Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,222 members, 7,815,272 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:02 AM

"What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" - Religion (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" (81583 Views)

What Does The Bible Say About Tattoos / Body Piercings? / Virgin Mary's Image Seen In Edo At St Benedicts Catholic Church In Ubiaja / What Does The Bible Say About Make-up? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Nobody: 12:01pm On Oct 12, 2014
samplegirl:

Interesting, isn't it? In that case why do we narrow it to only Mary? I think it should have been all believers we know.

Just saying ooooo!!!!!!!!!!
We Catholics do not narrow it only to Mary. We also honor and pray to saints and we also ask our priest and any man of God we respect to pray for us. Its Just that Mary's role in our salvation is so worthy that of more honor and respect hence different levels of respect are awarded. That's all.

5 Likes

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Malawian(m): 12:05pm On Oct 12, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Only Jesus had a miraculous conception and a virgin birth. This cannot be said about Mary who had to had to go for purification after the birth of Jesus. (Luke 2:22).
so if Christ had an immaculate conception, why does the vessel which bore Him purification? more importantly, why did He need to be baptised?
can we all see we can have this arguement in circles? i am a catholic. no appologies.

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by idoncome: 12:06pm On Oct 12, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Mary was a sinner who needed a Saviour. Simples. wink
a sinner who needed a saviour yet d saviour took fresh and was in d same sinner's womb for 9months.
its so awful to see what the devil is doing with you.

2 Likes

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Nobody: 12:06pm On Oct 12, 2014
heedthee:
With all the grammar this morning, my question is 'where in the Bible are we informed that Mary is in heaven?' Also apart from Mary appearing to Catholics were in the Bible are we told Mary intercedes and can hear our prayers?
Where in the bible does it say that whatever is not in the bible is wrong. Answer that before I answer your questions.

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Rich4god(m): 12:08pm On Oct 12, 2014
Joavid:

The bible says any man/woman born of woman into this world is a sinner.
Jesus Christ was born of a woman... Does that make Him a sinner...

2 Likes

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by miembamish(m): 12:09pm On Oct 12, 2014
Chibueze291994:
we only honour mary
we do not worship her.
Truly no one goes to the father except through christ, but
some are also in a better position to pray for us that's where we talk about mediator. let's take a look at what happened in canaan.
Tell them ooo!!! If everything dat happened bk then was recorded inde Bible, ah wonder hw big de Bible would have been... Wah ever anyones oppinion is sha, keep to watever u knw brings u salvation...

2 Likes

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by solasola(m): 12:15pm On Oct 12, 2014
categorically, apart from Jesus. No other human that walked the earth was sinless/had no sin/perfect.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Nobody: 12:16pm On Oct 12, 2014
dabriggs:

The teachings of Christ were not on how to cook food or how to make tea! Those you can define various ways to do. He taught you true worship on how to pray, getting closer to God through true worship amongst others. These were not just generic but with specifics! The apostles built on that. How Mary came into Catholicism is not hidden. If you don't know where you are coming from, you may never know why you are where you are and where you are going to.

Mary is your mother. Good! That is your choice to make. However the fact that you have made a choice doesn't mean facts should be upturned and futile attempts be made to logically justify what is well known and glaring. We make right and wrong choices, knowingly and unknowingly however does that change what the facts and truths are?

How Mary came into catholicism Please tell me the story. You talk of the bible been specific on the things that we should do. I agree with you. But the bible did not tell US to do ONLY what is in the bible. Pleas take note of the capitalized "only". If it is as specific as you claim, then it should also state that we are not to pray to Mary or anyone else aside christ. That's all.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by SailorXY: 12:20pm On Oct 12, 2014
simplisity:
I believe solely that Christ is d only mediator we have. But dont forget that sometimes we ask our priest, pastors, brethren etc, to pray for us or to intercede for us. That is y in some ministries we have intercessors and their prayer is wat is keeping d ministry. So, if we can ask people on earth that is full of sin to intercede for us and their prayer is working, how much more the person that gave birth to Christ, whom we all knew that she is in Heaven.
what relationship has the dead with the living?
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Rich4god(m): 12:21pm On Oct 12, 2014
aris:

I know you have a problem understanding English language

dictionary meaning of mediator and intercede

To intercede is to go or come between two
parties, to plead before one of them on behalf
of the other. "Mediation"
means a standing in the midst between two
(contending) parties, for the purpose of
bringing them together.

I think its you who doesnt understand english... Check the different in the meaning of the two words... One is pleading to somebody on behalf of another... The other is using his own power/method in bringing two people together...

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Nobody: 12:25pm On Oct 12, 2014
SailorXY:

what relationship has the dead with the living?
Do you not believe in life after death? Do you no believe in the power of the resurrection? How you just say Mary is dead?
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Rich4god(m): 12:26pm On Oct 12, 2014
Ten pages and counting... If only we were debating about national security or an innovation to invent, we wont have been where we are... SMH for Nigerians...
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Yemisi63: 12:26pm On Oct 12, 2014
Lmaooooooooo. This blog is bloody hilarious. Been laughing all day http://www.naijasinglegirl.net
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by olotumogbo(m): 12:27pm On Oct 12, 2014
Hmmm, OP I read your post and I think you really missed it. I'm glad you are not God who made all things and choose MARY.

Please focus on bringing people to God.

'Behold all generation has call me blessed' pls could explain what she ment? @ OP
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by babylolaroy(f): 12:28pm On Oct 12, 2014
so, there are threads muslims dont tread....
kip it up y'all here. yu v gone to nd fro,...nd still,
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Nobody: 12:28pm On Oct 12, 2014
Chibueze291994:
we only honour mary
we do not worship her.
Truly no one goes to the father except through christ, but
some are also in a better position to pray for us that's where we talk about mediator. let's take a look at what happened in canaan.

Prayer is a very important aspect of worship. So when you ask Mary to 'Pray for us sinners' what does it mean? Jesus, said we should pray to God through him. Are you doing that then?

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by KingsleyJay(m): 12:30pm On Oct 12, 2014
Rich4god:
Ten pages and counting... If only we were debating about national security or an innovation to invent, we wont have been where we are... SMH for Nigerians...
sharrap mr man,
this is about spirituality
you can go to the political thread to listen to your national security balderdash
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by heedthee: 12:31pm On Oct 12, 2014
kelvin4jesu:

Olodo oshi, where are u from?I guess u are from ogbomosho undecided
Brother i don't think a simple question calls for abuse. If u can answer the question if not leave it for those who can. We know the Bible clearly says 'Jesus is seated at the right hand of the father interceeding for us' who else is mentioned?
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Nobody: 12:31pm On Oct 12, 2014
Ichiato:

How Mary came into catholicism Please tell me the story. You talk of the bible been specific on the things that we should do. I agree with you. But the bible did not tell US to do ONLY what is in the bible. Pleas take note of the capitalized "only". If it is as specific as you claim, then it should also state that we are not to pray to Mary or anyone else aside christ. That's all.

CHRIST NEVER TOLD US TO PRAY TO HIM!!!

Christ told us to pray to his father in heaven! Not to him or to anyone else. He specifically then told us to ask for anything we want in his name. Ask in his name! WHATEVER WE ASK FOR! So if I needed intercession or mediation on my behalf with his father who should I ask? HIM! Not Mary, not a Saint, not the Priest and not the Pope or the Pastor or the G.O or the ''Man of God''.

No the bible did not tell me how to tie my shoes or whether it is good to wear an extra jacket in winter. It doesn't tell us these. But when it comes to true worship and prayer and fasting and giving alms and who we should pray to and through, these are fully stated in the bible. Note generically but specifically.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by hensben(m): 12:31pm On Oct 12, 2014
daben1:
mary was just a human like us, so why should she intercede for us when Jesus is there?
I don't even think Mary should be recognised in a prayer!
@emboldened, why? but politicians, writers, et al, can be given honor n award, some have a statue after their death e.g mandela.

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Nobody: 12:31pm On Oct 12, 2014
Rich4god:
Nigerians are very passionate about religion yet they lag behind in practice and I say this irrespective of religion or Christian denomination. We the nigerian people lack mutual love for one another that's our main problem.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by dikenna: 12:31pm On Oct 12, 2014
OLAADEGBU:
Question: "What does the Bible say about the virgin Mary?"

Answer: Mary the mother of Jesus was described by God as "highly favoured" (Luke 1:28). The phrase "highly favoured" comes from a single Greek word, which essentially means "much grace." Mary received God’s grace.

Grace is "unmerited favour," meaning something we receive despite the fact that we do not deserve it. Mary needed grace from God just as the rest of us do. Mary herself understood this fact, as she declared in Luke 1:47, “. . . and my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour. . .”

Mary recognized that she needed the Saviour. The Bible never says that Mary was anyone but an ordinary human whom God chose to use in an extraordinary way. Yes, Mary was a righteous woman and favoured (graced) by God (Luke 1:27-28). At the same time, Mary was a sinful human being who needed Jesus Christ as her Saviour, just like everyone else (Ecclesiastes 7:20; Romans 3:23; 6:23; 1 John 1:8.)

Mary did not have an "immaculate conception." The Bible doesn’t suggest Mary’s birth was anything but a normal human birth. Mary was a virgin when she gave birth to Jesus (Luke 1:34-38), but the idea of the perpetual virginity of Mary is unbiblical. Matthew 1:25, speaking of Joseph, declares, "But he had no union with her until she gave birth to a son. And he gave Him the name Jesus."

The word "until" clearly indicates that Joseph and Mary did have sexual union after Jesus was born. Joseph and Mary had several children together after Jesus was born. Jesus had four half-brothers: James, Joseph, Simon, and Judas (Matthew 13:55). Jesus also had half-sisters, although they are not named or numbered (Matthew 13:55-56). God blessed and graced Mary by giving her several children, which in that culture was the clearest indication of God’s blessing on a woman.

One time when Jesus was speaking, a woman in the crowd proclaimed, "Blessed is the womb that bore You and the breasts at which You nursed" (Luke 11:27). There was never a better opportunity for Jesus to declare that Mary was indeed worthy of praise and adoration. What was Jesus’ response? "On the contrary, blessed are those who hear the word of God and observe it" (Luke 11:28). To Jesus, obedience to God’s Word was more important than being the woman who gave birth to the Saviour.

Nowhere in Scripture does Jesus, or anyone else, direct any praise, glory, or adoration towards Mary. Elizabeth, Mary’s relative, praised Mary in Luke 1:42-44, but her praise is based on the blessing of giving birth to the Messiah. It was not based on any inherent glory in Mary.

Mary was present at the cross when Jesus died (John 19:25). Mary was also with the apostles on the day of Pentecost (Acts 1:14). However, Mary is never mentioned again after Acts chapter 1. The apostles did not give Mary a prominent role. Mary’s death is not recorded in the Bible. Nothing is said about Mary ascending to heaven or having an exalted role there. As the earthly mother of Jesus, Mary should be respected, but she is not worthy of our worship or adoration.

The Bible nowhere indicates that Mary can hear our prayers or that she can mediate for us with God. Jesus is our only advocate and mediator in heaven (1 Timothy 2:5). If offered worship, adoration, or prayers, Mary would say the same as the angels: "Worship God!" (see Revelation 19:10; 22:9.) Mary herself sets the example for us, directing her worship, adoration, and praise to God alone: "My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour, for He has been mindful of the humble state of His servant. From now on all generations will call me blessed, for the Mighty One has done great things for me — holy is His name" (Luke 1:46-49).

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/virgin-Mary.html#ixzz3CGQKef6b
my brother. Read this and u will understand that mary had only jesus as her biological son. www.catholic.com/tracts/brethren-of-the-lord. A summary of what is there are as follows: 1. The meaning of brother in the bible can also be an extended relative e.g gen 13:8 where brother was used to describe the relationship between abraham and lot who are uncle and nephew. Also 1 cor. 15:6 doesn't mean that mary gave birth to 500 children even tho they are all called brethren of christ. 2. These brothers were never once called children of mary the mother of jesus. 3. There are other women in the bible called mary. James nd joseph who are called jesus' "brothers" (mark 6:3) are indeed children of Mary but not the blessed Mary who bore Jesus. This mary was among those who witnessed the crucifixion from afar (matt 27:56) while the blessed Mary stood by the cross(john 19:25). So u see, christ had no biological brothers.

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by KingsleyJay(m): 12:33pm On Oct 12, 2014
Poznan:

Prayer is a very important aspect of worship. So when you ask Mary to 'Pray for us sinners' what does it mean? Jesus, said we should pray to God through him. Are you doing that then?

it means they are praying to God through mary instead of through Jesus

but i still think its all man to his own beliefs

who are WE to judge whos rightg n whos wrong?
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by nellycobs: 12:34pm On Oct 12, 2014
@Nnatom, I would have been a very happy catholic if I know a third of what you know and did show here. Trying though. I stopped arguing with them when I could prove that the bible directed that we confess our sins to one another and confessions by Catholics are justified.

Happy to be a catholic.

nnatom:

I know you have a problem understanding English language.

catholic says Mary intercede for them and u are missing it up with mediator. yes Christ is the only mediator between God and man. but Mary intercede,i.e plead on our behalf.

bringing them together.

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Nobody: 12:35pm On Oct 12, 2014
kathyb:
Why is there so much arguement about the teachings of catholic church. Our God works in diverse ways Mary is a woman highly favoured by God. Just as the pentecostals calls their pastor's wifes mummy that is who Mary. There is no human jugdement or critisisim that can change the fact that " hence forth, all nations shall call her blessed" to delibrate on the issue is a waste of time. If Jesus remebered His mother at the point of death it shows how much Jesus loved His mother. Jesus is our Savoiur Marry is the vessel used to bring goodnews to the world M she is blessed belive it or not
She is blessed, yes! Highly favoured, yes! Full of grace, yes! But d question is "is she worthy of our worship? Wen she doesn't av d power to forgive sin.? Everything boils down to one point my pple" knw God for thy self"! SIMPLE
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by KingsleyJay(m): 12:36pm On Oct 12, 2014
[/b]
dikenna:
my brother. Read this and u will understand that [b]mary had only jesus as her biological son.
www.catholic.com/tracts/brethren-of-the-lord. A summary of what is there are as follows: 1. The meaning of brother in the bible can also be an extended relative e.g gen 13:8 where brother was used to describe the relationship between abraham and lot who are uncle and nephew. Also 1 cor. 15:6 doesn't mean that mary gave birth to 500 children even tho they are all called brethren of christ. 2. These brothers were never once called children of mary the mother of jesus. 3. There are other women in the bible called mary. James nd joseph who are called jesus' "brothers" (mark 6:3) are indeed children of Mary but not the blessed Mary who bore Jesus. This mary was among those who witnessed the crucifixion from afar (matt 27:56) while the blessed Mary stood by the cross(john 19:25). So u see, christ had no biological brothers.

@ the bolded

are u kidding me? shocked ?
do u actually read ur bible? or u read its back angry

Mary the mother of jesus had other kids
Jesus had earthly siblings, dont misinterpret ur bible dude
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Nobody: 12:37pm On Oct 12, 2014
nnatom:

catholic says Mary intercede for them and u are missing it up with mediator. yes Christ is the only mediator between God and man. but Mary intercede,i.e plead on our behalf.

bringing them together.

You just made me laugh. In your great understanding of English, the words Intercede and Mediate differ in terms of contention ascribed to the latter. Where in the bible have u read of Jesus, or any of the Christians of old, asking Mary to intercede before God? We don't need it. Prayer is talking to God. And you claim God is your father, whom, ironically, u cannot talk to.

So what is the role of Jesus in the equation. Mary intercedes, 'brings ur case to God, or comes between you and God', so what does Jesus do?
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by heedthee: 12:37pm On Oct 12, 2014
Ichiato:

Where in the bible does it say that whatever is not in the bible is wrong. Answer that before I answer your questions.
When it comes to science you can't use a book on economics for it same way we have a guide in christiandom and that is the Bible. Any addition is just tradition on men and we are free to choose after consulting with the Bible
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Mintayo(m): 12:38pm On Oct 12, 2014
ProFuhrer:
Why are Muslims allowed to comment in a Christian thread and even post their koran verses here? The topic specifically requests for what the Bible has to say about Mary, the mother of Jesus.

Anybody posting koran verses should be banned and the comment deleted.
Lol,its like you are new to NL.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (31) (Reply)

Pastor Enoch Adeboye Reveals 2015 Prophecies / What Is The Use Of The 7 Books Of Moses / Pastor Success Sunday Forced To Marry Fiancée's Corpse Who Died During Abortion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.