Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,940 members, 7,821,296 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:04 AM

What Is Majorly The Cause Of A Child's Brilliancy - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Is Majorly The Cause Of A Child's Brilliancy (27333 Views)

Is It Right To Marry A Second Wife Since The First Couldn't Bear Me A Child? / You're Not A Nigerian If You Didn't Do These Things As A Child / My Husband Says I Am The Cause Of His Problem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Majorly The Cause Of A Child's Brilliancy by gatiano(m): 8:14am On Aug 13, 2014
And then to the mothers, cook, cook, cook yourself, and help him with his homework yourself every evening without anger or the cane.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Majorly The Cause Of A Child's Brilliancy by Rexyl(m): 8:15am On Aug 13, 2014
mascot87: Eating enough beans

how could doing this relate to having much intelligence? Just asking whether there are special biochemical or nutrients in beans that have to do with intelligence. I would also like to know the best preparation method to make such ingredients available.
Re: What Is Majorly The Cause Of A Child's Brilliancy by Nobody: 8:17am On Aug 13, 2014
KanwuliaJara: A COMBO of nature and nurture! kiss
Exactly!
Re: What Is Majorly The Cause Of A Child's Brilliancy by AyoAdisa(m): 8:19am On Aug 13, 2014
INPUT DETERMINES OUTPUT.

Some people were born dull but they ended up brilliant. Some folks graduated with 3rd class lower but ended up leading in the business environ. Some folks were born brilliant but ended up shabby and un-fulfilling. I believe this is related to this topic, so, whats the cause?

DECISION.
You maybe born dull, poor or whatever but your decision determines what becomes of you. Late Gani Faweyinmi (SAN) left school with 3rd class, see what he ended up with. Ben Carson author of the book Gifted hands, remember his story? If you have ever read his book.

Decision they say determines destiny. Not situation. The best guys pay the price, hence the need to make such decision. Being brilliant does not fall from heaven like rain drop, it required personal effort amidst other nutritional factors.

Thank you.
Re: What Is Majorly The Cause Of A Child's Brilliancy by ademega(m): 8:27am On Aug 13, 2014
I think environment matters. If a child is born brilliant but stays in an environment that is frustrating, lacks motivation , encouragement, supervision and not exposed to a peers that see him as part of them (discrimination ) , if care is not taking that child becomes dull . For instance , when i was in primary school ,pry 1 ,2, 3 i was so dull that in a class of 35, i usually inter change with a friend then, i was either 30 and he takes the 31 or other way round . My dad was bitter about this and i saw hell , he was most of The time complaing and beating me for any slight mistake . He had this believe that i couldn't do anything right and he was ready to compare me with my younger sister anywhere. My younger sister never came second in her class but first. This was a great depression .in fact ,it got to a stage ,i drank izal just if i could just die and leave the depressing world . Imaging as a kid ! All ds while , my younger sister was in a private school and i was in a public school . Abacha military regime would not even help situation. There was a day i challenged my mum that my sister was in a private school and me in a public school hence the reason for my poor performance. He then took me to a private school . In that school , there were a lot of activities that i fell in love with , the field , ganways , the environment and the way we were thought . My people , at the end of the session i came third in the whole class. And i became one of their best students for two years . My dad was like ,what happened ? Unfortunately , he died and i had to go back to that public school i went to , i was demoted to pry 5 because they won't admit fresh student to pry 6. After the first term ,they saw my brilliant result and they gave me something like double promotion to pry 6.i went to a federal secondary school, but i was never among the best ten self but i wasn't classify as a below average student . My university , i wasn't among the best five but i ruled my mates , junior and seniors in many aspects as , president , founder of an organisation and student union leader . Despite the bad situation in the country , am still coping .
That my primary school friend is now a motor boy in a company in lagos . Op you kn Y

5 Likes

Re: What Is Majorly The Cause Of A Child's Brilliancy by Nobody: 8:29am On Aug 13, 2014
Good morning
evegran: Exactly!
Re: What Is Majorly The Cause Of A Child's Brilliancy by Nobody: 8:31am On Aug 13, 2014
Unibenstudent: Good morning
Bonjour smiley
Re: What Is Majorly The Cause Of A Child's Brilliancy by Nobody: 8:39am On Aug 13, 2014
Major - Hereditary
Minor - Environment.
finito!!!
Re: What Is Majorly The Cause Of A Child's Brilliancy by ayando(m): 8:46am On Aug 13, 2014
Rexyl:

how could doing this relate to having much intelligence? Just asking whether there are special biochemical or nutrients in beans that have to do with intelligence. I would also like to know the best preparation method to make such ingredients available.

If he had written Sea foods, would have understood his point better because of the chemical composition of it-Omega-3-which is essential for brain development. Anyway, he is still right in another way.

I appreciate the responses so far and honestly some are just brilliant while some are somewhat okay. Much as I respect people's opinion, I really want clarification for those who opined that God is. The whole point is to channel a course for those who want to have bright kids and a solution for those who are in this situation(dullness of a child). Believe me, I know a dull kid in a family where others are bright and I just can't imagine the pain these parents are going through.

Thank you moderator for this.

Caveat: I don't want insults or e-war on anybody religious opinions pls
Re: What Is Majorly The Cause Of A Child's Brilliancy by Nobody: 8:50am On Aug 13, 2014
Yes, how was your night
evegran: Bonjour smiley
Re: What Is Majorly The Cause Of A Child's Brilliancy by mcfranklin: 8:56am On Aug 13, 2014
To me... It's the age of the parents that matters
Re: What Is Majorly The Cause Of A Child's Brilliancy by nagoma(m): 8:58am On Aug 13, 2014
ayando: Hello Nairalanders,
I hope this is the right place to discuss this? Although, I feel this should be because I will get the right responses.
What is/are responsible for a child's brilliancy?
I had a discussion with someone who was complaining bitterly about handling a dull child. My reasons are:
- Poor development of the brain during conception in the womb
- Poor nourishment during the formative years especially lack of protein.
- Hereditary.
- Environment
But she disagreed with first two listed and opined majorly on heredity. So my question: Is it impossible to produce bright kids even when the parents are not bright? Is the gene the major determinant of how bright one can be?
I know the genetic make up of an individual varies and it is not the same.
In summary, I just want to know if anything can be done to help a dull child and if there are ways to even prevent producing them in the first place?

Good question Sir, but the way you framed your sentence does not show much " brilliancy" either.
I believe this is what you wanted to say ; "What major factors determine a child's intelligence?"
Re: What Is Majorly The Cause Of A Child's Brilliancy by Itoroetti(m): 9:10am On Aug 13, 2014
was ben carson's mum intelligent?
there is a different btw brilliancy and intelligent.
Re: What Is Majorly The Cause Of A Child's Brilliancy by kentochi(m): 9:11am On Aug 13, 2014
mcfranklin: To me... It's the age of the parents that matters
mcfranklin
how do you mean
can you throw more light on this?
Re: What Is Majorly The Cause Of A Child's Brilliancy by Itoroetti(m): 9:18am On Aug 13, 2014
ayando: . If genetics is the major factor, then it is right to say other factors can't make significant improvement. Is it right also to fault the parents for this problem? And lastly, why do we have exceptional kids even when they are from poor parents or illiterate ones?

God bless u for d point raised.it has nothing to do with parents brilliancy.i've seen kid whose mum was a mad woman but dat didnt stop d boy from success and av seen kids whose parent are prof n Dr,yet their kids are worst in performance
Re: What Is Majorly The Cause Of A Child's Brilliancy by ayando(m): 9:19am On Aug 13, 2014
nagoma:

Good question Sir, but the way you framed your sentence does not show much " brilliancy" either.
I believe this is what you wanted to say ; "What major factors determine a child's intelligence?"

Thank you Sir.
As you can clearly see that I listed other factors but I wanted to know which one affects the other the most. The whole argument is for enlightenment.
Re: What Is Majorly The Cause Of A Child's Brilliancy by Itoroetti(m): 9:25am On Aug 13, 2014
thorpido: ^^^Other factors do make significant difference.If a child's parents are brilliant but the child unfortunately loses both parents and is orphaned,he might grow under dire conditions which will definitely affect his performance.

Illiterate or poor parents does not mean they can't produce exceptional children.Remember,being illiterate just means a lack of opportunity to get schooled.It does not mean the capacity is not there.I have seen brilliant illiterates.Not knowing chemistry is not a measure of brilliance.

i have an uncle whom i just heard of recent dat he stopped at jss3 but u cant compare him to another of my uncle who is a destination graduate from polycal and he is also a 1st class graduate of law.d one above who only has a jsce is a delight to listen to.
infact anytime i'm around,i love sitting with him.i just wished he had gone to school.
Re: What Is Majorly The Cause Of A Child's Brilliancy by Itoroetti(m): 9:28am On Aug 13, 2014
KanwuliaJara: A COMBO of nature and nurture! kiss

wow!what a short statement with zillion point
Re: What Is Majorly The Cause Of A Child's Brilliancy by ayando(m): 9:30am On Aug 13, 2014
ademega: . Op you kn Y
From your story, I guess it was the environment as well as the motivation. Wait, did your sister experience these very early in her teens or what happened btw you two that caused the differences ? Thank you.
Re: What Is Majorly The Cause Of A Child's Brilliancy by texazzpete(m): 9:39am On Aug 13, 2014
bunmioguns: I will say GOD

And this is why you people cannot stand a simple discussion with atheists without looking like confused people, You realize you're indirectly saying God makes innocent children dullards?

2 Likes

Re: What Is Majorly The Cause Of A Child's Brilliancy by Rexyl(m): 9:50am On Aug 13, 2014
ayando:

If he had written Sea foods, would have understood his point better because of the chemical composition of it-Omega-3-which is essential for brain development. Anyway, he is still right in another way.

I appreciate the responses so far and honestly some are just brilliant while some are somewhat okay. Much as I respect people's opinion, I really want clarification for those who opined that God is. The whole point is to channel a course for those who want to have bright kids and a solution for those who are in this situation(dullness of a child). Believe me, I know a dull kid in a family where others are bright and I just can't imagine the pain these parents are going through.

just to the bolded

God has given us the grace to find out the best for ourselves, our ability to research and find out the best is the wonderful gift of man.
Re: What Is Majorly The Cause Of A Child's Brilliancy by ademega(m): 10:45am On Aug 13, 2014
ayando:
From your story, I guess it was the environment as well as the motivation. Wait, did you sister experience these very early in her teens or what happened btw you two that caused the differences ? Thank you.
i guess , naturally , my dad actually love or prefer female child to male child . So , from birth a kind of hatred occur ,and for my sister this kind of love grew for her naturaly ,hence the motivation rit from birth. Morealso , my sister was very smart and sharp i guess due to this love .
Re: What Is Majorly The Cause Of A Child's Brilliancy by Chienex24(m): 10:58am On Aug 13, 2014
iiichidodo: Early exposure to medium or media and means of the 'arts' can lead to a state of precociousness in the child.

You know we don't know the meaning of precociousness, break it down for us!
Re: What Is Majorly The Cause Of A Child's Brilliancy by bookface: 11:18am On Aug 13, 2014
Intelligence is usually formed in a child's early childhood.

Several research pointed out that when kids are exposed to an early onset of disease/malnutrition, they tend to perform very poorly on IQ tests or intelligence related discipline. This is because their body spends early childhood fighting off diseases, rather than to growing to full capacity! - This is particularly the case with African kids and malaria.

Second, a child's intelligence is usually a function of how much time he spends around adults. Kids have a curious and fictional mind. At this early age, they have very little to worry about and they hardly forget about things. When adults spend a lot of time to answer some questions raised by kids as well as engaging them in conversations relating to their environments, life, art, music, movies - their minds develop exponentially and by the time they approach their pre-teens, they can engage any adult in any conversation in a way that truly manifests their intelligence.

Third, a child's intelligence may be quickly improved by urging them to get involved in some basic life skills/activities - such as learning to play a musical instrument, learning to swim, arts, reading a map, history lessons etc. It helps even much more if adults (their mum or dad) play those games with them. In addition, kids have opinions, it is important for adults to develop these opinions with them and engage them in meaningful conversations regarding their opinions, no matter how silly that opinion may sound to you.

Fourth, If you have the means, travelling abroad with kids could help them dramatically with their intelligence/IQs. They get embed in other cultures, visit museums in other countries and develop their communications skills as they go along.

Hereditary plays a role, but not much. Genes develop organs (e.g the brain) - but genes are not responsible for how you make use of those organs.

1 Like

Re: What Is Majorly The Cause Of A Child's Brilliancy by shaybebaby(f): 11:39am On Aug 13, 2014
ayando:

Please, I dislike that term" dull" and also " solving the dullness" in a child.
After all said and done, you get what you are given and as parents, your job isn't just to feed and clothe them, it's to support them and help them grow into valuable members of the society and instilling good values.
What is the point in labelling the poor mite? So the kid in question might not be academically good, I as a parent would accept that and help the child achieve, at the very least, minimum competency in literacy and arithmetic.
Second task is to expose the said child to as many varied activities as possible and observe which ones he/ she has a natural aptitude for. That is what I'd encourage alongside basic education. This would help build the child's esteem and lead to the realisation within that child that we all have different strengths and each one can be equally as valuable as the next.
After all, nobody knows whether Venus Williams is book smart and neither do we care because her father invested in her aptitude for tennis rather than comparing her to other kids and we know where she is.. Probably richer than the so- called smart ones she went to school with.
I heard that Beyoncé is not very clever and couldn't write properly until after she became famous but who cares, she's a talented singer and is laughing all the way to the bank with her millions.
Not everyone is built for a life of academia!

1 Like

Re: What Is Majorly The Cause Of A Child's Brilliancy by Nobody: 11:41am On Aug 13, 2014
ayando: Hello Nairalanders,
I hope this is the right place to discuss this? Although, I feel this should be because I will get the right responses.
What is/are responsible for a child's brilliancy?

I had a discussion with someone who was complaining bitterly about handling a dull child. My reasons are:
- Poor development of the brain during conception in the womb
- Poor nourishment during the formative years especially lack of protein.
- Hereditary.
- Environment

But she disagreed with first two listed and opined majorly on heredity. So my question: Is it impossible to produce bright kids even when the parents are not bright? Is the gene the major determinant of how bright one can be?

I know the genetic make up of an individual varies and it is not the same.
In summary, I just want to know if anything can be done to help a dull child and if there are ways to even prevent producing them in the first place?

Question you should go back to ask that lady is "Did she play an active role in the child's development?" Quite likely she didn't. She probably is one of the many parents who resort to private tutors and won't bother checking up on the child.

No child is born dull. However, all children have their own characters and as a result as they grow older they develop certain strengths. You really need to be able to identify this strengths and develop that particular strength to a level where even the child begins to appreciate that strength. When he knows what he is capable of doing and he is allowed to express himself in that realm, he grows in confidence and can then apply that confidence to other aspects of his life. That's what makes a brilliant chap.

But if you as a parent will force your child into doing something simply because his pairs are doing it and then you fall into the deadly trap of comparing your child, you simply kill the child's esteem and he begins to think less of himself an then he does not have the confodence or self esteem to reach an do things. That's when a child becomes dull.
Re: What Is Majorly The Cause Of A Child's Brilliancy by shaybebaby(f): 11:45am On Aug 13, 2014
My two year old cannot say a simple " yes" or " no" or even follow a simple request like " get your shoes". But he knows the difference between a hexagon and a heptagon and can arrange all the in the alphabets from A to Z and also backwards from z to a. Can spell some three and four letter words but if asked if he wants a drink, cannot answer( he is not mute) just doesn't understand verbal language as yet and is way behind his mates when it comes to speech but yet he does all I've mentioned above, does that mean that he gets to be classed as either smart or dull? Or is it that he just has different interests which he excels at?
Food for thought eh?
Re: What Is Majorly The Cause Of A Child's Brilliancy by davno: 12:02pm On Aug 13, 2014
shaybebaby: My two year old cannot say a simple " yes" or " no" or even follow a simple request like " get your shoes". But he knows the difference between a hexagon and a heptagon and can arrange all the in the alphabets from A to Z and also backwards from z to a. Can spell some three and four letter words but if asked if he wants a drink, cannot answer( he is not mute) just doesn't understand verbal language as yet and is way behind his mates when it comes to speech but yet he does all I've mentioned above, does that mean that he gets to be classed as either smart or dull? Or is it that he just has different interests which he excels at?
Food for thought eh?

Ur child might be autistic. Pls kindly consult with ur doctor.
Re: What Is Majorly The Cause Of A Child's Brilliancy by ellarry(m): 12:03pm On Aug 13, 2014
according to aristotle: when child is born his mind his mind is like a clean slate, he learns through occurences and experiences( which all amounts to training and environment).....going by this i can say that nature(heredity and other factors ) only complements this nuturing view....scientific evidences might prove this wrong, so am open to criticisms
Re: What Is Majorly The Cause Of A Child's Brilliancy by Bamidupe20(f): 12:07pm On Aug 13, 2014
davno: Psychology research has shown dt d bulk of a child's IQ comes from d mother. Going by this, regardless of how intelligent a man is, if his wife is a dunce then the kids stand a very high chane of being dunces.

On d other hand, if a man of low intelligence marries a woman with a high IQ, the children more often than not turn out to be very intelligence.

Bear in mind dt a high IQ is like an empty container. It is simply a high capacity for brilliance. Therefore u decide what to fill d container with.

D child can be taught to become a brilliant musician, a brilliant doctor, a smart thief or even a very intelligent murderer. That's why some kids come straight from d village and within a few weeks outsmart their classmates who have been in d school all along.

On the other hand, u can take a child with low IQ to d best schools and he will come out a disappointment.

My advice is for men to marry brilliant women or trust in God for any change they desire.

What psychology textbook did u get that theory from
Re: What Is Majorly The Cause Of A Child's Brilliancy by ayquad(m): 12:08pm On Aug 13, 2014
[color=#006600][/color]
I was once a victim of dullness but I assure u dat being dull doesn't have anything to do wif gene or nourishment. What matter most is proper handling of the child from day ONE.
I was forcefully helped(to call it) by my parent to become what I am today after many years of dull-brain education at my age 7-19
I DON'T KNOW NOTHING...
But because my Mum won't let me rest by bombarding me wif extra-moral lessons day -in day-out.
Yet I didn't know NOTHING Until I got to my Pry 3 where by surprise I became 1st in my class wif 57 pupils.. Now today I have finished my degree in one if the greatest school in Nigeria wif my 2.1 (for those who don't KNOW the meaning it mean 2nd class upper )
In summary, adequate n good upbringing can help a child become brilliant...
Thanks.................

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is Majorly The Cause Of A Child's Brilliancy by shaybebaby(f): 12:09pm On Aug 13, 2014
davno:

Ur child might be autistic. Pls kindly consult with ur doctor.
Yes I am aware of that fact, doesn't change the fact the labelling bright, clever, dull, autistic etc. does not correctly account for individualism.
My point is that the op's classification is focusing on what the said child cannot do readily whilst not exploring other things that could be done by that child expertly.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

49-Year-old Man Finally Becomes A Father After Suffering So Much Tragedies.Photo / I Want My Husband To Be Impotent / Should I Get Married Or Buy A Range Rover

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.