Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,443 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:40 AM

OPINION:Why I Advise Bornagain To Choose Celebacy To Marriage - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / OPINION:Why I Advise Bornagain To Choose Celebacy To Marriage (3848 Views)

What does bornagain mean? / Which Bornagain Christian Can Do This? / Pls I Need A True Bornagain Christian To Tell Me What Lev:19:19b Means (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

OPINION:Why I Advise Bornagain To Choose Celebacy To Marriage by Nobody: 1:12pm On Aug 01, 2014
for many years the preaching of 'biblical singlehood' has vanished from the pupit and is no longer heard.why?as christains shouldn't we proclaim the whole counsel of GOD.when a born again informs parent of his/her decision to remain chaste for his bride(christ),the person looks weird or dumb.
marriage, i must confess is fun especially the fun,companionship,sex but it also has its problem.i have discovered that in life due to the fall everything has its 'diminishing returns'.using sex as an example,in the first year of marriage sex is done pleasurablely and virtually everyweek but after 3-4years,the law of diminishing return crops in and is carried out less frequently if we project another 7years sighs ah!one would prefer sleeping all night.this reminds of a quote by CS lewis he said'if i find in me a desire which nothing in this world can satisfy the only logical explanation is i was made for another world'.
after the first 3years or even less in marriage reality creeps in with its countless problems ranging from childrens fees,to financial burden,emotional instability,problem with conception,feeding and the list goes on and on and on even little problems could generate deep acrimony,sometimes one could spend a lifetime settling quarrels, making up for wrong etc.even 'perfect' marriage has challenges that may not necessarily be caused by any partner. marriage in itself is no cure to loneliness because in some cases one partner dies sooner or unexpected than may be realised
ok,now what saith the scripture?Christ said in matthew 19VS12'some made themselves eunuch for the sake of God's kingdom'in essence Christ is saying some have renouced marrige to serve God better.yes, it's true man would be rewarded on judgement day based on our deed,dedication to the things of GOD,and commitment.apostle paul elaborated in 1cor7 about the great benefit of remaining single with a clause'self control' well,since self control is a fruit of the spirit GAL5vs16 every truly regenerate evergrowing in santification child of GOD must possese it,to claim being bornagain without selfcontrol is ridiculous, and absurd though i acknowledge God's sovereignity in placing 'thorn in the flesh'. because God is infinite no amount of time is ever sufficient to serving him consequently mortal man has to devise every available means to carryout his very purpose of existence which of course is worshipping God.
. sometimes marriage may debar one from carrying out spiritual exercise with ease for instance pregnant and nursing mother are almost always spiritually retarded during this period because of one problem or another and it continues for a very long time through out the span of raising kids.ah!see wasted time.
sexual relations in marriage is good.but from a spiritual lens it makes man less holy.what?yes,i spoke the truth but it may be very difficult to grasp and lengthy to explain if we recall God's command to the isrealite as he appeared in mount sinai each couple were to refrain from sexual relations 3 days prior to his arrival (Exod19) why? figure that out.even in fasting or other spiritual activity there should be no sexual relations.why? even after sexual relations the couples were unclean for a whole day and not till sun down,the book of hebrew tells us the law is a shadow of things(jesus)to come.clearly,the defilement couldn't have lasted that long if there was no.......
if you have selfcontrol keep yourself from the entaglement of marriage and serve God better and better as you live to enjoy your maker.

2 Likes

Re: OPINION:Why I Advise Bornagain To Choose Celebacy To Marriage by lomaxx: 1:39pm On Aug 01, 2014
Young man, keep your doctrines and personal dogma to yourself. Don't go about contaminating people with your ideas. If you feel being married is not good for you, then by all means stay unmarried and enjoy your solitude. You're very entitled to it. Don't feel because you are pleased with what you're doing, then others should follow suit. Your choices are your business. Rubbish!!!

1 Like

Re: OPINION:Why I Advise Bornagain To Choose Celebacy To Marriage by PastorOluT(m): 2:43pm On Aug 01, 2014
lomaxx: Young man, keep your doctrines and personal dogma to yourself. Don't go about contaminating people with your ideas. If you feel being married is not good for you, then by all means stay unmarried and enjoy your solitude. You're very entitled to it. Don't feel because you are pleased with what you're doing, then others should follow suit. Your choices are your business. Rubbish!!!

Cool down, the guy said nothing out of the scriptures, the only thing i see wrong there was the topic advising others to celibacy, that is strictly a personal thing n not a doctrine for all.

Just like the scripture he quoted, Jesus said some were born eunuch, some made eunuch by men, while some also made themselves eunuch for the sake of the kingdom. And He conclude by saying its a gift, which means not for everyone Mathew 19:10-12.

NB Maybe the topic should have read, 'The gift of celibacy' or something.
Re: OPINION:Why I Advise Bornagain To Choose Celebacy To Marriage by Nobody: 3:03pm On Aug 01, 2014
@lomsaxx if i had began to sermonize on the benefits of marriage you would have probably hit like,but because i was discussing the other side of the menu which of course is very unique.you conclude "i'm dogmatic".

1 Like

Re: OPINION:Why I Advise Bornagain To Choose Celebacy To Marriage by Ubenedictus(m): 9:58pm On Aug 01, 2014
This was the last topic i expected to see today!

In protestant christianity celibacy has been historically viewed as an unnatural, unwanted, silly baggage, this is the last topics you'll ever hear from a pastors pulpit. Those who even preach celibacy are seen as teaching something unnatural, many on nairaland ignorantly say that celibacy will make a straight person gay or turn him into a pedophile. These are unfortunate insinuations that make celibacy a terrible topic in most churches.

I have only heard an evangelical pastor preach celibacy once and ofcourse the congregation didn't come to church that day with the hope of hearing such wierd sermons.

I hope maybe in the next 100yrs (if the world survives till then), the protestant churches will gain a better appreciation of celibacy.

2 Likes

Re: OPINION:Why I Advise Bornagain To Choose Celebacy To Marriage by Syncan(m): 7:15am On Aug 02, 2014
lomaxx: Young man, keep your doctrines and personal dogma to yourself. Don't go about contaminating people with your ideas. If you feel being married is not good for you, then by all means stay unmarried and enjoy your solitude. You're very entitled to it. Don't feel because you are pleased with what you're doing, then others should follow suit. Your choices are your business. Rubbish!!!

As has just been said: “Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts as you did in the rebellion.” Heb 3:15
Re: OPINION:Why I Advise Bornagain To Choose Celebacy To Marriage by Syncan(m): 7:20am On Aug 02, 2014
A good piece. Thinking outside the box to grasp the truths of scripture. I agree with PastorOluT on the title, I wish the mods could modify it and make front page for discussion.

Tagging Mynd44 for recommendation.
Re: OPINION:Why I Advise Bornagain To Choose Celebacy To Marriage by iamodenigbo1(m): 8:10am On Aug 02, 2014
why are you sounding as if he is forcing you to take his opinion? he just gave an advice or rather å suggestion.if you. dont like it just jeje jeje waka pass simple.
Re: OPINION:Why I Advise Bornagain To Choose Celebacy To Marriage by Zikdik(m): 9:09am On Aug 02, 2014
Na wa for Christians oh. Sex before marriage, wrong. Marriage itself, wrong.
Thinking of it, the world needs less idiots and lesser baby idiots.
Just cut the something and die.
Re: OPINION:Why I Advise Bornagain To Choose Celebacy To Marriage by SalC: 9:22am On Aug 02, 2014
Op you must be a rare protestant because a lot of the protestants today believe celibacy is a no go area or its even a crime, they see more of where God said "God into the world, and multiply," than where Jesus said there are many reasons why men cannot marry.

Though it just your opinion or suggestion, the part of this post I don't quite agree with is the part you want to make celibacy. "A born again thing".

Jesus said there are many reasons why MEN cannot marry and I believe this cut across all and sundry not just born agains. Reading through that verse Matt 19:12 you can help but discover some of this men don't marry not because they want to please God but because they were born Eunuchs or made eunuchs by men.

In all celibacy is good for those who in one way or the other are called to it and are willing to live that way.
Re: OPINION:Why I Advise Bornagain To Choose Celebacy To Marriage by Syncan(m): 9:38am On Aug 02, 2014
SalC: Op you must be a rare protestant because a lot of the protestants today believe celibacy is a no go area or its even a crime, they see more of where God said "God into the world, and multiply," than where Jesus said there are many reasons why men cannot marry.

Though it just your opinion or suggestion, the part of this post I don't quite agree with is the part you want to make celibacy. "A born again thing".

Jesus said there are many reasons why MEN cannot marry and I believe this cut across all and sundry not just born agains. Reading through that verse Matt 19:12 you can help but discover some of this men don't marry not because they want to please God but because they were born Eunuchs or made eunuchs by men.

In all celibacy is good for those who in one way or the other are called to it and are willing to live that way.

I think you didn't quite get the OP right, his message is to a particular people, "Those who seek the Kingdom of heaven(Christians)", hence even though there are other reasons, the OP is in this piece, only interested in that group that "became eunuch for the sake of the kingdom of heaven".
Re: OPINION:Why I Advise Bornagain To Choose Celebacy To Marriage by SalC: 9:55am On Aug 02, 2014
Syncan:

I think you didn't quite get the OP right, his message is to a particular people, "Those who seek the Kingdom of heaven(Christians)", hence even though there are other reasons, the OP is in this piece, only interested in that group that "became eunuch for the sake of the kingdom of heaven".
Ok cool.

Yet I already saw atheists whining over Christian's issues, let them not skin me alive now that they know they too may not get married for other reasons.

Thanks for the clarification.

1 Like

Re: OPINION:Why I Advise Bornagain To Choose Celebacy To Marriage by Nobody: 10:36am On Aug 02, 2014
thanks,folks for contributing.
Re: OPINION:Why I Advise Bornagain To Choose Celebacy To Marriage by Nobody: 4:50pm On Aug 02, 2015
@Op I agree 100%.This is really a strong meat.May the Lord 'kill' our sexual urge.
Re: OPINION:Why I Advise Bornagain To Choose Celebacy To Marriage by LordReed(m): 7:23pm On Aug 02, 2015
tyuhd:
@Op I agree 100%.This is really a strong meat.May the Lord 'kill' our sexual urge.

Who gave you sexual urges, the devil?

1 Like

Re: OPINION:Why I Advise Bornagain To Choose Celebacy To Marriage by Nobody: 10:06am On Aug 04, 2015
LordReed:

Who gave you sexual urges, the devil?
God did!but we all agree that most men and women marry to fufil sexual desire and there is a sense in which sexual relations even in marriage makes one sinful and unholy.The fact that God ordains a thing doesn't necessary mean it is holy,see david for instance,God commanded and even providentially set some wars before him and yet God told him not to build a temple in honour of his name because he had shed so much blood..the human race had to replenish the earth through God ordained means--sex.but in latter revelation Christ encourages and even persuade his listener to embrace celebacy which is superior to marriage
Btw i'm not saying i've sexual urge as that,i was only praying that God deliver men and women from.....
Re: OPINION:Why I Advise Bornagain To Choose Celebacy To Marriage by LordReed(m): 10:19am On Aug 04, 2015
tyuhd:

God did!but we all agree that most men and women marry to fufil sexual desire and there is a sense in which sexual relations even in marriage makes one sinful and unholy.The fact that God ordains a thing doesn't necessary mean it is holy,see david for instance,God commanded and even providentially set some wars before him and yet God told him not to build a temple in honour of his name because he had shed so much blood..the human race had to replenish the earth through God ordained means--sex.but in latter revelation Christ encourages and even persuade his listener to embrace celebacy which is superior to marriage
Btw i'm not saying i've sexual urge as that,i was only praying that God deliver men and women from.....

Please quote book, chapter and verse
Re: OPINION:Why I Advise Bornagain To Choose Celebacy To Marriage by Nobody: 10:34am On Aug 04, 2015
LordReed:

Please quote book, chapter and verse
Read Matt 19:4-12. infact in verse 11 He says not everyone can accept it
Re: OPINION:Why I Advise Bornagain To Choose Celebacy To Marriage by LordReed(m): 10:52am On Aug 04, 2015
tyuhd:

Read Matt 19:4-12. infact in verse 11 He says not everyone can accept it

Matthew 19:4-12King James Version (KJV)

4 And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,

5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?

6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

7 They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?

8 He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.

9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

10 His disciples say unto him, If the case of the man be so with his wife, it is not good to marry.

11 But he said unto them, All men cannot receive this saying, save they to whom it is given.

12 For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it.

Please highlight where Jesus says celibacy is superior to marriage and where he encouraged everyone to be celibate.
Re: OPINION:Why I Advise Bornagain To Choose Celebacy To Marriage by ayoku777(m): 11:30am On Aug 04, 2015
rev14vs11:

if you have selfcontrol keep yourself from the entaglement of marriage and serve God better and better as you live to enjoy your maker.

We should learn to explain scriptures in the Spirit and not take verses out of context.

Even Jesus Christ has a bride -the church. Some of the people that will be the greatest in the kingdom of God in the millenial reign of Christ were all married -Enoch, Abraham, Moses.

To say those who are celibate or unmarried serve God better than those who are not, or they advance God's kingdom better than those who are not; or will be greater in the age to come than those who are not, is not necessarily true.

God called a woman a help. How can choosing to get married and have a "help" be counter-productive to kingdom service or make you serve God-less dedicatively. That means relative to the service of the kingdom, a woman is not a help. And that is not true.

Even Jesus is not coming to sit on the throne of His kingdom on earth until His bride is ready. It shows marriage is important to the kingdom.

If God asks you to be celibate, fine; but don't make it a doctrine -the instruction is relative to you. But it doesn't make you more dedicated to God than someone who is married; neither will it make you greater in the age to come.

Celibacy is not a doctrine, like fasting and prayer -something every christian can do and should do. It is a calling like being a Pastor and evangelist. If God asks you to be celibate; fine. But a celibate christian is not greater than a married christian; just like a christian pastor is not greater than a christian doctor or christian politician.

Shalom
Re: OPINION:Why I Advise Bornagain To Choose Celebacy To Marriage by LordReed(m): 11:40am On Aug 04, 2015
ayoku777:

We should learn to explain scriptures in the Spirit and not take verses out of context.

Even Jesus Christ has a bride -the church. Some of the people that will be the greatest in the kingdom of God in the millenial reign of Christ were all married -Enoch, Abraham, Moses.

To say those who are celibate or unmarried serve God better than those who are not, or they advance God's kingdom better than those who are not; or will be greater in the age to come than those who are not, is not necessarily true.

God called a woman a help. How can choosing to get married and have a "help" be counter-productive to kingdom service or make you serve God-less dedicatively. That means relative to the service of the kingdom, a woman is not a help. And that is not true.

Even Jesus is not coming to sit on the throne of His kingdom on earth until His bride is ready. It shows marriage is important to the kingdom.

If God asks you to be celibate, fine; but don't make it a doctrine -the instruction is relative to you. But it doesn't make you more dedicated to God than someone who is married; neither will it make you greater in the age to come.

Celibacy is not a doctrine, like fasting and prayer -something every christian can do and should do. It is a calling like being a Pastor and evangelist. If God asks you to be celibate; fine. But a celibate christian is not greater than a married christian; just like a christian pastor is not greater than a christian doctor or christian politician.

Shalom

Well said.
Re: OPINION:Why I Advise Bornagain To Choose Celebacy To Marriage by Nobody: 9:14pm On Aug 04, 2015
LordReed:

Please highlight where Jesus says celibacy is superior to marriage and where he encouraged everyone to be celibate.
I hope u believe all scripture is inspired1Tim 3:16 and as such no one scripture is greater or of more importance than the other.In this case i think it will be helpful we compare scripture and see what it says
1 Corinthians 7:38 So the person who marries his fiancée does well, and the person who doesn’t marry does even better.This Verse has said it point-blank ,we need no other arguement.In The verse i previously quotedi.e Matt19 the question we ought to ask ourselves is:why did the said,'enunch' forsake marriage?of course for the kingdom's sake and u will recall Christ promise when He said,He that forsakes father or mother etc for heaven's sake shall receieve100 folds.Now if celebacy,which involves a higher degree of sacrifice and ... then it stands even to reason that it is superior to marriage.celebates have given much than you could possibly realise.In Luke 20:34-35 Jesus replied, “Marriage is for people here on earth. But in the age to come, those worthy of being raised from the dead will neither marry nor be given in marriage.So if celebates have begun to live in that light even in time then certainly it must be superior.
Re: OPINION:Why I Advise Bornagain To Choose Celebacy To Marriage by ayoku777(m): 9:40pm On Aug 04, 2015
tyuhd:

I hope u believe all scripture is inspired1Tim 3:16 and as such no one scripture is greater or of more importance than the other.In this case i think it will be helpful we compare scripture and see what it says
1 Corinthians 7:38 So the person who marries his fiancée does well, and the person who doesn’t marry does even better.This Verse has said it point-blank ,we need no other arguement.

The word of God is truly inspired, even so it should be understood and interpreted in context.

That verse you quoted:

1Cor 7v38 -So then he that giveth her in marriage doeth well; but he that giveth her not in marriage doeth better.

Now, look at how Paul began that paragraph in verse 25;

1Cor 7v25 -Now concerning virgins I have no commandment of the Lord: yet I give MY judgment, as one that hath obtained mercy of the Lord to be faithful.

Can you see? So Paul here was expressing his own opinion or judgment, not the Lord's. And he was humble enough to admit it. There is a difference between an instruction from the Lord and an opinion from a man of God

You can't establish personal opinion as doctrine -not even the opinion of a man of God.

Look again at how Paul ended that chapter in verse 40:

1Cor 7v40 -But she is happier if she so abide, after MY judgment: and I think also that I have the Spirit of God.

Paul was humble enough to admit that this was purely his opinion and not an instruction from the Lord. As I said, there is a difference between an instruction from God and an opinion from a man of God. So while we may take his opinion under advicement, we should not preach it as doctrine.

Being celibate will not make you greater in the age to come than those who got married. Many of the heroes of the faith who will be the greatest in the age to come were not celibate -they were married.

Even Peter, the Head apostle and Father of the founding fathers of the church age, was a married man.

Don't establish doctrine with personal opinion of men. You can take personal opinion under advicement, but don't make a doctrine out of it.

Celibacy does not make one greater, or even necessarily more spiritual than the married.

Shalom

1 Like

Re: OPINION:Why I Advise Bornagain To Choose Celebacy To Marriage by Nobody: 10:38pm On Aug 04, 2015
ayoku777:

The word of God is truly inspired, even so it should be understood and interpreted in context.

That verse you quoted:

1Cor 7v38 -So then he that giveth her in marriage doeth well; but he that giveth her not in marriage doeth better.

1Cor 7v25 -Now concerning virgins I have no commandment of the Lord: yet I give MY judgment, as one that hath obtained mercy of the Lord to be faithful.

Can you see? So Paul here was expressing his own opinion or judgment, not the Lord's. And he was humble enough to admit it. There is a difference between an instruction from the Lord and an opinion from a man of God

You can't establish personal opinion as doctrine -not even the opinion of a man of God.

1Cor 7v40 -But she is happier if she so abide, after MY judgment: and I think also that I have the Spirit of God.

Paul was humble enough to admit that this was purely his opinion and not an instruction from the Lord. As I said, there is a difference between an instruction from God and an opinion from a man of God. So while we may take his opinion under advicement, we should not preach it as doctrine.

Being celibate will not make you greater in the age to come than those who got married. Many of the heroes of the faith who will be the greatest in the age to come were not celibate -they were married.

Even Peter, the Head apostle and Father of the founding fathers of the church age, was a married man.

Don't establish doctrine with personal opinion of men. You can take personal opinion under advicement, but don't make a doctrine out of it.

Celibacy does not make one greater, or even necessarily more spiritual than the married.

Shalom
First we must realise that,whether it was Paul's Judgement or not,It matters little!afterall He clearly affirmed the divine authority in this book,declaring what he wrote as “words…the Holy Spirit teaches”(1Cor.2:13).Indeed,he concludes the book by saying,“the things whichI write to you are the commandments of the Lord”(14:37).So his words in chapter 7 should be taken in harmony with other passages of scripture.I've a question for you,Is a believer who habitually mortifies the deeds of the flesh,practice self denial etc necessarily holier than one who doesn't?Absolutely!so how can u imagine, a celebate who lives wholly for God's glory not necessarily than a married who is encumbered by many many things
Re: OPINION:Why I Advise Bornagain To Choose Celebacy To Marriage by LordReed(m): 10:56pm On Aug 04, 2015
ayoku777:

That verse you quoted:

Shalom

I think some of these "singleness is better" folk need a way to comfort themselves that the sacrifice they are making is worth it and end up exaggerating the emphasis the scripture places on the subject. Thanks again for making scripture clear.
Re: OPINION:Why I Advise Bornagain To Choose Celebacy To Marriage by LordReed(m): 11:01pm On Aug 04, 2015
tyuhd:

1 Corinthians 7:38 So the person who marries his fiancée does well, and the person who doesn’t marry does even better.This Verse has said it point-blank ,we need no other arguement.In The verse i previously quotedi.e Matt19 the question we ought to ask ourselves is:why did the said,'enunch' forsake marriage?of course for the kingdom's sake and u will recall Christ promise when He said,He that forsakes father or mother etc for heaven's sake shall receieve100 folds.Now if celebacy,which involves a higher degree of sacrifice and ... then it stands even to reason that it is superior to marriage.celebates have given much than you could possibly realise.In Luke 20:34-35 Jesus replied, “Marriage is for people here on earth. But in the age to come, those worthy of being raised from the dead will neither marry nor be given in marriage.So if celebates have begun to live in that light even in time then certainly it must be superior.

This is all conjecture as Jesus did not say celibacy is superior nor did He even remotely say that celibate people have more reward.
Re: OPINION:Why I Advise Bornagain To Choose Celebacy To Marriage by ayoku777(m): 11:42pm On Aug 04, 2015
tyuhd:

First we must realise that,whether it was Paul's Judgement or not,It matters little!afterall He clearly affirmed the divine authority in this book,declaring what he wrote as “words…the Holy Spirit teaches”(1Cor.2:13).Indeed,he concludes the book by saying,“the things whichI write to you are the commandments of the Lord”(14:37).So his words in chapter 7 should be taken in harmony with other passages of scripture.I've a question for you,Is a believer who habitually mortifies the deeds of the flesh,practice self denial etc necessarily holier than one who doesn't?Absolutely!so how can u imagine, a celebate who lives wholly for God's glory not necessarily than a married who is encumbered by many many things

There is such a thing as "rightly dividing the word of truth" (2Tim 2v15).

You want to jumble the chapters together so that you can claim that both places where Paul said he had "no instructions from the Lord" (1Cor 7v25) and where he said "these are the commandments of the Lord" (1Cor 14v37) are referring to the entire instructions in the whole book.

That's not true.

If you truly hold the scriptures in authority as you claim, then you should agree that when Paul said he had no instruction from the Lord on virgins and celibacy, then whatever he said there were not instructions from the Lord but his opinion. And that when he later said, "these are commandments from the Lord", it obviously excludes his judgments and opinion about celibacy.

That is how to rightly divide the word of truth. Unless you want to be vaguely evasive with scriptural interpretation.

The commandments of the Lord and the judgments/opinions of Paul are not the same thing. Don't make them the same thing. And don't say it matters little just to achieve your end.

And what do you mean a celibate lives wholly for the glory of God and a married person doesn't?

So loving your wife as Christ loved the church is not living for God's glory? Bringing up your child in the way of the Lord is not living for God's glory? Even using the love, peace and harmony in your home as a tool of witness to unbelievers, is not living for God's glory?

Let me tell you, the marital life of married people can bring glory and praises to God as much as the celibacy of the unmarried.

Let me show you this scripture.

1Tim 2v15 -Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

Can you see that verse?

One of the ways a woman can serve God and work out her salvation is in childbearing and child-upbringing. Which can only happen within the confines of marriage and matrimony.

So contrary to your opinion, marriage actually creates avenues to serve God and glorify Him in ways not possible outside marriage.

Shalom.
Re: OPINION:Why I Advise Bornagain To Choose Celebacy To Marriage by Nobody: 12:12am On Aug 05, 2015
ayoku777:

There is such a thing as "rightly dividing the word of truth" (2Tim 2v15).

You want to jumble the chapters together so that you can claim that both places where Paul said he had "no instructions from the Lord" (1Cor 7v25) and where he said "these are the commandments of the Lord" (1Cor 14v37) are referring specifically to all the instructions in the entire book.

That's not true.

If you truly hold the scriptures in authority as you claim, then you should agree that when Paul said he had no instruction from the Lord on virgins and celibacy, then whatever he said there were not instructions from the Lord but his opinion. And that when he later said, "these are commandments from the Lord", it obviously excludes his judgments and opinion about celibacy.

That is how to rightly divide the word of truth. Unless you want to be vaguely evasive with scriptural interpretation.

The commandments of the Lord and the judgments/opinions of Paul are not the same thing. Don't dishonestly make them the same thing. And don't say it matters little just to achieve your end.

And what do you mean a celibate lives wholly for the glory of God and a married person doesn't?

So loving your wife as Christ loved the church is not living for God's glory? Bringing up your child in the way of the Lord is not living for God's glory? Even using the love, peace and harmony in your home as a tool of witness to unbelievers, is not living for God's glory?

Let me tell you, the marital life of married people can bring glory and praises to God as much as the celibacy of the unmarried.

Let me show you this scripture.

1Tim 2v15 -Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

Can you see that verse?

One of the ways a woman can serve God and work out her salvation is in childbearing and child-upbringing. Which can only happen within the confines of marriage and matrimony.

So contrary to your opinion, marriage actually creates avenues to serve God and glorify Him in ways not possible outside marriage.

Shalom.
Sir,I can see you're resolved to in your prejudice,so let me leave it at,that afterall when christ was commending celebacy he said not when will accept it Matt 19:11
shalom.
Re: OPINION:Why I Advise Bornagain To Choose Celebacy To Marriage by ayoku777(m): 12:54am On Aug 05, 2015
tyuhd:

Sir,I can see you're resolved to in your prejudice,so let me leave it at,that afterall when christ was commending celebacy he said not when will accept it Matt 19:11
shalom.

Where is the prejudice here? I have used scriptural verses for every opinion I've raised.

Celibacy is good, but what I'm trying to correct is your claim that it is better than marriage. That is not true and Jesus never said or even implied that.

Jesus said,

All men cannot receive this saying save they to whom it is given. -Matthew 19v11

He didn't make it a matter of greater strenght or superior spirituality, but a matter of calling.

If a man does not accept celibacy, it is because it is not his calling; it is not because he is not spiritual enough or love God enough.

The same God that calls some into celibacy is the same God that joins others together in holy matrimony. And both are for his glory and his kingdom.

The sacrifices a celibate person makes for the glory of God is not greater than the sacrifices a married person makes for the glory of God.

A married person makes sacrifices and denies himself many things to glorify and please God in his marriage, the same way a celibate makes sacrifices in his own way to please God in his celibacy. And none is greater than the other.

Apostle Paul that was celibate is not greater than Apostle Peter that was married. If Paul will be greater than Peter in the age to come, it will not be in the context of celibacy versus marriage.

This is the point or record I was trying to set straight. There is no competition or battle of supremacy between celibacy and marriage. You can please and glorify God under both through the Spirit.

Shalom.

1 Like

Re: OPINION:Why I Advise Bornagain To Choose Celebacy To Marriage by LordReed(m): 6:12am On Aug 05, 2015
tyuhd:

shalom.

There is nothing prejudiced about it. He did not say celibacy should be avoided or that it is bad so what prejudice is evident? You simply need to accept that celibacy is a calling and not all can do it, it's that simple.
Re: OPINION:Why I Advise Bornagain To Choose Celebacy To Marriage by Nobody: 9:40am On Aug 05, 2015
ayoku777:

Where is the prejudice here? I have used scriptural verses for every opinion I've raised.

Celibacy is good, but what I'm trying to correct is your claim that it is better than marriage. That is not true and Jesus never said or even implied that.

Jesus said,

All men cannot receive this saying save they to whom it is given. -Matthew 19v11

He didn't make it a matter of greater strenght or superior spirituality, but a matter of calling.

If a man does not accept celibacy, it is because it is not his calling; it is not because he is not spiritual enough or love God enough.

The same God that calls some into celibacy is the same God that joins others together in holy matrimony. And both are for his glory and his kingdom.

The sacrifices a celibate person makes for the glory of God is not greater than the sacrifices a married person makes for the glory of God.

A married person makes sacrifices and denies himself many things to glorify and please God in his marriage, the same way a celibate makes sacrifices in his own way to please God in his celibacy. And none is greater than the other.

Apostle Paul that was celibate is not greater than Apostle Peter that was married. If Paul will be greater than Peter in the age to come, it will not be in the context of celibacy versus marriage.

This is the point or record I was trying to set straight. There is no competition or battle of supremacy between celibacy and marriage. You can please and glorify God under both through the Spirit.

Shalom.
Sir I hope u understand what i've written because it's a bit difficult typing here.
Ok,even if I'm forced to admit celebacy is a 'calling',are all callings of same cadre?aren't there greater callings?Remember 1 Corinthians 14:5....but even more I wish you could all prophesy.For prophecy is GREATER than speaking in tongues,...and yet it is the same Spirit who calls to these offices 1 Cor12:1.Are We all Sons of God John 1:12 in the same way as Christ? or are there offspring of Adam greater than John the Baptist?Wasn't He called to a position of greater Honour?Again Sir,if you're convinced celebacy is a 'calling' then we necessarily have to conclude same for marriage.But this is where the rubber meets the road--HOW CAN A MAN BE CALLED TO AN OFFICE HE IS VERY IGNORANT OF AND ALL THE WHILE HE IS IN ENMITY TO THE CALLER--A Wordling who decides to get married tommorow to gratify His sexual need has been 'called' to it,right? and the buddhist monk who embraces celebacy for gautama's sake?funny indeed!
My Dear,What I've been saying is,Marriage is simply a natural consequence of the natural order,ordained by God that's why Christ said not everyone CAN accept it--Celebacy.To the apostles "To Have made oneself a enunch" understood it to mean superior spirituality So Christ reiterates V12 "Let anyone accept this who can.”Accept what?The "strong meat" of his teaching.
If you're sincere sir,you must admit that celebates have lesser and lesser entanglement in this fleeting world than the married from what rev14v11 said.
Indeed The scripture says,1 Corinthians 7:20 Yes,each of you should remain as you were when God called you.SO HOW CAN A MAN BE IN A CALLING BEFORE HE IS EVEN CALLED?I mean,a wordling who gets married before surrendering to Christ.
My Point Has always been;Marriage is good but celebacy is better.1 Corinthians 7:38 So the person who marries his fiancée does well, and the person who doesn’t marry does even better.whether the phrase used there was bethrothed or any other word it doesn't escape the obvious if you've read from preceeding verse
with love.
Re: OPINION:Why I Advise Bornagain To Choose Celebacy To Marriage by Nobody: 9:53am On Aug 05, 2015
This is how cults start......

God made male and female and he ordained marriage, to preach otherwise is a sin.

"by means of the hypocrisy of liars seared in their own conscience as with a branding iron, men who forbid marriage ..." - 1 Timothy 4:3a

1 Timothy 5:14
So I counsel younger widows to marry, to have children, to manage their homes and to give the enemy no opportunity for slander.

Hebrews 13:4
Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral

Young ones do not be deceived by these self appointed mouth pieces for 'God '.

Marry and enjoy your wife or husband to the fullest, nothing wrong with that.

However if you have it in you to remain single , your choice is respected, only don't preach it as the norm.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Godly Leadership Principles / Reasons Why You Should Not Bother To Read The Quran! / When It Rains, Is It A Sin Not To Go To Church?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.