Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,153 members, 7,818,483 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:04 PM

"What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" - Religion (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" (81629 Views)

What Does The Bible Say About Tattoos / Body Piercings? / Virgin Mary's Image Seen In Edo At St Benedicts Catholic Church In Ubiaja / What Does The Bible Say About Make-up? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Nobody: 12:12pm On Oct 14, 2014
alliednetw:

You live in denial!
Yes,All the books were written in 1st century. Were these books part of the Bible in the 1st century?
When Mark wrote his gospel account,did he include it in the Bible? How?
How and when did Paul's epistles become the Bible?
The books of NT were individual writings which were not in the scripture until the Church Fathers agreed to canonize a NT.
Facts exist on who,where,when & how this was done. That you are ignorant of this does not change anything. It only makes you a Liar.
The collection of books we know as the New Testament emerged in the late second century, A.D. The church leaders accepted books they believed were based on eyewitness accounts of the events narrated, while rejecting many other early Christian writings. Eventually, the 27 books which form the present New Testament, along with the Old Testament books, became the Christian Bible as we know it today. The New Testament canon was only formally adopted by the Synod of Carthage in 397 A.D.
So why are you making it sound as if they authored and collected the books together all in 397 AD?
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Nobody: 12:23pm On Oct 14, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Amen!
Do you wonder why Peter in I Peter 5:13 refers to the Church in Rome as "The Church that is at Babylon"?
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by damerry(m): 12:49pm On Oct 14, 2014
In this month of october (Month of Mary) .

I created an appopriate thread for this month but it never saw the light of frontpage, rather an hertical thread created by olaadegbu (catholic hater) made frontpage. Now seun talks about religious tolerance, is dis religious tolerance? I give up.

2 Likes

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by talk2chichi: 3:55pm On Oct 14, 2014
john365:

Did our LORD Jesus Christ sinned that HE needed to be Baptized? so whats wrong if our Blessed Mother Mary set the example of calling Our LORD her Saviour?
John let me add to your post. It shows that Mary is an humble Mother, she knows the son she gave birth to is the Saviour of the world, God favoured her by choosing her does not mean she should not obey or respect her Saviour who is also her Divine Son. And I know if it were to be one of our ladies of these days, we would disobey & disrespect JESUS CHRIST & also will find it difficult to call Him her Saviour, after all she would say "e no easy to be the Mother of the Saviour of the whole world, na my son". So do pentecostal's want Mary to disrespect her son (our LORD JESUS CHRIST)?
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by btoks: 6:07pm On Oct 14, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

If you knew what Jesus' mission was here on earth you will not be saying that miraculously creating wine in a wedding was one of them. Many folks have misconstrued the type of wine and ended up a sot.
Bros,bros, so what was the use of any of the miracles Jesus performed going by your logic?why did he multiply the loaves and fish,raise the dead etc?there is deeper meaning to these actions but sola scriptura lenses with no historical context robs its adherents of the full picture of the gospel. All because you're trying to belittle Mary's intercessory role you resort to downplaying Jesus' 1st miracle!!!
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by evablisse(f): 6:18pm On Oct 14, 2014
sheunfemix:
There is just too much dirt associated with the Catholic church. A church that embraces same sex marriage, why on earth should u want to continue in their doctrine. The church that has so much of satanic stories attached to it should be totally ignored. Darkness has nothing to do with light they are entirely separate. And until we christians come together as one in union our churches will not grow. Ever wondered why the muslims are growing so vast? They have a certain oneness that christians lack and if we don't open our hearts to the truth and follow Christ as a perfect example, not our Pastors or Bishops but Christ the muslims will constantly be a thorn in our flesh. Go directly to Christ, He tore the veil already leaving a clear path
about the same sex marriage, read well and stop misinterpreting articles. It's church of england(anglicans) and not catholics. I know u were once a catholic too. Anything u don't know or understand, pls ask than assuming.

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by alliednetw(m): 6:48pm On Oct 14, 2014
enigmaotr:

The collection of books we know as the New Testament emerged in the late second century, A.D. The church leaders accepted books they believed were based on eyewitness accounts of the events narrated, while rejecting many other early Christian writings. Eventually, the 27 books which form the present New Testament, along with the Old Testament books, became the Christian Bible as we know it today. The New Testament canon was only formally adopted by the Synod of Carthage in 397 A.D.
So why are you making it sound as if they authored and collected the books together all in 397 AD?

Oga.
Which xtian leaders did the acceptance?At what Council? When?Specific answers will help us arrive at truth.
Consider that each book was written as a single doc in diff places,times. Many Apostles & their succesors never saw/read most of these writings.Paul's letters were written to different communities. Most had no access to that of others.
Names of persons/places wil help
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by btoks: 6:58pm On Oct 14, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Neither Gen 3:15 nor angel Gabriel's proclamation say that Mary was immaculately born.
just as you believe that the holy spirit inspired the author of genesis, I believe the holy spirit inspired the church to give the correct interpretation of the passage. Also if you go to the Greek of angel Gabriel's proclamation it is interpreted -hail, full of grace. At what point do you think this was done?
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by btoks: 7:10pm On Oct 14, 2014
alliednetw:

Oga.
Which xtian leaders did the acceptance?At what Council? When?Specific answers will help us arrive at truth.
Consider that each book was written as a single doc in diff places,times. Many Apostles & their succesors never saw/read most of these writings.Paul's letters were written to different communities. Most had no access to that of others.
Names of persons/places wil help
I eagerly await a response to this onesmiley
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by sorom4: 8:13pm On Oct 14, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Are you saying that I need a sip of new wine?
I'm saying that you and the writer of that article are IGNORANT
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Jsaviour(f): 8:55pm On Oct 14, 2014
pls check this out, john19 verses25-27: Now there stood by the cross of Jesus His mother, and His mothers sister, Mary the wife of clopas, and mary Magdalene. when Jesus therefore saw His mother, and the disciple whom He loved standing by, He said to His mother, "woman, behold your son". then He said to the disciple, "behold your mother" and from that hour that disciple took her to his own home.
does this mean mary has other children and couldn't go back to her children that Jesus had to hand her over to this disciple??

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by godsveryown(f): 9:25pm On Oct 14, 2014
vonn:

Please how many times have u strtd and ended ur prayer session with ONLY The Lord's Prayer?
and were did d bible tell u to pray to mary? Did d bible ask u to tell her to intercede 4 u? Now to ur question, jesus showed us hw to pray first praising God,asking 4 his will,making our request(wat ever it mayb) and finally asking 4 4giveness while we hav 4givn odas. And my dear dats exactly hw I pray if u haven't being doing dat better drop dat rosary and start praying d right way.

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by godsveryown(f): 9:32pm On Oct 14, 2014
Ichiato:

Y do you think whatever is not in the bible is wrong?
d bible is a manual,a guide to right living so watever dat is not in it is authored by man and can stand correction so my dear wat ever dat is not authored by God is wrong,it has to conform wit His word for it to b true.my question to u now is does praying to mary and using d rosary and invoking all d saints in conformity wit d bible?

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Ifebazz(m): 9:42pm On Oct 14, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

It is good to share, isn't it? cheesy
Thou saith so.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by tete7000(m): 9:47pm On Oct 14, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

If we are to follow your logic we should say that Mary gave birth to God therefore she is God, no? undecided

I am not in a mood to be dragged into an argument with you. However, I want you to go and think about this: Mary giving birth to Jesus, did it happened by chance or was it something that had been in God's plan since the fall of man, most especially if you look at it from the perspective that God had long time ago told the serpent the Son of the WOMAN will strike its head? If God told Jeremiah that before your mother conceived you I know you, before you are born I consecrated you, how much more a person that was meant to be a Mother of God for Elizabeth filled with the HOLY SPIRIT exclaimed and called her 'The Mother of My LORD. St Paul talk about us mere Christians that we were chosen in Christ Jesus from the foundation of the earth, how much more a person from whom God was meant to assumed flesh. Mary was a vessel prepared by God to carry and nurture baby Jesus who is going to be sinless and God. If we inherit sin from our parents and Jesus didn't inherit sin from Mary, then she couldn't be a mere human. This is main reason why Jesus could not have been a product of copulation between two mortals but that of product of cooperation of the WOMAN, God and the Holy Spirit. Mary asked 'how could this happen for I am a virgin and the Angel told her 'The SPIRIT of the MOST HIGH will overshadow you and the child will be called Emmanuel - God with us, he will save his people from their sins'. Among all women, Mary in response to Elizabeth proclamation said all GENERATIONS will call me blessed. Remove the Catholics and down the generations line it will remain only people like you who wouldn't consider her worthy enough of being called blessed. Please I am no longer interested in this argument and don't be offended if I opt not to reply anymore. We are all free to believe what we like but as far as I am concerned 'Mary is immaculately conceived, she didn't happened to be Mary by chance and she is blessed above all women; of course she can't be blessed above all men because you have Jesus, the Son of man.

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Ifebazz(m): 10:08pm On Oct 14, 2014
godsveryown:
d bible is a manual,a guide to right living so watever dat is not in it is authored by man and can stand correction so my dear wat ever dat is not authored by God is wrong,it has to conform wit His word for it to b true.my question to u now is does praying to mary and using d rosary and invoking all d saints in conformity wit d bible?
Please does going to school or you using iPhone or Internet or forex trading appear in the bible too? I don't know why it is so hard for 'simple' minded people to grasp simple things. If God in His infinite wisdom had given you minds to think just a little outside the imaginary box, I wonder why so many fight to get back inside the same. I'm still waiting for someone here to show me where Law of Mass Action is 'specifically' stated in same bible since it now 'thinks' for us.
By inference, 'all' who do not read the bible shall rot in hell even if such ones (like the Muslim, Bahai, atheist, African religious worshipers etc) still do 'good deeds', ain't it Mr Show me where it is in the bible?
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by gloriana(f): 10:24pm On Oct 14, 2014
OLAADEGBU:
"My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour, for He has been mindful of the humble state of His servant. From now on all generations will call me blessed, for the Mighty One has done great things for me — holy is His name" (Luke 1:46-49).

This is the prayer Mary prayed. She said God my Saviour, meaning that she was a sinner saved by God. Do you see why we are not to worship her?

in wat way did God saved Mary? who is d saviour of d world? Jesus. Jesus Christ was yet to die for us b4 Mary made dat statement which mins she new a whole lot dat mere mortals dint no because of her grace. "She will crush d head of d serpent" in wat way?
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:37pm On Oct 14, 2014
BAWSElady:

Cos my destiny lies in the able hands of God and no man's *smiles

Then let the Bible be your final authority in all matters.

2 Likes

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by godsveryown(f): 10:37pm On Oct 14, 2014
Ifebazz:

Please does going to school or you using iPhone or Internet or forex trading appear in the bible too? I don't know why it is so hard for 'simple' minded people to grasp simple things. If God in His infinite wisdom had given you minds to think just a little outside the imaginary box, I wonder why so many fight to get back inside the same. I'm still waiting for someone here to show me where Law of Mass Action is 'specifically' stated in same bible since it now 'thinks' for us.
By inference, 'all' who do not read the bible shall rot in hell even if such ones (like the Muslim, Bahai, atheist, African religious worshipers etc) still do 'good deeds', ain't it Mr Show me where it is in the bible?
one tin u shuld knw is does all dat conform to d word of god?hw has d internet help ur growth and dis age spiritually?hw has education helped? Hw has forex helped? God has given us a guide to hw we shuld live. My dear talking abt pple who do good witout reading d pple going to hell, my dear if d bible wasn't so important 4 our christian journey god wuldnt have given it to us.self righteousness takes nobody anywhere close to heaven so dnt twist christianity to suit u.

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by gloriana(f): 10:40pm On Oct 14, 2014
OLAADEGBU:
"My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour, for He has been mindful of the humble state of His servant. From now on all generations will call me blessed, for the Mighty One has done great things for me — holy is His name" (Luke 1:46-49).

This is the prayer Mary prayed. She said God my Saviour, meaning that she was a sinner saved by God. Do you see why we are not to worship her?

I want to ask u. Y was Jesus Christ baptised? Not even by d Holy spirit but by a mere mortal who is not worthy to undo d strp of his sandal
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by godsveryown(f): 10:43pm On Oct 14, 2014
gloriana:
in wat way did God saved Mary? who is d saviour of d world? Jesus. Jesus Christ was yet to die for us b4 Mary made dat statement which mins she new a whole lot dat mere mortals dint no because of her grace. "She will crush d head of d serpent" in wat way?
wats ur point?
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Annstar(f): 10:43pm On Oct 14, 2014
ABEG MAKE UNA LEAVE THEIR MARY FOR THEM. IF THEY DROP AM, NA U GO CARRY AM?
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:48pm On Oct 14, 2014
enigmaotr:

Do you wonder why Peter in I Peter 5:13 refers to the Church in Rome as "The Church that is at Babylon"?

What gives you the impression that Paul had Rome in mind when he mentioned Babylon? Are they one and the same?
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by vonn(f): 10:48pm On Oct 14, 2014
godsveryown:
and were did d bible tell u to pray to mary? Did d bible ask u to tell her to intercede 4 u? Now to ur question, jesus showed us hw to pray first praising God,asking 4 his will,making our request(wat ever it mayb) and finally asking 4 4giveness while we hav 4givn odas. And my dear dats exactly hw I pray if u haven't being doing dat better drop dat rosary and start praying d right way.
Yea,dats d same way u ask ur pastor to pray for u. Why do you still nid his help when you can take it to the Lord directly in prayer. All nah intercession.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Ifebazz(m): 10:50pm On Oct 14, 2014
godsveryown:
one tin u shuld knw is does all dat conform to d word of god?hw has d internet help ur growth and dis age spiritually?hw has education helped? Hw has forex helped? God has given us a guide to hw we shuld live. My dear talking abt pple who do good witout reading d pple going to hell, my dear if d bible wasn't so important 4 our christian journey god wuldnt have given it to us.self righteousness takes nobody anywhere close to heaven so dnt twist christianity to suit u.
Well, you seem so sure of yourself, now tell me, how did 'this' bible come to be? You all seem so sure of 'Christianity' as the 'correct' faith, I know for sure it's is because you were born or raised that way, have you ever wondered if you are wrong once? Have you ever wondered if Islam or Hindu were the actually the right religions that you are only a christian cos mom or dad told you so? Dear don't assume so much cos whatever you think you know was told or handed over to you by someone. God alone knows the heart of men. Even those who read and sleep the bible are the ones corrupting the world more than the ones you criticise.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:55pm On Oct 14, 2014
damerry:

In this month of october (Month of Mary) .

I created an appopriate thread for this month but it never saw the light of frontpage, rather an hertical thread created by olaadegbu (catholic hater) made frontpage. Now seun talks about religious tolerance, is dis religious tolerance? I give up.

Is it just the month of Mary you are concerned about? What about the Qu'ran that devoted a whole chapter to Mary? undecided
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by godsveryown(f): 11:02pm On Oct 14, 2014
Ifebazz:

Well, you seem so sure of yourself, now tell me, how did 'this' bible come to be? You all seem so sure of 'Christianity' as the 'correct' faith, I know for sure it's is because you were born or raised that way, have you ever wondered if you are wrong once? Have you ever wondered if Islam or Hindu were the actually the right religions that you are only a christian cos mom or dad told you so? Dear don't assume so much cos whatever you think you know was told or handed over to you by someone. God alone knows the heart of men. Even those who read and sleep the bible are the ones corrupting the world more than the ones you criticise.
I can see u have ur doubts abt christianity and abt god wich brings me to blive dat u hav not had a personal encounter wit him and u dnt knw him because if anyone must come to him, he must first blive dat he is and u dnt.dat also means u have never heard him b4 or even recognize his voice. so wat are u talking abt?u dnt even blive in dis god.

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:06pm On Oct 14, 2014
btoks:

Bros,bros, so what was the use of any of the miracles Jesus performed going by your logic?why did he multiply the loaves and fish,raise the dead etc?there is deeper meaning to these actions but sola scriptura lenses with no historical context robs its adherents of the full picture of the gospel. All because you're trying to belittle Mary's intercessory role you resort to downplaying Jesus' 1st miracle!!!

Mary should have remembered that Jesus' mission was not to meet temporal social needs and certainly not to encourage sinful behaviour as she wanted more wine for the guests. The lesson you should take from Mary is that you should "Do whatever Jesus says."

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:12pm On Oct 14, 2014
btoks:

just as you believe that the holy spirit inspired the author of genesis, I believe the holy spirit inspired the church to give the correct interpretation of the passage. Also if you go to the Greek of angel Gabriel's proclamation it is interpreted -hail, full of grace. At what point do you think this was done?

The same God that gave Mary grace has given it to us all. Have you received it?

"For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works" (Titus 2:11-14)

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:13pm On Oct 14, 2014
sorom4:

I'm saying that you and the writer of that article are IGNORANT

Ignorant of what, your traditions? undecided

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by godsveryown(f): 11:14pm On Oct 14, 2014
vonn:

Yea,dats d same way u ask ur pastor to pray for u. Why do you still nid his help when you can take it to the Lord directly in prayer. All nah intercession.
didn't d bible warn against invoking d dead? Do u pray to ur pastor to intercede 4 u? Are u aware dat nobody goes to d fada except tru Jesus christ?why don't u ask moses or even david to pray 4 u?or devote a rosary session asking dem to pray 4 u?my dear all no b intercession o if not jesus wuld hav told us to pray either tru her or him to God

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:20pm On Oct 14, 2014
tete7000:

I am not in a mood to be dragged into an argument with you. However, I want you to go and think about this: Mary giving birth to Jesus, did it happened by chance or was it something that had been in God's plan since the fall of man, most especially if you look at it from the perspective that God had long time ago told the serpent the Son of the WOMAN will strike its head? If God told Jeremiah that before your mother conceived you I know you, before you are born I consecrated you, how much more a person that was meant to be a Mother of God for Elizabeth filled with the HOLY SPIRIT exclaimed and called her 'The Mother of My LORD. St Paul talk about us mere Christians that we were chosen in Christ Jesus from the foundation of the earth, how much more a person from whom God was meant to assumed flesh. Mary was a vessel prepared by God to carry and nurture baby Jesus who is going to be sinless and God. If we inherit sin from our parents and Jesus didn't inherit sin from Mary, then she couldn't be a mere human. This is main reason why Jesus could not have been a product of copulation between two mortals but that of product of cooperation of the WOMAN, God and the Holy Spirit. Mary asked 'how could this happen for I am a virgin and the Angel told her 'The SPIRIT of the MOST HIGH will overshadow you and the child will be called Emmanuel - God with us, he will save his people from their sins'. Among all women, Mary in response to Elizabeth proclamation said all GENERATIONS will call me blessed. Remove the Catholics and down the generations line it will remain only people like you who wouldn't consider her worthy enough of being called blessed. Please I am no longer interested in this argument and don't be offended if I opt not to reply anymore. We are all free to believe what we like but as far as I am concerned 'Mary is immaculately conceived, she didn't happened to be Mary by chance and she is blessed above all women; of course she can't be blessed above all men because you have Jesus, the Son of man.

It is called the virgin birth of our Lord Jesus Christ because the conception was supernatural and the embryo was planted in the womb of Mary to carry for 9 months by the Holy Spirit. It was free from any genetic information from either Joseph or Mary.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (31) (Reply)

Pastor Enoch Adeboye Reveals 2015 Prophecies / Pastor Success Sunday Forced To Marry Fiancée's Corpse Who Died During Abortion / Photos From Prophet TB Joshua's Burial

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.