Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,369 members, 7,819,328 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:28 PM

Iranian Muslim Woman Becomes First Female To Win "Mathematics Nobel Prize" - Islam for Muslims (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Iranian Muslim Woman Becomes First Female To Win "Mathematics Nobel Prize" (23340 Views)

Secrets Of A Muslim Woman / Iranian Councilor Banned For Being Sexy / Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Iranian Muslim Woman Becomes First Female To Win "Mathematics Nobel Prize" by osystein(m): 2:12pm On Aug 15, 2014
Paentera:

Now let me school you - it was Arabs that introduced Mathematics and not Islam. Obviously you are oblivious to the fact that Arabic and Islam are mutually exclusive and are not one and the same. There are also Arabic Christians if you must know and tribes like the Yazidi are not Muslims.

Know your FACTS and stop coming here to teach falsehood

Those people were't even Arabs, original Arabs are the primitive folks in Yemen and Saudi Arabia. Levant, Persian and Turks (the who contributed to science ) are not Arabs
Re: Iranian Muslim Woman Becomes First Female To Win "Mathematics Nobel Prize" by Nobody: 2:13pm On Aug 15, 2014
omenka: You guys saying all these are the ones bringing religion into this!! In what way did the said posters bring religion into it When something nice happens and people go, "amen!!!!" no one says they are attaching religion or something, but when a muslim speaks, we all want to pounce on them and shut them up!!

They didn't violate any rules on the forum so I suggest you guys let them be. You people are displaying the religious intolerance which we have been preaching must end if we ever aspire to make it far as a nation.

Cheers.
I am even being civil and I dont attach religion. Read the posts of the First few posters. It is like making it an Islamic Affair. Even the Topic of the thread attached "Muslim". Haba!!!
Re: Iranian Muslim Woman Becomes First Female To Win "Mathematics Nobel Prize" by slydog(m): 2:16pm On Aug 15, 2014
Maryam Mirzakhani was born in 1977 in Tehran, Iran. She went to high school in Tehran at Farzanegan, National Organization for Development of Exceptional Talents (NODET). She competed and was recognized internationally for her math skills, receiving gold medals at both the 1994 International Mathematical Olympiad (Hong Kong) and the 1995 International Mathematical Olympiad (Toronto),[13] where she was the first Iranian student to finish with a perfect score.[13][14][15]

She obtained her BSc in mathematics (1999) from Sharif University of Technology in Tehran. She went to the United States for graduate work, earning a PhD from Harvard University (2004), where she worked under the supervision of the Fields Medalist Curtis McMullen. She was also a 2004 research fellow of the Clay Mathematics Institute and a professor at Princeton University.

She is married to Jan Vondrák, a Czech theoretical computer scientist who works at IBM Almaden Research Center.[21][22] They have a daughter named Anahita.

Culled from: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maryam_Mirzakhani

3 Likes

Re: Iranian Muslim Woman Becomes First Female To Win "Mathematics Nobel Prize" by eaglechild: 2:20pm On Aug 15, 2014
It is very scary how some people see everything from a "religious" point of view.

Congrats to the laureate.

It shows that if a nation looks inwards they can find success.

1 Like

Re: Iranian Muslim Woman Becomes First Female To Win "Mathematics Nobel Prize" by TheBigUrban2: 2:33pm On Aug 15, 2014
numericalguy: Dumb black people especially Nigerians don't know that Islam introduced mathematics to the world.

The 1,2,3,4,5,6... that you have been studying since primary school is Arabic
Muslims are the first people to introduce the number 0 (zero) to the world.
Muslims introduced the science of Mathematics to the otherwise illiterate Europeans.

Watching CNN and BBC alone will never educate you.
Read! Read!! Read!!!

FALSE.

2 Likes

Re: Iranian Muslim Woman Becomes First Female To Win "Mathematics Nobel Prize" by maasoap(m): 2:38pm On Aug 15, 2014
RayMcBlue: Somehow, the Nairaland Muslims have turned this great feat from the Iranian - which btw has no religious undertone whatsoever - into an Islamic Conquest. Wow! Just Wow! Islamic inferiority complex rearing it's ugly head yet again.
You are just being paranoid. I read the comments here up to your comment, I didn't see any post that mentioned Islam or linked the achievement to Islam. You are suffering inferiority complex. Get a life.

1 Like

Re: Iranian Muslim Woman Becomes First Female To Win "Mathematics Nobel Prize" by Gorrbachev: 3:07pm On Aug 15, 2014
slydog: Maryam Mirzakhani was born in 1977 in Tehran, Iran. She went to high school in Tehran at Farzanegan, National Organization for Development of Exceptional Talents (NODET). She competed and was recognized internationally for her math skills, receiving gold medals at both the 1994 International Mathematical Olympiad (Hong Kong) and the 1995 International Mathematical Olympiad (Toronto),[13] where she was the first Iranian student to finish with a perfect score.[13][14][15]

She obtained her BSc in mathematics (1999) from Sharif University of Technology in Tehran. She went to the United States for graduate work, earning a PhD from Harvard University (2004), where she worked under the supervision of the Fields Medalist Curtis McMullen. She was also a 2004 research fellow of the Clay Mathematics Institute and a professor at Princeton University.

She is married to Jan Vondrák, a Czech theoretical computer scientist who works at IBM Almaden Research Center.[21][22] They have a daughter named Anahita.

Culled from: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maryam_Mirzakhani

Lobatan. no be only marshal law, na brigadier law. A more recent pic of the Prof. Muslims are the most cunning fellows of the present time, worse than some Nigerian pastors. She even looks older when she was receiving the award.

[img]https://www.nairaland.com/attachments/1628403_640px-maryam_mirzakhani_2014-08-12_18-14_jpeg7601b2237398a3799b0f1424fef05daa[/img]
Re: Iranian Muslim Woman Becomes First Female To Win "Mathematics Nobel Prize" by numericalguy(m): 3:13pm On Aug 15, 2014
Arosa:

The muslims may have introduced zero to the world but Indians(non-muslims) knew about it earlier. undecided

You don't know how to lie sef.
Its like telling me Indians invented Igbo language and tought it to Igbos. Guy! You are not making sense at all.

Zero is an Arabic language and Muslims have used it in science for many many years before the rest of the world caught on.

Its too late to change history boy!
Re: Iranian Muslim Woman Becomes First Female To Win "Mathematics Nobel Prize" by DoTheNeedful: 3:21pm On Aug 15, 2014
maasoap: You are just being paranoid. I read the comments here up to your comment, I didn't see any post that mentioned Islam or linked the achievement to Islam. You are suffering inferiority complex. Get a life.
Maybe u need to read the title of the thread again. So, how do we know she is a muslim if some of your journey men did not link her achievement with islam?
Re: Iranian Muslim Woman Becomes First Female To Win "Mathematics Nobel Prize" by tijjanioyan: 3:25pm On Aug 15, 2014
obisage:
exactly what happened to me...
2a x 12x = 24ax find y...

how do u expect me to pass maths??
guyz una just won kill me wit laugh
Re: Iranian Muslim Woman Becomes First Female To Win "Mathematics Nobel Prize" by simpleseyi: 3:28pm On Aug 15, 2014
RayMcBlue: Somehow, the Nairaland Muslims have turned this great feat from the Iranian - which btw has no religious undertone whatsoever - into an Islamic Conquest. Wow! Just Wow! Islamic inferiority complex rearing it's ugly head yet again.

Your hatred for Islam is driving you fastly into your grave. Islam was institutionalized about 1400 years after Christianity, yet, church-goers like you are so obsessed with Islam.
Re: Iranian Muslim Woman Becomes First Female To Win "Mathematics Nobel Prize" by kunlesehan(m): 3:31pm On Aug 15, 2014
Maisuya1: Masha Allah,

I pray my wife studying mathematics at masters level surpasses that feat.

Can I get an ameen to that?
ameen!
Re: Iranian Muslim Woman Becomes First Female To Win "Mathematics Nobel Prize" by 1Book(m): 3:41pm On Aug 15, 2014
Haters!...keep hating. The success achieved by her is another proof to nullify the conspiracy and misconception the west and foreign media, has forcefully labeled on muslim, which you often hate to see/hear.
This is no form of inferiority complex...When a christain cheats during my secondary school days..IT IS NORMAL, nobody talks about it (because its a christain school). When a muslim does the same, in the same school, he/she recieves the hardest form of punishment, if not suspended. With many, stigmatizing the culprit....This form of marginalization must stop.
Re: Iranian Muslim Woman Becomes First Female To Win "Mathematics Nobel Prize" by DonaldGenes(m): 3:47pm On Aug 15, 2014
Maisuya1: Masha Allah,

I pray my wife studying mathematics at masters level surpasses that feat.

Can I get an ameen to that?

Pay me and I will make your 59Likes round up to 60Likes
Re: Iranian Muslim Woman Becomes First Female To Win "Mathematics Nobel Prize" by Timijo(m): 4:13pm On Aug 15, 2014
Why won't she won it? When all the Iranian men are busy fighting jihad.
Re: Iranian Muslim Woman Becomes First Female To Win "Mathematics Nobel Prize" by DAVE5(m): 4:17pm On Aug 15, 2014
J12:

Seriously? Must everything be about gender equality? This is just stupid
abeg tell them ohh, abi was there ever a competition between men and women (that started this gender equality tingy) that am not aware of
Re: Iranian Muslim Woman Becomes First Female To Win "Mathematics Nobel Prize" by Nobody: 4:35pm On Aug 15, 2014
http:

Can you leave the Arabs to their problem and let us Nigerian face our serious problem at home...
....sir,i strongly believe in interventionism-more also in the well-being of others including myself.the message is we should not kill the stars because of our beliefs......
Re: Iranian Muslim Woman Becomes First Female To Win "Mathematics Nobel Prize" by obisage(m): 4:36pm On Aug 15, 2014
diamond4life: good. but knowledge is power and power is wisdom. but we all av our very special area of interests. eg i didnt usually get less than a distinction in maths throughout my school days, but am not using it at all in my chosen career. (the answer is -3 by using bodmas)
thanks for ur understanding bro.
I tot you'd call me foolish like the regular Nairalanders.
I'm into multimedia and the little maths I know is sustaining me.
Re: Iranian Muslim Woman Becomes First Female To Win "Mathematics Nobel Prize" by Nobody: 5:10pm On Aug 15, 2014
bonaventure73: Wow.. The first good news from iran since 1800
c as this comment the chop likes. cool
Re: Iranian Muslim Woman Becomes First Female To Win "Mathematics Nobel Prize" by stankezzy: 5:13pm On Aug 15, 2014
NobleG1: For her being a Muslim and great in Mathematics (Western education), Boko Haram would have killed her if she was a Nigerian .
dis same people dat are killing students are rushing to congratulate her,i wonder oo!
some even say dat obama will feel bad so d whole lot dat america have been doing scientiffically no follow.
i am a science student,memorizeng maths or solveng somebodys work ,no be where work day oo,
d work na to apply mathematicall reasoning nd deductions in building scientific equipments which usa,western countrys ,japan nd china are still leading.
solve d whole maths bt cant produce anytin is rubbish.
micheal faraday is a mathmatician produced tranformer,albert ainstein produced nucler b.
dis wonan produced (0)
Re: Iranian Muslim Woman Becomes First Female To Win "Mathematics Nobel Prize" by simpleseyi: 5:25pm On Aug 15, 2014
freshness2020: I have lost an adjective to describe her feat.
What!! Anyways, congrats ma.

You can use a Noun to describe her feat e.g. you can say " she is a witch" . grin
Re: Iranian Muslim Woman Becomes First Female To Win "Mathematics Nobel Prize" by simpleseyi: 5:29pm On Aug 15, 2014
Timijo: Why won't she won it? When all the Iranian men are busy fighting jihad.

Your English is pathetic, where you imPatience Jonathan's class mate. You are definitely less educated than the Arabs you all abuse.

1 Like

Re: Iranian Muslim Woman Becomes First Female To Win "Mathematics Nobel Prize" by numericalguy(m): 5:31pm On Aug 15, 2014
stankezzy: dis same people dat are killing students are rushing to congratulate her,i wonder oo!
some even say dat obama will feel bad so d whole lot dat america have been doing scientiffically no follow.
i am a science student,memorizeng maths or solveng somebodys work ,no be where work day oo,
d work na to apply mathematicall reasoning nd deductions in building scientific equipments which usa,western countrys ,japan nd china are still leading.
solve d whole maths bt cant produce anytin is rubbish.
micheal faraday is a mathmatician produced tranformer,albert ainstein produced nucler b.
dis wonan produced (0)

hahaha see beef o! grin

If you were one of the judges that awarded the prize, you would have asked them to crucify her.
Them haters are having serious headache and stomach pain. grin
Eiya! pele.
Re: Iranian Muslim Woman Becomes First Female To Win "Mathematics Nobel Prize" by numericalguy(m): 5:32pm On Aug 15, 2014
Paentera:

Now let me school you - it was Arabs that introduced Mathematics and not Islam. Obviously you are oblivious to the fact that Arabic and Islam are mutually exclusive and are not one and the same. There are also Arabic Christians if you must know and tribes like the Yazidi are not Muslims.

Know your FACTS and stop coming here to teach falsehood

I know your type, you have been brainwashed to hate Arabs and/or Muslims.

Go back in history and you will find out that it was the Muslims that brought learning and education to mankind. Even the whites (your slave masters) know this and are rather silent on the matter because they know they can never change history.

I'm sure you are also very much ignorant of the fact that the oldest university in the world is an Islamic institution located in Arab land where science was studied at a time when the whole of Europe was wallowing in ignorance, magic and superstition.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but its too late to change history.
Watching CNN and BBC is not enough to educate you. Please learn to read books also.
Re: Iranian Muslim Woman Becomes First Female To Win "Mathematics Nobel Prize" by freshness2020: 5:38pm On Aug 15, 2014
simpleseyi:

You can use a Noun to describe her feat e.g. you can say she is a witch . grin
K...so where is the noun in this sentence?
Re: Iranian Muslim Woman Becomes First Female To Win "Mathematics Nobel Prize" by Paentera(m): 5:42pm On Aug 15, 2014
numericalguy:

I know your type, you have been brainwashed to hate Arabs and/or Muslims.

Go back in history and you will find out that it was the Muslims that brought learning and education to mankind. Even the whites (your slave masters) know this and are rather silent on the matter because they know they can never change history.

I'm sure you are also very much ignorant of the fact that the oldest university in the world is an Islamic institution located in Arab land where science was studied at a time when the whole of Europe was wallowing in ignorance, magic and superstition.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but its too late to change history.
Watching CNN and BBC is not enough to educate you. Please learn to read books also.

Hate Arabs? Hate Muslims? So I don't expose you for who you really are - a paranoid, blinded, hate-filled and mis-educated jingoist, I will not waste my time disproving you half baked wit.

I will reiterate, Arabs and Arabic language is mutually exclusive of Islam and even though many Arabs are muslim, it does not mean ALL Arabs are muslim. Take some time to learn and gain knowledge and stop this BS of we against the world.
Re: Iranian Muslim Woman Becomes First Female To Win "Mathematics Nobel Prize" by bukatyne(f): 5:45pm On Aug 15, 2014
J12:

Seriously? Must everything be about gender equality? This is just stupid

I believe in GE and I agree with your post

If men do the work, let them get the credit & vice versa.

The writer of the article just rubbished the woman's handwork by suggesting that she was given the prize because she is a woman and not because she deserves it.

OP: Kudos to the woman &her fellow awardees
Re: Iranian Muslim Woman Becomes First Female To Win "Mathematics Nobel Prize" by bukatyne(f): 5:49pm On Aug 15, 2014
IbrahimMav: Alhamdulillahi.

A definite proof that Islam promotes and encourage Mathematics in all gender contrary to what western media would have you believe.

Masha Allah.

Abeg!

Enough of this muslim this and that

Is Noble prize an Islamic award?

A woman excelled in her field and instead to celebrate her and encourage others to emulate her, you guys turned it to a religious affair.
Re: Iranian Muslim Woman Becomes First Female To Win "Mathematics Nobel Prize" by bukatyne(f): 5:54pm On Aug 15, 2014
Gorrbachev: My goodness, see inferiority complex. They even looked for an old picture of the Prof. where she is wearing a head cover. Person wey dey rock low cut. the cunningness of muslims irritates me. damn grin grin grin grin

Please post a current picture

Editted:

OP can you please change your picture and topic?

The most recent picture of her shows she is on low cut. Except you are telling us that some muslim women are exempt from the headcover, I do not think our prof is a poster woman for excelling muslim women
Re: Iranian Muslim Woman Becomes First Female To Win "Mathematics Nobel Prize" by skasski: 6:05pm On Aug 15, 2014
She has been living in the USA for 15 years. And I doubt that she has considered yourself as a muslim.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Six Qualities A Good Husband Must Have / Killing Of Snakes In Islam.. Views And Conclusions / Prostration As A Mode Of Greeting In Islam ! Why The Conflict ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.