Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,185 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:25 AM

10 Things You Should Know Before Going Into A Long-term Relationship - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / 10 Things You Should Know Before Going Into A Long-term Relationship (758 Views)

13 Facts you must know Before You Say I Do To That Man. / Is It Okay For Married Couples To Make Love Before Going To Church? / 10 Things Most Girls Do When Going To Meet Their Boyfriends (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

10 Things You Should Know Before Going Into A Long-term Relationship by Wolison(m): 6:32am On Aug 29, 2014
To a lot of people, maintaining a long-term relationship is a source of unparalleled fulfillment. Why else would all these popular online dating services use their member success stories as marketing material? Even Tinder, which is generally perceived as a hook-up app, uses the idea of two people connecting at a heightened emotional level in their ‘It Starts Here’ video, in which the “it” is most definitely a meaningful relationship.
It’s no question that one of the best feelings we’ve ever experienced has been that of love for another person, all the while knowing that that love is being returned tenfold.
So why do some of us never find that kind of love? Why are some of us afraid of finding it? Or why do some of us who found it fall out of it? I think it’s obvious that it’s all in where we’re positioned emotionally, intellectually and sexually, which is something you can keep in mind when reading this.
Now, I’m not here to tell you exactly what kind of person you need to be; you’re whoever you already are. Moreover, I don’t consider myself to be an expert at relationships; I’ve only had two I’d consider to be long term (1 year and 3 years). This list is simply a collection of things I always tried to keep in mind, and I feel like they’re gender neutral enough to share with everyone.
Depending on where you’re at, maybe it’ll help you see things differently.
10. BE READY FOR A RELATIONSHIP
Every element on this list is important to me, except this one is the only one that, if forgotten or ignored, can lead to tragedy before the beginning of anything.
Take the time (a couple of minutes, not a millennia) to assess how you feel about the person that you’re seeing and, most importantly, how they make you feel about the past, present and future.
You know you’re ready if the past feels like it’s long gone, and all you can think about is how good you feel right now and how amazing things are gonna be.
9. NEVER MAKE YOUR NEXT PAY FOR YOUR EX
This was the best advice ever given to me.
After my first girlfriend decided to leave me, I was an inconsolable mess. I just couldn’t understand why, after all that I’d given to her and all that I had put up with, she could just leave me for some guy who was supposed to be “just as good as her brother.”
If my friend hadn’t told me this, I truly feel like I would have brought some major trust issues and anxiety into my next long-term relationship.
Seriously, leave all your baggage at the door and remember that each partner is different from the other. Don’t make them walk on eggshells from the get-go.
8. BE HONEST ABOUT EVERYTHING
This is an absolute no brainer.
If the relationship is going to develop into anything meaningful, your partner will have become your best-friend and confidant. Therefore, anything relevant to what you guys have together (which is pretty much everything) needs to be on the table.
Do I need to elaborate on this?
I shouldn’t, because trust is the mortar that holds every relationship together.
7. GIVE IT YOUR ALL
Anybody who’s been in a serious relationship will tell you that it’s a lot of work, which isn’t a bad thing; considering anything that’s worth holding on to requires a monumental amount of work.
Sometimes you’re going to need to go far out of your way to get something done for them, and you should be able to do this without thinking about it.
In fact, I think you should enjoy doing it.
6. REMEMBER WHAT YOU WANT OUT OF YOUR LIFE
You’re nothing without your dreams and aspirations.
Absolutely nothing.
Always stay focused on self-improvement and attempt to strike a balance while doing so. If you find yourself way off-balance while trying, like I did a year ago, then something is critically wrong with you or where you feel you are in life.
Moreover, you should be constantly building towards each others goals, instead of repeatedly restructuring them. If you’re unhappy with the way your life is turning out, it’s going to seep into the relationship and test it.
5. IT’S ABOUT THE LITTLE THINGS, NOT THE BIG THINGS
Grandiose acts of love and compassion (like expensive nights out, followed with ice skating or some other shit) are awesome, but the level of planning involved in bringing them to realization make them fabricated.
It’s the little things that you do every day, be it the way you pass your fingers through their hair or the way you slice their sandwiches, that truly matter.
A dozen tiny things you do a day far outweigh the three big things you do a year.
4. ALWAYS LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING EACH OTHER
Let’s say its been a year since you started dating; it’s safe to say that you’re in a relationship because you couldn’t stop seeing each other when you started out. That excitement should never go away and every moment you look at them needs to fill you with an insurmountable amount of joy.
Everything you do with them needs to feel like the best thing ever.
3. WHEN ARGUING, IT’S NEVER ABOUT WHO’S RIGHT
Arguments will happen. If they aren’t, then there may be an unhealthy amount of repression going on or you’re in the most boring relationship on the planet.
The thing that people forget is that when they do happen, it’s rarely about proving the other person wrong or dishing out some form of punishment; it’s about finding out what’s wrong and fixing it.
And once it’s fixed? Well, then comes the most important part of any argument, forgiving (depending on the situation) and forgetting.
If you’re a healthy couple, you’ll argue about something else that’s dumb a couple of weeks later and end up hugging and/or kissing five minutes into it.
2. ACCEPT CHANGE
You’ll both change. Everyone changes.
It’s really important that you both accept each other as you transition into better, more experienced versions of yourselves. Stronger couples will work through any differences they’ve acquired and focus on the more positive things they bring to the relationship, as well as the goals they’ve set out for themselves and each other.
This doesn’t mean that couples that can’t accept each others changes are weaker. You both need to look out for your own interests as individuals and if you don’t see eye to eye on the future, well then…
1. KNOW WHEN TO LET GO
You know that feeling. Anyone who’s been in a break-up has felt it; this inexplicable feeling of foreboding, days, weeks and sometimes months beforehand.
Holding on to a relationship that has run its course is disastrous. You risk ending it (and I assure you, it will end) with nothing but feelings of resentment, betrayal and hopelessness.
Contrary to what people like to believe, mutual break-ups exist and, from my experience, they involve a bottle of wine, lots of hugging and constant thanks for the years leading up to them.
I’m not saying these kinds of break-ups are easy. You know, I’d even go so far as saying that they end up being a little bit more challenging to deal with. You’ll find yourself wondering, “Did we give up to soon?” or “Things were so good between us, if only we tried a little harder…” Shit like that can lead to sleepless nights and depressing days.
So how do you remedy any kind of pain resulting from a break-up?
Focus on the things that make you happy and try to remind yourself that events of the past are lessons for the present and preparation for the future.
If you can remember that:
Your next is going to be thebest.
If you appreciated this, feel free to hit the like button and share this with your followers. Hey, you could even follow me. I’d loveyou for it.
Thanks!!
Facebook.com/austinasa1
Twitter@JoeArmsD1
Re: 10 Things You Should Know Before Going Into A Long-term Relationship by amatae12: 6:35am On Aug 29, 2014
With two in every troika people in our experience wise obesity or weighty, it is no contemplate why so such aid -and headache - is remunerated to our ever-expanding waistlines. But for the one-in-three grouping who pin into the 'well weight' category, don't anticipate you are automatically safe and sensible because you don't materialise to be obesity.
LifeForce T-Boost
New studies impart that inner fat close starring essential organs suchlike the ticker, and liver - imperceptible to the nude eye - could be as risky as the solon provable extrinsic fat that bulges underneath the pare in adiposis fill. According to the assemblage, people who affirm their weight through diet kinda than utilize are apt to hit great deposits of intimate fat, flush if they are otherwise turn.
LifeForce T-Boost
These overmuch admired small fill hump been institute to be hiding fat inside their bodies and that undetected fat can be every bit as gangrenous and persuade the synoptic eudaemonia risks as if it were bulging over their belts. Experts acquire abundant acknowledged that stoutness, gymnastic fill actually can be healthier than their skinny, dark and sedentary counterparts.

It is now taken grouping can soothe be of 'regular' weight and do not eat sufficiency overall to turn fleshiness but their diets can be prefab up of too umpteen full fat and drunk sweetener foods. If they are not highly hyperactive or accomplish a uniform employ syllabus they are not combustion off the spare calories as vigour so it can be stored region the embody comely a ticking indication fae.
http://lifeforcetboostadvice.com/

(1) (Reply)

How to woo This Fish please help!!!! Tenk / The Way Ladies Position Themselves When They See A Big Car In The Neighborhood / Am A Guy, And I Believe Money Is Important In A Relationship. What's Your Take?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.