only be a last resort. It has at some point worked well but the masses who are supposed to be protected become the victims of the strike. However, if the government wouls have kept its side of the bargain, strike wouldnt have been an option at all.
Re: Doctor's Strike And The Lagos Locum by adekayo1234(m): 6:28pm On Jul 26, 2014
hensben: y comment twice? Mehn! It sucks to be you.
e be like say na today you just hear that phrase, anyway contunu grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Doctor's Strike And The Lagos Locum by Chibuke56: 6:29pm On Jul 26, 2014
hensben: y comment twice? Mehn! It sucks to be you.
mistake nau... d first tyme i did nt see my comment xo i nau typed it again. Geez!
Re: Doctor's Strike And The Lagos Locum by skimarvel: 6:29pm On Jul 26, 2014
Nice move...maybe the FG should adopt this strategy
Re: Doctor's Strike And The Lagos Locum by Donjcco(m): 6:32pm On Jul 26, 2014
i was here
Re: Doctor's Strike And The Lagos Locum by shadowwalker101: 6:32pm On Jul 26, 2014
[img]http://www.?aff=391[/img]
Its all good
Re: Doctor's Strike And The Lagos Locum by Drdreluv: 6:32pm On Jul 26, 2014
Good thinking other state should follow suit haba....Work is love made visible. And if you cannot work with love but only with distaste, it is better that you should leave your work and sit at the gate of the temple and take alms of those who work with joy.
Khalil Gibran
Re: Doctor's Strike And The Lagos Locum by Leopantro: 6:32pm On Jul 26, 2014
I think it is a good move. You are employed based on your qualification. You are sacked when the government is removed
Re: Doctor's Strike And The Lagos Locum by Smartlux(m): 6:33pm On Jul 26, 2014
cry
Re: Doctor's Strike And The Lagos Locum by Wittywizard(m): 6:34pm On Jul 26, 2014
Locum or no Locum. Even if the state government are suppose to bring about the locum workers, what about those medical practionary who are without work...
The Lagos State government should try and settle their scores with the Medical Doctors.

2 Likes

Re: Doctor's Strike And The Lagos Locum by priscaoge(f): 6:34pm On Jul 26, 2014
Babyboy1986: Make i book FP now...

I make it...
It's 'Made'....Thank me later broundecided

4 Likes

Re: Doctor's Strike And The Lagos Locum by masquellett(m): 6:35pm On Jul 26, 2014
Doctors! Don't joke with them.

1 Like

Re: Doctor's Strike And The Lagos Locum by priscaoge(f): 6:36pm On Jul 26, 2014
Mynd44: Hate them or love them, you can't help but respect the Lagos state Government....

Good stuff
I agree with u on this!!!!

When u can't change the direction of the wind,U adjust Ur sails....Max DePree
Re: Doctor's Strike And The Lagos Locum by Sylvarresta(m): 6:38pm On Jul 26, 2014
Summary please, I just finished reading for exam, I can't add dis novel to it.

1 Like

Re: Doctor's Strike And The Lagos Locum by PapTzy(m): 6:39pm On Jul 26, 2014
Kudos to the Lagos state Government.
I doubt if Lagos will get someone like Governor B. R. Fashola in next year's election. His approach to governance and initiatives have been wonderful. It's just a pity that his dream of making Lagos a mega city could not be completed in 8 years.

God bless Fashola.
God bless Lagos state... Eko o ni baje oooo
and God Bless NIGERIA.

7 Likes

Re: Doctor's Strike And The Lagos Locum by McLuhan(m): 6:39pm On Jul 26, 2014
While I agree that workers have a right to agitate for higher wages, I think the penchant for strikes among medical practitioners in Nigeria is the result of avarice, arrogance and contempt for human life.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Akin Abayomi: I Didn't Test Positive For Coronavirus / Drug Or Injections: Which Do You Prefer? / Ondo Sends Lassa Fever Patient Back To Edo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.