Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,244 members, 7,811,686 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:12 PM

Catholic Priests That Changed The World - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Catholic Priests That Changed The World (39501 Views)

Catholic Priests Dance With Masquerade At An Event In Nnewi, Anambra / Top Ten Miraculous Catholic Priests In Nigeria / Catholic Priests May Be Allowed To Marry Amid Papal Changes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by Nobody: 12:50pm On Aug 24, 2014
OP kindly work on st Augustine who is the most influential of al the church fathers!! Onr of the greatest pilosphers and theologians who have ever lived!!!.Not to forget my favourite saint st Anthonia of padua one of the most spiritually gifted humans to have ever lived on this earth

1 Like

Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by Admark(m): 12:55pm On Aug 24, 2014
It dsn't suprise me dat dis people make it, bcazz d promised of God said dat if thou wil diligently hearking 2 d voice of d lord & do em then i wil set u on high abov all nations Deuteronomy28v1-28 , so dis were set on high due 2 obedient 2 Gad. Remain bless.
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by QAPHAYNE: 12:56pm On Aug 24, 2014
Pals permit me to add:

NICHOLAS STENO: the father of geology his methods are still used to routinely identify sedimentary rocks.
Steno believed in a literal global Flood and other aspects
of Genesis1:1-11, such as the 6,000-year timeframe. He
also used the Bible to interpret his geological findings,
which he found were totally consistent with Noah's Flood.

While many use science to dismiss GOD, it is important to note the role of christain faith in the positive advancement of science, in stenos words: 'One sins against the majesty of God by
being unwilling to look into nature's own works

almasterpiece much love.

1 Like

Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by Nobody: 1:01pm On Aug 24, 2014
Who Is Augustine?

Augustine was an important figure in the history of Christianity. He wrote about topics like predestination and original sin. Some of his doctrines separate Western and Eastern Christianity, and he defined some doctrines of Western Christianity. Example: Both Eastern and Western Churches believe there is original sin in the actions of Adam and Eve, but the Eastern Church, not influenced in this by Augustine, does not hold that humans share the guilt, although they experience death as a result.

Augustine died while the Germanic Vandals attacked northern Africa.

Dates:

Augustine was born on 13 November 354 at Tagaste, in northern Africa, in an area that is now Algeria, and died in 28 August 430, in Hippo Regius, also in what is modern Algeria. Coincidentally, this was when the Arian Christian Vandals were besieging Hippo. The Vandals left Augustine's cathedral and library standing.

Offices:

Augustine was ordained Bishop of Hippo in 396.

Controversies / Heresies:

Augustine was attracted to Manicheeism and Neoplatonism before his conversion to Christianity in 386. As a Christian, he was involved in a controversy with Donatists and opposed the Pelagian heresy.

Sources:

Augustine was a prolific writer and his own words were very important for the formation of church doctrine. His disciple Possidius wrote a Life of Augustine. In the sixth century, Eugippius, at a monastery near Naples, compiled an anthology of his writing. Augustine is also featured in Cassiodorus' Institutiones.

Distinctions:

Augustine was one of the 8 great Doctors of the Church, along with Ambrose, Jerome, Gregory the Great, Athanasius, John Chrysostom, Basil the Great, and Gregory of Nazianzus. He may have been the most influential philosopher ever.

Writings:

Confessions and City of God are Augustine's most famous works. A third important work was On the Trinity. He wrote 113 books and treatises, and hundreds of letters and sermons. Here are some, based on the Standford Encyclopedia of Philosophy's entry on Augustine:

Contra Academicos [Against the Academicians, 386-387]

De Libero Arbitrio [On Free Choice of the Will, Book I, 387/9; Books II & III, circa 391-395]

De Magistro [On The Teacher, 389]

Confessiones [Confessions, 397-401]

De Trinitate [On The Trinity, 399-422]

De Genesi ad Litteram [On The Literal Meaning of Genesis, 401-415]

De Civitate Dei [On The City of God, 413-427]

Retractationes [Reconsiderations, 426-427]

For a more complete list, see Church Fathers and James J. O'Donnell's list.

Saint's Day for Augustine:

In the Roman Catholic Church, Augustine's Saint's Day is August 28, the date of his death in A.D. 430 as the Vandals were (supposedly) tearing down the city walls of Hippo.

Augustine and Eastern Christianity:

Eastern Christianity holds that Augustine was wrong in his statements on grace. Some Orthodox still consider Augustine a saint and a Church Father; others, a heretic. For more on the controversy, please read The Blessed (Saint) Augustine of Hippo His Place in the Orthodox Church: A Corrective, from the Orthodox Christian Information Center.

Augustine Quotes:

"Virtue and vice are not the same, even if they undergo the same torment."
City of God I.8.

"My ears were already satiated with similar things; neither did they appear to me more conclusive, because better expressed; nor true, because oratorical; nor the spirit necessarily wise, because the face was comely and the language eloquent." (A thing is not necessarily true because badly uttered, nor false because spoken magnificently.)
Confessions V.6.

"Grant me chastity and continency, but not yet."
Confessions VIII.7.

4 Likes

Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by Emmalot121(m): 1:05pm On Aug 24, 2014
CharlieMaria:
If she is not Holy do you think she can give birth to Our Holy Lord and God Jesus? She is not just holy but the most perfect of all God's creatures. If she was not the most perfect God could not and should not have chosen her. Intact, before the foundation of the world She was prepared and chosen by God to fulfill her holy purpose. Lk1:28 refers to Her as full of grace. Lk1:48 tells us that all generations shall call her blessed. What does blessed means if not holy? How do you ever think she would have sin in her? It is only the devil that will make you conceive such in your mind, for the scriptures even declared her blessed, then who are you to say she is not as holy? All Ye Children of Mary rise up against these blasphemous toungues and declare her Blessed. O HOLY MOTHER OF GOD, let all creatures publish your praise through all ages, for the Holy Ghost through the mouth of St Elizabeth in lk1:48 proclaims you Blessed.
Now I see you worship Mary.Maybe you think Jesus first existed after his birth by Mary,No!Do you agree with me that before everyone was created Christ existed and not anyone including Mary was created without his knowledge.
Even John the Baptist who said he was created after Jesus,went into wilderness,preached about his comming and event baptised the messiah,who all can say never lived like human still felt himself less worthy and with all this,the Bible said he will be the least man in heaven.Then who is Mary when the Bible practically said:For all have sinned(including Mary) and have fallen short of the Glory of God.
Mary might not have sin in her as at the birth of Christ,but was born a sinner,as the bible even proves to us that Christ ate and drank with sinners.
Finally,the Bible says:Thou shall have no other god except for me.Mary is the handmaid of God,a child and servant of Christ,for Christ is no human,but a Holy Spirit and son of God,who came through a mortal,Mary,to cleanse and wash away our sins.
Then I leave you with a question,who do you really think Jesus Christ is?Son of Mary or Son of God
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by QAPHAYNE: 1:12pm On Aug 24, 2014
magnusalbertus: incomplete without saint albertus magnus

I talked about him, see previous pages. Thanks a lot
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by QAPHAYNE: 1:13pm On Aug 24, 2014
Admark: It dsn't suprise me dat dis people make it, bcazz d promised of God said dat if thou wil diligently hearking 2 d voice of d lord & do em then i wil set u on high abov all nations Deuteronomy28v1-28 , so dis were set on high due 2 obedient 2 Gad. Remain bless.

Well said
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by Emmalot121(m): 1:19pm On Aug 24, 2014
CharlieMaria:
Pleaae brother Mary is not a sinner. She was ever Holy and sinless. Christ was man like us in all things execept sin. So how can Christ to die for our sins using a body defiled by sins? It takes the freed to free the unfreed. It takes a sinless mary to give birth to a sinless Jesus. If you say Mary had sinyou implicate Jesus. For you sat invariably that a sinful body and blood was shed for us but you and I know that Jesus was unblemished. And that Jesus said we should worship him in truth and spirit doesn't hinder you from calling the intercession of Mary for James5:14-16 encouraged us to pray for one another for the prayer of a righteous man availeth much. Remember that a righteous man sins 7times in a day. If the prayer of a righteous man availeth much even with seven falls in a day how much more the prayer of the sinless Mary?
With this I ask you,Is Christ the son of God or Son of Mary.If all things were created in the presence of Christ,that must include Mary.If a sinless and holy man like John the Baptist could count himself unworthy to Baptise Jesus,how worthy was Mary.For Christ was born for the sinful and not the sinless and Mary was a mortal.And the Bible said for all have sinned and have fallen short of Glory of God.For Mary might have been sinless as at the birth of Christ but according to the words of John the Baptist,was not holy enough to give birth to the son of God,who was even before the creation of Adam.
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by QAPHAYNE: 1:20pm On Aug 24, 2014
DeepSight:
It is refreshing to read the OP because it is frankly nauseating to see the way atheistic fanatics these days make it appear than every one who believe in God or has a religion is an ediot.

The fact is that the vast majority of all learning in history has been propounded by religious people.

Thanks my pal
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by QAPHAYNE: 1:25pm On Aug 24, 2014
frank043: Gabriele Falloppio (1523–1562) – Canon and one of the most important anatomists and physicians of the sixteenth century. The Fallopian tubes, which extend from the uterus to the ovaries, are named for him.

Coming soon sir. Thanks
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by Nobody: 1:28pm On Aug 24, 2014
Please every catholic should ignore the attention seeking Emmalot121 guy and concentrate on the message here

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by Ignatio(m): 1:34pm On Aug 24, 2014
obayaya:

You were a block rosarian? And you didn't understand that Catholics honor mary? shocked

One question sir!!! Why did you leave the faith?

Don't mind the confused human being.
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by QAPHAYNE: 1:39pm On Aug 24, 2014
Please let's also add:

GABRIELLE FALLOPIO: was perhaps the most outstanding
and versatile of 16th century Italian anatomists. Even though he died of pulmonary tubercolosis, he was the first to fully explain primary dentition. He was the first to describe a condom, even though it was for syphillis protection. The fallopian tube was named after him.

Much regards to frank043

1 Like

Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by SELENAqueensy(f): 1:48pm On Aug 24, 2014
St. Joesph of Cupertino
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by uzolexis(f): 1:50pm On Aug 24, 2014
frank043: Nice one!!! Where have you been??
been around, busy with exams and all. How have you been?

1 Like

Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by Nobody: 1:50pm On Aug 24, 2014
berem: Oya tell us the truth na! Mtscheeeew!! undecided

Proudly Catholic for life! cool
For once in my Nairaland history, am liking your post. Please keep it up
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by QAPHAYNE: 1:52pm On Aug 24, 2014
SELENAqueensy: St. Joesph of Cupertino

He didn't really do anything grand for humanity unlike the others. My opinion though.
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by Emmalot121(m): 1:53pm On Aug 24, 2014
chukwudi44: Please every catholic should ignore the attention seeking Emmalot121 guy and concentrate on the message here
We will
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by uzolexis(f): 1:57pm On Aug 24, 2014
Emmalot121: Now I see you worship Mary.Maybe you think Jesus first existed after his birth by Mary,No!Do you agree with me that before everyone was created Christ existed and not anyone including Mary was created without his knowledge.
Even John the Baptist who said he was created after Jesus,went into wilderness,preached about his comming and event baptised the messiah,who all can say never lived like human still felt himself less worthy and with all this,the Bible said he will be the least man in heaven.Then who is Mary when the Bible practically said:For all have sinned(including Mary) and have fallen short of the Glory of God.
Mary might not have sin in her as at the birth of Christ,but was born a sinner,as the bible even proves to us that Christ ate and drank with sinners.
Finally,the Bible says:Thou shall have no other god except for me.Mary is the handmaid of God,a child and servant of Christ,for Christ is no human,but a Holy Spirit and son of God,who came through a mortal,Mary,to cleanse and wash away our sins.
Then I leave you with a question,who do you really think Jesus Christ is?Son of Mary or Son of God

I already answered your question but you had nothing to say after my reply instead to choose to attack someone else about the same thing.....i can see you are just interested in arguing and whatever anybody says wont make any difference so it's pointless trying to explain this to you. A word of advice though -don't condemn what you don't understand. smiley smiley
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by korel9: 2:03pm On Aug 24, 2014
heefeholuwah: before you remove the piece of wood in your neighbour's eye,remove the log of wood in urs...aint u also here doing the same thing your accusing him of...people tho...smh#

Why drinking panadol over somebody else's headache?
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by QAPHAYNE: 2:11pm On Aug 24, 2014
obayaya: QAPHAYNE I think pope Johnpaul II deserves a mention.

His role in ending the cold war and communism in Europe.

His giant strides in improving the Catholic Church's relations with Judaism, Islam, the Eastern Orthodox Church , and the Anglican Communion

I believe he left the world better than he met it

His tenure was messed in so much controversy, from gay bishops, to paedophillic priests, to money laundering.
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by frank043(m): 2:15pm On Aug 24, 2014
QAPHAYNE: Please let's also add:

GABRIELLE FALLOPIO: was perhaps the most outstanding
and versatile of 16th century Italian anatomists. Even though he died of pulmonary tubercolosis, he was the first to fully explain primary dentition. He was the first to describe a condom, even though it was for syphillis protection. The fallopian tube was named after him.

Much regards to frank043
Thumbs up bro...I'm proud to be a CATHOLIC!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by Emmalot121(m): 2:15pm On Aug 24, 2014
uzolexis:

I already answered your question but you had nothing to say after my reply instead to choose to attack someone else about the same thing.....i can see you are just interested in arguing and whatever anybody says wont make any difference so it's pointless trying to explain this to you. A word of advice though -don't condemn what you don't understand. smiley smiley
After your write up,you wrote 'enough said.'
Do you belief the first creature created by God is Jesus christ?Do you belief Jesus knew Mary even before she was formed in her mother?Do you belief nobody is holy enough to give birth to the son of most high God?Do you in the spirit belief Christ is the father of all,including Mary?Do you in the spirit belief Mary is the child of Jesus.Do you belief God is the only perent of Jesus and Mary and Joseph were used in fulfilling the scriptures.Do you belief Mary would be like every other man in heaven with no special treatment just like a sinless and Godly man like John the Baptist would be the least man in Heaven,then my beautiful sister,we are on the same page.'
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by frank043(m): 2:18pm On Aug 24, 2014
uzolexis:
been around, busy with exams and all. How have you been?
Eyaa,I wish you all the best. I'm good,trying my best and praying harder. Anything for your boy?
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by Missonas(f): 2:19pm On Aug 24, 2014
The more they hate the more we cling to our doctrine! grin

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by QAPHAYNE: 2:19pm On Aug 24, 2014
frank043: Thumbs up bro...I'm proud to be a CATHOLIC!!!!!

You are far too kind.

1 Like

Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by frank043(m): 2:23pm On Aug 24, 2014
uzolexis:

Uzo,pls leave this guy,he is just interested in being noticed and probably mocked. Its a waste of time...wash a pig and bathe a pig,a pig will always be a pig.
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by Piro4rl(m): 2:45pm On Aug 24, 2014
They r gr8t people that we must honour.
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by CzarChris(m): 3:08pm On Aug 24, 2014
And why is Martin Luther not on this list? I can see that after all these centuries, the catholic church hasn't forgive him because of his publications, particularly his "Disputation of Martin Luther on the
Power and Efficacy of Indulgences," later known as 'The Ninety-Five Theses'.
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by Olamilekan08(m): 3:11pm On Aug 24, 2014
QAPHAYNE: 4) NICHOLAS COPERNICUS : There is some doubt as to whether Copernicus
eventually became a priest as we only have evidence
that he took minor orders (the first stages of the
priesthood) but his fame, and the possibility that he was
ultimately ordained – make him a worthwhile addition.

He pointed the fact that the sun not the earth was the centre of solar system, he delayed publication of his book for fear of persecution for a guy who had no bachelors degree, lost his parents at 10 the father of modern astronomy deserves a mention here.
Hmmm.. From the stories of Copernicus and Galileo that i've come across anywhere, he didnt publish his work for the fear of being persecuted by the church, because then, the church believe in the earth being the centre of the universe. And we all know what happen to those who oppose the church then.
This is the first time i am seeing this.
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by Sobrit(m): 3:12pm On Aug 24, 2014
Emmalot121: I have asked this question and I will ask it again do the catholic belief Jesus is the child of Mary or Mary is the child of Jesus,if its the former,then its too bad.I also belief Mary is not as holy as to give birth to the one as Holy as the son of God,I would only tag her as the luckiest of women. angry sad
you proved you have just a smattering of the scripture. Go and do your home work before coming here to sound like u are intelligent.
For a guide, go study luke chapter 1. Rev 12: 1john 4:2-3
you will be glad u did
Re: Catholic Priests That Changed The World by icekidgodfrey(m): 3:18pm On Aug 24, 2014
Emmalot121: I have asked this question and I will ask it again do the catholic belief Jesus is the child of Mary or Mary is the child of Jesus,if its the former,then its too bad.I also belief Mary is not as holy as to give birth to the one as Holy as the son of God,I would only tag her as the luckiest of women. angry sad

go polish your english, then i'd consider replying your critics. Nairaland really need to start setting standards, this forum shouldn't be for just anybody!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

4 Major Things Ruining Young People Today / Atiku/Buhari: When You Lose Don't Go To Court, Go Home, Apostle Suleman / Mfm Prayer On Deliverance Of The Mind Prayer Points

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.