Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,921 members, 7,952,705 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 09:50 PM

Dr Ameyo Adadevoh Dies Of Ebola Virus - Health (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Dr Ameyo Adadevoh Dies Of Ebola Virus (61203 Views)

Patrick Sawyer's Widow Apologises To Adadevoh's Family / Dr. Ameyo Adadevoh Dies From Ebola Virus / Nigerian Female Doctor Dies Of Ebola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dr Ameyo Adadevoh Dies Of Ebola Virus by MOIart(m): 9:16am On Aug 20, 2014
It is painful how medical practitioners who are devoted to making life/body well for the sick are the ones dying of same disease.Because of this happenings,my mum told me not to go into my desired medical profession(not yielding though).

2 Likes

Re: Dr Ameyo Adadevoh Dies Of Ebola Virus by smite(m): 9:25am On Aug 20, 2014
karidad: How many doctors attended to this said Patrick Sawyer of a devil? Is it because he is a foreigner? because I bet an ordinary Nigerian ll nt receive dis kinda treatment frm our medical practitioners. RIP to d decreased.
I had same thoughts too!
Re: Dr Ameyo Adadevoh Dies Of Ebola Virus by JEITO: 9:33am On Aug 20, 2014
Just like abdulmutalib and kaita, this name sawyer needs to enter the naija dictionary.

But am still looking for the perfect explanation to give to it
Re: Dr Ameyo Adadevoh Dies Of Ebola Virus by morbeta(m): 9:48am On Aug 20, 2014
RIP. I think is time we go back and re-watch dis movie...

Re: Dr Ameyo Adadevoh Dies Of Ebola Virus by Nobody: 9:53am On Aug 20, 2014
RIP Ameyo, my condolences to the family.
Re: Dr Ameyo Adadevoh Dies Of Ebola Virus by Biggyd2: 9:55am On Aug 20, 2014
R.I.P Doctor.

My heart goes to all staff of First Consultant, who have lost some of their colleagues unnecessarily because of Mr. Sawyer. I mean, these people were only trying to help. It is so so sad. May God give the families of these fallen heroes the fortitude to bear their losses. cry cry cry

And for everyone one out there, please be careful. Be hygiene conscious and may God let this pass over soon.

2 Likes

Re: Dr Ameyo Adadevoh Dies Of Ebola Virus by morbeta(m): 10:05am On Aug 20, 2014
The fellow Nigerian, it is wrong to call Medical Doctors names at this trying time but reason with them. I undertand that their harzard allowance is 5,000. Will our non perform legislature accept 500,000 allowance for any harzardous situations.

5 Likes

Re: Dr Ameyo Adadevoh Dies Of Ebola Virus by Nobody: 10:13am On Aug 20, 2014
inteli:

When was this

Can you provide the source of this info?
it is true. The topic made front page. In fact she was the first victim to be discharge... According to the news that floated the air.

Pathetic!
Re: Dr Ameyo Adadevoh Dies Of Ebola Virus by philip2014(m): 10:15am On Aug 20, 2014
If u wanna study MEDICINE: consider the risks as well oooo not only d name #EBOLARIZING
Re: Dr Ameyo Adadevoh Dies Of Ebola Virus by Abumilla(m): 10:27am On Aug 20, 2014
what of the 4 other patients that were discharged Hope it is not also a lie. This minister of health should stop lying to Nigerians.
Re: Dr Ameyo Adadevoh Dies Of Ebola Virus by marv1: 10:30am On Aug 20, 2014
Lies upon lies. How can a whole minister give false informatn that the Dr is hale, hearty and has been discharged. It speaks loud of nigerian corrupt, systemic falure and yet the minister will sit there tight as if nothing has happend. God should help us o. What a funny country?
Re: Dr Ameyo Adadevoh Dies Of Ebola Virus by hardbody: 10:38am On Aug 20, 2014
ignis:
Ever heard of private hospitals?

Ok. So they went on strike from government hospitals so they can improve on the number of people that will have no choice than to access the private hospitals? In that process, the poor and indigent are further denied of an otherwise accessible medical care. I see the reasoning. That Oath they take is actually 'Hypocritical' especially in the Nigerian context.

As for the lady that has been reported dead, i have had the benefit of additional information as to why she died. I salute her courage and the sacrifice she made to save 170 million Nigerians who would all or mostly have been consumed by the scourge if the index carrier had been allowed to leave or escape from the hospital.

I understand she practically held the man down physically (with apparent knowledge of the consequences of her action and also the effects of any inaction at that point in time). May God remember her for good and may this silly country of ours immortalize her.

By the way, IGNIS, when next you disrespect me by asking me question like a KG pupil........

1 Like

Re: Dr Ameyo Adadevoh Dies Of Ebola Virus by ceaser: 10:45am On Aug 20, 2014
Henrypraise: Now des ar d kind of pple dat deserve national awards, not politicians.

Lemme use dis medium to also challenge all dos hungry men/ murderers parading demsefs as medical doctors, embarkin on strikes, to take example from dis Dr, life isn't always abt money n dats were Nigerians have scores it wrong, everybody is fightin for dia pocket/ money, no body is even fighting for glory talkless of fighting for humanity.

D fed govt shud tap into dis tragedy n encourage nigerians to be patriotic.

Tank u.

Asked whether doctors go on strike in Germany, one of our German collaborators in the Institute of Lassa Fever Research and Control, ISTH, Irrua answered. "Oh no. When doctors have issues government as a matter of priority resolves them urgently. Where there is a delay, other citizens embark on protests and if necessary strike while the doctors remain in the hospitals to take care of sick citizens and the emergencies that may result from the protest or the strike action embarked upon by the good citizens". What do we have in Nigeria? In spite of the fact that most strikes by doctors are in their interest with a view to improving healthcare delivery, they ridicule, criticize and insult the doctors. They are more comfortable with business as usual than positive change. Really, "was there ever a country" at anytime?

3 Likes

Re: Dr Ameyo Adadevoh Dies Of Ebola Virus by obk12(f): 10:56am On Aug 20, 2014
candy:
Do you think being a medical doctor is synonymous with committing suicide? If this doctor, of blessed memory, had known Mr Slayer had ebola, she prolly would not have touched him without an hamzat suit.

I know you will come here and say 'RIP' if there is a news report that says '1000' doctors died while saving 100 lives. Why would any doctor deliberately die and leave his/her family behind to suffer in Nigeria?
I challenge you to "take example" from this doctor and offer yourself as a volunteer caregiver at the isolation unit and shame those "hungry men/ murderers parading demsefs as medical doctors, embarkin on strikes". WHO/Doctors without borders will train you. Please be patriotic and stop insulting doctors, they are flesh, bone and blood like you.
God bless you for this comment. Its like been a doctor in Nigeria means you have signed ur death warrant. People in Nigeria especially Nlers like doctors dying as if they are not humans or they don't have families. #Pathetic#
Re: Dr Ameyo Adadevoh Dies Of Ebola Virus by Drone007: 11:21am On Aug 20, 2014
Dr Ameyo Stella Adadevoh of
First Consultants Hospital has
died from the Ebola Virus
Disease, which she
contracted after attending to
Patrick Sawyer, the Liberian/ American who brought the
disease into Nigeria.

Our sources say she
died this afternoon, Tuesday, 19
August, 2014, at an isolation
centre where she had been
quarantined along with other
doctors and nurses who treated Sawyer at First Consultants
Hospital, Obalende, Lagos.

Over the weekend, reports had suggested that she had survived the disease and had been
discharged from quarantine, until
the Minister of health, Professor
Onyebuchi Chukwu issued a
statement clarifying that she
was not the survivor.

Although, there was high hopes
that she would miraculously pull
through, it didn’t become a
reality.

She is survived by her son and
husband. May her soul rest in
perfect peace.
blueto:

[url]ynaija.com/site/breaking-dr-ameyo-adadevoh-dies-ebola-virus-infection/[/url]

another source confirming it-
www.dailypost.ng/2014/08/19/breaking-leader-sawyers-medical-team-dr-ameyo-adadevoh-dies-ebola/

Yet another Nigeria sacrifice to 'fellow African' countries, who ultimately turn around to pay back with prejudice and insults!
RIP Dr. Adadevoh!!!
Take heart the suddenly widowed husband, and orphaned son!!!!
Re: Dr Ameyo Adadevoh Dies Of Ebola Virus by Toks2008(m): 12:58pm On Aug 20, 2014
Oduduwaboy:
eh eh ehhhh!...a timely release of ZMAPP by America? you want to abuse obama for what? well, you must be a toddler because these comments could not have emanated from a matured mind.Let me spare you for now.

Oduduwaboy is your user name but im disappointed.

I have always maintained that Seun should provide a mental evaluation test before allowing anyone sign up to Nairaland.

In an online forum, people are entitled to their opinion and thus any form of sarcasm or abusive utterance is uncalled for.

Can't you be civil enough to write your comment without exhibiting a low life behavior?

This same experimental drug was used for three Americans. Ebola is a killer virus anyways and where we have people who were not even infected foolishly taking salt and water prescription, the best Obama would have done is to give the minimum quantity to save the few lives that are already affected.

Are you aware he has sent some doses to Liberia? When people write just dont reply with sarcasm but always try to comprehend.
Re: Dr Ameyo Adadevoh Dies Of Ebola Virus by Gbemmy135(f): 1:02pm On Aug 20, 2014
Great Woman. May your soul rest in perfect peace. God bless everything you left behind your husband, son and other relatives.

It is said that there is no greater love than to lay down your life for your friend. You put your live on the line for 170 million fellow citizens, many of whom do not even understand the concept of what it means to be a citizen. The angels will welcome you well and God will forgive all your sins. Sleep well a Great Woman.

3 Likes

Re: Dr Ameyo Adadevoh Dies Of Ebola Virus by laudate: 1:06pm On Aug 20, 2014
DANGOTEONE: RIP.

*Call for compensations for the family of those medical personnel who died in active service at First Consultants
Hospital should be directed at the management of First Consultants
Hospital and NOT THE GOVERNMENT;
*To be continued.

So because they were working for a private hospital, they stopped being Nigerian citizens? shocked

Does the government not have a responsibility to take care of its citizens (whether alive or dead), irrespective of where they are located?

Isn't that why developed countries that value the life of their citizens, would evacuate them from any foreign country whenever a crisis erupts? undecided

Do their government officials stop to ask them what they are doing in such crisis-torn countries before packing them into a plane and flying them to safety? Can't the same principle apply in this case?

The fact that Dr. Ameyo Stella Adadevoh was able to physically restrain Sawyer from bolting under her watch, which prevented him from escaping and going around to infect a greater number of citizens, deserves commendation. That singular act of courage, led to her being infected. This infection, in turn, led to her death. cry

So why shouldn't government compensation apply here??

2 Likes

Re: Dr Ameyo Adadevoh Dies Of Ebola Virus by laudate: 1:16pm On Aug 20, 2014
12inches1:
I'm sure you're a stark illiterate. It is not by compulsion a doctor must save lives. A doctor didn't come to earth with the sole responsibility of treating you. You pay and get treated or your government pays to subsidize what you pay. You can't force anybody to treat you. They didn't inflict you with the illness or hit you with a vehicle so how are they murderers?

"A doctor didn't come to earth with the sole responsibility of treating you." Hmmn... so why did the doctor spend 6 or more years in medical school, take the Hippocratic oath on graduation, spend another few years to become a consultant, if it was not for the purpose of treating patients?

Agreed, "you can't force anyone to treat you." So, if that is the case the doctors should not complain that the federal government called for their sack (even though I don't agree with this step). As a doctor, you can't be on strike, still keep collecting wages while sitting at home, refuse to offer medical assistance during a pandemic, then turn round to frown when sack letters are distributed, because in your opinion "you can't force anyone to treat you." undecided

If you rushed a grievously ill relative to the nearest government hospital (because there was no other health centre in the vicinity), only to discover that doctors were on strike and there was no one to offer diagnosis, treatment etc, because of the strike action, would you still turn round to post this comment you have made up here?
Re: Dr Ameyo Adadevoh Dies Of Ebola Virus by itstpia1: 1:20pm On Aug 20, 2014
hardbody:

Ok. So they went on strike from government hospitals so they can improve on the number of people that will have no choice than to access the private hospitals? In that process, the poor and indigent are further denied of an otherwise accessible medical care. I see the reasoning. That Oath they take is actually 'Hypocritical' especially in the Nigerian context.

As for the lady that has been reported dead, i have had the benefit of additional information as to why she died. I salute her courage and the sacrifice she made to save 170 million Nigerians who would all or mostly have been consumed by the scourge if the index carrier had been allowed to leave or escape from the hospital.

I understand she practically held the man down physically (with apparent knowledge of the consequences of her action and also the effects of any inaction at that point in time). May God remember her for good and may this silly country of ours immortalize her.

By the way, IGNIS, when next you disrespect me by asking me question like a KG pupil........

I wonder why he was so bent on heading for calabar.
Re: Dr Ameyo Adadevoh Dies Of Ebola Virus by inteli: 1:27pm On Aug 20, 2014
2sExy1: it is true. The topic made front page. In fact she was the first victim to be discharge... According to the news that floated the air.

Pathetic!

That's not true, the health minister came out to rebuffed that speculation by a section of the media.

1 Like

Re: Dr Ameyo Adadevoh Dies Of Ebola Virus by laudate: 1:32pm On Aug 20, 2014
SolomonAdeola: So Sad! Rest on Doc.

Personally, I tink our health system nids a full scale overhaul. More efforts shld b committed to Research. And Health workers strike actions shld b addressed. Its a National shame if ppl in d Security Forces, Health Sector and Education Sector held in high esteems are embarking on frequent strike actions....dats a No-No to transformation and progress.

Rest on Hero!

You are so right!

Am interested in what steps were taken by the medical team immediately they discovered that Dr. Ameyo Adadevoh went into a coma.

Was she placed in an intensive care ward? Was she hooked up to life support machines? Was she given intensive and adequate 24-hour monitoring & care? cry

What was the treatment regime that was administered? Did the medical team make contact with Emory University in the US which had treated Dr. Brantly (the American doctor who contracted Ebola in Liberia), to see if there was any useful lesson that could be shared, which would make the treatment of Dr. Adadevoh more effective?

There are too many questions that need answers here. Those who do not learn from the past are condemned to repeat it, in the words of George Santayana.

Her family had raised an alarm a short while ago about the quality of care, being given to the quarantined patients. The federal government & Lagos state officials were quick to deny their claims.

Now, see what has happened! The poor, diligent doctor is no more.
Re: Dr Ameyo Adadevoh Dies Of Ebola Virus by vivaciouzz(f): 1:48pm On Aug 20, 2014
sadRIP Doc..heard she is a descendant of Herbert Macaulay.
Re: Dr Ameyo Adadevoh Dies Of Ebola Virus by laudate: 1:53pm On Aug 20, 2014
Oduduwaboy:
you are a joke ! i bet its people like you that abuse doctors...and you dont know anything about how the doctor-
work is done.
Okay.Listen and learn. A house officer will have the first contact with the patient, then the registrar, followed by the senior registrar and the the consultant. They could all have seen him at the same time, however. So we have 4 doctors seeing a patient in any hospital that provides tertiary care.
Enough said.
And to think you already have 50 likes only shows the level of degradation of 'national' intelligence quotient in this messed up country!

Bros, all this one you have quoted here about how the medical chain consisting of a "house officer-registrar-senior registrar-consultant" attends to a patient, seems to only apply in a private hospital oh! wink

In a government owned public hospital, the patients only get to see house officers through out their entire stay in the hospital. Only in very few and rare cases, does any patient ever get to see a registrar. To see a consultant, would take the same number of days and length of time, it takes to go to the moon and back.

So I beg, do not give the impression that it is standard practice for any patient in a public hospital to have access to the entire "house officer-registrar-senior registrar-consultant" medical team. It is never the case, in reality. undecided

A relative of mine was once admitted in LASUTH for over a month. When his condition was not improving after 2 weeks, I requested to see the consultant. Haba! It was as if I had committed a crime. The house officer queried me angrily: "What for? Why do you need to see the consultant? You can't just see him like that oh!". shocked

When I pointed out that the patient's condition had not improved despite the tons of drugs and various tests that had been done, the house officer got angry and vowed to abandon the patient if we did not stop interfering. sad

i stood my ground and insisted that it was either the drug regimen was changed or further tests were carried out to determine why the patient was not responding to treatment. Bros, my insistence led to nothing oh! The doctor made good his threat, and walked away. angry

Nurses advised that we should go and beg him, as then next doctor was not due to resume until the next 6 hours were over.

To cut the long story short, the patient was finally transferred to a private hospital where he eventually regained his health.
Re: Dr Ameyo Adadevoh Dies Of Ebola Virus by Nelson1235: 2:28pm On Aug 20, 2014
shocked am tired of news men, they never say the truth. Naija we need beta prophet to pray for us.
Re: Dr Ameyo Adadevoh Dies Of Ebola Virus by iamafro: 2:55pm On Aug 20, 2014
Sympathy to the bereaved family. The 9ja media has some reckless, deceitful persons whose aim is to 'relay news' however true, dumb or illogical it sounds. angry Ain't it the same doctor that they said was 'recuperating' after been discharged?

she was not the one oo
Re: Dr Ameyo Adadevoh Dies Of Ebola Virus by Cityguy: 2:57pm On Aug 20, 2014
Oduduwaboy:
you are a joke ! i bet its people like you that abuse doctors...and you dont know anything about how the doctor-
work is done.
Okay.Listen and learn. A houseofficer will have the first contact with the patient, then the registrar, followed by the senior registrar and the the consultant. They could all have seen him at the same time, however. So we have 4 doctors seeing a patient in any hospital that provides tertiary care.
Enough said.
And to think you already have 50 likes only shows the level of degradation of 'national' intelligence quotient in this messed up country!
What do you expect of people who could not reason beyond primordial, hate-ladden sentiments? Just a bunch of sadistic beings masquerading as nl 'intelligentsia'. Have long stopped caring about what opinion they hold. If in this time and period, anyone thinks someone else should go and die while he or she sits that ass behind a laptop on a faceless forum typing gibberish, then he or she is on a long thing. After R.I.P, life goes on for these lot with their histrionic tantrums.
Re: Dr Ameyo Adadevoh Dies Of Ebola Virus by Cityguy: 2:59pm On Aug 20, 2014
einsteino:

Although i never met her and unfortunately am not an elected officer and therefore do not really have the mandate to represent anyone... Nonetheless i want to say as a nigerian i am sorry for your loss and on behalf of every ordinary Nigerian like me who would have died if not for her patriotism, i pray God almighty keeps her in His house and grants you the family the fortitude to bear the loss. Pls accept our condolences, sadly R.I.P is what ends matters like this in the crazy joke we call Nigeria.
Good man with good heart. Spot on!
Re: Dr Ameyo Adadevoh Dies Of Ebola Virus by neyur: 3:03pm On Aug 20, 2014
She did her job all for kindness and motherly cares.... You ar a true mother.R.I.P. I wush nigeria will remember you one day.
Re: Dr Ameyo Adadevoh Dies Of Ebola Virus by iheanyi40(m): 8:09pm On Aug 20, 2014
r.i.p doc
we will never forget u
we love u but God loves u most
Re: Dr Ameyo Adadevoh Dies Of Ebola Virus by honygold: 9:22pm On Aug 20, 2014
Rest in the blossom of our Lord,
Re: Dr Ameyo Adadevoh Dies Of Ebola Virus by laudate: 12:08am On Aug 21, 2014
vivaciouzz: sadRIP Doc..heard she is a descendant of Herbert Macaulay.

Here is another article about her...

Jide-Salu.com:
- The First Consultant Hospital was where the late Patrick Sawyer, the Liberian-American, was diagnosed with the deadly Ebola disease. Mr. Okubadejo said his colleague (Stella Adadevoh) was trying to save Patrick Sawyer’s life and does not deserve to die. He has appealed to the U.S. government to urgently send whatever medication in its possession on Ebola virus to Nigeria.

Dr Ameyo Adadevoh held fort for Nigerians. She refused to allow Mr Sawyer leave First Consultants Hospital even when the Liberian ambassador pressured her to release him. Imagine what would have happened if she had let him go. Ebola virus would have been much more widespread than what we are dealing with now. She is now fighting for her life because of her contact with Patrick Sawyer.

HERBERT-MACAULAY-COVER

Olayinka Herbert Samuel Heelas Badmus Macaulay (November 14, 1864 – May 7, 1946) was a Nigerian nationalist, politician, engineer, journalist, and musician and considered by many Nigerians as the founder of Nigerian nationalism. (source – wikipedia)

Gratitude goes to a reader (Ken) of this blog who pointed out this piece of information.

Dr. Ameyo Stella Olubunmi Adadevoh is the first grandchild of Mrs Sarah Idowu Abigail Adadevoh nee Macaulay, so she is a great granddaughter of Herbert Macaulay.

Her Father was Prof. Babatunde Kwaku Adadevoh who was a grandson of the grand old man of Nigerian anti colonial politics who was also a fine physician.

She is not to be confused with her Aunt Mrs. Stella Ameyo Folashade Marinho nee Adadevoh. undecided

Ameyo is an excellent and dedicated physician whom her family, patients and everyone who has ever had any interaction with her do not want to lose. They, as well as most Nigerians are praying round the clock for her recovery.

http://jide-salu.com/2014/08/16/stella-shade-ameyo-adadevoh-ebola-infected-consultant-is-a-grand-daughter-of-herbert-macaulay-founder-of-nigerian-nationalism/

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

COVID-19: Bukola Olopade Tests Positive, First Case In Nigerian Sports / Soldier Goes Haywire After Smoking Colorado (Video, Photos) / Can Hydrolic Synthetic Brake/clutch Fluid Cure Eczema

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.