Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,321 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:19 AM

Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar (24753 Views)

Most Funniest Nigerian Actor (aki&pawpaw, Osuofia, Mr Ibu) / Which Actor or Actress Would You Rather Dine With? / Who is your Favorite Nigerian Movie Star? (actor or actress) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by Nobody: 8:52am On Sep 07, 2014
oliidell: Winning an Oscar (American Academy Award) entails so many things which include:
Breaking into the American movie industry-Hollywood,
Being cast in a lead or supporting role of a critically acclaimed, commercially successful movie,
The movie being nominated for that category,
The Actor/Actress eventually winning it.

For a Nigerian Actor, it would take immense talent and near perfect spoken english-cos that's the easiest foreign language to master in Nigeria.

For Actors who have broken into Hollywood, here are my prospectives:
Chiwetal Ejiofor
Hakeem Kae Kasim
Gbenga Akinnagbe
Sophie Okonedo
Antonia Okonma
Dayo Okeniyi
Hope Olaide Wilson

For Nollywood Actors, the following have a decent shot;
Genevieve Nnaji
Olu Jacobs
Funso Adeolu
Kunle Afolayan
Omoni Oboli
Tomi Odunsi
Joe Ben
Nse Ikpe Etim
no pete edochie and mercy Johnson or even Rita Dominic.. This is crap

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by MizzD: 8:52am On Sep 07, 2014
sholay2011: Bimbo Akintola

Nse Ikpe Etim

Ramsey Noah

Gabriel Afolayan

I am not so convinced about gabriel afolayan, but the other 3 interpret roles flawlessly. They are raw talents mehn.
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by JbravoAdodger(m): 8:52am On Sep 07, 2014
dahmie2013: None! My Leonardo Dicapirio hasn't won any embarassed embarassed, even after acting dat super The Avaitor, in short oscar, dia ris Godoooooo! Nywys, he's releasing 5 block busters next year, let's see if oscar won't give him d award after so many yrs of denial.

Its only possible thru juju!

Even if he nvr wins, I'm sure he'll get an hononary academy award at the end of his illustrious career.

Anyway I nominate tonto dikeh for best actress nominee! angry

2 Likes

Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by daben1(m): 8:57am On Sep 07, 2014
Lol, mr. Ibu

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by Nobody: 8:57am On Sep 07, 2014
If you mean actors of Nigerian descent that can win an Oscar , I'll say there are a few who can win it but if you mean Nigerian based actors , none can win it in this millennium.

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by DKbarry(m): 9:00am On Sep 07, 2014
Director's category, obi emelonye ( mirrow boy and last flight to abujâ).. Actress Nse ekpe etim.. Actor Hakeem Kae-Kazim..
NB: they re All new nollywood celebs..

They re really good..

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by dollydolly(f): 9:02am On Sep 07, 2014
I sincerely think Nse Ikpe Etim is a wonderful actress that I would like to work with. She is very good at what she does n I think with d right script n ryt director/production she is good to go.

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by CyberEBOLA(m): 9:02am On Sep 07, 2014
[size=50pt]OK[/size]
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by gee147: 9:03am On Sep 07, 2014
RIP sam loco,,,,still my best actor

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by Lailerh(f): 9:08am On Sep 07, 2014
Ali Nuhu grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by doctorofgirls(m): 9:12am On Sep 07, 2014
I think they are all performing below standard
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by mondee02(m): 9:15am On Sep 07, 2014
NSE IKPE ETIM
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by neighbourhud: 9:26am On Sep 07, 2014
Anyone that joins "illuminati" and rises to a "comfortable" rank. undecided
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by Nobody: 9:27am On Sep 07, 2014
dahmie2013: None! My Leonardo Dicapirio hasn't won any embarassed embarassed, even after acting dat super The Avaitor, in short oscar, dia ris Godoooooo! Nywys, he's releasing 5 block busters next year, let's see if oscar won't give him d award after so many yrs of denial.

abi o,imagine o 5 nominations without winning 1...i pray he wins an Oscar soon...when this kinda of actor hasn't won the academy award that's where you thinking of Nigeria's low concept actors...well i don't blame them when they use three to seven days to act film,how do you expect an academy with such movie...though we trying but we need to step up our game...the films we do make before this civilization in the industry are far better than the clueless movies we are expected to buy now...i hope we win an academy one day.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by firstjoe(m): 9:31am On Sep 07, 2014
Sanyeri... grin cheesy
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by Nobody: 9:35am On Sep 07, 2014
Joshuadon:

smiley [s]AND I SEE U BENDIND ZO HARD MORE DAN A COPPER WIRE AND I SEE NIGERIAN ACTORS/ACTRS WHO WON THE OSCAR AWARD AND MORE...............[/s]
grin grin grin grin
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by Pain(m): 9:36am On Sep 07, 2014
How about focusing and developing our home grown and unique African Movie Awards? Why cant we make it a platform that even American Actors would yearn for its awards? Why do Africans have such a low sense of communal esteem?

Whilst I attest to the fact that the Oscars are of very high standards, we need to shift from the age old mentality of believing everything from Africa is inferior and everything from America is eternally superior.

I even believe we have more we can learn from Bollywood in terms of truly engaging entertainment as opposed to the bland movies being released by Hollywood in recent times.

Wake up children of Nubia ! Wake up !
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by kunlesehan(m): 9:39am On Sep 07, 2014
Dymondgurl: Nse Ikpe Etim
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by MissTeaseMe(f): 9:49am On Sep 07, 2014

His acting in the Avaitor was Epic. Have you seen the Great Gatby? He was fantastic!
Let us keep dreaming of winning oscar, very unprofessional nollywood.
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by duni04(m): 9:50am On Sep 07, 2014
Noelle01: Nse Ikpe Etim all the way. That babe is good!
Don't like her. She's more gra gra than real acting.

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by sexzskil(f): 9:53am On Sep 07, 2014
A Nollywood actor win oscar? Not in this world, or in the coming world nor the world to come after! First of all, they are relatively unknown, they actually talentless, speak jargons and all that and you are talking OSCARS. JOKES OF THE MILLENIUM. Lmao! You couldn't even say an MTV movie Award which is even a bit unrealistic. There are countless of great movies in Hollywood that never saw the light of a Golden Globe nomination talkless of the Academy Awards, how much then some obscure so-called actors in a mediocre nation or invisible industry? A whole Hollywood legend like Leonardo DiCaprio never win Oscar, active since 1970s, chaiiiiiiiii, am damn irritated!
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by amnestylaw1(m): 9:54am On Sep 07, 2014
Idrismusty97: Him!
Or Mr Ibu

Shey na those kain faces dey win Oscar? Take your time o. tongue

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by duni04(m): 9:55am On Sep 07, 2014
MissTeaseMe:
His acting in the Avaitor was Epic. Have you seen the Great Gatby? He was fantastic!
Let us keep dreaming of winning oscar, very unprofessional nollywood.
Wonder why they didn't niminate him for his role in that movie. He did better there than in wolf of wall street
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by MissTeaseMe(f): 9:57am On Sep 07, 2014
prof800:
Where on planet earth have you been?

@phrezzz...
Winning an Oscar or not winning an Oscar is not important...
...but to answer your question, "Any Nigerian actor CAN actually win the Oscars."

It is not a difficult feat and I wouldn't want to discuss the clumsy fuzz.

Adepero Oduye also acted in 12 years a slave and her performance was top notch as well.
She featured as 'Eliza'.
Watch her perfomance here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utBKmU1TJIg
[img]http://knightleyemma.files./2013/12/12-yrs-eliza.jpg[/img]

...she is a Nigerian-American actress and she is more experienced than Lupita. See her IMDb page here:http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1323822/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t17
...we all know why she didn't get a nomination. (same reason Halle Berry won her first Oscars lipsrsealed )

[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNw-IJDwhbJhICMW6TNXp3TzM5NG0yRDLi6_yzryvPL0mJR2SubaR-7w[/img]

pretty ain't she?

If she was given the 'Patsey' role played by Lupita, I'm pretty sure she would have killed that role.

If you're referring to Nollywood actors then I believe there are even Tones of talents on the street that can deliver that role clean.

Also...
Besides Adepero Oduye, There are loads of other Nigerian actors and actresses presently in Hollywood and they can get lucky in winning the Oscars someday.

Some of the actors of Nigerian origin in Hollywood are:

Triple A
www.nairaland.com/attachments/670499_adewale_akinnuoye_agbaje_jpg70a74cd164b25029e22a3db6899c8c4f

Osas Ighodaro (Cadillac records, 2008)
www.nairaland.com/attachments/670680_Osas_Ighodaro_jpg57f63b77ee21bea334af250a067e6fb1

Uzo Aduba (from Orange is the new Black)

Dayo Okeniyi
[img]http://hungergamesfandom.files./2012/03/thg-atlanta-small.jpg?w=549&h=411[/img]

and most recently our one and only Stephanie Okereke Linus

https://www.nairaland.com/1824374/stephannie-okereke-plays-slave-hollywood

visit this thread to see more:https://www.nairaland.com/902363/talking-hollywood-moviestars-nigerian-origin

Adepero's 'let me cry'. sad
You made very valid points. It will be possible IF the "Nigerian" actor/actress was

*playing a role in a very "deep" story

*Or interpreting the role of an Important true life personality

*And the movie production Must be top notche with good script interpretations all through and handled by a director that knows what he is doing

You wont find any of this in Nollywood, so it is only possible for us to win it in Hollywood. Let us call a spade a spade, i wont cos of patriotism deceive myself.

2 Likes

Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by Okijajuju1(m): 10:00am On Sep 07, 2014
phrezzz: So i was just watching the movie 12YearsASlave. Am not much of a movie freak so you would understand my slowness in watching this movie at this time. The script to the acting to the directing was so on point. Was very proud (Did my research that Narthop Solomon) was a Nigeria-British actor but what drew my awesomeness for the film was Lupita Nyong'o the Kenya Beauty. Her interpreting the Role was Superb. The whipping scene was class shoutout to Mcqueen. And i most totally say she deserves the oscar award. For a second i tried to match any Nollywood Actress who could have acted as Pasty and brought in so much life to the character.

None..

Reason: they don't spend time to research any role and they have been so type casted it is almost impossible for them to break out of their usual character. Example: Patience Ozokwo, nice actress she indeed is, but she can't play roles outside of wicked woman as her audience now know her for that role. Same for Pete Edochie, he must be s big man or a respectable village man..

Maybe I would nominate only Omotola Kehinde because I have seen a lot of versatility in her acting.

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by MissTeaseMe(f): 10:01am On Sep 07, 2014
duni04:
Wonder why they didn't nominate him for his role in that movie. He did better there than in wolf of wall street
Same tot i had.
Maybe to reduce his chance of winning undecided
The great gatby is A CLASSIC (one of the best fiction ever written according to the writers guild) and as such many would have looked forward to such a story winning Lots of awards by the time it was made into a movie.
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by sexzskil(f): 10:03am On Sep 07, 2014
Pain: How about focusing and developing our home grown and unique African Movie Awards? Why cant we make it a platform that even American Actors would yearn for its awards? Why do Africans have such a low sense of communal esteem?

Whilst I attest to the fact that the Oscars are of very high standards, we need to shift from the age old mentality of believing everything from Africa is inferior and everything from America is eternally superior.

I even believe we have more we can learn from Bollywood in terms of truly engaging entertainment as opposed to the bland movies being released by Hollywood in recent times.

Wake up children of Nubia ! Wake up !
You must have noticed that no one really buy into your imbe.cility this time around, you must have dreamt of gathering many gullible likes as usual, this means both you, your sentiment and the INFERIOR stuffs you stand for are now becoming more irrelevant. Face the bitter reality bro, i know its hard though, but face it!!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by Davidbanky(m): 10:07am On Sep 07, 2014
sexzskil: A Nollywood actor win oscar? Not in this world, or in the coming world nor the world to come after! First of all, they are relatively unknown, they actually talentless, speak jargons and all that and you are talking OSCARS. JOKES OF THE MILLENIUM. Lmao! You couldn't even say an MTV movie Award which is even a bit unrealistic. There are countless of great movies in Hollywood that never saw the light of a Golden Globe nomination talkless of the Academy Awards, how much then some obscure so-called actors in a mediocre nation or invisible industry? A whole Hollywood legend like Leonardo DiCaprio never win Oscar, active since 1970s, chaiiiiiiiii, am damn irritated!

God bless u jare, as for Nigerian actors/actress they better wake up, and stop dreaming ...

1 Like

Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by donlyricz(m): 10:08am On Sep 07, 2014
John o Okafor
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by oliidell(m): 10:09am On Sep 07, 2014
It's my opinion, so if u feel differently, build ur own list. Besides, u can do wit some exposure. U sound very limited.
belzieee: no pete edochie and mercy Johnson or even Rita Dominic.. This is crap
Re: Which Nigerian Actor Or Actress Can Win An Oscar by optimusprime2(m): 10:11am On Sep 07, 2014
IMHO, Olu Jacobs, RMD, or Genevieve Nnaji

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

All The Zombie Horror Fans - The Walking Dead (AMC's epic series) [Season 2) / GOTV Or STARTIMES, Which Is Better? / BBNaija: I’m Not Playing Games With You – Emmanuel Tells Liquorose

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.