Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,671 members, 7,955,458 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 06:22 AM

Qualities Of A Gentle Man You Should Possess - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Qualities Of A Gentle Man You Should Possess (2700 Views)

Things You Must Not Do For The Man You Are Dating / Adorable Characters Some Ladies Possess That Can Make Guys Propose To Them Fast / Shameful Habits Ladies Possess That Will Make Their Boyfriend Dump Them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Qualities Of A Gentle Man You Should Possess by tosinisrael5678(m): 11:13am On Aug 09, 2014
The “old school” gentleman, who pulled out chairs
and opened up car doors, has since been replaced
with the “modern” gentleman, who can maintain a
stimulating conversation outside the realms of
Twitter, Facebook and BBM. Given the social norms of today’s society, being a
gentleman will prove itself to be quite difficult – but
not impossible. Just because certain behaviors aren’t considered
“cool” or “popular” by mainstream standards
doesn’t mean they’re correct by societal standards.
Being a gentleman is timeless, and mainstream
trends will phase in and out. Notice this, and focus
on the long-term. While being in your 20s and carefree may
discourage all intentions of acting “gentlemanlike”
– recognize the longevity of certain good habits.
These will never “go out of style,” and are telltale
signs of maturity. Everyone can be a gentleman. That title is earned,
it’s not something you’re born into. Here are 20
things every prospective gentleman should strive
to do:

1. He refers to women by their given first names Mom gave her that name for a reason, use it. In
many cases, it will be extremely disrespectful to call
a girl anything besides her given name, and generic
(typically profane) slurs are only a clear sign of
your own ignorance. A gentleman should be deliberate in regard to how
he addresses a lady, and first names will leave
minimal room for error.

2. If he can spare it, he spends it While paying for your female date is no longer an
expectation in today’s society, especially on first
dates, unless you’re falling on really hard financial
times, it’s a good look to at least offer.

3. He says “I’m sorry” Having the capability to say, “I’m sorry,” is one of
the most overlooked qualities in both men and
women. Apologies require a great deal of strength,
and the human ego will make matters personally
challenging. Part of becoming a gentleman is realizing that the
man who can admit when he is wrong is no
weaker than the man who never backs down.
Re: Qualities Of A Gentle Man You Should Possess by tosinisrael5678(m): 11:14am On Aug 09, 2014
4. He stands behind an unwavering set values Standing behind a set of values, and believing in
something, displays loyalty in a man. True
gentlemen will follow a moral code, with others’
best interests in mind. Upholding certain values will prove to others that
you’re in no position to be walked over, and that
you will fight for what you believe in.

5. He always holds the door open It’s such a little gesture that goes such a long way. I
understand these types of things may seem
“ancient” in the year 2014, there’s still a degree of
charm that comes along with them. The “modern gentleman” should not abandon the
“old school” tools of the trade.

6. He compliments people Complimenting people around you is a direct
reflection upon yourself. It shows others that you
are not too self-absorbed to take an interest in
them, and it also shows kindness. While random acts of kindness may go unnoticed
by some, to others, they might mean more than you
could imagine.
Re: Qualities Of A Gentle Man You Should Possess by tosinisrael5678(m): 11:16am On Aug 09, 2014
7. He’s well-groomed Comb your hair, brush your teeth, shave your face.
Maintaining small, good grooming habits will speak
volumes about you as a person. If you can’t manage to keep your appearance neat
and orderly, how can you expect others to believe
your life is any more neat and orderly?

8. He always smells good For the ladies, but also for yourself. By simply
smelling good, you will attract far more people than
the alternative. It’s a subtle aspect of your appearance that bears
far deeper social implications. Find a brand or
designer that you really like, and let that become
“your smell.”

9. He keeps a good posture This isn’t the back of middle school algebra class,
and your company isn’t some boring teacher. Sit up
straight, with your chest out, shoulders back and
demand the attention of every set of eyes in the
room. Whether it be just you and your date or a room full
of prospective clients. Gentlemen will have a strong
backbone, and I’m referring to their character.

10. He’s patient Children are fidgety and anxious. Gentlemen are
cool and patient. Whether it be en route to dinner with a new girl,
and stuck in traffic, or handling matters of business
– a gentleman will always wait situations out until
they’re most advantageous to act upon.
Re: Qualities Of A Gentle Man You Should Possess by tosinisrael5678(m): 11:17am On Aug 09, 2014
11. He maintains self-control Gentlemen will always be in control of themselves.
When other people, or things, take the wheel and
steer, – with regard to life choices and specific
habits – it is only a matter of time before you find
yourself spinning out of control. The modern gentleman will not fear experimenting
with things, and indulging in certain things, as long
as he maintains control and stays within the lanes
of his respective road.

12. He always listens, first Trust me. Everyone’s got something to say. It’s a
much rarer commodity finding someone who will
listen. Being a gentleman is not about constantly
speaking your mind, but knowing when to speak,
and, most importantly, when to shut up and listen.

13. He’s smart with his money Gentlemen don’t live and die by receipts or bar tabs.
Being fiscally responsible is a life lesson, and being
fiscally irresponsible is one you will most likely
learn the morning after. Being a gentleman doesn’t mean buying every
attractive girl you see walk past the bar a glass of
wine to show off what’s in your wallet. True
gentlemen will strive to find the right girl – and then
start saving up to buy the entire vineyard.

14. He’s always on time Being punctual displays reliability. A sense of
responsibility will often supplement those who
value the importance of time, and meeting
appointments. If you’re on time with regards to the smaller things,
others will know they can depend on you when it
comes to larger issues. Gentlemen will know that
being five minutes early is too late.

15. He asks questions and doesn’t speak about
himself Showing an interest in others is refreshing. A
gentleman will look to inquire about those around
him, especially a date, rather than preaching about
himself. Asking questions will show a genuine curiosity in
someone, the opposite of apathy. Gentlemen will
look to keep their dates engaged, and speaking, as
opposed to taking the risk of talking too much.
Re: Qualities Of A Gentle Man You Should Possess by tosinisrael5678(m): 11:21am On Aug 09, 2014
16. He’s always respectful Being a gentleman doesn’t mean being a “yes
man.” It doesn’t mean seeing eye-to-eye with
everyone you meet, and it certainly doesn’t mean
being a kiss ass. What it does mean, however, is that you will always
uphold a level of respect with all of your associates.
Naturally, a date, or girlfriend, is by no means any
different.

17. He makes the first move Don’t leave the fate of any situation in the hands of
others. Whether it be starting up a conversation
with a girl you’ve never met at a bar, being the first
to attempt to reconcile things with a long-term
girlfriend, or even pursuing a certain job opening –
always take matters into your own hands and make the first move.

18. He’s composed Keep your composure. True gentlemen are always
poised. Because when situations become dire, and
others start to panic, gentlemen have the ability to
provide a beacon of assurance that the people
around them can feed off. In the words of Ernest Hemingway, “Courage is
grace under pressure.” Be graceful under pressure.

19. He doesn’t rush out of places Sloan, from “Entourage,” dumped a guy she dated
because he asked to leave the Lakers game early to
beat traffic. Don’t let this guy be you. Always try to be the first man in and the last man
out, as it displays your intentions to see things
through. Whether it be a movie, a sporting event or
work, don’t leave until the fat lady has finished
singing.

20. He doesn’t finish his food before his date does Don’t be a pig. If you’re eating with company, or
out to dinner with a date, don’t rush through your
food like you haven’t eaten in weeks. Especially during the earlier phases of dating, view
meals and dinner dates as social events. Scarfing
down the steak you order should always be
secondary to conducting a stimulating
conversation.
Re: Qualities Of A Gentle Man You Should Possess by isacolukay(m): 11:23am On Aug 09, 2014
Nice one. But those ideas r in an ideal setting. In a Nigerian setting, there is only one rule to being a gentleman: HAVE MONEY! Gbam.
Re: Qualities Of A Gentle Man You Should Possess by publicenemy(m): 11:35am On Aug 09, 2014
page saved for posterity
Re: Qualities Of A Gentle Man You Should Possess by spyg1(m): 12:22pm On Aug 09, 2014
Chorus: i no be gentle man at all o(3x)

i don't want to be a gentle man at all.
Re: Qualities Of A Gentle Man You Should Possess by jennylove7575(f): 12:32pm On Aug 09, 2014
The qualities made sense but I don't want a robot for a man. Gentleman can be boring and very boring. Those are movie love things. I love bad boys. In reality, they are great fun and more adventurous.
Re: Qualities Of A Gentle Man You Should Possess by bosun11(m): 2:13pm On Aug 09, 2014
jennylove7575: The qualities made sense but I don't want a robot for a man. Gentleman can be boring and very boring. Those are movie love things. I love bad boys. In reality, they are great fun and more adventurous.

thumbs up....i quite agree with you...btw....reply my mail na....
Re: Qualities Of A Gentle Man You Should Possess by jennylove7575(f): 2:37pm On Aug 09, 2014
bosun11:

thumbs up....i quite agree with you...btw....reply my mail na....
u no get profile pix u say make I reply u.. I go first see ur pix first.
Re: Qualities Of A Gentle Man You Should Possess by Tallesty1(m): 2:41pm On Aug 09, 2014
jennylove7575: u no get profile pix u say make I reply u.. I go first see ur pix first.
lolscheesycheesy
Re: Qualities Of A Gentle Man You Should Possess by bosun11(m): 2:43pm On Aug 09, 2014
[quote author=jennylove7575] u no get profile pix u say make I reply u.. I go first see ur pix first. [/quote

is it compulsory .........not comfortable with uploading pics on social sites
Re: Qualities Of A Gentle Man You Should Possess by bosun11(m): 2:44pm On Aug 09, 2014
jennylove7575: u no get profile pix u say make I reply u.. I go first see ur pix first.

is it compulsory .........not always comfortable uploading pics on social sites
Re: Qualities Of A Gentle Man You Should Possess by Nobody: 2:47pm On Aug 09, 2014
I'm a hybrid.
Re: Qualities Of A Gentle Man You Should Possess by jennylove7575(f): 4:07pm On Aug 09, 2014
bosun11:

is it compulsory .........not always comfortable uploading pics on social sites
no its not..so I guess it ain't compulsory to reply ur mail. wink
Re: Qualities Of A Gentle Man You Should Possess by Nobody: 6:29pm On Aug 09, 2014
CoolHunk: I'm a hybrid.

Chop knuckle Cool Hunk cool
Re: Qualities Of A Gentle Man You Should Possess by Nobody: 6:34pm On Aug 09, 2014
neutralwaya:

Chop knuckle Cool Hunk cool
cool
Re: Qualities Of A Gentle Man You Should Possess by bosun11(m): 7:16pm On Aug 09, 2014
jennylove7575: no its not..so I guess it ain't compulsory to reply ur mail. wink

sighs...okay then..i would glady remove it after you are checking it
Re: Qualities Of A Gentle Man You Should Possess by chidekings(m): 7:35pm On Aug 09, 2014

u get mouth
Re: Qualities Of A Gentle Man You Should Possess by tosinisrael5678(m): 8:38pm On Aug 09, 2014
spyg1: Chorus: i no be gentle man at all o(3x)

i don't want to be a gentle man at all.
y?
Re: Qualities Of A Gentle Man You Should Possess by tosinisrael5678(m): 8:40pm On Aug 09, 2014
CoolHunk: I'm a hybrid.
how?
Re: Qualities Of A Gentle Man You Should Possess by jennylove7575(f): 10:32pm On Aug 09, 2014
bosun11:

sighs...okay then..i would glady remove it after you are checking it
see as you handsome.. You be fine bobo o..why are you hiding? Abeg show off ur beauty joor...I will be in London next week Wednesday. I shall email you...see fine bobo no pimples. Ha ha h
Re: Qualities Of A Gentle Man You Should Possess by bosun11(m): 10:43pm On Aug 09, 2014
jennylove7575: see as you handsome.. You be fine bobo o..why are you hiding? Abeg show off ur beauty joor...I will be in London next week Wednesday. I shall email you...see fine bobo no pimples. Ha ha h

ermm smiley..........thanks for the compliment...lemme remove my picture now..............waiting for your email .....btw...u are looking gorgeous
Re: Qualities Of A Gentle Man You Should Possess by spyg1(m): 6:21am On Aug 10, 2014
tosinisrael5678: y?
i luv myself as a rugged person n I enjoy it
Re: Qualities Of A Gentle Man You Should Possess by jnrbayano(m): 7:07am On Aug 10, 2014
1. Even on a slow-motion playback, I don't eat slowly, why will I have to pretend to on a date? Because I don't wanna answer a pig? Calling me pig for that can be very sexy you know, who gives two hoods?

2. I prefer to render "an unreserved apology" for my misdemeanour than just utter "I am sorry" to someone. The former more often than not goes side-by-side with the remorse feeling whereas the later more often than not tarries with let-me-say-it-for-saying-sake attitude.

As for other points, if they unconsciously (not planned) come out from within, no problem but if I will have to study them in other to act them, let me not be a gentleman.
Re: Qualities Of A Gentle Man You Should Possess by onegig(m): 9:41am On Aug 10, 2014
jnrbayano: 1. Even on a slow-motion playback, I don't eat slowly, why will I have to pretend to on a date? Because I don't wanna answer a pig? Calling me pig for that can be very sexy you know, who gives two hoods?

2. I prefer to render "an unreserved apology" for my misdemeanour than just utter "I am sorry" to someone. The former more often than not goes side-by-side with the remorse feeling whereas the later more often than not tarries with let-me-say-it-for-saying-sake attitude.

As for other points, if they unconsciously (not planned) come out from within, no problem but if I will have to study them in other to act them, let me not be a gentleman.
Abi na.

Help me ask them if them no dey tire for all these lists?

@Opening doors for ladies and all those you typed up there? Huh? Really? No wahala...

Op... Get this. Being a gentleman is not about pleasing ladies. It's about being yourself, having self respect, empathy, respecting others no matter the gender and having simple decorum.

All those ones you type up there na mugus and magas dey do that one. If i am only nice to ladies to be a gentleman and a jackass to others then i am no gentleman.

1 Like

Re: Qualities Of A Gentle Man You Should Possess by Nobody: 12:46pm On Aug 10, 2014
Everybody cannot be the same, it'll be boring.
Re: Qualities Of A Gentle Man You Should Possess by YemziAdez(m): 3:37pm On Aug 10, 2014
jennylove7575: The qualities made sense but I don't want a robot for a man. Gentleman can be boring and very boring. Those are movie love things. I love bad boys. In reality, they are great fun and more adventurous.
Happy Birthday.
Re: Qualities Of A Gentle Man You Should Possess by bosun11(m): 9:27pm On Aug 10, 2014
jennylove7575: see as you handsome.. You be fine bobo o..why are you hiding? Abeg show off ur beauty joor...I will be in London next week Wednesday. I shall email you...see fine bobo no pimples. Ha ha h

happy birthday jenny....wishing you all the best as you add another year with long life and prosperiity.........take care miss
Re: Qualities Of A Gentle Man You Should Possess by jennylove7575(f): 11:53pm On Aug 10, 2014
YemziAdez: Happy Birthday.
thank you love kiss
Re: Qualities Of A Gentle Man You Should Possess by bosun11(m): 12:21am On Aug 11, 2014
jennylove7575: thank you love kiss

did you see my prayer point and message...i guess you didn't....its okay though

(1) (2) (Reply)

Do You Think He Ever Loved? / Official Romancelanders Yuletide Shout Out Thread!! / Romancelanders: What Type Of Couple Kiss Is This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.