Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,281 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:05 AM

Corpers’ Lodge: How I Married Debbie - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Corpers’ Lodge: How I Married Debbie (2748 Views)

Photos: "Today I Married The Man I Met On Social Media. Don't Ignore All Your DM / I Married My Boo This Weekend (photos) / I Married My Girlfriend Because She Got Pregnant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Corpers’ Lodge: How I Married Debbie by Nobody: 11:30pm On Aug 17, 2014
Wow! Finally Debbie is mine. I feel like I have won atrophy. This is not the kind of feeling you have when you win an FA Cup. It’s the kind of joy that follows lifting a Champions League trophy. I actually lifted more than a trophy.

By the time I’m done with my story, you will understand theway I feel. I met Debbie at the NYSC camp. We were all on the queue; queuing to go into the Orientation camp. There were many people around, so my eyes kept scanning from one point of the camp to another point.

When we were finally in; I saw Debbie again, this time around she was very close to the registration point. I watched her closely, I watched how she carried herself, how she smiled, how she moved around. I kept looking at Debbie.

I strained my eyes trying to read the title of the book she was holding; all my eyes could see was “The…” Every other thing was faint from where I stood. Before long, Debbie was done with her registration. I silently prayed she stayed around until I was done with mine. By the time I was done with my registration, Debbie had disappeared. I was disappointed that I didn’t get closer to her let alone getting to know her name.

I was barely done with the bathroom, when the bugle sounded. The soldiers came around to drive us from the hostels. It was time for the first address by the camp commandant. I quickly I ran into the hostel, jumped into a pair of white shots. I was still struggling with my vest when the soldier came around. “Hey, Otondo, If I catch you there ehn!"

The commandant went on and on. He tried to put as much fear as possible in us. Some of us believed everything he said since it was our first time of getting that close to soldiers.On my way back to the hostel after we were dismissed, I saw Debbie walking with a guy. The way she moved, it was obvious she wasn’t comfortable with the guy. I told myself I would jeopardize my chance if I approached her after the guy left.

The following morning, we were divided into platoons. I was in platoon eight. I did not know Debbie was also in platoon eight until the second day.. Being in the same platoon afforded me the opportunity to closely monitor Debbie. I said closely monitored her in the sense that I was always interested in everything she did. Before I could make any significant move, Martins had taken over. He was seen almost everywhere Debbie went. I was so unhappy I didn’t go after Debbie the very moment I saw her at the gate. Debbie had everything I wanted in a woman plus more.

Few days into Orientation programme, Debbie was appointed as the President of the UNICEF backed HIV Awareness group. I was also a member. I told myself that an opportunity to at least introduce myself to her had just arrived and on a platter too.

We were always driven to a different center for our training. The mandate of our group was that members would replicate whatever we were taught wherever they we posted for their primary assignment.

The first day of the training, I walked up straight to Debbie during the break period. I introduced myself to her and told her I have seen her couple of times; that I decided to get closer and to hear how she sounded. Debbie smiled and introduced herself also.We chatted for a few minutes before the break was called off by the No-Nonsense State coordinator. He hurried everybody back to the hall.

After the day’s training, I met Debbie on her way out of the hall. We smiled at each other. My admiration for her grew. However, I noticed she smiled just the same way she smiled at me to every other guy.

As the leader of the group, everybody flocked around her; it made it difficult for me to call her aside to say anything to her. She was always busy at the training ground. Back at orientation camp, the other guy would not give her any breathing space.

At a point, I decided to perish the idea of asking Debbie out. I withdrew from her for a while. At the end of the three weeks orientation exercise, I was posted to a Government college in the State Capital. I was so elated because I was going to do my primary assignment in the state capital. Debbie was also posted to the state capital, however, to the NYSC secretariat. She was seconded to the office of theState coordinator of the HIV Awareness ProgrammeI was pleasantly surprised when I found out we were accommodated in the same corpers’ lodge. “Wow! Heaven must be involved in all these coincidences” I told myself.

The moment she sighted me at the lodge, she ran to me. We embraced very warmly. Yes, very warmly.Debbie couldn’t hide it; she was excited to see me in the same lodge as herself. I told myself I was not going to ‘dull’ anymore. Later that evening, we decided to work down town to familiarize ourselves with our new environment.

I told Debbie how much I admired her. How I couldn’t come closer because of the other guy that was always with her. I said everything I knew to Debbie. She laughed all through the discussion.

When I was done, she said “don’t worry, we are already friends. This period is for self discovery, so I will advice you don’t tie your emotion to anybody.”I wasn’t disappointed; at least I have made my feelings known to her. After that day, Debbie carried on as if I didn’t say anything to her.
Re: Corpers’ Lodge: How I Married Debbie by Amthol(m): 11:40pm On Aug 17, 2014
Okay, nice, good write up
Y d sudden stop finish d story
Re: Corpers’ Lodge: How I Married Debbie by ifyfaith: 11:59pm On Aug 17, 2014
Interested already,come n finish It up
Re: Corpers’ Lodge: How I Married Debbie by Kennedymac(m): 1:54am On Aug 18, 2014
following u pls update oo
Re: Corpers’ Lodge: How I Married Debbie by Nobody: 1:56am On Aug 18, 2014
Bros pls tell us what happened next. How will u start this mexican soap opera and not finish it.
Anyways how is Debbie? ;DBros pls tell us what happened next. How will u start this mexican soap opera and not finish it.
Anyways how is Debbie?
Re: Corpers’ Lodge: How I Married Debbie by mictima(m): 5:37am On Aug 18, 2014
cheiiii, ajuwaya love ... congrats bro, for marrying debbie. oya come finish wetin u started. there are great writers on nairaland, seeing the qualities already
Re: Corpers’ Lodge: How I Married Debbie by hatux: 6:24am On Aug 18, 2014
Following...
Re: Corpers’ Lodge: How I Married Debbie by priscaoge(f): 8:02am On Aug 18, 2014
Nice story. OP complete the story naa grin
Re: Corpers’ Lodge: How I Married Debbie by Nobody: 8:55am On Aug 18, 2014
I can't read this..
Re: Corpers’ Lodge: How I Married Debbie by marann(f): 9:37am On Aug 18, 2014
I saw dis same story on facebook months ago
Re: Corpers’ Lodge: How I Married Debbie by Dreyl(m): 9:53am On Aug 18, 2014
Op update asap
Re: Corpers’ Lodge: How I Married Debbie by Nobody: 12:10pm On Aug 18, 2014
wow
Re: Corpers’ Lodge: How I Married Debbie by FunkySilver(f): 12:37pm On Aug 18, 2014
Peepd tru d window, grabd a chair nd walkd in silently...... Wif a bottle of coke nd pop corn... Carry on jorh! Nice stowie...
Re: Corpers’ Lodge: How I Married Debbie by otalenu(m): 12:51pm On Aug 18, 2014
Op, e b lik say u wan receive punch for face, shey u no go update dis story ni??
Abeg do fast
Re: Corpers’ Lodge: How I Married Debbie by edufabulous(m): 3:08pm On Aug 18, 2014
Bia OP, if you don't continue this story ehn grin what happened in 1937 will repeat itself grin
Re: Corpers’ Lodge: How I Married Debbie by Chairbabe: 3:18pm On Aug 18, 2014
angryangryangry
Re: Corpers’ Lodge: How I Married Debbie by mizcalvina(f): 3:29pm On Aug 18, 2014
Wow nice story, but i hate suspense thou
Re: Corpers’ Lodge: How I Married Debbie by Nobody: 5:13pm On Aug 18, 2014
Op, u don fvck debbie? If not, u no try
Re: Corpers’ Lodge: How I Married Debbie by Nobody: 10:33pm On Aug 18, 2014
I decided to heed Debbie’s advice; after all there were a lot of things I planned for my service year. I had planned to embark on a personal project to enlighten the locals on the prevalent issue of HIV and AIDS and tuberculosis. I also planned to complete a book on ‘How to make the most of your service year’. A book I started writing before our call up letter was released.

So, I decided to face these projects and my primary assignment squarely. When I finished allotting time to all the projects, I realized Debbie was correct in her advice. I told myself I was not going to discuss relationship with heror any lady.

During our first CD, I was elected the PRO of our CD group. Debbie was still the head. A position she occupied from theorientation camp. As the PRO, it meant I would have to work closely with her. We meant business in our CD group. We embarked on some very ambitious projects. In some of the projects, we involved the State’s Ministries of Health and Women Affairs.

Before long, Debbie became very popular in the State. She was the face of our group and deservedly so.

I also worked assiduously on all my projects. When my book was published, Debbie took some copies of the book to the State Coordinator who graciously approved for us to take it to the office of the Deputy Governor and to other ministries.

On the day of the Book Launch, we witnessed a mammoth crowd of Corps members, NYSC staff and the representatives of the state ministries.

Everybody was shocked when the Deputy Governor walked in. He had come to represent his Excellency.

His Excellency applauded our set for being so creative and hardworking.We toured the length and breadth of the state teaching locals about HIV/AIDS.

During the week of our passing out, Martins, the guy that hung around Debbie reappeared. All corps members had converged on the state capital for the passing out parade.

One afternoon, I saw Debbie and Martins walking down thestreet. They were both holding hands. It felt like somebody put a dagger on me. The saliva in my mouth dried up immediately. My hand was very heavy; I barely lifted it up to wave at them.

When Debbie returned that night, she came straight to my room. I guess she came to check out how I felt. She left after staying for about five minutes. I didn’t say much to her. From that day, I avoided Debbie as much as I could.

On the day of the passing out parade, I tried as much as possible not to run into Debbie. I, Debbie and three other corps members were given immediate employment by the state government. The Passing out Parade (POP) was a very short ceremony.

In the evening, Debbie came to my room, we chatted a bit about the offer from the state government. I told her I did not plan to take the offer as I did not want to work in a ministry at that age. She mentioned she wasn’t going to accept the offer. I told her I would be leaving for Lagos that weekend.

“Why are you in a hurry?” she queried. Debbie told me she was going to stay till Wednesday of the following week. She requested that I stayed back too so we can return to Lagos together. I accepted to stay back with her until Wednesday. Staying back afforded us the opportunity to talk more. All our discussions centered on our plans for the future. I, however, refused to discuss relationship with her.Wednesday came; we left the lodge as early as possible to be able to catch up with the bus we paid for the previous day. Ordinarily, it was supposed to be one of those journeys that I should have enjoyed; however, the fact I didn’t want to do anything that would betray any emotion made me tensed up all through the entire trip. We did not discuss anything that made any sense to me. At a point, Debbie pulled out her novel and started reading . She would smile intermittently while she read the novel. I would pretend I didn’t notice her. Midway into the journey, our high wall collapsed. Debbie became tired. She closed the novel and dozed off almost immediately. As Debbie slept, she became increasingly restless because of the waythe seat was. Or so I thought. She kept slipping her head away from her seat until the head found its way on my shoulder. At first, I didn’t know whether to return the head to where it came from. Well, I decided to go with my instinct. I moved her head back to her seat. She opened her eyes as I was about taking my hands away. “My head is heavy abi?” she queried. “errm, no”, I stuttered.

“So leave it there.” She moved her head back on my shoulder. I smiled and gently stroke her forehead. She smiled too. She closed her eyes and slept off.

When our bus arrived in Lagos, Debbie asked how I planned to go home. I told her I was going to take a taxi all the way to my house. “And me?” she asked. I didn’t understand her question. “So you don’t want to make sure Igot home first and safe too?”

I pinched myself to be sure I wasn’t dreaming. “What other sign do I need? Debbie has fallen”, I told myself. I quickly arranged for a taxi. In the taxi she continued her sleep on my shoulder. Yes on my shoulder. It was a great feeling. The lady I admired for more than ten months was sleeping on my shoulder.

We got to their house in Ojudu Berger around quarter past eight at night. I wanted to go home after I said hello to her family members that came to welcome us. The mother refused insisting I must at least drink a cup of water in theirhouse before I leave. The cup of water turned out to be a sizzling plate of egusi soup and pounded yam. Soon enough, I lowered the mountain of food that was placed before me.The reception from Debbie’s family was so cordial. I felt at home. When I was ready to leave, Debbie’s mother handed an envelope to me. “That’s your transport fare back to your house. Take a taxi o, it is late to use public buses o” I attempted to resist the offer; Debbie collected the envelope from the mother and put it right inside my bag.

Debbie and her younger brother stood with me on the road until I got a taxi. They waved as the taxi man sped off.

Things moved very fast for Debbie and I. She got a job with a Foreign Donor Agency. She was employed as their country manager. I got a job three months later. I was employed by an agency heavily involved in the management and distribution of anti retroviral drugs. I did not officially ask Debbie out. Our relationship was sealed that day in the bus.

The family was so welcoming. From that night that I brought their daughter back from NYSC, I was accepted by all and loved by all of them.

My mother also appreciated the kind of lady I brought home. “Debbie is intelligent and has a way of charming herlisteners” she told anyone that cared.

I proposed to Debbie the month I was confirmed at work. We got married three months after. During our honeymoon,Debbie told me how she noticed me from the day I walked up to her at the orientation camp. How she was blown away by the lofty projects I embarked upon during our service year. That all she did was to test my resolve at getting her. That she purposely held Martins the week of our POP to see how I would react to it.

That was how I married Debbie, my lovely Debbie.

Everybody has a story. Tell us yours today.

THE END

1 Like

Re: Corpers’ Lodge: How I Married Debbie by zexzy(f): 10:52pm On Aug 18, 2014
Interesting story
Re: Corpers’ Lodge: How I Married Debbie by Chairbabe: 5:12pm On Aug 20, 2014
Wow,this is really interesting.
Re: Corpers’ Lodge: How I Married Debbie by Exponental(m): 5:47pm On Aug 20, 2014
@op....... After NYSC, how long did it take u guys to get marry?
Re: Corpers’ Lodge: How I Married Debbie by Welder(m): 6:26pm On Aug 20, 2014
Okay let me play the devils advocate here.

Guy, Martins banged your Debbie... you were a second option after Martins dumped her grin
Re: Corpers’ Lodge: How I Married Debbie by Sprintson(m): 7:38pm On Aug 20, 2014
Sits down hands on my head thinking how to get my own debbie...nice tory wt happy ending
Re: Corpers’ Lodge: How I Married Debbie by egopersonified(f): 10:06pm On Aug 20, 2014
All these wife scouters in camp. Reminds me of a guy in my platoon who was looking for an ibo girl to marry. His mum had told him to come home with an ibo wife, so he enlisted our platoon leader to help him get one. Becos of my name, which sounds like ibo, see two guys toasting away like there was no tomorrow, to make matters worse, they still told me about the ibo ish, I just told them I wasnt, kai, see disappointment written all over their faces. So I joined them in their campaign and started introducing them to ibo girls I knew. It really made camp fun, becos we spent the evening scouting, so I had a lot of friends at the end of it all. The guy hooked up with some girls then, but only God knows if any eventually worked out. Sorry to all those not camping this year, u will never know what u missed.

2 Likes

Re: Corpers’ Lodge: How I Married Debbie by Mogenerous(f): 2:39pm On Mar 17, 2015
This is a really nice story! How many pikin una don born
Re: Corpers’ Lodge: How I Married Debbie by Mhizizzy(f): 3:27pm On Mar 17, 2015
Too much
Re: Corpers’ Lodge: How I Married Debbie by Nobody: 4:26pm On Mar 17, 2015
Was she a virgin when u married her?

(1) (Reply)

TOP 5 Romancelanders With The Most INTERESTING Threads 2015 / 10 Reasons Why Bad Guys Always Get The Good Girls. / 11-year-old Was Impregnated By Her Step Brother Delivered Safely (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.