Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,840 members, 7,810,234 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:18 AM

Catholic Priests That Changed The World - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Catholic Priests That Changed The World (39497 Views)

Catholic Priests Dance With Masquerade At An Event In Nnewi, Anambra / Top Ten Miraculous Catholic Priests In Nigeria / Catholic Priests May Be Allowed To Marry Amid Papal Changes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by ayusco85(m): 10:02am On Aug 24, 2014
gladpresh:
.....sad SMH...

Shake ur head well well until ur neck bend

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by Pavore9: 10:03am On Aug 24, 2014
Bergs: I no knw y person go dey answer Father when e no get pikin....haba. oya haters make una run follow me
U think say everybody get time. lf u feel like running go meet Kenyans dey have d energy 4 that, na u go tire!

7 Likes

Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by obayaya(m): 10:03am On Aug 24, 2014
mrarranger: Why all the hate on CATHOLICS?

As for me and my family,we will ask all from Jesus through Mary.

Make i say my CATENA......I dey come

Who's she that comes forth as the morning rising, fair as the moon, bright as the sun, terrible as an army set in battle array? cool - Song of Solomon 6:10

(Make the Sign of the Cross)
v. My soul glorifies the Lord.*
R. My spirit rejoices in God, my Saviour.
v. He looks on His servant in her lowliness;*
henceforth all ages will call me blessed.
R. The Almighty works marvels for me.*
Holy His name!
v. His mercy is from age to age,*
on those who fear Him.
R. He puts forth His arm in strength*
and scatters the proud-hearted.
v. He casts the mighty from their thrones*
and raises the lowly.
R. He fills the starving with good things,*
sends the rich away empty.
v. He protects Israel His servant,*
remembering His mercy,
R. The mercy promised to our fathers,*
to Abraham and his sons for ever. - Luke 1:46-55

v. Glory be to the Father, and to the Son and to the
Holy Spirit..
R. As it was in the beginning is now, and ever shall be,
world without end. Amen.

18 Likes

Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by QAPHAYNE: 10:03am On Aug 24, 2014
PrettySpicey: I know of Saints Thomas Aquinas, Ignatius Loyola, Albert the Great, Jerome.... it was nice to know about St. Gregory and the rest.

Great read, OP.

Thanks.
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by uzolexis(f): 10:08am On Aug 24, 2014
QAPHAYNE: 9) FRANCESCO MARIA GRIMALDI : A Jesuit priesr, he was the first to satisfactorily explain diffraction of light his bossom friend riccoli had this to say: ... Grimaldi was well prepared to teach all branches
of mathematics: geometry, optics, gnomonics,
statics, geography, astronomy and celestial
mechanics

Obayaya am grateful.
you did not tell me you are grateful for St Gregory,you are doing partia angry angry
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by QAPHAYNE: 10:09am On Aug 24, 2014
10) St PAUL: Of all the apostles, St Paul can perhaps be given the
greatest credit for the Christianization of the West. It
was his victory in a dispute with St Peter over whether
or not to require gentile converts to submit to ancient
Jewish practices that made the Christian life more
appealing to the citizens of the Roman Empire and
beyond. Were it not for his declaring that circumcision
(amongst other practices) were not necessary for
conversion, the Church would unlikely have spread with
the rapidity that it did in its infancy. Furthermore, St
Paul’s writing on the behavior of married couples and
the structure of the family remain influential for many
people today (though not as much as it did up to the
1960s).

3 Likes

Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by Chigold101(m): 10:09am On Aug 24, 2014
QAPHAYNE: 2) FATHER GEORGES LEMAITRE : This jesuit priest prove to us that religeon and science can go together. He is the father of the BIG BANG THEORY, and the propounder of HUBBLES LAW after reading his paper einstein remarked: your calculations are good but your physics is abominable
is this what u call sience & religion going together? His teaching removed GOD from the picture of creation... Evil teaching
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by epospiky(m): 10:11am On Aug 24, 2014
God bless them.
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by akinbe(m): 10:12am On Aug 24, 2014
Where is Saint Francis of Assisi, where is Saint Valentine?
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by basty: 10:13am On Aug 24, 2014
Please, how about Alfas and Imams?
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by uzolexis(f): 10:13am On Aug 24, 2014
Emmalot121: And Jesus asked his disciples"Who do people think I am" and Peter answered 'Christ the son of God' not CHRIST THE SON OF MARY which would have been the answer of the Pharesees and Saducees(spelling not sure.) which ye think like.
Though Mary is the earthly Mother of Jesus(not disputed) but Jesus was(lived) long before Mary was conceived and according to you she was favored to Give birth to her lord.No wonder Jesus said:My people slumber because of lack of Knowledge.
For Understanding begets Knowledge and Knowledge begets wisdom.How can you have the wisdom of God when ye fail to recognise Mary as the child of Jesus?As Jesus is a spirit who came in human form,a King who came in form of man and under who heaven and earth including Mary must bow,yet swallowed his pride and came as a baby through a sinner(every man was born a sinner)Mary.
I have said the little I can as God is a spirit and those that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth and Nothing earthly i.e Mary must be inferred to when worshipping God through Christ the father of Mary(in Spirit). sad

luke 1: 41-43 "as soon as Elizabeth heard Mary's voice she was filled with the holy spirit and the baby in her womb leaped for joy and she said-Blessed art thou amongst women and blessed is the fruit of your womb, who am I that the mother of my lord should come to me".........enough said

22 Likes

Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by kazmanbanjoko(m): 10:15am On Aug 24, 2014
Opolo eye, e no be open eye

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by cold(m): 10:20am On Aug 24, 2014
The white image of Christ is really Cesare Borgia

The Renaissance depiction of Christ as a handsome, thin-faced white man with a thin beard is based off of the likeness of Cesare Borgia (Chez-sar-eh Borja) the second son of Rodrigo Borgia, or Pope Alexander VI.

Cesare Borgia was born in 1475, and became a Cardinal in the Catholic Church at age 18. Realizing there was no power in a cardinalship, he resigned. His older brother Giovanni was mysteriously murdered in 1497, and Cesare assumed his role as Captain General of the Military Forces of the Papacy. He quickly launched a military campaign to conquer all of Italy.

During his brutal reign as Captain General, he influenced depictions of Jesus to resemble his likeness.

Interestingly enough, universal genius,Leonardo Da Vinci was the one assigned to paint the Christ on the model of Cesare Borgia

Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by chi33(m): 10:24am On Aug 24, 2014
I wan to be a priest....can I?

Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by Nobody: 10:27am On Aug 24, 2014
Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary,
that never was it known that anyone who fled to your protection,
implored your help or sought your intercession,
was left unaided.
Inspired with this confidence,
I fly to you, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother;
to you do I come, before you I stand, sinful and sorrowful.

O Mother of the Word Incarnate,
despise not my petitions,
but in your mercy hear and answer me.

Amen.

12 Likes

Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by calobinna(m): 10:30am On Aug 24, 2014
nice post

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by obayaya(m): 10:34am On Aug 24, 2014
grat1aeo: Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary,
was left unaided.

Amen.

The MEMORARE cool

8 Likes

Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by scobaba: 10:35am On Aug 24, 2014
...bet we priest dem tuday shaaaaa lipsrsealed
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by smudge2079(m): 10:35am On Aug 24, 2014
yea shyt change but ain't changing
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by Octaves(m): 10:37am On Aug 24, 2014
panachuku: all i knw is dat xtainity is a scam
that is all you know na. How can you know any other thing. Mtcheeeew!

4 Likes

Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by QAPHAYNE: 10:38am On Aug 24, 2014
akinbe: Where is Saint Francis of Assisi, where is Saint Valentine?

Saint francis was ordained as a deacon, not a priest. Check well and let's compare.
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by mahyowah(m): 10:40am On Aug 24, 2014
why is pope Francis' name not among? I think he deserves to be there.
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by akinbe(m): 10:44am On Aug 24, 2014
QAPHAYNE:

Saint francis was ordained as a deacon, not a priest. Check well and let's compare.

I shall do my findings
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by uzoexcel(m): 10:44am On Aug 24, 2014
i miss the catena sad sad sad
was left unaided.

Amen.
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by chinex276(m): 10:45am On Aug 24, 2014
My candid advice 2 all nairaland catholics: PLS STOP WORSHIPPING SISTER MARY, ABI NA ANTY MARY OR MOTHER MARY, PLS STOP WORSHIPPING HER, ONLY CHRIST SAVES, APART FRM HIM NO OTHER MEANS.
I rest my kase
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by chinex276(m): 10:47am On Aug 24, 2014
was left unaided.

Amen.
ehyaa!! I jus dey pity u
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by chinex276(m): 10:51am On Aug 24, 2014
cold: The white image of Christ is really Cesare Borgia

The Renaissance depiction of Christ as a handsome, thin-faced white man with a thin beard is based off of the likeness of Cesare Borgia (Chez-sar-eh Borja) the second son of Rodrigo Borgia, or Pope Alexander VI.

Cesare Borgia was born in 1475, and became a Cardinal in the Catholic Church at age 18. Realizing there was no power in a cardinalship, he resigned. His older brother Giovanni was mysteriously murdered in 1497, and Cesare assumed his role as Captain General of the Military Forces of the Papacy. He quickly launched a military campaign to conquer all of Italy.

During his brutal reign as Captain General, he influenced depictions of Jesus to resemble his likeness.

Interestingly enough, universal genius,Leonardo Da Vinci was the one assigned to paint the Christ on the model of Cesare Borgia

thanks, i wish others will know dis
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by pascalmilan11(m): 10:52am On Aug 24, 2014
st Augustine of hippo suppose to be their cos he is father of theology

1 Like

Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by Msrchyma(m): 10:52am On Aug 24, 2014
Emmalot121: I have asked this question and I will ask it again do the catholic belief Jesus is the child of Mary or Mary is the child of Jesus,if its the former,then its too bad.I also belief Mary is not as holy as to give birth to the one as Holy as the son of God,I would only tag her as the luckiest of women. angry sad

Even when the bible called her blessed amongst women?

Well, to each his own.
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by QAPHAYNE: 10:54am On Aug 24, 2014
pascalmilan11: st Augustine of hippo suppose to be their cos he is father of theology

My chief you can add him too. The list is by no means exhaustive.
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by obayaya(m): 10:55am On Aug 24, 2014
QAPHAYNE I think pope Johnpaul II deserves a mention.

His role in ending the cold war and communism in Europe.

His giant strides in improving the Catholic Church's relations with Judaism, Islam, the Eastern Orthodox Church , and the Anglican Communion

I believe he left the world better than he met it

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

4 Major Things Ruining Young People Today / Atiku/Buhari: When You Lose Don't Go To Court, Go Home, Apostle Suleman / Mfm Prayer On Deliverance Of The Mind Prayer Points

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.