Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,772 members, 7,955,954 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 07:33 PM

Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc (3787 Views)

Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC / IBB Calls For Jihad Against Boko Haram - Bbc Hausa / Military Recaptured Damboa And Gwoza Hills From Boko Haram- Bbc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by AlfaSeltzer(m): 10:52am On Aug 26, 2014
4Play:

I agree that Nigerians - whether in Govt or not -are looking for simple solutions. However, this anecdote about a Nigerian asking for equipment that effectively reads minds sounds completely fabricated.

Really?
Coming from somebody who probably believes that he will live again after he dies.
Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by desgiezd(m): 10:52am On Aug 26, 2014
kolykoldy: Exactly a year after Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan declared a “state of emergency” in north-eastern Nigeria, it seems to have had little effect in curbing the Islamist insurgency.
Attacks by the Boko Haram group that provoked the move included an assault on a military barracks, detonating a bomb at a bus station in the northern city of Kano and the kidnap of a Frenchfamily, including four children, which grabbed the world’s attention.
The declaration would bring “extraordinary measures” to bear against the insurgents in order to “restore normalcy” to the region, the president said.
“The troops have orders to carry out all necessary actions within the ambit of their rules of engagement to put an end to the impunity of insurgents and terrorists,” President Jonathan said.
Now, after 12 months of state of emergency powers being in force, in the past few weeks Boko Haram has attacked several military bases, bombed a busy bus terminal in the capital, Abuja – twice – and launched an audacious kidnapping ofmorethan 200 schoolgirls from Chibok which has set the world on edge.
“When they declared it I thought it had to be tried,” says Habeeb Pindiga, editor of Nigeria’s Daily Trust newspaper, “but honestly it has not succeeded.”
In the year leading up to the state of emergency in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe state, there were 741 civilian death reported, according to data collected by the University of Sussex in the UK.
In the 12 months since the figure of civilian causalities has more than tripled to 2,265.
Mr Pindiga says the military has not dealt with big problems it faces.
Because of the military’s human rights record people do not trust them, plus they lack modern equipment, training andmotivation.
Attacks in the three states have increased since the emergency rule was brought in last year
Civilians do not trust the security forces deployed to the north-east
A UK military officer who has worked closely with the Nigerians says they are stuck in a Catch-22 situation.
“The trouble with the Nigerian government is that they want a big red button, which you can press and it will fix everything,” says James Hall, a retired colonel and former UK military attache to Nigeria.
I was asked by a senior commander if we could sell them the machine that can tell if a car driving down the road contains a terrorist,” he added.
“I tried to tell them that such a machine doesn’t exist, but then they just thought we were hiding it from them.

The UK is very wary in giving training assistance, and sales of better equipment are also problematic, he says..........
Source: BBC exclusive

How could the bolded be possibly true? I find it extremely difficult to believe. Our military may be facing serious challenges presently but they are not as bad as being painted here.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by AlfaSeltzer(m): 10:53am On Aug 26, 2014
desgiezd:

How could the bolded be possibly true? I find it extremely difficult to believe. Our military may be facing serious challenges presently but they are not as bad as being painted here.

It is true. It is also true that GEJ was a descendant of Noah. Don't you agree?
Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by Iluvberem: 10:59am On Aug 26, 2014
berem: this nonsense you just typed has nothing to do with the topic. I will not allow you derail this thread as you always do. undecided undecided

wink

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by Nobody: 11:05am On Aug 26, 2014
Iluvberem:

wink
undecided undecided undecided
Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by Iluvberem: 11:18am On Aug 26, 2014
berem: undecided undecided undecided

Whatsup love

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by Afroconnect: 11:20am On Aug 26, 2014
These British and Americans only care about their citizens nd Nation.

Let us tax their compnies in Nigeria heavily nd seek fir trade agreements...it is all man for himself but our Nation led by wasteful dumb leaders keep doing big brother.

These white people don't care if we all die,they are only after our resources...a bunch of drug addicted gangsters.
Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by Collynzo15: 11:23am On Aug 26, 2014
Arosa: I think it's time to invite the US to bring in the drones, just like in pakistan.
Let them dislodge ISIS in their Iraq first, then we will invite them
Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by Arosa(m): 11:35am On Aug 26, 2014
Collynzo15:
Let them dislodge ISIS in their Iraq first, then we will invite them

LOl, Nice reply. But on a serious note I do not think the US is interested in sending their drones to Nigeria. Unless there is another mutallab (successful) incident. And when that happens they don't need an invite to bring an end to Bokoharam. undecided
Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by EasternLeopard: 11:45am On Aug 26, 2014
tokunboh:

So tongue in cheek lol. You forgot to mention catapult. Boko Haram has been fighting NA mostly with weapons stolen from them. They are not more armed than the NA

Thank you for reminding me about catapults. I also forgot swords spears javelins etc

This video proves those who do claim that the FG are not equipping the military wrong

To me

someone just freely handover the armoury to BH

Imagine, the armoury was not destroyed neither were trackers installed

Annoying part is seeing only two soldiers

Where are other soldiers

Imagine an armoury not guarded with long range weapons

Imagine there were no snipers placed on that hill to take out BH technicals

The Commanding Officer needs to be shot

Someone is sabotaging war effort

Someone is trading NE security for money

Now I understand why Ihejirika was hated and opposed.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by ilenaira: 11:53am On Aug 26, 2014
kolykoldy: .....................“I was asked by a senior commander if we could sell them the machine that can tell if acardriving down the road contains a terrorist,” he added.
“I tried to tell them that such a machine doesn’t exist, but then they just thought we were hiding it from them.”.......

shocked shocked shocked

Oh .....

my .....

God !

The NA is fubar. undecided cry
Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by Arosa(m): 12:04pm On Aug 26, 2014
But the US have a machine/device like that. they have it on their helicopters jets and satellites.(they are classified) lipsrsealed
Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by ElFenomeno1: 12:06pm On Aug 26, 2014
Afroconnect: These British and Americans only care about their citizens nd Nation.

Let us tax their compnies in Nigeria heavily nd seek fir trade agreements...it is all man for himself but our Nation led by wasteful dumb leaders keep doing big brother.

These white people don't care if we all die,they are only after our resources...a bunch of drug addicted gangsters.

Why should they worry about other countries in the first instance?

Why cant you lot stand on your own twos?!

Did they start boko haram? Or was it started on their soil?!
Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by desirewhet(m): 12:12pm On Aug 26, 2014
kolykoldy: “The trouble with the Nigerian government is that they want a big red button, which you can press and it will fix everything,” says James Hall, a retired colonel and former UK military attache to Nigeria.
“I was asked by a senior commander if we could sell them the machine that can tell if a car driving down the road contains a terrorist,” he added.
“I tried to tell them that such a machine doesn’t exist, but then they just thought we were hiding it from them.”
The UK is very wary in giving training assistance, and sales of better equipment are also problematic, he says..........
Source: BBC exclusive

Lmao........imagine the way just one man is ridiculing a whole country! Buh Nigeria sef...do dey tink everytin is magic?
Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by Arosa(m): 12:15pm On Aug 26, 2014
desirewhet:

Lmao........imagine the way just one man is ridiculing a whole country! Buh Nigeria sef...do dey tink everytin is magic?

What do you think this part means?
The UK is very wary in giving training assistance, and sales of better equipment are also problematic, he says.........
lipsrsealed
Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by haywire07(m): 12:25pm On Aug 26, 2014
This is it...a commander or top officials of the NA in borno state or other affected states will see anyone complaining about terrorism as an enemy of progress. Theses top officials receive closely 1million naira everyday (I have my source). So how wld u expect terrorism to end in d country where corruption is what we shld b fighting. A footage wz released where these terrorists were jubilating after chasing d poor police outta their hood and that is a state where we hear that soldiers are frequently been discharged to. Wat stopped d military frm bombarding d area and .......... 4get boko haram will continue to exist except if corruption ends in d country and equally among the NA who even betrays themselves to death.
Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by jmaine: 12:32pm On Aug 26, 2014
EasternLeopard:

Thank you for reminding me about catapults. I also forgot swords spears javelins etc

This video proves those who do claim that the FG are not equipping the military wrong

To me

Where are other soldiers

You raised valid questions . .

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by Nobody: 12:33pm On Aug 26, 2014
Give the military good weapons and they'll fight terrorism well. They've voiced out their anger over lack of basic amenities in the military.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by desirewhet(m): 12:47pm On Aug 26, 2014
Arosa:

What do you think this part means? lipsrsealed

Hahahah!! Simply implies that we r not ready to combat d menace naa
Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by Nobody: 12:56pm On Aug 26, 2014
EasternLeopard:

To me

Where are other soldiers

I noticed that part of the video too bro, over 100 BH firing at 2 soldiers; what do people expect them to do? Fire back and kill all of them like Rambo, Commando or Jason Statham always do in movies? People have been watching action movies a lot, I will rather commend those two soldiers; for maneuvering their way through hail of bullets. Trust me, they are the real action heroes.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by Nobody: 1:03pm On Aug 26, 2014
"I was asked by a senior commander if we could sell them the machine that can tell if a car driving down the road contains a terrorist," he added. a quote from bbc

^^
Couldn't stop laughing at this part grin grin, if this true we have a big problem in Nigeria cry
Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by Arosa(m): 1:15pm On Aug 26, 2014
desirewhet:

Hahahah!! Simply implies that we r not ready to combat d menace naa
grin grin grin
Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by Ttalk: 1:25pm On Aug 26, 2014
“I was asked by a senior commander if we could sell them the machine that can tell if a car driving down the road contains a terrorist,” he added.
To me the idea by the army commander is not bad, what is bad is our dependency and inability to look out of the box.

What stop Nigerians from developing a chip and a software that can be fixed into mobile phones to detect bomb from a distance?

Why cant our so called intellectuals embark on research to simplified bomb detector machine into microchip, after all mainframe used to be the in-thing until Bill Gate and co started developing smaller ones?

Why cant Nigeria Military engineer embark on a new innovation that would bring about the solution to the problem of terrorism against mankind?

Why dont YOU think of something positive that can bring about the change we all desire?
Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by desirewhet(m): 1:31pm On Aug 26, 2014
Arosa: grin grin grin

What's ur view on it?
Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by folawiyoma(m): 1:52pm On Aug 26, 2014
EasternLeopard:

To me

Where are other soldiers

I agree with you.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by Arosa(m): 2:01pm On Aug 26, 2014
desirewhet:

What's ur view on it?

The truth is that they are reluctant in discussing or selling high tech equipments to Nigeria. And I do understand why.
Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by Nobody: 2:05pm On Aug 26, 2014
Ttalk: “I was asked by a senior commander if we could sell them the machine that can tell if a car driving down the road contains a terrorist,” he added.
To me the idea by the army commander is not bad, what is bad is our dependency and inability to look out of the box.

What stop Nigerians from developing a chip and a software that can be fixed into mobile phones to detect bomb from a distance?

Why cant our so called intellectuals embark on research to simplified bomb detector machine into microchip, after all mainframe used to be the in-thing until Bill Gate and co started developing smaller ones?

Why cant Nigeria Military engineer embark on a new innovation that would bring about the solution to the problem of terrorism against mankind?

Why dont YOU think of something positive that can bring about the change we all desire?

A country where the army don't have research labs or the university, what you expect. This things take planing and Nigeria is not ready for all this things. You see in america for example its easier to catch a terrorist becos everything is in place. The system already knw what to do to handle something like that, but in Nigeria we after what we would eat today, while the people in power think about their own family as they don't believe in the country, its going to be hard.
Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by eaglechild: 2:07pm On Aug 26, 2014
4Play:

I agree that Nigerians - whether in Govt or not -are looking for simple solutions. However, this anecdote about a Nigerian asking for equipment that effectively reads minds sounds completely fabricated.

It doesn't just sound fabricated it is belittling and incredibly stewpid.

The person perhaps was just trying to be sarcastic and the Brit swallowed everything.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by Nobody: 2:10pm On Aug 26, 2014
eaglechild:
It doesn't just sound fabricated it is belittling and incredibly stewpid.

The person perhaps was just trying to be sarcastic and the Brit swallowed everything.

i knw some Nigerians who would actually think like that, maybe he meant to track bombs in the car or person before detonation.. shey u get.
Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by eaglechild: 2:11pm On Aug 26, 2014
ikp4succes:

i knw some Nigerians who would actually think like that, maybe he meant to track bombs in the car or person before detonation.. shey u get.
OK
Maybe his choice of words conveyed a totally different meaning.
Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by Gayigaskia(m): 2:24pm On Aug 26, 2014
@Nigerians your commandant in chief is clueless and useless. I tell you Niger Republic or Chad could contain Boko Haram easily.
Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by Ttalk: 2:31pm On Aug 26, 2014
ikp4succes:

A country where the army don't have research labs or the university, what you expect. This things take planing and Nigeria is not ready for all this things. You see in america for example its easier to catch a terrorist becos everything is in place. The system already knw what to do to handle something like that, but in Nigeria we after what we would eat today, while the people in power think about their own family as they don't believe in the country, its going to be hard.

That is why we must all rise to change the present crops of leadership that is constituting a clog in the wheel of our development. It is high time we try the opposition to see what they have to offer, but alas, some Nigerians are so sycophantic singing praises of this PDP led federal government that has failed us since the dawn of this democratic dispensation

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

INEC List Of Shortlisted Candidates For Election Job Is Out / Biafra: Plateau DSS Invites Igbo Leader Over Protest In SE/SS. / SE & SS Will Be The Two Region Campaigning For Buhari In 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.