Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,418 members, 7,819,509 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:22 PM

"What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" - Religion (29) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" (81643 Views)

What Does The Bible Say About Tattoos / Body Piercings? / Virgin Mary's Image Seen In Edo At St Benedicts Catholic Church In Ubiaja / What Does The Bible Say About Make-up? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by chysam: 11:54pm On Oct 21, 2014
SalC:
We know lying lips when we see them, grin oh really Catholics said that? Or is it sarcasm too grin

Please keep on laughing and don't change your face.I love that. Now answer the other question truthfully. Did jesus say john the baptist is greater than Mary or not?
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Orter(m): 4:10am On Oct 22, 2014
Have any one wondered how the writters of the scripture got the early stories of Jesus even after He has ascended.
Who must have nutured the church at that time?
Mary is more blessed for she listens to her son and meditate(ponder) on tHis words keeping them to herself.
Where were his brothers when he gave his Mother to John the Beloved?
Jesus is both Perfectly God and Man. Mary mother of Jesus is all inclusive
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by vest(m): 7:43am On Oct 22, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

I agree to disagree with them on this point. The Scriptures cannot be broken.
if www.gotquesion.com cud be wrong on dis issus den i can nt trust them on others they might also b wrong too.
imagin the numb of ppl they are misleading telling them that taking beer is nt a sin!
what abt www.jesus-the-saviour.com u ppl quote from shuld we also trust dir interpretation on this?? although they condem penticostalim.

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by vest(m): 8:00am On Oct 22, 2014
is this the so called lite he saw?? a man made lights that dnt last(candle,bulb) and left the 1 God made the one light that never goes out(sun)

this is beauti of my faith i can quote from any true catholic site in mattas of faith and moral cus its one and univasal bt protestANT can't
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by SalC: 8:03am On Oct 22, 2014
chysam:

Please keep on laughing and don't change your face.I love that. Now answer the other question truthfully. Did jesus say john the baptist is greater than Mary or not?
You just did what you could have done before now instead of letting me expose you the more, its good you avoided the other post. cheesy

To your question, i never knew Jesus was rating John the baptist and his Mother Mary, maybe I missed it, you can tell me if you don't mind though I doubt I will have to take you serious and not consider your post sarcasm as usual after reading many "sarcastic lies" from you smiley

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by chysam: 10:41am On Oct 22, 2014
[quote author=Orter post=27345050]Have any one wondered how the writters of the scripture got the early stories of Jesus even after He has ascended.
Who must have nutured the church at that time?
Mary is more blessed for she listens to her son and meditate(ponder) on tHis words keeping them to herself.
Where were his brothers when he gave his Mother to John the Beloved?
Jesus is both Perfectly God and Man. Mary mother of Jesus is all inclusive[/quote

firstly you did not answer my question.Please in a simple straight answer do.
Again you raised a very vital question that is worthy of note regarding how the writers got the early story of Christ even after his ascension.Jesus' story in relation to john the baptist was when he was about 30years of age.These same writers wrote the story of jesus' birth and his relationship with Mary which catholics cherish so much and would die defending it. Ok,my brother can you now tell us how these writers got the story of jesus' birth and Mary?.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by chysam: 10:56am On Oct 22, 2014
SalC:
You just did what you could have done before now instead of letting me expose you the more, its good you avoided the other post. cheesy

To your question, i never knew Jesus was rating John the baptist and his Mother Mary, maybe I missed it, you can tell me if you don't mind though I doubt I will have to take you serious and not consider your post sarcasm as usual after reading many "sarcastic lies" from you smiley

Am surprised your laughter diminished at this juncture.But denying a known fact is something I can't comprehend.I suppose you have a bible don't know?. Anyway you probably don't. Incase you don't,go check it up from the bible of those who have. Jesus said that among anyone born of a woman(that is through natural means),john the baptist is greatest. Are you aware of that now?.

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by SalC: 12:42pm On Oct 22, 2014
chysam:

Am surprised your laughter diminished at this juncture.But denying a known fact is something I can't comprehend.I suppose you have a bible don't know?. Anyway you probably don't. Incase you don't,go check it up from the bible of those who have. Jesus said that among anyone born of a woman(that is through natural means),john the baptist is greatest. Are you aware of that now?.
Bros I am laughing grin and have no reason to let it diminish cheesy grin sorry about that grin

Well Jesus said of all born of a woman, non is greater than John. I also know Jesus is born of a woman, are you now saying John is greater than Jesus or is this sarcasm also grin

2 Likes

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:55pm On Oct 22, 2014
vest:

if www.gotquesion.com cud be wrong on dis issus den i can nt trust them on others they might also b wrong too.
imagin the numb of ppl they are misleading telling them that taking beer is nt a sin!
what abt www.jesus-the-saviour.com u ppl quote from shuld we also trust dir interpretation on this?? although they condem penticostalim.

You don't have to throw the baby out with the bath water. Put your trust in the Word of God that cannot fail not your human tradition.

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by btoks: 2:12pm On Oct 22, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

You don't have to throw the baby out with the bath water. Put your trust in the Word of God that cannot fail not your human tradition.
The issue isn't with the Word of God (Oral or Written), the issue is with the interpretation and what the true faith is. This is why guidance is required.
I don't believe it's the Holy spirit that has led to countless competing denominations over the years, this has been caused by every man thinking he has the correct interpretation without Historical Context or guidance of the church.

Look back to Acts 15 - you'll see how the church works.

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by btoks: 3:08pm On Oct 22, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

The oral tradition Paul talked about is the same thing as what is written in Scriptures. Holy men of God were used to pen down the Scriptures and apostle John was the last apostle who wrote the last book. After this there is no more revelation, all else are illumination on what God has written in the 66 books by the prophets and apostles. If your church tradition contradicts or adds to what is written in the oracle of God that would mean that it should be discarded otherwise you will be placing yourself under a curse as stated in Scriptures.
Obviously, the CC and E Orthodox disagrees with your incomplete number of 66 books but agrees there is no new revelation. The fact that you even know these books or that John wrote the last book is down to tradition. It was church tradition that helped select the books for the bible. For a while some churches had some books and not others. Some even had books that didn't get into the bible. All the while being guided by church.
Christianity did not start as a religion of the book only, it started when Jesus sent the Apostles out to teach what they had learnt, baptising etc - Sending down the Holy spirit on Pentecost and saying the Holy spirit will lead the church to all truth. Before Paul came into play, how did the church function?
There were a number of events that took place that didn't get recorded but it doesn't mean they are not as valid - This is why they are called sacred tradition. This is why the CC goes to the early church fathers to see what they said and how the faith was practiced. E.g. List of bishops, how to baptise, who Jesus actually was (you do realise that the Jews still don't accept Jesus as the Messiah), this is why it's not simply about everybody reading the bible without the tradition (the context)
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:14pm On Oct 22, 2014
btoks:

The issue isn't with the Word of God (Oral or Written), the issue is with the interpretation and what the true faith is. This is why guidance is required.
I don't believe it's the Holy spirit that has led to countless competing denominations over the years, this has been caused by every man thinking he has the correct interpretation without Historical Context or guidance of the church.

Look back to Acts 15 - you'll see how the church works.

The Scriptures interpretes itself, it is that dynamic. All it takes is for you to be willing to know and obey the truth.

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:22pm On Oct 22, 2014
btoks:

Obviously, the CC and E Orthodox disagrees with your incomplete number of 66 books but agrees there is no new revelation. The fact that you even know these books or that John wrote the last book is down to tradition. It was church tradition that helped select the books for the bible. For a while some churches had some books and not others. Some even had books that didn't get into the bible. All the while being guided by church.
Christianity did not start as a religion of the book only, it started when Jesus sent the Apostles out to teach what they had learnt, baptising etc - Sending down the Holy spirit on Pentecost and saying the Holy spirit will lead the church to all truth. Before Paul came into play, how did the church function?
There were a number of events that took place that didn't get recorded but it doesn't mean they are not as valid - This is why they are called sacred tradition. This is why the CC goes to the early church fathers to see what they said and how the faith was practiced. E.g. List of bishops, how to baptise, who Jesus actually was (you do realise that the Jews still don't accept Jesus as the Messiah), this is why it's not simply about everybody reading the bible without the tradition (the context)

The Holy Spirit saw to it that all His inspired Words were compiled and collated. The church for instance had nothing to do with the Hebrew Bible, it was already compiled and that is what our Lord Jesus and His apostles read. The apostles by the leading of the Holy Spirit concluded the rest making up to 66. Any person calling himself a church father that writes anything outside the inspired Scriptures and calls them the Word of God is a deceiver. Any other book can be written but it still remains the words of man which is subject to error.

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Proffdada: 4:22pm On Oct 22, 2014
these people have been worshiping Lilith and renamed her virgin Mary.

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by vest(m): 9:32pm On Oct 22, 2014
Proffdada:
Lilith!!
Na Wa Oh!

From Queen Of The Coast To Venus To Isitar Nw Lili
Ok Oh!

@ Ola I Would Love To See You Open A Thread On Taking Alchole Mayb This Time I Wil B The 1 Quoting From Ur Gotquesion.Com
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by btoks: 11:53pm On Oct 22, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

The Scriptures interpretes itself, it is that dynamic. All it takes is for you to be willing to know and obey the truth.
This is not entirely true.What you believe is scriptures interpreting itself is actually each person bringing their own traditional filter when looking at scriptures.this is why you get different doctrines on the big issues among calvanists,Lutherans,Methodists,innumerable pentecostals etc.
just look at this thread for instance;you believe drinking alcohol is sinful but this contradicts your fellow sola scriptura adherents' interpretation.
Talk less of issues like abortion, contraception,Trinity,eucharist,evolution,tithes etc.
As I've stated before,this is why a guide is needed(the church) to give judgement on these matters.you get an example of this in written scriptures when judgement was made on the issue Circumcision or not for gentiles.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by btoks: 12:14am On Oct 23, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

The Holy Spirit saw to it that all His inspired Words were compiled and collated. The church for instance had nothing to do with the Hebrew Bible, it was already compiled and that is what our Lord Jesus and His apostles read. The apostles by the leading of the Holy Spirit concluded the rest making up to 66. Any person calling himself a church father that writes anything outside the inspired Scriptures and calls them the Word of God is a deceiver. Any other book can be written but it still remains the words of man which is subject to error.
you're only able to state this with the benefit of living many centuries after the disputes and debates. The holy spirit was certainly at play but you're downplaying the role of the church in making things happen. The fact is the NT books were written decades after the event over a long period. You have mentioned a few times that John wrote the last book, however, what you do not see from him is a table of contents for the bible.this was done much later.
You go on about the Hebrew Bible, you are aware that there were other canons at the time e.g the Septugiant. Just so we are clear,the Jews rejected the NT as they didn't believe Jesus was the Messiah.
The church fathers explained the Christian faith as they understood it based on scriptures and sacred tradition. Any opinion that didn't fall in line with established teaching was condemned by the church.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by chysam: 3:32am On Oct 23, 2014
SalC:
Bros I am laughing grin and have no reason to let it diminish cheesy grin sorry about that grin

Well Jesus said of all born of a woman, non is greater than John. I also know Jesus is born of a woman, are you now saying John is greater than Jesus or is this sarcasm also grin

I would rather say good question and not otherwise.Pass your comment regarding the statement in the bracket and then answer the below questions.
You believe Jesus is God don't you?.Can God be killed?.
Are the people he died for greater than him?
Furthermore,Christ was talking from a superior point of view while addressing his followers who knew he was not an ordinary person.That comment was for those whose conception were natural but his was supernatural.Others had a complete natural biological circle of procreation but his wasn't so.To answer your question therefore,he never meant that john the baptist was greater than him.But greater than every other person asides him.in any case if you chose to credit such meaning to Jesus,it is up to you.Our focal point not to digress is that Jesus said John the baptist is greater than Mary and everyone else going by that statement.if your opinion is that he is greater than both of them,that means you still agree that john the baptist is greater than Mary.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:04pm On Oct 23, 2014
btoks:

This is not entirely true.What you believe is scriptures interpreting itself is actually each person bringing their own traditional filter when looking at scriptures.this is why you get different doctrines on the big issues among calvanists,Lutherans,Methodists,innumerable pentecostals etc.
just look at this thread for instance;you believe drinking alcohol is sinful but this contradicts your fellow sola scriptura adherents' interpretation.
Talk less of issues like abortion, contraception,Trinity,eucharist,evolution,tithes etc.
As I've stated before,this is why a guide is needed(the church) to give judgement on these matters.you get an example of this in written scriptures when judgement was made on the issue Circumcision or not for gentiles.

The Holy Spirit will guide and He will not contradict what He has inspired in the Scriptures.

"Howbeit when He, the Spirit of truth, is come, He will guide you into all truth: for He shall not speak of Himself; but whatsoever He shall hear, that shall He speak: and He will shew you things to come"(John 16:13).
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:10pm On Oct 23, 2014
Idol toppled in church amid screams. shocked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L8rcgP_jJY
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Proffdada: 7:07am On Oct 24, 2014
OLAADEGBU:
Idol toppled in church amid screams. shocked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L8rcgP_jJY
lol!!! statue of DAGON had same treatment
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Nobody: 7:55am On Oct 24, 2014
rant as you like the fact remains that sola scripture is unbiblical and the books of the bible are not 66 but 73

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Nobody: 7:57am On Oct 24, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

you are on a fools erand.The catholic church comiled the bible and selected the 73 books in it.The holy spirit acts through people and in this casehe church fathers.The books of the bible are not 66 but 73.

2 Likes

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by btoks: 10:04am On Oct 24, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

The Holy Spirit will guide and He will not contradict what He has inspired in the Scriptures.

"Howbeit when He, the Spirit of truth, is come, He will guide you into all truth: for He shall not speak of Himself; but whatsoever He shall hear, that shall He speak: and He will shew you things to come"(John 16:13).
Oh yes the CC believes this. Where it disagrees with you is where you think every Ola, Emeka & Danjuma can pick up the bible and erroneously interpret passages without historical context.
Without wanting to sound like a broken record, this is what has led to countless Christian Denominations, each believing it has the correct interpretation/doctrines.
Jesus set it up a particular way by creating a Church with the Holy Spirit to guide it. It is that church which has authority to bind and loose etc.

2 Likes

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by chysam: 3:31pm On Oct 24, 2014
btoks:

Oh yes the CC believes this. Where it disagrees with you is where you think every Ola, Emeka & Danjuma can pick up the bible and erroneously interpret passages without historical context.
Without wanting to sound like a broken record, this is what has led to countless Christian Denominations, each believing it has the correct interpretation/doctrines.
Jesus set it up a particular way by creating a Church with the Holy Spirit to guide it. It is that church which has authority to bind and loose etc.

On the contrary young man,the Catholic doesn't believe in Christ's teachings.Infact the are grossly against his ideologies and attach him verbally till date.Jesus has received the greatest insults from no other one but the catholics.Their teachings are 100% blasphemous always and it becomes increasingly difficult to understand where they belong.They shout jesus with you in the open but behind consult something else for their protection and assistant. Why must a sensible person pay homage and be a subject to some one who calls himself a VICAR FIEL DEI?. Meaning christ transformed and in mist of people right now.Why must someone be a subject to a person who claims he can forgive sins of people?. Even jesus whose claim to this is a reality suffered gruesomely for this statement,how much more a sinful mortal?.it makes no sense claimng the bible is a million book write up and not 66. The bottom line is that you don't even believe in the 66 you agree also make up the Torah and the injil.Read the story of Daniel and Revelation very well and you will sincerely see who a catholic truly is.He is very very far away from Yeshua.Perhaps you are one of the guys on the sideline of that faith constantly deceived as has been the case since inception,but let me correct thia wrong notion today.RCC is neither the first church on earth nor Peter a pope at all not even to talk of being the first pope.The church has been inexistence in Israel long belong the RCC was formed in Rome.What actually happened was that like a fake christian group they were and still are,the formed a strong ally with the Roman government who were the world powers of that time to receive authority to head christian religious groups.In the process compromising the principles of Yeshua and adopted the idol worships of the Romans which they inculcated into their teachings.They agreed to this as a solidarity exhibition to the political government in power.It was the catholic that truly changed the Sabbath day of worship to Sunday which serves as a day to honour the Roman sungod.The twisted the original ten commandments substituting it with their own version.Deceived their followers into beleiving that Pope is Jesus and can perform in his stead here on earth.The RCC vices are so so innumerable and their attempts at covering them up is always the reasons for their misinterpretation of the bible and baseless/meaningless arguments on biblical issues and accounts.Ask a catholic to give you quotation from his own bible it becomes a problem.The pentecostal bible is corrupted,it is not up to 73 books ect.Agreed,now refer us to your own bible and show us where we can read all the accounts causing arguments.After reading them,we now draw comparison and see if any bible is meaningful without the account of Jesus christ.We also will try to see if any bible makiong jesus equal to any man is from the holy spirit as you mentioned here.And so many other controversial issues to be looked up and then we conclusively see who is for or ANTICHRIST indeed.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:25pm On Oct 28, 2014
Proffdada:

The earlier they smell the coffee the better it will be for them. undecided
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:28pm On Oct 28, 2014
vest:

Lilith!!
Na Wa Oh!

From Queen Of The Coast To Venus To Isitar Nw Lili
Ok Oh!

@ Ola I Would Love To See You Open A Thread On Taking Alchole Mayb This Time I Wil B The 1 Quoting From Ur Gotquesion.Com

Where have you been? Check it out here. ==> https://www.nairaland.com/811373/very-good-wine
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:42pm On Oct 28, 2014
btoks:

Going by your line of reason, you might as well say that the JW's, Mormons and other cults are justified in using their books to interpret the Bible. You don't need any traditional filter such as your church tradition if they contradict what's written in the Holy Scriptures what you need is an intimate relationship with the author of the Scriptures and it's only Him that can interpret it to you as you prayerfully read, study, meditate on it before you can begin to apply it to life situations.

"Howbeit when He, the Spirit of truth, is come, He will guide you into all truth: for He shall not speak of Himself; but whatsoever He shall hear, that shall He speak: and He will shew you things to come" (John 16:13).

The apostles where guided into the truth and penned it down for us to peruse and study and to be guided by. The Church is built on this truth for on Christ the solid rock we stand, all other ground is sinking sand.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:59pm On Oct 28, 2014
btoks:

you're only able to state this with the benefit of living many centuries after the disputes and debates. The holy spirit was certainly at play but you're downplaying the role of the church in making things happen. The fact is the NT books were written decades after the event over a long period. You have mentioned a few times that John wrote the last book, however, what you do not see from him is a table of contents for the bible.this was done much later.

The Word of God was not arrived at after disputes and debates. The Holy Spirit used holy men of God to pen down His Words and He did not leave it up to our own private interpretation. All the God breathed words were written close to the time they were uttered and not decades after as your church asserts.

"Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost" (2 Peter 1:20-21).

btoks:

You go on about the Hebrew Bible, you are aware that there were other canons at the time e.g the Septugiant. Just so we are clear,the Jews rejected the NT as they didn't believe Jesus was the Messiah.
The church fathers explained the Christian faith as they understood it based on scriptures and sacred tradition. Any opinion that didn't fall in line with established teaching was condemned by the church.

You keep saying the Jews rejected the NT. Who were the apostles God used in writing the NT, where they not Jews? The Septuagint was just an Hebrew translation of the OT into Greek as that was the language of the day. The so called church fathers that you base your faith are those who wrote decades after the event and they were far from the truth if they wrote anything contrary to the 66 books of the Bible. If the Roman catholic church followed what was written in the Holy Scriptures they would not be saying you believe anything that is not supported by Scriptures.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:05pm On Oct 28, 2014
Proffdada:

lol!!! statue of DAGON had same treatment

I wonder why they are in a state of denial, saying that they do not worship "Mary." If this is not worship then I don't know what it is. undecided

"Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me" (Exodus 20:4-5).
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:09pm On Oct 28, 2014
chukwudi44:

rant as you like the fact remains that sola scripture is unbiblical and the books of the bible are not 66 but 73

Tell us what the additional seven books are and show us how they are supported by the 66 books?
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:11pm On Oct 28, 2014
chukwudi44:

you are on a fools erand.The catholic church comiled the bible and selected the 73 books in it.The holy spirit acts through people and in this casehe church fathers.The books of the bible are not 66 but 73.

I can show you the criteria used in selecting the 66 books can you do the same for your 7 additional books?

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (Reply)

Pastor Success Sunday Forced To Marry Fiancée's Corpse Who Died During Abortion / Photos From Prophet TB Joshua's Burial / What Is The Use Of The 7 Books Of Moses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.