Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,801 members, 7,810,083 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:20 PM

My Younger Sister Is Getting Out Of Hand! - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Younger Sister Is Getting Out Of Hand! (6755 Views)

I Don't Have A Close Relationship With My Younger Sister. / Help Me My Sister Is Getting Out Of Hand / I Saw This Inside My Younger Brothers Bag (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Younger Sister Is Getting Out Of Hand! by Vivly(f): 7:12am On Aug 21, 2014
Why is nobody telling the Op to discipline the girl?
Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child but the rod of correction drives it away.

1 Like

Re: My Younger Sister Is Getting Out Of Hand! by SAMBARRY: 7:17am On Aug 21, 2014
Vivly: Why is nobody telling the Op to discipline the girl?
Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child but the rod of correction drives it away.
lmao 19 be child? undecided

40 year old man no dey phok 17 year old girl undecided

in the Nigerian constitution a 13 year old girl is TECHNICALLY regarded as an adult because some paedos in some parts of Nigeria still marry and have sek with 13year olds how much more 19 year olds

1 Like

Re: My Younger Sister Is Getting Out Of Hand! by Nobody: 7:28am On Aug 21, 2014
Okay, so you have tried all methods necessary?...you should first understand that at that age,she's prone to such behaviour, she probably has a boyfriend and so,she thinks she is on the same level with you, Don't be surprised if she starts competing with you in your own house..,my advice is this,sit her down,no need for fight or you yelling at her,she isn't your mate,talk to her,let her know what is expected of her as a female at that age,her responsibilities,what is right from what is wrong, remember,you are more like the mother now,and you are responsible for her.

Talk to her about how the things she does today will affect her in future, remind her that you only want the best for her,heart to heart talk is important my dear,let her see you as someone she can trust,love and confide in,when all this is put in place and she comes to understand that you love her and you're just watching out for her,she will be the one to open up and start being responsible.

Forget sending her out,or putting a stop to some luxuries. ..what if she is your own daughter?, abeg life has thrown at you the responsibility of being a mother to your sister, work at it.
Re: My Younger Sister Is Getting Out Of Hand! by uglyogre(f): 7:39am On Aug 21, 2014
Abatemtem: I think it's due to over pampering from her dad(just assuming that's the case).I think it's time to show her who's the boss here!handle her in a strict manner."Strike d iron while it's still hot". If na Dstv u dey use,remuv d card whenever u r goin out, nd if na dvd player,keep d cords or d player itself nd dnt giv her money to buy junks outside. Might work out
Typical nigerian mentality. You are so nigerian
Re: My Younger Sister Is Getting Out Of Hand! by uglyogre(f): 7:47am On Aug 21, 2014
madam iwakolewa has said it all. who knows what you could have done to the girl to loose all iota of respect from her.This is just a one-sided story.Besides violence wouldn't solve anything but rather beget more violence. C'mon, this is your sister we're talking about here. Talk, reason and listen to her.

1 Like

Re: My Younger Sister Is Getting Out Of Hand! by Kanwulia: 7:54am On Aug 21, 2014
SAMBARRY: Kanwulia
Loretta
efemena
chilli sauce
Great God
sophyrocks
pickabeau
god my strength

your attention is needed here

You nor wan help? grin
You know I only like MAN-WOMAN wahala ke! wink
This "sister" mess I can understand.
No hopes for the girl.

The reason I WILL ALWAYS SAY PEOPLE SHOULD NOT RE-MARRY WHEN THEY HAVE CHILDREN TO RAISE!

While their father is busy satisfying his blokos, the children are left to raise themselves!
There is nothing the OP can do. He needs to face his life! PERIOD! kiss

3 Likes

Re: My Younger Sister Is Getting Out Of Hand! by theplanmaker: 7:56am On Aug 21, 2014
she is 19, definitly not a kid. speaking from my own experience, if you follow the advice of most people here, I.e using extreme measures, you ll only suceed in pushing her outside, into the hands of a man that ll take advantage of her.

she is already grown up, so you can't beat the bad attitude out of her, (can you even beat her?) you just have to help her change. let her know how much you love her as your only sibling. and you can't afford to let her stay on this destructive path.

in a kind loving and polite way, point out the negative things you have noticed, and suggest ways of changing them. let her tell you what she feels you should change too, perhaps there are things that annoy her too.

divide the chores, and rotate them, so she doesn't feel like you are bossing or controlling or over working her. be mild and gentle, never shout, even when she insults you, let her know you still care about her. give her a very long time to change.

make her your best friend, be open and honest. remember, you are dealing with an adult who has a mind of her own. you can't force her! ultimately, she must make her own choices in life, all you can do is advice and guide her. if she doesn't listen, then leave her, but don't give up on her.

she ll learn respect, and suffering will be her teacher

2 Likes

Re: My Younger Sister Is Getting Out Of Hand! by Nobody: 7:56am On Aug 21, 2014
[/quote]I think it's due to over pampering from her dad(just assuming that's the case).I think it's time to show her who's the boss here!handle her in a strict manner."Strike d iron while it's still hot". If na Dstv u dey use,remuv d card whenever u r goin out, nd if na dvd player,keep d cords or d player itself nd dnt giv her money to buy junks outside. Might work out[/quote] @Op, the advice above will only worsen the situation! Please don't do any of that. I think you should keep talkn to her. Wake her up very early in the morning and talk to her calmly, make her understand you are genuinely concerned about her and that she needs to change those bad attitudes of hers for her own good. Do that for like a week. Observe her to see if she's showing any willingness to change,if she's, then continue talking to her and helping her completely change by making some rules for her to follow. If she 's not willing for a change, send her back to your dad and make it clear that she's not welcome in your house until she drops those bad attitudes of hers. Don't give up your room and move into a separate one for her sake! If she feels she's incorrigible, she can go rent her own apartment and fend for herself.
Re: My Younger Sister Is Getting Out Of Hand! by experimentist: 7:58am On Aug 21, 2014
akitijackson: she's 19
19, she's a big girl.. Gimmie her numbers lemme talk some sense in her head, gud mawnin.
Re: My Younger Sister Is Getting Out Of Hand! by SAMBARRY: 8:24am On Aug 21, 2014
I don talk my own already. Let him lock the dstv when he's going out. If she choses to be promiscuous, it's her life. Open the door for her let her explore her sesuality. Am tired of all adults trying to bend dried fish.

She has passed her formative age but breaking the ops rules in his own home should not be acceptable. Op has his problems too and his sister is his moms responsibility to face. Deal with yours and forget hers.age go make am get sense
Kanwulia:

You nor wan help? grin
You know I only like MAN-WOMAN wahala ke! wink
This "sister" mess I can understand.
No hopes for the girl.

The reason I WILL ALWAYS SAY PEOPLE SHOULD NOT RE-MARRY WHEN THEY HAVE CHILDREN TO RAISE!

While their father is busy satisfying his blokos, the children are left to raise themselves!
There is nothing the OP can do. He needs to face his life! PERIOD! kiss

1 Like

Re: My Younger Sister Is Getting Out Of Hand! by Enoquin(f): 8:50am On Aug 21, 2014
My aunt had to go through same with her sister. The mistake she - and you - made was in proclaiming that she was her only sibling remaining and the last born child (they had lost two boys and their parents). My aunt sister became insolent, stole my aunt's money and even when my aunt tried to get her jobs, she'd go and then stop going even stopped schooling. One day after my aunt had gone to work, the sister took most of my aunt's fine apparels, money, jewelries and ran off.

Today, the sister is co-habitating with someone and now has a child. My aunt has been a source of help and encouragement to her and the sister has realised how late everything is, she cannot afford to be lazy or insolent as she now has a child and since she is not married to the man she is living with, he could kick her to the curbs. Neither can she move to my aunt's place as my aunt is now married.

The truth is once the foundation is wrong, there isn't much you can do except hope that the experience that changes them isn't too drastic.
*Use a soft tone when talking with her about tasks. For example: 'Madam, you no wash plates, why now?' 'How much did you get that meat? E be like say you sabi price things more than me...na you go dey go market'.
*Appreciate the little tasks she does.For example: 'Wow, the kitchen looks so nice today, well done/God bless you'
*Try and ensure she joins a group in church or mosque
*Talk to her once in a while. Ask her about her dreams, tell her yours.
*Rotate the stays, let her go and be with your parents sometimes.

Once you break into that fortress, start being firm by keeping house rules.

Dealing with any other person whether a child or adult requires emotional intelligence as not one solution fits all.

Best of luck.

4 Likes

Re: My Younger Sister Is Getting Out Of Hand! by Haywhymido(m): 8:50am On Aug 21, 2014
Op u r damn failing in ur duties to ur sister, so u can't report her to ur father n step mother right because dey will insult her, ok oo. If u can't get ur deserve respect 4rm ur sister now wen wil u be able to do so? If need be when nxt she talk back at u give her d needed(dirty slap). I so much hate d little ones disrespecting dier elders n do what @donpeey said
Re: My Younger Sister Is Getting Out Of Hand! by MadCow1: 8:53am On Aug 21, 2014
akitijackson: My younger sis who jst completed her exams came over finally to stay with me. She's my only sis, we lost our mum some years back and since then she has been living wth our step mum in another city because of schl. Now she's done wif secondary schl nd now stays with me at home.
Since she came, it has been from one quarrel to another. I can't even correct her because she jst returns it wif insults. Somtyms I go to schl only to come back to see a very unkempt house. She rarely wash d dishes, all she does is to sit nd watch movies frm mornin till night. I dnt even hav any1 to call to report her. I can't call my step mum because she'll jst use that to insult her. If I call my dad, it wnt even help.
I'm thinking of moving to the other room because I can't jst keep up with d disrespect and her dirty nature. It pains me to c my own sis growin to bcom somtin else. Sooner or later, I knw she'll bcom out of hand. She doesn't even cook, all she does it to drink tea always.
Pls I need advice on how to tacle dis issue. She's d only sibling I have. My step mum doesn't even hav a child for my dad so I dnt hav any1 apart frm her nd she's very stubborn. I dnt knw if she needs spiritual help, I'll be ready to take her for deliverance.

A Juvenile delinquent versus a Big Over-Bearing Sister..

This should be interesting..

#FollowingThread.. Cant wait to read all the suggestions from our genius e-advisers.
Re: My Younger Sister Is Getting Out Of Hand! by Nobody: 9:10am On Aug 21, 2014
uglyogre: madam iwakolewa has said it all. who knows what you could have done to the girl to loose all iota of respect from her.This is just a one-sided story.Besides violence wouldn't solve anything but rather beget more violence. C'mon, this is your sister we're talking about here. Talk, reason and listen to her.
can u tell me hw dis is a one sided story? I dnt disrespect myself, neither do I do tins dat will make her disrespect me. Maybe its because I'm too jovial. If it's a bf issue, I'm old enough to hav a bf. When she was arriving home, it was my bf nd I dat even picked her frm d park. Is dat enough reason for her to be so spoilt?
Re: My Younger Sister Is Getting Out Of Hand! by OCTAVO: 9:15am On Aug 21, 2014
In some cases, you need to flog these younger ones for them to know what's up. cool
Re: My Younger Sister Is Getting Out Of Hand! by OCTAVO: 9:16am On Aug 21, 2014
Vivly: Why is nobody telling the Op to discipline the girl?
Exactly!!!
I just saw your comment. A million likes for you. cheesy
Re: My Younger Sister Is Getting Out Of Hand! by Abatemtem(m): 9:36am On Aug 21, 2014
uglyogre:
Typical nigerian mentality. You are so nigerian
dnt blame me,datz wat my parents did @ one time we were small nd it worked ouit perfectly fine!"The end justify the means"
Re: My Younger Sister Is Getting Out Of Hand! by Nobody: 9:39am On Aug 21, 2014
akitijackson: can u tell me hw dis is a one sided story? I dnt disrespect myself, neither do I do tins dat will make her disrespect me. Maybe its because I'm too jovial. If it's a bf issue, I'm old enough to hav a bf. When she was arriving home, it was my bf nd I dat even picked her frm d park. Is dat enough reason for her to be so spoilt?
hey, I hope your bf doesn't come to your house and you two display some kind of affection before your sister undecided undecided

If you do, then why wouldn't your sis want to have hers seeing what you two do?? cheesy
Re: My Younger Sister Is Getting Out Of Hand! by adanduka: 9:40am On Aug 21, 2014
If you have a handsome, rich and respectable friend, then talk with him. Let him come around once in a while and make sure he comments on the filth and other unladylike habits. To impress him, she may change.

1 Like

Re: My Younger Sister Is Getting Out Of Hand! by Chubhie: 9:57am On Aug 21, 2014
Abatemtem: lol...one funny bt true thing is that all this type of problem usually starts when she gets too much of attention from guys
Then I suggest she be taken to a hospital and watch live the whole process of abortion or some youtube videos on abortion. The idea is not to bully her into submission but to give her a better perspective on the nature of things. Common she's only a kid whitewash her positively psychologically. There are always better cutting edge means of doing stuffs.
Re: My Younger Sister Is Getting Out Of Hand! by Abatemtem(m): 10:00am On Aug 21, 2014
Chubhie: Then I suggest she be taken to a hospital and watch live the whole process of abortion or some youtube videos on abortion. The idea is not to bully her into submission but to give her a better perspective on the nature of things. Common she's only a kid whitewash her positively psychologically. There are always better cutting edge means of doing stuffs.
she's 19 yrs!an adult nt a kid !

1 Like

Re: My Younger Sister Is Getting Out Of Hand! by An0nimus: 10:10am On Aug 21, 2014
balamz: At 19, her eye go don open and I suggest you do the following:
1 Explain to her the bad side of having a boyfriend I.e distraction from achieving her goals in life.
2 Tell her nobody would help her in hard times except her family, which is you.
3 Tell her nobody cares about her in the whole wide world except you, if she want to know the truth. Let her shock the dude with news of her being pregnant and she would see how the dude would run like a rat into the hole to hide.
4. Show her more love, care and attention. Don't be strict on her or else she would turn her back against you.
5. Give her reason to be more focus in life instead of watching tv. Dstv is just an entertainment. The actors she sees on tv are living a fake life. Example: Nobody knew jim lyke had a problem going by what we see on tv.
6. In times of cooking, you can joking tell her to come and see how food is being made, then from time to time you can use tricks on her to start cooking maybe from boiling of rice to stew and so on.
7. in times of cleaning the house, you can tell her to sweep only a small proportion and always use the word "abeg help me" because she may see its as a form of help not command and as time goes on she would be used to its.
8. Give her example of Dangote and other business men and women, whether she have seen any of them sharing their secret of how they made its in life. Why? Because that secret can only be share among their sons and daughters. That how the world is. Nobody cares about you or how you feel.
9. You can also share your issues with her so that in turn she does the same. Always gist. Bring funny topics.
10. A successful family is always a happy family. One problem from her affect the family only.
Don't be strict on her.
Well written. Permit me to add..

11. Pray for her. Some children have decided to NEVER change. Use all the methods in the world and they get more rebellious. Pray, talk to her and never give up hope.

Also, OP I won't advice being overly strict and grounding her from dstv and what nots. 9 out of 10 times this action backfires.

God's grace.

2 Likes

Re: My Younger Sister Is Getting Out Of Hand! by Chubhie: 10:17am On Aug 21, 2014
Abatemtem: she's 19 yrs!an adult nt a kid !
Mentally she's a kid and the elder sis is like a baby adult going by the way she wanted to handle issues. I mean no disrespect on her person.
Re: My Younger Sister Is Getting Out Of Hand! by Abatemtem(m): 10:19am On Aug 21, 2014
Chubhie: Mentally she's a kid and the elder sis is like a baby adult going by the way she wanted to handle issues. I mean no disrespect on her person.
if u say so
Re: My Younger Sister Is Getting Out Of Hand! by soonest(f): 10:57am On Aug 21, 2014
Op, all u can do is talk and talk and talk. Lay down some ground rules, set good examples urself and atimes u just hv to let her be. At 19,many of them are this stubborn. Don't forget to pray for her.
Re: My Younger Sister Is Getting Out Of Hand! by thorpido(m): 11:02am On Aug 21, 2014
Op,you have done nothing wrong like some people suggesting.Your sis grew up with a step-mother and your dad who obviously didn't do much to train her coupled with the fact that she might just be plain spoilt or rebelling.
You have to keep talking to her and showing her correction by love.She's 19yrs and no more a kid so you will have to apply wisdom with her.
You keep a boyfriend and like you said,you are not too young to do that.However,what example are you setting with the boyfriend you keep?whatever she sees you do with the boyfriend is what she feels she has freedom to do too.
Re: My Younger Sister Is Getting Out Of Hand! by GreenBobo: 11:12am On Aug 21, 2014
Your sis needs to understand that you mean well for her, even If she doesn't understand now, she will later do! Tell your dad and step mum,pastor / imam, anyone she has respect for about it, even If you feel that she will be 'insulted' .

At 19,you can't do much by merely talking / advising her. Since she stays mostly at home, your physical activities (your friends, your calls, how u dress, etc ) and how go about them would definitely influence her in a way. Actions speak louder than words!

If your dad is actually influencing her (negatively), Please do not send her to him! Help her! You're her big sis, If you abandon her now, you may not forgive yourself later!

Obviously, you Don't know her friends. Get close enough to your sis! Know her friends and the kind of persons they are. She might have a BF, get to know this person! Don't try talking her out of her relationship before getting to know him! Like it or not, she's an adult and her Guy might be of help!

Do you know the kind of movie she likes watching? get interested in her and show genuine concern . Don't belittle her why correcting her! Don't kill her spirit!
Re: My Younger Sister Is Getting Out Of Hand! by Nobody: 11:15am On Aug 21, 2014
Why do you all sound like a 19 yrs old is still a baby ? Op your family has pampered her too much and it has gotten into her head , my immediate is just like that , become strict with here , like if she don't cook she won't eat , take away all the beverages no one will tell her to go to the kitchen , as for her unkempt behavior , threaten that you'll seize her phone or disconnect the cable if you meet the house unkempt again , but try to talk to her and make her see its for her own good so she won't take it the wrong way, shell regret it later if she continues like this .
Re: My Younger Sister Is Getting Out Of Hand! by Nobody: 11:15am On Aug 21, 2014
@op, I blame u and ur father for not looking after that gal well.
During her formative yrs, where were u?
When d hormones were raging, did u care to explain things to her?
Did u make her ur friend?
Yes, if had seen her as a friend not younger sister, I tell u, u will be d first she will run to if she spots her first blood.

And ur daddy is a disgrace to good fathers out there if he can't raise up his little gal.

Stop wasting ur time here b4 its too late.
Bend down and make her ur friend and confidant. D way u will treat ur grownup friends is exactly how u will treat her.
No little sis thing(as u can see she is already telling u she is no longer a gal tru her xter)
Once u get her mind, d rest is history. She will worship d ground u walk on.

Ur next post will be how will I win her over.
Take note of what she likes.(Eg, she likes nollywood, watch with her and shout with her, allow d comments to flow, ask after her best nollywood xter, as u guys r still watching, jovially say" oh! I'm hungry, (give her a pet name if u can)come let's go and see what's in d kitchen"wink when u enter d kitchen, do as if to say u didn't see all d filths there, start doing something.
U can tell her to do this while u do that while still chating and laughing.

I tell u, in less than 2months,u will be so shocked at her turnaround.
I don't know if u r a guy but if u hv small change, u can take her out. Even with no money, just for sight seeing only is enuf.

The aim is to disarm her and change her already warped mentality with love and care.
All d best.

1 Like

Re: My Younger Sister Is Getting Out Of Hand! by Ethereal0110(f): 11:31am On Aug 21, 2014
just follow the steps below;
1) IGNORE HER
2) AVOID HER
3) LOOK AWAY FROM HER
4) ACT LIKE SHE IS NOT THERE
5) NO SEND AM MESSAGE
6) STAY ON YOUR OWN
7) IF SHE ENTERS YOUR ROOM, LEAVE HER AND GO TO THE PARLOR
coolIF SHE OR ANYONE QUESTION YOU; JUST DENY YOU ARE KEEPING MALICE
trust me this will work.
Re: My Younger Sister Is Getting Out Of Hand! by Godmother(f): 1:43pm On Aug 21, 2014
kreamidiva:

And Ebola too..

Lol
Re: My Younger Sister Is Getting Out Of Hand! by Nobody: 1:50pm On Aug 21, 2014
NNE, U NO GET CANE? undecided make i show u where dem dey sel customized ones grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Husband Caught Sleeping With His Wife's Sisters / Am Married He Wont Stop Calling Me, What Do I Do Please.for Matured Minds Only. / What % Of Married Women Would Use Their Body To Keep A high Paying Job?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.