Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,128 members, 7,821,865 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:24 PM

Why Serve Guests With Your Best Plates & Glasses While You Use Ordinary Ones? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Serve Guests With Your Best Plates & Glasses While You Use Ordinary Ones? (1835 Views)

Parents Send Soldiers To Beat Guests At Son's Wedding / Which of These Punishments Did You Serve As A Kid? (Photo) / If You Use These Back Then And You Are Still Single, What's Happening? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Serve Guests With Your Best Plates & Glasses While You Use Ordinary Ones? by tranxo(m): 5:13pm On Aug 19, 2014
freecocoa: The plates I use to eat is what I serve my guests with, same for my mum.
Gbam!
Re: Why Serve Guests With Your Best Plates & Glasses While You Use Ordinary Ones? by tranxo(m): 5:23pm On Aug 19, 2014
carefreewannabe: To make them feel welcomed, comfortable and special.

I love having guests cheesy cheesy cheesy
Lol! Monkey dey work, baboon dey chop.

1 Like

Re: Why Serve Guests With Your Best Plates & Glasses While You Use Ordinary Ones? by Nobody: 5:29pm On Aug 19, 2014
tranxo:
Lol! Monkey dey work, baboon dey chop.

How do you know?
Re: Why Serve Guests With Your Best Plates & Glasses While You Use Ordinary Ones? by Nobody: 8:46pm On Aug 19, 2014
This thread reminds of a lady I once met in Lagos some years ago, she had bought very lovely dinner sets & cutleries for herself but then decided she would wait and use them when she got married. Mind you these wares were bought in England and the nature of her job required frequent travelling and relocation every two years or so from one country to another.

You won't believe that she took her wares with her to every country she went to, sealed up, brand new and unused. All in the name of waiting to get married before using them. One day she realized that she had been LIVING HER LIFE IN WAITING (which according to her was no way to live a fun & fulfilled life) and that was the day she decided to end the madness.

In her story to us she stressed the point that those wares could have gotten broken or lost in transit becoming useless to her and she never would have gotten any value for her money. Her story has stayed with me over the years and I constantly refuse to live my own life in waiting because I'm not guaranteed tomorrow.

So those of you who are always waiting for one thing to happen before you take action on another thing, please learn a lesson from this NO ONE IS GUARANTEED TOMORROW, DO WHAT YOU CAN TODAY AND ENJOY THE FRUITS OF YOUR LABOUR.
Re: Why Serve Guests With Your Best Plates & Glasses While You Use Ordinary Ones? by tranxo(m): 9:53pm On Aug 19, 2014
sihom: This thread reminds of a lady I once met in Lagos some years ago, she had bought very lovely dinner sets & cutleries for herself but then decided she would wait and use them when she got married. Mind you these wares were bought in England and the nature of her job required frequent travelling and relocation every two years or so from one country to another.

You won't believe that she took her wares with her to every country she went to, sealed up, brand new and unused. All in the name of waiting to get married before using them. One day she realized that she had been LIVING HER LIFE IN WAITING (which according to her was no way to live a fun & fulfilled life) and that was the day she decided to end the madness.

In her story to us she stressed the point that those wares could have gotten broken or lost in transit becoming useless to her and she never would have gotten any value for her money. Her story has stayed with me over the years and I constantly refuse to live my own life in waiting because I'm not guaranteed tomorrow.

So those of you who are always waiting for one thing to happen before you take action on another thing, please learn a lesson from this NO ONE IS GUARANTEED TOMORROW, DO WHAT YOU CAN TODAY AND ENJOY THE FRUITS OF YOUR LABOUR.

Wow!!!! You really took this to a whole new level. I love the perspective - insightful, motivating and in touch with reality.
Bravo!

1 Like

Re: Why Serve Guests With Your Best Plates & Glasses While You Use Ordinary Ones? by Nobody: 11:08pm On Aug 19, 2014
tranxo:
Wow!!!! You really took this to a whole new level. I love the perspective - insightful, motivating and in touch with reality.
Bravo!

LOL, don't hail me but thank the lady who kept it real and was honest enough to share her folly at a gathering. I learnt a valuable lesson that day I can't remember her name nor her face but her story and the wisdom in it still resonates with me and I hope some people will glean wisdom from it as well.

She was still un-married at the time of sharing this but she looked radiant and had an attractive persona which boiled down to a simple decision to make the most of life and live it to the fullest, married or not.
Re: Why Serve Guests With Your Best Plates & Glasses While You Use Ordinary Ones? by tranxo(m): 12:40pm On Aug 20, 2014
sihom:

LOL, don't hail me but thank the lady who kept it real and was honest enough to share her folly at a gathering. I learnt a valuable lesson that day I can't remember her name nor her face but her story and the wisdom in it still resonates with me and I hope some people will glean wisdom from it as well.

She was still un-married at the time of sharing this but she looked radiant and had an attractive persona which boiled down to a simple decision to make the most of life and live it to the fullest, married or not.
Lol. Thanks all the same....at least for sharing.
Re: Why Serve Guests With Your Best Plates & Glasses While You Use Ordinary Ones? by onegig(m): 1:18pm On Aug 20, 2014
Kachisbarbie: Hahahaha. I wonder why they do that o...
My mum is so guilty of that, and we were always quarreling way back.

Do we share the same mum? There's a truckload of assorted plates and other items that are kept in the store with dust piling up but she would just continue using the regular ones to serve. Na me dey always cause wahala whenever i am around. I just pull one of them out and serve myself. You go fear the kain eye she would give you but me i no send joor. Lol.

I guess that's the way they see it.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Should I Go Ahead, Please Its Urgent / He Molested Her Baby. / Keep The Stare On Your Spouse's Bosom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.