Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,011 members, 7,817,981 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:33 AM

Where Is Africa Going? A Must Read Article By Philip Emeagwali - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Where Is Africa Going? A Must Read Article By Philip Emeagwali (1366 Views)

Dr Philip Emeagwali: Outlining The 25 Discovery Of Nigeria Greatest Scientist / Buhari Pictured In A Meeting With British Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond / How Philip Emeagwali Lied His Way To Fame (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Is Africa Going? A Must Read Article By Philip Emeagwali by Techwriter: 9:36am On Aug 22, 2014
You may see Philip Emeagwali as controversial but one thing you cannot take from him is his philosophical writing skill and his scientific prowess. Yes it may have been exaggerated but the truth still remains that most Africans have not attempted his feat in the science world. This is one of his write up I believe every African youth should read:

WHERE IS AFRICA GOING?
Out-of-the-Box Thinking in an In-the-Box World
[img]http://1.bp..com/-eLluBp8snXA/U_KjQiJc4II/AAAAAAAAAdE/lUX1MEcboHo/s1600/Philip-Emeagwali.jpg[/img] I once believed that capital was another word for money, the accumulated wealth of a country or its people. Surely, I thought, wealth is determined by the money or property in one’s possession. Then I saw a Deutsche Bank advertisement in the Wall Street Journal that proclaimed: “Ideas are capital. The rest is just money.” I was struck by the simplicity of such an eloquent and forceful idea. I started imagining what such power meant for Africa.

The potential for progress and poverty alleviation in Africa relies on capital generated from the power within our minds, not from our ability to pick minerals from the ground or seek debt relief and foreign assistance. If ideas are capital, why is Africa investing more on things than on information, and more on the military than on education? Suddenly, I realized what this idea could mean for Africa. If the pen is mightier than the sword, why does a general earn more than the work of a hundred writers combined? If ideas are indeed capital, then Africa should stem its brain drain and promote the African Renaissance, which will lead to the rebirth of the continent. After all, a renaissance is a rebirth of ideas. And knowledge and ideas are the engines that drive economic growth. When African men and women of ideas, who will give birth to new ideas, have fled to Europe and the United States, then the so-called African Renaissance cannot occur in Africa. It can only occur in Paris, London and New York.
Read More: http://think2wize..com/2010/09/where-is-africa-going-wrong.html

3 Likes

Re: Where Is Africa Going? A Must Read Article By Philip Emeagwali by QAPHAYNE: 9:40am On Aug 22, 2014
Wow thought provoking.

3 Likes

Re: Where Is Africa Going? A Must Read Article By Philip Emeagwali by Nobody: 9:45am On Aug 22, 2014
story

1 Like

Re: Where Is Africa Going? A Must Read Article By Philip Emeagwali by EasternLeopard: 9:46am On Aug 22, 2014
The day this fellow builds a reputable computer institute in Igboland, that day I will take him serious

The most important thing in life, is using your blessings to the good of others

Pls ask this fellow

What are his contributions to Igboland technologically

2 Likes

Re: Where Is Africa Going? A Must Read Article By Philip Emeagwali by Nobody: 10:22am On Aug 22, 2014
Well but to me Igbo people are the best in community development and support for developmental projects.

Whenever i go to my villa and see projects done by ASA USA i will marvel, recently Pita Obi partnered with a renowned heart surgeon in US to come back home, Obi built the hospital while the surgeon equipped it and came with his team and carried to carry out many operations.
The best thing is making those here to sit up and do something that will attract those outside.

They left long ago, we need to step up the notch, they are ready to help but are we doing enough.

With all these kidnapping, arm robbery, PDP N APC gangasterism, ritual killings, et al how can they put theirselves at risk just to render help?
EasternLeopard: The day this fellow builds a reputable computer institute in Igboland, that day I will take him serious

Pls ask this fellow

2 Likes

Re: Where Is Africa Going? A Must Read Article By Philip Emeagwali by Techwriter: 1:30pm On Aug 22, 2014
I understand you, but Nigerians need to value education and knowledge first before you bring such things if not they will loot the infrastructure. Our youths would rather attend a political rally to share immediate money than IT school to prepare for the future. Our political leaders would rather empower a tout than a youth with vision. We need a mental revolution and that is the essence of his write up
EasternLeopard: The day this fellow builds a reputable computer institute in Igboland, that day I will take him serious

Pls ask this fellow

Re: Where Is Africa Going? A Must Read Article By Philip Emeagwali by djon78(m): 1:51pm On Aug 22, 2014
True Word. Africas problem is simply not taping and developing the inexhaustible God given resources that is within the human mind. Secondly most of our people just live for the now, they are not futuristic, and they dont have even basic 1 year plan, talkless of 5, 10, 15, 20, 30 years plan. That is why our fathers generation wasted Nigerias resources without any development to show, while most Western, developing and developed nations already have detailed plan/blueprint for the next 50 to 100 years.

1 Like

Re: Where Is Africa Going? A Must Read Article By Philip Emeagwali by oneeast3: 2:09pm On Aug 22, 2014
Leading the pack since 1904!

1 Like

Re: Where Is Africa Going? A Must Read Article By Philip Emeagwali by Nobody: 3:22pm On Aug 22, 2014
in Nigeria, the Northern politicians are investing in Arabic and Sharia studies, they build mosques and sponsor trips to Mecca!

Their Southern counterparts are investing in trips to Europe, thuggry and community projects such as boreholes!

Then the rest of us, are struggling to get money to buy "imported" like car, shoe, etc and to install cable so we can watch CNN and "real" football!

Emeagwali, only a few people here will tune to your frequency, dont be suprised when some of them call you nanes!

1 Like

Re: Where Is Africa Going? A Must Read Article By Philip Emeagwali by Techwriter: 4:05pm On Aug 22, 2014
you are on point
noblezone: in Nigeria, the Northern politicians are investing in Arabic and Sharia studies, they build mosques and sponsor trips to Mecca!

Their Southern counterparts are investing in trips to Europe, thuggry and community projects such as boreholes!

Then the rest of us, are struggling to get money to buy "imported" like car, shoe, etc and to install cable so we can watch CNN and "real" football!

Emeagwali, only a few people here will tune to your frequency, dont be suprised when some of them call you nanes!
Re: Where Is Africa Going? A Must Read Article By Philip Emeagwali by victorVIC1(m): 4:38pm On Aug 22, 2014
#Deep

1 Like

Re: Where Is Africa Going? A Must Read Article By Philip Emeagwali by cr8v(f): 1:04am On Aug 23, 2014
victorVIC1: #Deep
Yeah! Very deeep
Re: Where Is Africa Going? A Must Read Article By Philip Emeagwali by lilprinze: 2:28am On Aug 23, 2014
We have everything yet we lack everything.We have all the natural resources and yet African is still the poorest continent in the world most countries or continent that don't have up to half of the natural resources we have are richer and more developed than us . Our politicians are not ready to develop Africa they are only interested in their pockets.
Re: Where Is Africa Going? A Must Read Article By Philip Emeagwali by Omexonomy: 2:58am On Aug 23, 2014
QAPHAYNE: Wow thought provoking.
thought provoking what!!! He should come back and contribute his own idea.
Re: Where Is Africa Going? A Must Read Article By Philip Emeagwali by eleojo23: 3:32am On Aug 23, 2014
Africa needs to get serious.
Re: Where Is Africa Going? A Must Read Article By Philip Emeagwali by Nobody: 3:43am On Aug 23, 2014
The fame of a shameless fraud.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

First Nigerian On The Board Of Health Systems Global / “i Want To Be President Of Nigeria” – Shekau Reveal In New Video / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.