Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,031 members, 7,818,046 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:55 AM

NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters (30847 Views)

Breaking:- FG Sacks All Resident Doctors / Amazing! Patients Pay Doctors To Use Surgical Equipment Atigbobi Hospital / Nation Wide Strike By Resident Doctors From 1st October (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by ocelot2006(m): 8:30pm On Aug 15, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Look,,,,here is the scoop.

Residency training in Nigeria goes like this.....you write an exam called the primary (of which there are two flavours....West African, which carries more power....and National/Nigerian...which is just as hard).After you pass....you then get a place to do the residency (Which involves job interviews/exams). Then once you get the job...you work as a junior resident for two-three years....after which you write an exam that if you pass (it is a very tough exam) you become a senior resident. Then another three years....after which you write the exam that if you pass means you become a consultant. ALSO....you do a research project during the time you are a resident....and THAT project is part of your final exam for consultant.

So, sacking all the residents....means you have to replace like for like.And a common medical officer(Like me!)cannot just slip into the shoes of a senior resident....or even junior resident. To put it simply.....it is a disaster waiting to happen. And poor Mr Consultant would have a hard time of it....doing most of the jobs that senior resident is supposed to do.And students...the young medical students...would have a hard time of it.

It isn't that simple. You cannot replace experience.

THANK YOU DR!! Most Nigerians yapping here don't know disaster that awaits this crucial sector. The FG just shot itself in the footing, and I can assure you that there will be a recall soon.

7 Likes

Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by 9japatroit(m): 8:31pm On Aug 15, 2014
bushdoc9919:

They head to private hospitals....and some of these hospitals do have residents!(One of OBJ's initiatives)

But even then....the private hospitals cannot do everything.....so a lot of people do suffer in silence.

they don't only suffer in silence,alot of people have died avoidable deaths in the course of this strike either due to d fact that they could not afford private hospital bills or the private hospital lacked manpower and basic equipment to help,if it has not happened to you ,you will think it is far fetched.this government is simply crazy!.

5 Likes

Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by eaglechild: 8:32pm On Aug 15, 2014
prettyprettywow: i thought your leaders said we have 47,000 Drs? how come they are now 30,000?
Some have died
Some have retired
Some (a very significant number) are out if the country.

1 Like

Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by ocelot2006(m): 8:36pm On Aug 15, 2014
Seeeeeeee: PRIVATE HOSPITAL DEY

Okay oh. When you're told to pay N250,000.00 for a surgery that'll cost you N80, 000.00 at a teaching hospital, you will understand.

10 Likes

Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by Nobody: 8:36pm On Aug 15, 2014
Considering the fact that residency was put in place by an Act of the national assembly it can't be abolished by executive fiat. Methinks the executive order is null and void cause it s ultra vires its powers! Get a lawyer fast!

2 Likes

Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by prettyprettywow: 8:37pm On Aug 15, 2014
phantom:
....and who bloody cares abut your sympathy. i ve said it many times that the doctors do not give a rats a*** about your sympathy.swallow it!

most of you here ranting have doctors you all call on phone when ill. these same doctors you are crucifying will still answer those phone calls and even tell you what drugs to take FREE OF CHARGE! please name another group of professionals that will give you free consultations.
is it the lawyers
is it the engineers
is it lecturers

na wa o!
call Drs on phone, and they diagnose your ailment and prescribe via phone without physical examination and lab investigations?. Lol. I weep for una. Drs are indeed 'small gods'. What the Drs are now fighting for is their jobs and not the 24 commandments again. This life get as E be sha. NMA called for the outsourcing of other health care professionals aside Drs, now whose services have been outsourced? What goes around comes around. When hunger go don wire una for 1-2 months, una go hear am.

Govt please recall them. We need them o. we don know who be the master

6 Likes

Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by johnbosco97(m): 8:39pm On Aug 15, 2014
[color=#006600][/color]
MT: I have been following this development with keen interest. As much as I am not a Jonathan person, I am fully supportive of his actions. Its not like we have Medical doctors in Nigeria since the strike action commenced. The doctors intentionally drag themselves in the mud and now the FG will cut them to sizes. This will end badly for the doctors, mark it.

It seems that you're ignorant of what is happing in the health sector. Its the poor masses that will suffer. Doctors will emerge from this stronger than ever. All they needed is patience and unity. The poor masses will bear the brunt. Let me share this with forum. It happened last week. My neighbour who works in the medical record department boasted one day that she knew everything in medicine and her knowledge surpassed mine as a doctor. Last week she fall ill probably malaria, she came to me begging for free prescription as usual. I advised her to go to private hospital, she ignored me. A day later, she came shivering and vomiting, I also advised her to go hospital. She went and was admitted for 24 hours. She paid 20,000 naira and since then she has stopped making silly comments about doctors. She learnt a big lesson she will never forget.

8 Likes

Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by ocelot2006(m): 8:40pm On Aug 15, 2014
phantom: MDCAN (association of consultants)has reacted. i guess the FG will look for locum consultants too... cheesy cheesy

Oh....Now we're f@&ked

1 Like

Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by MT: 8:40pm On Aug 15, 2014
Its so interesting how doctors are coming up with detailed analysis of what residency is all about. Thank you for that , not that we never knew before. But get this straight, medical sector is about to be strategically repositioned and FG has all the aces.. Surely resdency will be reinstated but on a very new term that will remove all the existing excesses. Its going to be a take-it or leave-it kind of a thing. Doctors can't be holding the nation and other professionals to ransom. This corrective action by Jonathan is welcome.

8 Likes

Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by betatalk: 8:42pm On Aug 15, 2014
Did NMA tell d doctors not to touch their salaries - the one month in lieu by touching it na acceptance?

Where is NMA wen d country needs it?

A responsible association would have called off strike because of ebola and go back after the situation is under control since strike na their new calling?

1 Like

Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by Malawian(m): 8:44pm On Aug 15, 2014
Dreambeat: Fashola did not win anything. Don't let me go into the details of what happened. We have to fight this battle now once and for all for the good of the populace and the progress of the health sector in this country. A lot of people are just so uninformed about what is going on in our government hospitals, those that are, choose to take side against doctors out of sentiment. Things can not just continue the way they are right now. The hospitals are in a big mess. I know how many times I have had to walk and sometimes run to the theatre to BEG for disposable gloves to work with. Lots of things are just not right in our training centres especially.
who told you you are fighting for the populace? who beg you? ode.

7 Likes

Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by Nobody: 8:44pm On Aug 15, 2014
oloshi doctors wey go use Ur life savings treat Ur malaria..
Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by Malawian(m): 8:49pm On Aug 15, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Oh no....you wouldn't want that. grin

Privatizing the health sector will make doctors like me very happy....because we are going to get paid hefty salaries.

It is ordinary Nigerians like you that will suffer in the form of increased fees.....and increased health care costs. Especially for chronic illnesses like stroke, diabetes,even serious injury that requires long hospital stay.

(And even with a Health insurance scheme.....you will soon find out that your insurer won't pay for certain diseases. As one family friend found out with NHIS when his daughter came down with a serious illness.).
i dont know which school gave you an MBBS. privatizing the hospitals will not make you "doctors" owners of the hospital. there will be a hospital management board to run the show. you will receive your salary and only your salary if your attendance is up to date. stop living in dreamland cos the party is over.

10 Likes

Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by phantom(m): 8:49pm On Aug 15, 2014
this is a post from a nairalander who lost his dad,a soldier in the north to boko haram. RIP to the gallant soldier

He called me some weeks back and was complaining about the poor and inadequate amunition given to them, in Liberia and Sierra Leone was more than enough bullets for them to fight with but here they are given 30 to 60 bullets each day.
The current Commander in Chief, GEJ is not helping the nation, just 45 solidiers engaged 300 insurgents in a fiearce gun battle for 2 whole hours yet no land or air backup.
The soldiers fought till they ran out of bullets yet didnt run away but chose to die, this country is not worth dying for.

https://www.nairaland.com/1859120/nigeria-army-hero-father-gone

3 Likes

Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by prettyprettywow: 8:51pm On Aug 15, 2014
eaglechild:
Some have died
Some have retired
Some (a very significant number) are out if the country.
So we don't produce Drs every year to replace the dead and retired ones? I guess the new Drs are already working in America, Canada, Australia and UK?
Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by prettyprettywow: 8:53pm On Aug 15, 2014
odeotito: Considering the fact that residency was put in place by an Act of the national assembly it can't be abolished by executive fiat. Methinks the executive order is null and void cause it s ultra vires its powers! Get a lawyer fast!
Residency program was not abolished, but was just suspended to allow Govt solve the health sector problem. It will still be restored when the neede changes have been made
Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by Nobody: 8:53pm On Aug 15, 2014
Malawian:
i dont know which school gave you an MBBS. privatizing the hospitals will not make you "doctors" owners of the hospital. there will be a hospital management board to run the show. you will receive your salary and only your salary if your attaendance is up to date. stop living in dreamland cos the party is over.

No ......you don't get it.

Privatization means that you pay higher for all hospital services...while we docs....and by extension nurses, pharmacists, etc...get paid higher by your hospital management board....because you get the best out of your staff with high salaries(As someone who has worked for the Govt and for a private hospital...I know). And of course...we would come to work on time.

Privatization hurts you more than the hospital staff.

11 Likes

Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by Sirgen05(m): 8:55pm On Aug 15, 2014
I'M AFRAID OF EVERYTHING IN THIS COUNTRY!!!

WHERE ARE WE HEADING TO??
Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by Malawian(m): 8:56pm On Aug 15, 2014
bushdoc9919:

No ......you don't get it.

Privatization means that you pay higher for all hospital services...while we docs....and by extension nurses, pharmacists, etc...get paid higher by your hospital management board....because you get the best out of your staff with high salaries(As someone who has worked for the Govt and for a private hospital...I know). And of course...we would come to work on time.

Privatization hurts you more than the hospital staff.
you are the one that does not get it. you doctors will not be the one charging patients for medical care, you just stay at your duty post and when the month is up, you go with your long throat and collect your salary.
if you throw tartums and not genuflect when receiving your sarary, you will see the door. tongue tongue

7 Likes

Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by Nobody: 9:00pm On Aug 15, 2014
Malawian:
you are the one that does not get it. you doctors will not be the one charging patients for medical care, you just stay at your duty post and when the month is up, you go with your long throat and collect your salary.
if you throw tartums and not genuflect when receiving your sarary, you will see the door. tongue tongue

OK.....privatization means no more government subsidies for the hosptials.

Hospital management board raises fees to meet costs.

That means that the average Nigerian pays more for health care.

And it means that we medics get paid higher salaries....because we are now working for a private company....not the government.(and private firms pay higher....keeps the staff loyal).

Health care becomes the preserve of the rich....and the poor(most Nigerians) won't be able to afford it.

Capisce?

12 Likes

Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by lordonwils(m): 9:00pm On Aug 15, 2014
Employ new ones from where? The US?
Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by Malawian(m): 9:01pm On Aug 15, 2014
ffs, this is africa. before oyinbo people came with their shait, our forefathers have been living for centuries without any so-called medical doctor. man, wtf? this your doctor shait wey don enter una head, can you err..ect a pillar on your own? wont you need civil engineers like my humble self? what about the drugs you use to "cure" people? can you say you are more important than pharmacist?

i dont even know why i am worked up by this strike thing, i hardly go to the hospital anyway. and in all my life, i have only been on admission just once.

someone even said he was "fighting for the populace"

4 Likes

Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by ozodigboo(m): 9:01pm On Aug 15, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Look,,,,here is the scoop.

Residency training in Nigeria goes like this.....you write an exam called the primary (of which there are two flavours....West African, which carries more power....and National/Nigerian...which is just as hard).After you pass....you then get a place to do the residency (Which involves job interviews/exams). Then once you get the job...you work as a junior resident for two-three years....after which you write an exam that if you pass (it is a very tough exam) you become a senior resident. Then another three years....after which you write the exam that if you pass means you become a consultant. ALSO....you do a research project during the time you are a resident....and THAT project is part of your final exam for consultant.

So, sacking all the residents....means you have to replace like for like.And a common medical officer(Like me!)cannot just slip into the shoes of a senior resident....or even junior resident. To put it simply.....it is a disaster waiting to happen. And poor Mr Consultant would have a hard time of it....doing most of the jobs that senior resident is supposed to do.And students...the young medical students...would have a hard time of it.

It isn't that simple. You cannot replace experience.
Are you sure you are a doctor ?
Because if yes, am sorry, you don't talk like one.
Why do you choose to address yourself as '' COMMON MEDICAL OFFICER '' ?
You are belittling yourself. . . . its not everybody that wants to go into residency. . . . some of ur colleagues are hitting it big as epidemiologists [ FHI, GHAIN etc ]
And there are some medical officers who have passed primaries, but are yet to get placements for residency.
Plz don't mess urself up in this forum.

3 Likes

Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by Adiwana: 9:02pm On Aug 15, 2014
prettyprettywow: call Drs on phone, and they diagnose your ailment and prescribe via phone without physical examination and lab investigations?. Lol. I weep for una
people really think being intelligent is sweeping As&Bs..well thats not that..am not in the medical line,buh my mum who's a nurse prescribes drugs via phone so don't tell me that..so wat u telling me that is if u have running stomach,dat ur family doc cant prescribe drugs for u via telephone...na wa oo!!

5 Likes

Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by edaolaropin: 9:02pm On Aug 15, 2014
laplace12:
There are more than 16000 unemployed doctors waiting to take that job
Haba! 16000 wetin? That's so false.

2 Likes

Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by Malawian(m): 9:07pm On Aug 15, 2014
bushdoc9919:

OK.....privatization means no more government subsidies for the hosptials.

Hospital management board raises fees to meet costs.

That means that the average Nigerian pays more for health care.

And it means that we medics get paid higher salaries....because we are now working for a private company....not the government.(and private firms pay higher....keeps the staff loyal).

Health care becomes the preserve of the rich....and the poor(most Nigerians) won't be able to afford it.

Capisce?

you are trying to escape your shaddow. you will be paid on scale according to how much the hospital makes per month, you salary can either increase or decrease or you can go set up your own practice. party is over.

3 Likes

Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by johnbosco97(m): 9:08pm On Aug 15, 2014
[color=#006600][/color]
Malawian:
i dont know which school gave you an MBBS. privatizing the hospitals will not make you "doctors" owners of the hospital. there will be a hospital management board to run the show. you will receive your salary and only your salary if your attendance is up to date. stop living in dreamland cos the party is over.

Yes the hospital management will run the hospitals but doctors will be paid higher. Each surgery a doctor does he will get a certain percentage 15 or 20%. As a resident , I do up to 20 CS a month and get nothing. Now were on strike I made money thrice my salary through doing surgery and patients pay well. I hope u have money to pay when it comes to your turn. Privatization all the way. May good lord have mercy for poor masses.

7 Likes

Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by Malawian(m): 9:08pm On Aug 15, 2014
Malawian:

you are trying to escape your shaddow. you will be paid on scale according to how much the hospital makes per month, you salary can either increase or decrease or you can go set up your own practice. [size=18pt] party is over [/size] .
Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by Malawian(m): 9:09pm On Aug 15, 2014
johnbosco97: [color=#006600][/color]

Yes the hospital management will run the hospitals but doctors will be paid higher. Each surgery a doctor does he will get a certain percentage 15 or 20%. As a resident , I do up to 20 CS a month and get nothing. Now were on strike I made money thrice my salary through doing surgery and patients pay well. I hope u have money to pay when it comes to your turn. Privatization all the way. May good lord have mercy for poor masses.
there you go again thinking you can dictate the terms of your engagement. what part of salary dont you understand?

4 Likes

Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by edaolaropin: 9:10pm On Aug 15, 2014
anytexy: Doctors are not suppose to go on strike no matter what. Because they are under essential duty just like Army, police, fire fighters etc. These professions their duty is to protect life also. Let it be documented that doctor should never go on strike I beg.
Haven't you heard of mutiny in the military? Remember there's always a limit to everything.
Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by Nobody: 9:10pm On Aug 15, 2014
ozodigboo:
Are you sure you are a doctor ?
Because if yes, am sorry, you don't talk like one.
Why do you choose to address yourself as '' COMMON MEDICAL OFFICER '' ?
You are belittling yourself. . . . its not everybody that wants to go into residency. . . . some of ur colleagues are hitting it big as epidemiologists [ FHI, GHAIN etc ]
And there are some medical officers who have passed primaries, but are yet to get placements for residency.
Plz don't mess urself up in this forum.

grin grin grin grin

Because I am a common,run of the mill,medical officer.

Epidemiology....is another form of residency....you do a Masters in Epidemiology(or a Masters in Public health with specialization in Epidemiology)....and after a Phd....the process which can take up to six years.(On the plus side...it can involve some foreign travels....one of my mates from med school is in East Africa on a project).

Plus...a Masters in Epidemiology can get you exempted from Primary exams in Public health.(yes....public health is one of the residency specialties...don't ask...long story.).

As for the places for residency thing....that is another long and complicated story....and it all boils down to funding (which is what NMA and JOHESU should be joining hands together to fight for....not some fight over who gets called what name....sigh)

3 Likes

Re: NMA Dares Jonathan - Asks Resident Doctors To Reject Sack Letters by Nobody: 9:14pm On Aug 15, 2014
Malawian:

you are trying to escape your shaddow. you will be paid on scale according to how much the hospital makes per month, you salary can either increase or decrease or you can go set up your own practice. party is over[size=18pt][/size].

You really want this privatisation do you?

Well......FYI...I am not opposed to it(And I even work in a large Private Hospital!as a staff doctor.......I do not work for the government)....and in fact believe it means extra funding for hospitals....so that we can do lots of research for example. Unfortunately....it is you poor Nigerians that would suffer.

So,unless you want to pay twenty times what you pay in a government hospital for the same service....you would not like privatization.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Lady Accuses Hospitals Of Turning C-section To A Profit Making Venture / Pile (homorrhoids) Is Dealing With Me, Please Help / 6 Side Effects Of Eating Too Much Salt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.