Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,901 members, 7,817,669 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:51 PM

Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar (24754 Views)

Most Funniest Nigerian Actor (aki&pawpaw, Osuofia, Mr Ibu) / Which Actor or Actress Would You Rather Dine With? / Who is your Favorite Nigerian Movie Star? (actor or actress) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by phrezzz: 7:48pm On Sep 06, 2014
So i was just watching the movie 12YearsASlave. Am not much of a movie freak so you would understand my slowness in watching this movie at this time. The script to the acting to the directing was so on point. Was very proud (Did my research that Narthop Solomon) was a Nigeria-British actor but what drew my awesomeness for the film was Lupita Nyong'o the Kenya Beauty. Her interpreting the Role was Superb. The whipping scene was class shoutout to Mcqueen. And i most totally say she deserves the oscar award. For a second i tried to match any Nollywood Actress who could have acted as Pasty and brought in so much life to the character.

7 Likes

Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by echobee(f): 7:53pm On Sep 06, 2014
Them never born d actor or actress lipsrsealed

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by Dymondgurl(f): 7:59pm On Sep 06, 2014
Nse Ikpe Etim

136 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by Guykhena(m): 8:10pm On Sep 06, 2014
Is this a joke or what?

2 Likes

Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by Nobody: 8:12pm On Sep 06, 2014
@OP
absolutely and categorically NONE!!!!!
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by dahmie2013: 8:15pm On Sep 06, 2014
None! My Leonardo Dicapirio hasn't won any embarassed embarassed, even after acting dat super The Avaitor, in short oscar, dia ris Godoooooo! Nywys, he's releasing 5 block busters next year, let's see if oscar won't give him d award after so many yrs of denial.

Its only possible thru juju!

6 Likes

Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by VillageBoi(m): 1:01am On Sep 07, 2014
Given the right material, right acting tuition and right directing I'll say pretty much ANY of them can. Not that it's important.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by prof800(m): 2:01am On Sep 07, 2014
VillageBoi:
Given the right material, right acting tuition and right directing I'll say pretty much ANY of them can. Not that it's important.
Where on planet earth have you been?

@phrezzz...
Winning an Oscar or not winning an Oscar is not important...
...but to answer your question, "Any Nigerian actor CAN actually win the Oscars."

It is not a difficult feat and I wouldn't want to discuss the clumsy fuzz.

Adepero Oduye also acted in 12 years a slave and her performance was top notch as well.
She featured as 'Eliza'.
Watch her perfomance here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utBKmU1TJIg
[img]http://knightleyemma.files./2013/12/12-yrs-eliza.jpg[/img]

...she is a Nigerian-American actress and she is more experienced than Lupita. See her IMDb page here:http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1323822/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t17
...we all know why she didn't get a nomination. (same reason Halle Berry won her first Oscars lipsrsealed )

[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNw-IJDwhbJhICMW6TNXp3TzM5NG0yRDLi6_yzryvPL0mJR2SubaR-7w[/img]

pretty ain't she?

If she was given the 'Patsey' role played by Lupita, I'm pretty sure she would have killed that role.

If you're referring to Nollywood actors then I believe there are even Tones of talents on the street that can deliver that role clean.

Also...
Besides Adepero Oduye, There are loads of other Nigerian actors and actresses presently in Hollywood and they can get lucky in winning the Oscars someday.

Some of the actors of Nigerian origin in Hollywood are:

Triple A
www.nairaland.com/attachments/670499_adewale_akinnuoye_agbaje_jpg70a74cd164b25029e22a3db6899c8c4f

Osas Ighodaro (Cadillac records, 2008)
www.nairaland.com/attachments/670680_Osas_Ighodaro_jpg57f63b77ee21bea334af250a067e6fb1

Uzo Aduba (from Orange is the new Black)

Dayo Okeniyi
[img]http://hungergamesfandom.files./2012/03/thg-atlanta-small.jpg?w=549&h=411[/img]

and most recently our one and only Stephanie Okereke Linus

https://www.nairaland.com/1824374/stephannie-okereke-plays-slave-hollywood

visit this thread to see more:https://www.nairaland.com/902363/talking-hollywood-moviestars-nigerian-origin

Adepero's 'let me cry'. sad

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by Nobody: 7:44am On Sep 07, 2014
in addition...

Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje
1. Bourne Identity
2. The Mummy Returns
3. The Legionnaire (With Jean-Claude Van damme)
4. Get Rich or Die Tryin’ (With Curtis Jackson a.k.a. 50 cent)
5. Unstoppable
6. GI Joe: The Rise of the Cobra
7. The LOST series
8. The NEWYORK UNDERCOVER series

Hakeem Kae Kazim
The Pirate of the Carribeans: At World’s End, Hotel Rwanda, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, The Fourth Kind.

Chiwetel Ejiofor
Amistad, 12 Years a Slave, Dirty Pretty Things, Salt, End Game, Inside Man, Four Brothers and Mind Games
Gbenga Akinnagbe

Caroline Chikezie
1. Eragon
2. Aeon Flux
3. Breaking and Entering
4. The SUPERNATURAL TV series
5. The TORCHWOOD TV series

Edun Adetomiwa

1. Shakespeares Globe: Romeo and Juliet
2. The MERLIN TV Series
3. The LAW AND ORDER: UK TV series

Sophie Okonedo
1. Aeon Flux
2. Hotel Rwanda
3. Alex Rider: Operation Storm Breaker
4. Ace Ventura
5. Dirty Pretty Things
6. Martian Child

Sonni Chidiebere
1. Hotel Rwanda
2. Blood Diamond
3. District 9
4. Lord of War

David Oyelowo

1. The fighting Temptations
2. Concrete Brown
3. Unforgiven Sins
4. Somebodies
Adepero Oduye
John Boyega
“Moses” in the indie-hit Attack the Block
Half of a yellow sun
Judith “Judi” Shekoni
Zafrina in the The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2, Garfield 2, EastEnders.
Annie Ilonzeh

1. Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightening Thief
2. He's Not Just That into You
3. Miss March

Dayo Okeniyi
Hunger Games
Runner Runner with Justin Timberlake and Ben Affleck.
NONSO ANOZIE
1. Conan the Barbarian
2. The Grey
3. Rock and Rolla
4. Nanny Mcphee Returns
5. The Last Legion

NDOKA VALENTINE NDUBISI

1. The fighting Temptations
2. Concrete Brown
3. Unforgiven Sins
4. Somebodies

Okay...That is all for now but you can check out these beautiful lovely ladies watch for sale ....
Contact me on
BBM 7 9 4 F E E 1 0
WHATSAPP/CALL 0815 326 4902

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by Idrismusty97(m): 7:44am On Sep 07, 2014
Him!
Or Mr Ibu

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by eemalex(m): 7:44am On Sep 07, 2014
Guess our politicians could do so

2 Likes

Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by Wolison(m): 7:44am On Sep 07, 2014
Typing.....................
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by JojoArmani(m): 7:45am On Sep 07, 2014
Hmm
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by Nobody: 7:45am On Sep 07, 2014
O Really... if i hear say any ACTOR/ACTRESS win Oscar Award, make i bend like copper wire cheesy
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by bonechamberlain(m): 7:45am On Sep 07, 2014
maybe OLU Jacobs...

5 Likes

Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by captaindelicious(f): 7:46am On Sep 07, 2014
dont know about actors or actress,but can say about director which i believe to Kunle Afolayan and therefore any actor or actress that plays his/her role well in any of his movies.
Can't wait for 'october 1'

5 Likes

Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by datguru: 7:46am On Sep 07, 2014
Me , I and myself
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by Nobody: 7:46am On Sep 07, 2014
Genevieve and Nse.

10 Likes

Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by timilehing(m): 7:47am On Sep 07, 2014
Nigerian movie stars can actually win Oscar award but not those that are in nollywood.

Watch "4400", see What Isabelle did in that movie. She was fantastic & a Nigerian she was

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by Nobody: 7:48am On Sep 07, 2014
oscar ke...
shey with this kind of crappy movies most dey make
maybe in the world to come
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by oliidell(m): 7:48am On Sep 07, 2014
Winning an Oscar (American Academy Award) entails so many things which include:
Breaking into the American movie industry-Hollywood,
Being cast in a lead or supporting role of a critically acclaimed, commercially successful movie,
The movie being nominated for that category,
The Actor/Actress eventually winning it.

For a Nigerian Actor, it would take immense talent and near perfect spoken english-cos that's the easiest foreign language to master in Nigeria.

For Actors who have broken into Hollywood, here are my prospectives:
Chiwetal Ejiofor
Hakeem Kae Kasim
Gbenga Akinnagbe
Sophie Okonedo
Antonia Okonma
Dayo Okeniyi
Hope Olaide Wilson

For Nollywood Actors, the following have a decent shot;
Genevieve Nnaji
Olu Jacobs
Funso Adeolu
Kunle Afolayan
Omoni Oboli
Tomi Odunsi
Joe Ben
Nse Ikpe Etim

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by weazzy(m): 7:49am On Sep 07, 2014
NONE
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by benkings(m): 7:50am On Sep 07, 2014
Mr Ibu will definitely Win an oscargrin
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by Noelle01: 7:50am On Sep 07, 2014
Nse Ikpe Etim all the way. That babe is good!

3 Likes

Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by TRADELYN: 7:51am On Sep 07, 2014
grin Alibaba grin

*Researching...*
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by Nobody: 7:51am On Sep 07, 2014
Mr. IBU

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

All The Zombie Horror Fans - The Walking Dead (AMC's epic series) [Season 2) / GOTV Or STARTIMES, Which Is Better? / BBNaija: I’m Not Playing Games With You – Emmanuel Tells Liquorose

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.