Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,778 members, 7,810,026 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:53 PM

If God Is Omnipotent, Can He... - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If God Is Omnipotent, Can He... (3541 Views)

Athiest Claim: If God Existed, Prayer Would Have Brought World Peace? / If God Is Only Good, How Can You Explain These Five Verses? / If God Knew Satan Will Rebel And Adam And Eve Will Sin, Why Did He Create Them? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If God Is Omnipotent, Can He... by alexleo(m): 12:43pm On Sep 08, 2014
Liveair:

Like I said earlier, there is a difference between when the bible says THE LORD and THE PRESENCE OF THE LORD or MANIFESTED PRESENCE. His presence is a manifestation which is seen as Clouds, Fire and Thunder.

Ezekiel and Daniel saw THE LORD on his throne!
His form, his hair, his clothing, his feet were seen. In the cases of the Israelites you mentioned, they saw his MANIFESTED PRESENCE.
Ezekiel and Daniel never said God appeared IN ...

Num 12:5 which you sited states that God descended IN THE PILLAR OF CLOUD...
Why do you think it didn't simply say GOD DESCENDED? The use of the preposition IN should make it clear that its his manifested presence.

Exo 19 & 24 you sited even makes it easier to see. It says THE GLORY of the Lord...fire. That is clear enough.

Now, read Exo 33:14;
"and he said, My PRESENCE shall go with thee..."
You can now see clearly that God told Moses that his presence shall go with them.

So you are separating the presence of God from God himself? Why do you think so?
Re: If God Is Omnipotent, Can He... by Liveair: 2:20pm On Sep 08, 2014
alexleo:

So you are separating the presence of God from God himself? Why do you think so?

Wow! Its not me bro, am explaining to you what your bible says. That's why I quoted those passages for you to see the difference.
Biblically, God never has to leave his throne but can have his manifested presence or glory where he pleases.

Isaiah 63:9;
"In all their affliction he was afflicted, and THE ANGEL OF HIS PRESENCE saved them..."
Re: If God Is Omnipotent, Can He... by alexleo(m): 5:33pm On Sep 08, 2014
Liveair:

Wow! Its not me bro, am explaining to you what your bible says. That's why I quoted those passages for you to see the difference.
Biblically, God never has to leave his throne but can have his manifested presence or glory where he pleases.

"In all their affliction he was afflicted, and THE ANGEL OF HIS PRESENCE saved them..."

There were places angels carried out assignments for God. Of course that's their duty. But the places I quoted shows it was God that manifested himself in that form. God has the power to manifest himself in whichever way he wants and feels ok for whatever message he wants to deliver. We can't describe God enough. Even Ezekiel couldn't give a definite description of him.

Now back to your OP. I ask- can you destroy yourself? I mean can you wipe yourself from the surface of the earth?
Re: If God Is Omnipotent, Can He... by Liveair: 6:05pm On Sep 08, 2014
alexleo:

There were places angels carried out assignments for God. Of course that's their duty. But the places I quoted shows it was God that manifested himself in that form. God has the power to manifest himself in whichever way he wants and feels ok for whatever message he wants to deliver. We can't describe God enough. Even Ezekiel couldn't give a definite description of him.

Now back to your OP. I ask- can you destroy yourself? I mean can you wipe yourself from the surface of the earth?

Don't let us go through all the explanation again.
"In all their affliction he was afflicted, and THE
ANGEL OF HIS PRESENCE saved them..."

Hahaha, I thought I was doing the questioning. Anyway, yes, people have killed, destroyed and obliterated themselves; suicide bombers are doing so.
But again, I am not Omnipotent.
Re: If God Is Omnipotent, Can He... by alexleo(m): 8:14pm On Sep 08, 2014
Liveair:

Hahaha, I thought I was doing the questioning. Anyway, yes, people have killed, destroyed and obliterated themselves; suicide bombers are doing so.
But again, I am not Omnipotent.

For you to destroy yourself it takes something that can destroy you to do that. What is that thing that can destroy God which he will have to employ just like in the case of the suicide bomber to destroy himself(wipe himself out of existence)?
Re: If God Is Omnipotent, Can He... by Liveair: 8:36pm On Sep 08, 2014
alexleo:

For you to destroy yourself it takes something that can destroy you to do that. What is that thing that can destroy God which he will have to employ just like in the case of the suicide bomber to destroy himself(wipe himself out of existence)?

Maybe his Almighty Power. Don't you think so?
Re: If God Is Omnipotent, Can He... by honourhim: 12:50am On Sep 09, 2014
Liveair:

Nope.
Re: If God Is Omnipotent, Can He... by alexleo(m): 1:12am On Sep 09, 2014
Liveair:

His almighty power is part of him and the thing that makes him who he is. It will only take a power higher than his to wipe him out. And of course if there is any such power, he wouldn't have been who he is. .

Again God didn't call himself into existence (as he did to his creations) so he can't call himself out of existence. He wasn't created so he can't uncreate himself.
Re: If God Is Omnipotent, Can He... by Liveair: 5:41am On Sep 09, 2014
alexleo: ... so he CAN'T call himself out of existence. He wasn't created so he CAN'T uncreate himself.

So how is he Omnipotent?
Re: If God Is Omnipotent, Can He... by Liveair: 5:44am On Sep 09, 2014
honourhim:

Nope.

Why not?
Re: If God Is Omnipotent, Can He... by alexleo(m): 6:00pm On Sep 09, 2014
Liveair:

So how is he Omnipotent?

How is he not?

What makes you a winner? Is it your ability to lose or your ability to win?
Re: If God Is Omnipotent, Can He... by sistar007(m): 6:21pm On Sep 09, 2014
Liveair:

Its not about Believing or Not. You have to prove your point by siting your biblical reference.
Why I said most christians will disagree with you is that Jesus said that he and the Father are one. He also said to his followers that he who has seen him has seen the Father. See John 10:30.

OK.
Re: If God Is Omnipotent, Can He... by Liveair: 6:49pm On Sep 09, 2014
alexleo:

How is he not?

What makes you a winner? Is it your ability to lose or your ability to win?

You see, you earlier said "...HE CAN'T UNCREATE HIMSELF 'cos he did not create himself.

Check the meaning of Omnipotent.
Re: If God Is Omnipotent, Can He... by Nobody: 8:42pm On Sep 09, 2014
I think the answer is pregnant.
But the question seems to be as if someone is trying to disput the GOD of creation. It can never be done because no one created him.
So "THE SOURCE OF LIFE CANNEVER BE VANISHED."
I think you are gaining some senses now.
So please the question seems as if: "satan CLAIMED TO TAKE OVER GOD'S THRONE"
I think the thought seems as if one want to start rebelling against God.
Stop trying to know the full mystry of God when attempting to know it in the bad lite.
Please quit the thoughts.
AMEN
Re: If God Is Omnipotent, Can He... by alexleo(m): 12:25am On Sep 10, 2014
Liveair:

You see, you earlier said "...HE CAN'T UNCREATE HIMSELF 'cos he did not create himself.

Check the meaning of Omnipotent.

You said he should use his almighty power to wipe himself out. How possible is that. The suicide bomber you gave as an example made use of a more destructive power. What is that power that is beyond the almighty power of God? Thats the only power that can wipe him out.

And yes, God was not created that's why he has no beginning and no end. Creation involves planning and takes a process but God did not come to be through this. His nature did not pass through creation. He is not a product of creation. So the issue of uncreating himself does note even arise. You ddont uncreate what was not created. The scripture never told us he was created or he evolved through a process. He has been there even before time, days and dates came into existence.

Again the nature of God is an infinite nature, a never-dying nature so the issue of him wiping himself out is just not there.
Re: If God Is Omnipotent, Can He... by Liveair: 8:09am On Sep 10, 2014
bambeolumide: I think the answer is pregnant.
But the question seems to be as if someone is trying to disput the GOD of creation. It can never be done because no one created him.
So "THE SOURCE OF LIFE CANNEVER BE VANISHED."
I think you are gaining some senses now.
So please the question seems as if: "satan CLAIMED TO TAKE OVER GOD'S THRONE"
I think the thought seems as if one want to start rebelling against God.
Stop trying to know the full mystry of God when attempting to know it in the bad lite.
Please quit the thoughts.
AMEN

If the answer is pregnant, then mid-wife it. If you have the answer then tell us.
We developed brains so we can use them to reason. Since you know the full "mystery" of God in "good light", please tell us;
Can the Omnipotent God put himself out of existence?
Re: If God Is Omnipotent, Can He... by Liveair: 8:12am On Sep 10, 2014
alexleo:

You said he should use his almighty power to wipe himself out. How possible is that. The suicide bomber you gave as an example made use of a more destructive power. What is that power that is beyond the almighty power of God? Thats the only power that can wipe him out.

And yes, God was not created that's why he has no beginning and no end. Creation involves planning and takes a process but God did not come to be through this. His nature did not pass through creation. He is not a product of creation. So the issue of uncreating himself does note even arise. You ddont uncreate what was not created. The scripture never told us he was created or he evolved through a process. He has been there even before time, days and dates came into existence.

Again the nature of God is an infinite nature, a never-dying nature so the issue of him wiping himself out is just not there.

My point; If there is something he cannot do, according to you, he can't put himself out of existence, how is he Omnipotent.
Actually, you have already answered the question.
Re: If God Is Omnipotent, Can He... by asalimpo(m): 11:19am On Sep 10, 2014
Liveair:

If the answer is pregnant, then mid-wife it. If you have the answer then tell us.
We developed brains so we can use them to reason. Since you know the full "mystery" of God in "good light", please tell us;
Can the Omnipotent God put himself out of existence?

why did you pose this question,in the first place?

Was it to learn and be educated or just for the fun of inciting dry debate?
Re: If God Is Omnipotent, Can He... by Liveair: 11:33am On Sep 10, 2014
asalimpo:

Answering question with questions!
If you have no answer just read and learn.
Re: If God Is Omnipotent, Can He... by asalimpo(m): 11:53am On Sep 10, 2014
Liveair:

only a fool will rush to respond to ur incisive question without discerning your motive - which is apparent .
What hav u learnt so far? Probably preparing ur next illogical question for ur next thread. *anything to get christians chattering and ur thread count rising. No learning occuring. No impact just debate*.
Re: If God Is Omnipotent, Can He... by asalimpo(m): 11:53am On Sep 10, 2014
Liveair:

Re: If God Is Omnipotent, Can He... by alexleo(m): 12:00pm On Sep 10, 2014
asalimpo:

Such questions are not bad if the questioner is not doing it with the intention to abuse God. Though in his own case i cant say his true intentions for sure.
Nevertheless, I like attending to his thread because such questions as this makes you reason far and study the scripture more. I may not agree with some of his submissions but at the end of the day my understanding of God becomes clearer and my faith in him grows stronger.

Feel free to make input bro. Dont see it as a debate or a fight rather see it as a discussion with a friend. Thats the way i see it. I just see it that we are rubbing minds together. Thats all. It doesnt mean that we must agree.
Re: If God Is Omnipotent, Can He... by alexleo(m): 12:04pm On Sep 10, 2014
asalimpo:
only a fool will rush to respond to ur incisive question without discerning your motive - which is apparent .
What hav u learnt so far? Probably preparing ur next illogical question for ur next thread. *anything to get christians chattering and ur thread count rising. No learning occuring. No impact just debate*.

calm down bro. No need for hot words pls. Ice water abeg. grin grin
Re: If God Is Omnipotent, Can He... by alexleo(m): 12:37pm On Sep 10, 2014
Liveair:

My point; If there is something he cannot do, according to you, he can't put himself out of existence, how is he Omnipotent.
Actually, you have already answered the question.

And i ask you, what makes you a winner? Is it your ability to lose or to win? How does God extinguishing himself from existence make him omnipotent? God's omnipotent nature is about his unlimited power over his creation not his power to extinguish himself. As for himself, he has said it in Malachi 3;6- I am the Lord, I change not.

He cant change his infinite nature, his never-dying-nature. It is the flesh that is created to die and be extinguished. The spirit (which is the undying part of man also lives on even when the flesh is dead). God is a spirit. Spirits can be tormented but they cant die. In the scripture you ll hear some evil spirit in a person asking Jesus- why have you come to torment us?
Re: If God Is Omnipotent, Can He... by asalimpo(m): 12:50pm On Sep 10, 2014
alexleo:

Such questions are not bad if the questioner is not doing it with the intention to abuse God. Though in his own case i cant say his true intentions for sure.
Nevertheless, I like attending to his thread because such questions as this makes you reason far and study the scripture more. I may not agree with some of his submissions but at the end of the day my understanding of God becomes clearer and my faith in him grows stronger.

Feel free to make input bro. Dont see it as a debate or a fight rather see it as a discussion with a friend. Thats the way i see it. I just see it that we are rubbing minds together. Thats all. It doesnt mean that we must agree.

good to diplomatic. But d let d op speak for himself. From all intent this is nothing but a busy bee buzzg around tryg to strt somthg with an unreasonable post.
There is such a one as the scorner and cynic. And you shud discern who u dealing with bf u strt pourg answers else you'll b doing d equivalent of wasting ur pearls on swines.
Jesus spoke with nicodemus @ night - nicodemus asked from a different motive.
For others, he ignored their questions or turned it around on them. because they werent askg to know but to condemn or entrap.
Save ur diplomacy with cynics like this op and his ilks. Be like Jesus, doodle on d ground or pay them back in same coin.
Re: If God Is Omnipotent, Can He... by alexleo(m): 1:44pm On Sep 10, 2014
asalimpo:

good to diplomatic. But d let d op speak for himself. From all intent this is nothing but a busy bee buzzg around tryg to strt somthg with an unreasonable post.
There is such a one as the scorner and cynic. And you shud discern who u dealing with bf u strt pourg answers else you'll b doing d equivalent of wasting ur pearls on swines.
Jesus spoke with nicodemus @ night - nicodemus asked from a different motive.
For others, he ignored their questions or turned it around on them. because they werent askg to know but to condemn or entrap.
Save ur diplomacy with cynics like this op and his ilks. Be like Jesus, doodle on d ground or pay them back in same coin.

Whatever pleases you bro.
Re: If God Is Omnipotent, Can He... by Liveair: 2:01pm On Sep 10, 2014
asalimpo:

So alexleo, josh65 and Co are all fools to have contributed?
Why are you getting worked up for nothing?
Has anybody here told you he/she was incited?

By the way, am too old for you and your group of "First to comment", "thread count rising", etc friends.

Those contributing are learning, if you are not, try harder.
Re: If God Is Omnipotent, Can He... by Liveair: 2:13pm On Sep 10, 2014
alexleo:

And i ask you, what makes you a winner? Is it your ability to lose or to win? How does God extinguishing himself from existence make him omnipotent? God's omnipotent nature is about his unlimited power over his creation not his power to extinguish himself. As for himself, he has said it in Malachi 3;6- I am the Lord, I change not.

He cant change his infinite nature, his never-dying-nature. It is the flesh that is created to die and be extinguished. The spirit (which is the undying part of man also lives on even when the flesh is dead). God is a spirit. Spirits can be tormented but they cant die. In the scripture you ll hear some evil spirit in a person asking Jesus- why have you come to torment us?

Good. This is another angle to it.
Does this mean he is only Omnipotent with regards to his recorded creation and not concerning himself?
Re: If God Is Omnipotent, Can He... by alexleo(m): 8:40am On Sep 11, 2014
Liveair:

Good. This is another angle to it.
Does this mean he is only Omnipotent with regards to his recorded creation and not concerning himself?

His omnipotency is what makes him indestructible. It is that unlimited power that makes him infinite, unchangeable therefore cannot be extinguished. If God is finite just like you and i physically. If he can be destroyed then he cant be omnipotent. Thats why i said its your ability to win that makes you a winner.
Re: If God Is Omnipotent, Can He... by asalimpo(m): 12:36pm On Sep 11, 2014
Liveair:

So alexleo, josh65 and Co are all fools to have contributed?
Why are you getting worked up for nothing?
Has anybody here told you he/she was incited?

By the way, am too old for you and your group of "First to comment", "thread count rising", etc friends.

Those contributing are learning, if you are not, try harder.
if u dont know what incited means get a dictionary.
Whats d crap abt first to comment and thread countg and age? Age doesnt mean wisdom.
As an atheist askg a mocking question about a God you dont believe in- what learning is there for you?
So who isnt a fool who waste his words on you- a person who has closed his mind and taken a stand already- tryg to convince you (when he knows ur motive is cynical and his effort is futile)!
Re: If God Is Omnipotent, Can He... by alexleo(m): 1:43pm On Sep 11, 2014
asalimpo: tryg to convince you (when he knows ur motive is cynical and his effort is futile)!

Bro there is nothing like trying to convince him here. Conviction of atheists is not done by anybody but by the holy spirit himself. Go and read the testimonies of atheists who got born again and you will see that almost all of them were convinced personally by God and not by argument with anybody so thats my stand. Let God do the conviction.

I have my reasons of discussing with atheists. Sometimes hard questions posed to you leads you into more research and findings. If you think i am arguing with him so as to see who will win then you are getting it all wrong. And if you can go through threads opened by atheists here you will hardly see me there. Its only threads with challenging topics that i feel can prompt me into more research/studies that i engage in. Feel free to take your own stand as it pleases you. Whether he is mocking God or not is left for God to handle in his best way. God did not ask us to defend him. ROMANS 12:19.
Re: If God Is Omnipotent, Can He... by Liveair: 5:07pm On Sep 11, 2014
alexleo:

His omnipotency is what makes him indestructible. It is that unlimited power that makes him infinite, unchangeable therefore cannot be extinguished. If God is finite just like you and i physically. If he can be destroyed then he cant be omnipotent. Thats why i said its your ability to win that makes you a winner.

Bro, like I said, you had already answered the question when you said he CAN'T remove himself from existence.
josh65 also said something awakening earlier. Don't know if I fully got him though.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Very Hot Prayers Against Poverty Curses / ATHIESTS-- The Obama-healthcare Bill Requires Implanted With Chip On Right Hand / Check Mate Atheists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.