Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,416 members, 7,812,227 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:21 AM

True Life Story: My Ordeal With An Alien/Demon/Witch - Nairaland / General (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / True Life Story: My Ordeal With An Alien/Demon/Witch (46512 Views)

Photo:an Alien Creature Found In Namibia. / My Ordeal With Nigeria Immigration Officers / The Roswell UFO Was An Alien Spaceship: Ex-CIA Agent Says! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: True Life Story: My Ordeal With An Alien/Demon/Witch by Leetunechi: 2:43pm On Aug 30, 2014
I dont see this as a nightmare or any spiritual attack

When i was barely 11yrs..this sleep paralysis was a frequent..then i usaually dream of segun arenze /no offence/ .i just see my self laying helpless on bed..at times,seems like people coming and going out of the room.but they are unable to hear my cry for help ..well i quess is normal anyway..cause i dont usually experience this sleep paralysis at night..broadday light ! shocked shocked

i do experience it now.but not as frequent as befor tho..and not also terifying grin grin ..just laying down on bed paralised undecided

1 Like

Re: True Life Story: My Ordeal With An Alien/Demon/Witch by davidif: 2:44pm On Aug 30, 2014
new2020:

Listen very carefully. This has happened to me more than 50 times from 17 to 27. When I was in Nigeria I used to assume like you it was a demon or something. However, after I left the country( back now) It kept happening in far away Australia; so I knew something wasn't right. So I discussed it with my personal physician casually, he immediately told me it was a type of seizure and requested I see a neurologist. Listen to me very carefully, this is not witchcraft or demon, is a medical condition. I experienced exactly 100% of what you experienced...struggling to wake up but you can't, like somebody is restraining you, you can't breath, you keep struggling until you finally wake up. When you do, you feel all exhausted and scared to go back to sleep. My was almost twice a week. Long story short, I began taking anti-seizure/anti-convulsant medication, exercising more frequently for better blood flow to the brain which stopped it. If ever it does happen is like once in 4 months but doesn't bother me. So, go and see a neurologist to prescribe you anti seizure medication. I can't believe I could ever find someone who will replicate the same thing that happened to me. It's unfortunate that we always attribute everything to witchcraft and demon.

So how do you explain the figure he saw? you are just going to discount that? I mean the guy said that he still felt the pain while typing the story and here you are saying its something else. Agreed that his situation looks a little similar to what you went through but its not exactly the same.
Re: True Life Story: My Ordeal With An Alien/Demon/Witch by padeolu: 2:45pm On Aug 30, 2014
priscaoge:
Of course prayers helped me a lot. For the fear of not having a nightmare again,I won't sleep alone in my room. But my Mum told me to stop giving d devil credit that instead I should pray. Read Psalm 68,91,121.
ok.. Thanks a lot sis

2 Likes

Re: True Life Story: My Ordeal With An Alien/Demon/Witch by IamSimi(m): 2:46pm On Aug 30, 2014
hmm,nxt tym b4 u pray jst end ur prayer with fire.. I bet you any witch,demon or freak dat cum dat 9t ehh,if dm no die .. Jesus is nt LORD
Re: True Life Story: My Ordeal With An Alien/Demon/Witch by Nobody: 2:46pm On Aug 30, 2014
HezronLorraine: Am lost for words.

I've had spiritual attacks as such in the past.It was a demon,it usually to suppress you in your sleep,make you lifeless,it won't kill you,but at that moment,you'll be held down while your spirit would be fighting for the physical to be let loose.

You should pray,the demon would be back,even the most powerful christians have encountered it.

You are right,it is usually fat,short legs,Long hands,the fingers are all closed with skin,it appears to have scales or talons,on it head,is spikes all over.It talks to.There was a time I fasted about it,it came that afternoon,I felt uneasy,like I knew it was there and I heard footsteps,then it said in yoruba,that I've been empowered,it should take its leave.

I've experienced it before,it is not a make believe story.I haven't encountered it in three months or so.
_

Dafuq?

1 Like

Re: True Life Story: My Ordeal With An Alien/Demon/Witch by padeolu: 2:48pm On Aug 30, 2014
Ishilove:
No it isn't. True and genuine repentance is the way forward. You say you are bornagain yet you see nothing wrong in watching po:rn:ography and m:a:sturbation. You have to remove everything that will act as an open door to satanic attacks in your life.
Can I do the bolded myself or I have to go see a pastor? Thanks so much ma, I will consider the advice and make amends
Re: True Life Story: My Ordeal With An Alien/Demon/Witch by Dstarst(f): 2:49pm On Aug 30, 2014
Did I hear u say heat, wot part of country re u? Or re u in maiduguri?
Re: True Life Story: My Ordeal With An Alien/Demon/Witch by Nobody: 2:50pm On Aug 30, 2014
HezronLorraine: It spoke and I heard it say in yoruba,"Oti gba agbara,i o le duro shiseyi".I was in a fast that afternoon when it came.

Last it happened was three months ago,but I felt its presence and screamed Blood of Jesus.

Hello.

Plzzzz can you interpret the statement made in yoruba? Thanks...
Re: True Life Story: My Ordeal With An Alien/Demon/Witch by Nobody: 2:50pm On Aug 30, 2014
davidif:

So how do you explain the figure he saw? you are just going to discount that? I mean the guy said that he still felt the pain while typing the story and here you are saying its something else. Agreed that his situation looks a little similar to what you went through but its not exactly the same.

The figure he saw I believe I read it correctly was in the first part...the dream. The second part was when I think was the seizure. "He still felt the pain while typing the story" that's what I mean by being exhausted afterwards.
Re: True Life Story: My Ordeal With An Alien/Demon/Witch by padeolu: 2:51pm On Aug 30, 2014
davidif:

padeolu,
Please watch this video. Its extremely important o. I guess you would get your answers here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2YUaeyditU
Thanks a lot sir. I'll see the video now.
Re: True Life Story: My Ordeal With An Alien/Demon/Witch by Nobody: 2:51pm On Aug 30, 2014
[size=18pt]Sleep paralysis[/size] is a phenomenon in which a person, either when falling asleep or awakening, temporarily experiences an inability to move. It is a transitional state between wakefulness and sleep characterized by complete muscle atonia (muscle weakness). It is often associated with terrifying visions, such as an intruder in the room, to which one is unable to react due to paralysis, from which the term "nightmare" is derived. One theory is that it results from disrupted REM sleep, which is normally characterized by complete muscle atonia to prevent the sleeper from acting out his or her dreams. Sleep paralysis has been linked to disorders such as narcolepsy, migraines, anxiety disorders, and obstructive sleep apnea; however, it can also occur in isolation.[1][2] When linked to another disorder, sleep paralysis commonly occurs in association with the neurological sleep disorder narcolepsy.[2]

Many people who experience sleep paralysis are struck with a deep sense of terror when they sense a menacing presence in the room while paralyzed—hereafter referred to as the intruder. A neurological interpretation of this phenomenon is that it results from a hyper-vigilant state created in the midbrain.[9] More specifically, the emergency response is activated in the brain when individuals wake up paralyzed and feel vulnerable to attack.[10] This helplessness can intensify the effects of the threat response well above the level typical of normal dreams, which could explain why such visions during sleep paralysis are so vivid.[10] Normally the threat-activated vigilance system is a protective mechanism to differentiate between dangerous situations and to determine whether the fear response is appropriate.[10] Some hypothesize that the threat vigilance system is evolutionarily biased to interpret ambiguous stimuli as dangerous, because "erring on the side of caution" increases survival chances.[10] This hypothesis could account for why the threatening presence is perceived as being evil.[10]

A similar process may explain the experience of the incubus presence, with slight variations, in which the evil presence is perceived by the subject to be attempting to suffocate them, either by pressing heavily on the chest or by strangulation.[10] A neurological explanation hold that this results from a combination of the threat vigilance activation system and the muscle paralysis associated with sleep paralysis that removes voluntary control of breathing.[10] Several features of REM breathing patterns exacerbate the feeling of suffocation.[10] These include shallow rapid breathing, hypercapnia, and slight blockage of the airway, which is a symptom prevalent in sleep apnea patients.[9] According to this account, the subject attempts to breath deeply and finds herself unable to do so, creating a sensation of resistance, which the threat-activated vigilance system interprets as an unearthly being sitting on her chest, threatening suffocation.[9] The sensation of entrapment causes a feedback loop when the fear of suffocation increases as a result of continued helplessness, causing the subject to struggle to end the SP episode.[10]

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: True Life Story: My Ordeal With An Alien/Demon/Witch by GodMode: 2:53pm On Aug 30, 2014
grin grin grin grin grin grin this thread got me laughing....

padeolu,
here's the right explanation:::

A part of your body went numb(no blood flowing) due to your sleeping position... Most likely your back that's why you could not really move or speak.. After u woke up, blood started flowing back that's why your strength came back...

This is a sign of a health problem coupled with hallucinating...

2 Likes

Re: True Life Story: My Ordeal With An Alien/Demon/Witch by padeolu: 2:54pm On Aug 30, 2014
beinstein:
i believe it's a branded incense...Honestly i can't remember the last time i saw it. It worked for me just like magic then.
Thanks bro, I will look around, hopefully I'd be able to get it.
Re: True Life Story: My Ordeal With An Alien/Demon/Witch by padeolu: 2:55pm On Aug 30, 2014
Missmossy: Holy heavens! What a horrible encounter,glad you survived the attack.
Thanks a lot ma
Re: True Life Story: My Ordeal With An Alien/Demon/Witch by streetzdreamz(m): 2:58pm On Aug 30, 2014
Chinedu1991: its sleep paralysis bro. it's really a scary experience.
like seriously ts very horrible,I once experienced it wen I was in d boarding school backden,took a nap b4 d dinner time n dat was it,felt dis strange feeling of being pressed down,cudnt scream,ma breath was short n rapid,heard d bell ring for dinner,but cudnt get up from ma bed,if not for a friend of mine that was vigilant enough to see ma posture on d bed,he kept on shaking me n calling on ma name for some minutes b4 I cud wake up,told him I heard him calling buh I just cudnt open my eyes or respond,twas den he told me twas an attack,sadly ion bliv in prayers,guess God just saved me outer his mercies bakden.
Re: True Life Story: My Ordeal With An Alien/Demon/Witch by Olusanya333(m): 2:59pm On Aug 30, 2014
Have u had Salvation?If No, they are coming back and in you lies no power to overcome them.But i have a good news for you,You can have someone greater than the whole world come into u.The person is Jesus u believe and confess him Lord and He will come into u.He will by Himself teach u what to do and say everytime.You urself will wonder why the name of Jesus is so powerful. Taste and see that the Lord is good.@Op

3 Likes

Re: True Life Story: My Ordeal With An Alien/Demon/Witch by duni04(m): 3:00pm On Aug 30, 2014
MissMeiya: [size=18pt]Sleep paralysis[/size] is a phenomenon in which a person, either when falling asleep or awakening, temporarily experiences an inability to move. It is a transitional state between wakefulness and sleep characterized by complete muscle atonia (muscle weakness). It is often associated with terrifying visions, such as an intruder in the room, to which one is unable to react due to paralysis, from which the term "nightmare" is derived. One theory is that it results from disrupted REM sleep, which is normally characterized by complete muscle atonia to prevent the sleeper from acting out his or her dreams. Sleep paralysis has been linked to disorders such as narcolepsy, migraines, anxiety disorders, and obstructive sleep apnea; however, it can also occur in isolation.[1][2] When linked to another disorder, sleep paralysis commonly occurs in association with the neurological sleep disorder narcolepsy.[2]

Many people who experience sleep paralysis are struck with a deep sense of terror when they sense a menacing presence in the room while paralyzed—hereafter referred to as the intruder. A neurological interpretation of this phenomenon is that it results from a hyper-vigilant state created in the midbrain.[9] More specifically, the emergency response is activated in the brain when individuals wake up paralyzed and feel vulnerable to attack.[10] This helplessness can intensify the effects of the threat response well above the level typical of normal dreams, which could explain why such visions during sleep paralysis are so vivid.[10] Normally the threat-activated vigilance system is a protective mechanism to differentiate between dangerous situations and to determine whether the fear response is appropriate.[10] Some hypothesize that the threat vigilance system is evolutionarily biased to interpret ambiguous stimuli as dangerous, because "erring on the side of caution" increases survival chances.[10] This hypothesis could account for why the threatening presence is perceived as being evil.[10]

A similar process may explain the experience of the incubus presence, with slight variations, in which the evil presence is perceived by the subject to be attempting to suffocate them, either by pressing heavily on the chest or by strangulation.[10] A neurological explanation hold that this results from a combination of the threat vigilance activation system and the muscle paralysis associated with sleep paralysis that removes voluntary control of breathing.[10] Several features of REM breathing patterns exacerbate the feeling of suffocation.[10] These include shallow rapid breathing, hypercapnia, and slight blockage of the airway, which is a symptom prevalent in sleep apnea patients.[9] According to this account, the subject attempts to breath deeply and finds herself unable to do so, creating a sensation of resistance, which the threat-activated vigilance system interprets as an unearthly being sitting on her chest, threatening suffocation.[9] The sensation of entrapment causes a feedback loop when the fear of suffocation increases as a result of continued helplessness, causing the subject to struggle to end the SP episode.[10]
Welldone! I've learnt something new today smiley
Re: True Life Story: My Ordeal With An Alien/Demon/Witch by bluiceage: 3:01pm On Aug 30, 2014
Bro, there are things outta the science realm. Aliens are real, demonic spirits and all sorts..

1 Like

Re: True Life Story: My Ordeal With An Alien/Demon/Witch by davidif: 3:01pm On Aug 30, 2014
new2020:

The figure he saw I believe I read it correctly was in the first part...the dream. The second part was when I think was the seizure. "He still felt the pain while typing the story" that's what I mean by being exhausted afterwards.

No, you don't get it. He saw a figure run off right after he woke up. And he said he felt the bee like sting after he woke up so that tells me the experience is somewhat different from your own.
Re: True Life Story: My Ordeal With An Alien/Demon/Witch by GodMode: 3:01pm On Aug 30, 2014
StoneColdBiceps: OP i bless God for you..

Errr.... When did humans get the power to BLESS God..

1 Like

Re: True Life Story: My Ordeal With An Alien/Demon/Witch by Ghost01(m): 3:01pm On Aug 30, 2014
I know the christians would love this. Why are we so blest?
Re: True Life Story: My Ordeal With An Alien/Demon/Witch by victorix(m): 3:05pm On Aug 30, 2014
padeolu: I also believe its a spiritual attack. I guess I was saved, psalm 91 is the only chapter of the bible that I know...I wonder why God saved me.

Maybe you should consider mas.turbation sis, its sweet and free from preggy, stds, moreso, its not a sin. :/

padeolu, i thought i was alone. have experienced this before. Sometimes when am alseep, suddenly i will be unable to move, i keep struggling until i finally break out of it. sometimes i would be Calling my mom or sis for help but nothing, but the moment i say the name Jesus!!!, i would become free.
Tho have never seen any creature, all i see is dream-like.

The worst thing is when you try to fight or
call for help. Your voice doesn’t work and
your body will not respond. You just feel
helpless. Ugh, I need to stop trying to
remember these things. I’m getting chills.

2 Likes

Re: True Life Story: My Ordeal With An Alien/Demon/Witch by davidif: 3:06pm On Aug 30, 2014
SurePresident: A young friend of mine died in his sleep early this year. Not from poison and he wasn't sick at all, healthy young graduate that just got a well paying job. He just slept and never woke up the following day. I still cry, I miss him dearly. We both didn't fancy anything like Church or GOD, his death made me to get closer and commited to God.

Sorry about that. That's so sad. Pleeeease, watch the video I posted earlier, it's extremely important.
Re: True Life Story: My Ordeal With An Alien/Demon/Witch by padeolu: 3:08pm On Aug 30, 2014
MissMeiya:

Yes.

You know, when you do your own research, it sharpens your mind. Google should have opened doors for everyone. But I keep seeing a pattern on here, of people who would rather be told the answer than discover it themselves. It implies intellectual laziness and underdevelopment.
That still doesn't answer the question.

what explanation do you have for the
weird. Shadow walking through the wall and the
pinching part of the ordeal? Is that sleep paralysis
also?
Re: True Life Story: My Ordeal With An Alien/Demon/Witch by sisiafrika(f): 3:09pm On Aug 30, 2014
When I was still a kid, I used to raise my hand to slap dem, guess what, thousand of needles or something spiky just prick my palm. I feel it even after waking. Some of them tease my armpit too. Wonder wat dey are looking for.
Re: True Life Story: My Ordeal With An Alien/Demon/Witch by beinstein(m): 3:10pm On Aug 30, 2014
padeolu: Thanks bro, I will look around, hopefully I'd be able to get it.
you're welcome....oh, one more thing, do well and quit self-service.
I was involved for several years and later knew the danger. An ardent masturbator i was i might add. After restless search on how to curb it i ran into a programme on television which guides people on how to be free of it. Followed
the programme with keen interest ,and now i'm free. Please!!!!
Re: True Life Story: My Ordeal With An Alien/Demon/Witch by mayorhy: 3:11pm On Aug 30, 2014
I think this dude may haave seen his own shadow . I mean he hAd a laamp , he might have seen his own shaaadow bouncing up aand down d wall, aand in tht. Panick And scared state assumed d worse

1 Like

Re: True Life Story: My Ordeal With An Alien/Demon/Witch by GodMode: 3:12pm On Aug 30, 2014
new2020:

Listen very carefully. This has happened to me more than 50 times from 17 to 27. When I was in Nigeria I used to assume like you it was a demon or something. However, after I left the country( back now) It kept happening in far away Australia; so I knew something wasn't right. So I discussed it with my personal physician casually, he immediately told me it was a type of seizure and requested I see a neurologist. Listen to me very carefully, this is not witchcraft or demon, is a medical condition. I experienced exactly 100% of what you experienced...struggling to wake up but you can't, like somebody is restraining you, you can't breath, can't move any part of your body, you keep struggling until you finally wake up. When you do, you feel all exhausted and scared to go back to sleep. Physiologically, what was happening to you at that time is seizure; your body is shaking but you are unaware, there is lost of electrical activity between your brain and your body, after a while you regain consciousness. It's like mini-epilepsy but only happen while asleep. My was almost twice a week. Long story short, I began taking anti-seizure/anti-convulsant medication, exercising more frequently for better blood flow to the brain which stopped it. If ever it does happen is like once in 4 months but doesn't bother me. So, go and see a neurologist to prescribe you anti seizure medication. I can't believe I could ever find someone who will replicate the same thing that happened to me. It's unfortunate that we always attribute everything to witchcraft and demon.

BEST AND MOST ENLIGHTENING COMMENT ON THIS THREAD
Re: True Life Story: My Ordeal With An Alien/Demon/Witch by Nobody: 3:13pm On Aug 30, 2014
[size=18pt]Folklore from all over the world[/size]
See if your demon theory sounds any better than other HISTORICAL fairytales, before the advent of science and widespread education in society.

In Scandinavian folklore, sleep paralysis is caused by a mare, a supernatural creature related to incubi and succubi. The mare is a damned woman, who is cursed and her body is carried mysteriously during sleep and without her noticing. In this state, she visits villagers to sit on their rib cages while they are asleep, causing them to experience nightmares.

Folk belief in Newfoundland, South Carolina and Georgia describe the negative figure of the hag who leaves her physical body at night, and sits on the chest of her victim. The victim usually wakes with a feeling of terror, has difficulty breathing because of a perceived heavy invisible weight on his or her chest, and is unable to move i.e., experiences sleep paralysis. This nightmare experience is described as being "hag-ridden" in the Gullah lore. The "Old Hag" was a nightmare spirit in British and also Anglophone North American folklore.

In Fiji, the experience is interpreted as kana tevoro, being "eaten" by a demon. In many cases the demon can be the spirit of a recently dead relative who has come back for some unfinished business, or has come to communicate some important news to the living. Often persons sleeping near the afflicted person say kania, kania, "eat! eat!" in an attempt to prolong the possession for a chance to converse with the dead relative or spirit and seek answers as to why he or she has come back. The person waking up from the experience is often asked to immediately curse or chase the spirit of the dead relative, which sometimes involves literally speaking to the spirit and telling him or her to go away or using expletives.

In Turkey sleep paralysis is called Karabasan, and is similar to other stories of demonic visitation during sleep. A supernatural being, commonly known as a jinn (cin in Turkish), comes to the victim's room, holds him or her down hard enough not to allow any kind of movement, and starts to strangle the person. To get rid of the demonic creature, one needs to pray to Allah by reading Al-Falaq and Al-Nas from the Qur'an. Moreover, in some derivatives of the stories, the jinn has a wide hat and if the person can show the courage and take its hat, the djinn becomes his slave.

In Thailand it is believed that sleep paralysis and discomfort is caused by a ghost of the Thai folklore known as Phi Am (Thai: ผีอำ).[27] Some people claim that this spirit may even cause bruises.[28] Stories about this spirit are common in Thai comics.[29]

In the Southern states of the United States, elders refer to it as the "witch riding your back."

In Eastern Chinese folklore, it is thought that a mouse can steal human breath at night. Human breath strengthens the mouse, allowing it longevity and the ability to briefly become human at night, in a similar fashion to fox spirits. The mouse sits near the person's face or under their nostrils.

East Asia
In Chinese culture, sleep paralysis is widely known as "鬼壓身/鬼压身" (pinyin: guǐ yā shēn) or "鬼壓床/鬼压床" (pinyin: guǐ yā chuáng), which literally translate into "ghost pressing on body" or "ghost pressing on bed." A more modern term is "夢魘/梦魇" (pinyin: mèng yǎn).

In Japanese culture, sleep paralysis is referred to as kanashibari (金縛り), literally "bound or fastened in metal," from "kane" (metal) and "shibaru" (to bind, to tie, to fasten). This term is occasionally used by English speaking authors to refer to the phenomenon both in academic papers and in pop psych literature.[30]
In Korean culture, sleep paralysis is called gawi nulim (Hangul: 가위눌림), literally, "being pressed down by something scary in a dream." It is often associated with a belief that a ghost or spirit is lying on top of or pressing down on the sufferer.

In Mongolian culture, nightmares in general as well as sleep paralysis is referred to by the verb-phrase khar darakh (written kara darahu), meaning "to be pressed by the Black" or "when the Dark presses." Kara means black, and may refer to the dark side personified. Kharin buu means "shaman of the black" (shamans of the dark side only survive in far-northern Mongolia), while tsaghaan zugiin buu means "shaman of the white direction" (referring to shamans who only invoke benevolent spirits). Compare 'karabasan' (the dark presser) in Turkish, which may date from pre-Islamic times when the Turks had the same religion and mythology as the Mongols. See Mythology of the Turkic and Mongolian peoples and Tengriism.

South-East Asia
In Cambodian, Lao, and Thai culture sleep paralysis is called phǐǐ am (Thai pronunciation: [pʰǐi.ʔam], Lao pronunciation: [pʰǐi.ʔàm]) and khmout sukkhot. It is described as an event in which the person is sleeping and dreams that one or more ghostly figures are nearby or even holding him or her down. The sufferer is unable to move or make any noises. This is not to be confused with pee khao and khmout jool, ghost possession.

In Hmong culture, sleep paralysis is understood to be caused by a nocturnal pressing spirit, dab tsog. Dab tsog attacks "sleepers" by sitting on their chests, sometimes attempting to strangle them. Some believe that dab tsog is responsible for sudden unexpected nocturnal death syndrome (SUNDS), which claimed the lives of over 100 Southeast Asian immigrants in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Adler (2011) offers a biocultural perspective on sleep paralysis and the sudden deaths. She suggests that an interplay between the Brugada syndrome (a genetic cardiac disorder) and the traditional meaning of a dab tsog attack are at the heart of the sudden deaths.[31]

In Vietnamese culture, sleep paralysis is called ma đè, meaning "held down by a ghost," or bóng đè, meaning "held down by a shadow."

In Philippine culture, bangungut has traditionally been attributed to nightmares.[32] People who claim to survive such nightmares report symptoms of sleep paralysis.

In New Guinea, people refer to this phenomenon as Suk Ninmyo, believed to originate from sacred trees that use human essence to sustain its life. The trees are said to feed on human essence during night as to not disturb the human's daily life, but sometimes people wake unnaturally during the feeding, resulting in the paralysis.

In Malay of Malay Peninsula, sleep paralysis is known as kena tindih (or ketindihan in Indonesia), which means "being pressed."[33] Incidents are commonly considered the work of a malign agency; occurring in what are explained as blind spots in the field of vision, they are reported as demonic figures.

South Asia
In Kashmiri mythology this is caused by an invisible creature called a "pasindhar" or a "sayaa". Some people believe that a pasikdhar lives in every house and attacks somebody if the house has not been cleaned or if god is not being worshiped in the house. One also experiences this if one has been doing something evil or derives pleasure from the misfortunes of others.

In Pakistan, sleep paralysis is considered an encounter with Shaitan (Urdu: شيطان ) (Satan), evil jinns or demons who have taken over one's body. Like Iran, this ghoul is known as 'bakhtak' (Urdu: بختک) or 'ifrit'. It is also assumed that it is caused by the black magic performed by enemies and jealous persons. People, especially children and young girls, wear Ta'wiz (Urdu: تعویز) (Amulet) to ward off evil eye. Spells, incantations and curses could also result in ghouls haunting a person. Some homes and places are also believed to be haunted by evil ghosts, satanic or other supernatural beings and they could haunt people living there especially during the night. Muslim holy persons (Imams, Maulvis, Sufis, Mullahs, Faqirs) perform exorcism on individuals who are believed to be possessed. The homes, houses, buildings and grounds are blessed and consecrated by Mullahs or Imams by reciting Qur'an and Adhan (Urdu: أَذَان), the Islamic call to prayer, recited by the muezzin.

In Bangladesh, the phenomenon of sleep paralysis is referred to as boba ("speechless"wink.[citation needed]

In Tamil Nadu and Sri Lankan Tamil culture, this particular phenomenon is referred to as Amuku Be or Amuku Pei meaning "the ghost that forces one down."

In Nepal, especially Newari culture it is also known as Khyaak, after a ghost-like figure believed to reside in the darkness under the staircases of a house.

Middle-East, Western and Central Asia
In Arabic Culture, sleep paralysis is often referred to as Ja-thoom (Arabic: جاثوم‎), literally "What sits heavily on something". In folklore across Arab countries, the Ja-thoom is believed to be a shayṭān or a ‘ifrīt sitting on top of the person or is also choking him. It is said that it can be prevented by sleeping on your right side and reading the Throne Verse of the Quran.

In Turkish culture, sleep paralysis is often referred to as karabasan ("the dark presser/assailer"wink. It is believed to be a creature that attacks people in their sleep, pressing on their chest and stealing their breath. However, folk legends do not provide a reason why the devil or ifrit does that.

In Persian culture it is known as bakhtak (Persian: بختک), which is a ghost-like creature that sits on the dreamer's chest, making breathing hard for him/her.
In Kurdish culture, sleep paralysis is often referred to as motakka. It is believed to be a demon that attacks people in their sleep, and particularly children of young age, which they breathe heavily as for motakka will be stealing their breath away and keep it out of reach.

Africa
Ogun Oru is a traditional explanation for nocturnal disturbances among the Yoruba of Southwest Nigeria; ogun oru ("nocturnal warfare"wink involves an acute night-time disturbance that is culturally attributed to demonic infiltration of the body and psyche during dreaming. Ogun oru is characterized by its occurrence, a female preponderance, the perception of an underlying feud between the sufferer's earthly spouse and a "spiritual" spouse, and the event of bewitchment through eating while dreaming. The condition is believed to be treatable through Christian prayers or elaborate traditional rituals designed to exorcise the imbibed demonic elements.[34]

In Zimbabwean Shona culture the word Madzikirira is used to refer something strongly pressing one down. This mostly refers to the spiritual world in which some spirit—especially an evil one—tries to use its victim for some evil purpose. The people believe that witches can only be people of close relations to be effective, and hence a witches often try to use one's spirit to bewitch one's relatives.

In Ethiopian culture the word dukak (ዱካክ, "depression"wink is used, which is believed to be an evil spirit that possesses people during their sleep. Some people believe this experience is a symptom of withdrawal from the stimulant khat. The evil spirit dukak is an anthropomorphic personification of the depression that often results from the act of quitting chewing khat. 'Dukak' often appears in hallucinations of the quitters and metes out punishments to its victims for offending him by quitting. The punishments are often in the form of implausible physical punishments (e.g., the dukak puts the victim in a bottle and shakes the bottle vigorously) or outrageous tasks the victim must perform (e.g., swallow a bag of gravel).[35]

In Swahili speaking East Africa, it is known as jinamizi, which refers to a creature sitting on one's chest making it difficult for him/her to breathe. It is attributed to result from a person sleeping on his back. Most people also recall being strangled by this 'creature'.

In the Moroccan culture, Sleep Paralysis is known as Bou Rattat, which mean a demon that press and covers the sleeper's body so they cannot move or speak.

Europe
In Finnish folk culture sleep paralysis is called unihalvaus (dream paralysis), but the Finnish word for nightmare, painajainen, is believed to originally have meant sleep paralysis, as the word painaja translates to pusher or presser, but with nen added to the end.

In Hungarian folk culture sleep paralysis is called lidércnyomás (lidérc pressing) and can be attributed to a number of supernatural entities like lidérc (wraith), boszorkány (witch), tündér (fairy) or ördögszerető (demon lover).[36] The word boszorkány itself stems from the Turkish root bas-, meaning "to press."[37]

In Iceland folk culture sleep paralysis is generally called having a Mara. A goblin or a succubus (since it is generally female) believed to cause nightmares (the origin of the word 'Nightmare' itself is derived from an English cognate of her name). Other European cultures share variants of the same folklore, calling her under different names; Proto-Germanic: marōn; Old English: mære; German: Mahr; Dutch: nachtmerrie; Icelandic, Old Norse, Faroese, and Swedish: mara; Danish: mare; Norwegian: mare; Old Irish: morrigain; Croatian, Bosnian, Serbian, Slovene: môra; Bulgarian, Polish: mara; French: cauchemar; Romanian: moroi; Czech: můra; Slovak: mora. The origin of the belief itself is much older, back to the reconstructed Proto Indo-European root mora-, an incubus, from the root mer- "to rub away" or "to harm."

In Malta, folk culture attributes a sleep paralysis incident to an attack by the Haddiela, who is the wife of the Hares, an entity in Maltese folk culture that haunts the individual in ways similar to a poltergeist.[citation needed] As believed in folk culture, to get rid of the Haddiela, one must place a piece of silverware or a knife under the pillow prior to sleep.

In Greece and Cyprus, it is believed that sleep paralysis occurs when a ghost-like creature or Demon named Mora, Vrahnas or Varypnas (Greek: Μόρα, Βραχνάς, Βαρυπνάς) tries to steal the victim's speech or sits on the victim's chest causing asphyxiation.[citation needed]

In Catalonia legend and popular culture, the Pesanta is an enormous dog (or sometimes a cat) that goes into people's houses in the night and puts itself on their chests making it difficult for them to breathe and causing them the most horrible nightmares. The Pesanta is black and hairy, with steel paws, but with holes so it can't take anything.[citation needed]
In Latvian folk culture sleep paralysis is called a torture or strangling by Lietuvēns. It is thought to be a soul of a killed (strangled, drowned, hanged) person and attacks both people and domestic animals. When under attack, one must move the toe of the left foot to get rid of the attacker.[38]

Americas
During the Salem witch trials several people reported nighttime attacks by various alleged witches, including Bridget Bishop, that may have been caused by sleep paralysis.[39]

In Mexico, it is believed that this is caused by the spirit of a dead person. This ghost lies down upon the body of the sleeper, rendering him unable to move. People refer to this as "subirse el muerto" (dead person on you).[40]

In many parts of the Southern United State[/b]s, the phenomenon is known as a hag, and the event is said to portend an approaching tragedy or accident.

In [b]Newfoundland
, it is known as the 'Old Hag'.[41] In island folklore, the Hag can be summoned to attack a third party, like a curse. In his 1982 book, The Terror that Comes in the Night, David J. Hufford writes that in local culture the way to call the Hag is to recite the Lord's Prayer backwards.

In Brazil, there is a legend about a mythological being called the pisadeira ("she who steps"wink. She is described as a tall, skinny old woman, with long dirty nails in dried toes, white tangled hair, a long nose, staring red eyes, and greenish teeth on her evil laugh. She lives over the roofs, waiting to step on the chest of those who sleep with full stomach.

3 Likes

Re: True Life Story: My Ordeal With An Alien/Demon/Witch by Jabioro: 3:13pm On Aug 30, 2014
My dear broda,u r under serious spiritual attacked..u need 2 change ur way,those women around u,marathon fasting wt many vigil especially 4rm 12:45 -2am..don't wt ur eye close.
Re: True Life Story: My Ordeal With An Alien/Demon/Witch by franklininu: 3:14pm On Aug 30, 2014
science can say all they want but let me tell you that u were visited that night. Believe this or not base on personal experience as i climbe d ladder of christianity, i found out that we ve two set of people who can sleep and wake up peacefully without a spiritual attack. the first group of people are those that trully born again and leave their life for God. they are just too hot, yes i mean too hot for d devil, and those night crawlers to get close to. They just cannot be attack. the second set of people lik i said that sleep without attack are those peopl whose christian life are down, no spiritual fire, a fallen believer who stil speak in tongue but spiritually dead, peopl who knows God but God doesnt know them. these peopl dont ve attack not bc they cannot be attack but bc they are no threat to d spiritual kindom of darkness. And anyday d devil decid to visit them, hmmmm its usually hot like ur case bro.

Then those that get over dose of spiritual attack are those peopl who are trying to rise in their christian faith, who ar striving to be holy.., who just gave their life to christ- baby christians.

if ur reading this and ur life is not among the first category of peopl who are strong beliver, spirit filled and ur ar not havin attack ,know that ur not a threat to d devil thats why.

From what u ve said so far ur not a true christian who obeys d scripture. Give ur life totally to God and expirience true freedom.

Thanks for sharing this....

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

See The Big Python Found At The Back Of Our House. / 10 Acts That Lead Some Young Guys To Early Grave / Huge Python Caught In Owerri, Butchered In Front Of Children (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.