Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,813 members, 7,810,122 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:13 PM

Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc (3731 Views)

Nigerian Soldier: "We Are Using Old Tanks Since 1976 To Fight Boko Haram" - BBC / IBB Calls For Jihad Against Boko Haram - Bbc Hausa / Military Recaptured Damboa And Gwoza Hills From Boko Haram- Bbc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by Arosa(m): 2:32pm On Aug 26, 2014
Maybe this is what our senior commander was asking about: 'Infrared technology'. undecided

Thermal-infrared imaging is used extensively for military and civilian purposes. Military applications include target acquisition, surveillance, night vision, homing and tracking. Humans at normal body temperature radiate chiefly at wavelengths around 10 μm (micrometers).

Target Acquisition is the detection, identification, and location of a target in sufficient detail to permit the effective employment of lethal and non-lethal means. The term is used for a broad area of applications.
A "target" here is an entity or object considered for possible engagement or other action. Targets include a wide array of resources that an enemy commander can use to conduct operations including mobile and stationary units, forces, equipment, capabilities, facilities, persons and functions. It may comprise target acquisition,[1] Joint Targeting[2] or Information Operations.[3]
Technically target acquisition may just denote the process of a weapon system to decide which object to lock on to, as opposed to surveillance on one and target tracking on the other side; for example in an anti-aircraft system.
Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by Nobody: 2:42pm On Aug 26, 2014
I wonder if the general can help me get the machine that can tell me next week's lottery numbers. The pay is huge $30 million dollars.
Maybe the machine can also predict where shekau will strike next. Bunch of jokers.
Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by Nobody: 2:49pm On Aug 26, 2014
Ttalk:

That is why we must all rise to change the present crops of leadership that is constituting a clog in the wheel of our development. It is high time we try the opposition to see what they have to offer, but alas, some Nigerians are so sycophantic singing praises of this PDP led federal government that has failed us since the dawn of this democratic dispensation

Since in Nigeria we have all being brainwash by our parents, like "do not protest, only person wey don chop belleful can potest" or "don't worry god will punish them" or "do what you can and leave this shyt hole" its going to be really hard to raise Nigerians to protest. The only solution i think its for Fed govt to cease federal allocation budget to each state, so the state will now be responsible for creating their own income. The reason why i propose this, is because, state will be forced to charge higher taxes on both the rich and poor. When the citizens of each state don't see development they will be forced to protest. Right now they tax but its so little, you cant even used the money collected from a state right now to develop a road, and usually the fund don't get to the oga at the top, because they don't care as they recieve federal allocation. The moment there is no allocation they will be forced to account for every revenue in the state to survive. Trust me the taxes will be so high they will not dare not fixing that road if not Nigerians will cut of their head..

Another advantage is states will become competitive, and try to lure investors to one another there by creating opportunities for them self, also right now FG has so much responsibilities,if they do this all they have to do is sit down every month and collect federal taxes from the state. They will also slim down the huge expenditure used to run the govt and tackle real problems like federal roads, Federal police system e.g FBI, over haul of some certain departments like an internal affairs to monitor the state police..
Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by Litmus: 3:00pm On Aug 26, 2014
I was asked by a senior commander if we could sell them the machine that can tell if a car driving down the road contains a terrorist,” he added.“I tried to tell them that such a machine doesn’t exist, but then they just thought we were hiding it from them.”

In one form or another most Nigerians have the mindset of the Senior Commander highlighted - it is one of the reason we've come further than most African Nations and yet one of the reason we may destroy ourselves - we want a quick-fix solution to National problems, National problems, which are for the most part caused by the fact that we're a developing nation. We need to strive as we do but be kinder to ourselves, work harder and be patient. There are no quick-fix buttons.

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by Nobody: 3:31pm On Aug 26, 2014
Litmus:

In one form or another most Nigerians have the mindset of the Senior Commander highlighted - it is one of the reason we've come further than most African Nations and yet one of the reason we may destroy ourselves - we want a quick-fix solution to National problems, National problems, which are for the most part caused by the fact that we're a developing nation. We need to strive as we do but be kinder to ourselves, work harder and be patient. There are no quick-fix buttons.

who told you, there might be quick fix button some where grin grin
Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by deeobserver209(m): 4:48pm On Aug 26, 2014
tokunboh:

I noticed that part of the video too bro, over 100 BH firing at 2 soldiers; what do people expect them to do? Fire back and kill all of them like Rambo, Commando or Jason Statham always do in movies? People have been watching action movies a lot, I will rather commend those two soldiers; for maneuvering their way through hail of bullets. Trust me, they are the real action heroes.
Exactly. Lots of peeps here don't even know what it means for few brave soldiers to stand up to a dozen enemy fighters.
More grease to Nigerian Army!
Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by segend(m): 4:57pm On Aug 26, 2014
[quote author=ikp4succes]"I was asked by a senior commander if we could sell them the machine that can tell if a car driving down the road contains a terrorist," he added. a quote from bbc

Be like say the general just watched captain america (winter soldier).
Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by Nobody: 4:59pm On Aug 26, 2014
[quote author=segend][/quote]

hahahaha.. u knw say all those films na base on true stories ..u neva knw grin grin grin
Re: Why Nigeria Can't Handle Boko Haram...bbc by segend(m): 5:25pm On Aug 26, 2014
ikp4succes:

hahahaha.. u knw say all those films na base on true stories ..u neva knw grin grin grin

Lol...... grin
ikp4succes:

Lol......

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari On Bbc Hard Talk Interview / Screen And Confirm Me Or Return My Money - Amaechi / Anambra Election: Niger Delta Militants Storm Nnewi; Engages Security (firing)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.