Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,706 members, 7,820,467 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:29 PM

"What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" - Religion (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" (81671 Views)

What Does The Bible Say About Tattoos / Body Piercings? / Virgin Mary's Image Seen In Edo At St Benedicts Catholic Church In Ubiaja / What Does The Bible Say About Make-up? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:38am On Oct 14, 2014
nkan:

OP, What is your mission for this post? Is that what will take you to heaven?
What you are blabbing has nothing to do with you accepting Jesus as your Lord and saviour and maintaining a good relationship with God to save your soul.

Repent

My mission is to address the misconceptions about the Virgin Mary so that multitudes will not have to perish due to nescience.

2 Likes

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:39am On Oct 14, 2014
hensben:

you are very wrong @emboldened, if she call God her saviour thats doesnt make her a sinner...mr. she is just acknowledging God's work in her life in that quote which every righteous person will do.

It is either she was a sinner in need of a Saviour or a Saviour to save sinners. What was she?

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:42am On Oct 14, 2014
webizone:

Well,
the apostles honoured her,
the woman who listened to Jesus did too,
Elizabeth using that same language honoured her,
Angel Gabriel honoured her because he came with a message of such from who?
GOD!

Well none of us lived then to know if Mary was a virgin or not. But people who lived and saw her honoured her.
Me? I be big sinner o. Make no mistake. But, I will honour THE MOTHER OF GOD!

Afterall, GOD has the power to appear like a human baby and lie in a bush waiting for a pious person to come pick him up. But he chose to create sm1 called THE MOTHER OF GOD!

Nna mehn, that kind of woman must be holy because GOD will prepare Her.

If Mary is the mother of God why stop short of calling her God or Goddess? undecided
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:43am On Oct 14, 2014
gidjah:

ABEG NO MIND THEM

May the good Lord help us all. cheesy

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:45am On Oct 14, 2014
Akeem79:

Blessed Mother The Cause Of Our Joy !

Worship the giver not the gift. smiley

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:48am On Oct 14, 2014
winbyforce:

Ridiculous? Not really. ''Mother of God'' comes from the the Greek word 'Theotokos' which means 'the one who gives birth to God' or 'God-bearer'. If christian theology believes that Jesus is God, then Mary is the one that gave birth to Him.

What do you call a surrogate mother who carried an implanted embryo?

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:52am On Oct 14, 2014
Joavid:

Virgin mary is a sinner and a human being like you and I. Am very sure that at that time there were a lot of virgins, but God chose her - ( just like a chariot of fire took Elijah to heaven, just like the sure mercies of David, just like the strength God gave Samson...etc...).

God could have chosen any body.
Just like God may choose to elevate anyone beyond their wildest imagination.

The Messiah had to come, and it came through mary!

Mary was a sinner like me!!!

The bible says any man/woman born of woman into this world is a sinner.

Good point, but will tradition allow them to believe this? undecided

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:53am On Oct 14, 2014
Ifebazz:

From now on all generations will call me blessed, for the Mighty One has done great things for me — holy is His name" (Luke 1:46-49).

Why did you bother with this post since the answer is already in your post? smiley

It is good to share, isn't it? cheesy
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:59am On Oct 14, 2014
fagin1982:

OLAADEGBU ..There is an Old saying that says "Curiosity killed the Cat " Do not let your curiosity fool you

Some issues in the bible are better left for theologians to work and argue on but not for passer bys like us

I have read your write .you made sense at some point but lost it when you wanted to put it in your own way to condemn the Catholic Church and The Blessed Virgin Mary

Honestly you are ignorant of alot of things concerning life before Christ amd After the Death of Christ

Jesus Christ and the Blessed Mother were prefigured in the Old Testament even before Both of them came into the world ..
The parallels in the Old Testament and the New Testament is a branch of scripture study known as “typology”.   other words, events and people in the New Testament are prefigured by events and people in the Old Testament.

One such typology revolves around Revelation 12 and Genesis 37:9.  In Genesis, Joseph says,    "Behold, I have dreamed another dream; and behold, the sun, the moon, and eleven stars were bowing down to me." In Revelation 12:1, the scripture reads,    “And a great portent appeared in heaven, a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars.”  The obvious parallel is that the sun, the moon, and the eleven stars in Joseph’s dream represent his 11 brothers and all of Israel, while THE WOMAN in Revelation is adorned with these symbols of Israel.  So who is the “WOMAN”?  The first clue is the term “a great portent”. 

In Isaiah 7:14 in the Old Testament, it says,    “Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign. Behold a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son and his name shall be called Emmanuel.” The great portent of Revelation and the sign of Isaiah are one and the same – A Virgin who will give birth to the leader of Israel, Jesus Christ.  That woman is the Blessed Virgin Mary. 

The writer of the book of Revelation, St. John the Apostle, was given by Jesus on the cross to Mary as her son, and Mary was given to John as his Mother, in John 19:26-27.    This means that John knew Mary better than anyone, except for Jesus, and he is trying to tell us all something about her status in heaven. 

In the preceding verse, Revelation 11:19, John tells us that he sees the Ark of the Covenant. In the next verse, Revelation 12:1, he describes the Ark for us as “A woman clothed with the sun”, a term that could only mean the immaculately conceived Virgin Mary.  The rest of Revelation 12 talks about the enmity prefigured in Genesis 3:15 between the devil and THE WOMAN, and how satan can’t get to her.  In Revelation 12:17, it says that we are her children if we follow the commandments and bear testimony to Jesus.Mary is also seen as the new Eve. Whereas Eve listened to the devil Lucifer and obeyed him, bringing sin and damnation into the world, Mary listened to the angel Gabriel and obeyed him, thus bringing grace and salvation into the world in the form of Jesus Christ.  Mary and Jesus are forever linked together, just as Adam and Eve are.  Eve came forth from the side of Adam; Jesus came forth from the womb of Mary.  Eve was created immaculately and sinned; Mary was created immaculately and stayed sinless.  Thus Mary and her obedience to God overcame Eve’s disobedience to God.  And while Mary's parents, Anna and Joachim, were not immaculately conceived, Mary was, so that she would not pass on original sin (the devil had NO dominion over Jesus, ever) through the womb.  How can this be? Well, God is God, and he can create anything from nothing, merely through His Word at any time He so chooses.  Eve was the first woman immaculately created and sinned; Mary was the second woman immaculately created and did not sin.

I advice you seek salvation and leave issues that you know nothing about

My 2cents

"Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved" (Acts 4:12).

Only Jesus can save. Mary cannot save you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:04am On Oct 14, 2014
tete7000:

I really don't understand what you intend to achieve by this your post: Is it to make Catholics stop believing what they already have believe since ages past or is it to show and affirmed what you and your non-catholics colleagues never really believed? If the first question is your motive, you have failed and should the second be the motive, no need for this post as you people already hardened your heart and you won't even need this post.
Now back to your argument, I want you to know that all we know about God does not end with the bible for the bible itself says ' I will send you the Holy Spirit which will lead you to all truth' Now as far as Holy Spirit resides in the Church we will continue to be led into more revelations about God.
Do you believe that Jesus is God and man at the same time? His being man allow him to come down live and dine with us. His being God ensures that he never sinned. The scripture says that Christ represents the first Adam, does it not strike you that Mary represents the first Eve. Another part of the scripture says the serpent was told 'The son of the WOMAN shall bruise your head and you shall strike his heel' - this reasoning place Christ and Mary side by side. Again if Christ is God, does that not strike you that one who begot God is godly in nature? Can grape give birth to orange? One who begot God is godly in nature. Mary is the mother of God as Elizabeth affirmed in the scripture. This is what Catholic Church preaches and no matter what anyone thinks, this won't change. So OP leave this topic, nothing changes the truth Church has come to know.

If we are to follow your logic we should say that Mary gave birth to God therefore she is God, no? undecided

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:06am On Oct 14, 2014
redcliff:

Intercede and mediate are one and the same thing!!!!!!!@

God bless you. smiley

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:07am On Oct 14, 2014
Deepfreezer:

God bless us all.

Amen!

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:09am On Oct 14, 2014
dcaliph:

You are not sure he would find the world mercy in the Qur‘an?
You would take your pin head to be imagining things, later you would now say what you are not sure of.

Chapters of the Qur‘an begins with
“In the name of God most Gracious, most Merciful“.

If you are not sure of something, you better shut up.

Those Islamic terrorists definitely didn't find that word in the qu'ran unless you are saying it is only allah that is merciful. undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:12am On Oct 14, 2014
BAWSElady:

The OP is just slyly vying for a debate/intense argument with Catholics, I do not see any point in arguing with someone who has made up his mind in driving discord between religions,because I see no reason for his topic in the 1st place. @ OP, there are a lot of dire topics in need for our appraisal in Nigeria and I suggest you look for one and leave Our blessed Virgin Mary alone. Happy Sunday

If you feel that the OP will not make any impact on your eternal destiny then explain to us why. smiley

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by kulobyno: 10:17am On Oct 14, 2014
[b][/b][size=20pt][/size]These links will help you undersrand catholicism and their many heresies.

www.jesus-is-savior.com

www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Roman%20Catholicism/hail_mary_hail_satan.htm
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:20am On Oct 14, 2014
Malawian:

so if Christ had an immaculate conception, why does the vessel which bore Him purification? more importantly, why did He need to be baptised?
can we all see we can have this arguement in circles? i am a catholic. no appologies.

The question should be why didn't Mary's mother, grandmother and great grandmother have immaculate conception since their genetic information would have passed to Mary? Jesus was baptised to fulfil all righteousness not that He had sin to be washed away. This should tell you that water baptism does not wash your sins away it is just a public declaration of what you internally believe.

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:23am On Oct 14, 2014
idoncome:

a sinner who needed a saviour yet d saviour took fresh and was in d same sinner's womb for 9months.
its so awful to see what the devil is doing with you.

That is the miracle of the virgin birth we are talking about. cool

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:25am On Oct 14, 2014
Rich4god:

Jesus Christ was born of a woman... Does that make Him a sinner...

No, because He is fully God and perfect Man.

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:26am On Oct 14, 2014
solasola:

categorically, apart from Jesus. No other human that walked the earth was sinless/had no sin/perfect.

This can only be so because Jesus is the God/Man. smiley

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:41am On Oct 14, 2014
Poznan:

You just made me laugh. In your great understanding of English, the words Intercede and Mediate differ in terms of contention ascribed to the latter. Where in the bible have u read of Jesus, or any of the Christians of old, asking Mary to intercede before God? We don't need it. Prayer is talking to God. And you claim God is your father, whom, ironically, u cannot talk to.

So what is the role of Jesus in the equation. Mary intercedes, 'brings ur case to God, or comes between you and God', so what does Jesus do?

Good question. cheesy

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:48am On Oct 14, 2014
champman:

leave him alone,he is so naive and devoid of biblical tenets that he may perpetually remain an ignoramus(that's my fear).in line with what you said,they WORSHIP Mary more than they worship God(i pity thier souls and where they are heading for).in addition to your soul-saving write-up/post for which they(catholics)should be thanking you is the fact that they are IDOLATERS(no judging).this is because they mold frightening statutes of either Mary or Jesus(most often Mary) which they either kneel before or bow to.whereas the bible says in Exodus 20:3-5. “You shall have no other gods before me.
“You shall not make for yourself a carved
image, or any likeness of anything that is in
heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath,
or that is in the water under the earth. You
shall not bow down to them or serve them,
for I the Lord your God am a jealous God,
visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the
children to the third and the fourth generation
of those who hate me, but showing steadfast
love to thousands of those who love me and
keep my commandments.i bet you(catholics) to deny that the content of the verses above is obtainable in your misleading doctrine.THE STUBBORN FLY GOES WITH THE CORPSE INTO THE GRAVE.a word is enough for the wise,change from your perverse and heretic ways of worship simple.

Let us continue to pray for them to see gospel light.

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:49am On Oct 14, 2014
champman:

leave him alone,he is so naive and devoid of biblical tenets that he may perpetually remain an ignoramus(that's my fear).in line with what you said,they WORSHIP Mary more than they worship God(i pity thier souls and where they are heading for).in addition to your soul-saving write-up/post for which they(catholics)should be thanking you is the fact that they are IDOLATERS(no judging).this is because they mold frightening statutes of either Mary or Jesus(most often Mary) which they either kneel before or bow to.whereas the bible says in Exodus 20:3-5. “You shall have no other gods before me.
“You shall not make for yourself a carved
image, or any likeness of anything that is in
heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath,
or that is in the water under the earth. You
shall not bow down to them or serve them,
for I the Lord your God am a jealous God,
visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the
children to the third and the fourth generation
of those who hate me, but showing steadfast
love to thousands of those who love me and
keep my commandments.i bet you(catholics) to deny that the content of the verses above is obtainable in your misleading doctrine.THE STUBBORN FLY GOES WITH THE CORPSE INTO THE GRAVE.a word is enough for the wise,change from your perverse and heretic ways of worship simple.

Let us continue to pray for them to see gospel light and come to the knowledge of truth.

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Nobody: 10:49am On Oct 14, 2014
alliednetw:
[b][/b]

Oga keep your ignorance to yourself.
If we agree that kneeling and bowing amount to worship,then all those who kneel or bow before their elders,pastors,parents,kings,father-in-laws,judges etc are also involved in worship. Do you accept this?
...Exodus 20:4-5 ...'Thou shalt not MAKE unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.THOU SHALT NOT BOW THYSELF DOWN TO THEM, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me.'
Did you notice that we are not even to make any images.
Kneeling or bowing before elders in greeting or before clergy men when they pray for you is very very different from kneeling and bowing to an image and praying to it. Catholics actually pray to those things. When last did you kneel before your Mother, praying to her? grin

How does the look alike of the Monstrance and your picture of early sun worship make them similar?
Are both of same substance?
Is their any similarity in the theology behind both?
The monstrance can be made in any shape not neccesarily the one in your pix, do other shapes and designs also make it look like egyptian early sun worship?

They are not only similar, they are the same. Only a blind person wouldn't notice that. And I do not know the significance of the Monstrance to Christian worship. If you know it, please educate me. I was a Catholic and I'm pretty sure I know more than you know.

It is painful when slow minds attempt to ridicule with shallow points,what geniuses like Augustine of Hippo,Thomas Aquinas Francis of Assisi already confirmed and affirmed to be true,correct with the deepest of scholarship
If those "geniuses" affirmed the catholic doctrines to be true and correct and in agreement with the Bible, then I think they're slower than "slow minds".

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:58am On Oct 14, 2014
Laredojohn:

Op really like the way you treated the topic, never directed it at any one or denomination, but those that feel it applys to them are reacting, I believe this isn't a topic to argue, he has just given the real analysis, it's clear that Catholics will never accept, no matter the analysis, they will always find a way to back it up, with facts that do not exist, have had such arguments before and it ends up in abuses as its going on now.. OP you have made your point and we that know how right you are have accepted, let those that do not accept just keep quite rather than raising unnecessary arguments.

I know how strong tradition can be.

"Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye" (Mark 7:13).

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:05am On Oct 14, 2014
zenti99:

I pray for the soul of catholics every day i was once a catholic too.
Catholism is an infusion of the roman idolatry into christianity . The figure catholics potray as Mary is actually 'the queen of the heaven' an ancient babylonian goddess , the romans were very idolatrous they had numerous gods they dedicated various days to which are now the various saints day .
I can go on and on but it profits me nothing i pray God open their eyes soon

Amen!

2 Likes

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:07am On Oct 14, 2014
batista181:

OLAADEGBU: Am so disappointed IN u

Why?
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:10am On Oct 14, 2014
MrCyril:

are u senseless or u dnt understand simple english. It has been repeated over and over on this post that we don't worship Virgin Mary but honour Her. Read and understand before spitting out rubbish

Thanks for your contribution. God bless you. smiley
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:11am On Oct 14, 2014
bellisma:

I totally agree with the OP. I ll show my husband. Thanks. Please order your innjoo phones and get them delivered free nation wide 08171212666

God bless you.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:13am On Oct 14, 2014
sorom4:

The Op is high on old wine. Turning a mere understanding of the bible to soothe him

Are you saying that I need a sip of new wine?
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:16am On Oct 14, 2014
fridayj:

Der house can smone pls ans this " Can man really be perfect an sinless in all aspect?" I hv ask dis guestion but no perfect ans... i remember david a man after God's heart said "Oh lord if thou kepth all d wrong of men, who will stand.. her of nt for Grace ..........who will stand......ans d above guestion and trend close.... cheesy

We may not be perfect in knowledge but God expects us to be perfect in spirit.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:17am On Oct 14, 2014
donvidar:

My people perish because they lack knowledge

True. cry
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Nobody: 11:38am On Oct 14, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

If you feel that the OP will not make any impact on your eternal destiny then explain to us why. smiley
Cos my destiny lies in the able hands of God and no man's *smiles

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (31) (Reply)

Pastor Success Sunday Forced To Marry Fiancée's Corpse Who Died During Abortion / Photos From Prophet TB Joshua's Burial / What Is The Use Of The 7 Books Of Moses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.