Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,640 members, 7,813,129 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:33 AM

Cristiano Ronaldo Vs Messi Who Is Better - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Cristiano Ronaldo Vs Messi Who Is Better (176030 Views)

Between Ibra,Ronaldo And Messi Who has scored the most Spectacular Goals / Ronaldinho Vs Messi: Who Is Greatest?! / Mikel Obi, C.ronaldo, Fabregas And Messi. Who Is The Best? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Vs Messi Who Is Better by RuuDie(m): 11:00am On Jul 25, 2011
For y'all who keep referencing Argentina's lack of success and equating as yardstick for assessing the value, effectiveness of Messi ~ recall a certain George Opong Weah!!?
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Vs Messi Who Is Better by coogar: 11:30am On Jul 25, 2011
RuuDie:

For y'all who keep referencing Argentina's lack of success and equating as yardstick for assessing the value, effectiveness of Messi ~ recall a certain George Opong Weah!!?

so you think liberia = africa as argentina = south america?

argentina won the world cup twice before messi.
what did liberia win before george weah?

argentina is a footballing nation, liberia is not.
the analogy is incomparable!
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Vs Messi Who Is Better by RuuDie(m): 11:40am On Jul 25, 2011
coogar:

so you think liberia = africa as argentina = south america?

argentina won the world cup twice before messi.
what did liberia win before george weah?

argentina is a footballing nation, liberia is not.
the analogy is incomparable!

But how did Weah become WPOTY ~ by virtue of his performances for Liberia
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Vs Messi Who Is Better by coogar: 11:42am On Jul 25, 2011
RuuDie:

But how did Weah become WPOTY ~ by virtue of his performances for Liberia

nope! by virtue of his performances for ac milan. . . .

but that's besides the point. no one is arguing about messi's wpoty. . . . .the argument is if he can compare to pele, maradona, cryuff, etc
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Vs Messi Who Is Better by RuuDie(m): 11:55am On Jul 25, 2011
coogar:

nope! by virtue of his performances for ac milan. . . .

but that's besides the point. no one is arguing about messi's wpoty. . . . .the argument is if he can compare to pele, maradona, cryuff, etc

Definitely. . . . . .we all see the way he plays, the edge, the influence he weilds his team, thats all there is to know - not all the greats we constantly mention, won everything in football ~ but their importance to their teams, thats what made 'em the stand=outs in their respective teams!
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Vs Messi Who Is Better by coogar: 1:33pm On Jul 25, 2011
RuuDie:

Definitely. . . . . .we all see the way he plays, the edge, the influence he weilds his team, thats all there is to know - not all the greats we constantly mention, won everything in football ~ but their importance to their teams, thats what made 'em the stand=outs in their respective teams!

what made em stand outs in their respective teams is their importance and the hunger to win. . . . . .messi hasn't shown that for argentina.
maradona did
zidane did
fat ronaldo did
pele did.

i urge you to go and read maradona's years in napoli.
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Vs Messi Who Is Better by RuuDie(m): 1:54pm On Jul 25, 2011
coogar:

what made em stand outs in their respective teams is their importance and the hunger to win. . . . . .messi hasn't shown that for argentina.
maradona did
zidane did
fat ronaldo did
pele did.

i urge you to go and read maradona's years in napoli.

are u saying Messi isn't hungry for success to argentina or he isn't important to both barca & argentina!!?
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Vs Messi Who Is Better by dayokanu(m): 5:45pm On Jul 25, 2011
Coogar,

Would you hold Ronaldo Limas inability to win the Champions league or even play in a CL final against him?
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Vs Messi Who Is Better by coogar: 5:58pm On Jul 25, 2011
dayokanu:

Coogar,

Would you hold Ronaldo Limas inability to win the Champions league or even play in a CL final against him?

i wouldn't cos he won in europe(not necessarily elite europe) but he won titles in every team he played.
messi is yet to win in the argentina shirt. that's the difference!
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Vs Messi Who Is Better by dayokanu(m): 6:11pm On Jul 25, 2011
Messi also won in Argentina (Youth tournaments) just not in Elite Argentina (National team).

Bottom line was that Ronaldo was unable to win the biggest Club cup competition in Europe despite playing in Europe for most of his career

Every club competes for about 3-4 cups a season, national teams compete maximum of 3 times in 4 yrs.
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Vs Messi Who Is Better by coogar: 6:14pm On Jul 25, 2011
dayokanu:

Messi also won in Argentina (Youth tournaments) just not in Elite Argentina (National team).

Bottom line was that Ronaldo was unable to win the biggest Club cup competition in Europe despite playing in Europe for most of his career

Every club competes for about 3-4 cups a season, national teams compete maximum of 3 times in 4 yrs.

youth tournament na competition? in that wise. . . . .victor igbinoba is better than rooney.
abeg, stop all those youth tournament bullshyte. . . . .by argentina, i mean the national team. . . .senior national team. competitions like copa america and the world cup or fifa confederations cup(that's 3 massive competitions that have evaded messi).
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Vs Messi Who Is Better by dayokanu(m): 6:22pm On Jul 25, 2011
coogar:

youth tournament na competition? in that wise. . . . .victor igbinoba is better than rooney.
abeg, stop all those youth tournament bullshyte. . . . .by argentina, i mean the national team. . . .senior national team. competitions like copa america and the world cup or fifa confederations cup(that's 3 massive competitions that have evaded messi).

Ronaldo won UEFA cup and Copa Italia with Inter Milan never won the league nor the CL.

He won the League and Winners cup with Barcelona

All those tournaments are inferior to the CL which he never won

In his whole career which spanned over a decade he won 1 league title, and 0 CL playing for top teams like Barcelona, Madrid, AC Milan, Inter Milan

That alone should challenge his legend status going by your analogy
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Vs Messi Who Is Better by ritchboy(m): 7:21pm On Jul 25, 2011
Coogar is taking the piss. . . If Messi's credentials are being questioned because he hasn't won the World Cup @ 24, Ronaldo who is retired should be considered a nonentity for his abysmal record at FOUR top European clubs.
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Vs Messi Who Is Better by ritchboy(m): 7:26pm On Jul 25, 2011
I like Cesar Luis Menotti's comment on the issue.

I think there have been four kings of football and the fifth has not yet appeared. Di Stéfano, Pelé, Cruyff and Maradona. Now we are waiting for the fifth, who might be Messi, or at the moment, might not be anybody. He’s the closest. But we can’t give him the crown for at least five years. To give Messi the crown, we would have to see him outside of Barcelona, doing what Maradona did at Napoli. That team was a band that he converted into an orchestra. Messi is a treasure, a marvelous thing, but we’ll have to see what happens. He doesn’t have to demonstrate anything to be the best in the world [of his time]. But he’s missing one more step to be the best. I don’t doubt that he could claim the crown of the fifth king, but not yet. However, do you know what’s even better?

That Messi learns. Before, every time he got the ball, he would think about how to win the game. No longer. He has evolved. That’s how you notice the touch of the master.

Menotti must be having a laugh. If Di Stefano and Cruyff are "kings", Messi is a god.
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Vs Messi Who Is Better by dayokanu(m): 7:28pm On Jul 25, 2011
Cryuff deserves that position, Not sure of Di Stefano though
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Vs Messi Who Is Better by ritchboy(m): 7:50pm On Jul 25, 2011
Of all the players i never watched live, Cryuff is easily my favorite.
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Vs Messi Who Is Better by coogar: 7:51pm On Jul 25, 2011
ritchboy:

Coogar is taking the piss. . . If Messi's credentials are being questioned because he hasn't won the World Cup @ 24, Ronaldo who is retired should be considered a nonentity for his abysmal record at FOUR top European clubs.

i laugh in boko haram. you sound like the world cup is every year. . . . . by the time the next world cup comes around, messi would be 27. the same age as sneijder that pundits are saying he's too old to invest in.

ronaldo's injuries are a big excuse. . . . .he won league titles with barcelona, psv, corinthians, real madrid. . . .won european cup with inter milan. won copa america for brazil multiple times and won the world cup in 2002. the number of teams he's played and won shows he does not depend on any player to shine.

legend has it that messi has done nothing outside barcelona? true or false!! grin cheesy
please don't brandish any age-grade competition or the olympics. . . . .the big boys don't feature there.
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Vs Messi Who Is Better by ritchboy(m): 8:28pm On Jul 25, 2011
i laugh in boko haram. you sound like the world cup is every year. . . . . by the time the next world cup comes around, messi would be 27. the same age as sneijder that pundits are saying he's too old to invest in

Messi still has at least two more World Cups to compete in. Ronaldo RETIRED with ZERO UCL!

ronaldo's injuries are a big excuse. . . . .he won league titles with barcelona, psv, corinthians, real madrid. . . .won european cup with inter milan.

Hehehe, Ronaldo's record is so poor you had to add non-existent league titles with PSV & Barca grin grin

"European Cup" = Europa League, i dey grin grin grin grin grin

legend has it that messi has done nothing outside barcelona? true or false!! grin cheesy

Olympic gold medalist!

please don't brandish any age-grade competition or the olympics. . . . .the big boys don't feature there.

Yeah, the big boys like Ronaldo feature in Europa League! cheesy
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Vs Messi Who Is Better by coogar: 8:44pm On Jul 25, 2011
ritchboy:

Messi still has at least two more World Cups to compete in. Ronaldo RETIRED with ZERO UCL!

it's not about the ucl. . . . .it's about playing in different teams and doing well there.
i asked. . . has messi won anything outside barcelona?

Hehehe, Ronaldo's record is so poor you had to add non-existent league titles with PSV & Barca grin grin
"European Cup" = Europa League, i dey grin grin grin grin grin

european cup is european cup. . . . .you might need to check the quality of teams inter trounced to win it.

Olympic gold medalist!

still an age-grade competition. under 23 but they are allowed to take few senior players in the team but still a youth competition.

Yeah, the big boys like Ronaldo feature in Europa League! cheesy

who hasn't played there? i hope you know the champions league format was different when ronaldo was at his peak(96-2000). in those days, na quality teams they play europa league not these days when england have 4-5 teams in the ucl, spain have 4, etc. back then. . .the quota was different. chelsea(days of vialli, zola, etc) were europa league regulars. abeg, check the history!
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Vs Messi Who Is Better by RuuDie(m): 10:57pm On Jul 25, 2011
What Messi has or has not won; where he has played or has not played is not the issue here. . . . . . . . .what he does with the ball is at his feet is all the evidence of his quality!
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Vs Messi Who Is Better by RuuDie(m): 11:00pm On Jul 25, 2011
By saying Messi should go outside Barca is almost akin to saying SAF, AW should repeat their achievements outside their present forts before they can be considered in the lights of the 'greats' ~ ridiculous!
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Vs Messi Who Is Better by dayokanu(m): 11:09pm On Jul 25, 2011
RuuDie:

By saying Messi should go outside Barca is almost akin to saying SAF, AW should repeat their achievements outside their present forts before they can be considered in the lights of the 'greats' ~ ridiculous!

SAF = Aberdeen

Wenger, Achievement in the same sentence? I'm confuzzled
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Vs Messi Who Is Better by coogar: 11:31pm On Jul 25, 2011
RuuDie:

dayo already replied you so no need to even debate any further. . . .
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Vs Messi Who Is Better by dayokanu(m): 11:44pm On Jul 25, 2011
coogar:

it's not about the ucl. . . . .it's about playing in different teams and doing well there.
i asked. . . has messi won anything outside barcelona?

european cup is european cup. . . . .you might need to check the quality of teams inter trounced to win it.

still an age-grade competition. under 23 but they are allowed to take few senior players in the team but still a youth competition.

who hasn't played there? i hope you know the champions league format was different when ronaldo was at his peak(96-2000). in those days, na quality teams they play europa league not these days when england have 4-5 teams in the ucl, spain have 4, etc. back then. . .the quota was different. chelsea(days of vialli, zola, etc) were europa league regulars. abeg, check the history!

Messi has not won anything outside barcelona because he hasnt played outside Barcelona, Has Mourinho won Outside Europe?

European cup is NOT European cup there is the CL which top teams play there is the UEFA cup with second rate teams play and there is the Winners cup which lesser teams play.

Ronaldo Lima never won the CL despite playing in it, He won just 1 league title despite playing over a decade in Europe. Even the famous Inter Milan collapse of 2002 where Ronaldo froze on the last day and ruined all Hector Cupers efforts for the season?

Obama slept in Accra does not make it a first world country.

Chelsea played in it when Chelsea was a substandard team
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Vs Messi Who Is Better by coogar: 12:08am On Jul 26, 2011
dayokanu:

Messi has not won anything outside barcelona because he hasnt played outside Barcelona, Has Mourinho won Outside Europe?

yes, messi has never played outside barcelona. . . . .argentina is in camp nou, isn't it?
mourinho has won with porto, chelsea, inter milan and real madrid.
no one would say jose won titles because of deco/carvalho. . . .drogba/terry. . . .sneijder/lucio. . . .cristiano/ozil
jose is the only connection point with all the great players i have listed here. . . . .with messi, the moment you take out xavi and iniesta. . . .messi is as ordinary as dean windass. . . . .

European cup is NOT European cup there is the CL which top teams play there is the UEFA cup with second rate teams play and there is the Winners cup which lesser teams play.

european cup is european cup. . . . .the object is to win whatever competition you find yourself in europe. . . .good teams play in the inferior european competitions. . . .when fergie won european cup with aberdeen, he thrashed bayern munich and real madrid to win it. . . . liverpool did not beat 2 teams of this quality in their 5 european victories in elite europe. . . . .so what do you mean european cup isn't european cup?

Ronaldo Lima never won the CL despite playing in it, He won just 1 league title despite playing over a decade in Europe. Even the famous Inter Milan collapse of 2002 where Ronaldo froze on the last day and ruined all Hector Cupers efforts for the season?

he never had a stretch to win it. . . . .firstly, he changed clubs too often and secondly he was frequently injured. at the peak of his powers, he was on the bench. between 99 and 2002, ronaldo only appeared 5 times in european competitions, how do you win a competition you didn't play in through injuries. . . . .it's like saying hargreaves hasn't won as many titles as carrick. . . . .

Obama slept in Accra does not make it a first world country.

how does obama fit into this debate for feck sake?

Chelsea played in it when Chelsea was a substandard team

substandard? lol
were bayern munich substandard when they played it in 83. . . .the same bayern that had won thrice in elite europe before then?
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Vs Messi Who Is Better by Nobody: 7:55am On Jul 26, 2011
Coogar,
which football club do u support ? For it is abundantly obvious that u and ur beloved club has suffered deeply under Messi's genius. It gives u an excellent consolation to talk about his failures with Argentina.
U have chosen to ignore the importance of coaches to team's success. Argentina has not gotten a good coach. Just yesterday, they sacked Baptista. Who knows who they will get again.
I am sure u know all the facts at ur fingertips. Tell me which of these legends that had a bad coach.
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Vs Messi Who Is Better by ritchboy(m): 11:24am On Jul 26, 2011
Johnpaul88:

Coogar,
which football club do u support ? For it is abundantly obvious that u and your beloved club has suffered deeply under Messi's genius. It gives u an excellent consolation to talk about his failures with Argentina.

Messi has done in Coogar's beloved club two finals in a row. . . He is a wounded animal grin grin
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Vs Messi Who Is Better by usbcable(m): 11:53am On Jul 26, 2011
Johnpaul88:

Coogar,
which football club do u support ? For it is abundantly obvious that u and your beloved club has suffered deeply under Messi's genius. It gives u an excellent consolation to talk about his failures with Argentina.
U have chosen to ignore the importance of coaches to team's success. Argentina has not gotten a good coach. Just yesterday, they sacked Baptista. Who knows who they will get again.
I am sure u know all the facts at your fingertips. Tell me which of these legends that had a bad coach.

you too don succumb abi? grin grin grin
chai, one man champion squad be coogar.
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Vs Messi Who Is Better by scantee(m): 11:53am On Jul 26, 2011
Mohammad Ethar(madrid fan)

Yesterday , I read a statement said by Ronaldo which said : ''I cannot compete with Lionel Messi '' And from that moment on , the pathetic and disgusting comments started to appear . One fan says Messi is better , the other says ''no, Ronaldo is'' and I am really sick of this continuous and never-ending argument about who's the better player so I've decided to put a logical end for this thing , once and for all by speaking from from a neutral point of view .

Well, I think that almost everyone realizes that Messi is the player with better ball-control,vision, and accuracy . So those terrific features combined with Barcelona's marvelous players make him an extremely deadly player .So yes I am saying that Xavi,Iniesta , and Alves help Messi a lot in order for him to shine . But no , I am not saying that Messi will fail in any other team so please don't get me wrong .

Now , it's Ronaldo's turn . Many people say that Messi gets much much more help from his teammates than Ronaldo do and that Messi always played in a squad that is superior to any squad Ronaldo took part in . Well, sorry to disappoint you but no ,
this is completely untrue because if we took a thorough look at the players Ronaldo played with , we can see that he played with the likes of GIGGS , Scholes( Xavi's Idol),Evra, and Carrick . And now he plays with an even better squad , a squad that includes Ozil ( next Zidane), Marcelo ,Ramos , Di Maria , Xabi Alonso ,Lass Diara and least but not last Benzema . And if you ask me , Ronaldo gets a big deal of help compared to the one received by Messi . All what I want to say is that they are 2 different players with different characters and playstyles so it would be truly unjust to compare them to each other .

The conclusion is that Messi is a naturally talented player with splendid dribbling ability and exceptional vision skills while Ronaldo is a top-notch athlete who has good footballing skills but would absolutely fail if it wasn't for his miraculous athletic ability.

The better football player ( naturally talented ) : definitively Messi

The better athlete with great determination and drive : definitively Ronaldo

[b]My choice would be Messi [/b]because I am choosing a football player not an olympics participant ( Ronaldo has superb physique and is 100 % fat-free but no natural raw talent )
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Vs Messi Who Is Better by medjai(m): 12:15pm On Jul 26, 2011
The difference between Messi's and Maradona's performance for country is simply trophies. As far as performances go, we can hardly fault Messi's performance for Argentina.
Two assits at the world cup. Everything positive for Argentina, Messi had a hand in it.
At the Copa, he was Argentina's best player. He has been single-handedly carrying Argentina on his back same way Maradona did.
He doesn't score as much goals for Argentina as he does for Barcelona but then, he plays as a trequartista for country, very different role from what he plays for club.
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Vs Messi Who Is Better by montelik(m): 3:14pm On Jul 26, 2011
scantee:

Now , it's Ronaldo's turn . Many people say that Messi gets much much more help from his teammates than Ronaldo do and that Messi always played in a squad that is superior to any squad Ronaldo took part in . Well,  sorry to disappoint you but no ,
this is completely untrue because if we took a thorough look at the players Ronaldo played with , we can see that he played with the likes of GIGGS , Scholes( Xavi's Idol),Evra, and Carrick . And now he plays with an even better squad , a squad that includes Ozil ( next Zidane), Marcelo ,Ramos , Di Maria , Xabi Alonso ,Lass Diara and least but not last Benzema . And if you ask me , Ronaldo gets a big deal of help compared to the one received by Messi . All what I want to say is that they are 2 different players with different characters and playstyles so it would be truly unjust to compare them to each other .

Abeg which type "paraga" anaylsis is this. If you prefer Messi just say so, no need to write story. Ozil is d next Zidane. 

And then there is this
scantee:

The conclusion is that Messi is a naturally talented player with splendid dribbling ability and exceptional vision skills while Ronaldo is a top-notch athlete who has good footballing skills but would absolutely fail if it wasn't for his miraculous athletic ability.

My choice would be Messi because I am choosing a football player not an olympics participant ( Ronaldo has superb physique and is 100 % fat-free but no natural raw talent )

So Messi is not athletic. See d way d guy made Messi sound like Le tissier. If not for his low center of gravity, "brick house" legs and impressive physique for a small player, I wonder how he would dance past d opposition and ride so many challenges. Would he not look less phenomenal as well. Both are great athletes, no need to exaggerate d difference btwn them. Of course Ronaldo has more athletic features, but it ain't like Messi is devoid of them himself. I won't even start on CR7 has "no natural raw talent". That statement is just plain dull.
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Vs Messi Who Is Better by coogar: 3:20pm On Jul 26, 2011
scantee:

Yesterday , I read a statement said by Ronaldo which said : ''I cannot compete with Lionel Messi '' And from that moment on , the pathetic and disgusting comments started to appear . One fan says Messi is better , the other says ''no, Ronaldo is'' and I am really sick of this continuous and never-ending argument about who's the better player so I've decided to put a logical end for this thing , once and for all by speaking from from a neutral point of view .

Well,  I think that almost everyone realizes that Messi is the player with better ball-control,vision, and accuracy . So those terrific features combined with Barcelona's marvelous players make him an extremely deadly player .So yes I am saying that Xavi,Iniesta , and Alves help Messi a lot in order for him to shine . But no , I am not saying that Messi will fail in any other team so please don't get me wrong .

Now , it's Ronaldo's turn . Many people say that Messi gets much much more help from his teammates than Ronaldo do and that Messi always played in a squad that is superior to any squad Ronaldo took part in . Well,  sorry to disappoint you but no ,

[b]My choice would be Messi [/b]because I am choosing a football player not an olympics participant ( Ronaldo has superb physique and is 100 % fat-free but no natural raw talent )

the person who wrote this is a buffoon. . . . .carrick, giggs and evra compared to xavi & iniesta(2 players who have been together for more than 10 years and play in the same team all the time)?  there's no basis for comparison until ronaldo plays for barcelona in messi's position. . . .not only that(there has to be a time machine that rewinds the clock and make ronaldo, xavi and iniesta play in the academy before graduating into the senior team). . . . .until then, comparing ronaldo(a nomad who hops from one club to another and playing with new teammates) to messi who is far more settled with his team-mates(who happen to be the best in the world) is tedious!

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (18) (Reply)

Liverpool FC Fan Zone: Champions of England / Paris Saint-gemain FC Fan Thread: Les Rouge-et-bleu..."Revons plus grand" / Chelsea Fans: Identify Yourselves Here (Old)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.